Nadal attains Borgian Status on clay. Winner of 4 consecutive RGs!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal attains Borgian Status on clay. Winner of 4 consecutive RGs!!!

Pages : [1] 2

tennizen
05-18-2008, 07:41 PM
Well done Rafa!

Getta
05-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Metis, my prediction: Winner.

hra87
05-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Winner.

And I thought the g in borgian was pronounced j then I realized it was BORGian.

tennizen
05-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Winner.

And I thought the g in borgian was pronounced j then I realized it was BORGian.

Do you think I should edit it:lol:

spriwi
05-18-2008, 08:05 PM
winner :)

hope he goes to mallorca asap and recharges his batteries for 7 3-setters :)

yana
05-18-2008, 08:37 PM
I think SF this time. :sad:

Rafitito, prove me wrong!

raven gypsy
05-18-2008, 09:13 PM
winner :)

hope he goes to mallorca asap and recharges his batteries for 7 3-setters :)

Agreed that he needs to go fishing, see the family and friends, and go to the cinema -- Perhaps Iron Man ;).

Now for MIT, repeat after me:

I will not underestimate Rafa again.

I'll write this 100 more times :angel:

Metis, I'm going for the big, cry inducing, clay rolling, Borg matching

W :)

(Please note there can be no jinxes drawn from this thread. I promise)

Getta
05-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Agreed that he needs to go fishing, see the family and friends, and go to the cinema -- Perhaps Iron Man ;).

He also needs to play golf.

GuiroNl
05-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Anything worse than this and I will be utterly destroyed

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?prevtrnnum=520&year=1978&query=Singles&selTournament=520&player=B058&x=12&y=9

hra87
05-18-2008, 09:34 PM

http://www.atptennis.com/5/en/players/playerprofiles/playeractivity.asp?prevtrnnum=520&year=1978&query=Singles&selTournament=520&player=B058&x=12&y=9

Mug Era.

Getta
05-18-2008, 09:41 PM
Vilas was not bad. :)

Metis
05-18-2008, 10:24 PM
Clay season 2008 is coming to its end with Roland Garros. 200 points at stake this time :hearts:

How far will Rafa go in Roland Garros? (200 :eek: points at stake)

1st –
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF -
SF - yana, Metis
F -
W- Blaze-2004, elessar, Foxy, Getta, GuiroNl, hra87, Luvyoyoma1954, M.C., NaDALiTa, nashty, rafa_maniac, raven_gypsy, scarecrows, spriwi

MIT standings after Hamburg:

GuiroNl __________360
nashty___________360
Xoman___________360

cmurray _________ 300

Blaze-2004 _______260
Denisse __________260
Foxy ____________260
Getta____________260
hra87 ___________260
MariaV___________260
NaDaLiTa_________260
raven_gypsy______ 260
The Pro __________260
Tnn74 ___________260

scarecrows _______200
tangerine_dream ___200
Xristos___________200

platinum _________160

acionescu_________100
elessar___________100
Heavenseventeen___100
M.C._____________100
Luvyoyoma1954 ___100
spriwi ___________100
tennischeto _______100
tennizen__________100
TMJordan_________100

Agassi Fan_________60

:lol: I see even Borg's ATP photo is awful :tape:

l_mac
05-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Thread title change please! :scared: The last time I (unwisely) gave a positive thread name he tanked 1st match :mad:

I will wait until the draw to give my prediction :D

But it won't be Winner.

Xoman
05-19-2008, 12:36 AM
No need to wait for the draw ... Please, Metis, put me down for the win. Besides from Thursday I shall be traveling not returning after Nadal has finished his first RG match. The crystal ball is clear on this prediction and I don't want to miss 200 MIT points :-)
Hopefully, Djoker will fall in Federer's side of the draw and he will help Nadal get closer to #1

Johnny Groove
05-19-2008, 02:39 AM
Obvious winner

tennizen
05-19-2008, 02:45 AM
Thread title change please! :scared: The last time I (unwisely) gave a positive thread name he tanked 1st match :mad:

Linda, I didn't exactly think the title was positive. He is definitely trying to equal Borg's record though. I can change the title to "Time to attempt attaining Borgian status on Clay" if that makes you feel better:rolls:

elessar
05-19-2008, 02:50 AM
Linda, I didn't exactly think the title was positive. He is definitely trying to equal Borg's record though. I can change the title to "Time to attempt attaining Borgian status on Clay" if that makes you feel better:rolls:

Nooooo, make it "time to fail to attain Borgian status on clay" that'll please her more :D Ridiculous thread title as it is now :( I'll inform George ASAP of your fangirlism delusion that Rafa is as good as Borg so he can come here and explain to you all exactly why he isn't :drool:

:bolt:

EDIT : Just saw Metis let me join the MIT :banana: Rafa for the win :rocker2:

tennizen
05-19-2008, 02:53 AM
Nooooo, make it "time to fail to attain Borgian status on clay" that'll please her more :D Ridiculous thread title as it is now :( I'll inform George ASAP of your fangirlism delusion that Rafa is as good as Borg so he can come here and explain to you all exactly why he isn't :drool:

EDIT : Just saw Metis let me join the MIT :banana: Rafa for the win :rocker2:

:lol: I am afraid that's as far as I can go to please Linda much as I adore her:rolls:. As for the thread title I was waiting for some Borgtard to come and tell me Rafa will never be as great as Borg on clay:rolls:. It turned out to be a Fedtard instead:rolls: :secret: Do you think GWH will participate in MIT if I lure him in with this title.

Metis
05-19-2008, 03:48 AM
:lol: I am afraid that's as far as I can go to please Linda much as I adore her:rolls:. As for the thread title I was waiting for some Borgtard to come and tell me Rafa will never be as great as Borg on clay:rolls:. It turned out to be a Fedtard instead:rolls: :secret: Do you think GWH will participate in MIT if I lure him in with this title.

:secret: tell him that the trophy is a t-shirt with shirtless Rafa vamosing and 'Clay GOAT' written underneath. That should get him begging to participate. :)

hra87
05-19-2008, 05:18 AM
No need to wait for the draw ... Please, Metis, put me down for the win. Besides from Thursday I shall be traveling not returning after Nadal has finished his first RG match. The crystal ball is clear on this prediction and I don't want to miss 200 MIT points :-)
Hopefully, Djoker will fall in Federer's side of the draw and he will help Nadal get closer to #1

Haven't been keeping track of the rankings, eh?

We want Djokovic on Rafa's side so we can make sure he's as far away from #2 as possible.

hra87
05-19-2008, 05:19 AM

BORG

Foxy
05-19-2008, 07:35 AM
Put me again for the WIN, Metis. I smell bagels...

the_natural
05-19-2008, 08:57 AM

We want Djokovic on Rafa's side so we can make sure he's as far away from #2 as possible.

Nah screw that be on the Cheeses' side of the draw so that Rafa can get closer to the number 1 ranking!!!

I hate positive threads cos whenever im positive bad crap happens, i never thought it was possible for him to win hamburg with everything going against him especially with the cow lover playing the best tennis on clay since 06 Rome (well it was just mindlessly going for his shots and then rafa makes a few unforced errors with concentration lapses and being a bit underdone cos of the thigh strain), and being worn physically! And then i saw 5-2 and the trainer and i thought yeh thats it hes gonna retire....

And he wins the damn thing.... But i thought Rome was in the bag sooo.... naahhhh Ill be negative

nashty
05-19-2008, 09:47 AM
I BELIEVE Rafa can do it! So please put me down for a WIN. Thank you!:)

I hope Rafa will be 100% by RG and sweep them all.
VAMOS RAFA!

scarecrows
05-19-2008, 01:47 PM
W.

rafa_maniac
05-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Win!

Xoman
05-19-2008, 03:50 PM

hra87, I keep track of the rankings alright...
Nadal is #2 in the race, just 11 points behind Djokovic and he is #2 in the rankings, 360 points in front of Djokovic.
By virtue of having won Hamburg, Djokovic can go on the other side of the draw at RG and progress to the final if he can. If he does ... That would be great!

(sorry, please don't get offended, breath in, relax and read on)

Nadal beats him on the final. Nadal remains #2, although with Djokovic closer behind. Nadal jumps to #1 in the race and Nadal cuts Federer's lead in the rankings by at least 250 points ... Which greatly improves Nadal chances of attaining #1 at the rankings later on in the season (during or after the US open I hope).
Notice that if Djokovic had progressed to the final in Hamburg or Nadal had not won that final, then that Scenario would not had been desirable (by me and you) as Djokovic progressing to the final of RG would had deprived Nadal of its #2 ranking even if Nadal wins RG.
Besides, I prefer Djokovic and Federer battling each other and then Nadal beating the "survivor" of such battle than Nadal having to battle with both of them at consecutive matches.

We all want Djokovic behind Nadal, but we want Nadal to become #1 one day, don't we? I know I do ;-)

l_mac
05-19-2008, 04:08 PM

:worship:

Yes, thanks!

I know Rafa probably won't win RG this year :awww: but, if he somehow pulled out the unexpected Win, think of the thread titles we could have next year :bounce:

M.C.
05-19-2008, 04:30 PM
W :sport:

acionescu
05-19-2008, 07:21 PM
I think SF this time. :sad:

Rafitito, prove me wrong!

Oana! :scared: NEVER, EVER PICK SF BEFORE THE DRAW IS OUT WHILE NOLE IS NO.3! It's treason and is gonna be punished as such! :rocker2: Is this good enough, Linda, did I redeem myself?

NaDALiTa
05-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Rafa ain't afraid of Nole especially in RG! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/remake/bb2.gifhttp://www.kolobok.us/smiles/remake/bb2.gif

Metis put me down for a win pls :)

yana
05-19-2008, 08:51 PM
Too many for the W, guys... I'm worried :( :p

Oana! :scared: NEVER, EVER PICK SF BEFORE THE DRAW IS OUT WHILE NOLE IS NO.3! It's treason and is gonna be punished as such! :rocker2: Is this good enough, Linda, did I redeem myself?

GuiroNl
05-19-2008, 09:35 PM

Am I Fedtard :confused:? Or are you talking about somebody else :haha:

elessar
05-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Am I Fedtard :confused:? Or are you talking about somebody else :haha:

She was :lol: Me to be more precise

MariaV
05-19-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm gonna wait with my MIT pick for Roland Garros until Rafa is back from fishing and we know how his thighs and feet are. :o

l_mac
05-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm gonna wait with my MIT pick for Roland Garros until Rafa is back from fishing and we know how his thighs and feet are. :o

His thighs are AWESOME :drool: :drool: :drool:

Luvyoyoma1954@co
05-19-2008, 11:09 PM
winner for RG

hra87
05-19-2008, 11:39 PM
hra87, I keep track of the rankings alright...
Nadal is #2 in the race, just 11 points behind Djokovic and he is #2 in the rankings, 360 points in front of Djokovic.
By virtue of having won Hamburg, Djokovic can go on the other side of the draw at RG and progress to the final if he can. If he does ... That would be great!

(sorry, please don't get offended, breath in, relax and read on)

Nadal beats him on the final. Nadal remains #2, although with Djokovic closer behind. Nadal jumps to #1 in the race and Nadal cuts Federer's lead in the rankings by at least 250 points ... Which greatly improves Nadal chances of attaining #1 at the rankings later on in the season (during or after the US open I hope).
Notice that if Djokovic had progressed to the final in Hamburg or Nadal had not won that final, then that Scenario would not had been desirable (by me and you) as Djokovic progressing to the final of RG would had deprived Nadal of its #2 ranking even if Nadal wins RG.
Besides, I prefer Djokovic and Federer battling each other and then Nadal beating the "survivor" of such battle than Nadal having to battle with both of them at consecutive matches.

We all want Djokovic behind Nadal, but we want Nadal to become #1 one day, don't we? I know I do ;-)

I'm not sure sacrificing #2 in the short-term to get #1 long-term is such a good idea, because the #3 ranking will really hurt Rafa during the hardcourt season, making it really tough for him to get to finals.

l_mac
05-20-2008, 06:40 PM
According to his doctor, Nadal has a tear in right thigh :sad: But with rest and a little treatment he should be fine for RG.

:scared:

Metis
05-20-2008, 08:04 PM
According to his doctor, Nadal has a tear in right thigh :sad: But with rest and a little treatment he should be fine for RG.

:scared:

:yeah:

so you managed to log in after all :p

NaDALiTa
05-20-2008, 10:51 PM
A lot of massages and Rafa will be ready for RG!No fishing,no golf,no football...only playstation :lol:

tangerine_dream
05-21-2008, 05:46 PM
I'm going to wait a bit before I make my pick.

So did you guys see this article? When I saw the headline I thought, "Oooh, it's getting dirty now." *rubs hands in glee* but then I read it and couldn't find any direct quote from Fed saying that Rafa was going to lose. Gotta love how the media stirs up sh*t. http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/mtf/images/icons/icon13.gif

http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=769343
Federer says Nadal will collapse
No1 predicts No2 will fall in France

Published:May 20, 2008

Roger Federer expects Rafael Nadal to wilt under the physical burden of defending his French Open tennis title when the world’s top two players continue their rivalry at Roland Garros in Paris next week.

Federer slumped to his eighth dispiriting defeat on clay to the Spaniard in the Hamburg Masters final on Sunday, the worst possible preparation for the Swiss star as he gears up for another assault on the only grand slam title to elude him.

Nadal has won the last three tournaments in Paris, beating Federer in the 2006 and 2007 finals, and will be defending a perfect 21- match winning record at Roland Garros.

But Nadal had to battle a hamstring strain in the first set of Sunday’s final before going on to depose Federer as Hamburg champion, winning 7-5 6-7(3) 6-2 after nearly three hours.

“I wish I could have won in Hamburg, it would have given me an even better feeling for Roland Garros,” said Federer after his 10th defeat on all surfaces by Nadal.

“But from Rafael’s standpoint, he is perhaps struggling a bit more due to the stress of the last few weeks. I am completely fine and I will be ready for the tournament.”

Nadal suffered blisters after winning the Barcelona final earlier this month against compatriot David Ferrer and could barely run at the Rome Masters where he lost to Juan Carlos Ferrero in the second round.
It was only his second defeat on clay since April 2005.

But he proved his fitness in Hamburg by beating world No3 Novak Djokovic in the semifinal, before recovering from 5-1 down in the first set to beat Federer.

And despite suffering the hamstring problem, the Spaniard said: “I am optimistic of playing Roland Garros, I will have to see how the leg settles down.”

“The final [in Hamburg] was tough for me, especially after the hard semifinal, I felt a bit of pain in my hamstring and it was difficult to concentrate.

“But it helps to beat the world No1 [Federer] and the best player this year [Djokovic].

“The most important was to win Hamburg for the first time, regardless that it was the last event before Roland Garros.”

Metis
05-21-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm going to wait a bit before I make my pick.

So did you guys see this article? When I saw the headline I thought, "Oooh, it's getting dirty now." *rubs hands in glee* but then I read it and couldn't find any direct quote from Fed saying that Rafa was going to lose. Gotta love how the media stirs up sh*t. http://imgsrv2.tennisuniverse.com/mtf/images/icons/icon13.gif

http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=769343
Federer says Nadal will collapse
No1 predicts No2 will fall in France

Great job by the journalist :retard:

It would have been fun though if Federer had actually said that :devil: :p

l_mac
05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
:lol: Yeah, I read that article.

I think they just built a story around Federer's Hamburg presser :worship: :worship:

I probably couldn't have done better. Awesome.

yana
05-21-2008, 09:04 PM
It would have been fun though if Federer had actually said that :devil: :p

Yeah, I actually wish those to be really Feddy's words :D Just imagine...Damn :(

Metis
05-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Yeah, I actually wish those to be really Feddy's words :D Just imagine...Damn :(

The GM thread alone would have reached 500 posts already :D

tangerine_dream
05-21-2008, 10:14 PM
The GM thread alone would have reached 500 posts already :D
I know, right? :lol: Exactly what GM needs, another out-of-control 'tard fanwar. :boxing: RagingLamb would've been working overtime editing every single post.

Thank goodness for Novak. The trash-talking sh*t that comes out of his mouth is for real and not invented by the media. :angel:

MariaV
05-22-2008, 09:02 AM
:lol: @ Tangy!

Uhmmm, I feel pression but I'll make my prediction for the prestigious MIT after the draw tomorrow.

tangerine_dream
05-22-2008, 04:37 PM
http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=131346
Top Heavy: French Open men's preview
By Kamakshi Tandon

For a player so blissfully in his element on this surface, there has been a certain joylessness about Rafael Nadal during his clay campaign this year.

Not from lack of success - as in the previous three years, he has dominated the European spring circuit, defending his titles in Monte Carlo and Barcelona and winning Hamburg for the first time. Even his lone loss in Rome was precipitated by a badly blistered foot.

And yet, when he raised the trophy in Hamburg, marking 108 wins in his past 110 clay matches, his face held nothing except a tremendous weariness.

Perhaps that’s not a complete surprise. Nadal has had to fight hard on court, playing four straight weeks and putting in almost six hours during the last two days of Hamburg alone. “It’s not only the body. Mentally it is tough, too,” he said after the tournament.

He has also been fighting hard off the court. Nadal has repeatedly hammered ATP chief Etienne de Villiers over the decision to shorten the clay season this year, which left him one less week in which to play the same number of events. Together with his fellow Spanish colleagues, he is also embroiled in an increasingly ugly dispute with national federation president Pedro Munoz over the site selection for September’s Davis Cup semifinal against the United States.

Looking ahead to the Paris fortnight that will coincide with his 22nd birthday, Nadal knows that even with a victory he can do no more than fulfill the expectations set for him. “Of course I'll feel nervous,” he said. “I feel nerves with every game but especially in a match at Roland Garros.”

Heavy lies the head that wears the crown.

http://i28.tinypic.com/2pqot46.jpg

THE BIG THREE

Hopefully a couple of days’ rest and a quick trip home to Mallorca will rejuvenate Nadal, because there is also much he should relish about this period. There is the prospect of winning a fourth straight title at Roland Garros and establishing himself practically alongside Bjorn Borg among the clay greats. There’s also the fuel of the current three-way race at the top of the men’s game, with Nadal hustling to stay ahead of the rising Novak Djokovic even as he continues his perennial pursuit of Roger Federer’s No. 1 ranking.

Finally, he is the firm favorite, and for a reason. Nadal has never been beaten on Parisian clay; the surface magnifies the impact of his speed and topspin and the tournament's best-of-five format allows the full brunt of his relentless defence to be wreaked on opponents. It becomes nearly impossible to hit through him the way other players have managed to do on faster hardcourts.

Federer will testify to this. For almost three years, the world’s best player has been the world’s second-best player on clay. His only barrier has been Nadal, who has won seven of their eight encounters on the dirt and all three at Roland Garros. “It is difficult to suppress him with winners,” said the Swiss. “That’s why he is so successful on that surface.”

It’s not like Federer hasn’t had his chances against Nadal during the past few weeks, going up 4-0 in the first set at Monte Carlo and holding a 5-1 and 5-2 leads in the first and second sets at Hamburg, respectively. ”The last two matches were some of the most strange matches between Roger and me,” observed Nadal. “But you know, when you had 16 matches against each other, some have to be strange.”

The reigning king of men's tennis has betrayed self-doubt against Nadal before (in the finals of Rome and Roland Garros in 2006, for example) but must be growing increasingly uneasy about his inability to find the right combination against his rival on clay.

At 26, Federer gives himself a few more years to win the only major still eluding him, but there’s little doubt that the task grows more difficult each year. He enlisted the help of veteran coach and clay expert Jose Higueras last month, and there will be much interest in seeing whether the partnership will make any tangible difference in Paris and beyond.

A bout of mononucleosis and a patchy start triggered speculation about a steep decline at the beginning of the year, though he has managed to subsequently dampen such talk. While some of his old aura has definitely faded, he insists his game has not. ”The more you lose, the more they start to believe they can beat me. But believing is not enough, you still have to beat me,” he said.

The one member of the Big Three who does seem to have been enjoying himself this spring is Novak Djokovic - and why not? He capitalized on his good fortune in Rome, winning the title in a week where two of his opponents retired and both Federer and Nadal lost early. But he also backed it up the following week in Hamburg by pushing Nadal to the limit in a three-hour thriller in the semifinals.

Djokovic planned to swing into Paris midweek. On Tuesday, he made a quick appearance in Europe's annual Eurovision song contest, being hosted by Serbia this year. On Wednesday, he celebrates his 21st birthday. There is no weariness on his face, or in his game.

Though No. 3 in the 52-week rankings, Djokovic leads the year-to-date Race and says his goal is to become No. 1 by the end of the year. He can move up to No. 2 by equalling Nadal’s result at the French Open, but hints his private ambitions are greater than that.

”Sure, Rafa is the number one favourite. Winning three in a row the French Open is a real achievement for such a young guy,” Djokovic told Reuters. “But this year is a quite different situation and it's going to be interesting to see who is going to win it.”

With his naked ambition and outgoing personality, the Serb is proving to be a polarizing figure. Some find him appealing, others off-putting - but all acknowledge he’s added some spice to the amicable atmosphere Federer and Nadal had established at the top of the game.

l_mac
05-22-2008, 05:11 PM
Rafa is in Paris and has already been on the practise courts.

:dance:

He and Ivanovic will take part in the draw at 11.30am CET tomorrow.

Metis
05-22-2008, 05:24 PM
I moved this post here, since it's more relevant than the 'news and articles' thread.

Last year I'm sure they didn't have a really top player (ie not Fed or Nadal) If Rafa requests not to start on Sunday, I am sure they will grant his request.

:armed:

Rafa and Ivanovic will make the draw tomorrow at 11.30 am CET :scared:

Ivanovic? :mad: I'm sure Djoko has appealed to her patriotic feelings to get him a cakewalk draw, but hopefully Rafa's ...charms will prevail :D

I don't remember about last year but in 2006 it was Federer on Sunday and he was pissed off about that. :D

It looks like it might be raining the first 4 days in Paris (60% chance) :rolleyes: :mad:

l_mac
05-22-2008, 07:38 PM
The King is back in town :inlove:

Despite the overcast conditions, the courts were full again on Thursday as players got in some practice sessions out on the clay. The big news was the arrival of Rafael Nadal, with the three-time defending champion on Suzanne Lenglen court in the afternoon under the watchful eye of his Uncle Toni, who is also his coach. Beaten 2007 finalist Ana Ivanovic from Serbia was on Philippe Chatrier, while other big names including Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, David Nalbandian, Richard Gasquet, Maria Sharapova, Amélie Mauresmo and the Williams sisters have already been out on court.

Rafa and Ana get the chauffeur treatment

The draw for the men's and women's singles will take place on Friday 23 May at 11.30 am in the VIP area of Roland Garros (alongside Suzanne Lenglen court). As part of the Roland Garros stadium 80th anniversary celebrations, Rafael Nadal and Ana Ivanovic, who will be carrying out the draw, will be driven from their respective hotels to the stadium in two 1920s Hispano Suisa vehicles which date back to the founding of the complex.
For the women's singles, the non-seeded players will be draw first electronically before defending men's singles champion Nadal pulls the 32 seeds out of the hat. The men's draw will then be carried out in the same way, with Ivanovic, the 2007 women's singles finalist, picking out the 32 seeds.

A reminder that for the first time, the draw will be broadcast live on Eurosport France between 11:30 am – 12:30 pm. The whole draw will also be shown on www.rolandgarros.com, meaning that Internet users from around the world can follow the action.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2008-05-22/200805221211463014109.html

Stupid weather :mad:

Eden
05-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Legends back Nadal for 4th French title

Agence France-Presse
Thursday, May 22, 2008 (Paris)

Bjorn Borg believes Rafael Nadal will storm into the history books at the French Open and join him as the only man to rack up four successive Roland Garros titles.

Borg, who performed the feat from 1978-1981, is not the only former champion expecting another Paris cruise for the formidable 21-year-old Spaniard.

Nadal's compatriot Carlos Moya believes that, barring injury, his countryman already has his name on the Coupe des Mousquetaires for the fourth time.

"Nadal looks extremely confident, extremely strong on the clay even right now, so that's definitely the guy to beat for Paris," Borg told ESPN.

"If he's as good as he looks right now and is going to continue, and stay away from injuries and be motivated, it's going to be tough to beat him at the French."

Moya, the French Open champion in 1998, believes Nadal, with 108 wins in his last 110 claycourt matches, has both the physical and mental edge over his rivals including Federer whom he has beaten in eight of their nine meetings on the surface.

"You have to concentrate," Moya said. "You just have to survive all the problems that come at you, it's like tennis's equivalent of a marathon.

"Mentally Nadal is unbelievable, he copes very well with the pressure. I think if he is 100 percent fit no one can beat him over five sets on clay. If he is fine in body and mind, I don't see anyone beating him."

Rome Masters and Australian Open champion Djokovic, the world number three, who lost a nail-biting three-hour semi-final to Nadal in Hamburg last week, refuses to attach great significance to recent problems suffered by the world's top two.

Federer is enduring one of his most disappointing seasons with just the Estoril title to show for his efforts; he has also lost the Monte Carlo and Hamburg finals - both on clay - to Nadal.

Nadal, too, has shown a degree of fraility, suffering badly from blisters in a second round loss to Juan Carlos Ferrero in Rome before needing treatment to a calf injury in the Hamburg final where he had trailed 1-5 in the first set.

"They're professional, and they're humans as all we are. It's normal to lose the first round, second round after so many years of dominance," said the Serbian who turns 21 on Thursday (May 22).

"All I can say is that mentally they're struggling because, you know, there is so much pressure and so much expectation that they have to be in the final on every surface and in every tournament that they play."

Federer, about to play his 10th Roland Garros, recognises Nadal's strengths, but refuses to give up his quest of a French Open title, a mission which proved even beyond the likes of Pete Sampras, John McEnroe, Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg.

"Rafa's a more complete player. He's still young and improving. That's why it's important just for him to play compact and tough," said Federer.

"He brings that day in and day out on clay. For him it's just so natural and it makes it hard for the other players to beat him."

Source: http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/showsports.aspx?id=SPOEN20080050662&ch=5/22/2008%204:11:00%20PM

Eden
05-22-2008, 07:43 PM
King Rafa readies for return to clay-court palace

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2008/05/21/nadalx.jpg
Rafael Nadal is an all-time best 21-1 in clay-court finals and has won 108 of his last 110 matches on clay.

ALMOST PERFECT ON CLAY

Best four-year runs on clay:

Rafael Nadal

2005 (50-2) 96.2%

2006 (26-0) 100%

2007 (31-1) 96.9%

2008 (15-1) 93.8%

Total 122-4 96.8%

Bjorn Borg

1977 (24-1) 96.0%

1978 (25-0) 100%

1979 (29-2) 93.5%

1980 (24-1) 96.0%

Total 102-4 96.2%

By Douglas Robson, Special for USA TODAY

The French Open's playing surface is a complex arrangement of distinct materials: crushed pebbles, ash, limestone and a fine coating of crushed brick that gives the clay its burnt-orange hue.
Spain's Rafael Nadal, the master of that surface, is likewise a layered composite of skills that have made him the non-pareil clay-courter of his generation — and in some minds, at 21, already the best ever.

What are Nadal's layers? Biting topspin, an indefatigable spirit, court-shrinking defense and a sprinkling of bravado have come together to make the kid from the small island of Mallorca the King of Clay. Next week, three-time defending champion Nadal will put his 21-0 record at Roland Garros on the line. The season's second major, the only one on clay, begins Sunday. The draw is Friday.

"To me, the key is how much topspin he gets on the ball," TV analyst and U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe says of the whirring shots that buy Nadal precious recovery time and create high-bouncing headaches for opponents. "It's just scary."

Nadal has been so scary on clay since bursting onto the tennis landscape as a muscular, leaping, fist-pumping teenager that the only modern comparison is to Bjorn Borg, the undisputed ruler of dirt until now. So it's no surprise that the Swedish legend is an admirer.

"I enjoy watching him play," says Borg, who won six French Open titles in eight years starting in 1974. "He always gives 100%. He is kind of an artist on the clay."

Despite his unblemished mark, the swashbuckling Spaniard says the smell of red Parisian dust offers no extra inspiration.

"It's no special feeling," Nadal said via e-mail last week. "I look at it just like I look at another tournament. Things could go well or wrong, but as I say, I will always try to give everything on court."

Nor is he taking his Paris success for granted.

Asked if he ever looks in the mirror and pinches himself over his unbeaten record in this major, he says, "No, I only look at the mirror … to comb my hair. I have had a good run in Roland Garros, and I feel privileged. I know it is not easy."

Breaking records

Though Borg's Open-era record of six French Open titles is safe for now, Nadal has been so dominant that he has edged Borg in another category: the best four-year winning percentage on clay in the Open era (since 1968).

Nadal's 122-4 (96.8%) mark from 2005 to 2008 is slightly better than Borg's 102-4 (96.2%) from 1977 to 1980.

"What he did the last four years is unbelievable," marvels the 51-year-old Swede, who won 11 majors. "It's going to be very interesting to see what he can do the next five years on clay."

As if on cue, Nadal is hitting Paris just as he has since winning his Roland Garros debut in 2005: brimming with confidence after victories against his biggest rivals with a slew of clay-court trophies in hand.

Last week, the world's second-ranked player beat No. 3 Novak Djokovic and No. 1 Roger Federer on his way to his first title in the Hamburg Masters. It was his third clay-court crown of the season after wins in Monte Carlo and Barcelona.

"This has given me more confidence for Roland Garros," says Nadal, who improved to 8-1 on clay against Federer — including the last two French Open finals — and 10-6 overall. The victory avenged last year's loss to Federer in the Hamburg final, which snapped Nadal's record 81-match winning streak on clay.

The Hamburg title also boosted his record to an ATP tour-leading 37-7. Nadal is an all-time best 21-1 in clay-court finals and has won 108 of his last 110 matches on clay.

"You always have to keep adapting to Rafa," Federer said in Hamburg after Nadal beat him 7-5, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, his second loss to Nadal on clay this spring.

Federer, still looking for his first French Open title, also lost to Nadal in the final in Monte Carlo.

Cracks in armor?

If Nadal is the favorite, there have been some atypically irritable moments for him this spring, and even a rare loss.

The preternaturally upbeat player has been a vocal critic of the scrunched clay-court calendar, during which three high-level Masters Series events (Monte Carlo, Rome and Hamburg) fall within a span of four weeks. The top players are required to participate in all of the Masters Series events, and the Beijing Olympics in August puts a further squeeze on the calendar.

In Rome two weeks ago, Nadal lost on clay for just the second time since April 2005 when Juan Carlos Ferrero — a fellow Spaniard and the 2003 French Open champion — upset him, though Nadal was hindered by blisters on his foot.

When Nadal held off Djokovic in Hamburg, he kept his 148-week streak at No. 2 alive. However, that was little solace for Nadal.

"It means that there is someone better than me in the top and that I have not been able to reach him," he says.

Still, on clay, Nadal reigns. No one looks more primed to equal or surpass Borg as the Open-era leader in French Open titles.

Honed footwork in soccer

Besides Nadal growing up on dirt, the foundations of his prowess can be traced in part to his upbringing.

Nadal's uncle Toni has served as his primary coach his entire life, ensuring a stability and single-minded insularity. Toni persuaded Nadal at 12 to switch to a one-handed forehand with his left hand (he used two hands on both wings and even today eats and writes with his right hand), a move not unlike Pete Sampras' switch to a one-handed backhand to cultivate an attacking style for grass.

In soccer-mad Spain, Nadal played tennis and soccer competitively until he was a teenager, honing his superior footwork. And under the influence of another uncle, former pro soccer player and Spanish national team member Miguel Angel, Nadal developed a disciplined professionalism. Some have even said Nadal's favorite pastime, fishing, is responsible for his dogged court patience.

"He seems to be only getting better," McEnroe says.

Nadal's hard work on other surfaces is paying off on clay, according to McEnroe. Taking the ball early, serving bigger and pushing into the court have created more attacking opportunities and allowed him to win matches more easily.

"He's drilling people," McEnroe says. "That's because he's playing more offensive and he's able to put guys away faster, which is saving energy for when he really needs it."

Though no one will concede the Coupe des Mousquetaires trophy in Paris — least of all Federer and Djokovic — Nadal's biggest obstacle might be his grinding style of play.

Because the 6-1 player expends so much energy chasing balls and whipping topspin-laden zingers, lack of freshness might be Nadal's one Achilles' heel. The second-round exit in Rome could be a blessing in disguise because it allowed him extra time to rest and recover from the blistered foot.

But even a weary Nadal is apt to grind opponents into submission, especially the longer the match goes. He has never lost a five-set match on clay and has never been pushed beyond four sets at Roland Garros.

"If someone is going to beat Nadal in Paris over five sets," Borg says, "he's going to have to play the best match of his life."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/tennis/2008-05-21-nadal-cover_N.htm

raven gypsy
05-23-2008, 11:58 AM
:lol: @ Tangy!

Uhmmm, I feel pression but I'll make my prediction for the prestigious MIT after the draw tomorrow.

Maria,

Tough draw.
Nole, Nalbandian, Almagro all in Nadal's half.
Time to make your pick. What's you gonna say? :p

*waits patiently for it* :D

RAFA'S QTR

[6] Nalbandian vs Berlocq
Chardy vs Q
Garcia-Lopez vs Roitman
Q vs [30] Tursunov
[19] Almagro vs Pashanski
Q vs O Rochus
Hrbaty vs Acasuo
Eysseric vs [10] Murray

[15] Youzhny vs Becker
Q vs Q
Isner vs Chela
Ventura vs [22] Verdasco
[26] Nieminen vs Kiefer
Vassallo Arguello vs Lopez
Guccione vs Q
Q vs [2] Nadal

Foxy
05-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Am I witty? I prefer Djoko to be in Fed's half of the draw at Wimby rather than RG :devil::devil::devil:

Aenea
05-23-2008, 02:12 PM
Metis, put me down for Winner. :D

No way I'm picking SF and anything below that would be a major upset. So I'm left with the only option - Winner.
I'm not concerned with the draw, let's see how the things unfold and how far will Nole go. When/If he reaches the SF then I'll start worrying. First rounds don't look tough to me but I'm curious to see who is the Q that Rafa will play. Hopefully not another Troicki this time. As for Roger's half, Davydenko might prove to be a bigger threat than we think. The guy had pushed even Rafa to 3 tiresome sets before so should he face Federer in the SF and this time no any Estoril s*its things might become interesting.

I'm more worried about the strain in Rafa's right thigh. Any news about that? Is this strain gone or still bothering Rafa?

Stefwhit
05-23-2008, 03:41 PM
He faces a few challenges with this draw, for sure. Still I don't see any unsurmountable obstacles blocking his path. Nalbandian is a bit of wild card since he's totally dominated Rafa in their pass meetings; of course this is clay so that H2H isn't the best indicator, although it's still looks to be a challenge.

tennizen
05-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Metis put me down for a final in MIT

Metis
05-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Now that the draw is out (:mad:) it's time for everyone to make/change their predictions...

1st –
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - Metis, acionescu
SF - yana
F - tennizen
W- Blaze-2004, elessar, Foxy, Getta, GuiroNl, hra87, Luvyoyoma1954, MariaV, M.C., NaDALiTa, nashty, rafa_maniac, raven_gypsy, scarecrows, spriwi, tennischeto, TMJordan, Xoman

spriwi
05-23-2008, 04:15 PM
i don't think nalby will make it to the QF.

TMJordan
05-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Put me down for a win! win! win! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

l_mac
05-23-2008, 04:28 PM

OUT.

Put Jordan down for QF, Metis. That is what he predicted on GM. :)

TMJordan
05-23-2008, 04:52 PM
OUT.

But I'm sure Mugro will choke :sad:

Metis
05-23-2008, 04:52 PM

OUT.

:haha:

acionescu
05-23-2008, 04:59 PM
Ana's hand :mad: This is surely a conspiration! Only Ferrer is missing from his half! Poor Rafa! :hug: Put me for the QF! :secret: Next time let Tio Tony to make the draw, he's better then Ana!
And Foxy: I prefer Nole in Fed's half at Wimby, too! Actually in all the HC/grass/carpet tournements! :angel:

Xoman
05-23-2008, 05:55 PM

Now that the draw is out (:mad:) it's time for everyone to make/change their predictions...

Metis ... I don't see my name written there for the Win and I was one of the first to state that Nadal will win his 4th RG. :confused: Please, add me to the win list.

:sad: Unfortunately, EasyJet didn't allow me to check in for my flight with them yesterday. I am :mad: at EasyJet. I lost a lot of money and a chance of a holiday during this Bank Holiday weekend.

Metis
05-23-2008, 07:14 PM
Metis ... I don't see my name written there for the Win and I was one of the first to state that Nadal will win his 4th RG. :confused: Please, add me to the win list.

:sad: Unfortunately, EasyJet didn't allow me to check in for my flight with them yesterday. I am :mad: at EasyJet. I lost a lot of money and a chance of a holiday during this Bank Holiday weekend.

Sorry Xoman, I don't know how I missed it. :( I'll put you in for the win. :D In any case even if I forget to add someone you will still get your points as long as there is proof of your prediction (non-edited post). :)

MariaV
05-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Oh God, I really don't know what to expect. :o
Baaah, put me down for W too then Metis. Wishful thinking I know. :bolt:

l_mac
05-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Rafa gets Bellucci, #2 qualie seed and winner of 4 clay challengers this year, in the 1st round.

:bigcry: :bigcry:

Aenea
05-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Rafa gets Bellucci, #2 qualie seed and winner of 4 clay challengers this year, in the 1st round.

:bigcry: :bigcry:

and Q+1st rd loser in all clay-court ATP tourneys he played this year. But sure we have to worry.

l_mac
05-23-2008, 07:43 PM
and Q+1st rd loser in all clay-court ATP tourneys he played this year. But sure we have to worry.

Actually he beat Eschauer in Buenos Aires, smart ass.

If you're going to try to match my sarcasm you'll need your facts straight :D :hug:

:retard:

Of course I don't expect Rafa to lose to Bellucci, but I think this is the hardest qualie he could have got.

Also a possibility of Devilder in R2. I don't like Rafa to play Frenchies. The crowd is already against him :sad:

Aenea
05-23-2008, 07:52 PM
Well beating a like of Eschauer really speaks of a big threat. :scared: Now you got me scared.
I won't ever try to beat your sarcasm, l_mac, because I don't like sarcastic ppl and I'm never sarcastic. BTW why are you always so rude?

l_mac
05-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Well beating a like of Eschauer really speaks of a big threat. :scared: Now you got me scared.
I won't ever try to beat your sarcasm, l_mac, because I don't like sarcastic ppl and I'm never sarcastic. BTW why are you always so rude?

Why are you always stupid? :shrug:

Life is full of many mysteries.

Anyway, sorry, I didn't realise your "sure we have to worry" was a serious remark.

yana
05-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Wow, a lot of ppl for the big W. :p

I don't think he'll go that far this time. I said SF, but it might be earlier :sad:

Foxy
05-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Metis, can I ask you something? If I state Rafa will win RG without droping a single set and he really does that, do I get bonus points for the MIT tournament? Because I want to catch up with the others in the provisional rankings :rolleyes::devil:

cmurray
05-23-2008, 08:58 PM
Metis, put me down for the "W". :D

Getta
05-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Metis, can I ask you something? If I state Rafa will win RG without droping a single set and he really does that, do I get bonus points for the MIT tournament? Because I want to catch up with the others in the provisional rankings :rolleyes::devil:

You are not a fair player. No way Metis accept this. :p

hra87
05-23-2008, 09:37 PM

Don't worry, once hardcourt season starts, putting down W each time won't get you a ton of points. Solid guessing for the rest of the season can easily get you to the top.

Getta
05-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Don't worry, once hardcourt season starts, putting down W each time won't get you a ton of points. Solid guessing for the rest of the season can easily get you to the top.

Are you sure that Foxy is the only Rafa fan who can guess consistently solidly? :shrug:

By the way, is Foxy a 'he' or a 'she'? :scratch:

Tnn74
05-24-2008, 12:05 AM
W for me please, Metis :angel:
despite the difficult draw, I believe Rafito will snag the 4-peat this year...
good luck Rafa! go achieve that BORGian status kiddo! :hug:

wildegirl05
05-24-2008, 02:16 AM
F for me, metis :D i'm sticking with the system!

Metis
05-24-2008, 02:53 AM

:lol: ...and what if you are wrong? Should I deduct points then? :p

You are not a fair player. No way Metis accept this. :p

That's right! Foxy didn't even offer a bribe. :rolleyes:

1st –
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - acionescu, Metis
SF - yana
F - tennizen, wildegirl05
W- Blaze-2004, cmurray, elessar, Foxy, Getta, GuiroNl, hra87, Luvyoyoma1954, MariaV, M.C., NaDALiTa, nashty, rafa_maniac, raven_gypsy, scarecrows, spriwi, tennischeto, TMJordan, Tnn74, Xoman

hra87
05-24-2008, 03:06 AM
Are you sure that Foxy is the only Rafa fan who can guess consistently solidly? :shrug:

By the way, is Foxy a 'he' or a 'she'? :scratch:

Don't know about his/her sex, but I suspect everyone won't be putting down the same vote from FO onwards. And I suspect no one will consistently be right every time.

Foxy
05-24-2008, 07:44 AM
I am a 'he' and of course I was joking about the bonus points but this doesn't mean Rafa can't win the whole thing without droping a set. ;)
Anyway, it is true from RG onwards the real MIT tournament starts. We should do much analysing before picking a round.

BTW, they are going crazy at RF's forum. Wishing Rafa to play 5-hour epic with Nalby and 7- hour epic with Djoko... :eek:

Aenea
05-24-2008, 01:37 PM
Foxy, :wavey: If I could I would have goodrep you again for your optimistic posts. :D I didn't get extra pts in MIT for predicting both singles and doubles titles in MC either :sobbing: though I tried to negotiate it with Metis. :)
So Fedfans are wishing long matches for Rafa eh. They should be more careful, fate is a funny thing, what they wish for Rafa may get to their favorite.
Rafa isn't in the OOP for tomorrow so he'll start Monday I guess. Good luck, Rafa! :inlove:

Foxy
05-24-2008, 03:04 PM
It would be of great importance finally the bottom half of the draw to start first at RG as it seems to be the case this year. And Rafa to play the first semifinal on friday. Good luck, pal. :bounce:

Metis
05-24-2008, 04:07 PM
BTW, they are going crazy at RF's forum. Wishing Rafa to play 5-hour epic with Nalby and 7- hour epic with Djoko... :eek:

Oh well it's expected. If I were a Fedtard I would feel the same way. It is a bit funny though; it shows that they don't believe Federer is good enough to win this title unless Nadal is beaten by someone else or plays below par because of exhaustion. :devil: But at least their daily prayers for a cakewalk draw have been answered. :hug:

I didn't get extra pts in MIT for predicting both singles and doubles titles in MC either :sobbing: though I tried to negotiate it with Metis. :)

You people don't know how this works. Show me the money! http://smiley.onegreatguy.net/2cents.gif :p

Rafa isn't in the OOP for tomorrow so he'll start Monday I guess. Good luck, Rafa! :inlove:

:yeah:

raven gypsy
05-24-2008, 04:33 PM
On the practice courts.
Players (as usual) less nervous than their fans ;)

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/2036/rograf6ik5.jpg
By woa (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/woa)

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/7123/rograf5cd8.jpg

Metis
05-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Rafa has been practicing his net game :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french08/news/story?id=3410790

In the past, Nadal has been content to play far behind the baseline on the world's largest clay courts and rely on his superior speed and endurance to wear opponents down. With the improvement shown by Djokovic and Federer, that might not be good enough this year. Nadal may have to be more aggressive.

Perhaps toward that end, Nadal spent a considerable amount of time at net on Saturday, knifing a series of pretty solid volleys from both sides. You may see more of the same as the tournament progresses.

Eden
05-24-2008, 06:59 PM

Ever thought that it was just a little joke?

It still has to be seen if Nalbandian and Djokovic make it that far in the tournament and even if they do so I will be really surprised if they can challenge Rafa.

If I were a Fedtard I would feel the same way. It is a bit funny though; it shows that they don't believe Federer is good enough to win this title unless Nadal is beaten by someone else or plays below par because of exhaustion. :devil: But at least their daily prayers for a cakewalk draw have been answered. :hug:

Rafa fans whining about cakewalk draws - tss, tss :p Just a little reminder of the Australian Open draw, Metis? http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/e025.gif

We have seen that Roger has the game to trouble Rafa and even outplay him on clay, but unfortunately he isn't able to keep up this level for a whole match. It surely doesn't help Roger's selfconfidence that Rafa beats him in 99% of their matches on clay, but at least he doesn't give up and tries out something new. To beat Rafa on clay in a best of 5 match is Roger's main challenge, just like Rafa's biggest aim is to win against Roger in Wimbledon.

It might be their destiny to have the other one around at the same time during their career.

On the practice courts.
Players (as usual) less nervous than their fans ;)

Great pictures :)

Metis
05-24-2008, 07:37 PM
Rafa fans whining about cakewalk draws - tss, tss :p Just a little reminder of the Australian Open draw, Metis? http://cosgan.de/images/smilie/frech/e025.gif

We have seen that Roger has the game to trouble Rafa and even outplay him on clay, but unfortunately he isn't able to keep up this level for a whole match. It surely doesn't help Roger's selfconfidence that Rafa beats him in 99% of their matches on clay, but at least he doesn't give up and tries out something new. To beat Rafa on clay in a best of 5 match is Roger's main challenge, just like Rafa's biggest aim is to win against Roger in Wimbledon.

It might be their destiny to have the other one around at the same time during their career.

:lol: Doris :hug: I don't think I was whining. I even defended Fedtards by saying I would feel the same way if I were one myself :shrug:

- Fedtards were happy to see Nadal involved in a long and arduous SF in Hamburg: FACT
- Fedtards have been praying for a cakewalk draw for Roger: FACT
- Fedtards have been praying for Nalby and Djoko to be on Rafa's half: FACT

What does that tell us about Fedtards' insecurity in Roger's chances to win RG by beating Rafa? ;)

Of course all that has nothing to do with how Federer himself feels about the whole thing, but I'm sure his main concern is to win the elusive RG title; I doubt he will be too sorry to see Nadal bomb out before the final. Not that there's anything wrong with feeling that way.

:p

Foxy
05-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Ever thought that it was just a little joke?

It was everything but joke :)

Anyway, good luck to Nalbandian, Djokovic and Federer :p

Eden
05-24-2008, 09:31 PM
:lol: Doris :hug: I don't think I was whining. I even defended Fedtards by saying I would feel the same way if I were one myself :shrug:

- Fedtards were happy to see Nadal involved in a long and arduous SF in Hamburg: FACT
- Fedtards have been praying for a cakewalk draw for Roger: FACT
- Fedtards have been praying for Nalby and Djoko to be on Rafa's half: FACT

What does that tell us about Fedtards' insecurity in Roger's chances to win RG by beating Rafa? ;)

We only wanted to see Rafa really fighting for his No. 2 ranking against NTG :angel: And in the end we all kept our fingers crossed for Roger's love - and you see what we got in the end :sad:

I don't think that any Roger fan really believes that Novak will be able to beat Rafa when they meet in a best of 5 match ;)

:
Of course all that has nothing to do with how Federer himself feels about the whole thing, but I'm sure his main concern is to win the elusive RG title; I doubt he will be too sorry to see Nadal bomb out before the final. Not that there's anything wrong with feeling that way.
:p

I second this :)

Come on, some of you Rafa fans aren't always really friendly towards Roger as well ;) So why all those moaning about what Roger fans write? :shrug:

Aenea
05-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Anyway, good luck to Nalbandian, Djokovic and Federer :p
Except for the matches they play Nadal. :)

Foxy
05-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Except for the matches they play Nadal. :)

That is by default... :devil:

Tess Gray
05-25-2008, 01:36 PM
little bit late but put me down for a Win :D

Aenea
05-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Rafa playes tomorrow, 3rd match on CHATRIER court, matches start 11am CET.

Vamos. :rocker2:

OOP

CHATRIER 11:00
1. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Tommy Robredo (ESP)[12] v. Guillermo Coria (ARG)
2. Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Venus Williams (USA)[8] v. Tzipora Obziler (ISR)
3. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Thomaz Bellucci (BRA) v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]
4. Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Amelie Mauresmo (FRA)[22] v. Olga Savchuk (UKR)

Foxy
05-25-2008, 06:37 PM
Rafa playes tomorrow, 3rd match on CHATRIER court, matches start 11am CET.

Vamos. :rocker2:

OOP

1. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Tommy Robredo (ESP)[12] v. Guillermo Coria (ARG)
2. Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Venus Williams (USA)[8] v. Tzipora Obziler (ISR)

CORIA! :worship:

Metis
05-25-2008, 06:56 PM
Reminder: Rafa's 1st round match is tomorrow. You can make/change your predictions until then. :)

1st –
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
QF - acionescu, l_mac, Metis
SF - yana
W- Blaze-2004, cmurray, elessar, Foxy, Getta, GuiroNl, hra87, Luvyoyoma1954, MariaV, M.C., NaDALiTa, nashty, rafa_maniac, raven_gypsy, scarecrows, spriwi, tangerine dream, tennischeto, Tess Gray, TMJordan, Tnn74, Xoman

tangerine_dream
05-26-2008, 03:32 AM
I almost forgot to get my pick in. Win for me, Metis. Rafa has a tough draw but I think he will get through it. :wavey:

I love those photos of Rafa and Roger laughing in practice. Roger looks strangely submissive with his head down like that, almost like he's afraid to look Rafa in the eye. :aplot:

*edit*

Photo to add to Linda's ass collection. ;)

Sizzling Safin
05-26-2008, 04:26 AM

FEDERER: I'm sorry Sir Rafa, I won't be a naughty boy again, Sir Rafa. :angel:

RAFA: Go to your room, and don't come out until you've learned how to behave.

Federer drops his head in shame and skulks to his room. He knows never to be naughty again. :tape: :lol:

l_mac
05-26-2008, 02:30 PM
Quarter Final :awww: :sad:

Aenea
05-26-2008, 06:19 PM
ES just announced the officials at RG called off the day. :sad: Rafa will play tomorrow. Hopefully we have a nice sunny day in Paris.

Foxy
05-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Wimby story all over again... Unbelievable. Rafa's half plays first basically but Ego King already played his first round and Rafa not.

NaDALiTa
05-26-2008, 06:44 PM
always the same f***** story in RG,when will they buy a roof???? stingy French :shrug: RG will have to wait another day to see his king!I was sure this would end like this,now Rafa will have less time in between matches!

Aenea
05-26-2008, 07:01 PM
Wimby story all over again... Unbelievable. Rafa's half plays first basically but Ego King already played his first round and Rafa not.

It's not only Federer from the top half who played today, Gonzo for example also played today. RG organizers made some mix they are not planning matches by top and bottom half. I can't figure out their scheme. :confused:

MariaV
05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
GREAT, SIMPLY GREAT, ISN'T IT?!!!! :mad: :fiery: :armed:
What the French won't do to prevent Rafa from the 4-peat! :rolleyes:

Aenea
05-26-2008, 07:30 PM
27 May

OOP

1. Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
2. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Gael Monfils (FRA) v. Arnaud Clement (FRA)
Maria Sharapova (RUS)[1] v. Evgeniya Rodina (RUS)

Please, no rain!! :bowdown:

mallorn
05-26-2008, 07:31 PM
edit, tennischeto beat me to it. ;)

It says on the RG official site that the forecast for tomorrow is better and the whole day shouldn't be rained off... let's hope so.

Maria, strangely enough the French have changed the balls to ones that suit Rafa even better than the previous ones. I suppose they had a moment of madness. :nerner:

http://www.liberation.fr/actualite/sports/rolandgarros/328143.FR.php

MariaV
05-26-2008, 07:34 PM
edit, tennischeto beat me to it. ;)

It says on the RG official site that the forecast for tomorrow is better and the whole day shouldn't be rained off... let's hope so.

Maria, strangely enough the French have changed the balls to ones that suit Rafa even better than the previous ones. I suppose they had a moment of madness. :nerner:

http://www.liberation.fr/actualite/sports/rolandgarros/328143.FR.php

:lol:

OK let's hope Rafa gets to play tomorrow. :wavey:

NaDALiTa
05-26-2008, 07:58 PM
i've just watched the weather,it won't rain in the morning but there will be showers in the afternoon.
The forecast is really inaccurate since there was supposed to have only a few showers this afternoon :tape:

GuiroNl
05-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Can't believe it. Why isn't Nadal first on tomorrow :retard:

l_mac
05-26-2008, 10:54 PM
Poor Rafa.

7 opponents, Mother Nature, desperate-for-Fed-to-win French officials, the disgustingly unappreciative crowd ... it's a lot for the boy to get through :awww:

NaDALiTa
05-27-2008, 12:46 AM
:sad: especially the French officials and the commentators (who received many messages of insult from French Rafatards :p so now when they want to b!tch on Rafa say just remain silent!)
Rafa will make it through the rain!And he still has a secret weapon,the touch of charm tìo Tonì..the French love him!:lol:

Foxy
05-27-2008, 10:27 AM
Poor Rafa.

7 opponents, Mother Nature, desperate-for-Fed-to-win French officials, the disgustingly unappreciative crowd ... it's a lot for the boy to get through :awww:

True.
Ego King himself alone is the least problem for Rafa this year.

Aenea
05-27-2008, 12:14 PM
I think it's over for today. The forecast is for heavy rains all day long and the sky in Paris look ominous. I don't think Rafa will be able to play today nor any of the other scheduled players for that matter. :sad: Though I hope sky clears up some time later.

And we are having such a great and hot weather in my country. I better take off to the beach :dance: instead of waiting for tennis.

NaDALiTa
05-27-2008, 12:53 PM
the forecast for the week is not really reassuring :sad: :sad: Wind and rain on thursday

GuiroNl
05-27-2008, 07:03 PM
I will repeat

Why didn't these stinking Frenchies put Nadal up first :retard:. Instead they give us the all time classic Mauresmo - ChukChuk :retard:

Foxy
05-27-2008, 07:35 PM
I will repeat

Why didn't these stinking Frenchies put Nadal up first :retard:. Instead they give us the all time classic Mauresmo - ChukChuk :retard:

They are doing this on purpose. Jerks.

Aenea
05-27-2008, 08:32 PM
Calm down, mates :) Maybe it's good for Rafa to have played those 2 games v Bellucci and now he knows his opponent a bit better. Everything is going to be OK for Rafa, I'm positive. :)

As for the weather things are not looking good not only for tomorrow but for the entire week and next one as well. Check those 2 links

http://www.france24.com/en/weather/62827
http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/FRXX0076.html

they both predict rain and even thunders :help: :scared: And their forecast is good, they've been correct up to now.

Third attempt

OOP 28 May

1. Women's Singles - 1st Rnd.
Maria Sharapova (RUS)[1] v. Evgeniya Rodina (RUS)
2. Men's Singles - 1st Rnd. To Finish 1-1
Gael Monfils (FRA) v. Arnaud Clement (FRA)
4. Women's Singles - 2nd Rnd.
Serena Williams (USA)[5] v. Mathilde Johansson (FRA)

Please, Maria be quick in disposing of Rodina. :bowdown:

elessar
05-27-2008, 11:09 PM
Poor Rafa.

Nelson Monfort (:hearts: him) told Roger during his on court interview that the only people who wanted him to win RG more than him must be the Parisian crowd :worship:

They are doing this on purpose. Jerks.
:spit:

TMJordan
05-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Poor Raffy :sobbing:

NaDALiTa
05-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Thunder is most of time at night which is not the case for rain :sobbing:

F***** organization Rafa playing after Screamova,hope she won't take too long :shrug:
What a brown noser this Nelson Monfort is!

Foxy
05-28-2008, 02:33 PM
It is getting ridiculous now. Djoko's 2rd round match can finish before Rafa's first round match and both are in the same half.

EDIT: In fact not. Rafa won 75 63 61. Good job considering the wind... :)

Aenea
05-28-2008, 03:58 PM
Finally the waiting is over and the 1st rnd match is finished. :D
Next rnd Rafa's playing another lefty, Devilder, and in the 3rd rnd he may play Nieminen, another lefty (and I thought the lefties were rear :))
I hope for a good and sunny weather in the next days.

:yippee:

NaDALiTa
05-28-2008, 04:10 PM
Yeah Hulk won :woohoo: but this Bellucci is really good on clay!

Devilder :mad: I hate this guy he doesn't have a clue about what fair play is :retard:

Xoman
05-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Hi Rafa fans,

I would like to share with you my uneasy feelings regarding the strange scheduling of matches at Roland Garros.

How is it possible that Djoker finishes his 2nd round match just a few minutes after Madal finishes his first round match when both are in the same half of the draw?
Why that French guy "Devilder" gets 2 days rest more than Nadal before they play each other?
My gut-feeling is that "the powers that be" of Tennis might have the intention to play "mind games" with Nadal and favour in the scheduling Roger Federer and Novak ... As well as any French player that may happen to cross Nadal's path.

Am I being paranoid? Does anyone notice something fishy here too?

l_mac
05-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Ridiculous scheduling.

Just started a thread about it on GM. Rafa also thinks it is strange.

I really don't think he'll win this year. Too much against him :shrug:

Xoman
05-28-2008, 10:08 PM
Ridiculous scheduling.

Just started a thread about it on GM. Rafa also thinks it is strange.

I really don't think he'll win this year. Too much against him :shrug:

I agree, "ridiculous scheduling" Those are the words I was looking for.

However, I still think Nadal will win. To defeat Nadal on 5 sets, it takes more than unfavorable scheduling, bad umpire calls and booing public; It requires also an opponent of high ranking who plays the best match of his life on clay. Too many factors ... Is not going to happen.

Aenea
05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Yeah and as if the schedule wasn't bad enough already they changed it again and pushed Rafa's match 3rd. Dulko-Cornet match should be finished on the SL court after JJ's match and before Rafa's. And why should they put Dulko-Cornet on a central court? Only because Cornet is a french? :rolleyes:

TMJordan
05-28-2008, 10:52 PM
Everyone is against our Rafito :tears:

scarecrows
05-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Everyone is against our Rafito :tears:

i concur

bloody frog and snail eaters :(

l_mac
05-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Always a pleasure to see you two boys contibuting to the tournament thread. It gives me the warm fuzzies. :hug: :hug:

For sure you are better fans than adee-gee, who never ventures outside the Chat thread :mad:

TMJordan
05-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Love you too, Linda :kiss:

Rafffffa will triple bagel Devilder tommorow, 6-3 6-2 6-1 :rocker2:

Getta
05-28-2008, 11:19 PM
i concur

bloody frog and snail eaters :(

Hope Claire is not around to defend frenchies. :p

EDIT: Ooops. We Greeks also eat frogs and snails. :o Well, in certain parts of Greece...

Getta
05-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Love you too, Linda :kiss:

Rafffffa will triple bagel Devilder tommorow, 6-3 6-2 6-1 :rocker2:

I think "Mediter triple bagel" is 6-3 6-3 6-3. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

elessar
05-29-2008, 12:04 AM

EDIT: Ooops. We Greeks also eat frogs and snails. :o Well, in certain parts of Greece...
I'm always around to defend my fellow frog eaters :rocker2: unlike Nadalita willing to slate her country for Rafa :crying2:

Metis
05-29-2008, 01:41 AM
Always a pleasure to see you two boys contibuting to the tournament thread. It gives me the warm fuzzies. :hug: :hug:

For sure you are better fans than adee-gee, who never ventures outside the Chat thread :mad:

Don't you know that haters-converted-to-Rafatards are more fanatic than born and raised Rafatards? It's always like that in everything. :shrug:

Which parts are those? The French restaurants in Athens? :lol: :p

Getta
05-29-2008, 02:13 AM
Which parts are those? The French restaurants in Athens? :lol: :p

:confused:

Frog legs are one of the most original flavours in Ioannina. :shrug:

As for the snails, well my mum often cooks them. I know many Greek housewives in Athens who cook snails with tomato and mint sauce. It's a popular dish in Crete too.
Delicious Greek dish. :drool: Highly recommended. :yeah:

NaDALiTa
05-29-2008, 02:14 AM
I'm always around to defend my fellow frog eaters :rocker2: unlike Nadalita willing to slate her country for Rafa :crying2:

wowow I'm a proud frog eater and it caused me trouble in UK and in Switzerland :lol: !!I just don't defend French sportsmen anymore :lol: they are lost causes!Rafa is above nationalities!:o
Poor Rafa tomorrow he'll have to face RG crowd which isn't a present.

Vamos Rafa trash the dwarf! :fiery:

(the spanish flag isn't for Rafa ;) )

Metis
05-29-2008, 02:29 AM
:confused:

Frog legs are one of the most original flavours in Ioannina. :shrug:

As for the snails, well my mum often cooks them. I know many Greek housewives in Athens who cook snails with tomato and mint sauce. It's a popular dish in Crete too.
Delicious Greek dish. :drool: Highly recommended. :yeah:

I was joking :p. But you have to admit that eating frog legs and snails is not exactly widespread in Greece and something you would expect to find in a restaurant. Yes, frog legs are eaten in Northwest Greece but you wouldn't find them anywhere else. As for snails they are maybe a bit more popular but I personally don't know anyone who cooks them. I've only had frog legs and snails abroad. :shrug:

hra87
05-29-2008, 05:12 AM
I was joking :p. But you have to admit that eating frog legs and snails is not exactly widespread in Greece and something you would expect to find in a restaurant. Yes, frog legs are eaten in Northwest Greece but you wouldn't find them anywhere else. As for snails they are maybe a bit more popular but I personally don't know anyone who cooks them. I've only had frog legs and snails abroad. :shrug:

I only eat beef, chicken, turkey, and lamb.

I've tried and disliked: pork, fish, shrimp, lobster.

Anything more unusual than that and you would have to drug me before I put it in my mouth.

GuiroNl
05-29-2008, 09:01 AM
I think "Mediter triple bagel" is 6-3 6-3 6-3. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, the "Mediter bagel" is 6-4 (at least that's what he says on 606). So the Meditier Triple Bagel is 6-4 6-4 6-4 :)

Xoman
05-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I only eat beef, chicken, turkey, and lamb.

I've tried and disliked: pork, fish, shrimp, lobster.

Anything more unusual than that and you would have to drug me before I put it in my mouth.

There is a saying in Spain: "No digas de esta agua no bebere" (translated) "Never say: I won't drink from this water!" ;)

Generally I like everything. I remember eating a few times snails when I was a child. I don't remember ever having tried frogs though. I love shrimps and fish and prawns and lobster and all sea food! Unfortunately, as I live in the UK that has got me sometimes in trouble. I don't understand why a majority of British people hate fish food. Not only that, they hate you if you eat fish food near them at the cantine. They say it smells bad.
Fish food is good for the brain ... They should give it to their children, instead of burgers and rubbish they give to them... OK, wait, now I understand why some of them appear re*****d :)

As I live in the UK I tend to avoid beef. Even though it is supposed to be safe nowadays.

I am pretty sure that Nadal during his upbringing ate lots of fish. That's why his brain works so well.

Sorry, I hope I am not getting "off topic".

MariaV
05-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Actually, the "Mediter bagel" is 6-4 (at least that's what he says on 606). So the Meditier Triple Bagel is 6-4 6-4 6-4 :)

Ehhhhh, I thought too that the 'Mediter bagel' is 6-3 6-3 6-3. :confused:

Rafa beat Devilder 6-4 6-0 6-1 - some nice bakery products for Adam's bakery! :rocker: :banana:

l_mac
05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
:banana:

But now Nieminen :scared:

So many lefties :mad: A conspiracy.

MariaV
05-29-2008, 04:49 PM
I am pretty sure that Nadal during his upbringing ate lots of fish. That's why his brain works so well.

Sorry, I hope I am not getting "off topic".

It's OK, now I understand why my brain is not that good, I didn't get enough seafood when I was a child. :lol:
I love seafood but I'm not good at preparing it. :o

MariaV
05-29-2008, 04:51 PM

But now Nieminen :scared:

So many lefties :mad: A conspiracy.

Yeah, those Frenchies and the Serb mafia. :o :sad: :mad: :tape:

Metis
05-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Rafa beat Devilder 6-4 6-0 6-1 - some nice bakery products for Adam's bakery! :rocker: :banana:

you mean nice bakery products from Rafa's bakery:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/8/111936/Houston/East-Loop-Magnolia-Park-restaurants/El-Rafa-Bakery.html

(vote in the site above to show your appreciation for Rafa's bakery) :haha:

MariaV
05-29-2008, 05:16 PM
you mean nice bakery products from Rafa's bakery:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/8/111936/Houston/East-Loop-Magnolia-Park-restaurants/El-Rafa-Bakery.html

(vote in the site above to show your appreciation for Rafa's bakery) :haha:

Oh that bakery too of course! :worship: :bowdown:
Voted. :D

spriwi
05-29-2008, 06:46 PM
told ya nalby wont reach QF :)

Metis
05-29-2008, 07:06 PM

:lol: Those people in Houston will become famous. :D Someone should write a review praising their bagels and breadsticks. :p

Metis
05-29-2008, 07:59 PM
OK, who wrote that review for El Rafa bakery? :rolls:

Fess up whoever you are, rafarulesnr1!

NaDALiTa
05-29-2008, 08:13 PM
voted too :p El Rafa bakery kicks ass!

cmurray
05-29-2008, 08:38 PM

:rolls:

The review is hilarious.

NaDALiTa
05-29-2008, 08:50 PM
the review :haha: :haha: :spit:

Metis
05-29-2008, 09:33 PM
So Nadal-Nieminen are playing tomorrow 2nd in Lenglen after Serena-Srebotnik.

Has this ever happened before, Nadal facing 3 lefties in a row? :eek:

l_mac
05-29-2008, 09:44 PM
So Nadal-Nieminen are playing tomorrow 2nd in Lenglen after Serena-Srebotnik.

Has this ever happened before, Nadal facing 3 lefties in a row? :eek:

:mad:

And probably Verdasco in R4 :rolleyes:

hra87
05-29-2008, 11:19 PM

And probably Verdasco in R4 :rolleyes:

Oh no! The RG streak is over!

l_mac
05-29-2008, 11:28 PM

GuiroNl
05-30-2008, 02:56 PM
Does anyone here have the interview (video/transcript) of Nadal's 2nd round match?

Foxy
05-30-2008, 03:48 PM
voted too :p El Rafa bakery kicks ass!

I quite adore eating Murray's bakery products as well. They are so delicious :)

NaDALiTa
05-30-2008, 04:48 PM
I quite adore eating Murray's bakery products as well. They are so delicious :)

:worship::worship::worship:

Metis
05-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Why hasn't anyone posted the result yet? :(

Nadal-Nieminen: 6-1 6-3 6-1 :dance: El Rafa bakery has a new customer :D

Bring on the 4th leftie :rolls:

NaDALiTa
05-30-2008, 06:42 PM
crazy thing never seen so much lefties :lol: it must be a record :lol:

l_mac
05-30-2008, 07:30 PM
I hate it when rafa has to play his friends :mad: And another lefty :mad: And stupid Almagro if he manages to get through Fernando :mad:

:bigcry:

Also, blisters :sobbing: :bigcry: :scared: :fiery:

Verdasco :scared: :unsure:

NaDALiTa
05-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Rafa will play Chardy because he will kick Almagro's ass!

There's nothing with the blisters that's what he said to the French Tv after the match. :tape:

spriwi
05-30-2008, 09:31 PM
you're overreacting i_mac as always. or it's a landslide of irony that i can't sense?

all players have blisters all the time. they get used to it. that's it.

l_mac
05-30-2008, 09:34 PM
you're overreacting i_mac as always. or it's a landslide of irony that i can't sense?

all players have blisters all the time. they get used to it. that's it.

Deadly serious, as always.

acionescu
05-30-2008, 09:34 PM
There's nothing with the blisters that's what he said to the French Tv after the match. :tape:

He doesn't like to complain! He's such a Spartan! :rocker2:

Blisters :bigcry:

yana
05-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Well, if Verdasco beat Rafi, we should be happy at least that is another Beauty :awww:

Tnn74
05-30-2008, 11:48 PM
he should be fine IMO... don't worry Linda :hug:
Way to go Rafa :bounce:
4th lefty in a row... :lol:

The way Chardy's been playing...
I wouldn't be shocked if he was Rafa's
surprised QF opponent...

Aenea
05-31-2008, 08:45 PM
OOP 1 June

1. Women's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Petra Cetkovska (CZE) v. Ana Ivanovic (SRB)[2]
2. Women's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Agnieszka Radwanska (POL)[14] v. Jelena Jankovic (SRB)[3]
3. Men's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Paul-Henri Mathieu (FRA)[18] v. Novak Djokovic (SRB)[3]
4. Men's Singles - 4th Rnd.
Fernando Verdasco (ESP)[22] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Good luck, Rafa! :wavey:

l_mac
06-01-2008, 12:43 PM

Hate it when he plays other Spaniards. :sad:

And if he gets through this The Head has a shot at him :bigcry: And then The Skull :bigcry: and then The Arm :sad: :bigcry:

Metis
06-01-2008, 01:24 PM

And if he gets through this The Head has a shot at him :bigcry: And then The Skull :bigcry: and then The Arm :sad: :bigcry:

:rolls:

spriwi
06-01-2008, 07:43 PM
almagro won 7-6 7-6 7-5

i think it's better for rafa, chardy is totaly out of control at times ;)

GuiroNl
06-01-2008, 07:57 PM
Nadal beats this baphoon Verdasco 6-1 6-0 6-2

Eden
06-01-2008, 10:20 PM
Official interview with Rafa after todays match:

An Interview with Rafael Nadal day 8 - Sunday, June 1, 2008

Q. Coming to the second week, we think you are already thinking about winning another title. To achieve that, do you change anything from last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, happy to be in the quarterfinals. I just try my best every day, but I don't change nothing, no? Nothing, special, no?

Q. Are you still bothered by your blisters?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I today put the double protection, so I was better. I didn't feel nothing, so that's very important.

Q. Do you know what's the reason for those blisters?

RAFAEL NADAL: What?

Q. The reason, the cause for those blisters?

RAFAEL NADAL: A lot of matches, consecutive in a row, so it's difficult.

Q. Also, have you been using the same tennis shoes over the past months, or have you changed for a new model recently?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I use the same. Well, I didn't change, the same like last year.

Q. Can you just talk about your next opponent, Almagro? He's had a good season on clay. He's maybe a year older than you. Did you know him growing up?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, sure, I know him. No, I didn't play against him lot of times in the ATP. One time Barcelona.

Q. Twice.

RAFAEL NADAL: Two times?

Q. Yeah.

RAFAEL NADAL: (Speaking Spanish.) Oh, Palermo, yes. Sorry, yes. Long time ago.

Q. So you haven't played him in at least a couple years.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Well, one of the toughest opponents on clay in this moment, for sure, no? He won in Brazil; he won in Acapulco; played the final in Valencia, but winning 5‑2 against David Ferrer. So.

Probably going to be my toughest match in this week, no?

Q. Were you surprised it was so easy today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Always surprise. 6‑1, 6‑0, 6‑2, in fourth round of Grand Slam. Is not usually. But I played a lot better today, better than last days. The day off from yesterday and one hour‑and‑a‑half practice helped me a little bit, and I feel the ball better, no?

For sure Fernando was a little bit tighter later, but when the first set was normal the game was normal, I feel I am playing well, no?

Q. You only lost 22 games in four matches. Do you feel invincible?

Q. You only lost 22 games in these four matches, your four matches in Roland Garros.

RAFAEL NADAL: 22? Well, for sure I didn't feel nothing like you say, no? I feel when I go on court I can lose every day, and I feel I have to play my best tennis any want to continue winning.

Q. What was the situation when the trainer came out after you warmed up following the rain delay?

RAFAEL NADAL: Situation? The tension, you know, the tension going down. I don't ‑‑ well, I feel a little bit dizzy, no? I just feel a little bit dizzy probably for ‑‑ I go out half an hour, coming back.

I can't take a shower because I have all the tapes and it's not enough time for everything. Probably for that reason, when I come back on court I feel it a little bit dizzy, no?

But after, I eat some bread, some bananas, and that's helped me a lot, no?

Q. And how are the blisters on your feet at this point? Do they bother you at all today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not today, nothing. I feel good.

Q. When you say dizzy, you mean light‑headed, too? In English we'd say light‑headed?

RAFAEL NADAL: (Spanish.) Dizzy is a lot?

Q. Dizzy sometimes means maybe you can fall down.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no, no, not for going down. I feel dizzy. I feel a little bit. (In Spanish.)

THE MODERATOR: Spanish questions.

Q. We've seen Ivanovic 6‑Love, 6‑Love, so there is no mercy in tennis. What is your opinion?

RAFAEL NADAL: For women it's different. It's totally different. They're playing differently, no? No, mercy? We all do what we can. I wish all my have matches were like this one, because I wouldn't suffer like this one.

But here we don't want to have mercy for anybody. We all fight on each point and we have to play to win the points. That's the only way we can achieve something.

Q. Having suffered the rain and the weather conditions during this tournament, and the threat that there would be an interruption because of the night, did it force you to play harder?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know what you think that I play all my matches 100%. I'm not trying to do more or less. I do as much as I can on all matches.

You know, tennis is not a sport in which you can speculate, neither me nor Federer.

Q. Rafa, when you asked for the doctor you said you felt a bit dizzy. Can you say a bit more?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. As I said, I didn't have time to have a shower. I had sweat a lot, and ‑‑ you know, when you have this half‑hour interruption or delay, I felt a bit dizzy.

I could have played, but it was an important game. I was one break ahead and it was important for me to recover, so I took time to eat a banana, piece of bread, and it helped me feel better to win this first game.

Because at the beginning I was a bit dizzy when I served, and then I started feeling better and better.

Q. Second week you never lost a. Set, you're pretty fit. You're very confident. Apparently you're even more confident now.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, not more confident, just like everybody ‑‑ just like every time. But I have a great respect for all my opponents. I don't have more confidence. I have great respect for the opponent. I know that I have to play 100% if I want to make it, but I know that all matches are going to be difficult.

Next match is against one of the greatest player on clay at the moment. It's going to be a very difficult match. I know that, so I'll try and play my best tennis to win.

Q. After the match, what did you say to Fernando?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I said, How are you? And he said he was a bit tired, which is quite normal, because we played a tough match. He probably doesn't play as many tough matches as I do. Then he also had a problem in Hamburg and didn't have much time to practice.

But he played a very beautiful tournament, reached the quarterfinals. It wasn't a good day for him. I played at a pretty good level, so I won.

Q. After this match, you probably are thinking about the match against Almagro, but you have a day off. You're relaxed tomorrow.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I'll practice for one hour. But, you know, it's always a pleasure to have a day off in a Grand Slam tournament, even when you finish at 4:00 in the afternoon, because you have a feeling that you have a real day off.

Now, you know, I'll have to go back to hotel, have dinner, go to sleep and then start preparing my next match. But as I said, it's good to reach the quarterfinal. This is a difficult tournament.

It's good to reach the quarterfinals in three sets for all matches before, so that's very good. I hope it's not going to be my last match.

Q. Well, your match ended at the same time as that of Chardy and Almagro, so you were playing at the same time.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I was watching the results. I was keeping an eye on their results, and we could have played a double (laughter.) No, it's not true, but I know them well.

Q. How are you going to play this opponent, Rafa?

RAFAEL NADAL: As I said, he is a very good player. He has a beautiful serve, very powerful serve. So I'll try and impose my rhythm, won't let him take the initiative, and make him run.

And that's perhaps his only weak point. I'll try and make him run.

Q. So you're playing on Tuesday, and that's your birthday, isn't it? I think it's 3rd of June. Would you like to play to make the most out of that day?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I can play at any time. And if I win, it's going to be a beautiful birthday present. I don't mind finishing early or at lunchtime, or like today in the evening.

At the end of the day, if the result is positive, it's going to be a beautiful day. And if it's not, well, too bad.

Q. You regard Almagro as one of the three players who could win against you on clay?

RAFAEL NADAL: One out of the three or four, yes, absolutely.

Source: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2008-06-01/200806011212348645015.html

MariaV
06-02-2008, 08:39 AM

:rolls: :rolls: :rolls:
Rafa might beat The Head but I'm afraid The Skull is too much for him. :awww:
So there go my MIt points. :tears: :sobbing:

Aenea
06-02-2008, 09:14 PM
OOP June, 3

CHATRIER 14:00
1. Women's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Patty Schnyder (SUI)[10] v. Ana Ivanovic (SRB)[2]
2. Men's Singles - Qtr. Finals
Nicolas Almagro (ESP)[19] v. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Happy birthday, Rafa! :dance: Good luck tomorrow. :D
Vamos.

NaDALiTa
06-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Feliz Cumple Rafa!!!suerte suerte pa' mañana!!

TMJordan
06-03-2008, 02:12 AM
Feliz Cumple Rafa!!!suerte suerte pa' mañana!!

Yeah! :D

Go Rafa :bigclap: Do us all proud :bigclap:

Metis
06-03-2008, 04:16 AM
Things are starting to get interesting in the MIT competition now. :unsure:

1st –
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
SF - yana
W- Blaze-2004, cmurray, elessar, Foxy, Getta, GuiroNl, hra87, Luvyoyoma1954, MariaV, M.C., NaDALiTa, nashty, rafa_maniac, raven_gypsy, scarecrows, spriwi, tangerine dream, tennischeto, Tess Gray, TMJordan, Tnn74, Xoman

There could be 3 winners tomorrow, two of them winning points for the 1st time. :eek: My feelings about that possibility:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x155/infotechman/GAF/omg-do-not-want.jpg

Metis
06-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Nadal-Almagro 6-1 6-1 6-1 triple breadstick :eek:

1st –
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
SF - yana

For acionescu, l_mac and Metis, one word:

http://www.papygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/fail.jpg

l_mac
06-03-2008, 04:46 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo:

What a demolition :lol:

I wil now start being scared that Rafa hasn't been tested enough. FutureGOAT will be tough. :sad:

yana winning MIT FO will annoy me muchly :mad:

NaDALiTa
06-03-2008, 05:51 PM
http://www.destores.com/weeklydeals/images/3-breadsticks.gif

Bon appétit! :hatoff:

Aenea
06-03-2008, 06:10 PM
That score line is unbelievable for a SF match at a GS :eek:
I couldn't watch it but judging by the outcome it has been a one-sided affair. And I though this was going to be a very close match. What happened out there? Almagro did not play well, did carry an injury or Rafa was too good? I'm surprised Rafa's winning that easy so far. Only Bellucci has put a fight.
Anyway a win is a win. :D

Go, Rafa :rocker2: good luck

MariaV
06-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Yana will clearly be the winner. :worship: :bowdown:

OK here's the transcript. Our angel. :angel:

Q. I think a lot of us have come here today expecting to stay around for a bit more than one hour and 44 minutes with you and Nicolas. Why do you think it was over so quickly?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think before the match, well, going to be very tough match, no, because Nico, he has a very good serve. Well, very good backhand, very good forehand. Only thing is the movement a little bit, no?

Center court here is not easy. Always there is some wind, the wind is changing, and the court is very big. So, well, if you are not playing a lot of times there it's difficult to adapt in the beginning, no?

But anyway, I think I played a very complete match. He has a lot of mistakes, that's for sure. But anyway, I start the match playing well, having the control of the point with the forehand, and touching better the ball with the backhand.

So the most important thing I think was the forehand. Today I feel better the ball.

Q. Are you playing against the contemporary players, or you're playing against the history and Bjørn Borg, who lost only 32 games in '78? You lost 25 until today. So you can lose only seven games the next two matches. Did you know that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is not 100% sure (laughter.) For sure I going ‑‑ I am playing against the opponent. Almagro today, Djokovic next round.

Anyway, going to be very tough match in semifinals. Djokovic is playing very well, so I have to play my best if I want to be in this final, no?

Q. How would you rate how you're playing here this year? Is this the best you've played on clay?

RAFAEL NADAL: You know, it is a little bit strange, this tournament, no? The center court always is a little bit difficult have the best feeling, because it's very big. There is a lot of wind there, and sometimes it's not easy play. Well, not easy have the best feeling.

But, you know, I am improving all the week during the tournament. I play better and better every match, and sure today was my best match in the tournament. Hope continuing play better.

Q. And can you compare your quality...

RAFAEL NADAL: It's impossible to compare. I didn't remember. I didn't remember last years, so...

It very difficult compare. Every year you have a different feeling. I think I am better player right now than before, because I have more options to do, no?

I have one, the slice. I improve it a lot in the last year. I have more things to do in the match, no? More options.

Q. So far you have played relatively easy matches. Relatively. But you seem very concentrated on each point as if you wanted to win really each point. The fact that you might win like Borg four times in a row, is it a plus motivation? Is it at some times a stress for you? It doesn't matter? How do you see it?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am concentrate always. Focus every point. But every tournament I am like this, no? Nothing special for here. The other question was?

Q. Borg. He won four times in a row.

RAFAEL NADAL: That doesn't matter. It's no more motivation for me. For me, the only motivation is play good here and try to win title here in Roland Garros.

The rest? Well, we going to see later, no? But my motivation is play here the best tournament of the world on clay, no?

Q. Because we write and we don't play, it's hard to know what happens to a player's body after 10 or 11 or 12 days at this tournament. Even if the matches are short, can you help us understand what happens to a player's body, his legs, shoulders, as the tournament wears on and you've played four or five matches?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, in my case, this year don't happen nothing, no? I didn't play really tough matches, so I am in semifinals probably ‑‑ the time when I am winning semifinals of Grand Slams easier, no?

I don't lose a set. I only arrive to 7‑5 in the first match. So physically it is impossible to have big problem, no? I feel good, and, well, right now I going to be two days off. Three days in a row before; right now, two days off.

So this tournament is a little bit strange for the rain, you know? It's not normal a lot of rain here in Roland Garros. Well, I feel 100% good, no? No problems.

Q. Happy birthday.

RAFAEL NADAL: Thank you.

Q. You're a huge favorite here, and the favorite is not always the best loved by the public. Sometimes the favorite is booed in every match, but that's not the case with you. You're very well‑loved here. Does that mean something to you? Does it mean a lot to you to have won over this country and these fans, or do you think you could play even if they were against you?

RAFAEL NADAL: I lost... (Translation in Spanish.) Well, I feel very good here, no? The true is the public was very nice during all the tournament, so just I can say thanks very much to the French people.

Not only here at Roland Garros. When I am playing in France, in Marseilles, in Paris, in Bercy, always the people are nice with me, so I just can say thanks.

Q. From the outside, this tournament has looked like it's very calm for you.

Q. Very calm, no problems. Do you feel calm inside, or is a Grand Slam always tense?

RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't feel calm, no? I have the same pression like everybody. I feel nervous before the match always. The results was calm, but the feeling not. :angel:

Q. If you had to name a favorite for the semifinal against Djokovic, would you be happy saying that you're the favorite?

RAFAEL NADAL: Up to you. I not going to say nothing who is the favorite, no? I think it's open match. We had very tough match in Hamburg two weeks ago, so anything can happen.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in Spanish now, please.

Q. I just wanted to ask you if you had the feeling that the more people know you because we come from the same country, but would you say that your opponents are a bit shy against you?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't think so. For both of us today the two other Spaniards played a very beautiful tournament. Fernando in round of 16; Nico, quarterfinal.

I'm not saying everything was fine for him, but the pressure is not exactly the same. At the end of the day things add up to one another. He had never played on the central court. This is a difficult court to play and he was playing me, and it's true that this was probably my best match so far in the tournament.

So at the end of the day, it was quite logical the result was what it was. So, you know, it's just one of those days. It's not because they're Spanish that they respect me more or that they feel more shy. No, not at all. It's just the opposite.

Q. What do you expect for your next match against Djokovic? Are you going to play in exactly the same way or more aggressive?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I hope it's going to be like the last time, especially if I win. But I know it's going to be a difficult match. He is very good so far this year. He plays at a very high level, but I also play well.

I reached the semifinals of a Grand Slam tournament. I played very good tournament on clay, but so did he. Anything can happen.

I'm aware of the fact that if I'm not playing at 100% it's going to be very difficult for me to win this match, so I need to play at 100%.

Q. Djokovic wins very often, but he has more tight results, and you've won very easily.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, reaching the semifinal having been submitted to more pressure, having won more points can be positive. Having won easily, then maybe you've never experienced pressure or tension, which doesn't mean I don't play well. I play in a very consistent fashion.

But I think, you know, this is just talk, talk, talk. What is important is play well on the court on Friday, and we'll see who wins. It can be one or the other. We're used to coping with pressure, with tension. We're used to playing these matches, and it's going to be a difficult match for both of us.

Q. You're talking about the central court, and you told us what it means for some players to play on the central court, to play here in the Philippe Chatrier Court, and you say it can be impressive for them. You didn't feel the same thing, did you? At least we didn't notice that. What attitude should a player have coming to play on such a court?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I have no advice to give. I'm not the one. I think all of us have an experience of playing on central court, and I was not referring to his behavior attitude, no? All I said was that the court is difficult, not just because it's impressive.

There are many people. The Philippe Chatrier Court is a court which is a legend, and it's big. But most of all, the way it's oriented has an impact on the game, because the game ‑‑ you're far from the ball.

The ball would go very deep, and it bounces up, and distances are more difficult to manage for me.

Q. Playing Djokovic is always difficult and dangerous. On clay you have an added value, so you walk on the court knowing that you have an advantage as compared to other surfaces.

RAFAEL NADAL: As I said, all matches are different and open. This is what we saw in Hamburg. Of course, I prefer playing on clay in the semifinal rather than playing on hard surfaces, but he can play very beautiful tennis on clay.

He won at Rome; semifinal in Hamburg; semifinal in Monaco, and he lost to me or to Federer. He also reached the semifinal here in Paris. That's the second time in a row, so he's a very good player on clay, quite clearly.

Q. How much influence do you have over your opponents when you walk on the court?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't have a clue. Ask them this question.

Honestly, I have enough focusing on myself. I don't want to think about the others.

Q. Is the dream script of Roland Garros about to be achieved? And you might tell me we need to talk about it more on Friday.

RAFAEL NADAL: A script, a scenario? I don't think there was one. It's you, all of you guys who thought the three same guys would be there again this year. It's true. We're still here. Federer still has to play his quarterfinal.

But to me, there is no such thing as a prewritten script before the tournament starts, and anything can happen before any match.

You never know if you'll make it to the semifinal, final, and win. This is something that we all have in mind. We all know that.

Q. I'd like to know if all these questions you're asked about Borg, a player you've never met because you were not born when he was playing, is it annoying? One more question about Borg. Do you know him? Have you seen him play on tele?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know how old he was when he stopped playing.

Q. He won from '77 till '81, and he won four consecutive finals and two finals before that.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I was born in '86, no? No, I understand your question. But everybody's talking about Borg as if he was somebody from another planet all together. But Borg was Borg. He was not any different. I think when he was walking on the court, everybody felt he would never lose.

Now, comparing myself to Borg, I mean, how could I dare do that? He was one of the top three players in all the history of tennis. Thank you very much. That's very kind of you comparing me to such a huge player.

But, no, I never saw Borg playing. I can't have any ideas about Borg. I've seen a few points on grass at Wimbledon, always when it's raining in Wimbledon, by the way. And I saw a program the other day. There was a program about Borg on Spanish TV, and I could see a few points he scored against Lendl in the fifth set, and that's all I saw about Borg on clay.

Now, on grass, I know him because we see his matches in Wimbledon, and it rains a lot in Wimbledon.

Q. After this last match, is there anything you're not 100% happy with in your game you'd like to improve?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I was delighted with my forehand today, and I'm improving on my backhand. It's not the best feeling I had in all my life, but I'm quite happy.

I served better today than I did the other day, but there was a lot of wind, and I was not all that coordinated because of the wind. But I have two days ahead of me to prepare.

As for my serve, all I need to do is practice. I should have a very good serve for my next match, so I hope.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2008-06-03/200806031212511702204.html (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2008-06-03/200806031212511702204.html)

elessar
06-03-2008, 07:28 PM
That score line is unbelievable for a SF match at a GS :eek:
That's because it was only a QF :kiss:

elessar
06-03-2008, 07:28 PM
BTW Metis nice pics :rolls:

acionescu
06-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Nadal-Almagro 6-1 6-1 6-1 triple breadstick :eek:

For acionescu, l_mac and Metis, one word:

http://www.papygeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/fail.jpg

She's so mean! :sobbing: I know I failed miserabily but...Bush? :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: Metis, don't you have a nice kitten photo for my failure? :kiss:

Metis
06-03-2008, 09:54 PM

Thanks! I like the framed photo of Tony Blair in the background. :D

She's so mean! :sobbing: I know I failed miserabily but...Bush? :bigcry: :bigcry: :bigcry: Metis, don't you have a nice kitten photo for my failure? :kiss:

We can't have kitties all the time; people will get bored. :shrug: Besides I think it was fair since the photo was dedicated to myself too. I'll look for something better next time you lose. :p

Aenea
06-04-2008, 12:15 PM
That's because it was only a QF :kiss:

:o

Well I could start my own excuse book here and blame it on the semester about to finish and all the tests in that last week, upcoming exams, excitement etc. but the truth is I made a mistake. Yeah of course that was the QF but even for a QF that scoreline is somehow ridiculous these days.
Funny that most sport sites I went through lately are writing about the upcoming "dream SF" Rafa-Novak and no one mentions a possible "dream SF" on Roger's half? :awww:

Xoman
06-04-2008, 01:01 PM

Well I could start my own excuse book here and blame it on the semester about to finish and all the tests in that last week, upcoming exams, excitement etc. but the truth is I made a mistake. Yeah of course that was the QF but even for a QF that scoreline is somehow ridiculous these days.
Funny that most sport sites I went through lately are writing about the upcoming "dream SF" Rafa-Novak and no one mentions a possible "dream SF" on Roger's half? :awww:

True. And I hope is David Ferrer playing against Federer (or Gonzalez, I don't care ;-). But if it is Federer, I hope that David Ferrer wins that semifinal. It will be a little favor to Nadal to achieve #1 ranking later in the year. Go David!! So for me R Federer - D Ferrer is a "dream SF". The press may not see it that way, but the press can go and screw themselves.

Actually, I recall reading some Tennis guru in the US saying that he forecast the SF to be RG vs David Ferrer (if Federer gets there) and that David will win. This is right after the draw came out. I hope it becomes true.

elessar
06-04-2008, 11:52 PM

Don't worry I get it :lol: and you're right :)

Actually, I recall reading some Tennis guru in the US saying that he forecast the SF to be RG vs David Ferrer (if Federer gets there) and that David will win. This is right after the draw came out. I hope it becomes true.
Jon Wertheim :worship: unlike him to get a prediction wrong :awww:

Come on Rafa destroy the evil one tomorrow :rocker2:

NaDALiTa
06-04-2008, 11:56 PM
they play on Friday no?

elessar
06-05-2008, 12:05 AM
Yes but it's already past midnight :p

l_mac
06-05-2008, 12:21 AM
^^ :lol:

Rafa :sad: I bet he's lost the great rythm he was into because of the extra day off. Stupid scheduling :o

Metis
06-05-2008, 12:58 AM
^^^ Add to that the fact that it will be raining on Friday... heavy conditions, lower bounce etc... :sad:

I bet they will schedule Federer-Monfils first, Federer will thrash Monfils in 90 minutes and then it will start raining; the 2nd SF will be postponed till Saturday, it will last 5 hours plus some rain delays and if Rafito wins he will be too knackered on Sunday...

See, I can do pessimistic too. I think I got everything covered :haha:

l_mac
06-05-2008, 01:51 AM
^^^ Add to that the fact that it will be raining on Friday... heavy conditions, lower bounce etc... :sad:

I bet they will schedule Federer-Monfils first, Federer will thrash Monfils in 90 minutes and then it will start raining; the 2nd SF will be postponed till Saturday, it will last 5 hours plus some rain delays and if Rafito wins he will be too knackered on Sunday...

I can totally see that happening.

And then when a Rafatard says on the match thread "It's a shame Rafa didn't have much recovery time after the semi" the Super Tag team of Merton and stebs will swoop in with the "Time Spent On Court" statistics and relentlessly use the hours accrued in reaching the semis as reason for Rafa not to be tired even though he played for 6 hours the day before the Final :retard:

See, I can go a step further, already getting prepared for the inevitable bashing that will take place :cool:

I'm always ready to go straight onto the defensive, all the while knowing I can switch to offense in the blink of an eye. :rocker2:

hra87
06-05-2008, 03:07 AM

And then when a Rafatard says on the match thread "It's a shame Rafa didn't have much recovery time after the semi" the Super Tag team of Merton and stebs will swoop in with the "Time Spent On Court" statistics and relentlessly use the hours accrued in reaching the semis as reason for Rafa not to be tired even though he played for 6 hours the day before the Final :retard:

See, I can go a step further, already getting prepared for the inevitable bashing that will take place :cool:

I'm always ready to go straight onto the defensive, all the while knowing I can switch to offense in the blink of an eye. :rocker2:

Yeah, I can see that happening too, and then Rafa beating Fed in 3 comfortable sets. :mad:

GuiroNl
06-05-2008, 08:58 AM
Can anyone translate Rafa's latest blog entries please?

For some reason his team doesn't translate the blog anymore and I can't read Spanish, so any help would be appreciated.

MariaV
06-05-2008, 09:12 AM
Can anyone translate Rafa's latest blog entries please?

For some reason his team doesn't translate the blog anymore and I can't read Spanish, so any help would be appreciated.

:confused: Rafa's blog is translated on vamosbrigade.com.

Girls, Djoker will trash Rafa in 3 under 2 hours whether on Friday or Saturday doesn't matter, and then march on to the Golden Slam. :shrug:

GuiroNl
06-05-2008, 09:26 AM
Thanks Maria. Did not know that :)

elessar
06-05-2008, 03:45 PM

See, I can do pessimistic too. I think I got everything covered :haha:

A shame Djoko-Rafa is the first match on Chatrier on friday :sad:

l_mac
06-05-2008, 03:55 PM

Good.

Now I'l know who to cheer for in the 2nd semi :D

elessar
06-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Unacceptable :ras:

l_mac
06-05-2008, 04:00 PM
Unacceptable :ras:

I'm kidding anyway.

It's unthinkable to root for Monfils :lol:

tennizen
06-05-2008, 04:01 PM

:lol: It will be really nice to know who to cheer for in the second semi:)

elessar
06-05-2008, 04:03 PM
I'm kidding anyway.

It's unthinkable to root for Monfils :lol:
I prefer that :(
The match will start earlier too (1 PM)

MariaV
06-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Oh dear, oh dear I'm sooooo nervous already. :scared: :unsure: I hope I won't end up jumping off the cliff with FedFan_2007 after Sunday. ;)
And I don't know whether to try to come home for the match tomorrow or drown myself in work. :o

NaDALiTa
06-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Rafa has 3 hours to kick Nole's ass,I have a driving lesson at 4pm!!!If Rafa looses i'll crash into everyone crossing my road :fiery: :fiery: Venga!

yana
06-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Rafa has 3 hours to kick Nole's ass,I have a driving lesson at 4pm!!!If Rafa looses i'll crash into everyone crossing my road :fiery: :fiery: Venga!

Vamos Rafitito tomorrow! I so wanna see you play Gael on sunday :worship:

Aenea
06-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Vamos, Rafa!! :bigclap:

Best of luck tomorrow! :)

Metis
06-05-2008, 08:36 PM

:worship:

Yeah, I can see that happening too, and then Rafa beating Fed in 3 comfortable sets. :mad:

if only... :sad:

Girls, Djoker will trash Rafa in 3 under 2 hours whether on Friday or Saturday doesn't matter, and then march on to the Golden Slam.

:sobbing:

:fiery: This displeases me because (a) my senario is wrong, (b) no live coverage for the 1st SF. :mad:

Now I'l know who to cheer for in the 2nd semi :D

:lol: It will be really nice to know who to cheer for in the second semi:)

:rolls: good point!

Oh dear, oh dear I'm sooooo nervous already. :scared: :unsure: I hope I won't end up jumping off the cliff with FedFan_2007 after Sunday. ;)
And I don't know whether to try to come home for the match tomorrow or drown myself in work. :o

At least you have a choice.

NBC, I HOPE YOU GO BANKRUPT!! :mad:

Tnn74
06-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Good Luck Rafa! :hug:
go re-live your glory!!! :bounce:

Xoman
06-06-2008, 02:02 PM
:)

Well I am here at home, working from home while watching the SF on TV. Nadal is destroying Djoker, 6-4, 6-2 and 2-0 and breakpoints.

I think that Novak is mentally defeated now.

Metis
06-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Nadal-Djokovic 6-4 6-2 7-6 :woohoo:

Keeping the No2 ranking and moving to a 4th RG final :dance:

1st –
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
SF - yana

yana you lose :ras:

http://thecraptastics.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/fail.jpg

tennizen :armed: wildegirl05 :armed:

GuiroNl
06-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Go get your fourth title on Sunday Rafa!

zirosky
06-06-2008, 03:54 PM
training

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/th_DSC00500copia.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/DSC00500copia.jpg)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/th_DSC00501copia.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/DSC00501copia.jpg)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/th_DSC00502copia.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/DSC00502copia.jpg)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/th_DSC00503copia.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/DSC00503copia.jpg)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/th_DSC00504copia.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/DSC00504copia.jpg)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/th_DSC00505copia.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/DSC00505copia.jpg)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/th_DSC00506copia.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/DSC00506copia.jpg)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/th_DSC00507copia.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/DSC00507copia.jpg)
http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/th_DSC00508copia.jpg (http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m313/zirosky/Roland%20Garros%202008/Rafael%20Nadal/DSC00508copia.jpg)

Aenea
06-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Thank you, zirosky, but there is a pic thread here. If you have any other pictures, post them there. :)

Congrats, Rafa!!:bigclap:
I'm so happy you won today and in straights. Awesome!! :hearts:
Vamos.

Rafa said in his post match on-court interview he was surprised when Djoko upped his game in the 3rd set and this lead to the TB. I hope for Sunday he stays focused the entire match and does not drop level.

tennizen
06-06-2008, 06:38 PM
I will kick myself if my MIT prediction comes true.

hra87
06-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I will kick myself if my MIT prediction comes true.

There's little chance of that happening, fortunately.

I'm still really pissed off that Novak didn't get served a bakery product in that last set. It would have been so much funnier.

PS: where can I find Rafa's blog outside of his own website which is not at all up-to-date?

yana
06-06-2008, 07:57 PM
yana you lose :ras:

tennizen :armed: wildegirl05 :armed:

Fedtards :ras:

raven gypsy
06-06-2008, 08:15 PM
Rafa:

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/4199/wecanqt0.jpg
By woa (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/woa) at 2008-06-06

And by "we", of course I mean "you" ;)

NaDALiTa
06-06-2008, 08:20 PM
What a spanking!!!!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: I arrived late to my driving lessons but it worthed it :woohoo: :woohoo:

tangerine_dream
06-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Aww, yana gets the cute doggy fail. :hearts:

That SF was a bit disappointing, I didn't think Novak would be that nervous. Big hat, no cattle syndrome. ;) Rafa's just on another planet. I really don't see how a less-than-convincing Roger will beat him (as some of the tardos think). Even if he takes a set, Rafa's strength is that he's slow and steady throughout four, five set matches.

Rafa is thisclose to attaining Borgian status! Good luck in the final, let's go Rafa! :bigclap:

MariaV
06-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks Tangy! :wavey:
Oh, that's gonna be another great final. :D
Sorry about the MIT loss Oana! :hug: :hug:

Tnn74
06-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Another Fedal Sunday...
Congratulations Rafa for that spanking on fakevic!
was playing safe at the end there and almost gave
away the 3rd set! :shrug: but he got it done! Now
keep that level and go tie Borg! :hug:

Aenea
06-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Best of luck in the final tomorrow, Rafa!! :) :hearts:

Rog1
06-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Best of luck in the final tomorrow, Rafa!! :) :hearts:

What a superb performance Rafa gave against Novak. Just hope he will play as well when he meets Roger which is in a way a weird thing for me to say because I love Roger too. Oh well. LOL

Vamos

Linda (Luton-UK)

nashty
06-07-2008, 11:28 AM
VAMOS RAFA! Let's win this thing! Please Raf! YOU CAN DO IT! (just don't humiliate Fed that much though.;))

I would love to see you biting your 4th RG trophy. (and of course, MIT points for me, please.) VAMOS!!!!!

MariaV
06-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Ready for tomorrow's final? :wavey: Rafa's presser from today.

Day 14 - An interview with Rafael Nadal day 14 - Saturday, June 7, 2008

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English.

Q. How are you preparing for what is a very important match?

RAFAEL NADAL: The true? Nothing. I practice normal, like every day: one hour, and then a little bit more. Nothing special. For sure is important match, but the true is it's another match. The day before is same, like every day off.

Q. You said you're very pleased with the way you've been playing during the tournament. Do you think you can continue that level of excellence?

RAFAEL NADAL: I was very happy about my game yesterday, no? The other days I improving every day a little bit. That's important, always, playing better every day, no?

I don't know tomorrow what can I do, no? I going to try my best, but every match is different.

Q. I think the conventional wisdom is Roger is going to change up some tactics from prior years. I think yesterday he took some 60 some odd net approaches. What are you expecting tactically from him tomorrow?

RAFAEL NADAL: (Spanish.) Well, I don't know what he going to do, no? When you play against Roger you can't imagine anything. He's a very complete player. He has all the shots, so everything can do.

But I expect a very tough match, and for sure I think he going to try to play aggressive.

Q. He said going out second yesterday he got to watch some of your match and sort of keep an eye on how you were playing and the score. Did you get to see any of him yesterday?

RAFAEL NADAL: Of his match?

Q. Yeah.

RAFAEL NADAL: I saw a little bit, yes.

Q. Bjørn Borg said Roger Federer change way of playing since last year. Do you think he's changing?

RAFAEL NADAL: Ask him if he's changing, no? I don't know. I am not focus on Roger every match, no? It's difficult to say if he's changing or not, no?

I think it's difficult to change lot of things when we are speaking about No. 1 by far the last four years. So when one player is almost perfect, it's very difficult to change a lot of things, no?

Q. Do you feel any different from the last years before this final? Is anything different, or is everything the same all the years you go to the final?

RAFAEL NADAL: Every year is different, no? That's the true. And I don't know. I very happy for be in final. You know, the day before I always a little bit nervous, but not ‑‑ every year different, but not very different in feelings. Similar.

THE MODERATOR: Spanish questions.

Q. A few minutes ago, Bjørn Borg was sitting in this room. We had a long press conference, and he said he was following you and your career, and that you were one of the players that gave him reasons to watch tournaments, to watch them on TV. Would you say you have great respect for Borg and these words have an impact on you? Is it encouraging for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, it's always wonderful when a player like Borg says nice things about me. But as I said, I think I have great respect for many people in the world, especially for good people.

And talking about tennis, of course I have great respect for Borg. How could it be otherwise? I don't know if he was the best player in the history of tennis, but when we talk about Borg, he seems to be somebody apart from the others.

He also was one of the guys who brought many innovations to the game. He started playing topspin shots, and he brought many new things to the game.

Q. Following on this question, he says that if somebody can win Wimbledon against Federer, he says you can. You played a beautiful final, and that you could have won. The match was very close. Other people would think that you're basically a clay court player. What would you say?

RAFAEL NADAL: When people say positive things about you it's always good. It shows that you're doing something good. So I'd like to thank Borg for everything he says about me. :D :angel:

Now, for those who think I'm just a clay player means that they're not watching the other tournaments.

Q. Yesterday you said there is no such thing as a tactic in soccer. In basketball, players talk to their coach and they design a tactic. You say you have no tactics for a match as important as the one tomorrow, so that's quite surprising.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I'm not saying there is no tactic. I'm saying we all play the game we can play, and we play ‑‑ well, we play the way we can play. Now, of course I'm not saying there is no tactics. Of course you sometimes have to adapt your game to your opponent.

I will probably try and attack him on his backhand, play longer shots, et cetera. But you don't want to be just focused on that, because that's also a means to lose a point. You want to take the lead and lead 3‑1 so that he starts feeling uncomfortable.

Tennis, it's different from a team sport. It's an individual sport, and things are easier because you're alone on the court. There are not many things that you need to invent, because it's quite simple as a sport.

Q. You said you've not had time to follow Federer much along this season.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, this is not what I said. What I said is that you thought that I watched all Federer's matches since the very first day, which is not the case. And I don't think he does the same for my matches.

Of course we think about each other, but, you know, during the first round, my first concern was about [] Belucci or whoever I was to play during the first round.

Q. What I wanted to say is, have you noticed that he changed something in his game on clay? Is he more patient? Is he more aggressive?

RAFAEL NADAL: Each of us has tried to improve what he needs to improve, and most of the time people from the outside can't see that. But he is probably trying new things. He is trying new things and trying to go beyond what he usually does, but it's difficult to assess from the outside.

Q. Who has evolved most on clay, Roger or you, over the last years?

RAFAEL NADAL: It's difficult to say who has evolved most on clay. I think we both evolved quite a lot. We're both better, and we play better tennis than during the first final we played. This is something I'm pretty sure of.

Now, each match is different. You know, there are moments when you're in great shape, moments when you don't play that well, moments when you play great, moments when you don't have much confidence.

There are others when you have huge confidence, and the one who wins is the one who feels most comfortable on the very day, especially on clay. It all depends on your level that day. Anything can happen.

Q. You were talking about your shots. Which of your shots are you most happy of this year?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the first round I was not pretty satisfied with anything. Little by little I managed to gain control over my forehand. As to my backhand, I think I improved it match after match.

For the rest I'm quite happy. I sometimes had to face difficult situations, especially on my serve. I'm quite good along the lines.

Q. Do you feel you're the favorite? You're playing against No. 1, but you've won three times in a row, and this is your fourth final.

RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, you like asking about who is the favorite. I don't feel I'm the favorite. I don't believe in favorites. I think the favorite is the one who can hold the trophy tomorrow, and then the rest doesn't matter. Who's a favorite? Him? Me? I don't care.

Favorite is the one who will play better on the court tomorrow, and the rest are just words and words. I don't think there can be any favorite in such a final.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2008-06-07/200806071212852438152.html (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2008-06-07/200806071212852438152.html)

Tnn74
06-07-2008, 09:05 PM
Sweet Rafa, always so gracious :hug:

also, guys, has anyone heard what the "insightful" Bud Collins'
predictions were...? :ras: I try not to read but its hard not to...
he is such a jinx :scared: Anyway, good luck Rafa! you're a
Clay God; go establish that status for one more match!!! :bounce:

Getta
06-07-2008, 10:07 PM
"Now, for those who think I'm just a clay player means that they're not watching other tournaments".

AND

Oh, you like asking about who is the favorite. I don't feel I'm the favorite. I don't believe in favorites. I think the favorite is the one who can hold the trophy tomorrow, and then the rest doesn't matter. Who's a favorite? Him? Me? I don't care".

Until now, I was thinking that Rafa was humble. I was wrong. He strongly believes in himself and perfectly knows his stature is well-confirmed. At the same time he neither underestimates his opponent nor neglects the unpredictable factors that might be involved during a match.
I would say Rafa's psyche is a canvas of unbelievable self-confidence where he embroiders with strong threads. Threads that only a maturely intelligent man could choose to use.

Linda, who told you that Rafa is stupid? :scratch:

Thanks, Maria. :hatoff:

spriwi
06-08-2008, 01:08 AM
rafa :rocker2:

4th straight title waiting there for you :D

Xoman
06-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Hello everybody :wavey:

Today is the day. Prepare your favorite chair and your favorite summer drinks and ... Enjoy.

I say that Nadal is going to trounce Federer "demolition style" in 3 sets: 6-3 6-2 6-2. i am amazed that tennis analysts and commentators don't realize that not only Federer has improved in clay but Nadal has improved even more his overall game. He is become stronger and more experienced. So barring any physical adversities (fingers cross, touch wood) Federer doesn't stand a chance. :rocker2:

By the way, having mentioned "drinks" ... I just happened to notice that Stella Artois tournament is next and they already have published the draw and I haven't seen a thread about that next tournament. Who is in charge of opening new threads?

the_natural
06-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Hello everybody :wavey:

Today is the day. Prepare your favorite chair and your favorite summer drinks and ... Enjoy.

I say that Nadal is going to trounce Federer "demolition style" in 3 sets: 6-3 6-2 6-2. i am amazed that tennis analysts and commentators don't realize that not only Federer has improved in clay but Nadal has improved even more his overall game. He is become stronger and more experienced. So barring any physical adversities (fingers cross, touch wood) Federer doesn't stand a chance. :rocker2:

By the way, having mentioned "drinks" ... I just happened to notice that Stella Artois tournament is next and they already have published the draw and I haven't seen a thread about that next tournament. Who is in charge of opening new threads?

Fuck man I wish i had ur confidence, but what if this is where it all turns around for the swiss?? I mean horrible year doesnt look like winning a nother slam then bam outta nowhere beats rafa in the fo final?? and apparently hes been approaching the net a crazy amount of times and his serve is more effective on the clay than Noles has been so Rafa will definatley will be standing close to the linesman when returning and it gives the perfect chance to approach the net... and then when nole stepped up Rafa became a pussy and moved furhter and further back and droppde the ball shorter and shorter... depending on the conditions he could really lose this match if he doesnt come out 1000000% focused and ready to play hard... Fuckk Rafa please dont screw up man, be at ur best be focussed and dont just put the ball in play crosscourt to the backhand, do what you did against the likes of almagro... well everyone, but yeh almagro was a good match, move the bastard around catch him off guard, play on instinct, and dont give any ground, especially when he steps up his game and just plays nothing to lose tennis (which he does alot to scare off opponents) he will just go for every shot and make a few and then rafa moves back off the baseline to save more points and thats when he goes down 4-0 or watever and this time its happened that rafa has come back from 4-0 5-1 twice so i dont think the swiss will let go of his focus again if he builds another big lead like that....

Im worried i just get so fuckin nervous around this time, I really dont think federer has played well enough at all so far to beat rafa or even nole but far out it all looks like it might just work out perfectly for him.... and if the conditions are right for him too........ argghhhhhhhhh Please rafa go for the kill try to win in straights dont let it slip at all and dont let the pressure overwhelm you into being conservative like last years final!!!

Xoman
06-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Gosh,

You know guys (and girls) I am watching Eurosport and perusing the Federer threat. The comments I read and hear are priceless ... I am having such a laugh.

6-1 first set.

As one commentator said "the public is quiet, they fear a quick final" ;-)

Xoman
06-08-2008, 03:17 PM
Fuck man I wish i had ur confidence, but what if this is where it all turns around for the swiss?? I mean horrible year doesnt look like winning a nother slam then bam outta nowhere beats rafa in the fo final?? and apparently hes been approaching the net a crazy amount of times and his serve is more effective on the clay than Noles has been so Rafa will definatley will be standing close to the linesman when returning and it gives the perfect chance to approach the net... and then when nole stepped up Rafa became a pussy and moved furhter and further back and droppde the ball shorter and shorter... depending on the conditions he could really lose this match if he doesnt come out 1000000% focused and ready to play hard... Fuckk Rafa please dont screw up man, be at ur best be focussed and dont just put the ball in play crosscourt to the backhand, do what you did against the likes of almagro... well everyone, but yeh almagro was a good match, move the bastard around catch him off guard, play on instinct, and dont give any ground, especially when he steps up his game and just plays nothing to lose tennis (which he does alot to scare off opponents) he will just go for every shot and make a few and then rafa moves back off the baseline to save more points and thats when he goes down 4-0 or watever and this time its happened that rafa has come back from 4-0 5-1 twice so i dont think the swiss will let go of his focus again if he builds another big lead like that....

Im worried i just get so fuckin nervous around this time, I really dont think federer has played well enough at all so far to beat rafa or even nole but far out it all looks like it might just work out perfectly for him.... and if the conditions are right for him too........ argghhhhhhhhh Please rafa go for the kill try to win in straights dont let it slip at all and dont let the pressure overwhelm you into being conservative like last years final!!!

it is not really about confidence. It is just a sensible forecast based on what I have seen from them playing.
Looks like Federer is improving in the second set. We may get an interesting match after all instead of a 1-sided demolition.

Xoman
06-08-2008, 03:54 PM
nope ... Federer is fading again

6-1 6-3 3-0

Matt's comment: "This could be shortest RG final ever".

Wow, what a loop!

linus
06-08-2008, 04:07 PM
GOSH :worship:

Rafa, I love you :hearts:

King again :smoke:

Mimi
06-08-2008, 04:17 PM
:woohoo::woohoo::bowdown::haha::dance::yippee::yip pee::bigclap::music::rolls:

GuiroNl
06-08-2008, 04:18 PM
:haha::haha::haha:

Nadal obliterated him. Fantastic. I was waiting for this a couple of years now, Nadal just destroying Federer.
Great job champ.

Herdwick
06-08-2008, 04:20 PM
:worship::worship::worship: Rafa now wins by reputation alone on clay. Many many congrats.

Tnn74
06-08-2008, 04:28 PM
hahaha! first thing in the morning here and he hands Fed a bagel :lol:
Rafa, what a Clay God :worship: :worship: :worship: :woohoo:

Karin :hug: I know you love Fed but I can't lie...
I enjoyed this beat down tremendously :tape:

Metis
06-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Nadal-Federer 6-1 6-3 6-0 :worship: :worship: :worship:

What a beatdown :eek:

1st –
2nd -
3rd -
4th -
SF - yana

tennizen and wildegirl05 are the ecstatic losers:

http://blog.orly.ch/files/lolz-you-fail.jpg

Congrats to the even more ecstatic winners: Blaze-2004, cmurray, elessar, Foxy, Getta, GuiroNl, hra87, Luvyoyoma1954, MariaV, M.C., NaDALiTa, nashty, rafa_maniac, raven_gypsy, scarecrows, spriwi, tangerine dream, tennischeto, Tess Gray, TMJordan, Tnn74, Xoman :aparty:

You all get 200 :eek: points :lol:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/gwyn.jpg

Naide
06-08-2008, 04:32 PM
:hearts: simply unbelievable :worship:

nashty
06-08-2008, 04:46 PM
:woohoo: RAFA! :bowdown:

I never thought you'd win it that way. You made me feel so sorry for Fed. but still, I'm super happy that you've won. AGAIN.

VAMOS king of clay!