Next Generation [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Next Generation

Magus13
05-26-2008, 04:15 AM
There has been numerous discusions about Joke, Murray and Gasquet. I'ts obvious which player has lived up to the hype and the the others that haven't to this point. What are your thought on the next group behind them, Cilic, Gulbis and Kohlscreiber. I think Cilic is closest to taking the next step, Gulbis has alot of game but is still a little mental and Kohlscreiber has a ton of talent but seems to have lapses in his consistencey. I like all of them. Del Potro is another name but I don't see the drive to get inside the top 20 as I do with others.

scarecrows
05-26-2008, 04:19 AM
Kohlschreiber? really?

wilmar
05-26-2008, 04:24 AM
I like Kohlscreiber too and he seems to have been around forever but have yet to make his move into the Top 20. He has flashes of brilliance but a lack of consistency (within a match and also during a tournament) is probably his weakness now.
Can't really comment on Cilic and Gulbis as their matches are seldom shown here. Shame really.
As for Del Potro, some of the lower-ranked players are just contented to play tennis for a comfy living and nothing else. (This is just my impression and may not be valid though.)

NinaNina19
05-26-2008, 04:27 AM
Murray is going to be top 10 again in a month or sooner.

~*BGT*~
05-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Kohli is older than Cilic and Gulbis so I don't think that's a good comparison.

Alex999
05-26-2008, 04:40 AM
Philipp Kohlschreiber is 24-25 yo. He is older than other players you mentioned. We need to agree on some kind of criteria first before we discuss this, although I think PMK is innocent already started a similar thread.

GlennMirnyi
05-26-2008, 06:26 AM
Kohlschreiber? :lol:

Jelena
05-26-2008, 06:57 AM
For me the term "next generation" implies something similar like "young gun". So I wouldn't call someone like Kohlschreiber "next generation". Btw, Kohli is #36 in todays Ranking. When does a player have his breakthough? When he's reached Top 5? If so, I can only say: Poor tennis.