Is Gulbis the One To Watch [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Gulbis the One To Watch

Pages : [1] 2

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 06:46 AM
This kid is no rookie. He moved to Munich when he was 12 to be coached by guess who? None other that Niki Pilic and we all know who that is. Niki is responisible for taking Djokovic under his wing.

In fact, Gulbis has hit a little with Djokovic from time to time. At only 19 the sky may be the limit for Gulbis. He does have some weapons to work with. He has a deadly forehand and a big time serve. His 2 hander is rock solid.

I hear that he travels on his own private jet. Is there any truth to that? Family is reputed to have monster wealth. So he is rich and talented.

Spanking Blake might have been no accident. Is he moving on to stardom? your thoughts?

Can he make some noise at Wimby this year?

habibko
05-30-2008, 06:56 AM
Ernests Gulbis first caught my attention at the 2007 US Open, humiliating boredo and giving Moya a run for his money, but one never knows after seeing fast burners like Gasquet so I'd give it a little more time.

EDIT: he didn't play against Fish my mistake.

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 06:59 AM
Ernests Gulbis first caught my attention at the 2007 US Open, beating Fish in a 5 setter and humiliating Robredo and giving Moya a run for his money, but one never knows after seeing fast burners like Gasquet so I'd give it a little more time.

i guess you are right. Gasquet never had the mental apparatus needed to be a warrior and his one hander has been hugely overrated.

Gulbis has some stuff to work with. we will see how it all plays out.

prima donna
05-30-2008, 07:03 AM
Can you stop it ?

Kolya
05-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Lapentti will confuse the kid with his game.

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 07:07 AM
Lapentti will confuse the kid with his game.

i am actually watching some of of his match against Blake now. i have to say that i am seriously impressed with his game and his composure. Blake looks stressed and confused.

His serve is huge and his ground game is rock solid. He could take out Lapentti.

Action Jackson
05-30-2008, 07:11 AM
Bandwagon thread.

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 07:19 AM
Bandwagon thread.

not really. i am not that crazy high on him. i am just wondering how others feel.

he could be a diamond in the rough. he has the right beginnings. only time will tell. is he slam material? that is what i want to know.

evidently you dont realize that i am only on one bandwagon. i am on the side of the clay monsters--Vilas, Muster, and Nadal. that never changes.

Kolya
05-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Come on Clay Death beating Blake on clay means nothing.

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 07:33 AM

i hear you. that is why i said that lets see how things pan out with him at Wimby.

A good player should be able to adapt reasonably well to all surfaces. His serve is huge so that will go long way on faster courts. He had a good U.S. Open last year so there is something to build on there.

it will be interesting to see how far he goes.

JimmyV
05-30-2008, 07:35 AM
A win over Blake on clay means nothing. Had it been a win over a true clay master like Ginepri then it would have warranted a bandwagon thread like this.

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 07:39 AM
A win over Blake on clay means nothing. Had it been a win over a true clay master like Ginepri then it would have warranted a bandwagon thread like this.

Can he make the quarters? Now that would make it a good tournament for him.

i am always looking for newcomer who can make some noise at a slam and take home some scalps.

Speaking if Ginepri, I saw that Ginepri interview yesterday. He said he is doing a lot of work off the court which is paying off. he is also happy with his coach. he added that he should be at his peak as a player by next year.

Adler
05-30-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm afraid he'll lose to Lapentti and we'll all forget about him till he wins 2 matches in a row again

-Evita-
05-30-2008, 08:05 AM
Ernests Gulbis first caught my attention at the 2007 US Open, beating Fish in a 5 setter and humiliating Robredo and giving Moya a run for his money.

Gulbis didn't play with Fish at the 2007 US Open, he beat Starace, Berrer and Robredo. And Gulbis has never won a 5-setter, in fact he has never played one. All his Grand Slam wins prior to yesterday were in 3 sets, losses were in 3 or 4 sets. So Gulbis achieved a significant milestone in his GS career against Blake - he recovered from one lost set and went on to win the match. :)

As his fan, I don't want to set my expectations very high because Gulbis has disappointed me during the last year very often. But he's getting better so I'm cautiosly optimistic.

finishingmove
05-30-2008, 09:39 AM
Bandwagon thread.

no , why?

gulbis was the favourite , everyone knew that.

yeah i think he's the one to watch , his (big) breakthrough could come any moment.

here's another thread involving him indirectly

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=108167&highlight=promising

JMG
05-30-2008, 09:42 AM

He wasn't. :rolleyes: Check the odds.

finishingmove
05-30-2008, 09:51 AM
:rolleyes: Check the odds.

buy a tv...

groundstroke
05-30-2008, 12:14 PM
He's definitely one to watch, he's a player that, on a great day for him, is basically unbeatable.

hilluis
05-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Definitely. Looks a potential top 10 player. Solid, good serve, even temperament... can only improve.

Smasher
05-30-2008, 01:10 PM
This kid is no rookie. He moved to Munich when he was 12 to be coached by guess who? None other that Niki Pilic and we all know who that is. Niki is responisible for taking Djokovic under his wing.

In fact, Gulbis has hit a little with Djokovic from time to time. At only 19 the sky may be the limit for Gulbis. He does have some weapons to work with. He has a deadly forehand and a big time serve. His 2 hander is rock solid.

I hear that he travels on his own private jet. Is there any truth to that? Family is reputed to have monster wealth. So he is rich and talented.

Spanking Blake might have been no accident. Is he moving on to stardom? your thoughts?

Can he make some noise at Wimby this year?
Gulbis might be the one to watch, but you aren't the one to listen to.

Ivanatis
05-30-2008, 02:14 PM

nope
could have gone either way

in their 1st-round match there was no big difference
and the clay season so far even saw Blake as a favourite

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 02:52 PM
Gulbis might be the one to watch, but you aren't the one to listen to.

dont worry. you will be listening soon enough. it just pains some people that i may be right.

he is the one to watch down the road. like i said, he seems to be making all the right moves.

so what happened to Nicolas Lapenti today? looks like Gulbis took him apart. He has some stuff to work with old sport.

Magus13
05-30-2008, 02:55 PM
The kid is legit. No Bandwagon here. Been saying it for over a year now. Game reminds me of Safin. I think he is 6'3 moves well. Strong from both wings, big serve, good at net, game translates on all surfaces. This year inside top 25, next year a run at top 10.

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 03:01 PM
The kid is legit. No Bandwagon here. Been saying it for over a year now. Game reminds me of Safin. I think he is 6'3 moves well. Strong from both wings, big serve, good at net, game translates on all surfaces. This year inside top 25, next year a run at top 10.

i dodnt realize he was that big. that means easy power, thanks to leverage.

his game does indeed translate well across different surfaces. i am anxious to see how well he does on grass this year.

gulzhan
05-30-2008, 03:04 PM
he certainly is handsome enough ;)

wilmar
05-30-2008, 03:45 PM
no wonder i just read an article earlier today that he was nicknamed "Baby Djork"...
wealth and talent?!? some guy just have it all!

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 03:56 PM
no wonder i just read an article earlier today that he was nicknamed "Baby Djork"...
wealth and talent?!? some guy just have it all!

he moved to Munich when he was 12 to be coached by Niki Pilic. Niki is responsible for taking Djokovic under his wing.

this is a good showing for him here at Roland Garros. i am starting to get impressed. lets see if he can take his high octane game and do some damage on grass.

very much like Djokovic. he has finishing power and penetrating depth off either wing. that serve is huge also.

miura
05-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Gublis began playing at age five when his grandmother first brought him to a tennis court. Father, Ainars, is an investment business and former basketball player, mother, Milena, is a drama theatre actress. Has three sisters, Elina (22), who is studying law in England; Laura (13 and Moinka (9), who are both playing tennis; and one brother, Kristops (15), who builds model cars and planes. Grandfather was a starter on former Soviet Union national basketball team which won the European Championships. Speaks Latvian, Russian, English and a little German. Enjoys playing soccer, basketball and hockey. Considers hard courts his favourite surface and serve and the backhand drop shot his best shot. Member of Latvian Davis Cup team and has a 9-5 career record (5-3 in singles) in seven ties. Fitness trainer is Chris Pealger and coached by former ATP pro Niki Pilic (since 2002) and trains at Pilic's Tennis Academy in Munich (since age 12).

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Gublis began playing at age five when his grandmother first brought him to a tennis court. Father, Ainars, is an investment business and former basketball player, mother, Milena, is a drama theatre actress. Has three sisters, Elina (22), who is studying law in England; Laura (13 and Moinka (9), who are both playing tennis; and one brother, Kristops (15), who builds model cars and planes. Grandfather was a starter on former Soviet Union national basketball team which won the European Championships. Speaks Latvian, Russian, English and a little German. Enjoys playing soccer, basketball and hockey. Considers hard courts his favourite surface and serve and the backhand drop shot his best shot. Member of Latvian Davis Cup team and has a 9-5 career record (5-3 in singles) in seven ties. Fitness trainer is Chris Pealger and coached by former ATP pro Niki Pilic (since 2002) and trains at Pilic's Tennis Academy in Munich (since age 12).

holy smoke. you know too much. he is definitely in godd hands with Niki Pilic.

shotgun
05-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Clay Death is like a cheated husband. Always the last one to find out what's going on.

miura
05-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I just copied the info from my new book, noone goes around knowing that his favourite players little brother likes to assemble model cars and planes ;).

Best 20$ I've spent.

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/big/WTAATPG08-big.jpg

erica
05-30-2008, 09:10 PM
I just copied the info from my new book, noone goes around knowing that his favourite players little brother likes to assemble model cars and planes ;).

They don't? :awww: I must be somehow strange then :tape:

-Evita-
05-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Gulbis' coach is Karl Heinz Wetter now (former coach of Jurgen Melzer), he split up with Pilic after the US Open last year. Gulbis was asked about his time in Pilic academy in the post match press conference today and here's what he said (I don't have the English original so I'm translating back from a Latvian translation (http://esports.lv/teniss/30052008-gulbis_labi_ka_rit_bus_brivdiena)):

I came to Pilic academy when I was 12. I remember him saying then that he doesn't wish to coach anyone anymore, he's had enough of it. But when I was 15 he offered to come with me to tournaments because he thought my game was promising. And so we grew together from qualifying for Futures till the 4th round of the US Open 2007. I think he was tired from all the traveling, he was getting older and wanted to stay home more often. But we didn't part as enemies - we sat down, talked about everything and decided it was for the best. Now I've asked him to come to Wimbledon to see me play. I hope he will arrive.

Another thing he mentioned was that he was still tired from the previous match and he was very glad that today's match lasted only 3 sets, he wasn't sure he would have had strength for more sets. He assured everyone that he would be good and ready to play on Sunday.

He was also asked how his game has changed over the last year, which shot is better now. Gulbis said everything has improved but mostly his fitness. He said fitness is important in order for him to be able to carry out his game plan, to know that he won't get tired.

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 09:12 PM

Best 20$ I've spent.

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/big/WTAATPG08-big.jpg

i will need to get this book. thanks miura.

zicofirol
05-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Bandwagon thread.

+1, clay clown makes this proclamation 2 years after many here have been following gulbis...

Albop
05-30-2008, 10:35 PM
You are hell of a Bandwagoner CD.

sammy01
05-30-2008, 10:47 PM
he could be but hes so raw to me, he just hits. i think to be a very good player he will need some good guidance.

jitterbug
05-31-2008, 01:41 AM
holy smoke. you know too much.

You can get all that on Wikipedia.

aeronatasha
05-31-2008, 01:47 AM
I found this interesting..

"Introduced to the sport by his grandmother, Gulbis developed his game at Nikki Pilic's academy - he and Djokovic were junior practice partners. Gulbis says he's beaten the Serb in practice matches, but there was always one important difference between them. "I was like, I go to practice - 'yeah, okay'," Gulbis shrugged. "And he was really into it, so that's why it pays off now, you know."

http://tennisworld.typepad.com/travelblogue/2008/05/french-open-gul.html

Novak.. :lol: That boy is such a shark, I love it.

Clay Death
05-31-2008, 02:47 AM
he could be but hes so raw to me, he just hits. i think to be a very good player he will need some good guidance.

well he has the basics down cold and has serious weapons to work with. consistency, tactics, strategy, and the like are next.

if he beats Llodra, he gets Djokovic. that match might show us what he is made of. i wonder if he can take a set from Djokovic.

thoughts? can he beat Llodra?

Merton
05-31-2008, 03:37 AM
He was among those to watch for quite some time now, if by "those to watch" one refers to young players with good potential. Saying that he is "the One" after the win against Blake is something between tabloid sensationalism and knee-jerk reaction. By the way, the win against Lapentti is more informative than the win against Blake.

Clay Death
05-31-2008, 03:43 AM
He was among those to watch for quite some time now, if by "those to watch" one refers to young players with good potential. Saying that he is "the One" after the win against Blake is something between tabloid sensationalism and knee-jerk reaction. By the way, the win against Lapentti is more informative than the win against Blake.

a win against Llodra and a solid contest against Djokovic will reveal even more info.

what i am interested in knowing is if the mtf folks believe he is slam material. could he be a threat for a slam in 2-3 years?

i am not ready to make any such concessions. he does look to heading in the right direction.

Merton
05-31-2008, 03:58 AM
a win against Llodra and a solid contest against Djokovic will reveal even more info.

what i am interested in knowing is if the mtf folks believe he is slam material. could he be a threat for a slam in 2-3 years?

i am not ready to make any such concessions. he does look to heading in the right direction.

The win against Lapentti shows that Gulbis can deal with the challenge of a player that has a lot of variation in the use of slices and spins and knows clay intimately well. This is definitely a sign of progress compared to say losing against Safin after trying to overpower him at the AO. Gulbis certainly has slam winning potential in my mind, but of course so do many other players, the key word is potential, whether it is realized or not is a different question. Obviously he may never win one.

Clay Death
05-31-2008, 04:18 AM
The win against Lapentti shows that Gulbis can deal with the challenge of a player that has a lot of variation in the use of slices and spins and knows clay intimately well. This is definitely a sign of progress compared to say losing against Safin after trying to overpower him at the AO. Gulbis certainly has slam winning potential in my mind, but of course so do many other players, the key word is potential, whether it is realized or not is a different question. Obviously he may never win one.

is he more talented than Gasquet at this stage of his career?

miura
05-31-2008, 01:28 PM
is he more talented than Gasquet at this stage of his career?
Atleast on slower surfaces. It would be fun to watch a Gasquet/Gulbis clash in some of the first rounds in Wimbledon ;)

Clay Death
05-31-2008, 02:31 PM
Atleast on slower surfaces. It would be fun to watch a Gasquet/Gulbis clash in some of the first rounds in Wimbledon ;)

if Gulbis wins another match here and puts in great effort against Djokovic, his confidence will soar. his game appears to be ideally suited for faster surfaces but here he is showing some skills on clay as well.

Clay Death
06-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Gulbis' coach is Karl Heinz Wetter now (former coach of Jurgen Melzer), he split up with Pilic after the US Open last year. Gulbis was asked about his time in Pilic academy in the post match press conference today and here's what he said (I don't have the English original so I'm translating back from a Latvian translation (http://esports.lv/teniss/30052008-gulbis_labi_ka_rit_bus_brivdiena)):

Another thing he mentioned was that he was still tired from the previous match and he was very glad that today's match lasted only 3 sets, he wasn't sure he would have had strength for more sets. He assured everyone that he would be good and ready to play on Sunday.

He was also asked how his game has changed over the last year, which shot is better now. Gulbis said everything has improved but mostly his fitness. He said fitness is important in order for him to be able to carry out his game plan, to know that he won't get tired.

clearly his best performance at a slam and on his least favorite surface. this may be a sign of some good things to come from him.

he is going to give Djokovic a little run for his money if he is really on. i think he may take a set from Djokovic.

zicofirol
06-01-2008, 02:48 PM

by "those to watch" it means the latest player to overachiever in a tournament that he had rarely heard off or hadnt followed...

agree that gulbis was on the "those to watch" list a long time ago...

Clay Death
06-01-2008, 02:55 PM
by "those to watch" it means the latest player to overachiever in a tournament that he had rarely heard off or hadnt followed...

he appears to be gaining confidence. if he can learn to hit with a little more topspin and exhibit a liitle more patience, he is going to be very tough to beat. i am very impressed. he has the basics down cold and that serve is simply huge.

fran70
06-01-2008, 05:47 PM

I agree. Not from now but since year an a half ago.:cool:

star
06-01-2008, 05:52 PM
Gulbis has been one to watch for about a year or so.

Djokovic said that Gulbis destroyed him in practice when they were together at Pilic's academy. Some one asked him why then was Gulbis not doing better on tour. Djokovic replied that this was a perfect example of practice and a match being totally different things. -- reminded me of Gerulaitis always beating Borg in practice. :)

KitinovRules
06-01-2008, 06:35 PM
The game of tennis is no secret for the Latvian.
He has everything: amazing serve (1st as well as effective 2nd one), baseline shots are wonderfull, lovely touch at the net. He is resonably quick for his height. If is on, the court coverage is acceptible.
The problem was that his mind could drift away , and unfortunately that was the case in the last 4-5 months.
Maybe the wins against Llodra and Blake have done a lot in increasing Ernest's self confidence.

However, I think that he if he wants to show that he is yet capable of big things on the tournaments that matter, he must show some consistency in the next match against the Faker.

guille&tati4life
06-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Not for me, don't like him, don't rate him. TBH this tournament hasn't proven much. Really had to beat Greul, beating Blake on clay at RG isn't that big a deal, Lapentti played a horrible match and Llodra is Llodra. Before this tournament his only other good one this year was Barcelona.

Hope he beats Djokovic though :p

Clay Death
06-01-2008, 11:46 PM

Djokovic said that Gulbis destroyed him in practice when they were together at Pilic's academy. Some one asked him why then was Gulbis not doing better on tour. Djokovic replied that this was a perfect example of practice and a match being totally different things. -- reminded me of Gerulaitis always beating Borg in practice. :)

then its just a matter of putting everything together. at least he has some serious stuff to work with.

Clay Death
06-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Not for me, don't like him, don't rate him. TBH this tournament hasn't proven much. Really had to beat Greul, beating Blake on clay at RG isn't that big a deal, Lapentti played a horrible match and Llodra is Llodra. Before this tournament his only other good one this year was Barcelona.

Hope he beats Djokovic though :p

this match is the reality test. its a chance to find out how good Gulbis is. lets hope he can make a decent contest.

trixtah
06-01-2008, 11:48 PM

Not to mention the huge brain cramp when trying to serve out the set against Llodra

luie
06-01-2008, 11:55 PM
I like gulbis I hope he gets lots of confidence.......In a year of playing the top dogs should give him the expose he needs to become #1 in the near future.
He has great overall game.

Clay Death
06-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I like gulbis I hope he gets lots of confidence.......In a year of playing the top dogs should give him the expose he needs to become #1 in the near future.
He has great overall game.

i am not sure about #1 but top 10 is a possibility.

luie
06-02-2008, 12:07 AM
Sure I hear he comes from the same coach & academy as novak if he works on his game...In a couple of years it could be nadal I hope together with novak,gulbis,murray ,,changing the #1 position between them....

NinaNina19
06-02-2008, 12:27 AM
Gulbis won't win (probably) but he'll push Djokovic.

Ales_Alessandra
06-02-2008, 12:32 AM
I liked what I saw and for sure will be watching him from now on! :yeah:

Clay Death
06-02-2008, 12:45 AM
I liked what I saw and for sure will be watching him from now on! :yeah:

this really my first good look at him. on clay you can tell so much about a players abilities and his mind.

all looks good so far. now he needs to push Djokovic to show what he is all about.

star
06-02-2008, 01:03 AM
Not to mention the huge brain cramp when trying to serve out the set against Llodra

Yes, that was true in the second set, but not the first or the third. Also his dropshot was woeful. Sad.

He's a talented guy for sure, now we have to see if he has it mentally. I think that it's the mental part of the game that separates the elite from the rest of the pack. He has to be able to sustain the grind of the tour and be mentally tough and focused in the matches. Talent alone isn't enough.

trixtah
06-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Yes, that was true in the second set, but not the first or the third. Also his dropshot was woeful. Sad.

He's a talented guy for sure, now we have to see if he has it mentally. I think that it's the mental part of the game that separates the elite from the rest of the pack. He has to be able to sustain the grind of the tour and be mentally tough and focused in the matches. Talent alone isn't enough.

Well, yeah, but in the first and third he was never under any real pressure. All his passing shots seemed to hit and Llodra looked like he had no chance at all.

star
06-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Well, yeah, but in the first and third he was never under any real pressure. All his passing shots seemed to hit and Llodra looked like he had no chance at all.

That's true, but he served under pressure to get to the tiebreak and then won the tiebreak, so he did show some fortitude at the end of the set. He might have crumbled entirely and lost the set, and then one wonders how the rest of the match might have gone.

Clay Death
06-02-2008, 01:07 AM

4 -5 sets match that is hard fought against Djokovic will make it clear that he has arrived on the scene. he has to try to dictate as well as think out there or Djokovic will kill him.

he needs to hang with Djokovic for at least 3 hours or better.

star
06-02-2008, 01:16 AM
4 -5 sets match that is hard fought against Djokovic will make it clear that he has arrived on the scene. he has to try to dictate as well as think out there or Djokovic will kill him.

he needs to hang with Djokovic for at least 3 hours or better.

Or what? He has no potential if he doesn't? I don't understand your point.

I think that Gulbis may be slower to develop because of his height, but he looks to be a good prospect even if Djokovic blows him off the court tomorrow.

Clay Death
06-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Or what? He has no potential if he doesn't? I don't understand your point.

I think that Gulbis may be slower to develop because of his height, but he looks to be a good prospect even if Djokovic blows him off the court tomorrow.

this match is a bit a of a reality test for him. we will get a chance to find out if he can hang with the top guns.

holding his own against Djokovic and not getting completely destroyed simply means that he is on the right track with his developement.

this effort so far has been his best performance at a slam so far.

star
06-02-2008, 01:25 AM
this match is a bit a of a reality test for him. we will get a chance to find out if he can hang with the top guns.

holding his own against Djokovic and not getting completely destroyed simply means that he is on the right track with his developement.

this effort so far has been his best performance at a slam so far.

I agree that holding his own with Djokovic shows that he's developing nicely. I'm just not prepared to write him off if he doesn't.

luie
06-02-2008, 01:36 AM
I agree with clay death to a certain extent... in federer's early years before he became the dominating force in tennis showed he could hang with the big guns,,,some of his earliest GS success came at RG in 2000 he made the R16 losing to a former finalist alex corretja and again in 2001 made the QF losing to to corretja but even though it was straight set victory he put up a fight... IN short gulbis needs to show he can give a good showing and not be overwhelmed against the established order...
BUT even if it doesn't happen he still has time...but this is a golden oppotunity to signal his arrival..

Clay Death
06-02-2008, 02:08 AM
I agree with clay death to a certain extent... in federer's early years before he became the dominating force in tennis showed he could hang with the big guns,,,some of his earliest GS success came at RG in 2000 he made the R16 losing to a former finalist alex corretja and again in 2001 made the QF losing to to corretja but even though it was straight set victory he put up a fight... IN short gulbis needs to show he can give a good showing and not be overwhelmed against the established order...
BUT even if it doesn't happen he still has time...but this is a golden oppotunity to signal his arrival..

affirmative.

Forehander
06-02-2008, 02:21 AM
A good player, but to be a dominating number one I seriously doubt it. But it would be nice to see another stable player added into the top 10 and be a contender.

Clay Death
06-02-2008, 02:29 AM
A good player, but to be a dominating number one I seriously doubt it. But it would be nice to see another stable player added into the top 10 and be a contender.

he will hit top 20 this year and top 10 next year. jury is still out if he is capable of winning a slam with Fed, Djokovic, and Nadal around.

he does appear to have a more promising future than clowns like Blake, Robredo, Baggy Man, Berdych and the like.

Branimir
06-02-2008, 02:34 AM
Djokovic is simply class above Gulbis. Gulbis will not take single set from Djokovic.

Clay Death
06-02-2008, 03:27 AM
Djokovic is simply class above Gulbis. Gulbis will not take single set from Djokovic.

obviously. one is ranked #80 and the other may be the best player in the world this year.

Gulbis has very little lose now in my opinion. he has made a good showing already on a surface where he didnt expect to do so good. all that is left to do is show that he belongs here among the top guns. he should play relaxed, smart tennis and see what happens.

incredibly, he has lost just one set so far.

dmit424
06-02-2008, 03:48 AM
The irony here is that no one really talked about Gulbis and at the moment, he suddenly looks like he might finish the year as a better and more promising player than Bags, Murray, Berdych, Monfils, Gasquet, and the rest of the gang of hyped young players. Just tough to predict success I guess.

Clay Death
06-02-2008, 04:11 AM
The irony here is that no one really talked about Gulbis and at the moment, he suddenly looks like he might finish the year as a better and more promising player than Bags, Murray, Berdych, Monfils, Gasquet, and the rest of the gang of hyped young players. Just tough to predict success I guess.

affirmative with one exception. Gasquet was the easiest prediction for me. he never had any mental toughness and always caved in under pressure.

sheeter
06-02-2008, 04:20 AM
Lets not be too cruel to gasquet please. And I hope that espn shows a gulbis match soon. I've never seen him play.

Action Jackson
06-02-2008, 04:23 AM

It's like you know the horse that bolted, well that horse has been caught and put back in the stable.

It's not like he has come from absolutely nowhere.

MaryX
06-02-2008, 08:53 AM
I've watched him twice-once against Moya at USO -then I liked what I saw, explosive, talented young player. Other time was against Ljubicic in Zagreb, which was totally different story-pale and unimpressive performance.It is obvious he had some crisis, and some say tennis is not amongst his priorities.So, he is one to watch in the future-any time or from time to time, and it isn't impossible for me to imagine his career similar to Safin's or Nalbandian's.

Clay Death
06-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Lets not be too cruel to gasquet please. And I hope that espn shows a gulbis match soon. I've never seen him play.

the fact is that Gulbis has some weapons and he has the balls. now lets see how far he can go.

Branimir
06-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Gulbis didn't beat anyone that serious yet on clay. Is there any connection between Ernesto Gulbis and Natalie Gulbis (SOOOOOO HOT) ???
:)

http://thesandtrap.com//imgs/lpga/natalie_gulbis_fhm2k6_1.jpg

That's really all I am wondering about. :P:P

seljanin
06-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Gulbis didn't beat anyone that serious yet on clay. Is there any connection between Ernesto Gulbis and Natalie Gulbis (SOOOOOO HOT) ???

No connection between them, but Natalie's father is Latvian.

Clay Death
06-02-2008, 04:31 PM

http://thesandtrap.com//imgs/lpga/natalie_gulbis_fhm2k6_1.jpg

she looks hotter than an industrial furnace. she also looks tall.

who the hell is she?

Mateya
06-02-2008, 05:01 PM
I don't know, but I would rather "play" with Natalie Gulbis than with Ernest.

:inlove: :drool: :devil:

Bazooka
06-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Looks like a good player, but I just saw part of his match against Moya at US Open so can't really say.

It's true that he's in the QF, but no big deal considering his opponents so far.

Greul? 27 years and never won a match on a slam according to RG site.

Blake? LOL, always loses in 2nd round anyways.

Lapentti? 8 years ago he reached 4th round, since then he's been going down. Why should he reach it now, sitting at 32 years? is it that big of a test for Gulbis to defeat him?

Llodra... has never reached the QF either in a long career.

So he has made no upset yet. Gulbis is doing good by winning these opponents, but so far he has had the best draw you can get when ranked out of the top 50. Let's wait and see, his chance is coming soon, but it may be too much.

Clay Death
06-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I don't know, but I would rather "play" with Natalie Gulbis than with Ernest.

:inlove: :drool: :devil:

she is definitely somebody to play with. good luck.

Branimir
06-02-2008, 06:02 PM
All I am saying is that Natalie is one to watch, and not Ernest lol.
CD, she is professional golfer believe it or not! :)
I heard someone said that Ernest is very rich, and all golfers are very rich, so I thought there is some connection.

http://www.xpress4me.com/images/07/12/12/ladies_masters_07_5.jpg

Clay Death
06-03-2008, 01:34 AM
All I am saying is that Natalie is one to watch, and not Ernest lol.
CD, she is professional golfer believe it or not! :)
I heard someone said that Ernest is very rich, and all golfers are very rich, so I thought there is some connection.

http://www.xpress4me.com/images/07/12/12/ladies_masters_07_5.jpg

there might be a connection.

now back to tennis. i think both Fed and Djokovic have been winning with so much ease that it might work against them. It will most definitely work against Fed.

Nadal will be battle tested by the time he gets his hands on Fed. Almgagro and Djokovic are solid tests. Almgaro has now won 29 matches on clay this year.

this also means there is a bit of a chance for Gulbis to catch Djokovic off guard and sneak in a set.

what do you think?

jitterbug
06-03-2008, 01:43 AM
No. I remember reading a Natalie Gulbis Q&A last year where somebody asked her if she's related to Ernests, and she was like: "Uh.. who?"

Clay Death
06-03-2008, 01:49 AM
No. I remember reading a Natalie Gulbis Q&A last year where somebody asked her if she's related to Ernests, and she was like: "Uh.. who?"

thanks. that settles the "connection" question anyway.

luie
06-03-2008, 02:02 AM
Gublis and novak seem to be a good match-up ..gamewise..the mentality the deciding factor

Clay Death
06-03-2008, 02:28 AM
Gublis and novak seem to be a good match-up ..gamewise..the mentality the deciding factor

they have similar games. both have lethal strokes and both have monster serves. both are also 6 foot 3.

the difference is that Djokovic has the experience on the big stage and he is mentally tougher. finally, Djokovic is a better mover.

jole
06-03-2008, 06:13 AM
I've watched him twice-once against Moya at USO -then I liked what I saw, explosive, talented young player. Other time was against Ljubicic in Zagreb, which was totally different story-pale and unimpressive performance.It is obvious he had some crisis, and some say tennis is not amongst his priorities.So, he is one to watch in the future-any time or from time to time, and it isn't impossible for me to imagine his career similar to Safin's or Nalbandian's.

What are people saying are some of his priorities?

miura
06-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Gulbis is definately keeping up as far as the first set is concerned ;)

Clay Death
06-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Gulbis is definately keeping up as far as the first set is concerned ;)

Gulbis needs to get on a bit of a roll and take a set from Djokovvic. this is the beauty of a 5 set match. a good player will get his chances. he just has to capitalize on those chances.

star
06-03-2008, 02:32 PM
I predict Gulbis will pick up quite a number of FedFans if he beats or even threatens Djokovic. :) :)

kafemotor
06-03-2008, 02:34 PM
Cant follow the match throughly due to streaming problem, but looking at the scoreboard, Gulbis seems has his game... Any other links instead of http://de.justin.tv/supersport

yanchr
06-03-2008, 02:35 PM
I predict Gulbis will pick up quite a number of FedFans if he beats or even threatens Djokovic. :) :)
Not today. Cheering for Djokovic today :D

Action Jackson
06-03-2008, 02:37 PM

Starry Starry night, you know this is as inevitable as night following day :)

elessar
06-03-2008, 02:38 PM

For sure :D :p

scarecrows
06-03-2008, 02:41 PM

nadal fans also, no?

FedererSlam
06-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I will be a fan if he beats Djoko just to follow bandwagon and I don't like Nole.

star
06-03-2008, 03:28 PM
nadal fans also, no?

I guess so. I like all three. Gulbis, Nadal, and Djokovic, so I guess I wasn't thinking along those lines. :) :)

MacTheKnife
06-03-2008, 03:29 PM
The kid does have a ton of potential. There are times when he reminds me of Federer in 2000-2001. He has all the shots, good court presence, and his relaxed demeanor are excellent for a 19 year old. We'll see what happens with some more experience. Seen quite a few of these type players that just never panned out when suddenly they were "expected" to win.

Montego
06-03-2008, 03:31 PM
I like this Gulbis. He has Djokovic-like game and much better behaviour.

Clay Death
06-03-2008, 03:32 PM
I guess so. I like all three. Gulbis, Nadal, and Djokovic, so I guess I wasn't thinking along those lines. :) :)

his problem is consistency which will come in time if he is determined enough to get better. he doesnt move as well as the top players. that lack of great movement may keep him beating the best.

i guess only time will tell how far he goes.

star
06-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Cant follow the match throughly due to streaming problem, but looking at the scoreboard, Gulbis seems has his game... Any other links instead of http://de.justin.tv/supersport

They've cut away on my tv to show Nadal, but Gulbis has played well and given Djokovic fits. :) I'm very impressed with him. I suppose if he doesn't win, people will sneer and say he hasn't beaten anyone of consequence, but I see a really talented guy about to make a break through. I, of course, have backed many second rate players so I shouldn't be taken as some sort of oracle. :lol: :lol:

star
06-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I like this Gulbis. He has Djokovic-like game and much better behaviour.

Not too surprising since they were both with Pilic. :

He's a doll. I hope he continues to improve.

star
06-03-2008, 03:35 PM
There are times when he reminds me of Federer in 2000-2001.

Please! I want to like the kid. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Montego
06-03-2008, 03:36 PM
The difference is that Gulbis is looking for winners more frequently, while Djokovis is definitely more patient. I guess it's connected with experience. Gulbis also is playing an equal match with Djoko since the beginning, but made two or three errors in the most important moments. Also experience, as soon as he gets some more of it - he has the potential for a Top10, maybe more.

Action Jackson
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Headstart for the June Bandwagon winner.

jasmin
06-03-2008, 03:39 PM
Well I like him but it doesn't look like it's his time yet.

Montego
06-03-2008, 03:41 PM

:haha: No, I am not a bandwaggoner. But really, the kid has better game than many top-tenners, he only lacks experience.

Clay Death
06-03-2008, 03:45 PM
The difference is that Gulbis is looking for winners more frequently, while Djokovis is definitely more patient. I guess it's connected with experience. Gulbis also is playing an equal match with Djoko since the beginning, but made two or three errors in the most important moments. Also experience, as soon as he gets some more of it - he has the potential for a Top10, maybe more.

johhny mac said the same thing. he said the kid has top 10 potential at his current rate of improvement. he needs consistency.

FluffyYellowBall
06-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Gulbis barely played any junior tennis, just like Nadal. Thats a huge advantage. Hes already so mature, more than Djokovic imo

star
06-03-2008, 04:34 PM

Because that's such a bad thing. :rolleyes:

You can hardly expect people to be a fan of a player they've never had an opportunity to see. It's not enough for me to merely hear from other people that a player is good or follow a scoreboard or news reports. If I hear a young player is good, I will seek him out, but since I'm not wealthy enough to follow the tour all over the place, I can't always see a hot prospect right away.

But, since your main objective here is to sneer at people -- :wavey:

star
06-03-2008, 04:36 PM

Yes. This is why I am anxious to see him play on hardcourts. I want to see how his new court sense translates there. Also, I want to see him move on a hardcout.

NicoFan
06-03-2008, 04:42 PM
You can hardly expect people to be a fan of a player they've never had an opportunity to see. It's not enough for me to merely hear from other people that a player is good or follow a scoreboard or news reports. If I hear a young player is good, I will seek him out, but since I'm not wealthy enough to follow the tour all over the place, I can't always see a hot prospect right away.

I hate the idea of jumping on a player's bandwagon once they get better. But like you, I don't have the money to get to many tournaments, especially now...I used to go to more, but now it's next to impossible. And I also want to see someone before I start to follow them. I would love to be able to go to a lot of tournaments and follow a guy from his younger career, but it's just not possible.

I like this Gulbis kid from what I saw. I proudly jump on his bandwagon. :yeah: :lol:

Action Jackson
06-03-2008, 05:00 PM
I like this Gulbis kid from what I saw. I proudly jump on his bandwagon. :yeah: :lol:

Embracing it and good to see.

Action Jackson
06-03-2008, 05:01 PM

Gulbis made the 4th round of the US Open last year, it's not like he was like Guga in 97 and just came out of nowhere.

jcempire
06-03-2008, 05:48 PM
This Kid is amazing

This is another top 10 member next year or two

Collective
06-03-2008, 07:18 PM
Well he has a 2 handed backhand. The sky is the limit.

Merton
06-03-2008, 07:29 PM

That is a very legitimate point, usually a sure sign of a bandwagon fan is somebody abandoning their player when they are no longer do so well. Marcos is an obvious case but even for Gulbis we heard what an awesome potential he had after dismantling Robredo in the US Open last year only to be promptly forgotten after that.

l_mac
06-03-2008, 07:42 PM
I choose to let this bandwagon pass me by.

Exodus
06-03-2008, 07:46 PM
gulbis is a force to reckon with

Herdwick
06-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Saw a little of him at last year's USO but he didn't get much TV here then and haven't seen him since. Enjoyed what I saw today very much; hope he does well and have him down to watch in future but it's really too early to judge or jump on anything.

Strange how you instinctively warm towards some players and not others. Have still not fathomed why I instantly took against Tsonga, for example.

Clay Death
06-04-2008, 01:01 AM
gulbis is a force to reckon with

i am a litle disappointed in him today. he had some chances today to at least pocket a set and extend Djokovic.

lack of consistency hurt him. that forehand just went on a damn vacation today. he also failed to hold serve at critical times.

all things considered, still a good tournament for him and its something to build on.

luie
06-04-2008, 01:20 AM
He did well !!!!In the near future he could hang with the big guns!!! Good fight kid.

star
06-04-2008, 02:00 AM
i am a litle disappointed in him today. he had some chances today to at least pocket a set and extend Djokovic.

lack of consistency hurt him. that forehand just went on a damn vacation today. he also failed to hold serve at critical times.

all things considered, still a good tournament for him and its something to build on.

You are easily disappointed.

Clay Death
06-04-2008, 02:21 AM
You are easily disappointed.

i think his progress is still on track but he would have left with a even better feeling if he had managed to take advantage of some of his opportunities and taken at least a set.

he is inconsistent which we all knew. he also played some loose game at critical times.

in any case, we move on. lets see how he does on grass. he is definitely a diamond in the rough.

fitness needs to be improved and he needs a better coach to take his game to the next level.

almouchie
06-04-2008, 12:13 PM
i watched a bit of his matchse late year, but have heard about him for 2 year
last year he started to get his act togther a string a few good performances
this year people started to take notice of him
his showing in RG wil surely gives hmi bags of confidence
his matches against djokovic yester reminds me of the final of usa last year, federer won 3 sets but it was novak who was playing
I expect him to move ahead og the likes of mofils,gasquet, murray

Clay Death
06-04-2008, 02:49 PM
i watched a bit of his matchse late year, but have heard about him for 2 year
last year he started to get his act togther a string a few good performances
this year people started to take notice of him
his showing in RG wil surely gives hmi bags of confidence
his matches against djokovic yester reminds me of the final of usa last year, federer won 3 sets but it was novak who was playing
I expect him to move ahead og the likes of mofils,gasquet, murray

i am impressed with his composure and disposition. he has a great attitude and looks fearless. could go far with hard work, determination, and drive.

star
06-04-2008, 03:46 PM
i think his progress is still on track but he would have left with a even better feeling if he had managed to take advantage of some of his opportunities and taken at least a set.

he is inconsistent which we all knew. he also played some loose game at critical times.

in any case, we move on. lets see how he does on grass. he is definitely a diamond in the rough.

fitness needs to be improved and he needs a better coach to take his game to the next level.

I'm not that sure about another coach, but I do agree that he is a work in progress and we have to see how he develops. A lot of this is intangibles as well.

Miss Runcible
06-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Strange how you instinctively warm towards some players and not others. Have still not fathomed why I instantly took against Tsonga, for example.

I agree, Herdwick. That's something I've been thinking about a lot lately, in my post-Henin despair, because there's currently no one in the women's side whose success really matters to me. And in many cases I find indifference even harder to explain than simple liking or antipathy. In principle, I support Ivanovic because she's so adorable and charming - but in practice, when I watch her play, I find it hard to summon much enthusiasm for her game. I want to care, but somehow I don't.

Great game is not enough - otherwise I'd be a fan of Federer, but I'm not. I enjoy watching him play but whether he wins or loses, it does nothing to me either way. Personality probably matters less than one would think - why else would I cheer passionately for Henin, and not for Ivanovic? Or a bizarre case like Ferrer: I like him as a person, but find myself cheering against him most of the time. As a straight female, a male player's attractiveness should make a difference to me - but I think Roddick is quite the hottie, and even used to have a crush on him, and yet when he plays I watch with utter detachment (except on grass).

It's like falling in love... except that it has nothing to do with love. We like to play the expert and feel all superior about recognising a certain player's genius when some others don't, but whatever your level of expertise, I think tennis fandom is at heart completely irrational. I feel terribly smug because I've been a fan of Novak ever since he retired against Coria in RG 2005. I saw an asthmatic little boy in no great shape, losing his match, but something in my brain went 'That's it! That's The One!!!' and ever since I've believed in his success as much as he does himself. No matter what anyone said, about his cheating or retiring or cockiness or supposed lack of talent: nothing could change my mind. He may say or do things that annoy the hell out of me, he could even eat puppies for breakfast, but put him on court and I care so much it hurts.

That bizarre, painful, delicious sensation of caring about the outcome of a match so passionately, as if your life depended on it - it's great but it makes absolutely no sense. Which is why I find it amusing when people try to rationalise their likes - as if there were a mathematical formula to prove that Player X > Player Y, while taking no account of actual rankings or titles won - and pounce on every shred of 'evidence' to back up their dislikes.

It's not even supposed to make sense.

star
06-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Ms. Runcible, that was a fantastic short essay on fandom. :) :)

Clay Death
06-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Ms. Runcible, that was a fantastic short essay on fandom. :) :)

agreed star. some exceptional writing skills there.

scoobs
06-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Gulbis has nice legs.

scoobs
06-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Superb post, by the way, Miss Runcible - one of the most sensible and meaningful posts I have seen on MTF in some little time.

I maintain, though, that Gulbis has nice legs.

Clay Death
06-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Gulbis has nice legs.

negative. Ana Ivanovic,Maria Kirilenko, and Elena Dementieva have the legs. now that is from my vantage point.

scoobs
06-04-2008, 07:18 PM
negative. Ana Ivanovic,Maria Kirilenko, and Elena Dementieva have the legs. now that is from my vantage point.
Yes, dear, but I'm queer so I'm looking at the other side of the fence.

NinaNina19
06-04-2008, 07:18 PM

:rolleyes::o

Clay Death
06-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes, dear, but I'm queer so I'm looking at the other side of the fence.

i have no idea what you are talking about. i thought i might as well mention the legs i like. no big deal. just love watching those 3 play. Elena could win a little more but such is life. she has no one to blame but herself for what happened today.

BIGMARAT
06-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Gulbis is hot! thats for sure!

Herdwick
06-04-2008, 08:00 PM
Miss Runcible - thank you. You come here so rarely but when you do it is invariably with a discerning and original post displaying clarity of both thought and expression. Please come here more often.

Clay Death
06-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Miss Runcible - thank you. You come here so rarely but when you do it is invariably with a discerning and original post displaying clarity of both thought and expression. Please come here more often.

that was a good post indeed.

based on what you have seen of Gulbis and Monfils so far, who has looked more impressive? this could be an interesting question.

Ferru had played 2 straight 5 setters going into his match today so i dont know if that was a factor today. still an impressive dismantling of Ferru by Monfils.

Clay Death
06-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Gulbis is hot! thats for sure!

he is proving that he can play on grass. a win over Murray would be huge for him.

he is my dark horse for the quarters at Wimby. just like Djokovic, he can play a little on all surfaces.

yesterday i predicted that E Gul could take the match against Murray in 3 sets. lets see how it all plays out.

ChocGeek
06-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Future top 10 player.

Clay Death
06-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Future top 10 player.

how long will it take him? i really think he had this match today. he just let it get away from him.

arm
06-12-2008, 06:27 PM
The japanese guy playing Nadal is the one to watch.. :eek: He is afraid of noone... :eek:

Off topic I know. Sorry.

Clydey
06-12-2008, 06:29 PM
how long will it take him? i really think he had this match today. he just let it get away from him.

I don't think he had it at all. He lost the last 2 sets 6-1, 6-4. You can't say he "lost" the match, then. He served at 67% first serves in. Murray won it by being more aggressive in the last 2 sets. And he deserved it.

Gulbis will be up there within a year or even less. Off topic, but I like the look of this Nishikori kid, too. Really taking it to Nadal.

Stensland
07-22-2008, 01:21 AM
i haven't seen gulbis for a while and i'm pretty surprised that he hasn't developed any more. all the weapons and weaknesses he's showing off right now vs. acasuso have been part of his game forever. he's still overpowering his forehand like a teen. i mean, is that it? is that his game, no strings attached? if so, i must say that it seems pretty disappointing. and we're talking about acasuso here, it's not that hard to outsmart him tactically on hc, let alone technically.

someone enlighten me please and tell me that this is just some kind of momentary lapse. there must be more to him anyways, after all he managed to challenge nadal in london a couple of weeks ago.

Clay Death
07-22-2008, 01:27 AM
i haven't seen gulbis for a while and i'm pretty surprised that he hasn't developed any more. all the weapons and weaknesses he's showing off right now vs. acasuso have been part of his game forever. he's still overpowering his forehand like a teen. i mean, is that it? is that his game, no strings attached? if so, i must say that it seems pretty disappointing. and we're talking about acasuso here, it's not that hard to outsmart him tactically on hc, let alone technically.

someone enlighten me please and tell me that this is just some kind of momentary lapse. there must be more to him anyways, after all he managed to challenge nadal in london a couple of weeks ago.

i hope he can get through. first match can be tough for some. he probably just need to get his bearings right.

i think he has some weapons to work with. his serve has that easy, fluid motion.

i believe he will just have to win more and that should get the ball rolling. he did well on clay in Paris which is not supposed to be his best surface.

winning will cure what ails him. sustained match play furnishes you with confidence and some rhythm.

Stensland
07-22-2008, 02:02 AM
he currently plays gonzalez' all-or-nothing-tennis. crazy errors with brilliant shots inbetween. gulbis still desperately needs consistency. i would've thought that's exactly the department his coach would've focused on over the last year or so. this is what killed him vs. moya in 07 when he made that great run in new york and crushed robredo on the way.

wilmar
07-22-2008, 02:07 AM
he is obviously talented and a potential threat, but I wonder how much his ludicriously previleged background and upbringing will affect his level of hunger/maturity in tennis.

Stensland
07-22-2008, 02:12 AM
he is obviously talented and a potential threat, but I wonder how much his ludicriously previleged background and upbringing will affect his level of hunger/maturity in tennis.

he's made it this far, which says a lot. he's obviously very good at decoupling and knows what he wants.

Clay Death
07-22-2008, 02:12 AM

good point. in a way, he can just concentrate on his tennis since he never has to worry about money.

he will have to regroup here or he is out. Acacuso is an old, weak clay court player at best. E Gul lost the 2nd set 6-3.

Stensland
07-22-2008, 02:15 AM
E Gul

e-gul-eye ... that might grow on me, nice nickname. :lol:

Clay Death
07-22-2008, 02:17 AM
e-gul-eye ... that might grow on me, nice nickname. :lol:

lets root for E-Gul.

scoobs
07-22-2008, 02:18 AM
He is becoming more skilful at using the strengths of his game better but like any player he still has bad days and he still has days where he just wants to hit the cover off the ball no matter what. He's got weapons and will continue to develop - how far they will take him, I don't yet know.

wilmar
07-22-2008, 02:21 AM
yes, being obscenely well-off can work both ways.
probably I brought up the point becoz I expected more from Gulbis by now. Too much too soon on my part?

leng jai
07-22-2008, 02:22 AM
How is Gulbis' volleying? I've only seen him play at Wimby versus Nadal and his volleying display there was as bad as Safin's hawkeye challenges.

Stensland
07-22-2008, 02:23 AM
@ cd - i'm rooting for the kid ever since he demolished that sorry boredo-guy at the u.s. open last year, but i'm afraid he's been too long with his current coach. there's just no news in his game, so i'm recommending someone who can deal with rough diamonds. lundgren must be underemployed with baghdatis these days, gulbis should call him up.

luie
07-22-2008, 02:27 AM
yes, being obscenely well-off can work both ways.
probably I brought up the point becoz I expected more from Gulbis by now. Too much too soon on my part?
You cannot be faulted..look our resident predictor of the obvious is BACK..he FIRMLY stated that novak had surpassed fed on ALL surfaces,then looked what happen to Novak. IT will happen in time but it will go down as wanting something to happen too soon.:wavey:

bjurra
07-22-2008, 02:32 AM
How is Gulbis' volleying? I've only seen him play at Wimby versus Nadal and his volleying display there was as bad as Safin's hawkeye challenges.

His volleys are without doubt his weakest shot.

As for the Acasuso match, Enest is usually not that poor. Seems to be in a bad mood.

Clay Death
07-22-2008, 02:35 AM
@ cd - i'm rooting for the kid ever since he demolished that sorry boredo-guy at the u.s. open last year, but i'm afraid he's been too long with his current coach. there's just no news in his game, so i'm recommending someone who can deal with rough diamonds. lundgren must be underemployed with baghdatis these days, gulbis should call him up.

affirmative. i noticed Niki Pilic in the stands when E-Gul was playing the Clay Monster at Wimby. he must be doing some advising behind the scenes.

i agree. he needs somebody like Killer Cahill or even Peter Lundgren.

well he has this match now. he should be serving for the match.

F-Dance has Ancic on the ropes as well.

Stensland
07-22-2008, 02:39 AM
yeah i'm pretty sure pilic still works as some sort of supervisor in gulbis' camp. e-gul grew up in his academy in munich anyways, so the bond's presumably pretty strong; pilic has been the second dad for many young kids over the years.

lundgren would be great simply because he's a fun guy, just like e-gul. i remember german commentators talking about gulbis when he was rising from the ashes last year. apparently pilic had to ground the kid back in the days when he was partying too much, bringing home girls every night and stuff. :D good kid, this e-gul. ;) he would get along well with lundgren.

tennizen
07-22-2008, 02:40 AM
:haha: Served twice for the match and got broken:retard:

Stensland
07-22-2008, 02:41 AM
tell me about it.

Clay Death
07-22-2008, 02:41 AM
yeah i'm pretty sure pilic still works as some sort of supervisor in gulbis' camp. e-gul grew up in his academy in munich anyways, so the bond's presumably pretty strong; pilic has been the second dad for many young kids over the years.

lundgren would be great simply because he's a fun guy, just like e-gul. i remember german commentators talking about gulbis when he was rising from the ashes last year. apparently pilic had to ground the kid back in the days when he was partying too much, bringing home girls every night and stuff. :D good kid, this e-gul. ;) he would get along well with lundgren.

looks like i spoke too soon. he is choking. couldnt take care of his serve. he had this set and the match in the bag. its a complete choke job at this point. he is down on his serve again.

E-Gul better get his act together here fast.

scoobs
07-22-2008, 02:43 AM
No match commentary on live matches in GM please.

Clay Death
07-22-2008, 02:44 AM
No match commentary on live matches in GM please.

my mistake. i forgot about it.

Stensland
07-22-2008, 02:44 AM
my god, this was mathieu-like. ridiculous errors, ridiculous shot selection. acasuso must be laughing his ass off.

Guy Haines
07-22-2008, 02:45 AM
I guess he's the one to watch...self-destruct tonight. :mad:

Once the match is done I'd like to hear what the hell happened.

PoliFanAthic
07-22-2008, 02:52 AM
Wow, I can't believe he gave that one away. Such a poor performance in that second part of the third set, it's beyond my power of comprehension.

scoobs
07-22-2008, 02:53 AM
Work needed on mental strength.

PoliFanAthic
07-22-2008, 02:55 AM
It's weird in a way, isn't it? He was under very little pressure with two breaks up - even though his serve wasn't working that well - and he'd beaten bigger fish than Acasuso.

And those unforced errors, phew!

Stensland
07-22-2008, 02:56 AM
Work needed on mental strength.

actually that used to be something he excelled in. this match was just surreal in all kinds of ways. :o

Guy Haines
07-22-2008, 02:57 AM
I know the first match after change of surface can be rough, but this result is really disappointing -- more disappointing than if he'd played lousy from start to finish and lost in two.

From the way Ernests was talking after his Wimbledon loss, he seemed sincerely invested in figuring out how to add to his game.

Losing a 5-1 third-set lead lead to...Acasuso? :o There is no way Ernests was doing anything besides knocking himself out with nonstop stupid hard-hitting. Maybe it's good I didn't see it...

Merton
07-22-2008, 03:04 AM

Gulbis is clearly finished, he might as well start his search for a new career since he is still quite young.

Stensland
07-22-2008, 03:07 AM
Gulbis is clearly finished, he might as well start his search for a new career since he is still quite young.

don't try to ridicule me, i didn't mean it that way. it's just that i seem to have overrated him a bit in terms of maturity. obviously his performances are still pretty volatile, to put it this way.

Merton
07-22-2008, 03:17 AM
don't try to ridicule me, i didn't mean it that way. it's just that i seem to have overrated him a bit in terms of maturity. obviously his performances are still pretty volatile, to put it this way.

Not at all, your post has two very serious problems, and one just serious. The first very serious problem is the assumption that Gulbis is stagnating, on the basis of a single match. The second is the assumption that Gulbis can play at the level he displayed against Nadal at will, while his style will always ensure some volatility in results. In my mind he is doing fine, even if he does nothing outdoors I believe that his improvement will become obvious later in the year indoors.

The serious problem is downplaying his opponent in this match, yes, Chucho has been bad recently and yes, he is atrocious in the return of serve department but he can be quite dangerous on hardcourts, especially in a match where his opponent is gifting him free points.

Clay Death
07-22-2008, 03:20 AM

very disappointing. he had several chances to finish the deal in the 3rd set.

i wasnt able to watch this match. what the hell happened? he has one of the biggest serves around.

Smoke944
07-22-2008, 03:21 AM
very disappointing. he had several chances to finish the deal in the 3rd set.

i wasnt able to watch this match. what the hell happened? he has one of the biggest serves around.

65 forehand UEs :eek:

Clay Death
07-22-2008, 03:24 AM
65 forehand UEs :eek:

thats either just horrible or plain careless. i am shocked.

Smoke944
07-22-2008, 03:25 AM
thats either just horrible or plain careless. i am shocked.

It was just plain horrible.

Stensland
07-22-2008, 03:26 AM
The first very serious problem is the assumption that Gulbis is stagnating, on the basis of a single match.

...which is why i asked people to explain his game to me as i wasn't aware of his form at the moment. like i said: i haven't watched him for some time.

The second is the assumption that Gulbis can play at the level he displayed against Nadal at will, while his style will always ensure some volatility in results. In my mind he is doing fine, even if he does nothing outdoors I believe that his improvement will become obvious later in the year indoors.

did you watch the match? and if so: are you kidding me? :o

The serious problem is downplaying his opponent in this match, yes, Chucho has been bad recently and yes, he is atrocious in the return of serve department but he can be quite dangerous on hardcourts, especially in a match where his opponent is gifting him free points.

he really didn't do that much. i'm dangerous, too, when people gift me free points. the match wasn't won by acasuso, it was lost by gulbis.

Clay Death
07-22-2008, 03:38 AM
It was just plain horrible.

affirmative. this kind of melt down needs to be avoided. he did have 19 aces but could not summon his big serve when he needed it the most.

also 2 for 10 (20%) on the break points is pathetic. nobody gets that many chances on hard courts.

Smoke944
07-22-2008, 03:40 AM
affirmative. this kind of melt down needs to be avoided. he did have 19 aces but could get summon his big serve when he needed it the most.

also 2 for 10 (20%) on the break points is pathetic. nobody gets that many chances on hard courts.

He won 4/25 second serve points in the last two sets, that's all you need to know :p

Clay Death
07-22-2008, 03:44 AM
He won 4/25 second serve points in the last two sets, that's all you need to know :p

plain horrible indeed. so his second serve is similar to Monfil`s second serve in terms of effectiveness. he is off to a miserable start for the North American hard courts circuit.

Merton
07-22-2008, 03:51 AM
did you watch the match? and if so: are you kidding me? :o

Not all of it, the point is that I have seen other matches where Gulbis is similarly atrocious. Especially considering that it was his first match on hard courts, really there is nothing to be concerned about for the moment.

he really didn't do that much. i'm dangerous, too, when people gift me free points. the match wasn't won by acasuso, it was lost by gulbis.

The problem is that Gulbis cannot just "take something off the ball", he has to stay aggressive otherwise his opponent can hurt him from the ground. I don't know how you play, but it is a good guess that this simple adjustment would be sufficient against you. It wasn't against Chucho. In my mind the result itself (at this moment in Gulbis development) is not surprising, but the timing of it is extremely surprising given that Chucho has been atrocious recently.

Action Jackson
07-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Gulbis is already a has been.

vincayou
07-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Today on MTF, Gulbis is the one to bash.

oranges
07-22-2008, 08:59 AM

Nah, he's still the one to watch, but it's difficult not to wonder at this.

ChocGeek
07-22-2008, 10:18 AM

You have got to be kidding...

Puschkin
07-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Gulbis is one to watch, yesterday's defeat does not change that. It is all part of the learning curve.

Voo de Mar
07-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Gulbis is one to watch, yesterday's defeat does not change that. It is all part of the learning curve.

Definitely he is the one to watch; always interesting to watch a match when a player with huge serve loses having 5:1 in the decisive set :drool: Unfortunately I went to sleep at 5:2 Gulbis :mad:

miura
07-28-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm I the only one thinking Ernest has started to hold back a little in the baseline rallies? I mean, he only really attacks the ball if he is in a really good position, and his backhand is not very penetrative as of late. He sort of just hits it back from where it comes from, his returns are all over the place, like he is nervous or something. He lacks the recklessness he had during the grasscourt season. Could this pressure come from the attention he has gotten lately, after he had some good matches and built a better reputation against high ranked players?

finishingmove
07-28-2008, 05:19 PM
he seems to have problems breaking his opponent even when he's the better player.

definitely a mental issue he needs to work on.

Sallydaisy
07-28-2008, 05:34 PM
he seems to have problems breaking his opponent even when he's the better player.

he's now 5-2 up in the 2nd set and serving for the match so he's managed 2 breaks of serve......

miura
07-28-2008, 05:45 PM
He got his game together after the second set agasint Nieminen. Exquisite touch on the drop-shot, power off both wings (© Clay Death ;) and good returns. I hope he can keep this form throughout the tournament and aquire some points :)

Stensland
01-06-2009, 05:27 AM
is anyone thinking that ernie looks 10 years older than last year? i haven't watched him play for quite some time and i feel like he's a whole different person on the outside.

~*BGT*~
01-06-2009, 05:38 AM
He's looking really solid. Like, his legs look beefier than the last time I saw him.

TeamID
01-06-2009, 05:48 AM
is anyone thinking that ernie looks 10 years older than last year? i haven't watched him play for quite some time and i feel like he's a whole different person on the outside.

How does he look right now? Just dropped serve again...

TurtleTennis
01-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Gulbis pisses me off, he better finish this set and not let it get away from him like he always does

~*BGT*~
01-06-2009, 05:55 AM
How does it look right now? Just dropped serve again...

Gulbis pisses me off, he better finish this set and not let it get away from him like he always does

You can't discuss matches in progress in GM. :)

Stensland
01-06-2009, 05:59 AM
He's looking really solid. Like, his legs look beefier than the last time I saw him.

yeah that's true. he seems to be a bit fatter than the last time i watched him.

ClaudiuS
04-12-2009, 03:02 PM
I hope his results get better when he gets a new coach. Because this year has been :help:

Clay Death
04-12-2009, 03:12 PM
yeah that's true. he seems to be a bit fatter than the last time i watched him.

something has clearly gone wrong. he showed some promise year ago but now it looks like free fall.

this dude had some weapons. what the hell happened to him? at the rate of his progress about 1 year ago, i would have thought he had a shot at top 20.

ossie
04-12-2009, 03:15 PM
gulbis will fail, mark my words

Burrow
04-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes, he definately looks fatter.

He has only reached 3 quarter finals I think, so he hasn't done much.

On top of that the last time he won back to back matches was in July 2008.

Johnny Groove
04-12-2009, 03:26 PM
He should work a blue collar job for a few weeks, Ferrer style, to really appreciate what he's got.

Clay Death
04-12-2009, 03:50 PM
He should work a blue collar job for a few weeks, Ferrer style, to really appreciate what he's got.

thats not going to happen. that in fact maybe his problem. he is just too damn rich and probably not too motivated or driven like some of the others.

his own private jet takes him to the tournament sites around the globe.

miura
04-12-2009, 04:09 PM
I haven't given up quite yet..

Clay Death
04-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I haven't given up quite yet..

well he is young enough so the time is on his side. he needs to set some goals but it all starts with better fitness for him.

Guy Haines
04-12-2009, 04:52 PM
I'd like Ernests to play well.

Bad fitness already isn't a good sign.

When he was on the rise I didn't attach as much importance to his familial megawealth because pro tennis players in the top 20-40 are pampered and rich to put it mildly. The thing is, now he's denting the lower reaches of the top 100 and can still live the high life.

Back when he gave Nadal a tough match in the Wimbledon first round he gave off good signs that he was in it to learn and build his big game.

But at last year's French he got as far as he did because of a chump draw. So he's about to really drop some points.

Burrow
04-12-2009, 05:23 PM
I'd like Ernests to play well.

Bad fitness already isn't a good sign.

When he was on the rise I didn't attach as much importance to his familial megawealth because pro tennis players in the top 20-40 are pampered and rich to put it mildly. The thing is, now he's denting the lower reaches of the top 100 and can still live the high life.

Back when he gave Nadal a tough match in the Wimbledon first round he gave off good signs that he was in it to learn and build his big game.

But at last year's French he got as far as he did because of a chump draw. So he's about to really some points.

What?

Guy Haines
04-12-2009, 05:24 PM
What?

Lose/drop some points. I'll add that.

Burrow
04-12-2009, 05:30 PM
Yeah I thought you meant that and that is one of the big reasons why he is holding onto a top 50 ranking and nearly at a career high.

He will probably be dumped out early and be well outside the top 50, shame because this guy can definately play great tennis.

I was really hoping that he could beat Nadal at Wimbledon last year, that could have been his first big win and a major breakthrough perhaps.

Wasn't to be though and he will probably be playing challengers again.

Guy Haines
04-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Yeah I thought you meant that and that is one of the big reasons why he is holding onto a top 50 ranking and nearly at a career high.

He will probably be dumped out early and be well outside the top 50, shame because this guy can definately play great tennis.

I was really hoping that he could beat Nadal at Wimbledon last year, that could have been his first big win and a major breakthrough perhaps.

Wasn't to be though and he will probably be playing challengers again.

I was torn with that one because somehow I like both Nadal and Ernests.

Ernests is still quite young and seems smart in interviews, so things can change. It seems like all the Next Big Thing talk hasn't done him any favors, It's been hanging around his neck for such a long time now, even before '07 USO, though I guess that's when it really started.

His draws in the majors last year were really really unkind. Safin in the first round of the Australian was rough because you know Marat wanted to school him and put the beatdown on him. (I loved it when Marat did the same thing and then some to Djokovic at Wimbledon.) RG was his best draw.

At Wimbledon, he played Nadal the toughest in a way, until the weather helped turn the final into an epic. He was the only player there to lead Nadal for a while in the early stages. The USO loss to Roddick was the one that really bugged me. In the first set he was amazing. That and Tsonga in the Australian semis was the most dynamic hard court tennis I saw last year. But it seemed like he didn't want to ruin people's nights by beating Roddick. He just kinda lapsed.

This year, draws don't even matter because he just seems out of it. If he just got a new coach, maybe that'll help.

HattonWBA
04-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Gulbis = Over rated one dimensional mug, decent game but nothing more, average backhand, excellent forehand, average movement and a decent drop shot but is not worthy of all this hype unless he starts to consruct points better and vary his game style depending on surface, opponent etc and not just playing the same way all the time regardless of it being his strength. Will be possible top 20 but other than that, hard to tell because still young, dissappointing start to 2009 for him though

~*BGT*~
04-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Korolev >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gulbis

leng jai
04-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Yes, he definately looks fatter.

He has only reached 3 quarter finals I think, so he hasn't done much.

On top of that the last time he won back to back matches was in July 2008.

Its been that long? Vamos.

Sapeod
04-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Gulbis is becoming a joke on the tour. Hasn't won consecutive matches for about 7 months or so :o

fred perry
04-13-2009, 10:24 PM
he probably smokes and drinks too much to be a great one.

ORGASMATRON
04-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Spoilt brat. Worst player ever.

ClaudiuS
08-14-2009, 12:27 AM
Alejo Falla > > > Gulbis :D

Burrow
08-14-2009, 12:32 AM
Gulbis doesn't seem to have much motivation, he was playing pretty well mid 2008 and has dropped off the ship, if this rut continues for another year or so then I don't know if he will ever come good.

Everko
08-14-2009, 12:37 AM
one to watch shit himseld down the rankings maybe.

stzenit
08-14-2009, 12:39 AM
one to watch shit himseld down the rankings maybe.
This.

ClaudiuS
08-14-2009, 12:43 AM
Bandwagon thread.

Lets check it out :D

This Kid is amazing

This is another top 10 member next year or two

Future top 10 player.

nope.

Gulbis will be up there within a year or even less.

:lol:

He's definitely one to watch, he's a player that, on a great day for him, is basically unbeatable.

:worship:

Definitely. Looks a potential top 10 player. Solid, good serve, even temperament... can only improve.

Maybe I can forgive this on, it isn't much nonsense as the rest of the posts iIqouted in this massive bandwagon thread, Potential top 10 player, maybe.. he showed it in some matches during 2008, but that isn't enough. But FUTURE top 10? hell no!

Mateya
08-14-2009, 10:03 AM
I didn't find my post here, but back then I thought he will be a solid top 20 player and no more. He was clearly overrated.

i am actually watching some of of his match against Blake now. i have to say that i am seriously impressed with his game and his composure. Blake looks stressed and confused.

His serve is huge and his ground game is rock solid. He could take out Lapentti.

:haha: :haha:

Bargearse
08-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Gulbis just needs to play some Challengers and try to string a couple of wins together. If he can do that at a lower level and rebuild his game and confidence, he could be competitive again and back into the top 40. At the moment, he is entering and trying to qualify for tournaments that he simply isn't good enough for and he needs to accept that fact before things can improve.

Burrow
08-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Lets check it out :D

nope.

:lol:

:worship:

Maybe I can forgive this on, it isn't much nonsense as the rest of the posts iIqouted in this massive bandwagon thread, Potential top 10 player, maybe.. he showed it in some matches during 2008, but that isn't enough. But FUTURE top 10? hell no!

What did people say about Gonzalez when he was 20?

ClaudiuS
08-14-2009, 05:47 PM
What did people say about Gonzalez when he was 20?

Gonzalez was pretty average when he was 20, he won his first ATP title that year. Very few guys here in Chile were labeling him as a future top 10 player, I honestly didn't think he would reach the top 10 at that time. He won the RG in juniors and he reached the N°1, but beyond that... nothing more. He was Chile's Number 3 by that time.

Gonzo exploded when he was 22.

But about Gulbis, is something more than his results. He plays like he's having a lack of interest about it.

Burrow
08-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Gonzalez was pretty average when he was 20, he won his first ATP title that year. Very few guys here in Chile were labeling him as a future top 10 player, I honestly didn't think he would reach the top 10 at that time. He won the RG in juniors and he reached the N°1, but beyond that... nothing more. He was Chile's Number 3 by that time.

Gonzo exploded when he was 22.

But about Gulbis, is something more than his results. He plays like he's having a lack of interest about it.

Exploded is the wrong word, he cracked the top 20 and then he won IS titles and went back down the rankings.

Gulbis could potentially win more prestigious titles, he has more to his game but he seems to play for fun rather than for a living and success. He obviously doesn't need the money.

Stensland
08-17-2009, 05:47 PM
could someone update me on his current coach? i googled this wetter guy that used to coach him (and according to atpworldtour.com still does) but apparently they seperated in february. does ernie have a new one?

it's fairly clear to me that ernie's the type of guy that needs someone guiding him. it used to be pilic's firm hand that got him up there in the first place but once he was able to make his own decisions, he pretty much faded out slowly but surely. just relocate to the states and get gilbert, ernie, he's the type of guy that could develop your game andsort out your obvious mental problems.

maki925
08-17-2009, 08:50 PM
^I've found only this:

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=57364.

oranges
08-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Rrainer, he was with Pilic sometime before Wimbledon, but Niki said he can't travel with him all the time, so it was supposed to be temporary. AFAIK, there's been no news of anyone new taking over, so perhaps they still work together, kind of like Brett and Cilic.

habibko
01-07-2010, 07:01 PM
taking a set off Fed the first time he plays him isn't too bad, he clearly has the game to beat the best, it's all in the head.

Certinfy
01-07-2010, 07:02 PM
No way, disgrace to tennis IMO.

Navratil
01-08-2010, 03:08 PM
I thought so a few years ago, but now ...??

a_boy
01-08-2010, 03:59 PM
Is he one to watch? The Stockholm police probably think so. :p

habibko
05-02-2010, 03:34 AM
interesting to read some of the old comments about him here, he needs more experience, belief and mental toughness and who knows, maybe the new Safin?

ad-out
05-02-2010, 03:36 AM
No way, disgrace to tennis IMO.

Jason! :(

interesting to read some of the old comments about him here, he needs more experience, belief and mental toughness and who knows, maybe the new Safin?

habs :speakles: and then :hug:

Stelle
05-02-2010, 03:42 AM
For Roland Garros yes, his coach is excellent and the most calmest person i have ever seen. Dark Horse for RG for sure.

Clay Death
05-02-2010, 04:06 AM

habs this guy impresses in every way.

with a little more hunger and drive, he will arrive at top 10 one day.

he has the gift old sport. i can just see it.

Orka_n
05-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Well, someday I'm sure he'll be in the top 10. But future #1? I doubt it.

Filo V.
05-02-2010, 05:42 PM
Depends on how much he improves the next year.

fran70
05-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Definitely he has the shots. Let`s see if Gumy can change his mind.