Go Russia! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Go Russia!

drf716
08-27-2002, 09:30 AM
Russia will win this! Yevgeny Kafelnikov Marat Safin Dinara Safina Mikhail Youzhny

kazblah
08-31-2002, 10:00 AM
Good Luck Russia!!!!!:D

Tryphon
09-01-2002, 09:09 AM
:confused: :angel: :D

TheBoiledEgg
09-01-2002, 10:45 AM
LMAO

go Team Russia :)

YK better find his form soon

TennisHack
09-06-2002, 12:34 PM
C'mon, Yevgeny, don't let the year be a complete waste.

Nina
09-07-2002, 12:50 PM
Go RUSSIA :bounce:

TennisHack
09-08-2002, 01:45 AM
Samoye glavnoye . . . Davis Cup.

Davaite Rossiya!

kazblah
09-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Anyone know who will be playing for Russia?

Nina
09-09-2002, 02:57 PM
as usually

Safin
Kafelnikov
Youzhny
Stoliarov

I'll be there (if nothing extraordinary happens) and write reports for you :)

TennisHack
09-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Ooh, thanks Nina! :) I won't get to see that tie :rolleyes:

kazblah
09-10-2002, 10:38 AM
Thanks Nina!

Bubble
09-12-2002, 04:55 PM
Good luck Russia!

Looking forward to your reports when next week comes, Nina ;)

Chloe le Bopper
09-15-2002, 09:27 PM
THankyou Nina - hope you have great time, and get ther result that all of us in here are hoping for ! :D

I don't get ANY of the ties on TV :rolleyes: *not true, I MIGHT get Canada-Brazil*

TennisHack
09-18-2002, 12:04 AM
Let's go, Russia!!

Jessi
09-18-2002, 02:02 AM
Davay Marat and Zhenya !!!

Go Russia! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
09-18-2002, 03:24 AM
we got France vs US here :rolleyes: on satellite
and GB vs Thailand on "normal" TV (BBC)

looks like only way i'll see Russia play is if in final
so come on boys make it happen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

warfreakbix
09-18-2002, 10:34 AM
Go :bounce: Russia :bounce: Go :bounce:

Who are playing for Argentina? Can somebody post a head to head....

Nina
09-18-2002, 03:28 PM
Just saw a clip on the news of our boys practicing.

They said that Zhenya's injury wasnt bothering him that much anymore and everything seemed fine when they showed him play (they showed him serving so I'm not 100% certain he's injury free) :)

Marat practiced with two guys that I didn't recognise, Volkov was also there. They also had an interview with him afterwards and he said that hes practicing twice a day every day, he added that both him and Zhenya are in good form and even though he hasn't had good results recently he expects to win :)
Marat shaved his head btw

TennisHack
09-18-2002, 04:08 PM
Marat shaved his head? Whoa :eek:

Good to hear that Zhenya's feeling better, even if he's just saying that ;)

Let's go, Russia!!

TheBoiledEgg
09-18-2002, 04:21 PM
omg Marat did what :eek:

Glad Zhenya's finger is better :)

now for tomorrow's draw
I hope Zhenya plays 1st and makes it 1-0 :)

thanx Nina :)

Nina
09-18-2002, 04:32 PM
well he has a tiny amount of hair (he'll have some more in a few days so it won't look that bad )

I can't wait !!! :bounce: GO ZHENYA! GO MARAT!

Jessi
09-18-2002, 09:27 PM
:eek: Marat shaved his head!! Just when his hair was starting to grow out again:(

now i'm scared to see what he looks like..

Chloe le Bopper
09-18-2002, 10:19 PM
Who cares what he looks like, as long as he backs Yevgeny up :p

Jessi
09-18-2002, 10:32 PM
I care, Becca! Don't you know that his hair is the secret to his success..:rolleyes: :p

But you're right, as long as he backs Yevgeny up thats all that matters..:bounce:

Jessi
09-18-2002, 10:36 PM
An article fromm BBC Sport:

Safin ready to step up

Safin made an early exit from the US Open

Marat Safin is looking for an improvement in his own form as he prepares to lead Russia against Argentina in the Davis Cup semi-finals.

Gaudio expects stern test
Safin and Yevgeny Kafelnikov will be favourites to beat the Argentines on the fast carpet surface in Moscow's 13,000 capacity Luzhniki Sports Palace.

But world number four Safin has suffered a dramatic slump in form in the second half of the year and knows he must rediscover his touch by Friday.
"I'm trying to improve," he said. "I have a new coach and I think I'll be good. I'll be OK."

The pressure is on the home side, who have never won the Davis Cup, and Kafelnikov has made the event the sole focus for the rest of his career.

Kafelnikov may retire if Russia win the Davis Cup

But Safin refuses to understimate Argentina, despite their preference for claycout tennis.

"I think they have a good team," he said.

"Two of them are in the top 20 and (David) Nalbandian was in the finals of Wimbeldon, so he knows how to play on fast courts and I think it's going to be really tough.

"But we have our surface and we have our spectators and I think we are the favourites.

"It's going to be difficult but I think we will win"

Mikhail Youzhny and Andrei Stoliarov complete the Russian line-up.

Beaten finalists in 1994 and '95, Russia will be playing their third consecutive home tie but their first on carpet.

France and the United States will meet in the other semi-final in Paris on the clay courts at Roland Garros.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/2267240.stm

Jessi
09-19-2002, 01:57 AM
another article from Atptennis.com:

Russia and Argentina to Duel in Moscow

Both countries are looking for their first Davis Cup trophy.

Russia and Argentina, two nations that have never lifted a Davis Cup trophy, will duel on indoor carpet at the Sports Palace "Luzhniki" in Moscow. Russia's Marat Safin and Yevgeny Kafelnikov will be joined by Mikhail Youzhny and Andrei Stoliarov, while Argentina's team will consist of Juan Ignacio Chela, Wimbledon finalist David Nalbandian, Gaston Gaudio and Lucas Arnold.

Safin and Kafelnikov have consistently represented their country in Davis Cup, playing singles and often teaming up to play doubles. Safin has compiled a 13-11 record for Russia since 1998, while No. 8 Kafelnikov has racked up an impressive 42-22 mark in 10 years of Davis Cup action.

Kafelnikov, who has made no secret of his desire to win the Davis Cup, comes into the tie full of confidence after claiming his second title of the year in Tashkent last week. Safin, currently in third position in the ATP Champions Race 2002, has an impressive 40-18 record this year but has yet to win a title despite appearances in the finals of the Australian Open and Tennis Masters Hamburg.

Kafelnikov has won 151 matches on the indoor carpet surface throughout his career (second-most all time behind Goran Ivanisevic) and 11 titles on the surface, while Safin has an impressive 40-18 career record on carpet.

Despite the absence of Argentine No. 1 Guillermo Canas due to a stress fracture in his right wrist that forced him to withdraw from the US Open, Argentine captain Alejandro Gattiker still has three other players currently in the Top 25 in the ATP Champions Race to draw upon with No. 17 Nalbandian, No. 18 Gaudio and No. 21 Chela.

Wimbledon finalist Nalbandian has never represented Argentina in Davis Cup, while Gaudio is undefeated in nine singles appearances. Chela is 2-3 in Davis Cup action.

In contrast to their opponents, the Argentine players have little experience on indoor carpet, with Nalbandian at 1-1, Gaudio at 2-5, and Chela having never played a match on the surface.

Despite these numbers, Nalbandian expressed confidence in Argentina's propsects. "We have a great desire to win," he said. "We're going to Moscow with the intention of reaching the final."

Compared to the two nations in the other semifinal, Russia and Argentina are relative newcomers on the Davis Cup scene. Russia made its two appearances in the final in the mid-1990s, losing to Sweden in 1994 and to the U.S. in 1995, both in Moscow. Argentina has appeared in the Davis Cup final once, when their 1981 team led by Guillermo Vilas and Jose Luis Clerc was defeated by the U.S. The only occasion on which Russia and Argentina have met in Davis Cup play was a 1985 relegation tie that the former Soviet Union won 3-2.

To reach the semifinals, Russia defeated Switzerland and Sweden, while Argentina overcame Australia and Croatia. The final will be played on November 29-December 1, 2002.

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/news/davis_cup_russia.asp

Nina
09-19-2002, 02:19 PM
Marat practicing (the hair has really grown from the last time they showed him on TV)

Nina
09-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Zhenya practicing

Nina
09-19-2002, 02:24 PM
Just read an article where Tarpishev said that Marat's BMW was stolen yesterday (it cost about 90 000 $) and it might affect Marat's game and state of mind.

It also says that Marat looked really unhappy during the press conference but said that both him and Zhenya are well prepared for the match and expect to win

Bubble
09-20-2002, 05:31 PM
2-0 Russia

Well done and good luck in the doubles!

:bounce:

fresh
09-20-2002, 06:22 PM
It was a great fight. I alwais had a feeling that Kafel would pull it out. He didn`t prove me wrong hopefully :)

the cat
09-20-2002, 07:09 PM
I'm rooting for Russia to win the Davis Cup for the first time. But Russia is fortunate to be up 2-0. Gaudio was up 5-2 and 2 breaks of serve in the fifth set and blows it. Unbelievable! :eek: Atleast Kafelnikov didn't give up and gave Gaudio a chance to feel the pressure.

I just hope a brutal loss like that doesn't hurt Gaudio's career.

Daniel
09-20-2002, 07:11 PM
Well done Russia :)

mmm!marat
09-20-2002, 09:44 PM
congrats russia, finish it off tomorrow :)

Jessi
09-20-2002, 10:06 PM
YAY!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Well done Marat and Yevgeny! Now win the doubles tomorrow!

Go Russia!

Jessi
09-20-2002, 11:09 PM
Article from ATPtennis.com:

Russian Stars Survive to Take 2-0 Lead Over Argentina

Kafelnikov saves two match points in dramatic four-hour victory.

Russia moved to the brink of the Davis Cup finals on Friday with two narrow singles wins by stars Marat Safin and Yevgeny Kafelnikov over tough Argentinian foes in Moscow. Safin's 6-7(1), 7-5, 7-5, 6-1 win over Juan Ignacio Chela and Kafelnikov's dramatic 3-6, 7-5, 6-3, 2-6, 8-6 four-hour comeback victory over Gaston Gaudio gave Russia a 2-0 lead.

Safin and Kafelnikov will try to close out Argentina in Saturday's doubles match against first-time Argentinian pair of Lucas Arnold and David Nalbandian.

In the opening match of the day, Safin had to rebound from a slow start, which he later said was attributable to nerves. Chela dominated the first-set tiebreak, and stayed very close with the Russian through the second and third sets. However, after double-faulting on Safin's sixth set point of the third set, Chela appeared deflated, and Safin clinched the match in the fourth set.

Safin said he struggled on the indoor carpet surface. "It's not my best surface actually, I was really suffering on that surface because it is really fast and it bounces very low," he said.

"I was really scared, I was choking, because it was the opening match, the crowd, a lot of pressure," Safin added with his trademark brutal honesty. "But after 45 minutes I realized that I had to fight."

Kafelnikov's battle with Gaudio was truly epic, with a see-saw battle through four sets that culminated in an extraordinary fifth set. In that deciding set, Kafelnikov took a 2-0 lead after breaking Gaudio's serve, but the Argentinian ran off five straight games to charge to a 5-2 lead.

Gaudio took a 40-15 lead in that game, but surrendered the two match points with a backhand error followed by a forehand that was ruled out on a controversial call, and appeared rattled after those missed opportunities. Kafelnikov took 16 consecutive points to race to a 6-5 lead. At 30-30 serving 5-6, a cramping Gaudio was forced to call for a trainer, but he managed to hold serve for 6-all.

But Kafelnikov devoted all of his energies to one final push, and took the next two games to close out the match, after which he said he felt a great sense of relief. "I feel like a huge burden is now off the team," he said. "It is much nicer to be leading 2-0 than to be level at 1-1."

Argentinian captain Alejandro Gattiker was disappointed at the deficit that his team faces in spite of his players' strong efforts Friday. "I was very happy with the level of my two players, but unhappy to be 2-0 down," he said. "However I am proud of the manner in which they competed."

Although Safin and Kafelnikov are 5-1 as a Davis Cup doubles team while Nalbandian and Arnold have never played doubles together, the Argentinians will be much fresher than the Russians, who spent a combined 7 hours on court during their singles matches Friday.

Kafelnikov realizes that closing out Argentina in the doubles will be a major challenge. "It will be difficult for us to recuperate, but we have been in tough situations before and we must try and motivate each other," he said. "It is very important to win the doubles, as it will be easier to win tomorrow than on Sunday."

http://www.atptennis.com/en/newsandscores/news/news/daviscup_day1_russia.asp

AtPGiRL
09-21-2002, 12:23 AM
:bounce: GO RUSSIA!!! :bounce:

lol! As an American I'm so unpatriotic! The only reason I want USA to win is so I can see Marat play in the finals.. b/c if we're not in it, they don't even show it here.. :rolleyes:

AtPGiRL
09-21-2002, 12:24 AM
BTW.. is anyone getting TV coverage of the Russia/Argentina tie?? If so, I will buy copies of Marat's matches from you! Singles and doubles in any format or language!!!! Let me know! :D

Jessi
09-21-2002, 03:48 AM
Marat

Jessi
09-21-2002, 08:39 PM
Poor Marat and Yevgeny! :( They played their hearts out today. Hopefully Marat will have enough left in the tank and pull out a win tomorrow..

Good Luck Marat! Go Russia! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Nina
09-21-2002, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by AtPGiRL
BTW.. is anyone getting TV coverage of the Russia/Argentina tie?? If so, I will buy copies of Marat's matches from you! Singles and doubles in any format or language!!!! Let me know! :D

I am getting coverage, today I tried taping it but the tape was too short and I only have tghe first three sets. If they repeat it (they usually do) I'll record it and send it to you, no problem

Jessi
09-21-2002, 10:14 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020921/capt.1032640229russia_argentina_davis_cup_mosb123. jpg

Jessi
09-21-2002, 10:37 PM
PLEEEEEEASE Marat, win tomorrow!

AtPGiRL
09-21-2002, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Nina

I am getting coverage, today I tried taping it but the tape was too short and I only have tghe first three sets. If they repeat it (they usually do) I'll record it and send it to you, no problem

Thanks Nina! That would be great!!!

Did you record Marat's match with Chela?? I would love copies of any Marat matches that you tape... I will send you $$!

My email is decoqueen2000@hotmail.com

Jessi
09-21-2002, 11:05 PM
http://www.daviscup.org/images//gallery/21-09-2002-russia2-gr.jpg

harry_potter
09-21-2002, 11:40 PM
RUSSIA! :bounce:

AtPGiRL
09-22-2002, 03:04 AM
I just love that pic!!

kazblah
09-22-2002, 03:11 AM
Go Russia!!!! :bounce:

Jessi
09-22-2002, 04:37 AM
GO RUSSIA !!!

Jessi
09-23-2002, 03:04 AM
Well done Marat! Congratulations Russia!!!

WOO HOO!!! http://zbookpro.net/sml/party.gifhttp://zbookpro.net/sml/party.gif

Jessi
09-23-2002, 03:07 AM
:D :D :D

Jessi
09-23-2002, 03:11 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020922/capt.1032702699_russia_argentina_xmj105.jpg

Jessi
09-23-2002, 03:14 AM
marat and yevgeny w/ boris yeltsin

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20020922/capt.1032712211sports_tennis_russia_argentina_xtm1 04.jpg

cheliste
09-23-2002, 08:52 AM
Hey, Jessi! Thanks for the pics. Love them.
:) :) :)

And have Marat's stubble on his chin and moustache made a comeback? (referring to the last pic)

Way to go Russia! Heavens, it really was so hard when you didn't get any coverage and were only relying on the news and DC site. But they did great!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Bubble
09-23-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Jessi
:D :D :D

http://www.atpworld.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=83957

That's my favorite pic!.... :hearts: :hearts: :hearts:

Thanks jessi! :D

Jessi
09-24-2002, 07:48 AM
:)

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20020923/mdf111727.jpg

dany_pro66
09-29-2002, 06:11 AM
GO RUSSIA!!! WIN DC FINAL!!!

TheBoiledEgg
10-01-2002, 03:10 PM
go Team Russia !!!!!!!!!!!

Jessi
10-07-2002, 09:38 PM
RUSSIA!:bounce:

RUSSIA!:bounce::bounce:

RUSSIA!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Jessi
11-18-2002, 08:22 AM
GO RUSSIA !!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

kazblah
11-18-2002, 08:57 AM
GOOD LUCK RUSSIA!!!! :D :bounce: :)

Nina
11-18-2002, 03:07 PM
GO RUSSIA :bounce:

I'm becoming extremely patriotic for a couple days :)

warfreakbix
11-19-2002, 11:10 AM
GO RUSSIA :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Win your first Davis Cup :D

LuckyCharm
11-19-2002, 01:51 PM
Nina, as you are becoming patriotic, i am becoming very unpatriotic as i am cheering for Russia to win...

GO RUSSIA!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

TennisHack
11-21-2002, 03:21 AM
:D Carry us home, boys.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

cheliste
11-21-2002, 05:48 AM
Go RUSSIA! :bounce:

TheBoiledEgg
11-21-2002, 01:44 PM
Just a week to go :eek:
good luck boys !!!!!!!!!!!!

Bubble
11-21-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Nina
GO RUSSIA :bounce:

I'm becoming extremely patriotic for a couple days :)

I'm turning Russian for a couple of days.... :D :D :D

Go Russia go! :bounce:

kazblah
11-21-2002, 11:45 PM
Good luck Russia!!!! :D :D

vaiva
11-22-2002, 06:44 AM
Good luck Team Russia !! :)

Keep your head together, Marat :D

Forget your leg, Zhenia, you can win on just 1 :D

Take care of your back, Misha :D

... and support your teammates as hard as we do, Andrei :D

LuckyCharm
11-27-2002, 08:52 AM
GO RUSSIA....kick some French butts (good looking ones if i may add:))

TheBoiledEgg
11-27-2002, 05:32 PM
I hope Marat plays 1st cos i don't think he'd cope with a 0-1 situation :sad:

come on Marat

we all know he's gonna play his nemesis in Santoro pfffff

Shamil needs to play some mind games,

Jessi
11-27-2002, 06:26 PM
An article from davis cup's official website:

It's All Down to Us, Say the Russians

It doesn’t matter who they will play, or what surface they will play on, what matters is how the Russians perform in the Davis Cup Final, says Marat Safin.

Neither does it matter how victory against France is achieved. Safin says they will take a win however it comes - with any kind of scoreline, however badly they play.

"Just to win is most important.”

The countdown has begun in earnest to perhaps the most crucial week in Russian tennis since Safin overwhelmed Pete Sampras in the 2000 US Open final to win his first Grand Slam title and Russia’s third, Yevgeny Kafelnikov accounting for the other two. While the nation no longer lacks for titles at the highest level of the game, a Davis Cup title so far remains beyond its reach, despite consecutive visits to the final in 1994 and 1995. It is believed that former Russian President Boris Yeltsin will be at the Palais Omnisports to lend his support.

Having completed a week of practise in Monte Carlo that Kafelnikov says was “productive”, the Russian team has now moved base to Paris and are staying in the same hotel as their French rivals. It’s easy to be relaxed together now, says Safin, ahead of play starting on Friday. Things could get a little harder then.

Russia’s Captain Shamil Tarpischev also firmly believes that his team’s destiny lies in their own hands and not those of the defending champion: “Everything depends on how the Russian players play.”

Denis Golovanov, who is not amongst the Russians' four nominated players, trained with the squad last week in Monte Carlo and is continuing to do so in Paris. Mikhail Youzhny – who has been nominated – has now joined up with the team having missed last week's camp.

While others speculate about which of the nominated French team – Arnaud Clement, Sebastien Grosjean, Nicolas Escude or Fabrice Santoro – will be put forward for the singles matches, or even if Guy Forget will replace one of his nominated players with Paul-Henri Mathieu before the draw on Thursday, Safin has no strong feelings about who he would prefer to see on the other side of the net come Friday.

“They know how to play big matches,” was his succinct assessment.

“I’m doing everything to play my best tennis over the next three days,” continued the 22-year-old Russian.

Losing all three of his matches at the season-ending Tennis Masters Cup in Shanghai does not appear to have dented Safin’s confidence now he is back at Bercy, the scene of his recent title success. In his third visit to the final of the Bercy event, he blew away world No. 1 Lleyton Hewitt, reclaiming the title he first won two years ago. Paris has been good to Safin and he feels comfortable here, even if the Davis Cup Final will be contested on clay rather than carpet.

Because of Safin’s recent success, Kafelnikov would rather his younger teammate was drawn to play the first singles rubber, suggesting that he himself lacks confidence at this stage and that Safin stands a better chance of scoring the first point than himself.

Gamesmanship, perhaps? The enigmatic 28-year-old has had a disappointing season, finishing the year ranked 27, but has still collected two titles. He also won his first Grand Slam title on the clay of Roland Garros in 1996, and has stressed how much the Davis Cup means to him.

He has said several times that he will retire after the final if Russia win, and whatever happens he will undergo an operation on a varicose vein after the weekend.

There can be no doubt that Kafelnikov will play a crucial role in Russia’s fortunes, for better or worse, in the coming week.

vaiva
11-27-2002, 07:58 PM
It's hard to believe that we have virtually one day to go before the Davis Cup final.

Go Russia and bring the Cup home! ;)

Jessi
11-28-2002, 05:07 AM
Marat Safin

Date of Birth: January 27, 1980
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 195
Career Davis Cup Record: 15-12 (9-10 singles, 6-2 doubles)

Will be the key player in the Davis Cup tie, for if he is
playing up to his capabilities he could win it singlehandedly;
coming off a dismal performance at the Tennis Masters Cup in
Shanghai, losing all three of his round-robin matches; won his
first title of the year last month at the Palais Omnisports
Paris Bercy - the site of the Davis Cup final; has won two
events in the arena; finished the season ranked No. 3; began
2002 by appearing in his second Grand Slam final at the
Australian Open but lost to Thomas Johansson; recorded another
runner-up effort at Tennis Masters Series Hamburg; reached the
semifinals at the French Open and the Kremlin Cup; also appeared
in quarterfinals at TMS events in Monte Carlo, Miami and
Toronto; has won four straight Davis Cup singles match dating to
a loss to Roger Federer of Switzerland in Russia's first-round
win this year; expected to play doubles with Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

Yevgeny Kafelnikov

Date of Birth: February 18, 1974
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 185
Career Davis Cup Record: 43-23 (31-13 singles, 12-10)

Davis Cup could be the Russian's swan song; has stated that he
will retire if he wins the Davis Cup, but also said he would
re-evaluate his decision at the end of the year; is scheduled to
undergo surgery the day after the finals in Zurich on the veins
in his legs to alleviate a painful foot ailment that has plagued
him for most of the season; won at least two tournaments in a
year for the ninth straight year with triumphs at Halle and
Tashkent, but finished 2002 with his lowest ranking (No. 27)
since 1993; reached the semifinals in Marseille and Moscow and
the quarterfinals at Doha, Dubai and the Tennis Masters Series
in Indian Wells; has played well at the Palais Omnisports Paris
Bercy, with runner-up efforts at the TMS event in 1996 and 2001
and advanced to other semifinals; was the leader of Russia's
two other Davis Cup final appearances in 1994 and 1995, but went
2-4 in the final ties; will also play doubles for Russia in the
final; captured his fourth Grand Slam doubles crown at the
French Open to become just the eighth man to win at least 25
singles and 25 doubles titles in the Open Era; the indoor clay
courts could pose a problem as the 28-year-old went just 4-11 on
the surface this year and has not won a claycourt event since
triumphing at the 1996 French Open.

Mikhail Youzhny

Date of Birth: June 25, 1982
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 160
Career Davis Cup Record: 1-4 (1-4 singles)

Had a breakout season, finishing the season ranked No. 32 after
beginning 2002 outside of the top 50; won his first career
singles trophy at Stuttgart on clay; also reached semifinals at
Casablanca and Munich on the dirt; was runner-up at St.
Petersburg last month and advanced to two other quarterfinals;
recorded his best Grand Slam result with a fourth-round effort
at Wimbledon; appeared in two dead rubbers in Davis Cup this
season, losing both.

Andrei Stoliarov

Date of Birth: January 9, 1977
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 159
Career Davis Cup Record: 2-0 (2-0 singles)

Best result of the year was reaching the quarterfinals at
Nottingham; spent most of his time on the Challenger circuit,
where he was a finalist at St. Petersburg; had his best year in
2001, finishing in the top 100 for the first time in his career;
advanced to his only ATP final at Chennai last year; is 2-0 in
Davis Cup action, but has never played in a live rubber.

Captain: Shamil Tarpischev

kazblah
11-28-2002, 07:40 AM
Good Luck Russia!!!! :D :bounce:

vaiva
11-28-2002, 07:53 AM
Kafel loses cool in Paris practice :eek:

48 hours ahead of the Davis Cup final, Russia's Yevgeni Kafelnikov fired a ball at the heckling crowd of schoolchildren during Wednesday's practice on the clay of the Bercy Arena. The pressure is growing ahead of Thursday's announcement of the teams.

'Kafel' ;), who's announced he wants to give Russia their first Davis Cup this weekend then retire at 28, was bothered by the crowd during his practice match with team-mate Marat Safin.

The 3,000 kids invited by the City of Paris and the local tennis league cheered each time that he missed a shot. Finally he snapped, firing a ball into the crowd and asking organisers to quieten the over-enthusiastic youth in attendance.

Kafelnikov and Safin barely spoke to each other during practice.

On the French side, the scheduled doubles pair for Saturday Nicolas Escudé and Fabrice Santoro lost an exhibition match against probable starting singles Sébastien Grosjean and Arnaud Clément 6-4 6-3. :rolleyes:

Captain Guy Forget continually chastised Escudé and Santoro, singling them out for overhitting their first shot and for making too many mistakes on the serve.

Forget's choice for Friday's singles will be public knowledge Thursday at noon at the Paris City Hall. The draw will be conducted by 1996 & 2001 French Davis Cup winner Cédric Pioline, who retired three weeks ago after winning the doubles at the Paris Indoor Masters.

The pressure is really building up :)

vaiva
11-28-2002, 09:18 AM
L'equipe wrote that this morning Marat was training with Misha and Zhenia was absent. I wonder why?

At least this is what I understood with my poor French knowledge. Anyway, here's the original text ;)

9h50-11 heures: La révolution de novembreContrairement aux trois jours précédents, Mikhael Youzhny, arrivé une dizaine de minutes avant Marat Safin, n'a pas quitté le court central. C'est avec lui que le n°1 russe s'est entraîné, Yevgueni Kafelnikov brillant par son absence. Sur le court annexe, Andreï Stoliarov et Andreï Cherkasov ont également échangé des balles.

Nina
11-28-2002, 10:12 AM
will somebody be online during the first match?

vaiva
11-28-2002, 10:15 AM
I don't know if *somebody* will be online, haven't seen him/her lately :p

But I definitely be here watching the SB as I don't have any coverage at all :mad:

King Aaron
11-28-2002, 12:45 PM
Good luck Russia! :)

LuckyCharm
11-28-2002, 01:01 PM
there is an interview from Marat's friends on l'equipe website...

vaiva
11-28-2002, 01:52 PM
I assume it's in French :mad:

If anybody could translate it for illiterate fans ;)

Nina
11-28-2002, 02:18 PM
Just saw interviews with our players-

Zhenya said he practiced really hard and was happy that Marat was to play first. He was in a good mood, seemed relaxed :)

Marat said he didn't care about who he had to play and didn't care wheather he was to play first, he also added everyone in the team knew MAthieu was to play- he said he has a better chance than anyone to beat him and Zhenya.

Tarpishev also said he knew that they would put Mathieu and that it was no surprise

Nina
11-28-2002, 04:42 PM
Interview with the Russian team from www.daviscup.org

Are you satisfied with the results of the draw?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: Well, I would say we'll see tomorrow if we're satisfied with the results of the draw. It will be clear tomorrow. I think this is absolutely normal procedure, yes.

Marat, are you ready to win over Mathieu because you lost to him in Moscow during the Kremlin Cup?
MARAT SAFIN: Always ready.

Paris is a lucky city for you. How do you feel yourself on this court in Bercy?
YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Well, the time will show. But I have good practice on the court. Tomorrow we'll see during the match.

Are you surprised by the replacement, by the appearance on the team of Mr. Mathieu?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: We were up to such a possibility. It was not our problem. It was mostly the problem of the captain of the French team. It was his decision. It was up to him to decide who will play.

Kafelnikov said he would prefer to play second, after Safin winning, he would feel more comfortable. Is it important for you, the captain, that Kafelnikov is playing second?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: I would say that it's not bad for us that Safin starts to play first.

Is this one any more special than the others you played, particularly in view of the fact that the years are going by?
YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Absolutely is because, first of all, I think that I'm really seeing that perhaps it could be my last chance to win the Davis Cup while I'm playing. Second of all, it would be a great accomplishment for me to win such a competition, not only for myself, but for the country.

It's always difficult to play the first match in a Davis Cup tie. Do you remember yours? Is it difficult to play, risky to play a first match?
MARAT SAFIN: First of all, I don't have any other options. The draw has been made already. I think anyway you have to bring the point. It doesn't matter playing first, second. Of course, I think it's better to play second if the first one brought you the point. I have to play my match, I have to win it, that's it. There is nothing else I can do.
It's not easy, but I don't have any other options.

To Marat and Yevgeny, what feeling do you have now playing in France, a lot of people are working all together just to make you tired, playing three matches in a row?
YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I think that the pressure will be totally on the French team's shoulder because they're defending champion and playing in their home crowd. That's first.
Second of all, you know, me and Marat, we've been playing a big number of years on the tour. For us it's not unusual to play three matches in a Davis Cup tie, especially in the final. We know how to handle situations. We know how to put up with it, the physical pressure.
You know, it all will come down to which team is mentally stronger. I don't think the physical factor will be playing any big role in the match.

In Moscow, you lost to Mathieu, playing a guy who has no background behind him, who is a newcomer, can play so risky and so well. What do you say now about the match?
MARAT SAFIN: Well, this is not an individual match, I would say. This is a team match. The pressure, the burden of pressure, will be on Mathieu's shoulders. So I don't think, I cannot really presume, that he will play so risky as he did in Moscow during the Kremlin Cup semifinal.

You have millions of fans in Russia, a lot of fans maybe here, whose emotional support is most important for you.
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: It's the first time we'll have so many fans, Russian fans, while playing abroad. I think, I presume, maybe we'll have 1500 special supporters here to Paris from Moscow.
We have a very special fan, the first president of Russia, Mr. Boris Yeltsin. He will be here in Paris to support us. Besides that the Mayor of Moscow, Mr. Lushkov, will be here as well. Naturally, I will tell you that it gives us a lot of support.

Has the captain considered that his players are in their top shape, the best they could be for this final?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: I would answer you like this. The coach is never satisfied by the shape in which his guys are. But to put it frankly, I would say that our team is at the best, excellent form, taking into consideration all the things, all the obstacles, all the things that we had before us during the last two weeks.
Thank you very much. We'll see each other tomorrow.

Daniel
11-28-2002, 06:58 PM
Vamos Rusia !!!!

:) :) ;) :) :) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;0; 0;:)

Jessi
11-28-2002, 08:13 PM
zosse, i've posted the L'Equipe interview with Marat's friends on his forum. GO have a look. :)

kazblah
11-29-2002, 10:11 AM
Go Russia!!!!

TheBoiledEgg
11-29-2002, 02:24 PM
1-0 RUSSIA !!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you Marat :)

for the win but less so for the hairbrain tennis

now go Zhenya !!!!!!!!!!!!!

the cat
11-29-2002, 03:06 PM
Udachi Russia! :bounce:

Jessi
11-29-2002, 06:13 PM
Well done Marat! :) :D

Zhenya ( :sad: ), please play better in the doubles tomorrow. You're the one who wants the Cup so badly. Can't expect Marat to do all the work..

Jessi
11-29-2002, 06:16 PM
Some pics from todays matches..

Marat vs PHM

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20021129/i/2637880298.jpg

:eek: :D (ys would love this picture ;) )

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20021129/i/1916148828.jpg

Jessi
11-29-2002, 06:19 PM
:rolleyes: @Shamil

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uuo22.291102153457.photo00.default-363x384.jpg

Russian supporters:D

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20021129/all/l685632.jpg

Jessi
11-29-2002, 06:21 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20021129/i/1162331457.jpg

:D
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uuo55.291102153606.photo00.default-287x384.jpg

Jessi
11-29-2002, 06:24 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021129/capt.1038591554france_russia_davis_cup_xpar114.jpg

:bounce:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20021129/capt.1038591390france_russia_davis_cup_xpar116.jpg

the cat
11-29-2002, 06:26 PM
Hi Jessi! Thanks for the photos! :) And you're right about Kafelnikov. He better play well in the doubles and lead Russia to a crucial win in the doubles. Because there is no way Russia will win both singles matches on sunday! :eek:

Jessi
11-29-2002, 06:27 PM
Zhenya vs Seb

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20021129/all/l685771.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uwu59.291102185832.photo00.default-253x384.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021129/sge.uwn50.291102182824.photo00.default-384x271.jpg

Jessi
11-29-2002, 06:30 PM
Hi, the cat!:) Long time no talk. The doubles is a must win for Russia cos i just can't see Yevgeny beating PHM...

Jessi
11-29-2002, 06:37 PM
http://www.daviscup.org/scripts/dcpage.dll?pid=115&nid=4174&org=105&

Safin Proves Too Good For Mathieu In Opener

Paul-Henri Mathieu’s dreams of debut Davis Cup glory were left in tatters after losing the opening singles rubber of the Davis Cup Final to Marat Safin 6-4 3-6 6-1 6-4. This time around, the world No. 3 was too good for the 20-year-old Frenchman. After a troubled second set Safin regained his focus and overcame a French fightback in the fourth to give Russia the first point of the tie and avenge his defeat by Mathieu in Moscow two months ago.

Mathieu becomes the latest player to make his first Davis Cup appearance in the Final only to lose. Of the now four men who have played their first match in the Final since the format was adopted in 1972, none has been successful, and the list of noble failures includes Pete Sampras, who lost his first match to Henri Leconte in the 1991 final in Lyon. France’s captain Guy Forget would remember this well – he was on the team then and scored the decisive fourth point for France.

The Frenchman, who looks older than his 20 years, said that he wasn’t nervous at all stepping out on court in front of 15,000 people for Friday’s opening singles match and he didn’t by any means disgrace himself in his debut. He put his defeat down to the fact that, “he [Safin] played better today. I didn’t play since Lyon. Maybe I was lacking competition. But the difference is very little between the two. If I had won the fourth set, it could have turned around.”

In the opening two sets Mathieu showed the maturity that had led Forget to select him, and never let the enormity of the occasion overwhelm him. It’s not every day, after all, that any tennis player performs in front of one head of state (French President Jacques Chirac, who spent his birthday supporting his country), an ex-head of state (Russia’s Boris Yeltsin) and the Mayor of Paris (Bertrand Delanoë).

It was Mathieu who made the early running, forcing three break points in the fourth game of the first set but failing to convert. His forthright style and solid baseline play, accompanied by a double-barrelled grunt, gave him plenty of presence on the clay of the Palais Omnisports de Paris-Bercy.

With Safin making more errors, it was a surprise that the Russian broke first, doing so to take a 4-3 lead despite the efforts of the home fans who knew this was their man’s first real test. Safin went on to win the set 6-4, although not before Mathieu had taken him to deuce in the last game.

In the second set the momentum quickly swung in the Frenchman’s favour as Mathieu, playing deep to the corners, took a 3-0 lead. As Mathieu grew increasingly pumped and confident, Safin continued to miss easy balls, relying on his serve to compensate for sloppy play a number of times. The Russian’s game continued to fall away and with it his mental state, and he was lucky not be broken again in the eighth game. Mathieu held his served a game later to level the match to one set all.

It looked as if Safin was in danger of entering a downward spiral, but in the third set he turned the match resolutely back his way, breaking Mathieu in the second game and again in the fourth. The dazed Frenchman rallied in the seventh game but it was too little too late and Safin won the set 61. The difference was the Russian’s approaches to the net, which he was making more often and winning more frequently, while his errors all but disappeared.

Having steamrolled through the third set, Safin looked certain to race to victory in the fourth as he establish another commanding double break but Mathieu refused to go down without a fight, saving Safin’s first match point at 5-3 and making the Russian do it all again two games later. This time, serving for the match at 5-4, Safin prevailed for his 6-4 3-6 6-1 6-4 victory.

“I lost a little bit of concentration. You know, I won the first set, and then I kind of just slowed down”, Safin explained. “He made me a first break, then I couldn’t find my game back until the third set. The third and fourth, I played really good tennis. I was controlling the match basically. “

This meeting was different, said Safin, from their first in Moscow, won so momentously by Mathieu. “I knew already what I have to do, to not let him play his tennis. When he’s dominating the match, he’s really, really dangerous, so you need to do something, not let him control the match.” While he allowed Mathieu back into the match at the end of the fourth set, his patience, he said, paid off in the end.

Mathieu was generous in defeat. “I think today he’s the best player in the world. When he plays like that, it’s a rollercoaster.”

Despite a draining three hours eight minutes on court, Safin is unperturbed at the prospect of playing again in the doubles on Saturday. “It’s not because of physical; it’s more mental, I think. It’s a Davis Cup, it’s the final. I think it’s more a psychological game than a physical.”

Daniel
11-29-2002, 06:39 PM
Good luck Russia!!!!

:) :) :) :)

Jessi
11-29-2002, 06:56 PM
An Interview with Marat Safin

What is your feeling just after this victory?
MARAT SAFIN: I hope it will help our team to win the Davis Cup. I mean, what else I can say? Just one point for us. We're looking forward to win it. Why not?

In the second set, you looked a little bit tired. Were you or not?
MARAT SAFIN: No. I lost a little bit of concentration. You know, I won the first set, and then I kind of just slowed down. He made me a first break, then I couldn't find my game back until the third set.
The third and fourth, I played really good tennis. I was controlling the match basically. I'm satisfied with my game. To play on clay after a long season on hard courts, to be able to play a tough match against Mathieu, and in France, it means I'm in good shape.

Can you compare this match with the match against Mathieu in Moscow?
MARAT SAFIN: It was different. I never saw him play really. I never played against him. Moscow, I was kind of surprised the way he's playing because he is a great player. Of course he has a big future. He knows how to play, has unbelievable talent. He played well. He has nothing to lose in Moscow, and he was playing great tennis.
But the second match, which was today, I knew already what I have to do, to not let him play his tennis. When he's dominating the match, he's really, really dangerous, so you need to do something, not let him control the match. I tried it, and it was good. I made it today.

How nerve-wracking were those final few games?
MARAT SAFIN: You have to understand that I was nervous, of course. It's a Davis Cup final, the first match, first point, in front of all the crowd that is cheering for France. It's difficult to play your best. I mean, you're always playing your best tennis, but you kind of slow down. You think 5-2 your match is over basically, then you have to play one more game, to finish one more game, which I can't say that I played really bad that game, but he played well.
I was rushing a little bit too much. I almost got broken twice in the fourth set. But then I played good. I was patient at some point.

That match point when you double-faulted, what were you trying to do on that second serve?
MARAT SAFIN: Just, you know, to not let him attack the ball. I wanted to put it really deep, but I was rushing. I wanted to finish really quickly because I wanted to get out of the court. I was rushing. That's why I served really too fast, I think. There was no time between the first and second serve, so it was kind of a mistake.

Did you have a problem with your shoes?
MARAT SAFIN: Maybe because I'm a little bit too light, that's why I'm sliding too much (smiling).
No, it's okay. The court is a little bit slippery. That's why sometimes, you know, you slide a little bit more than normal. But at the end I was getting used to it, and then it was okay.

How fresh do you feel for the doubles tomorrow?
MARAT SAFIN: Kind of really fresh (smiling). I didn't make anything for the last couple of weeks. I was just practicing, you know. I'm okay. Physically, I'm perfect. Mentally, I'm okay.
We'll see how Yevgeny will play. If he will win, then we will be full of confidence and it will be a different story instead of if he going to lose. Then it's really, really a nervous match.
It's not because of physical; it's more mental, I think. It's a Davis Cup, it's the final. I think it's more a psychological game than a physical.

When you talk about the mental part, you also talk about the last games of the match when he broke you back. Was it more a mental thing?
MARAT SAFIN: Yeah, but he played well. He already had 5-2 down, he already had nothing to lose. He played really well. I served all the first service. Maybe I rushed. Like I said, I rushed a little bit. I wanted to finish the game really quickly.
But I think he didn't make any mistake. Also I didn't make any stupid mistakes to lose that game. On a breakpoint, he make me an unbelievable winner from the second serve. What can you do? Then on match point, I was trying to put him a little back so he will not attack my second serve. That's why I made him double-fault, but it wasn't by far.
But that's normal. It's final. Everybody's nervous. Everybody wants to win.

Jessi
11-29-2002, 06:57 PM
Interview with Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Captain Tarpischev

Yevgeny, yesterday you said it could be a question of mental. Do you think it was a question of mental today against Grosjean?
YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: It's difficult for me to answer I think because it wasn't a mental game at all. It was basically one-way traffic. You know, I wasn't able to keep up with him in the second and third set. First set was very close. But in the second seems to me, you know, he run away from me. I tried to do everything I could to stay in the match, to keep the points longer, to keep the games longer. Unfortunately, I was making too many mistakes.

You made two double-faults, the first one in the tiebreak, and one at the beginning of the third set. Do you think it was because you were too nervous?
YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: No, no. You should go back a little bit earlier to that first set because I made a break at 2-All, and I was up 3-2 serving. You know, if I would have keep up the game that I was playing in the beginning, we couldn't come to the tiebreak, I would have won the first set comfortably.
You know, he made a break back, and then obviously the match became, again, quite a close one until the tiebreak.
Like I said, in the tiebreak, it's always a lottery. You have to gamble sometimes. Unfortunately, I took the gamble at the wrong time.

Maybe you put yourself too much under pressure because you wanted to win this so badly.
YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: You know, it's another difficult question for me to answer. You know, I felt the pressure, because a 2-Love lead, it's always much more nice rather than 1-All after the first day.
You know, it's one of those situation where you cannot look far ahead. I was quite happy that Marat won the first match, to give me that kind of freedom that I was playing without such pressure. But, on the other hand, I was maybe not thinking too much how to approach every single point. I wasn't really paying too much attention to the score. I was just trying to play my best game. Sometimes when you do that, you make mistakes. That's what I did, I think.

How do you feel going into the doubles? Tired?
YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: Not really. Not really. I can say it's a logical score, 1-1. Deep inside, I felt I wasn't at my best. To beat Grosjean on the home field in front of such a crowd, you got to have, you know, big guts to do that.
Like I said, unfortunately, I was not able to do that. You know, Marat proved again, you know, that he's the best player on our team by winning the first point.

Did you feel the pressure during the match of Marat?
YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: No, I felt comfortable after the first set. He was playing at home. Like I said, after he won the first set, I felt quite confident that he was going to win the whole match because he was playing quite nicely, with good rhythm, a lot of confidence.

Grosjean plays a lot of dropshots to you. Do you think you will be tired?
YEVGENY KAFELNIKOV: I could have gone another three sets. Unfortunately, it didn't last that long. I'm not tired. I'm ready. The question is if I can put a hundred percent performance like I always do. It's a different thing.

Captain, how do you analyze the first day? Are you worried about the form of Kafelnikov?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: I will say that Kafelnikov was not playing badly. What he lacked was the speed. I think the days that are coming, he will improve his game, and I think that he'll be playing better tomorrow and the day after tomorrow.

I would like to know what you think of what Kafelnikov did, the effort he put into this match, and is it very disappointing for you?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: We are not disappointed because we thought that after the first day that the score would be 1-1.

I would like to know what you think about the match of Marat against Mathieu.
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: I would divide a the first match of Marat in two parts. He was playing rather nervously for one set and a half, then he improved and he gained the speed, he gained the form, and he played pretty well at the end of the match.

Yevgeny said that he preserved a lot of stamina and he's ready to play tomorrow. Could you comment on that?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: Well, taking into consideration that they should play doubles, it's better to lose in three sets in singles than to play five sets in doubles.

What is the key tomorrow in the doubles against Escude and Santoro? Did you study that particularly?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: Well, I wouldn't like to go into details for naturally you can really understand me. We have our own project. We have our own inner thoughts about the match.
What I should say is that everything will be decided by the quality of the serve and by the returning of the serve.

The French public did not support Mathieu because they didn't believe in him. On the contrary, they gave a lot of support to Grosjean.
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: Well, it depends. The supporting of the crowd, it depends very much on the score. If the home team or athlete is leading, naturally he got more support. That was the case in the second match.

Generally the team winning the doubles will win the tie. Do you feel the same and do you believe tomorrow is the key?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: Well, really you're right in most cases it's like that, but sometimes it happens that the fate of the match is decided by the singles.

Last night Yevgeny was serving extremely well, but today his serve left much to be desired. How can you explain it?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: Well, he did that because he wanted to make the first service to be very sure. Grosjean returned the second serve extremely well.

You just said that you count very much or stake very much on Yevgeny Kafelnikov for tomorrow, maybe the day after tomorrow. Previously you mentioned that Youzhny may play. Give your comment on that.
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: You know, we are coaches. We coaches, we act like the weather shows us to act. If it's a sunny day, we act like it's a sunny day. If it's raining cats and dogs, let it rain cats and dogs and we will change.

I would like to know if the whole team is going to have dinner together tonight? Are you going to try to create something or each one will be on his own?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: First of all, recreation procedures, really they are very important. After that, we'll see what will go on, what we'll do.

What interests me very much really is the attitude of the French team towards their national anthem. They were singing the national anthem. It looks like they know it by heart. Why did your team not show the same attitude towards the anthem?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: Well, the thing is that we are patriots really. We made it big, we're already in the final, and it's a big event for us. I promise, we'll learn the words.

Did the first president of Russia give his comment on the result of the first day?
CAPTAIN TARPISCHEV: Well, maybe he'll tell us something, but he did not permit me to go to him and hear his comments.

Stefke
11-30-2002, 11:29 AM
:bounce: :bounce: GO RUSSIA!! :bounce: :bounce:
I hate France since they had defeated Australia in the final!!!:mad: :fiery:

vaiva
11-30-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Jessi
zosse, i've posted the L'Equipe interview with Marat's friends on his forum. GO have a look. :)

Thanks Jessi! So sweet of you :kiss:

Daniel
11-30-2002, 11:57 AM
Go Russia!!!!!!

the cat
11-30-2002, 01:16 PM
Thanks Jessi for all of your work posting articles and interviews! :) Without your efforts, ATP World wouldn't be as good as it is! :D

Mrs. B
11-30-2002, 04:19 PM
Let Mikael Youzhny play!!!!! :(

Jessi
11-30-2002, 09:08 PM
Good luck tomorrow!!!

Go Marat! Just win your match!!!

Go Russia!

Vera
11-30-2002, 09:45 PM
Go Russia. I believe they can still win it. Go Marat and Zhenya.

Jessi
11-30-2002, 09:46 PM
some pics from today's match

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/reuters_ids/20021130/i/750460983.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20021130/all/l686371.jpg
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.uzz66.301102150603.photo00.default-282x384.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/nm/20021130/mdf159535.jpg

Jessi
11-30-2002, 09:49 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aav32.301102180106.photo00.default-384x323.jpg

:(
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aau82.301102175219.photo00.default-384x261.jpg

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aan36.301102165247.photo00.default-384x257.jpg

Jessi
11-30-2002, 09:52 PM
http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/afp_photo/20021130/sge.aaw91.301102181653.photo00.default-384x343.jpg

http://eur.news1.yimg.com/eur.yimg.com/xp/ap_photo/20021130/all/l686409.jpg

madten
11-30-2002, 10:27 PM
GGGGGGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, I'm MAD!!!

Jessi
11-30-2002, 10:37 PM
Its not over till its over!

GO RUSSIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

madten
11-30-2002, 11:34 PM
Hey, Jessi, where are you from? Which city?

madten
11-30-2002, 11:35 PM
I wish it could be like this............. =O

kazblah
12-01-2002, 09:03 AM
Come on Russia!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce:

Mrs. B
12-01-2002, 09:58 AM
GO, RUSSLAND!!!!
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

elisaleehom9
12-01-2002, 10:10 AM
when does the match begin? safin first ?

TheBoiledEgg
12-01-2002, 10:12 AM
Marat plays 1st in just under a hour

Bubble
12-01-2002, 10:16 AM
Go Marat!

Go Zhenya!

Go Russia!

Fight fight fight!

Jeffrey
12-01-2002, 10:49 AM
Just heard on French tv Kafelnikov won't play today...

Jeffrey
12-01-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Jeffrey
Just heard on French tv Kafelnikov won't play today...

Kafelnikov just told on television he will play if Safin wins his match against Grosjean...otherwise Youzhny is a possible replacement

elisaleehom9
12-01-2002, 11:13 AM
if safin failed , the last match means nothing

Mrs. B
12-01-2002, 08:29 PM
CONGRATS TO RUSSIA FOR WINNING THE DAVIS CUP!!!

:D:D:D

Jessi
12-01-2002, 08:43 PM
Congrats to Zhenya, Misha, and to my baby Marat Safin!!! :D:D:D

You guys, rule!!!!!!!!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

RUSSIA, 2002 DAVIS CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!

kazblah
12-02-2002, 02:06 AM
CONGRATS RUSSIA!!!!!! :bounce: :bounce: