Need a new tennis racket - upgrade from Head Liquidmetal [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Need a new tennis racket - upgrade from Head Liquidmetal

niko-time
05-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Now, I have broken my head liquid metal instinct and have been playing with it for the past month, putting off upgrading due to money, but the frame is completely busted and its sent my playing ability down the drain :)

I loved that racket, had it for 2-3 years, and want something with a similar feel. The tennis I play is quite fast paced and I like to get into the net, staying at the baseline often bores me :devil:

Price range is £100-£150, but I also love buying used off eBay/forums so yeh.

What should I go for?

Thanks in advance

jazar
05-25-2008, 07:48 AM
if you like the instinct, then try the microgel extreme which is pretty similar spec wise and will also give you a little more power due to its frame shape and stiffness. its a pretty evenly balanced racket so it will be good for playing attacking tennis. and i believe it costs £130.

each other manufacturer will have similar frames to the microgel extreme, so its worth demoing a few before you commit to buying

niko-time
05-25-2008, 10:40 AM
That does sounds nice, after reading a bit up on it, and for £104 online its right up my price level. Just to double check, http://www.tennisnuts.com/ishop/677/shopscr5311.html is the correct racket?

EDIT: I have noticed that that is the pro variant. After reading http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/HMGXP/HMGXPReview.html I am unsure which one of the two to pick? My local tennis centre shop that allows demos doesn't have either in stock so trying them out is tricky

jazar
05-25-2008, 07:30 PM
the extreme pro is heavier and more head light, hence it is a more controlled frame. the standard extreme is almost exactly the same specs as your current lm instinct.

there may be other shops i know of you can demo from. where exactly are you?

niko-time
05-25-2008, 08:44 PM
LE12 5PF is my post code, 20 minutes away from nottingham. My club is David Lloyd which is in West Bridgeford

jazar
05-25-2008, 09:00 PM
in that case i have no idea. i only know the shops in the south east, which happens to be the vast majority of tennis shops in the UK

niko-time
05-25-2008, 10:20 PM
Do you know of any online shops in the UK that offer a demoing service? I have contacted the shop I linked but won't get a reply till Tuesday minimum

jazar
05-26-2008, 08:06 AM
i think pwp might, but i'm not 100% sure

niko-time
05-26-2008, 01:43 PM
Well, I just took a gamble and ordered the Extreme from tennisnuts. Thanks for all your help jazar

niko-time
05-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Played with it for the first time today. I have to say, it is a really great racket. It took me very little time at all to get used to it and I am actually noticing hitting much better shots, more power and spin. I have been playing with a broken racket for 2 months admittedly...but regardless, it has increased my game and I thank you for that :)

dukefan282
07-02-2008, 03:25 PM
try the microgel instinct. I just got one and I love it.