RG R1: Mathieu sends Guga into retirement, wins 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R1: Mathieu sends Guga into retirement, wins 6-3, 6-4, 6-2

osalsyst
05-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Expected but...:sad:

Good luck with everything Guga! You will be missed. :worship:

Andre♥
05-25-2008, 04:47 PM
Even with the evident hip problems, Kuerten still has one of the most entertaining games in the circuit.

He brought back his vintage Diadora equipment! And that passing shot to save the first match point!

That smile will be missed in the circuit. One of the best true tennis lovers in the circuit.

You will be missed, Guga! Obrigado!

EDIT: They gave Guga a trophy! Well done! :worship:

elessar
05-25-2008, 04:48 PM
That he will :sad: I expected more of a beating so I'm glad. He already had tears in his eyes before the match and now he's crying openly. I hope he still managed to enjoy his farewell tour :hug:

adee-gee
05-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Good professional win for Paulo.

Guga :hug: all the best in retirement, thanks for the memories :worship:

HeretiC
Tears at the end, touching moment, end of the career for great great player.:worship:

I like the gift they gave him (structure of the clay court).

Andre♥
Guga speaking in French! :eek:

So cute! :hug:

akosiirwyn
05-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Great to see him smile through the whole match.
The speech :sad:
we'll miss you Guga!
Good match from Mathieu, GL in the next round.

MisterQ
All the best to you, Guga! :worship:

Your game and personality will be missed.

Voo de Mar
Mathieu - the last man who beat Sampras and Kuerten...

rolandgarros
05-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Will ITF give him a OLYMPICS WC?

Shabazza
05-25-2008, 04:51 PM
I just loved the atmosphere out there during the match. :D

I wish you all the best for your life away from tennis.

:worship::worship: to a truely great and unique person of the game!

You'll be missed.

The Freak
05-25-2008, 04:52 PM
What a guy, what a player. He will be missed. :sad:

juninhOH
05-25-2008, 04:52 PM
very emotional match. I liked because guga still managed to play some very good points, despite his movement limitation!

parabens guga!

Andre♥
05-25-2008, 04:53 PM
Will ITF give him a OLYMPICS WC?

He was offered a WC for the Olympics, but he refused. The pain on his hip is just too much. If he feels pain on his hip while being sit, imagine while playing tennis! :eek:

Krikry
I began to follow tennis because of him... I'll miss him so much :sad:

zicofirol
:worship:Guga:worship: , put up some sort of a fight, and had 2 str8 backhanders down the line that where vintage guga to break mathieu in the 2nd :)...

Deboogle!.
Thank you, Guga :hug:

Wojtek
05-25-2008, 04:54 PM
:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

NinaNina19
05-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Guga did well.

homogenius
05-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Heartbreaking at the end.He was crying after the match and tried to talk in french during the ceremony :sad:
Crowd loved him and he loved french crowd a lot.He'll be missed.

gugette
05-25-2008, 04:55 PM
:sad: :hatoff:

Lee
05-25-2008, 04:56 PM
He was offered a WC for the Olympics, but he refused. The pain on his hip is just too much. If he feels pain on his hip while being sit, imagine while playing tennis! :eek:

His hip is in pain even he sleeps. :tears:

Such an excellent person. He was obvious in pain and he still had all those beautiful smiles on court. :worship:

savesthedizzle
05-25-2008, 04:57 PM
Guga was one of my favorites even before I got *really* into tennis. :worship: Thanks for all the memories Guga. This was probably one of the most emotional tennis matches for me to watch. I had tears in my eyes for probably the last 3-4 games :awww:

He will be missed, but he'll never be forgotten :awww:

shotgun
Finally he put himself out of his misery.

I liked the Diadora retro outfit too. :D

Thanks for the memories, Guga. :worship:

Peacemaster
Goodbye Gustavo. Thanks for the memories.

holagirl56
<3 Guga forever. He was just so happy being on the court.

Paulo was a complete gentleman too.

jeahhh!
:sad:

Burrow
05-25-2008, 04:58 PM
He played a pretty good match actually, some really good rallies.

It was a great ending for him, everybody was smiling, him and Mathieu joked around and they gave him a trophy at the end which made him very emotional, it was layers of the court, perfect.

scoobs
05-25-2008, 04:59 PM
Best wishes in your life, Guga - thanks for the memories!

Jelena
05-25-2008, 04:59 PM
It is a pity that he had to finish his career because of the injuries. But on the other side it's good for his body he doesn't play anymore.

Boa sorte na sua vida depois do tênis, Guga! :wavey:

Allez
05-25-2008, 05:01 PM
I hope Rogi does not end his career like this. I hope he pulls an Henin. Still mad props to Gugga. Didn't really pay much attention to him at his best, but I'm sure he was a great champion and lots of people love him. I am somewhat of a PHM fan, so not too distraught about this result.

Tommy fan
05-25-2008, 05:04 PM
Bye bye Guga :sad: :sad:
It was such a sad moment.. the ceremony :sad:
Thanks for everything!

Blue Heart24
05-25-2008, 05:06 PM
:hatoff: :) Thanks Guga and good luck in life after tennis :wavey:

ClaudiuS
05-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Guga Kuerten :worship:

That yellow/blue outfit. :rocker2:

That impressive one handed bh stroke will never be forgotten.

Shabazza
05-25-2008, 05:09 PM
I hope Rogi does not end his career like this. I hope he pulls an Henin. Still mad props to Gugga. Didn't really pay much attention to him at his best, but I'm sure he was a great champion and lots of people love him. I am somewhat of a PHM fan, so not too distraught about this result.

Sorry, but I rather have an end like Guga or Agassi - than a Henin or Borg retirement.

Ome
:awww: Best wishes, Guga :worship:

:hatoff:

BryanAndBryan
goodbye, genius :worship: :wavey:

Alex999
05-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I hoped Guga could make it to the second round. Best wishes to a great man.

Allez
05-25-2008, 05:15 PM
Sorry, but I rather have an end like Guga or Agassi - than a Henin or Borg retirement.

Agassi was still a major force in tennis when he retired. He was not the world number 1 but he was still on top of his game. It was not a pitiful end to his career. Ditto his wife. Just don't wanna see top players go out as mere shadows of their former selves. Pale shadows at that. So undignified.

sawan66278
05-25-2008, 05:23 PM
A truly sad, but touching farewell to a true legend of the game. If he had remained healthy, he would be a nice alternative to the top three...a player who is the living embodiment of joy.:sad:

And he played a solid match...showing that he indeed deserved a wild card. PHM played well...surprisingly, a lesser player might have actually lost today. And that backhand: the best the tour has ever seen.

And, like all champions, he saved a match point before going out.

Only complaint: someone should have carried the trophy for him so he could waive to the fans...

Guga...the former King of Clay...but the ONLY King of Tennis Bliss.

rocketassist
05-25-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm angry that I didn't get to see this here, we only get one fucking court and it was Murray-Eysseric.

Parabens. Guga :worship:

G4.
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Agassi was still a major force in tennis when he retired. He was not the world number 1 but he was still on top of his game. It was not a pitiful end to his career. Ditto his wife. Just don't wanna see top players go out as mere shadows of their former selves. Pale shadows at that. So undignified.

Agassi was struggling big time with his back when he retired . had he been playing at 25% he would have trashed a pitiful player like Becker

Okonsky
05-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Boa sorte na sua vida depois do tênis, Guga! :wavey:

Nice :)

stebs
05-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Of course this was bound to happen but still a sad one to see such a great and well loved player leave the game forever. Kuerten has provided the game with character, joy and great tennis. His imprint in tennis will live on through the memories he created. Goodbye to one of the best claycourters of all time.

Zirconek
05-25-2008, 05:35 PM
Guga :worship:

thanks for everything :yeah:

Zirconek
05-25-2008, 05:36 PM

according to the news, CBT - the Brazilian Tennis Association - refused the WC, it would be against their rules, but I think it's weird.

GlennMirnyi
05-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Guga is the symbol of an era where players could have personality without being arrogant pricks and cheaters.

Thank you Guga for everything, you'll surely be missed.

:worship:

NaDALiTa
05-25-2008, 05:39 PM
:worship: :worship: Thanks For Everything.

safinalium
05-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Of course this was bound to happen but still a sad one to see such a great and well loved player leave the game forever. Kuerten has provided the game with character, joy and great tennis. His imprint in tennis will live on through the memories he created. Goodbye to one of the best claycourters of all time.
Great words.

Thank you, Guga. Take care and have a great life :worship:
It doesn't matter how his career ended, we will always remember him as the champion he is.

aeronatasha
05-25-2008, 05:56 PM
Guga :sad::sad::sad:
I knew this would happen, but I can't help feeling sad.

luxsword
05-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Guga. :worship:

alfonsojose
05-25-2008, 06:06 PM
:sobbing: :wavey:

Minotaur
05-25-2008, 06:07 PM
At least Guga's shown up today

unlike that match vs Ljuba in MC

groundstroke
05-25-2008, 06:08 PM
I think everyone will miss his beautiful backhand the most, what a shame he has to go. :(

aeronatasha
05-25-2008, 06:10 PM
One on one with Gustavo Kuerten
Sunday, May 25, 2008
By Benjamin Adler

For the first in a series of daily interviews, we meet with Gustavo Kuerten and discovered some interesting facts about this star of the courts…

Favourite concert

U2’s “Elevation Tour” in Miami, in 2000

Favourite CD
Bob Marley - Compilation.

Favourite website

www.waves.com.br, I check it out all the time, just to see if the waves are good, even if I’m not going surfing.

Favourite magazine or newspaper

Diario Catarinense, the daily newspaper in Santa Catarina, where I live in Brazil.

Favourite TV programme

Football matches. I support Avaï, who are in the second division, and follow their matches on “pay-per-view”.

Favourite film
The Shawshank Redemption

Favourite sporting idol
Pelé

The stupidest thing you’ve ever done
Throwing my racquet here at Roland Garros in 1998 during a doubles match and getting kicked out of the tournament

Best moment on the court

I have two. The most emotional match for me was my victory against Michael Russell here in 2001. I was elated – it was amazing. I’d never felt that way before. The best I’ve felt on a court would have to be at the Masters Cup in Lisbon in 2000.

First girlfriend

My first serious girlfriend was French. She was here with me in 1997.

Most memorable moment at Roland Garros

When I drew a heart on the court in 2001. The first one after the match against Russell, not the second one in the final.

The most under-estimated player on the tour

I’d have to say Tsonga. It’s not that he’s underestimated but I’d really like to see him in the top 5. With his personality, he could be really good for tennis.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2008-05-25/200805251211713274546.html

Enjoy Incubus
05-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Thank you Guga for all these years :)

Chiseller
05-25-2008, 06:31 PM
always sad to when such a great character leaves the building. good bye :)

foul_dwimmerlaik
05-25-2008, 06:33 PM
Farewell Guga. You were one of a kind.

Roland Garros lost two great champions in the span of one month.

uNIVERSE mAN
05-25-2008, 06:38 PM
this guy's real retirement was four years ago, I don't understand the point of this.

jonny84
05-25-2008, 06:42 PM
Shame to see Gustavo retire. Shame he couldnt win a few matches here too.

Eden
05-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Unfortunately I only saw the end of the match. Wonderful atmosphere, respect between players and Guga was able to show once in a while why he was described as Picasso of tennis :worship:

It was so lovely to see the joy on his face to be on this court today :) Though it hurt of course to see the pain he is going through on the other hand :sad:

Guga, thanks for everything you brought to us tennisfans in all the years. It was a pleasure to follow your career. You are a unique player and a unique personality. You will be deeply missed :sad:

All the best for your future :)

Purple Rainbow
05-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Guga, thanks for everything! You will be missed!

I wish you all the best for the rest of your life!

*snowflake*
05-25-2008, 08:07 PM
I watched the match with a feeling of something being stuck in my throat.
Then it ended, he sat, put a towel on his head and started crying...and i started bawling along with him :crying2: lol It was more than i could handle...
:hug: Guga, have a great life and take care :bigclap: :wavey:

RNP2008
05-25-2008, 08:10 PM
what a great atmosphere...and sooooo sad!!!
guga, we will miss you!!!

Boris Franz Ecker
05-25-2008, 08:19 PM
All the best to you, Guga! :worship:

Your game and personality will be missed.

What do you miss?
He did not play for some years now.
At least in the public.

Voo de Mar
05-25-2008, 08:22 PM
What do you miss?
He did not play for some years now.
At least in the public.

Until he announced the farewell tour, there was a hope he would continue normal career :shrug:

NyGeL
05-25-2008, 08:22 PM
good bye to a legend and a great person :)

CyBorg
05-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Mathieu is not a smart player. Kuerten still showed some vintage magic. A couple of great backhands up the line at 3-4 in the second set to get it to 4-4.

justClaudia
05-25-2008, 08:28 PM
Unfortunately I only saw the end of the match. Wonderful atmosphere, respect between players and Guga was able to show once in a while why he was described as Picasso of tennis :worship:

It was so lovely to see the joy on his face to be on this court today :) Though it hurt of course to see the pain he is going through on the other hand :sad:

Guga, thanks for everything you brought to us tennisfans in all the years. It was a pleasure to follow your career. You are a unique player and a unique personality. You will be deeply missed :sad:

All the best for your future :)

wish him all the best, great guy:)

Merton
05-25-2008, 08:32 PM
All the best to Guga, hopefully he will be able to enjoy himself without feeling pain. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ADh8Fs3YdU

timafi
05-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Merci Guga pour tout:worship::worship:
:sad::sad:

s.m.
05-25-2008, 08:54 PM
farewell guga
he wasn´t around for a long time, so he dropped out of the eye a little bit, but my god what a great player
a legened

dam0dred
05-25-2008, 09:09 PM
*sniffle*

A true legend. Farewell. :tears:

Black Adam
05-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Goodbye GUGA, Thanks for the wonderful memories :worship:

http://img.skysports.com/08/05/800x600/gustavokuerten_897362.jpg

krystlel
05-25-2008, 09:34 PM
Good luck to Kuerten in the future.

I'm just pleased that he was able to show some glimpses of his old self and that he put in a better performance than in Monte Carlo (or was it Rome?).He was serving well and striking the ball reasonably well today when he was in position but of course he wasn't often in position.

Voo de Mar
05-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Good luck to Kuerten in the future.

I'm just pleased that he was able to show some glimpses of his old self and that he put in a better performance than in Monte Carlo (or was it Rome?).

MC

ycpg
05-25-2008, 09:39 PM
Good Bye

Forever Guga :worship:Thanks for all:wavey:

tennisfan444
05-25-2008, 09:41 PM
So sad! Such a great player, he will be missed!

richie21
05-25-2008, 10:02 PM
Guga is the symbol of an era where players could have personality without being arrogant pricks and cheaters.

Well said.
More than Guga the player,i'll always remember Guga the person: he was such a cool classy guy.

For a foreign player to be that loved by the Parisian crowd says it all really.

ChinoRios4Ever
05-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Guga x 10000000 :worship:

Eden
05-25-2008, 10:35 PM
From the offical press conference:

An interview with Gustavo Kuerten - Sunday, May 25, 2008

Can you tell us about your feelings right now?

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: I think I'm very satisfied, especially the memories that are going are going to stick with me from this match. I thought I played much better than I expect. Wasn't a single shot that I didn't make, so I play, you know, forehand, backhand, serve, dropshot, volleys.

I did everything that I think I was able to do in the past, too. Not at the same frequency, but at least I had the feeling to do it once more. I felt myself competitive sometimes, and like this.

I really had the real idea that, you know, if I had the better ‑‑ if I could expect better reaction from my body, I'm sure I would be playing a great level, so that's good for me.

Probably my goal was pretty much achievement from what I expect from my match.

And then the match ended and we saw you going to the bench, putting the towel over your head. What were you thinking about at the time?

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: No, just being thankful for everything that happened to me in all my career.

I'm always used to do this once finish tournaments, once I had the wins, too. Just take one minute for myself and really deep thinking from everything that happened in my life.

Especially right now, it was more ‑‑ more overall, you know, during all these years, all the success that I have, and the opportunity that I have to play on this great event.

So basically, thanking for all this great time I have on tennis court.

You will play doubles with Sebastien Grosjean. Why Sebastien?

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: I think yes. Yes. I didn't know because he was injured, but I think he confirmed now, and we book in Miami. He has been around all the years I was playing very well, too, and we are good friends. We ask each other, Hey, let's go. We play. It's nice, a French guy playing here. I think it would be just some extra fun.

It's not the same, you know, expectations. It's not the same intenseness (sic) and the singles match, but at least extra fun that I can try and enjoy a little bit more.

What did tennis mean in your life? What did tennis give to you?

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: I guess big knowledge. All these years I've been learning a lot, and especially these last three or four years that I have to deal with difficult situations. So I had to grow as a person, too. I guess my world start to get larger because of tennis, the success I had.

I was able to ‑‑ my life just became something much more larger than normal people. And like this, I think I was able to adapt myself pretty well. I was happy being successful, so basically tennis, it was ‑‑ in this part of my life was running into my veins, into my blood. I love to be out there and playing.

For me, this tournament especially was probably the motivation for myself, probably my heart that keeps the blood flow, you know. Like all the goals and all the dreams that I have to come out here and play well.

Do you have any regrets about your career?

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: No. I guess I had the toughest moment, but that's, I think, part of life, too. As tennis is, it's going to be ‑‑ sooner or later it's going to finish for me. I don't know, Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, everybody, one day it's going to stop.

Basically I'm lucky I'm ‑‑ I could understand that, you know, in my career things not happen, probably in two ways. One stage of my career was very successful, and I was able to get all the goals that I could. Then the second part was really tough.

But in the same way, as I said, for me it was important to live these years, to grow as a person, to understand what it's, what is the ‑‑ to have other things to deal.

So I guess like that, for me, there's no regrets at all. Just big knowledge, like I said, I could get over this 10, 15 years.

What is your best memories here at Roland Garros?

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: I had so many. Probably of course the one I did the heart in the first match. The most intense one. And probably today it's going to be the second, you know, the one that's going to stick with me, also, more often.

But I had a great time here playing over the years, one after the other. Always being successful, I always had some emotion going on. Good connection with the crowd, too.

So this particular tournament is really like home for me. I feel myself so comfortable. Every time I get very anxious. And like I said, I'm really excited just to be out here and playing.

Maybe you are the first guy in history that you lose a match and receive a trophy. What do you think about that?

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: No. When I lose in the final I have a trophy, too, sometimes (laughter.)

But I get ‑‑ it was a great memory for me, and I didn't expect. I received not only the trophy but nice words, too, from the president, you know. He thanked me for everything that I could agree for the tournament, the way I play, and then the joy that the people have, watch my play.

So for me, that's great. I guess goes over my expectations. It's not only the way I'm playing and how I hit the ball, but also the way I face the game, I think, was very important. And to be out there today playing against a French player and having more support than him is not usual at all.

So for me, it was, like I said, a great day for me. I just have to be very honored for ‑‑ for today and everything that really happened for me, especially here.

What do you think you will miss the most in tennis?

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: I guess these days before the competition. The match itself, once you are there, the part that you can, you know, live the joy of playing breakpoints, set points, you know, playing ‑‑ having these feelings that I think only the sports can bring it over.

But I guess I had my time, too. I really been very intense for the time that I was around, so this ‑‑ I'm not going to have it anymore, but I think I'm not going to miss that much. I really feel as I had my job done.

For now, maybe I find another way to feel myself as happy as I was playing tennis.

So now it's time for party?

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: No, I'm very serious man, you know. Brazil, we don't like parties. (laughter.)

No, it's time probably to have more priorities for my personal life, too. Get myself more structure, you know, have time off to think about it, to rest a little bit.

Like I said, my life, you know, becomes something very huge ‑‑ it takes a lot of effort to deal day by day, especially in Brazil, you know. I'm really a big icon in Brazil. Every day they come to me and look as a different person.

That's probably now an adaptation that I have to do. See what's going to get myself interesting in the future. Probably rest for a little bit, but also I like to be active doing something. So maybe around tennis and my foundation I will find nice things to do.

It was hard for some of us to hear your speech on the court. Can you just tell us what the most important part of those words was?

GUSTAVO KUERTEN: I know why it was hard, because my French is terrible. (laughter.)

No, I try just to say first that for me was really important that the feeling and the success I had here in my three wins over these times.

But what feels even more important, and the real meaning for me, that today even I had another great example. The love that people treat me here, the way I could get them involved with my game and with myself.

This, I think, was the highest victory for me. And then the other thing that I said was just about how I said, Now it's about tennis. That means, you know, this part of my life was really intense and like my blood. I live this very intense.

This tournament was the most special and most motivation ‑‑ motivate tournament that keeps me going, like my love, my heart, and everything. So that was basically two things that I tried to say in French, but I think nobody understand me. (laughter.)

Source: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2008-05-25/200805251211745420859.html

Sunset of Age
05-25-2008, 11:03 PM

:yeah:

Fantastic guy, friendly fellow. He'll indeed be missed.
I wish him all the best for his upcoming life, hopefully with not too much pain... :hug:

Martin
05-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Thank you Guga, a true legend of the game :worship:

I just hope he doesn't have to live his life in too much pain and that he enjoys his retirement. A great player on the court but more importantly a great guy off it.

FedFan_2007
05-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Hey Karin, my banning ended!

Albop
05-26-2008, 12:07 AM
^^^^

you were banned??

:spit:

thrust
05-26-2008, 12:13 AM

Gustavo could never be undignified, even IF he tried! Guga was one of the true Gentlemen of tennis, with a beautiful game and personality. He also was one of the greatest clay court players of his time. Wish there were more players like him today!

Kitty de Sade
05-26-2008, 12:36 AM
Wonderful scene out there for such a great guy. Congrats to Guga, and the very best of luck as he enters a new phase of life. Class act, from beginning to end, and a real priviledge to watch it all. :)

NYCtennisfan
05-26-2008, 12:42 AM
Good luck in your new life champ. Good to see him go out striking the ball reasonably well. He's always had a great serve on clay (and other surfaces) and showed us glimpses of that today.

RonE
05-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Guga :hug:

All the best to you. The fact that he made clay court tennis enjoyable for me already speaks volumes about the man :worship:

Such a shame those hip problems hindered him so much in his carreer :sad:

Lee
05-26-2008, 01:32 AM
Guga :hug:

All the best to you. The fact that he made clay court tennis enjoyable for me already speaks volumes about the man :worship:

Such a shame those hip problems hindered him so much in his carreer :sad:

The highest praise I hear on MTF for Guga :p

DeuX.cl
05-26-2008, 01:41 AM
We'll miss you Guga!

guga2120
05-26-2008, 01:41 AM
Such an emotional match, to see Gustavo in pain and still trying to play. He is one of the all time greats in the history of tennis on clay, and will not be forgotten.

alelysafina
05-26-2008, 03:05 AM
:sobbing:

TMJordan
05-26-2008, 03:11 AM
Take care Guga :hug:

Mimi
05-26-2008, 04:33 AM
:sad:

Knightmace
05-26-2008, 04:49 AM
Guga you will be missed! :):):):):):):):):):)

Jelena
05-26-2008, 06:46 AM
Thank you Guga, a true legend of the game :worship:

I just hope he doesn't have to live his life in too much pain and that he enjoys his retirement. A great player on the court but more importantly a great guy off it.
Exactly this thought brought me to the opinion that he should retire immediately already three years ago. He's far too young to live the rest of his life with constant pains, but unfortunately I fear that is the thing he will have to face now.

Turquoise
05-26-2008, 06:52 AM
Thank you Guga for the beautiful memories and the incomparable smile. Don't ever lose that "joie-de-vivre" spirit as you embark a new journey in your life. You're a tennis legend in my eyes, an exemplary sportsman of the highest order. All the best for the future.

juvvi
05-26-2008, 08:40 AM
The swansong, although four years late, had the perfect setting. An opponent who plays great in 20 min bursts, and can spare Kuerten the pain of having to play 5 sets to lose this match, and near full French Open crowd that was present to give this man a fitting send-off.

The match had everything, a mexican wave, ‘GUGA’ chants, two conceded aces, a shirt that reminded one of ‘97, grunts that got deeper with every passing game, Kuerten speaking in cute French at the end and most unexpectedly great tennis.

30 winners, of which 17 were from Kuerten. The magical backhand was still on painting the lines, except not 10 out of 10 times.

The man who made clay court tennis enjoyable and who still has the chance to end up as the greatest clay courter of the last two decades decided he won’t try anymore.

Thankfully, none of the self-obsessed american pricks like McEnroe and Courier were allowed anywhere near Kuerten with a mic on the court. Result - no comment by Kuerten on Rafa or Roger or whoever the fuck.

Since I have to bring in Federer into this post, let’s say Federer can learn two things from this great Brazilian. One, how to hit a backhand when the ball jumps on you, and, two, how to cry like a man.

p.s. Mathieu, the last man to beat Sampras, said that he allowed Kuerten to enjoy his last game. Thank you for that, Mathieu. I know you didn’t extend this favour to Sampras. Thank you for that too. The match was just perfect.

Chiseller
05-26-2008, 08:47 AM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=124199

juvvi
05-26-2008, 08:49 AM
Ok please merge this post, dear admin.

trixtah
05-26-2008, 08:50 AM
:sad::worship::bigcry:

Chiseller
05-26-2008, 09:05 AM
BaUDFE8hxs4

trixtah
05-26-2008, 09:15 AM
BaUDFE8hxs4

hehehe he goes to choke phm. Class from PHM, too

Rumour
05-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Well done PHM :clap2:
So long Guga :hatoff:

Hagar
05-26-2008, 09:39 AM
It was really sweet. But also very sad. It was good that Guga could still show some glimpses of his incredible talent. I've always loved his fluent service movement. And that backhand, *sigh*. And how light he is on his feet. And his whole attitude, how can one not love him... Going for it but never arrogant.
I think I had not seen him play since that fantastic match against Federer in 2004 but yesterday reminded me of how much I have loved to watch Guga play.
It's such a shame that injuries wrecked his career, although in a short time, he had fantastic results.

Thank you for everything, Guga.

Allez
05-26-2008, 09:51 AM
Gustavo could never be undignified, even IF he tried! Guga was one of the true Gentlemen of tennis, with a beautiful game and personality. He also was one of the greatest clay court players of his time. Wish there were more players like him today!

Please do not misunderstand me, I never suggested that Guga the person was undignified. God no. The guy is a class act I think we can all attest to that. I wasn't a big fan of his (probably because clay is my least favoured surface), but everyone knows what a free & spontaneous spirit he is. I just didn't want him ending like this that's all. What's the point of going on winning a handful of matches in what 5 years ? That's no way to end a career of a former world number 1. Obviously he felt he had more to give, but when the time is up, it's up. Borg knew it. Sampras knew it. Steffi knew it. Justine knows it.

Guga was great but I'm not saddened by this long overdue retirement. Instead I celebrate the precious memories he's obviously given you lot.
:worship::worship::worship:

Hagar
05-26-2008, 01:54 PM
What's the point of going on winning a handful of matches in what 5 years ? That's no way to end a career of a former world number 1. Obviously he felt he had more to give, but when the time is up, it's up. Borg knew it. Sampras knew it. Steffi knew it. Justine knows it.

Guga wanted to come back to tennis because he knew that if it wasn't for his aching body, he still had a lot of great tennis in him.
As for Justine, I think that there was no reason at all for her to retire now. OK, her results were not as in 2007 but it's normal to have a dip after such a strong season. I somehow think that she wanted to copy Kim. I really think she retired way too early.