Most misused weapon [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Most misused weapon

sheeter
05-27-2008, 12:35 AM
There are pros who do not use their weapons to their full potential, an example being Andy Murray and the way he rarely tries to control points off his backhand side, or Gasquet, who could be more aggressive with his backhand. Can anyone else think of some examples?

Clay Death
05-27-2008, 12:40 AM
There are pros who do not use their weapons to their full potential, an example being Andy Murray and the way he rarely tries to control points off his backhand side, or Gasquet, who could be more aggressive with his backhand. Can anyone else think of some examples?

you may have a point there. he has a superb 2 hander and he has the leverage (nearly 6 foot 4) to go along with it.

I think it was in Dubai when Fed ridiculed him for being too "passive" or defense oriented. this is after Fed lost to him in his very first match there. in any case, perhaps Murray needs to step a little closer to the baseline and become a little more assault minded with that 2 hander.

GlennMirnyi
05-27-2008, 12:43 AM
Volandri and his serve. He should be more aggressive definitely.

StevoTG
05-27-2008, 12:44 AM
Roddick is capable of great things off the forehand wing but in some matches seems to opt against using it all-together, in most matches he only uses it once the ball is set up perfectly for him.
You could argue that as a misused weapon I guess.

Hewitts dh backhand down the line and volleys (on grass anyway).

I wouldn't call either the most misused, but misused anyway.

leng jai
05-27-2008, 01:07 AM
Hewitt - Volleying
Federer - Volleying
Haas - Volleying/attacking backhand return
Tursunov - brain use
Berrer - Overheads
Gasquet - Balls

Henry Chinaski
05-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Verdasco's serve. Rarely hits it with full power and doesn't get enough spin to make it worth his while kicking it in three quarter pace all the time.

Clay Death
05-27-2008, 01:27 AM
Hewitt - Volleying
Federer - Volleying
Haas - Volleying/attacking backhand return
Tursunov - brain use
Berrer - Overheads
Gasquet - Balls

you have to have "balls" in the first place. Gasgay would do well to be on the wta circuit.

sheeter
05-27-2008, 03:42 AM
Nadal could be more aggressive off his backhand on hardcourt, in my opinion.

KitinovRules
05-27-2008, 07:19 AM
Volandri and his serve. He should be more aggressive definitely.

:haha::haha::haha::haha:

GuiroNl
05-27-2008, 07:24 AM
Nadal could be more aggressive off his backhand on hardcourt, in my opinion.

I agree. It can be such an explosive shot and it's a very compact one unlike his forehand so it's a lot harder to attack on hard.

FiBeR
05-27-2008, 09:05 AM
consistency by 99.9% players :p

Iván
05-27-2008, 09:10 AM
Davydenko relies on his baseline skills too much, needs to improve his serve if he ever wants to win a slam, he will need cheap points from his serve at crucial momments in big matches.

He cant simply out-rally the top players on the big points , its impossible.

groundstroke
05-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Andy Murray could be great but he never uses his forehand or backhand to be aggressive.

Timbo
05-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Nadal should be getting more free points off his serve but usually just rolls it in. Andy Murray's dropshot isn't nearly as effective as everyone seems to think, and his second serve is woeful. Monfils wastes all his weapons by worrying more about how he looks than how he plays.

ASP0315
05-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Karlovic - backhand .(whenever he uses slice bh the rallies a little longer and when he tries to use normal(non-slice) backhand the balls go to the net. even some of the bh slices got the net a way low.
he needs to improve his backhand to stay in top 20.

El Legenda
05-27-2008, 05:01 PM
nuclear bomb

BIGMARAT
05-27-2008, 05:06 PM
some people are trying to put up some players weakness here.

I think the thread starter was very clear about which weapon that they possesed are not not being used at all by the players or are not taking advantage of it.

noctilux
05-27-2008, 09:05 PM
nuclear bomb

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

GlennMirnyi
05-27-2008, 09:16 PM
I think Karlovic and Gonzalez should use more their backhands. In fact, I think they should just forfeit the forehand and hit all backhands, especially DTL.

adee-gee
05-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Roddick - Forehand
Murray - Volley
Verdasco - Serve

They're the 3 that spring to mind.

Renaud
05-27-2008, 09:18 PM
Djokovic - Gamesmanship

trixtah
05-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Davydenko relies on his baseline skills too much, needs to improve his serve if he ever wants to win a slam, he will need cheap points from his serve at crucial momments in big matches.

He cant simply out-rally the top players on the big points , its impossible.

Have you seen his serve recently? Pretty big

PiggyGotRoasted
05-27-2008, 09:29 PM
Have you seen his serve recently? Pretty big

He has worked on it for definate. He can now hit them upward of 130 mph + which last year looked impossible for him to do with consistancy.
However it still needs work.

schorsch
05-27-2008, 09:53 PM
Ancic - go to net more often

Davydenko - finish points earlier instead of rallying that much

Nev
05-27-2008, 10:05 PM
I think Florian Mayer has an awesome backhand drop shot, he should use it more often.

sheeter
05-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Federer's slice on clay. He's tries to come over shoulder high balls too often and while he does get most of them back in play, his slice is so fearsome and is more consistent on high balls.

leng jai
05-28-2008, 12:18 AM
All players seem underuse the ace. I don't know, but if I was on the ATP I would use the ace on every serve.

Clay Death
05-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Federer's slice on clay. He's tries to come over shoulder high balls too often and while he does get most of them back in play, his slice is so fearsome and is more consistent on high balls.

negative. slice in today`s game has become more of a defensive stroke. some may employ it just to mix it up a little. also a handy shot if you are stretched off the court or if you are pressed for time as in a rocket serve you may just have to chip it back.

guys like Djokovic and even Davytanko eat sliced shots for breakfast.

sheeter
05-28-2008, 12:40 AM
negative. slice in today`s game has become more of a defensive stroke. some may employ it just to mix it up a little. also a handy shot if you are stretched off the court or if you are pressed for time as in a rocket serve you may just have to chip it back.

guys like Djokovic and even Davytanko eat sliced shots for breakfast.

I actually recall Federer knifing through his backhand to great effect against Davydenko last year at RG, though i admit this wouldn't be really effective against Nole. But point taken.

GlennMirnyi
05-28-2008, 12:45 AM
I actually recall Federer knifing through his backhand to great effect against Davydenko last year at RG, though i admit this wouldn't be really effective against Nole. But point taken.

You're a moron if you agree with any point R=FK/mediter/Clown Death makes. :D

Clay Death
05-28-2008, 12:48 AM

dont get me wrong. slice is a must have shot but the speed of the game is such that it cannot be used as a weapon. as a matter of tactics, it can be used to throw the opposition off.

its other uses are primarily defense oriented.

sheeter
05-28-2008, 12:55 AM
dont get me wrong. slice is a must have shot but the speed of the game is such that it cannot be used as a weapon. as a matter of tactics, it can be used to throw the opposition off.

its other uses are primarily defense oriented.

Thats true, but the pace of the game decreases on clay, and winners are much harder to hit.

Clay Death
05-28-2008, 01:56 AM
Thats true, but the pace of the game decreases on clay, and winners are much harder to hit.

a point to be noted.

that said, winners will be hit still--even on clay-- when the opportunities present themselves. even Nadal, not noted for hitting winners, hit 31 against Djokovic on slow clay against Djokovic in Hamburg. Djokovic is not an easy man to hit winners on.