How Different Would Tennis be if Nick Bollettieri never started his academy? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How Different Would Tennis be if Nick Bollettieri never started his academy?

sheeter
05-23-2008, 03:53 AM
I was wondering how diferent people this tennis would be if Nick Bollettieri never started his academy? Would the style of the agme be different, would s&v be more prevalent, would baseline bashing not be as common, would there be more variety, etc?

Ackms421
05-23-2008, 04:09 AM
I think so. He hasn't enjoyed as much success in recent years as he did in the early nineties with Seles, Agassi, Courier, and Pierce (I'm sure there is someone who I'm missing, was Capriati from Nick's?), but I think he's had a definite impact on the game. He's acknowledged such on several occasions.

Not sure if you can define exactly what would be different, but I believe the tour (both) would be a little more apt in the volley department if you know what I mean, and I've often wondered myself how much he's really skewed the sport...

Nathaliia
05-23-2008, 04:14 AM
If it wasn't him, someone else would have started Academy of Ballbashing. That idea was too simple to be not invented.

leng jai
05-23-2008, 04:15 AM
Ironic that his lovechild is Tommy Haas who typically doesn't play the type of game promoted by his academy.

Clay Death
05-23-2008, 04:18 AM
If it wasn't him, someone else would have started Academy of Ballbashing. That idea was too simple to be not invented.

spot on Nathaliia. that said, he did admit just before the last French Open that he needed to train players on clay as well so they could be more well-rounded.

true to his word, he has installed clay courts at his academy and the students are required to spend thime on clay on weekly basis. i guess you can teach the old dog a few new tricks.

sheeter
05-23-2008, 04:43 AM
He did promote the Jimmy Arias forehand though. That revolutionized the forehand, and I would consider it a good thing.

jazar
05-23-2008, 10:22 AM
would s&v be more prevalent, would baseline bashing not be as common, would there be more variety, etc?

i hardly think bollettieri is responsible for the demise of serve volleying and variety

Burrow
05-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Basically you are saying nick bollettieri is the only coach in the world...

MacTheKnife
05-23-2008, 01:16 PM
INot sure if you can define exactly what would be different, but I believe the tour (both) would be a little more apt in the volley department if you know what I mean, and I've often wondered myself how much he's really skewed the sport...

I agree with this completely. I've never been a really big fan fan of his even though I know he's done a lot for the game. I've just always felt like his teachings were a little to robotic and took something away from the natural talents of some of his students. I know what I'm trying to say, just not sure how to say it.

FluffyYellowBall
05-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Besides some old successes, we wouldnt have a number of ball bashers in the WTA like Vaidisova and Sharapova.:rolleyes: Its hard enough to accept ball bashing on the ATP

sheeter
05-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Basically you are saying nick bollettieri is the only coach in the world...

No, but many would say that Bollettieri has a had a big impact on the game.