Robert Smeets and WC? - the biggest joke of RG 2008 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Robert Smeets and WC? - the biggest joke of RG 2008

Wojtek
05-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Sorry but it's a joke. One big waste of WC.

Montego
05-26-2008, 01:41 PM
They could have given the wild card to me, I expect I would have a similar score vs Berdych.

Andre♥
05-26-2008, 01:41 PM
There was no other Australian to give one! :lol:

krystlel
05-26-2008, 01:42 PM
I agree, Smeets is totally useless and I expected this sort of scoreline. There has to be a better Australian that could have received the wildcard.

adee-gee
05-26-2008, 01:43 PM
:lol: well played Smeets :hatoff:

Wojtek
05-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Imagine - Smeets vs. Nadal :o

Lee
05-26-2008, 01:47 PM
While the American WC is about to oust Cañas :tape:

Experimentee
05-26-2008, 01:51 PM
Smeets is no good on clay. They should have given the WC to Sirianni instead. But Smeets is TA's newest favourite to give WCs to.

Adler
05-26-2008, 01:58 PM
Stevie Wonder was watching his game and he was so amazed that they gave him this WC

Okonsky
05-26-2008, 01:59 PM
Imagine - Smeets vs. Nadal :o

Nadal would win in 30-35 min. Win? Eat.

leng jai
05-26-2008, 02:10 PM
They could have given me the WC and I would have only won 1 less game than that clown Smeets.

maconick
05-26-2008, 02:57 PM
give it to Tomic

DeccyB123
05-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Stupid Tennis Australia in not giving it to Sirriani. :mad:

The age was the key factor i guess, but Smeets is just useless anyway...

dam0dred
05-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Smeets wins one game and gets 14 290€. Seems wrong somehow.

Rik.
05-26-2008, 03:19 PM
he played tournaments on my club when he was young :rocker2:

but I agree it's a joke to give him a WC for RG :lol:

jazar
05-26-2008, 03:24 PM
i think its a shame birdie missed out on giving smeets the triple bagel

GlennMirnyi
05-26-2008, 07:08 PM
And there were people complaining about Guga's WC.

Timbo
05-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Who else are they going to give it to? Sirianni is 33 and will probably retire at the end of the year. He wouldn't have done much better anyway. Tomic is 15 and to throw him in against someone like Berdych would be the same type of stupidity that's ruined Donald Young's confidence. Alun Jones has been given wildcards before and is in worse form than Smeets. Who does that leave? a few guys ranked 250-400 who wouldn't make much of an impact, and the likes of Klein and Greg Jones who are just out of juniors and struggling to reach the top 400 so far. As badly as he did, Smeets was as deserving of the wildcard as any of the other Aussies, it's just that he's in terrible form and has very little claycourt experience. At least this'll help him if he ever gets straight into the maindraw or plays Berdych again.

I just wish TA could've given up their wildcard this year in exchange for two next year. By then, one of the youngsters should be coming through and someone else will be in better form.

hra87
05-26-2008, 07:57 PM
Nadal would win in 30-35 min. Win? Eat.

Even if Nadal hit an ace on every service point and a return winner on every return point, the match would still last 2 and a half hours.

:worship:

Black Adam
05-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Even if Nadal hit an ace on every service point and a return winner on every return point, the match would still last 2 and a half hours.

:worship:
Wow a sarcastic comment you put :worship: emoticom to show how much you appreciate the " already been done a million times joke" you just made.:rolleyes::o Pathetic.

Gents, Ladies and Trolls, can I have a huge :haha: :lol: :rolls: for hra87 who has made the joke of the month???

GlennMirnyi
05-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Wow a sarcastic comment you put :worship: emoticom to show how much you appreciate the " already been done a million times joke" you just made.:rolleyes::o Pathetic.

Gents, Ladies and Trolls, can I have a huge :haha: :lol: :rolls: for hra87 who has made the joke of the month???

Why are you defending Nadal? Has he turned into Roddick's GF?

scarecrows
05-26-2008, 09:36 PM

Nadal and Djokovic are the saviors of tennis according to him :o

Black Adam
05-26-2008, 09:42 PM
I have always been a Nadal supporter. Would you have me brainlessly bash him? Unlike you I am not obssessed by bringing down all the players who play using a style that isn't to my taste :P
Nadal and Djokovic are the saviors of tennis according to him :o
You well that I mean Competition wise, and you know I am telling the truth. There is 3 in the mix and things aren't as monotonous as they were when Fed was sweeping all the tournaments unchallenged.

Thomas MOOSEter
05-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Smeets wins one game and gets 14 290€. Seems wrong somehow.

he should be forced to donate it to charity, and if he doesn't, he should do it on his own accord

Black Adam
05-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Nonsense, he made it into the draw, played a crappy match but is still entitled to his prize money for playing. If he had retired the maybe we could consider taking it off him but he did finnish the match.

hra87
05-26-2008, 11:26 PM

I like pumpkin pie, but I love pumpkin pie with vanilla ice cream on top.

Rumour
05-27-2008, 01:08 AM
:rolls:

Yes, I am easily amused not bitterly sarcastic.

Merton
05-27-2008, 01:17 AM
The joke is on Tennis Australia, they either didn't have a better player to give the wild card or they allowed internal politics to dictate their choice.

GlennMirnyi
05-27-2008, 03:48 AM
I have always been a Nadal supporter. Would you have me brainlessly bash him? Unlike you I am not obssessed by bringing down all the players who play using a style that isn't to my taste :P

You well that I mean Competition wise, and you know I am telling the truth. There is 3 in the mix and things aren't as monotonous as they were when Fed was sweeping all the tournaments unchallenged.

You're defending the indefensible. Nadal is a lover of gamesmanship since he started playing. He's no Fakervic, but...

About competition, it only exists because Federer dropped his level.

Langers
05-27-2008, 06:50 AM
There was no other Australian to give one! :lol:
Bryden Klein
Bryden Klein
Bryden Klein

KitinovRules
05-27-2008, 08:14 AM
The joke is on Tennis Australia, they either didn't have a better player to give the wild card or they allowed internal politics to dictate their choice.
I still think that they should have give it to AO Junior Champion Tomic.

Tennis-Engineer
05-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Alun Jones is a much better player on clay but I think because Smeets is 5 years younger they gave WC to him.

BaggyGreen92
05-27-2008, 09:15 AM
Australian tennis is obviously in decline. French open organisers should offer WC to Australian players if they know any players up to the challenge. Colin Ebelthite was the only player in form. However, he plays on the USA challenger circuit on hard and green clay. They should give the wildcard to maybe Denis Istomin. He did pretty well in the AO. No Aussies deserved the wildcard.

azza
05-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Considering that the only aussie to enter RG was Sirianni meant no Aussie really wanted to play RG

Smeets didnt even enter RG Quallies so the WC was prolly a surprise but anywho

The WC shuda went to the only entrant to RG Sirianni :(

Timbo
05-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Smeets just happened to be on the end of one of Berdych's good days on court. If he lost 6-4,6-3,6-4 to some journeyman ranked 100th would anyone have even noticed he was playing? Give the guy a break.

fast_clay
05-27-2008, 01:29 PM
its a pretty f*cked statement about aussie tennis when we cant get a player up for a WC at roland garros... i agree with those that said klein or tomic should've got the WC... cos the one fallback that youth have is youth itself...

i say this at a time when i am seeing lots of better things going on at TA...

at smeets' age this result reeks of incompetance all round and is alomst insulting to roland garros and its organisers...

what a waste...

Timbo
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Tomic got beaten 6-2 6-0 in a junior event last week against the junior world no. 40. He was also thumped 6-2 6-2 by the world no. 960 the previous week. To give him a wildcard into the French on a surface he's very unfamiliar with would've been ludicrous...he wouldn't have gotten any games against Berdych and his confidence would've been shot going into the junior event. Smeets was simply the player who deserved the WC most.

fast_clay
05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Tomic got beaten 6-2 6-0 in a junior event last week against the junior world no. 40. He was also thumped 6-2 6-2 by the world no. 960 the previous week. To give him a wildcard into the French on a surface he's very unfamiliar with would've been ludicrous...he wouldn't have gotten any games against Berdych and his confidence would've been shot going into the junior event. Smeets was simply the player who deserved the WC most.

fair enough... i cant really argue with you there...

that smeets didnt enter the qualifying event says something however... the FO wildcard looks as if its being treating as some sacraficial lamb...

aussie players weren't scared of clay once upon a time...

au_sports_opinion
05-28-2008, 08:20 AM
at least tomic has a future and wouldve learnt from the bageling, same with klein or jones, there is too much of a 'you have to earn it' mentality with ta, some younguns havent yet had that opportunity. when the talent is evident they should show the faith.

Timbo
05-28-2008, 02:57 PM
at least tomic has a future and wouldve learnt from the bageling, same with klein or jones, there is too much of a 'you have to earn it' mentality with ta, some younguns havent yet had that opportunity. when the talent is evident they should show the faith.

How can you say that when Smeets, who's only 22, has worked his way up to the top 160. Jones and Klein are still yet to make an impression in the seniors and are struggling to win Futures events outside of Oz. TA can't justify throwing them into Grand Slams abroad based on junior performances. As for Tomic, if he's getting bageled on clay by JUNIORS what's he going to learn by going out to play against a top tenner. He wouldn't even be able to get into rallies with Berdych. Players have to "earn it" otherwise they don't try to maximise their potential and settle for their wildcard into the Aussie Open every year and their 14k prizemoney cheque. We don't want to end up like the Brits a few years ago where players ranked in the 600s were getting wildcards into Wimbledon and were never heard from again. Smeets beat Tsonga and Djokovic as a junior, he deserves a little more credit than most people are giving him.

Chris Seahorse
05-28-2008, 09:17 PM
Losing to Berdych with only one game to show for it has got to be the most embarrassing Grand Slam result by anyone for several years.