Has French tennis ever been at the top ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Has French tennis ever been at the top ?

Montego
05-25-2008, 10:15 PM
Don't get me wrong, this is not about French or France, but about French tennis itself.

France is always put among so-called "tennis countries". They have Grand Slam, great traditions etc..."BIG" tennis countries have always been France, Australia, USA, Spain, even Sweden, Russia or Czech Republic. They always seem to give a great amount of top players. One could think that at least once every ten years France must produce a Grand Slam winner or number one player. And I looked at it a little bit closer and...only Noah is a "one-slam wonder" in an open era. All of these countries mentioned above have multiple Slam winners, even South Africa, Brazil or Romania have more Slam wins than France.

So is it really justified to call France a big tennis country? What do you think ? There must be some reasons for - objectively - poor results of French tennis in modern era. And please don't come up with one word "chokers". There must be some more reasons to that...

CyBorg
05-25-2008, 10:30 PM
France loves tennis. Isn't this enough for it to be a big tennis country?

OSmeone
05-25-2008, 10:35 PM
ever heard of the four musketeers?

Montego
05-25-2008, 10:36 PM
ever heard of the four musketeers?

It was 123794692137462 years ago

delsa
05-25-2008, 11:32 PM
Because rightly or wrongly many French players have a reputation to play "finesse tennis"? Because of Davis Cup wins? Because of the number of players?

richie21
05-25-2008, 11:55 PM
Has French tennis ever been at the top ?

No and the true reason of that is very simple and has actually nothing to do with choke or mental weakness: there has simply not been a good and talented enough french player to dominate the ATP tour.

Gasquet could have putted an end to that "aberration" as he definitely has the talent but sadly his career's been taking the wrong path for at least 1 year.

Nathaliia
05-26-2008, 12:09 AM
All the time in junior circuit :D

Sjengster
05-26-2008, 12:11 AM
It was 123794692137462 years ago

I know I risk patronising you, but you are aware that we're not talking about Dumas' masterpiece here, right?