Question: Golden Grand Slam [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Question: Golden Grand Slam

Finn44
07-07-2004, 05:15 AM
I was just wondering if anyone here knows which players have ever won the Golden Grand Slam (men and women)? Thanks.

WyveN
07-07-2004, 05:16 AM
Graf 1988. No one else.

swellde
07-07-2004, 08:10 AM
I believe Graf and Agassi are the only one's ever to do it, with Graf's being the four grandslams and gold medal in the same year, Agassi throughout his career.

Lalitha
07-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Agassi's feat cannot be considered as 'Golden slam' since it was not all in the same year.

CarnivalCarnage
07-07-2004, 09:47 AM
Graf did it, and it will probably never happen again (because the Olympics will be pulled? ;)). Though if it were to, you'd have to think it would occur on the women's side.

Neely
07-07-2004, 09:52 AM
yes, I also think that it will never happen again.
I was just talking about it yesterday in the German forum chit chat.

What Steffi Graf did is most probably an achievement for eternity. :clap2:

CarnivalCarnage
07-07-2004, 09:56 AM
yes, I also think that it will never happen again.
I was just talking about it yesterday in the German forum chit chat.

What Steffi Graf did is most probably an achievement for eternity. :clap2:

So Lendl thought.

Graf lost three matches that year. To Pam Shriver (!) and the season-ending Championships, and two matches to Sabatini earlier in the year. Too bad Gabriela couldn't come up with the goods when it was really important as they also played in the French Open SF and the US Open final. Though she was the only one to give Graf a match at either event.

Vincent
07-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Martina wins all four Doubles Grand Slams in one year. :)

CarnivalCarnage
07-07-2004, 10:56 AM
Martina wins all four Doubles Grand Slams in one year. :)

And that's Golden why?

Vincent
07-07-2004, 11:19 AM
And that's Golden why?
Winning all foud GrandSlam titles in the same year ( Aus Open, French Open, Wimbledon, Us Open) = Golden Grand Slam ;)

CarnivalCarnage
07-07-2004, 11:31 AM
Winning all foud GrandSlam titles in the same year ( Aus Open, French Open, Wimbledon, Us Open) = Golden Grand Slam ;)

I'm afraid not. The Golden Grand Slam includes an Olympic title. Otherwise it's merely a Grand Slam. ;)

Vincent
07-07-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm afraid not. The Golden Grand Slam includes an Olympic title. Otherwise it's merely a Grand Slam. ;)
well...I am afriad that a Golden Grand Slam doesn't have to include the Olympic title. I am 70 % sure, I may be wrong, can somebody help? :)

CarnivalCarnage
07-07-2004, 11:51 AM
well...I am afriad that a Golden Grand Slam doesn't have to include the Olympic title. I am 70 % sure, I may be wrong, can somebody help? :)

I already did. View the third post in this thread for more.

Why would they call it the Golden Grand Slam if it had nothing to do with the Olympics? And also, why wouldn't Slams by Connoly, Laver and Court be listed by folks here if that was the case?

tazban1
07-07-2004, 07:10 PM

Carnival is right. Winning all four slams in one year is the calendar slam, a.k.a. the true grand slam. Winning all four slams consecutively but not in the same calendar year is the non-calendar slam. Winning all four slams throughout your career is the career slam (which I think was just made up to make Agassi look better - I never heard of the term before Agassi's French). Winning all four slams and the Olympic gold medal in the same year is the golden slam - this was coined when Steffi won it. I'm not sure if too many people really think any higher of it than a regular slam since many people don't consider the Olympics a big event for tennis - it's more of a nationalistic thing.

I recall something about a career super slam or something like that as well. I think it was mentioned when Martina Navratilova won all four slams in doubles, mixed, and singles. But I'm not sure.

btw, most of these terms are more media terms than traditional tennis terms.

Hingie
07-07-2004, 07:27 PM

Carnival is right, a golden slam has to include the olympics. Winning all four slams in one year is merely "The Grand Slam of Tennis"

pinky
07-07-2004, 10:30 PM
The only real "grand slam" is winning all four majors in the same year...

Winning every slams over a career is a great acomplishment (ala. Agassi),
winning all four slams consecutively but over 2 years is greater (ala. Serena) but both are still not a grand slam...

Beside Graf, Hingis was as close as you can get, reaching the french final (and vs. Majoli, how the #### did she lost that one...) and winning the other 3...

As far as golden grand slam, erm i never heard about it :P

Finn44
07-07-2004, 10:51 PM
Thanks for all the info guys.

Does anyone know who has won the Grand Slam (within a single calendar year, aka not Serena).

pinky
07-07-2004, 10:51 PM
In the open era, no one i think (men's side) :P
In fact there were only 3 GS:

Don Budge, 1938
Rod Laver, 1962 and 1969

And 3 for the women:

Maureen Connolly 1953
Margaret Smith Court 1970
Steffi Graf 1988

CarnivalCarnage
07-08-2004, 03:54 AM
In the open era, no one i think (men's side) :P
In fact there were only 3 GS:

Don Budge, 1938
Rod Laver, 1962 and 1969

And 3 for the women:

Maureen Connolly 1953
Margaret Smith Court 1970
Steffi Graf 1988

Well, 1969 is Open Era.

YoursTruly
07-08-2004, 04:31 AM
Graf achieved the grand slam and to top it off, winning the Olympics so that's the Golden Slam. Everything went so perfectly! The year she won all slams was also an Olympic year! Then Andre has the career slam, which is when you win all the grand slams, but not in one year. Still a great achievement, especially if you're on the men's tour! Steffi and Andre totally rock! :)

J. Corwin
07-08-2004, 04:51 AM
Personally, I don't put a Golden Grand Slam as really anything much higher than a calendar Grand Slam. :)