RG R1: Rafa Nadal (ESP, 2) def Bellucci (Bra, Q) 7/5 6/3 6/1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R1: Rafa Nadal (ESP, 2) def Bellucci (Bra, Q) 7/5 6/3 6/1

Alvarillo
05-28-2008, 02:27 PM
;)

Bellucci, nice player for the future!

adee-gee
05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Only saw the first set, major :hatoff: to Bellucci, there were times when it looked like he was the best player in the world on clay.

Seems comfortable enough for Rafa from then on, I guess the DF to lose the set killed Bellucci. Seems one to look out for though.

osalsyst
05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Expected. But Bellucci had 40-0 at 5-6 in the first before losing the set.

Roland9
05-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Caught the last set only..

Good day at the office.

Manon
05-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Expected. But Bellucci had 40-0 at 5-6 in the first before losing the set.

And double fault. Exellent Bellucci in 1st and half 2nd. But, never in doubt.

Burrow
05-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Bellucci fell away in the last set mentally, but expected as he hasn't had any experience at the highest level. He is going to be a serious player who is going to be a contender for the title in the future, he has all the shots, he just needs to gain some experience and toughen up a bit mentally.

RogiRafaFan86
05-28-2008, 02:33 PM
I had heard of Bellucci before, and I am certain I (along with everyone else) will be hearing much more from him in the future. Very good clay court game, and although he hasn't played on a hard court since January, I would think that his game would translate well onto that surface with only a few minor adjustments. Well done to him.

Congrats Rafa! Finally got that 1st round match in.

Sunset of Age
05-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Expected result, but at least an entertaining match during the two first sets :D. A little sloppy by Raf in those first two sets (quite a few UEs, more than he should have) and Bellucci surely showed his talent. Of course, after losing the first two sets it was never in doubt that Raf would steamroll Bellucci in the third - Raf upped his game, and apparently Bellucci's tank was empty.

Great to see Toni Nadal applaud for (at least) one of Bellucci's fine shots :yeah:.

Only bad thing about this match: the crowd. Kept on moving (I could well see Raf being irritated about it), kept on yelling (okay, it was Kid's Day, but is it really SO HARD to explain to your kids that yelling during a match is not done?) and to topp it all, a moron from the crowd calling out a perfectly fine shot by Bellucci, ending up in him losing the point. :(

Congrats, Raf, with this victory - one down, six to go - :hatoff: and kudos to Bellucci :hug:. I'm sure we'll be seeing more of him on clay. :D

shotgun
05-28-2008, 02:34 PM
Good effort by Bellucci, could have done without the choke in the first set, but still.

He's a terrible match-up for Nadal (tall guy, lefty, hits hard off both wings), so it won't be a surprise if he ever beats him outside clay. He'll need to improve his serve though.

juninhOH
05-28-2008, 02:36 PM
hm he played really well in the first two sets in my opinion. I thought he would fade away right at the 2nd but he held well. On the third it was the expected let down, but by the last games he was doing good.

maconick
05-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Bellucci is a good player, nadal should have an easier 2nd round

wilmar
05-28-2008, 02:46 PM
finally! Nadal's first match in the pocket.
but it was so windy out there...but as always on clay...the claydiator wears the opponent down...

RedFury
05-28-2008, 03:00 PM
Interesting. Guga retires and along comes a new Brazilian firebrand. Kid can play up a storm, hope he keeps at it and works hard. There were moments/shots in the march in which he reminded me of a lefty Nole the first time I saw him.

Well done to Rafa of course. Like I said, that kid is no picnic. Far from actually.

Rafa = Fed Killa
05-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Good enough Nadal. Keep it going.

The Pro
05-28-2008, 03:11 PM
Expected win
This Belluci is good
6-2 6-3 6-1 if I play a shit match

etc etc etc :)

finishingmove
05-28-2008, 03:12 PM
he coped with it very good mentally. played some high risk shots , risky 2nd serves ,was trying to force his game upon nadal but was a bit unlucky to lose the first set.

2nd set was also very close.

good performance all in all by Bellucci , he's definitely one to look out for

Clara Bow
05-28-2008, 03:21 PM
I am glad that Rafa did not have the easiest out in the first round. He upped his game in the second and third.

Like others, I hope to see Bellucci do some good things in the future.

Burrow
05-28-2008, 03:23 PM
Expected win
This Belluci is good
6-2 6-3 6-1 if I play a shit match

etc etc etc :)

:scratch:

The Pro
05-28-2008, 03:28 PM
How did the French receive him? Was it with 'returning champion' enthusiasm or more muted?

I'm sure they were just glad that play was underway.

Kitty de Sade
05-28-2008, 03:54 PM
Finally. Nicely done. :hatoff:

scarecrows
05-28-2008, 03:59 PM
Bellucci needs to improve his volleys, pronto

Aurora
05-28-2008, 04:23 PM
How did the French receive him? Was it with 'returning champion' enthusiasm or more muted?

I'm sure they were just glad that play was underway.
As always, enough (Spanish) fans and kids to make alot of noise - but not comparable to the unanimously enthousiasm Fed always get (the French are desperate for him to get the title). So yeah, a bit muted. Or is it too much for me to ask Justine-esque joy?

l_mac
05-28-2008, 04:28 PM
I had my doubts about the green shirt, but it looks great.

I really wish the shorts were white :sad: but he looked fab.

Clay Death
05-28-2008, 04:30 PM
I had my doubts about the green shirt, but it looks great.

I really wish the shorts were white :sad: but he looked fab.

any idea what color shirt he wore for his first slam here? i am thinking it was green. he may be returning to green.

Aurora
05-28-2008, 04:32 PM
any idea what color shirt he wore for his first slam here? i am thinking it was green. he may be returning to green. yup

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/6263/didyouseemebeatinghim7hh.th.jpg (http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=didyouseemebeatinghim7hh.jpg)

l_mac
05-28-2008, 04:34 PM
He wore a green shirt in 05. And blue the last 2 years.

I like the shirt. I have issues with the shorts :(

Aurora
05-28-2008, 04:39 PM
He wore a green shirt in 05. And blue the last 2 years.

I like the shirt. I have issues with the shorts :( lemmeguess: white brings out his assets? :aplot:

finishingmove
05-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Bellucci needs to improve his volleys, pronto

and passing shots , respectively

Clay Death
05-28-2008, 04:57 PM
yup

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/6263/didyouseemebeatinghim7hh.th.jpg (http://img144.imageshack.us/my.php?image=didyouseemebeatinghim7hh.jpg)

thanks. he wants the luck of the irish then.

DhammaTiger
05-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Rafa gave me a dozen heart attacks in the first set before winning it, albeit on bellucci's double fault. Vamos Rafa!

RagingLamb
05-28-2008, 06:42 PM
slow start from Nadal.

hopefully we'll see more of Bellucci in the future.

RedFury
05-28-2008, 07:35 PM
...I have issues with the shorts :(

Sounds like you have other issues. :)

FrenchLouise
05-28-2008, 07:51 PM
As always, enough (Spanish) fans and kids to make alot of noise - but not comparable to the unanimously enthousiasm Fed always get (the French are desperate for him to get the title). So yeah, a bit muted. Or is it too much for me to ask Justine-esque joy?
The French love the French - when they win - ... and Guga. :sad:

Erica86
05-28-2008, 08:39 PM
The French love the French - when they win - ... and Guga. :sad:

In that case French spectators don't have many reasons to love anybody, because I do not recall many French tennis players winning out there. Besides Guga is retired. It is a shame French crowds do not like Nadal, because they will have to put up with him for a few more years.

l_mac
05-28-2008, 08:40 PM
Sounds like you have other issues. :)

Plenty :cool:

elessar
05-28-2008, 08:46 PM
In that case French spectators don't have many reasons to love anybody, because I do not recall many French tennis players winning out there. Besides Guga is retired. It is a shame French crowds do not like Nadal, because they will have to put up with him for a few more years.
I know :sad: tough for us.
Good thing there's Roger to cheer for even if he loses in the final of course :sad: sad times for RG

l_mac
05-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Pathetic string of decisions from the tournament organisors have pretty much destroyed Rafa's chances of a 4-peat.

Sickening.

elessar
05-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Pathetic string of decisions from the tournament organisors have pretty much destroyed Rafa's chances of a 4-peat.

Sickening.

Yeah :banana:

FrenchLouise
05-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Well, yeah, I know Guga is retired. And I'm French. Sometimes I get really annoyed at the RG crowd, and sometimes they can be really supportive and fair. I think the younger ones do like Nadal, but overall it's true they're not overenthuasistic about him. I don't think they don't like him though. I know I was one of the people screaming on the court at the finals three years ago.

l_mac
05-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Yeah :banana:

Rafa has already started moaning :cool: I started a thread about it. I predict he will be playing his 3rd round match (if he makes it through Devilder :scared: :unsure:) on Court 3. Next Tuesday.

FrenchLouise
05-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Sickening.

What do you mean?

elessar
05-28-2008, 08:57 PM
Rafa has already started moaning :cool: I started a thread about it. I predict he will be playing his 3rd round match (if he makes it through Devilder :scared: :unsure:) on Court 3. Next Tuesday.
:drool:

l_mac
05-28-2008, 08:58 PM
:drool:

You know that's not the same as mooning, right fangirl?

elessar
05-28-2008, 09:01 PM
You know that's not the same as mooning, right fangirl?
What does mooning mean ?

:angel::wavey:

l_mac
05-28-2008, 09:08 PM
What does mooning mean ?

http://www.fanbolt.com/forums/images/smilies/moon.gif

Hope that helps :hug:

elessar
05-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I can't see the pic.

:angel: :wavey:

sawan66278
05-28-2008, 09:16 PM
With the windy conditions and the fearless talent of the opponent, a solid win.

Bellucci, talent-wise, looks like a sure-fire top 15 player...from there, who knows? Today, he would have taken out a few of the top ten.

Was VERY impressed...particularly with his thinking out there. Used the drop shot well at times...and even had Rafa COMPLETELY wrong-footed on one forehand...and that forehand was NOT hit with a great amount of pace either.

Vamos, Rafa!

l_mac
05-28-2008, 09:19 PM
I can't see the pic.

:angel: :wavey:

http://www.lighterside.com/images/en_US/local/products/detail/p40617.jpg

:D

elessar
05-28-2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.lighterside.com/images/en_US/local/products/detail/p40617.jpg

:D
I don't believe Rafa ever did this. Why are you spreading lies about him ?

RedFury
05-28-2008, 10:56 PM
Plenty :cool:

Glad to hear I'm not alone. At least openly. :cool:

---

Sort of off thread....glad you started the "Rafa's RG Scheduling Moaning Thread." Seems to me that that there are some powerful interest vested in Nadal not winning this year's RG.

Yeah, yeah, I have my tinfoil hat on. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though.

elessar
05-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Glad to hear I'm not alone. At least openly. :cool:

---

Sort of off thread....glad you started the "Rafa's RG Scheduling Moaning Thread." Seems to me that that there are some powerful interest vested in Nadal not winning this year's RG.

Yeah, yeah, I have my tinfoil hat on. Doesn't mean I'm wrong though.
You should post your theories in the Rafa forum :hug:

RedFury
05-28-2008, 11:14 PM
You should post your theories in the Rafa forum :hug:

Naw. I already spend too much time here as it is and it isn't making me any money -- quite the contrary actually. Besides, all this damn tinfoil makes it all that much harder to type.

Best,

~Red

elessar
05-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Naw. I already spend too much time here as it is and it isn't making me any money -- quite the contrary actually. Besides, all this damn tinfoil makes it all that much harder to type.

Best,

~Red

A shame :sad: I'm sure they'd love to hear a new theory about the evil french trying to prevent Rafa from winning another FO

RedFury
05-28-2008, 11:18 PM
A shame :sad: I'm sure they'd love to hear a new theory about the evil french trying to prevent Rafa from winning another FO

Not "new." Developing. You are free to pass it on. And blame me of course.

RedFury
05-28-2008, 11:27 PM
PS-I have no problem with French people -- in fact j'aime le femmes. But please, pretty please, as I've asked you before, could you get rid of that heinous avatar?

Merci beaucoup to the nth degree. I'd be seriosly indebted to you if you would.

elessar
05-28-2008, 11:30 PM
PS-I have no problem with French people -- in fact j'aime le femmes. But please, pretty please, as I've asked you before, could you get rid of that heinous avatar?

As soon as Roger wins RG he'll be in my avatar instead, have no worry :cool:

GlennMirnyi
05-28-2008, 11:44 PM

Tu aimes les hommes.

You fool no one.

Manon
05-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Seems to me that that there are some powerful interest vested in Nadal not winning this year's RG.

Dark side of the Moon or good old pa-pa-paranoia?

GugaF1
05-29-2008, 01:24 AM
I heard some comparing games style between Bellucci and Nadal. I don't see that they have much in common, apart from being lefties. Bellucci hits the ball much flatter and trough the court looking to overpower the oponnent, while Nadal relies on his superb movement and counter punching. Bellucci reminds me more of Verdasco's style.

I am really impressed with this match. I expected a nice year from Bellucci but, never thought he would be playing Nadal at RG in a high level match, considering he started the year almost 200th in the rankings. He still has some holes on his game, needs to find some better consistency and improve strategy against top players. A great player to follow in the time to come..

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-29-2008, 02:26 AM
go rafaaaaaaaaaaa i love uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
u r the best

roberthenman
05-29-2008, 04:17 AM
belluci is a vey good player:devil:
need more confident and could top ten easy

Turquoise
05-29-2008, 05:41 AM
This kid Bellucci did not deserve to be drawn against the king of clay in the very first round - really tough luck for him. He's got so much promise, and I hope he'll have a great future. Well done to him for giving us a competitive match :hatoff:

Nadal, as expected, remained focused and secured the inevitable victory.

CooCooCachoo
05-29-2008, 08:04 AM
Was wanting to see Bellucci for a while now, due to his results in the Challenger circuit, and I must say that this guy should be Top 40 within no time. I don't like his game too much, but it's very effective and I love his attitude. Very determined.

stebs
05-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Good match. Far better than was to be expected given the conditions (swirling wind) and the fact that Belluci is very inexperienced at this kind of level. The result was never up for debate but with some great shots and strong tactics Bellucci made it close enough to be entertaining until the third set.