Blake's post match press conference was VERY BITTER sounding [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Blake's post match press conference was VERY BITTER sounding

martinatreue
05-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Get over yourself and this "I just need to play my game" stuff. Stop blaming the COMMENTATORS! What a bunch of BS!!! So glad that Patrick McEnroe fired back and said "he just got outplayed" :haha:

RickDaStick
05-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Pmac cost Blake a lot of money today. That's why he is bitter

-Evita-
05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Is there a transcript somewhere? Or better yet, a video?

Roland9
05-29-2008, 04:51 PM
Is there a transcript somewhere? Or better yet, a video?

Should be here sooner or later: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/index.html

scoobs
05-29-2008, 04:53 PM
That match was Blake at his most brainless on court - just trying to hit winners at outrageous pace from anywhere on court with little or no thought processes whatsoever.

I'm delighted he lost. There's a difference between power tennis and brainless ball bashing and Blake exhibited the latter today. Where he got the idea that raw power is the key on clay I have no idea but he's not exactly reading the game is he.

The Freak
05-29-2008, 05:01 PM
Enough with these worthless thread martinatreue.
Go write a blog somewhere, I'm sure it would be great. You can even include when Fed hitting a 100 mph forehand earlier! :eek:

El Legenda
05-29-2008, 05:15 PM
you suck Blake, dont blame Pmac for your sucking

MusicMyst
05-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Both Fat Dave and Blake the Fake lost today. Sometimes, life is good. :)

rocketassist
05-29-2008, 05:53 PM
He's just smarting because he got schooled by a more gifted player than him. :wavey:

Deboogle!.
05-29-2008, 06:00 PM
Wait, what'd PMac say? :lol:

Byrd
05-29-2008, 06:04 PM
I never understood how Blake plays that way when he went to Harvard, you would of thought he would set up the point and go for logical choices, rather than bashing the shit out of the ball. Gulbis deserved the win.

Fumus
05-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Here's what Blake said...

“I think in any close match there are going to be opportunities going both ways,” Blake said. “He took advantage of his. I didn't take advantage of mine. The match was just poor, not within my game. I think I played the way too many commentators think I should play. Saying I probably didn't make very many errors, and I didn't hit that many winners. And that's the way a lot of them think I should play, and I think today was a good indication of that's not the way to win matches for me. I lost to a guy ranked No80 in the world. Granted, he didn't play like No80 in the world, he played better than that, but there are a lot of guys out there that can dictate play against me if I try to play like that.
That's just really frustrating for me to play a match like that when I know my game, I know what works best for me, and I didn't necessarily do it effectively today.”

Blake has only reached the third round once before, and with a reasonable draw that had him potentially facing world No3 Novak Djokovic in the quarter-finals, it was thought that he could break the US second week drought. The fast American loves to dictate with his forehand and jump on return of serves, but on clay, he is nowhere near as consistent off the ground as at times, going for outright winners when he is out of position.

“The Americans a lot of times don't have the highest expectations on clay,” said Blake said, “but I really felt like this match today was a match I could have won and could have had some better success here at the French. I did okay at Rome, and felt like I could have done better this whole clay court season. But now the only option really is to forget about it, because I can't do anything to change it now.”

EAT IT PMAC!!!111 one one

Deboogle!.
05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
PMac's never said he should play like that...

oh james, there's a big difference between playing passive and not going for shots and playing SMART, aka not going for return winners ALL The time :o

Fumus
05-29-2008, 06:32 PM
James shouldn't be playing a certain way just because the commentators say so, and oh! and James, losing doesn't prove to the commentators that they are wrong, only winning does that.

Deboogle!.
05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
He also shouldn't be so stubborn and playing a certain way just because it's what he's used to. Last night on TTC Robby said he thinks he's getting better on clay because he's trying to adapt his game to it a little bit. Shocking.

Lee
05-29-2008, 06:44 PM
He also shouldn't be so stubborn and playing a certain way just because it's what he's used to. Last night on TTC Robby said he thinks he's getting better on clay because he's trying to adapt his game to it a little bit. Shocking.

What? Are you saying Ginepri uses his brain and James does not? :eek:

just in case, here's my sarcastic side

Deboogle!.
05-29-2008, 06:49 PM
What? Are you saying Ginepri uses his brain and James does not? :eek:

just in case, here's my sarcastic side:haha: :haha: Well, not brain, but maybe Robby is a little less stubborn ;) He also was smart enough to hire a really good coach so maybe he's not as dumb as he leads people to believe ;) I mean, this is the main reason I don't really support James anymore. You can only watch him unnecessarily go for a 2nd serve return winner at BP late in a set so many times before you get so frustrated you can't watch anymore ;)

MusicMyst
05-29-2008, 06:49 PM
What a pathetic slap at "commentators" in that press conference. :lol: Either be a man and tell P-Mac that you think he's a lousy Davis Cup coach or shut the hell up.

Fumus
05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
It's alittle bit easier for Ginepri to adapt his game to clay than it is for Blake. Genepri is a counter puncher, so it's easier, plus hits in a western plays with a shiiiton more spin, anyways(Adreev in straight sets, btw).

It doesn't matter adapt or not, Blake is Blake. He has essentially the same problems on every surface. When he's hot he's really hot and when he's not he's really not.

Deboogle!.
05-29-2008, 06:53 PM
It doesn't matter adapt or not, Blake is Blake. He has essentially the same problems on every surface. When he's hot he's really hot and when he's not he's really not.Absolutely, he does the same stupid shit on every surface, that's why it's so annoying and it's why it's absolutely ridiculous that he's saying these mysterious commentators are telling him to play differently. :lol:

dmit424
05-29-2008, 06:56 PM
"I think I played the way too many commentators think I should play. A lot of people that talk about tennis don't play tennis, and they don't play me. It's funny that today was a perfect example of what not to do in my game."

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french08/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=3416819

What a sad sack. You, James, DO play tennis, and you're dumb enough, apparently, to blame not yourself, but the commentators for their suggested "strategy" for your loss, all the while indicating that you believe, apparently, that playing an all-out-power game for 99 out of 100 matches and then using a "softer" strategy for one match is an adequate attempt to better your strategy.

Corey Feldman
05-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Want a tissue, Blakey?

Fumus
05-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Absolutely, he does the same stupid shit on every surface, that's why it's so annoying and it's why it's absolutely ridiculous that he's saying these mysterious commentators are telling him to play differently. :lol:

Oh well, from the way I read it he said he was playing poorly today, so he went to like a "plan B" which was passive or whatever and let Gulbis push him around. So he's like say "AHA! There commentators! see! see! It didn't work!". Playing passive isn't a game plan, a game plan is patterns of play, know strength weakness matchups.

This is all completely ridiculous anyways because I didn't notice any chance in his play at all. He was still going for super forehand, etc...right up until the last game when Gulbis was serving for the match! Nice time to go to "Plan B" James! :o

Lee
05-29-2008, 07:02 PM
There's a thread already and is actually on the first page of GM. :p

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=124516

ReturnWinner
05-29-2008, 07:02 PM
lol not even Federer fans have made such a stupid excuse.

scoobs
05-29-2008, 07:05 PM
If James Blake is trying to tell us he has ceded control over his on-court game plans to the US commentary team, he deserves whatever he gets anyway :)

Fumus
05-29-2008, 07:05 PM
merge me.

Lee
05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
If James Blake is trying to tell us he has ceded control over his on-court game plans to the US commentary team, he deserves whatever he gets anyway :)

Well, if his aim is really PMac, it's a different story as he's DC team captain. ;)

MusicMyst
05-29-2008, 07:20 PM
Well, if his aim is really PMac, it's a different story as he's DC team captain. ;)

Well, of course it's PMac, but Blake doesn't have the cujones to say so outright. Not that PMac won't get the hint, which is why it's so stupid for Fake Blake to say what he said.

scoobs
05-29-2008, 07:26 PM
You'd think a former Harvard student would understand there's a difference between "play more intelligently" and "play more passively".

MusicMyst
05-29-2008, 07:26 PM
You'd think a former Harvard student would understand there's a difference between "play more intelligently" and "play more passively".

You'd think another former Harvard student would understand that there aren't 57 states in the US. ;)

dam0dred
05-29-2008, 07:31 PM
"The commentators made me do it."

Blake hits a new low.

scoobs
05-29-2008, 07:32 PM
You'd think another former Harvard student would understand that there aren't 57 states in the US. ;)
Oh my God, who?

Lee
05-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Well, of course it's PMac, but Blake doesn't have the cujones to say so outright. Not that PMac won't get the hint, which is why it's so stupid for Fake Blake to say what he said.

I hope you didn't miss my ;) there.

MusicMyst
05-29-2008, 07:41 PM
I hope you didn't miss my ;) there.

I didn't, but I wasn't done dumping on Blake yet! :devil:

Deboogle!.
05-29-2008, 07:41 PM
You'd think a former Harvard student would understand there's a difference between "play more intelligently" and "play more passively".My point exactly. Same old crap from James all the time.

Well, of course it's PMac, but Blake doesn't have the cujones to say so outright. Not that PMac won't get the hint, which is why it's so stupid for Fake Blake to say what he said.But the thing is, i've never heard PMac say anything like that. Sure Pmac has said he should play smarter sometimes and not ALWAYS go for the winner outright, but that's hardly telling him to not go for his shots and just keep the errors down. PMac has never said that about James, i'm sure of it. So if that's what James thinks then that's just ludicrous :lol:

MusicMyst
05-29-2008, 07:43 PM
My point exactly. Same old crap from James all the time.

But the thing is, i've never heard PMac say anything like that. Sure Pmac has said he should play smarter sometimes and not ALWAYS go for the winner outright, but that's hardly telling him to not go for his shots and just keep the errors down. PMac has never said that about James, i'm sure of it. So if that's what James thinks then that's just ludicrous :lol:

Gee, I had no idea that you attend all the Davis Cup coaching sessions so you would know every single exchange between PMac and Blake.

elessar
05-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Oh my God, who?

I remember Obama saying something like that :haha:

scoobs
05-29-2008, 07:49 PM
I guess being thick as pigshit worked for Reagan and both Bushes :shrug:

sawan66278
05-29-2008, 07:52 PM
James is SO right...After all, he's made it to...um....slam...um...semis...um...playing his...um...style of play...

The man wouldn't know how to spell "strategy" if it were written on his tennis bag...along with his Maxim mag and Obama tome...:rolleyes:

Where's the J-Block when you need them?

Emmaloo
05-29-2008, 07:54 PM
What's new? James does this all the time. It seemed really aimed at PMac too which is really interesting, but every single commentator makes comments on his game and how he should play it. It's their job.

If he really paid attention to what they were saying he'd have a psychologist on staff by now.

Deboogle!.
05-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Gee, I had no idea that you attend all the Davis Cup coaching sessions so you would know every single exchange between PMac and Blake.If he said it to him in capacity of DC Captain, I don't think he would've said "too many commentators" - he may be stubborn but he's not stupid, he's clearly making it sound like he hears it all the time on TV and is pissed about it, not what PMac is saying to him in practice, and I don't think it takes a mind-reader or psychologist to understand what he's saying. I see you haven't gotten over our last tussle to see that I was pretty much agreeing with you, that's quite a shame.

hra87
05-29-2008, 07:56 PM

lol, it's funny 'cause he meant to say 47 but actually said 57. LOL.

MusicMyst
05-29-2008, 07:58 PM
If he said it to him in capacity of DC Captain, I don't think he would've said "too many commentators" - he may be stubborn but he's not stupid, he's clearly making it sound like he hears it all the time on TV and is pissed about it, not what PMac is saying to him in practice, and I don't think it takes a mind-reader or psychologist to understand what he's saying. I see you haven't gotten over our last tussle to see that I was pretty much agreeing with you, that's quite a shame.

Oh, please, get a life. And a clue.

You make mtw sound like Solomon.

sammy01
05-29-2008, 07:59 PM
That match was Blake at his most brainless on court - just trying to hit winners at outrageous pace from anywhere on court with little or no thought processes whatsoever.

I'm delighted he lost. There's a difference between power tennis and brainless ball bashing and Blake exhibited the latter today. Where he got the idea that raw power is the key on clay I have no idea but he's not exactly reading the game is he.

i agree totaly. it was brainless ball bashing and its says something that gulbis hit with more thought than he did. if he thinks thats the way to play on clay then hes just ignorant.

Emmaloo
05-29-2008, 08:00 PM
I think it's jumped on that it was aimed at PMac because ESPN made that connection. Of course it has to be true if ESPN singled out the moment and then focused on PMac.

PMac didn't seemed phased by it, and like I said the commentators get played to talk about the players games, and what they should be doing.

prima donna
05-29-2008, 08:01 PM
I guess being thick as pigshit worked for Reagan :shrug:
:rolleyes:

tangerine_dream
05-29-2008, 08:06 PM
James should be angry with himself for that performance. It was a winnable match and he flaked out yet again. :rolleyes:

I swear, sometimes I feel the Americans are like the Three Grey Sisters in greek mythology, where they all have one brain, one heart, and one pair of balls to share amongst themselves. I guess it's Robby's turn to have them this week.

scoobs
05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
James should be angry with himself for that performance. It was a winnable match and he flaked out yet again. :rolleyes:

I swear, sometimes I feel the Americans are like the Three Grey Sisters in greek mythology, where they all have one brain, one heart, and one pair of balls to share amongst themselves.
:lol:

Davydenkon
05-29-2008, 08:32 PM
James was the underdog in this match. Why are people surprised he lost?

Clay Death
05-29-2008, 08:50 PM

I swear, sometimes I feel the Americans are like the Three Grey Sisters in greek mythology, where they all have one brain, one heart, and one pair of balls to share amongst themselves. I guess it's Robby's turn to have them this week.

negative. man has just got to know his limitations. he doesnt know that he is a clown. its clowns like him that make Fed even bigger than he is.

why didnt he just hang himself after losing to Kei in Florida. that was on fast hard courts.

krystlel
05-29-2008, 09:01 PM
:lol: I'm sure that's not what commentators mean about how he should be playing. I watched the match anyway and he seemed as brainless as ever - it really showed me how clay can really expose the poor tacticians because it looked terrible.

Clay Death
05-29-2008, 09:03 PM
:lol: I'm sure that's not what commentators mean about how he should be playing. I watched the match anyway and he seemed as brainless as ever - it really showed me how clay can really expose the poor tacticians because it looked terrible.

he is a miserable tactician on hard courts as well. this might explain why in 9 of his title wins, he never had to face a player ranked higher that #30.

his strategy: hit like hell. if it comes back, close your eyes and hit even harder.

mdjenders
05-29-2008, 09:07 PM
blake plays like a moron. he always has, and he always will. no top 10 player loses those finals vs. Nishikori and Granollers playing any semblance of smart tennis. with this latest veiled shot at pmac, maybe the captain should bench the whiner and play odesnik or ginepri for the match in spain.

Clay Death
05-29-2008, 09:11 PM
blake plays like a moron. he always has, and he always will. no top 10 player loses those finals vs. Nishikori and Granollers playing any semblance of smart tennis. with this latest veiled shot at pmac, maybe the captain should bench the whiner and play odesnik or ginepri for the match in spain.

ginepri is the obvious choice against spain now. he is simply a smarter player who is more effective on clay than the brain dead, ungrateful clown.

peterparker
05-29-2008, 09:38 PM

Could be cahill, who was critical during his wimbledon run last year.

Who are these commentators anyway, I am sure blake understands his game a lot better than they do and he would school them all on a tennis court. Time to stop reading the presses.

Parker

martinatreue
05-29-2008, 09:42 PM
Well in prior interviews JAMES DID SAY that we would not ADJUST his footwork on clay at all. Thus, Gulbis heard this most likely drop-shotted him into oblivion. Really smart, James. :rolleyes:

MusicMyst
05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
Could be cahill, who was critical during his wimbledon run last year.

Who are these commentators anyway, I am sure blake understands his game a lot better than they do and he would school them all on a tennis court. Time to stop reading the presses.

Parker

Blake doesn't listen to or care what Cahill -- the Aussie Davis Cup coach -- says. It has to be PMac, Blake's own DC captain.

hra87
05-29-2008, 10:31 PM
:rolleyes:

Look out! It's a Republican tennis fan!

TMJordan
05-29-2008, 10:34 PM
Flake sucks :haha:

Deboogle!.
05-30-2008, 12:02 AM
I never really pay(ed) close attention to him on TV, but watching him play live it was amazing how brainless his play was. You could set a watch to the way his whole mind would shut down on every important point - except, I suppose, an area in the reptilian complex telling him to aim for the bleachers and crunch the ball. He was as punctual about it as the Japanese public transport system. :haha:omg, J, you slay me :haha: But you are right on, and this reminds me of the time, must've been 2005 when Ginepri was on his huge run in the summer and a couple of us were watching a match between the two of them in LA and it was late in the 2nd set - Ginepri had won the first - and it was tight, maybe 5all or something, either 30all or a BP for James and Robby misses the first serve and I said to my friend something like "he's gonna go for a return winner and miss it" and sure enough he SMASHED it into the net :rolls: it's his game and his career but if he can't see that toning that down a little bit every now and again might be a good idea, he's the only one who will suffer unfortunately.

El Legenda
05-30-2008, 12:05 AM
to beat Blake all a player needs to do is win the first set, he will do the rest most of the time, he gets down on himself and gives up rest of the way.

GlennMirnyi
05-30-2008, 12:21 AM
I never understood how Blake plays that way when he went to Harvard, you would of thought he would set up the point and go for logical choices, rather than bashing the shit out of the ball. Gulbis deserved the win.

He certainly didn't get into Harvard because of his academic skills. Scholarship for good players tells something to you.

leng jai
05-30-2008, 12:23 AM
I would be bitter too, losing the match after spending hours on the prematch tactical analysis with my coach.

MusicMyst
05-30-2008, 12:35 AM
He certainly didn't get into Harvard because of his academic skills. Scholarship for good players tells something to you.

Actually, the Ivy League schools do not award any athletic scholarships. Which, of course, is why they only play one another. :)

Deboogle!.
05-30-2008, 01:29 AM
He certainly didn't get into Harvard because of his academic skills. Scholarship for good players tells something to you.To be fair I don't know much about Harvard's admissions process (which of course, also admitted the Unabomber;)), but I went to a school with D1 athletics that's also highly rated for its academics and while the football and baseball players (my school's two big sports) maybe didn't have the same credentials the non-athlete applicants had, they were still really smart people and had excellent academic credentials to get in, and I really doubt Harvard is that different. The fact that he had a scholarship means nothing because that's the whole Division 1 process, I think everyone recruited to Division 1 schools get scholarships of some sort, that's the whole point. Blake obviously won't beat many tennis players in an on-court tactical contest, but off-court he's generally fairly well-spoken and eloquent and to me seems intelligent enough. It's the fact that as soon as he steps on court its as if he loses his brain that is so frustrating. But frankly I don't see whether his ability to do math problems or memorize chemistry formulas or French phrases or Shakespeare sonnets has any relevance, he could be the next Einstein off court but he still plays stupidly when he's on court :lol:

sawan66278
05-30-2008, 01:45 AM
I never really pay(ed) close attention to him on TV, but watching him play live it was amazing how brainless his play was. You could set a watch to the way his whole mind would shut down on every important point - except, I suppose, an area in the reptilian complex telling him to aim for the bleachers and crunch the ball. He was as punctual about it as the Japanese public transport system. :haha:

:haha::haha::haha:

When he's talking to reporters, he sounds like Bruce Banner. But on the court, he goes into "Blake Smash" mode...the only thing missing: purple pants.

HNCS
05-30-2008, 01:48 AM
awww Mr.Blake, be glad your clay season is finally over, no more me crigning at your 'clay' tennis. i'll see you on the hardcourts!

leng jai
05-30-2008, 01:49 AM
I will not tolerate anyone undermining Chessmaster Blake's tactical prowess :mad:

Kolya
05-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Blake is arrogant loser.

Merton
05-30-2008, 02:22 AM
PMac was right, James was just outplayed there. I would add he was outhought too which is quite revealing, considering that Gulbis himself is not a tennis tactician by any means.

peterparker
05-30-2008, 03:33 AM
Blake doesn't listen to or care what Cahill -- the Aussie Davis Cup coach -- says. It has to be PMac, Blake's own DC captain.

How do you know? I would guess cahill's opinion is respected even more in the tennis community than pmacs. Cahill was openly irritated about the way blake played one of his matches and blake's post match comments about the match.

Anycase blake has said before that he has experimented quite a bit with his game and believes his hit or miss style maximizes his chances of winning a match.

Parker

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 03:46 AM
PMac was right, James was just outplayed there. I would add he was outhought too which is quite revealing, considering that Gulbis himself is not a tennis tactician by any means.

Gulbis does have some weaponery at his disposal. he may be a rising star. only time will tell. i didnt know he could play well on clay so it is a bit of a surprise for me.

drf716
05-30-2008, 05:01 AM
James shouldn't be playing a certain way just because the commentators say so.
i hate blake but he shouldn't hold those commentators comments so high up that he couldn't play as he'd like to.

Clay Death
05-30-2008, 05:08 AM
PMac's never said he should play like that...

oh james, there's a big difference between playing passive and not going for shots and playing SMART, aka not going for return winners ALL The time :o

if one watches him closely, he is actually quite a cry baby when things dont go his way.

here is what he said when he lost to Kei Nishikori in Florida a few months back:

"he was playing with house money and he didnt have anything to lose"----James "the flake" Blake.

he was referring to some match points that Kei had against him in his semifinal match which he escaped.

prima donna
05-30-2008, 05:18 AM
Ivy League institutes don't offer athletic scholarships, if you'd like to effectively insert racial undertones into your rhetoric, then I would suggest playing the affirmative action card rather than pretending to be annoyed by Blake's style of play and thus drawing the conclusion that he's somehow lacking in terms of his intellectual capacity.

There's a saying about African-American doctors under the age of 45 in New York -- stay away -- allow me to elaborate before I'm accused of subscribing to a racist ideology: there was a large influx of African-Americans whom were accepted to elite institutes, most of these institutes would send recruiters to isolated parts of the United States where underprivileged minorities could be found and they'd do everything within their power to accommodate a select few, obviously the same standards weren't applied that normally would be the standard.

Clarence Thomas (think Supreme Court or Anita Hill) found it incredibly difficult to find work despite graduating Cum Laude from an Ivy League school for the very reason that law firms were reluctant to trust the selection process of schools like Princeton, Yale and Harvard for the reasons described above; although, it must be noted that while the student body as a whole may be above the norm, a little less than 30% of Ivy League students were accepted based not on merit, but due to legacy status -- which basically means an immediate family member belongs to the Alumni, therefore your chances automatically are enhanced of gaining acceptance for the simple fact that institutes like these reward tradition and most importantly, those who donate funds.

Anyway, this is completely off topic, but it's rather irritating that somehow the intelligence that one demonstrates -- or doesn't demonstrate on a tennis court, is somehow linked to their academic capabilities, despite the two not being in the slightest mutually exclusive.

I think a lot of it has to do with his ethnicity, because based on his relatively calm demeanor and his adaptation to Anglo-Saxon culture, there's just no reason to exclude the guy and constantly undermine him, especially when there are plenty of players on tour that aren't exactly gifted in terms of their cognitive function while on court, yet it's constantly Blake that's singled out and then comes mention of his Harvard background -- it never fails. Too predictable.

(I'm not depicting the entire board as xenophobic, there are obvious exceptions to the rule, but why is it that the pattern follows that Donald Young's critics coincidentally happen to also be James Blake critics ?)

prima donna
05-30-2008, 05:45 AM
if one watches him closely, he is actually quite a cry baby when things dont go his way.

here is what he said when he lost to Kei Nishikori in Florida a few months back:

"he was playing with house money and he didnt have anything to lose"----James "the flake" Blake.

he was referring to some match points that Kei had against him in his semifinal match which he escaped.

Creativity at its finest.

almouchie
05-30-2008, 06:21 AM
they should just give up
the amercians cant play on clay
they need an agassi to appear in order to start takign the clay coutrs seriously
thats whats so interesting and exciting about tennis
it a whole different ball game on every surface
blale though is more polite and congradulatory in press conferences

Knightmace
05-30-2008, 06:24 AM
:roll:

MusicMyst
05-30-2008, 10:56 AM
How do you know? I would guess cahill's opinion is respected even more in the tennis community than pmacs. Cahill was openly irritated about the way blake played one of his matches and blake's post match comments about the match.

Anycase blake has said before that he has experimented quite a bit with his game and believes his hit or miss style maximizes his chances of winning a match.

Parker

It's logical to conclude that the "commentator" that Blake was talking about was the only one who actually coaches him: PMac. PMac and Blake have a personal and professional relationship that Blake doesn't have with the other commentators, including Cahill. I have to interpret Blake's comment as a snide dig at PMac's coaching during one of Blake's Davis Cup matches. That's more logical than thinking he was upset at something he heard Cahill say about his game while sitting on his couch watching The Tennis Channel (which I doubt he does much of, anyway).

Winston's Human
05-30-2008, 11:14 AM
Blake's problem is that he thinks that playing tennis on red clay requires one to play passively.

Evidence of this can be seen in his performance in the finals in Houston.

hra87
06-01-2008, 04:51 AM
(I'm not depicting the entire board as xenophobic, there are obvious exceptions to the rule, but why is it that the pattern follows that Donald Young's critics coincidentally happen to also be James Blake critics ?)

:confused:

dmit424
06-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Blake is a brain dead tennis player. He doesn't understand the intricacies of a clay court game. To him, it's hit hard or hit softly and passively. Point construction, variety, anticipation, and tenaciousness are all foreign commodities to him. Ugh. He's way worse than Roddick, because at least Andy doesn't pout and makes an honest effort to improve his tactics and make up for his lack of natural feel for the game. Blake doesn't even try.

prima donna
06-01-2008, 05:05 AM
:confused:
I should've chosen racist rather than xenophobe, but maybe I tend to see things on a more global and inclusive scale. Not everyone on this board is American, which makes it understandable (according to their twisted logic) that Blake would be less than appealing, because, he is after all a foreigner or a stranger in their eyes.

The definition of xenophobia is:
: one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin

So, what is it that you're confused by ? I mean, I posted an entire book and then you give me a smiley face and expect me to expand on a topic that's been dead for days.

dmit424
06-01-2008, 05:14 AM
I should've chosen racist rather than xenophobe, but maybe I tend to see things on a more global and inclusive scale. Not everyone on this board is American, which makes it understandable (according to their twisted logic) that Blake would be less than appealing, because, he is after all a foreigner or a stranger in their eyes.

The definition of xenophobia is:
: one unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin

So, what is it that you're confused by ? I mean, I posted an entire book and then you give me a smiley face and expect me to expand on a topic that's been dead for days.

Remember, everyone (or most) in the Western Hemishphere consider themselves Americans, and you are being insensitive :p

But about your post. I dunno, I personally hate Blake, like Young, like Monfils... I think it just has to do with personality, or with how people get frustrated when media overhypes a player (which is maybe people are hating on Young? I actually haven't read negative stuff about him because people don't discuss him much since he's low in the standings, but I really like his game).

prima donna
06-01-2008, 05:26 AM
Remember, everyone (or most) in the Western Hemishphere consider themselves Americans, and you are being insensitive :p

But about your post. I dunno, I personally hate Blake, like Young, like Monfils... I think it just has to do with personality, or with how people get frustrated when media overhypes a player (which is maybe people are hating on Young? I actually haven't read negative stuff about him because people don't discuss him much since he's low in the standings, but I really like his game).

Those could be contributing factors, but anyone that's willing to pretend that race is a non-factor is ingenuous to say the least.

I don't really think this forum is capable of such a discussion, there's a lack of cultural growth on the part of several people here and one can never understand another culture without grasping one's own.

I just fail to comprehend why James Blake being accepted into Harvard always seems to become part of any discourse relating or concerning his erratic play. It's always Monfils is brainless, Blake is brainless, Young should find another career, come on there are plenty of overhyped kids on tour. Why focus exclusively on Donald Young ?

dmit424
06-01-2008, 05:54 AM
Those could be contributing factors, but anyone that's willing to pretend that race is a non-factor is ingenuous to say the least.

I don't really think this forum is capable of such a discussion, there's a lack of cultural growth on the part of several people here and one can never understand another culture without grasping one's own.

I just fail to comprehend why James Blake being accepted into Harvard always seems to become part of any discourse relating or concerning his erratic play. It's always Monfils is brainless, Blake is brainless, Young should find another career, come on there are plenty of overhyped kids on tour. Why focus exclusively on Donald Young ?

Okay, well maybe that goes for other people. I have no problem with Young and would actually orgasm if Monfils won Roland Garros next week, but I really do think Blake is brainless and hate him for acting so classy yet not having enough class to say anything about that section that always cheers for him like maniacs at the USO. But really, it all stems from my dislike of his one-dimensional game.

As for other people, I am sure some of it has to do with race, whether they realize it or not. But you might be overestimating race as a factor. I'm just saying that because from my point of view, it's so easy to dislike James Blake for so many things outside of race (which is not a reason to dislike him).

prima donna
06-01-2008, 06:07 AM
Okay, well maybe that goes for other people. I have no problem with Young and would actually orgasm if Monfils won Roland Garros next week, but I really do think Blake is brainless and hate him for acting so classy yet not having enough class to say anything about that section that always cheers for him like maniacs at the USO. But really, it all stems from my dislike of his one-dimensional game.

As for other people, I am sure some of it has to do with race, whether they realize it or not. But you might be overestimating race as a factor. I'm just saying that because from my point of view, it's so easy to dislike James Blake for so many things outside of race (which is not a reason to dislike him).
Point taken, but logical thinking is extremely scarce on this board, so I remain convinced that lots of these people are just your typical racists, it's really quite simple to draw that conclusion based on analyzation of their line of reasoning.

Narrow-minded thinking is quite plentiful on this board, let's face it: this forum is congested with comedians, with the exception of a few thoughtful people that are able and willing to read between the lines.

There are so many gamblers, typical fans and prepubescent adolescents on this board that it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt. I just don't think it has to do with a lack of aesthetics or discipline, but in most cases racism of the most primitive kind...

As for other people, I am sure some of it has to do with race, whether they realize it or not .

I don't know if others will understand this, but I totally do.

L James
06-01-2008, 06:42 AM
We all already knew Blake was a mug and mental midget, these comments only serve to confirm that.
On top of this, he's a fake nice guy, always acting over-the-top nice whenever possible. But we've heard the numerous stories of his 'true colours' and how big of a baby he is.

I've got my doubts that this fraud even attended Harvard.

rhinooooo
06-01-2008, 08:26 AM

There's a funny irony that a guy who went to Harvard plays such a brainless game. For the most part, it's just harmless fun.

Black Adam
06-01-2008, 08:54 AM
I am with Prima Donna here. Most of you rush the Harvard Fraud card but you have to look deeper and realise that there is a racist foundation to that kind of Hatred. Thing with this Political Correctnes culture people have to speak with undertones which hides their true colours

This idiot is trying to play the Affirmitive Action card whilst he is clueless on the Harvard admition system. Just because Blake doesn't think well on a tennis court it doesn't make him a stupid guy, he has his strong areas. I don't mind you being a biggoted kid but at least have the guts to come clean about it.

Don't tell it doesn't strike you as too much of a coincidence when the Blake haters also happen to Hate Monfils and Donald Young? Let call it what it really is.