Eastern Conference Finals - Game 5 (27/5) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Eastern Conference Finals - Game 5 (27/5)

Gamblore
05-28-2008, 11:36 AM
Pistons +6.5 v Boston (bourght the hook)

gl

bad gambler
05-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Bad move buying hook

Gamblore
05-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Bad move buying hook

Hmm, care to enlighten me with your many years of experience:wavey:

DeMMa
05-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Boston by 10 or more..

Boston/Boston

Over 173.5

Boston -6.5

4 singles..

gl

bad gambler
05-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Hmm, care to enlighten me with your many years of experience:wavey:

I could understand the logic of buying points in NFL because unlike the NBA the scoring invariably doesn't occur in a rush and the way the scoring system works. But basically buying points is for suckers in the NBA because it is designed to benefit the books not the punter.

The odds of the points that you a buying, which in theory should represent the difference between winning and losing your bet is very very small. Sure you may save yourself a loss every now and again but in the long run you are short selling yourself.

If you place $100 on the Pistons +6.5 at $1.80 instead of Pistons +6 at $1.90 and the Pistons get inside 6 points you already have lost yourself $10 even though you earned the $90 because +6 was the line Vegas posted. So not only are the books taking the standard 10% vigorish from you but an additional 10% for the 1/2 point you bought. Whilst you might say you still won so it doesn't matter, what you are not accounting for is the money that you are effectively losing when buying that 1/2 point.

Bottom line it's poor money management and frankly if you are buying the 1/2 point to begin with you clearly aren't that confident with the line hence shouldn't be betting on the event to begin with.

Don't do it again, BOL ;)

bad gambler
05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Pistons to cover +6 v Celtics

gl

Gamblore
05-28-2008, 11:41 PM
I could understand the logic of buying points in NFL because unlike the NBA the scoring invariably doesn't occur in a rush and the way the scoring system works. But basically buying points is for suckers in the NBA because it is designed to benefit the books not the punter.

The odds of the points that you a buying, which in theory should represent the difference between winning and losing your bet is very very small. Sure you may save yourself a loss every now and again but in the long run you are short selling yourself.

If you place $100 on the Pistons +6.5 at $1.80 instead of Pistons +6 at $1.90 and the Pistons get inside 6 points you already have lost yourself $10 even though you earned the $90 because +6 was the line Vegas posted. So not only are the books taking the standard 10% vigorish from you but an additional 10% for the 1/2 point you bought. Whilst you might say you still won so it doesn't matter, what you are not accounting for is the money that you are effectively losing when buying that 1/2 point.

Bottom line it's poor money management and frankly if you are buying the 1/2 point to begin with you clearly aren't that confident with the line hence shouldn't be betting on the event to begin with.

Don't do it again, BOL ;)

Thanks, good feedback. I actually really had no reason to take the extra half, i just took it, which is probably worse. But i understand.

GL!:)

bad gambler
05-29-2008, 04:51 AM
Pistons to cover +6 v Celtics

gl

win

Congrats Jig but I won $10 more, might buy a big Bondi meal with it tonight with chili of course ;)

TMJordan
05-29-2008, 04:53 AM
Pistons in 7, no doubt.

Gamblore
05-29-2008, 06:49 AM
win

Congrats Jig but I won $10 more, might by a big Bondi meal with it tonight with chili of course ;)

:p