Worthless RG Mens Seeds report [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Worthless RG Mens Seeds report

TheBoiledEgg
05-23-2008, 05:33 PM
French Open men's seed report

SI.com's Jon Wertheim breaks down the men's and women's (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/jon_wertheim/05/23/french.women/index.html) seeds at the French Open. Read on for the top first-round matchups, dark horses to keep an eye on and his predicted winners.
Top 16 seeds

1. Roger Federer: Wish the Fed Express had a bit more momentum heading into Paris. If Rafael Nadal is upset -- or more likely, less than 100 percent physically -- this could be interesting. But otherwise, even with a new clay-minded coach, it's hard to see the Fed finally breaking Le Curse, Roland Garros. Lucky to be in the opposite half from Novak Djokovic, but we have a bad feeling about David Ferrer in the semis.
2. Rafael Nadal: Couldn't they just make him the top seed? King of Clay seems a tad vulnerable, what with blisters and Djokovic in his half. But still, how do you bet against a three-time defending champ (Unless, of course, it's Justine Henin!) Provided he stays healthy -- and a cushy early draw will help the odds -- his fourth title looks likely.
3. Novak Djokovic: The third member of The Triad has a real shot to win back-to-back Slams. He won in Rome -- granted, not the toughest draw -- and pushed Nadal in Hamburg. Probably jumps ahead of Federer as the second-most likely contender.
4. Nikolay Davydenko: The guy is a former semifinalist and did win in Miami. But, like the Karma Chameleon, he comes and goes. And one senses he's still not ready to take on the Big Three in a meaningful way. Plus he has a tough start against veteran Thomas Johansson and then, likely, Marat Safin.
5. David Ferrer: Spanish grinder is always a threat, particularly on clay. He has legs of steel and is content to grind for four hours. But he still needs to prove himself against the Big Three.
6. David Nalbandian: Where's the guy who beat each of the Big Three last fall? Without much explanation, we haven't heard hide nor (shoulder-length) hair from him since.
7. James Blake: He did beat Nicolás Almagro on the dirt last year and he doesn't have much room to complain about his draw. Still, it will be a triumph if he's around by the middle weekend.
8. Richard Gasquet: On the plus side, he has a new coach. But it's hard to imagine a player in more dire straits. Not to be voyeuristic, but one wonders whether he'll be booed off the court in the event of a loss.
9. Stanislas Wawrinka: The "other Swiss" is quietly climbing the rope ladder, the newest member of the top ten. Hot as he is, one has a feeling he might lose his first match to Phil Kohlschreiber. If not, he still sees Federer in the round of 16.
10. Andy Murray: Brit needs some traction in what's been an unremarkable year to date. His confidence is somewhere south of Patagonia and it's unlikely to improve soon, not with his tricky draw. Even his first rounder against French prospect Jonathan Eysseric is potentially dangerous.
11. Tomas Berdych: The Czech is starting to make Fernando González look like a beacon of consistency. He's in an interesting pocket of the draw, though.
12. Tommy Robredo: The Spanish vet is always capable of springing the upset, but he tends to underachieve at Slams. Good first-rounder against former finalist Willie Coria.
13. Juan Mónaco: "The Principality" is a player to watch, especially on clay. One wishes he didn't have to start off against Robin Söderling.
14. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga: A back injury has prevented him from building on his success in Australia. But he looked good in a recent tune-up and he's sure to be a fan favorite.
15. Mikhail Youzhny: When you write him off, he dazzles. When you expect greatness, he fizzles. Best case scenario: he lives up to his seeding. Then Nadal looms.
16. Carlos Moyà: A decade after his triumph at Roland Garros, the Spanish vet is still out there. Alas, he's in Djokovic's pocket of the draw.
Seeds 17-32

19: Nicolás Almagro: Yet to prove he's a Big Match player. But might be among the five best pure clay-courters in the world.
21: Radek Stepanek: Recent run includes a gutsy win over Federer.
23: Juan Carlos Ferrero: The champ five years ago, he no longer wins majors, but he sure can play spoiler.
24: Fernando González: Provided he's recovered from the Hofbrauhaus exploits (http://greattennisphotos.blogspot.com/2008/04/monflis-gonales-have-stein-time-in.html), Chilean is -- as ever -- capable of terrific highs and lows.
29: Guillermo Cañas: Has disappeared lately but usually brings his best game to Paris.
31: Andreas Seppi: Italian has a smooth game and has played well of late.
Dark-horse nation

Robin Söderling: Swede with attitude is a top-20 player whose ranking is badly compromised by injury.
Philipp Kohlschreiber: If he beats Wawrinka early, the draws opens up.
Marat Safin: Old friend has showed some signs of life of late.
Juan Martín del Potro: He's a top 10 player trapped in a top 40 ranking.
First-round matches to watch

Wawrinka-Kohlschreiber: This has five-setter written all over it.
Mónaco-Söderling: Two strong, feisty players.
Gustavo Kuerten-Paul-Henri Mathieu: Not because Kuerten will win, but because it will mark your last chance to see a legend.
Arnaud Clement-Gaël Monfils: French overachiever versus French underachiever.
Robredo-Coria: Potentially a strong "I'm back" statement for Coria.
Blue-plate upset special: Coria over Robredo.
Over-under on withdrawals/retirements: 10
Doubles winners

Bob and Mike Bryan: Surprisingly strong clay-courters.
Semifinals

Federer-Ferrer
Nadal-Djokovic
Final

Ferrer-Nadal
Champion

Nadal

Sunset of Age
05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
we have a bad feeling about David Ferrer in the semis

:haha: :haha: :haha: yeah sure Mr. Wertheim. :smash:

Beforehand
05-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Wawrinka can't meet Federer until the quarterfinal. Smooth reading of the draw by Wertheim.

Roland9
05-23-2008, 05:37 PM
Wawrinka can't meet Federer until the quarterfinal. Smooth reading of the draw by Wertheim.

I was about to post the same thing. :lol:

Manon
05-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Semifinals

Federer-Ferrer
Nadal-Djokovic
Final

Ferrer-Nadal
Champion

Nadal

That would be OK. I can't complain.

Tzar
05-23-2008, 05:40 PM
calling Clement an overachiever
:aplot:

Greenday
05-23-2008, 05:44 PM
If federer reaches to semis.....he isn't losing to anyone from tht section....esp not ferrer..davydenko might be a tougher test.....his toughest match might be from the wawrinka-philip-andreev section

tangerine_dream
05-23-2008, 05:49 PM
The real Blue-plate upset special: Wertheim not putting Monfils anywhere in his upsets/dark horse/semifinal/win columns.

dam0dred
05-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah because Ferrer has had an amazing clay court season.... oh wait.

Jon gets worse every year.

Beforehand
05-23-2008, 05:53 PM
:spit:

EDIT: This was to Tangy.

camnation
05-23-2008, 05:55 PM
Worthless enough to post it in its entirety on MTF. :yeah:

LoveKim
05-23-2008, 05:56 PM
but we have a bad feeling about David Ferrer in the semis.

Yeah, Ferrer not going to be in to the semis. Do I understand this correctly?
3. Novak Djokovic: .........Probably jumps ahead of Federer as the second-most likely contender.
Wow, that's logical, another great statement.:worship: After beating Nadal Fed becomes nothing for him.

Clay Death
05-23-2008, 05:59 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: yeah sure Mr. Wertheim. :smash:

still a die hard practitioner of that dismal science called "fangirlismology".

never changes. what part of that sentence do you not understand. they are all saying the same thing. Djokovic is a much bigger threat now that Fed on damn near any surface.

he has jumed ahead of Fed. nobody can rule forever. it has to end sometime. it is happening this year before your very eyes.

he is just very lucky not to be facing Djokovic in the semis. he knows this.

Sunset of Age
05-23-2008, 06:03 PM

never changes. what part of that sentence do you not understand. they are all saying the same thing. Djokovic is a much bigger threat now that Fed on damn near any surface.

That quote concerns FERRER, you silly. Nothing to do with Djoko.

Clay Death
05-23-2008, 06:04 PM
That quote concerns FERRER, you silly. Nothing to do with Djoko.

sure it does. and its mr. silly to you.

i am just messing with you. you know that.

Or Levy
05-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Ferrer over Federer? In best of five? When Ferrer hasn't done much this clay season? And never beaten Roger before?

Sorry, I don't see it.

Clay Death
05-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Ferrer over Federer? In best of five? When Ferrer hasn't done much this clay season? And never beaten Roger before?

Sorry, I don't see it.

Ferru has no weapons to speak of except his speed and movement. it will be of no use against Fed. watching Ferru go out early in Monte Carlo and Rome tells me that he does not have the form that i thought he might have and need to contest Fed.

jazar
05-23-2008, 06:23 PM
worthless really likes to live up to that name

kinglear
05-23-2008, 06:26 PM
I actually picked Jonathan Eysseric to upset Murray in the first round and to make it all the way to the third round before falling to Amalgro.

I think Federer will be upset by Ancic. Nadal will beat Ferrer in the final.

nobama
05-23-2008, 06:28 PM
I think Federer will be upset by Ancic. Nadal will beat Djokovic in the final.:scratch: Um, Nadal and Djokovic are in the same half...

Alex999
05-23-2008, 06:29 PM
I actually picked Jonathan Eysseric to upset Murray in the first round and to make it all the way to the third round before falling to Amalgro.

I think Federer will be upset by Ancic. Nadal will beat Djokovic in the final.
That's not possible, look at the draw :).

Voo de Mar
05-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Hihihihi.

iriraz
05-23-2008, 06:42 PM

I think Federer will be upset by Ancic. Nadal will beat Ferrer in the final.

Ancic would have a better shot if the play at Wimbledon.He`s not a good claycourter

zicofirol
05-23-2008, 06:48 PM
11. Tomas Berdych: The Czech is starting to make Fernando González look like a beacon of consistency. He's in an interesting pocket of the draw, though.

lmao... true dat! lol

NinaNina19
05-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Blake lost to Karlovic in the first round last year. He beat Almagro in 06.

alfonsojose
05-23-2008, 07:04 PM
Go Falla :D

garad
05-23-2008, 07:08 PM

he has jumed ahead of Fed. nobody can rule forever. it has to end sometime. it is happening this year before your very eyes.

he is just very lucky not to be facing Djokovic in the semis. he knows this.

Why can't you use capitals in the beginning of every sentence? Other than that, you start sounding like a broken record. And a very bad one.

Sofonda Cox
05-23-2008, 07:10 PM
Murray is a worthless seed - he has been since his father ejaculated

Voo de Mar
05-23-2008, 07:12 PM

:haha:

Clay Death
05-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Why can't you use capitals in the beginning of every sentence? Other than that, you start sounding like a broken record. And a very bad one.

no need. this is not a writing contest. as for a broken record, all discussions are repetitive in a way. everything has been said over and over by everybody.

all things in life and nature are characterized by the repititious mechanisms of the universe.

Pigsarestupid
05-23-2008, 07:15 PM

:eek: :lol: One of the funniest shit I have ever heard.

kinglear
05-23-2008, 08:05 PM
That's not possible, look at the draw :).

Yeah I messed up with my typing. I meant to say Nadal will defeat Djokovic in the semis and Nadal will defeat Ferrer in the final. :)

GlennMirnyi
05-23-2008, 08:57 PM
You know when someone knows shit about tennis when they say Faker is more likely to win than Federer and when they write just one line about Stepanek, the guy who just beat the second best claycourter in the moment in Federer.

David Kenzie
05-23-2008, 09:00 PM

but we have a bad feeling about [B]David Ferrer in the semis.

I stopped reading here lol. Not that Ferrer has no chance against Roger but you can't call it a bad draw.

ChinoRios4Ever
05-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Pics beating Fed in a GS SF? oooohhh come on!!! :haha::haha::haha::haha:

morningglory
05-23-2008, 10:20 PM
FErrer def Federer? :spit:
Not in 2347238947238472782378327492374932748327493274932 million years :spit:

krystlel
05-24-2008, 01:04 AM
So many dodgy parts.

4. Nikolay Davydenko: The guy is a former semifinalist and did win in Miami. But, like the Karma Chameleon, he comes and goes. And one senses he's still not ready to take on the Big Three in a meaningful way. Plus he has a tough start against veteran Thomas Johansson and then, likely, Marat Safin.
:spit: Johansson is one of the easiest draws you can get.

10. Andy Murray: Brit needs some traction in what's been an unremarkable year to date. His confidence is somewhere south of Patagonia and it's unlikely to improve soon, not with his tricky draw. Even his first rounder against French prospect Jonathan Eysseric is potentially dangerous.
:confused:

Dark-horse nation

Juan Martín del Potro: He's a top 10 player trapped in a top 40 ranking.
:lol: Not at all, and I think he is top 80 at the moment.

Blue-plate upset special:Coria over Robredo.
Absolutely not, no chance at all and the fact that this is a big tournament with a bigger crowd will probably make it even less likely.

Ferrer-Nadal
Champion
Ferrer is quite hopeless against Federer matchup wise.

its.like.that
05-24-2008, 02:49 AM
Nikolay Davydenko: [...] he has a tough start against veteran Thomas Johansson

:cuckoo:

Merton
05-24-2008, 02:54 AM
Ferrer is not a serious threat to Federer unless Roger comes with 20 hours of match play or a 5-set quarterfinal played the day before due to rain delays. Strictly a matchup issue.

its.like.that
05-24-2008, 02:58 AM
Worthless enough to post it in its entirety on MTF. :yeah:

Worthless is in reference to the author's nickname, it is not being used in a qualificative sense.

Clay Death
05-24-2008, 03:24 AM
Ferrer is not a serious threat to Federer unless Roger comes with 20 hours of match play or a 5-set quarterfinal played the day before due to rain delays. Strictly a matchup issue.

i dont know what happened to Ferru`s form. he lost it in a hurry. the only way he can hurt Fed now is if he can just extend him for a while by taking a set somehow. its possible. Robredo took a set from him last year.

he can perhaps tire him a bit but that is about it. it will be a mother of all upsets if he gets by him.

Fed is already counting his chickens. its just that easy a draw for him.

krystlel
05-24-2008, 08:03 AM
Matt Cronin's description of Robredo in his French Open preview:
Robredo hasn't shown a lot of heart, but does have flair.
http://www.tennisreporters.net/roland_garros_men_052308.html

:confused: This doesn't look like a description of Robredo. :lol: Robredo has shown more heart than the majority of the players in the recent clay season. I thought he showed plenty against Davydenko and Roddick in Rome (he doesn't have to win to show it) and against Kohlschreiber in Hamburg.

FiBeR
05-24-2008, 08:11 AM
Mónaco-Söderling: Two strong, feisty players.

This is the real Davis Cup tie that should have been played in Buenos Aires

:bigclap:

i hope to see Pico in form taking down in 5 gruelling sets the Toad :p

Action Jackson
05-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Living up to his name.

leng jai
05-24-2008, 08:23 AM
Del Pony a top 10 player my ass :haha: :haha:

Beat
05-24-2008, 09:17 AM

:lol: oh dear ...

his writing style is really bad anyway.

Beforehand
06-02-2008, 07:03 PM
The real Blue-plate upset special: Wertheim not putting Monfils anywhere in his upsets/dark horse/semifinal/win columns.

:haha:

....what?

:o

Pigsarestupid
06-04-2008, 05:48 PM

:lol: Now we know who was jinxing Monfils career all these years...

DrJules
06-04-2008, 06:33 PM
but has he correctly picked the winner?

dylan24
06-04-2008, 06:35 PM
ferrer in the final..nice pick douchebag

dam0dred
06-04-2008, 06:38 PM
but has he correctly picked the winner?

Yeah it takes a real genius to pick Nadal to win the French Open.

marcRD
06-04-2008, 09:51 PM
Yeah it takes a real genius to pick Nadal to win the French Open.

Tell that to Bud Collins. :)

Sunset of Age
06-04-2008, 09:57 PM
What a fantastic trainwreck of a prediction that has become. I hope Mr. Worthless is now hiding in his cellar in shame, and not coming out of it before some 80% of these players have already retired.

GlennMirnyi
06-04-2008, 10:04 PM

We all know who's the underachiever and that's Clement.

Merton
06-04-2008, 10:07 PM
My great great grandmother contacted through a medium would predict Nadal, Federer and Djokovic making the semis, so any prediction has to be judged against the fourth semifinalist. I love the irony of Worthless missing the mark just when Monfils makes it, when he was consistently on top of the Monfils bandwagon in the past.

dam0dred
06-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Tell that to Bud Collins. :)

Well I suppose it does require not being retarded.

G4.
06-04-2008, 11:22 PM

We all know who's the underachiever and that's Clement.

both are gash

CyBorg
06-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Pure formula. The only readable stuff by Wertheim are the 50 thoughts post-major. There are usually 2 or 3 amusing things.

LaTenista
06-05-2008, 03:12 AM
:lol: Now we know who was jinxing Monfils career all these years...

:rolls: I wonder if Gael can sue for all the price money Worthless cost him.