Roland Garros R128: Murray def. Eysseric 6-2 1-6 4-6 6-0 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roland Garros R128: Murray def. Eysseric 6-2 1-6 4-6 6-0 6-2

JustJames
05-25-2008, 05:49 PM
:help:

zicofirol
05-25-2008, 05:49 PM
well... he does had an easy draw, if my memory serves me right...

rocketassist
05-25-2008, 05:50 PM
typical British CCC hogging up 5 sets to beat a kid :rolleyes:

Henman wasn't a CCC :p

Why the hell is this above the original post? :retard:

TheBoiledEgg
typical British CCC hogging up 5 sets to beat a kid :rolleyes:

rocketassist
Eysseric looked good out there. Murray's mental experience won him that match, but he won't get past Acasuso.

Herdwick
05-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Ye gods - and about the only positive from Barry Davies was 'well he avoided losing in the first round of a GS again'

But let us stay positive...

Montego
05-25-2008, 05:52 PM
What's all the fuss about this Eysseric ? I hoped to see the next big thing, but I saw a kiddo who has to improve everything, starting from serve (doublefaults :help:), baseline play, terrible volleys and some :retard: tactics. I know that there is a room for development, his shots are rather smooth, but he has to work 12 houts per day for the next two years. Otherwise I predict him the career between Oliver Patience and Nicolas Devilder. Any Top100 player would defeat this passive crook Murray 4, 3 and 3 today.

Jelena
suuuper match of Jonathan. I really didn't expect him to take Murray to 5th set. This match should give him confidence that he is able to play also at tour level. :)

scoobs
Such an uneven, unfocused performance from Andy - made defeating a 17 year old wildcard look like extremely hard work - and he made hard work of it.

I think if Eysseric had had a bit more in the legs he would have Tsongad Andy in 4, which depresses me.

Ultimately Andy's greater experience and fitness told, but he will need to step up the performance quite some way going forward.

Well done to Eysseric, he played very well for 2 sets there.

Andy got it done in the end, which I suppose is the main thing, and first rounds are always tricky, but I can't help feel that he made that rather harder than it should have been, and the kind of draw he had should have seen a routine victory rather than a 5 set scrap.

Still, he won.

JustJames
Unexplainable really as to why Murray was playing such a defensive, negative game when he has the ability and shots to simply blow someone of Eysseric's [current - its obviously on the up] standard off the court. Just goes to show that Murray's mentality is what is still letting him down.

Alex999
05-25-2008, 05:53 PM
I can't believe Murray struggled so much. I'm also afraid he won't get past Acasuso :-(.

FluffyYellowBall
05-25-2008, 05:53 PM
I dont get why people are surprised this went the distance. Eysseric is a top junior,, used to be number 1, its the first time he plays him, its clay, he's french and Murray's a head case playing against a s mokin hot piece of *** with a sweet backhand:devil:

TheBoiledEgg
05-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Henman wasn't a CCC :p

so he had a run like Ljubicic did in 2006
big wow, he got 5 clowns in a row and just beat them in 3-4 hours at a time.

Jelena
05-25-2008, 05:55 PM
What's all the fuss about this Eysseric ? I hoped to see the next big thing, but I saw a kiddo who has to improve everything, starting from serve (doublefaults :help:), baseline play, terrible volleys and some :retard: tactics. I know that there is a room for development, his shots are rather smooth, but he has to work 12 houts per day for the next two years. Otherwise I predict him the career between Oliver Patience and Nicolas Devilder. Any Top100 player would defeat this passive crook Murray 4, 3 and 3 today.
This Eysseric IS by ATP-Ranking the best player of his age (b/year 1990). He really can play at this level, as the match today should have showed him. It was only the more of experience that brought Murray to the second round and nothing else. :wavey:

The Freak
This Eysseric is going to be really good in a few years....he is only 17.

Herdwick
I can't believe Murray struggled so much

Yes you can Alex - you needn't be shy to admit it.

Montego
05-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Maybe, but I remember Nadal, Baghdatis or Berdych when they were 17. And they were muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better.

rocketassist
05-25-2008, 05:56 PM
so he had a run like Ljubicic did in 2006
big wow, he got 5 clowns in a row and just beat them in 3-4 hours at a time.

Monte Carlo semi finalist and quarter finalist, decent results at Rome/Hamburg, and he nearly had Coria staring defeat at the face in RG.

Jelena
05-25-2008, 05:57 PM
This Eysseric is going to be really good in a few years....he is only 17.
18 on Tuesday. :)

Rafa = Fed Killa
05-25-2008, 05:59 PM
Good work Murray but next time dont waste 2 sets.

groundstroke
05-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Eysseric definitely has potential, very good forehand. Murray is fucking shit, everyone knows this, as a Brit I actually wanted Murray to lose - any Murray loss is a great loss!

alfonsojose
05-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Murray :help: Corretja must be hidden under a rock now :tape: At least he won :shrug:

noctilux
05-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Eysseric definitely has potential, very good forehand. Murray is fucking shit, everyone knows this, as a Brit I actually wanted Murray to lose - any Murray loss is a great loss!
I agree. He just radiates negativity on the court and somehow his style of play looks extremely clumsy and ugly, in my opinion. I'm also always surprised of how wide he can open his mouth when he shouts a "Come on".
I think Eysseric looked pretty good - he seems a solid player and I'm sure he would have won had he been in better physical condition.

rhinooooo
05-25-2008, 06:11 PM
Such an uneven, unfocused performance from Andy - made defeating a 17 year old wildcard look like extremely hard work - and he made hard work of it.

I think if Eysseric had had a bit more in the legs he would have Tsongad Andy in 4, which depresses me.

Ultimately Andy's greater experience and fitness told, but he will need to step up the performance quite some way going forward.

Well done to Eysseric, he played very well for 2 sets there.

Andy got it done in the end, which I suppose is the main thing, and first rounds are always tricky, but I can't help feel that he made that rather harder than it should have been, and the kind of draw he had should have seen a routine victory rather than a 5 set scrap.

Still, he won.

Agreed.

I feel like Murray is the complete opposite of the 'brainless ballbasher'. To his detriment he seems to be obsessed with playing a very cerebral game. There are times when he really had to assert himself and get more aggressive or change things up. Yet, he just allowed Essyric to build alot of momentum and the match sort of passed him by. I think he's really lucky to make it out of this one.

Jimnik
05-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Expected struggle. Murray just has the worst combination of negative defensive play mixed with a lack of patience. I doubt that he'll get many straight set wins on clay. He'll drift in and out of focus throughout a long match just like Safin.

Jaap
05-25-2008, 06:14 PM
I'd be very suprised if Murray gets past Acasuso in the next round.

Corey Feldman
05-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Terrible stuff

he's got no confidence to play attacking tennis

find your brain Andy

adee-gee
05-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Pisspoor.

Murray would've lost if Eysseric hadn't started to cramp at the end of the 3rd. Dire display. Inexplicable really, Eysseric looked a decent player when he got the chance to wind up on his shots, but he couldn't defend for shit yet Murray still wouldn't go for his shots.

FluffyYellowBall
05-25-2008, 06:19 PM
How many number top juniors have we had that are barely even seen on the ATP tour? a lot

And federer's record as a junior wasnt that good either... In fact, I just checked...He lost to Taylor Dent on grass :haha:

Bottom line is you can't judge from a 17, 18 year old especially in one of the biggest matches of his career.

Allez
05-25-2008, 06:19 PM
Crappy match from Murray. This Eysseric is going to be really good. Can't believe he is only 17. When he first burst on to the scene Murray claimed he he preferred clay to grass. I hope he was lying.

groundstroke
05-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I agree. He just radiates negativity on the court and somehow his style of play looks extremely clumsy and ugly, in my opinion. I'm also always surprised of how wide he can open his mouth when he shouts a "Come on".
I think Eysseric looked pretty good - he seems a solid player and I'm sure he would have won had he been in better physical condition.
Spot on, complete humiliation for Murray if he lost to an unranked 17 yr old.

rhinooooo
05-25-2008, 06:22 PM
I'd be very suprised if Murray gets past Acasuso in the next round.

With Acasuso's brain (or lack of) you never know...

Enjoy Incubus
05-25-2008, 06:23 PM
+540234615481060
Call me the day Murray wins Wimbledon, I'll shoot myself that day.

raven gypsy
05-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Ye gods - and about the only positive from Barry Davies was 'well he avoided losing in the first round of a GS again'

But let us stay positive...

Not encouraging from Andy today..
Good on Eysseric for putting in a good showing. Welcome to the tour.
;)

groundstroke
05-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Crappy match from Murray. This Eysseric is going to be really good. Can't believe he is only 17. When he first burst on to the scene Murray claimed he he preferred clay to grass. I hope he was lying.
I heard that rumour too, he said he likes playing on clay the most, shame he's utter bollocks on it.

richie21
05-25-2008, 06:49 PM
I guess Andy can't wait for the grass season to begin.....like another Andy!:devil:

jonny84
05-25-2008, 06:50 PM
Did not expect this to go to five sets, but Andy pulled it through!

Corey Feldman
05-25-2008, 06:50 PM
I heard that rumour too, he said he likes playing on clay the most, shame he's utter bollocks on it.He's just become allergic to aggresive tennis, no confidence - he thinks he's gonna miss everytime he goes for it... and he's usually right :o

Horatio Caine
05-25-2008, 06:53 PM
I came in mid-way through the 3rd set and unfortunately forced myself to watch much of the rest of it...and you know what? I just don't have the desire to comment further on that display. :retard:

sportsbag
05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I guess a win is a win, but Murray seemed to lack the self-belief to play more aggressively.

Interesting fact though that it was only the second match for both of them at RG. [JE had a wildcard last year, whilst Murray played one match in 06]. Maybe JE felt he had nothing to lose, whilst Murray felt he had everything to lose if he lost again in a 1st round GS.

Horatio Caine
05-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Eysseric looked good out there.

In patches, but as has already been said here, he needs to improve most aspects of his game if he is to be top 100 quality (which he isn't based on today imo).

Julio
05-25-2008, 06:57 PM
Nice performance by Eysseric but i'm sure he could have won it. He started so badly fourth set.

Johnny Groove
05-25-2008, 06:58 PM
Such an uneven, unfocused performance from Andy

Murray is fucking shit, everyone knows this

Expected struggle. Murray just has the worst combination of negative defensive play mixed with a lack of patience.

Terrible stuff

Pisspoor. Dire display. Inexplicable really

Crappy match from Murray.

I just don't have the desire to comment further on that display. :retard:

:lol:

Farenhajt
05-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Extremely good display of well-planned and court-dominating attacking tennis from Murray. Eysseric gave his all, but eventually realized there's no winning against The Talentedest.

seljanin
05-25-2008, 07:12 PM
And federer's record as a junior wasnt that good either... In fact, I just checked...He lost to Taylor Dent on grass :haha:

Bottom line is you can't judge from a 17, 18 year old especially in one of the biggest matches of his career.

I agree about that 2nd paragraph, but what's that laugh in 1st? :shrug: Grass perfectly suits Dent's all-attack S&V game; it's his best surface, imo.

spriwi
05-25-2008, 07:33 PM
:help:

Rogieva
05-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Lol. He will go out next round. How is Murray in the top 20? All he does is stand 4ft behind the baseline and rolls the ball back in waiting for opponents to make mistakes. Never going to win slams like that. His FH is amateur.

NyGeL
05-25-2008, 08:27 PM
I hope Chucho to kick this kid ass

Merton
05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Surprising that the outcome of the match was decided by the fact that Eysseric is not fit enough to play 5-set matches at this point.

groundstroke
05-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Lol. He will go out next round. How is Murray in the top 20? All he does is stand 4ft behind the baseline and rolls the ball back in waiting for opponents to make mistakes. Never going to win slams like that. His FH is amateur.
I agree, the game has moved on, Murray can't play counterpuncher, it doesn't work any more.

Ma Baker
05-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Nice match for Eysseric :)

Murray :silly:

jazar
shame that murray turned it around. a more experienced player would have taken him down. way down

timafi
Jo too bad ur fitness let u down;U would have put him away for good:sad:
I'm so proud of u:yeah:

Burrow
05-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Eysseric is pretty much 18...

Montego
05-25-2008, 09:36 PM
When Gasquet was 19 he was making fun with Federer in Monte Carlo. In my opinion Eysseric is not half as good as Gasquet and Gasquet is not too good eiher :p

Jelena
05-25-2008, 09:41 PM
When Gasquet was 19 he was making fun with Federer in Monte Carlo. In my opinion Eysseric is not half as good as Gasquet and Gasquet is not too good eiher :p
Can you imagine that some players are 18 and still develop tenniswise? Not everybody is on his top level with not yet 17 like Rafa was. :rolleyes: And if you have a look at the U-18 ATP-Ranking thread in the Junior section of mtf you'd see that Jonathan in his b/year is by far the best player on the tour. :wavey:

krystlel
05-25-2008, 09:43 PM
I only watched the last two sets so didn't get much of a representation of Eysseric's performance, by then he was pretty much far too tired and it was kind of boring to watch for that reason. Kind of worrying that Murray seemed to be beaten handily before Eysseric started having problems physically.

Montego
05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Can you imagine that some players are 18 and still develop tenniswise? Not everybody is on his top level with not yet 17 like Rafa was. :rolleyes: And if you have a look at the U-18 ATP-Ranking thread in the Junior section of mtf you'd see that Jonathan in his b/year is by far the best player on the tour. :wavey:

Kristian Pless was a top junior too. Some others as well. I am saying what I saw and I saw a mediocre Eysseric, even as for the 18-year old. If he is 1st in juniors - we will have a crap tennis future. :wavey:

FluffyYellowBall
05-25-2008, 09:45 PM
I agree about that 2nd paragraph, but what's that laugh in 1st? :shrug: Grass perfectly suits Dent's all-attack S&V game; it's his best surface, imo.

Its funny because it's also Fed's favorite surface...I know he wasnt half the man he is now but im just giving an example about a Junior who had an average record who's become the best play in the world;)

tennisfan444
05-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Eysseric showed a lot of promise, plus hes pretty cute too :)

Mateya
05-25-2008, 09:55 PM
:haha:
Murray and his crazy scorelines.

I just dont understand his game...It's nice to be patient, but this is too much. With his backhand I would be cracking the ball at every single opportunity, instead of rolling it most of the time like my grandpa. And not to mention the forehand...

People call Simon a pusher, then what is Murray? :retard:

Jaap
05-25-2008, 10:00 PM
People call Simon a pusher, then what is Murray? :retard:

Simon is a mug pusher that has no capabilities of being anything but that. Murray at least has the potential to let rip but doesn't seem to want to hit through his forehand.

zicofirol
05-25-2008, 10:03 PM
Simon is a mug pusher that has no capabilities of being anything but that. Murray at least has the potential to let rip but doesn't seem to want to hit through his forehand.

exactly, murray can hit it when he wants to, its good not be a mindless ballbasher but murray is too passive, he needs to be a bit more of a ballbasher every once in a while..

shotgun
05-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Monte Carlo semi finalist and quarter finalist, decent results at Rome/Hamburg, and he nearly had Coria staring defeat at the face in RG.

Coria was never losing that match anyway.

Henman wasn't a CCC, but he was far from outstanding on the surface and it won't be much of a big deal if Murray equals his results on clay some day, considering the amount of hype that has always surrounded him.

ChinoRios4Ever
05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
:o

richie21
05-25-2008, 10:09 PM
exactly, murray can hit it when he wants to, its good not be a mindless ballbasher but murray is too passive, he needs to be a bit more of a ballbasher every once in a while..

It reminds me another youngster.....

sheeter
05-25-2008, 10:24 PM
I was very impressed by Eysseric. The final set was closer than the score would make it appear, and I look forward to seeing Eysseric on a hard court, where his power and first serve will be even more effective. This kid has potential.

Jim Courier
05-25-2008, 10:33 PM
I was there and it was a pretty enjoyable match, i had never seen Eysseric or even heard about him, he has a good backhand and showed some combativity. He really looked tired and has to work his physique though.

Murray was poor (some terrible shots) but did enough in 3 sets. At the end of the 5th it was obvious that had Eysseric's stamina been a bit higher his victory was far from certain. Good on Eysseric for still trying.

Some of his backhands were really great, he can strike it and has a good down the line. Will his junior prowesses translate to anything substantive in the main draw, that's another story, but at least it wasn't a wasted WC.

Pixie
05-25-2008, 10:39 PM
Murray actually didn't only win because Eysseric was getting tired. He cut down the UEs in the fourth and by then put more first serves in. He also used a better shot selection by hitting more on the less steady side of Jon aka his FH. Granted the match would have been a lot more closer had Eysseric been healthy and it's a promising loss.

Eysseric still has a lot of things to improve but this kind of match will give him the confidence he needs on the challenger level which is the next step he has to pass through right now.

NinaNina19
05-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Murray was sick apparently:
Murray revealed he had to cut back his training after taking antibiotics since Tuesday for a throat problem.

I was told to do half of what I would normally do.

"I had to make sure I wasn't tiring myself out too much and getting a lot of sleep.

I feel a bit better today but this has been the first day I have been feeling good.

I'll take tomorrow easy and work hard in the gym on Tuesday."

The_Beast
05-25-2008, 11:16 PM
With this game Murray should think for the next GS,where he has better chances

Andi-M
05-25-2008, 11:16 PM
Don't all players have days like this when they 'nearly' lose to a unknowner it happens. Its happened to Fed, Nadal, Sampras you name it.

Im not happy with Muzza's game particularly but im only interested in the W these daysd, which he got.

adee-gee
05-25-2008, 11:18 PM
True.

Murray should come to the net more as well, he's in the top 3 volleyers in the singles game at the moment, he doesn't use it enough.

arm
05-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Murray and his crazy scorelines.

I just dont understand his game...

Me neither.

Alex999
05-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Murray's press conference:

Q: Can you ever stop yourself from playing drop-shots?

A: Can you ever stop yourself from asking silly questions? (laughing)

Q: No, I've made a career out of it.

A: Right.

:lol::lol::lol:

Queens.
05-25-2008, 11:53 PM
Andy :help:

That's why I miss Tim :sobbing:

scoobs
05-26-2008, 12:19 AM
I wasn't thrilled with the performance but I'm glad he got through.

Chucho will require a much higher level.

Albop
05-26-2008, 12:28 AM

yeah, his carrer is over :sad:

sunsfuns
05-26-2008, 02:31 AM
Its funny because it's also Fed's favorite surface...I know he wasnt half the man he is now but im just giving an example about a Junior who had an average record who's become the best play in the world;)

Roger was #1 junior and Wimbledon champion. I wouldn't call that an average record...

Knightmace
05-26-2008, 04:51 AM
Murray struggled this ig going to be tough for him.

Alex999
05-26-2008, 05:46 AM
I'm not sure if you guys read his interview after the match, but he said that he was sick...

Turquoise
05-26-2008, 06:31 AM
Murray :smash:

At least he got a good wake-up call from Eysseric. Well done to the kid for making this a competitive match. He truly deserved his wild card.

Murray, shape up for the next round, or else. :armed: You're
better than this.

Jelena
05-26-2008, 06:53 AM
Murray's press conference:

Q: Can you ever stop yourself from playing drop-shots?

A: Can you ever stop yourself from asking silly questions? (laughing)

Q: No, I've made a career out of it.

A: Right.

:lol::lol::lol:

Lucinda
05-26-2008, 09:11 AM
Such a typical Murray score line...

Allez
05-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Yet another excuse from Murray. He's always got some kind of ailment to explain away his more dismal perfomances. It's getting old. Stop pushing and start believing in your ability to hit winners Murray and you won't have matches like this. In the past you've shown you can do it. This is not a dress rehearsal, it's real life & RG '08 will never come around ever again.:mad:

Horatio Caine
05-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Simon is a mug pusher that has no capabilities of being anything but that.

:haha: :haha:

Murray at least has the potential to let rip but doesn't seem to want to hit through his forehand.

Yeah could be psychological scarring from that wrist injury. :sad:

Horatio Caine
05-26-2008, 10:04 AM
I wasn't thrilled with the performance but I'm glad he got through.

Chucho will require a much higher level.

Well, Eysseric was physically deficient, and Chucho is often mentally deficient...so you never know.

FluffyYellowBall
05-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Roger was #1 junior and Wimbledon champion. I wouldn't call that an average record...

Bartoli won 2 slams in her junior years :help:

Look at Baghdatis junior record
http://www.itftennis.com/juniors/players/activity.asp?player=30021121

Look at the slams he won and the the players he lost to in slam finals and other finals...
Federer had a good Junior record, lots more players had it better.
And my bad for saying he was never a #1 junior

NinaNina19
05-26-2008, 02:57 PM
Yet another excuse from Murray. He's always got some kind of ailment to explain away his more dismal perfomances. It's getting old. Stop pushing and start believing in your ability to hit winners Murray and you won't have matches like this. In the past you've shown you can do it. This is not a dress rehearsal, it's real life & RG '08 will never come around ever again.:mad:WTF? No he doesn't, he usually doesn't make excuses.