Roger Bashing [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger Bashing

Seraphim
07-06-2004, 11:44 PM
http://www.inyoregister.com/articles/2004/07/06/sports/9efdspo2.txt

By Bernie Lincicome
Scripps Howard News Service Tuesday, July 6, 2004 9:32 AM PDT

WIMBLEDON, England — Talk about being under fire.

Here's a tennis story and a human story and a hero story and an Andy Roddick story. All in one. Go figure.

That Roddick is the last American male standing at Wimbledon is notable and a bit depressing for the several who might still care about American male tennis. This is not a number large enough to need a crossing guard.

Roddick is, and none too soon, the next savior of the game. So says John McEnroe, for one, and if McEnroe says it, that means his mouth was open. All sorts of stuff falls out of Johnny Mac's mouth these days, generally about tennis being in the dumper since he left.

"Today's players are like Darth Vader compared to me," McEnroe said. "Where is the passion and the feeling?"

A little risk is what tennis needs, a little more edge. You know, like skateboarding, or like auto racing, like NASCAR.

"The drivers are risking their lives and they're out there, talking to fans an hour before the race," McEnroe said. "Tennis, knock on wood, is relatively safe."

Yes. So few wrecks are in tennis, so few lives are in constant danger.

And just what the Brat ordered. Here comes Roddick. Risking lives? How about hauling his mattress out onto a balcony in a burning Rome hotel encouraging Dutch tennis player Sjeng Schalken and his wife, Ricky, to jump from the balcony above. From the seventh floor to the sixth floor. Roddick promised to catch them. And he did.

Roddick also helped maybe a dozen others to safety in the blaze, which claimed the lives of three people.

Fast-forward seven weeks. There will be Roddick again, this time catching Schalken's serve in the quarterfinals of Wimbledon.

"I think there is a special bond between us," Roddick said. "There is always something there when you share an experience that's pretty traumatic. I don't know what that bond is, but there's something a little different there. Kind of neat."

Perspective is dangerous in a tennis player, and it got to Roddick, who quickly lost in the Italian Open.

"It rattled me for a week," he said. "Rome was probably the first time in my life when I was out on a court and I couldn't care less if I won or lost."

As for Schalken, how to repay someone for saving your life? Beg for mercy on the tennis court.

"He's just killed me the last three times," Schalken said. "I hope he's thinking about (Rome) and will be taking it easy on me."

Tennis cannot rely on hotel fires before every tournament to find new heroes, of course. (Later, at the French Open, Roddick awoke to a clanging hotel bell. He called to find out it was a false warning. "I threw my shoe at the fire alarm" said Roddick, who then went back to sleep.)

Tennis needs, according to McEnroe, a real rivalry, as McEnroe had with Bjorn Borg and Jimmy Connors. This skips the generation that was Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras, which would do, as well.

"Two Americans, with personality," McEnroe said.

What tennis is stuck with is a bunch of Argentinians and Spanish back-courters and Roger Federer, as neutral as he is Swiss. By consensus, Federer is the best player in the world, certainly the best player here, seeded first and the defending champion.

Here is an endorsement from Lindsay Davenport, like Roddick, an American.

"As a tennis fan," Davenport said, "you have to think that Roger Federer is the most amazing thing to watch. I mean, the way he plays, the way he moves, the way he acts. If you were to mold a perfect tennis player, it would be him. I think he's incredible. I could sit down and watch Federer all day long."

This is all sadly true, that tennis as tennis has become Federer-ized, as it was for an alarming time, Lendl-ized. Roddick has the promise to break it out into the wider world.

"He's helped," McEnroe said, "getting out, being on Saturday Night Live and all."

Roddick was also on the Weakest Link, still somehow a fixture here on the BBC. His participation was televised one of the days that rain washed out play.

Roddick blew a question on a barnyard animal that sounds like a letter of the alphabet. Roddick answered "baa;" the answer was "ewe." In tennis, this would have been called a let.

"You'd be shocked at the stuff I don't know," Roddick said.

Here's a thought, a sure way to save tennis: How about Roddick dressed like Darth Vader rescuing Federer from a burning building, on Saturday Night Live, while trying to answer a question about sheep?

I'd get up early to watch that.

Chloe le Bopper
07-06-2004, 11:56 PM
Um?

papasmurf11
07-06-2004, 11:58 PM
yeah that confused me a bit!

Chloe le Bopper
07-07-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm searching for a point... did I miss it?

papasmurf11
07-07-2004, 12:02 AM
Yeah how is that Roger bashing?

andyroxmysox12191
07-07-2004, 12:02 AM
:confused: i kinda got that but at the same time i'm utterly confused about it.

Chloe le Bopper
07-07-2004, 12:04 AM
No, that isn't what I meant. I'm trying to find the point of the article and am utterly baffled.

papasmurf11
07-07-2004, 12:07 AM
yeah well Im trying to figure out both.

Chloe le Bopper
07-07-2004, 12:17 AM
Are there any Andy Roddick fans left in the media who haven't yet written a "Andy is soooo interesting, too bad boring Roger is better than him" article?

Clara Bow
07-07-2004, 12:24 AM
This is the same fellow though who wrote a very mean spirited article about Federer a couple of days ago that can be accessed here- http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/sports_columnists/article/0,1299,DRMN_83_3013133,00.html

And yes- I can sense there is still mean spiritedness in his comments regarding Federer in this article...but perhaps I am sensitive because of his nasty (imo) article a couple of days before. Hey- I like Roddick and think that he's great for the sport- I also like Federer and think that he has a good personality as well.

Some of this guys phrases make absolutely no sense.... such as
Tennis needs, according to McEnroe, a real rivalry, as McEnroe had with Bjorn Borg and Jimmy Connors. This skips the generation that was Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras, which would do, as well.

"Two Americans, with personality," McEnroe said.

What tennis is stuck with is a bunch of Argentinians and Spanish back-courters and Roger Federer, as neutral as he is Swiss. By consensus, Federer is the best player in the world, certainly the best player here, seeded first and the defending champion.

"As a tennis fan," Davenport said, "you have to think that Roger Federer is the most amazing thing to watch. I mean, the way he plays, the way he moves, the way he acts. If you were to mold a perfect tennis player, it would be him. I think he's incredible. I could sit down and watch Federer all day long."

This is all sadly true, that tennis as tennis has become Federer-ized, as it was for an alarming time, Lendl-ized. Roddick has the promise to break it out into the wider world.

Huh? Is he saying that there can be no real rivalry with Federer the Argentinians and the Spaniards around? Is he saying that the only good rivalry would be one with two Americans? If so- why did he include Borg? And who is McEnroe referring to in his quote - Agassi and Sampras? I don't know! (And I certainly do not remember McEnroe saying that the only good type of rivalry that we can have now is two Americans with personality).

I am very confused. :confused:

This guy's writing is worse than my attempts to write school papers while drunk during my freshman year of college.

Roddickrokz91
07-07-2004, 12:32 AM
David Nalbandian is not the best thin, he's had so many chances to win a grand slam. :banghead:

Skyward
07-07-2004, 12:34 AM
"Huh? Is he saying that there can be no real rivalry with Federer the Argentinians and the Spaniards around? Is he saying that the only good rivalry would be one with two Americans?"

Yes, in the little perfect world of this writer all players on tour would be
screaming americans. May be one russian with pants down would be allowed to join a party.

Personally, I could care less what players do between the points. Whatever works for them is fine with me, except for cheating. But when, oh, when people learn to appreciate classy and mature players. They do have personality, it's just different.

tangerine_dream
07-07-2004, 01:15 AM
OK, Seraphim, are you the new TF around here? Because there was nothing in that article that even remotely bashed Roger. :scratch:

WF4EVER
07-07-2004, 01:27 AM
Pete Sampras has personality?

Uncle seems to have a real problem, tho. he didn't bash Federer (at least not in this article) but he certainly seems bitter that he is the best out there. I wonder who's fault that it.

I'm surprised when he used the terms Federer-ized and Lendl-ize he forgot Sampras-ize. No one has dominated like Pete (14 Slams?).

He doesn't like Federer, that's for sure, and the player he likes can't make the grade. Suck it up.

lalaland
07-07-2004, 01:34 AM
[url]
What tennis is stuck with is a bunch of Argentinians and Spanish back-courters and Roger Federer, as neutral as he is Swiss.

It's not nearly a bashing, but he didn't sound too impressed that tennis is "stuck" with a bunch of Argi, Spaniards and Federer :rolleyes: go figure.

This is all sadly true, that tennis as tennis has become Federer-ized, as it was for an alarming time, Lendl-ized. Roddick has the promise to break it out into the wider world..

It is sadly true because :confused: ? that tennis played in it's most pure and perfect form is sad? I don't even like Federer that much but his tennis is amazing, and nothing like Lendl's.

Shy
07-07-2004, 01:38 AM
I think the writer likes the glamour side of tennis rather than the sport side. It tells a lots about him.

J. Corwin
07-07-2004, 03:14 AM
That's one of the most convoluted articles I've read in awhile. How did he ever become a columnist/journalist?

gillian
07-07-2004, 03:18 AM
This article is too silly to take seriously. Suffice it to say, I think Roddick-Federer has the makings of a great rivalry (lots of talent, differing styles & personalities). I don't know why this person thinks that tennis can only be interesting if Roddick, or a player like him, dominates. Why is it so hard for people in the media to appreciate good tennis from a diverse set of players? It's really not that difficult if you care about the sport itself beyond a few personalities.

WyveN
07-07-2004, 03:20 AM
These articles are almost trying to say that tennis would be better of without Federer,Coria,Nalbandian and Ferrero playing.
Sure, Roddick would be undisputed #1, Americans would be happy, but would that benefit tennis if the other players were out of the picture. I dont think so.

Billabong
07-07-2004, 03:38 AM
lol;)!

darnyelb
07-07-2004, 03:40 AM
The inclusion of Borg and his rejection of Spanish/Argentinian players hints at racism to me.

Seraphim
07-07-2004, 05:06 AM
I'm biased to roger, so his name stood out amongst the article. The title is a little confusing, but atleast four or five of you found the "bashing" part if not so much the "roger" (my fault ofcourse.)

p.s. Tangerine Dream.......YES, I am new here, but what does that have to do with the article I posted?
do I have to post 2,345 times in order for me to post something whether anyone is confused or not? If so, then I apologize and I'll make sure to post when spoken to.

Or maybe I'll just go back to my planet where everyone understands everything that is posted on a message board, and you don't have to be questioned as if you weren't invited into some elite group of posters, who all understand each other but not the "new" guy.

If you didn't get it, great. But please don't be patronizing.

thank you.

Lalitha
07-07-2004, 10:16 AM
Who ever wrote this article, I think he wrote when he was completely drunk.

CarnivalCarnage
07-07-2004, 10:23 AM
Honest to God though ... haven't these "Tennis needs a savior and FINALLY it has happened" articles been constantly written since the beginning of time? Didn't Roger bust us out of the boringness of Hewitt who busted us out of the boringness of Kuerten, who busted us out of the boringness of Agassi, who busted us out of the boringness of Sampras who busted us out of the boringness of Agassi who busted us out of the boringness of Sampras who busted us out of the boringness of Courier who busted us out of the boringness of Edberg who busted us out of the boringness of Becker who busted us out of the boringness of Lendl who busted us out of the boringness of McEnroe who ...

I think I had a stroke somewhere during that. N E way, I'd love to find my very very old copy of Sports Illustrated from the early 90s which bemoans the fact that "Courier's charisma needs jumper cables, Agassi is in and out, Sampras is boring, Edberg is boring, what happened to the good old days etc etc etc". It's just the same piece of journalism again and again.

pinky
07-07-2004, 10:31 AM
The main problem with this guy is that he is clearly xenophobic (sp?)... There are the USA and then... the rest, which is close to non existent.
Basically, he doesn't like Fed simply because he isn't american, not beause of his so called lack of flashiness outside or on the courts, that's pretty clear, looking at his comments on other non american top players as well.

And about that story with Roddick in Rome, is it ture about his matress and all? It seems each time i hear about it he made something more there :)

sigmagirl91
07-07-2004, 01:12 PM
I'm biased to roger, so his name stood out amongst the article. The title is a little confusing, but atleast four or five of you found the "bashing" part if not so much the "roger" (my fault ofcourse.)

p.s. Tangerine Dream.......YES, I am new here, but what does that have to do with the article I posted?
do I have to post 2,345 times in order for me to post something whether anyone is confused or not? If so, then I apologize and I'll make sure to post when spoken to.

Or maybe I'll just go back to my planet where everyone understands everything that is posted on a message board, and you don't have to be questioned as if you weren't invited into some elite group of posters, who all understand each other but not the "new" guy.

If you didn't get it, great. But please don't be patronizing.

thank you.

Seraphim, now you know who to ignore and who to speak to. Speak on....

tangerine_dream
07-07-2004, 03:49 PM
Seraphim, where did I say you're not allowed to post here? Can you point that out to me? Thanks. And the title of your thread is incongruous to the article you posted, hence the confusion of some of the respondents. Maybe if you had posted your own thoughts about the article as an intro, that might have done a lot to explain where you're coming from. :)

Welcome to MTF, btw.

michelleg
07-07-2004, 04:15 PM
Consider the source, an American sports writer with a history of writing xenophobic inflammatory pieces (his soccer hooligan column during World Cup in Chicago was a real doozy.)

Nikki♥
07-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Too long to read entirely. :o
Roddick dressed up as Darth Vader. Lol how much money would I pay to see that happening.

alfonsojose
07-07-2004, 08:13 PM
Brad Gilbert as Obi-Wan Kenobi :tape:
Federer would be Luke Skywalker
Agassi and Graff are Han Solo and Leia Organa
Taylor Dent would be Jabba

pinky
07-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Brad Gilbert as Obi-Wan Kenobi :tape:
Federer would be Luke Skywalker
Agassi and Graff are Han Solo and Leia Organa
Taylor Dent would be Jabba