Andy will turn the Fed rivalry around. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy will turn the Fed rivalry around.

henree
07-05-2004, 07:56 AM
There were a few things I noticed about Roddick and Federer that indicate to me Roddick is almost ready to equalize their rivalry.

Roddick
The first thing I noticed was that Roddick is alot faster around the court than before. The 10lbs he lost has certainly paid off. Roddick got himself out of alot of trouble by not falling for Federer's rally tricks. Specifically going behind his opponents with forehand winners. Andy combatted this by not being so quick to to run to the center of the court. Leaving him the option of chasing down a potential down the line shot. Most players have the instinct to constantly scurry back to the center of the court after every shot.

Also Roddick has finally figured out that if you dictate and get the first strike in the rally, you can get the best of Federer. I have never seen someone so convincingly beating Federer in baseline rallies. This is probably the reason Fed starting Serve and Volleying toward the end of the 2nd set. Andy got the best of him in the majority of their baseline rallies. Who would of thought using power could unnerve Feder so much!

Roddick seemed fearless facing Federer's serve. Countless times I saw him during this match step in during Federers 1st and 2nd serve. This is a big step for Andy as well. He use to stand miles behind the baseline to recieve serves from most opponents. Roddick was hitting forehand winners off of Fed's 1st serves. Andy broke Federer 5 times, and stretched Fed to duece 11 times. Pretty descent stuff.

All in all I don't think Roddick expected to win this match. He came in guns blazing, but I think of this whole experience as a great measure of how far Andy's game has evolved over the past year. Andy is way off from playing at his ultimate peak. But he now has this match as a blueprint of how to play Federer in the future. Something tells me that their head to head will be equalized with in a year.

Pea
07-05-2004, 08:00 AM
I hope you figure out grass is alot different than other surfaces.:o

Fedex
07-05-2004, 08:02 AM
I hope he also realizes that Federer was no where near his best yesterday, but still found away to win :o

Fedex
07-05-2004, 08:05 AM
Roger never losses to anyone consistantly anymore, and he aint going to start losing to Pandy. I expect by the end of their Careers the 'rivalry' will be 15-1, or 15-2 to Fed, still! :p :) . Depends on how much they play. Andy is Roger's bitch, officialy, so get used to it.

henree
07-05-2004, 08:29 AM
Federer said it himself in his post match interview that he can't see what other parts of his game needs improvement other than his volleys. Roddick is clearly at 70%. And this match came down to playing the big points well. Roddick has come far, and 1 year from now, he will be ready to take Roger's Wimbledon crown. :wavey:

Pea
07-05-2004, 08:34 AM
hey hitchiker!:wavey:

WF4EVER
07-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Oh, I'm sure Andy can win more matches beside the one that he won. And that win was also when Roger wasn't playing near his best, yet it took Andy a third set tie-breaker to win that one two.

So he knows what he has to do if he wants to beat Federer now? Great. Can he do it for a whole match or just a set like he did in the final? If Roddick had kept up his first set play for three sets he would have swept the title from out of Roger's hands because Roger wasn't playing well at all. And I don't think him missing his backhands and forehands easily had much to do with the shot he received but perhaps his own nerves.

As Andy said, it won't be a rivalry if he doesn't score a few matches, something like Serena/Jen, who until recently have had some thrilling matches yet, same result.

Based on what we've seen Andy has to play out of his mind to beat a less-than-best Roger. I'm sure everybody has a lucky day. Roger had one yesterday, where he pulled out a huge victory that was slipping away, and amazingly for the way he was playing compared to Andy, in four sets.

Dirk
07-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Once Rogi started to hit more of his balls deeper into the baseline Andy's power game was thrown off. Rogi tends to hit too many short balls and since Andy stands back behind the baseline that gives him the chance to run up and smack those balls with his power for winners. I think that along with his S&V game is what got Rogi through and his terrific returning. Henree, Rogi said he has things to improve like his S&V game and his backhand. Rogi will only get better and stronger and smarter. Andy will improve as well but don't think Rogi is just going to stay at his current level. From now on Rogi will be aware of this new Gilbert plan to assault him. Rogi is well aware of players becoming more aggressive against him and he is planning ways to counter it. Rogi did have a patchy day yesterday but was able to pull out the win.

Action Jackson
07-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Who won the big points when it counted? Exactly, and as Roddick clearly said I have to start winning matches, before this is called a rivalry. He is trying his best and has improved I was impressed with the backhands from Roddick, but he still went hard after Federer, but couldn't bring it home, which shows how much more work he has to do.

Dirk
07-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Yep and next time Rogi will be ready for Andy's new attack plan. What if it fails again?? Do you think Gilbert and Andy's egos are big enough to live on the tour without the number one ranking??

Skyward
07-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Don't forget that Roger is winning slams without a coach. Sooner or later he will find someone who will be able to bring new ideas and tactics.
Roger said that he'd hire a coach to improve his game, not just for travelling.

CarnivalCarnage
07-05-2004, 02:41 PM
Roger said, Roger said.

I hope he never hires another coach. Do it yourself, boy!

RogiFan88
07-05-2004, 02:43 PM
...If Roddick had kept up his first set play for three sets he would have swept the title from out of Roger's hands because Roger wasn't playing well at all. And I don't think him missing his backhands and forehands easily had much to do with the shot he received but perhaps his own nerves.

As Andy said, it won't be a rivalry if he doesn't score a few matches, ...

Based on what we've seen Andy has to play out of his mind to beat a less-than-best Roger. I'm sure everybody has a lucky day. Roger had one yesterday, where he pulled out a huge victory that was slipping away, and amazingly for the way he was playing compared to Andy, in four sets.

V true what you said here! Pandy himself knows it isn't a true rivalry... even tho the dorks on ESPN and NBC keep going on and on ad nauseum... :rolleyes: I was a little surprised that Pandy could not keep up his powerful level fr the 1st set tho... usually he hangs in there to win but then again he WAS up a set... and Rogi doesn't lose too many first sets lately.

Not the best Final but it had its moments!

The best was Rogi prevailing!! :worship:

RogiFan88
07-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Who won the big points when it counted? Exactly, and as Roddick clearly said I have to start winning matches, before this is called a rivalry. He is trying his best and has improved I was impressed with the backhands from Roddick, but he still went hard after Federer, but couldn't bring it home, which shows how much more work he has to do.

well said!

Perhaps Rogi can just have a coach for the clay season, esp RG [Rafter used to have a coach for slams]... he doesn't need one full-time... like Juanqui could use a p/t one for grass and Wimby! ;)

Skyward
07-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Roger said, Roger said.

I hope he never hires another coach. Do it yourself, boy!

I hope he never hires a BAD coach.

Action Jackson
07-05-2004, 02:54 PM

There won't be a problem with that. The two previous coaches he has had, laid great foundations for him to progress to what we are seeing now.

WyveN
07-05-2004, 03:13 PM
Something tells me that their head to head will be equalized with in a year.

I think what is telling you that is your imagination as I doubt Roddick and Federer will even play each other 5 times over the next year.

You made a few good points but saying Federer can not improve is very silly, he has indicated he can improve his backhand and his serve-volley which will make him far tougher to beat on grass.
Federer took away some of the advantage he had over the field by not taking full advantage of his volley skills and I think that is because he has neglected the volley aspect of his game over the last 12 months. He talks about being scared about opponents returns but when you are not coming in to the net against Ivo Karlovic something is wrong.

Roddick had a great game plan yesterday and was certainly unlucky not to take it to the 5th set but it is hard to dispute that Federer was the better player overall despite it obviously not being one of his better matches of this tournament, whether that was due to Roddick, I am not certain.

RonE
07-05-2004, 03:36 PM
I don't know if Andy can turn his h2h against Fed into a winning record, but from what we've seen he definitely has the ability to make the matches between them very close.

Even though Fedrer does have a 6-1 record against him, remember that every time they played each other they played one tie-break in every match- and the person who won the tie-break went on to win the match. So even though Fed is winning them, it's still a lot closer than it appears on paper. It's just such a tribute to Federer that he is able to hang in there mentally and come out the stronger.

In a way, this rivalry kind of reminds me of Sampras vs. Courier- Jim usually made it tough for Pete. In a way, his game is a bit similair to Roddick's- big serve, big forehand, but a slow-motion version. Like Andy against Roger, Jim hung tough against Pete in many of their matches but still came up short, due to the greater variety of Pete's game and his superior mental stamina. In that sense their is quite a lot of similarity with Roddick and Federer.

Just for the record, the Sampras-Courier rivalry finished at 16-4 in Pete's favour, and if you'll look at the scores you will see many of them have been pretty close matches:

1999 Key Biscayne, Hard, R64
FL, U.S.A Hard R64 Sampras 6 3 7 6

1997 Rome, Clay, R64
Italy Clay R64 Courier 6 7 4 6

1996 Roland Garros, Clay, Q
France Clay Q Sampras 6 7 4 6 6 4 6 4 6 4

1995 Paris Indoor, Carpet, S
France Carpet S Sampras 6 4 3 6 6 3

1995 Essen, Carpet, Q
Germany Carpet Q Sampras 6 2 7 6

1995 US Open, Hard, S
NY, U.S.A. Hard S Sampras 7 5 4 6 6 4 7 5

1995 Australian Open, Hard, Q
Australia Hard Q Sampras 6 7 6 7 6 3 6 4 6 3

1994 Roland Garros, Clay, Q
France Clay Q Courier 4 6 7 5 4 6 4 6

1994 Key Biscayne, Hard, S
FL, U.S.A. Hard S Sampras 6 4 7 6

1994 Australian Open, Hard, S
Australia Hard S Sampras 6 3 6 4 6 4

1993 Wimbledon, Grass, F
England Grass F Sampras 7 6 7 6 3 6 6 3

1993 Hong Kong, Hard, F
Hong Kong Hard F Sampras 6 3 6 7 7 6

1992 Singles Championship, Carpet, S
Germany Carpet S Courier 6 7 6 7

1992 US Open, Hard, S
NY, U.S.A. Hard S Sampras 6 1 3 6 6 2 6 2

1992 Indianapolis, Hard, F
IN, U.S.A. Hard F Sampras 6 4 6 4

1991 Singles Championship, Carpet, F
Germany Carpet F Sampras 3 6 7 6 6 3 6 4

1991 US Open, Hard, Q
NY, U.S.A. Hard Q Courier 2 6 6 7 6 7

1991 Indianapolis, Hard, S
IN, U.S.A. Hard S Sampras 6 3 7 6

1991 Cincinnati, Hard, S
OH, U.S.A. Hard S Sampras 6 2 7 5

1988 Scottsdale, Hard, R32
AZ, U.S.A. Hard R32 Sampras 6 3 6 1

Action Jackson
07-05-2004, 04:13 PM
I used to enjoy the Sampras V Courier matches, which was the match where Pete cried and Gullikson had been admitted to hospital? he turned the match around and showed real bravery. 1995 or 1996 I cant remember which.

It was in the Australian Open where that happened.

As I said before and as Roddick said it's still not a rivalry yet. He will get some wins, though I would like to see them play on clay, the thing is Roddick would have to win matches first on the surface for that to happen.

RonE
07-05-2004, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=Chrysalis]I used to enjoy the Sampras V Courier matches, which was the match where Pete cried and Gullikson had been admitted to hospital? he turned the match around and showed real bravery. 1995 or 1996 I cant remember which.QUOTE]

Quarterfinals of the Australian Open in 1995- Pete won 6-7,6-7,6-3,6-4,6-3. This was the match where Pete won me over as a fan.

J. Corwin
07-05-2004, 08:45 PM
I don't think Andy will be able to equalize the h2h but who knows. It will be mostly due to his confidence in his game and I think the h2h will be less lopsided in the future.

Deboogle!.
07-05-2004, 10:31 PM
I think it will depend on where they meet. If they start meeting more in the US on decoturf, I think Andy would have a better chance of turning it around. If they only keep meeting at Wimbledon, then I don't think so, because Roger will probably always be better than Andy on grass.

Shy
07-05-2004, 10:46 PM
It is stupid to say that Andy will improve and not Roger. We see Andy improvment much more than Roger because he had bigger hole than Roger in his game. So, we can see his improvment much more.I am pretty sure that Andy will win a few other wins against Roger. Andy has play better yesterday than he had for a long time, and he still has not manage to beat Roger who was very shaky from time to time.

Deboogle!.
07-05-2004, 11:06 PM
I think the reason people say Andy will improve more is because, as you said, there's more TO improve. Obviously Roger will continue to improve - there is no such thing as 'perfect' - and without drawing a pretty line graph I might not be able to explain this, but yeah... I mean things like movement, return game, net and transition games, backhand, defense, etc... sure Roger can improve those all too, but what he has now is already pretty darn good whereas they're all still considered weaknesses for Andy. That's a big difference.

Hingie
07-06-2004, 12:58 AM
There's no doubt that Andy will beat Roger, but he's not going to turn the head to head around and start winning every match. Roddick was taking lots of risks on his game in match and guess what, those shots aren't always going to go in. Plus, the point is that Roger neutralized Roddick's power and adjusted to it, which is what he does best. Roger Federer is a player that once he gets into a rhythm, he is extremely hard to beat. Roddick cannot play with just one game plan the entire match and hope to win, because its not going to happen unless Federer has an off day. I don't think that Roger was playing his best. He missed easy shots that I don't remember him missing, like two easy forehands from the middle of the court back to back, which could have given him break points. Roddick has a lot to work on, but he's not going to be able to overpower Roger Federer constantly. Federer himself has too much game and has enough power to neutralize and hit with Andy. You add in his flair and variety and you've got a really tough match ups. No longer can we take head to head records into consideration when dealing with Roger. He's an entirely new player than he was in 02. I dont' even think that Andy and Roger's head to head should count matches prior to 03. These are two completely new players now and they have both developed fully. Roger doesn't have much to work on, but he can sure get better. He's not perfect yet and he hasn't reached his peak. He can work on his serve, his volleys, and his backhand. He can also work on his fitness. There are lots to do still.

akin
07-06-2004, 02:34 AM
On hard courts Andy will beat Rogi...no doubt. Andy is better player at this moment.

Billabong
07-06-2004, 02:50 AM
lol;)!

Fedex
07-06-2004, 03:19 AM
On hard courts Andy will beat Rogi...no doubt. Andy is better player at this moment.
Oh, yeah, thats why Federer KILLED Roddick in TMC last year. :rolleyes: Andy dosnt have an advantage over Federer on any surfaces. I mean How many titles has Roger won on hardcourts this year. Indian Wells TMS, Australian Open, Dubai. Roger actaully has the advantage over Andy on any surface. Who's better again?? :confused: :o Who's #1?? Whos beaten Andy 6 out of 7 times they played?? :mad: Indeed.

Deboogle!.
07-06-2004, 03:58 AM
Plus, the point is that Roger neutralized Roddick's power and adjusted to it, which is what he does best.

You're missing an important factor about their match yesterday - from the 1st set to the 4th, the average speed of both Andy's first and second serves went down about 10mph. That's a big difference. Yes Roger made adjustments, especially towards the end of the match and he gets all the credit for recognizing the problems and deciding what to do, he was more able to do that because of the fact that Andy was slowly fading and was simply not hitting the ball as fast towards the end.... and Roger admitted this and the serve stats are there, so it's not like I'm making it up ;) It's hard to say whether Andy's game plan would have worked under "normal" circumstances. If it'd been 72º and sunny for three straight hours... who knows what may have happened. I see it impossible to make generalizations about matches between them that will come in the future from this one match which did have multiple interruptions, etc.

No longer can we take head to head records into consideration when dealing with Roger. He's an entirely new player than he was in 02. I dont' even think that Andy and Roger's head to head should count matches prior to 03. These are two completely new players now and they have both developed fully.

I DEFINITELY agree with that :) I don't don't think h2h matches from more than a year or two really matter much for ANY two players when they play, quite frankly. It's like when people say two victories on clay in 2002 matter when two players are playing on hardcourt in 2004 actually matter I can't help but laugh no matter who the players are - Andy and Roger or otherwise.

Fedex
07-06-2004, 04:31 AM
Well, obviously it would be too tiring to hit his serve at the same speed the whole match. But Roger just needed time to adjust to his big serve, since he hasnt played many big servers in his previous matches. But overall, Federer looked much better after that rain delay. He wouldent get easily off balance like before, came in much more to throw andy off, would actually slice his backhand forcing Roddick to hit up, which then opens up the door for Federer to hit his big shots, and he finally found his forehand. You can tell how much he improved after the rain delay because after being down 2-4 in the third, he won 11 out of the next 17 games, and didnt lose serve. Hopefully he gets off to a much better start next time. ;)

Skyward
07-06-2004, 04:43 AM
Speed of serve is not everything anyway. I recall Roger dumping to the net well placed 100+ Andy' serve and returning 137 serve on a break point.

Deboogle!.
07-06-2004, 04:54 AM
Speed of serve is not everything anyway. I recall Roger dumping to the net well placed 100+ Andy' serve and returning 137 serve on a break point.

Ohhhhh no of course not, but in his press conference, Roger said that at the end of the match he could read Andy's 2nd serve better because he started kicking and spinning it in instead of going for the upper 120s which he was going for at the beginning of the match. Obviously this is a small factor and stuff, but it was just one more thing which had a bearing on how *this particular* match panned out.

I wasn't trying to glean anything specific from this factor but just to say that, as some other people have said, you can't determine what future matches in a rivalry will be like, especially a match like this which had some weird twists and turns where had the tournament not had rain problems which led to them having to play on Saturday, rain problems during the match, and lots of other various things, the outcome of the match one way or another could've been different. I guess I'm trying to make generalizations about things people say about all "rivalries" or head-to-heads and not even anything specific about Andy and Roger. In other words, I think more the fact that Roger has consistently beaten him over the past year or two is far more telling than anything that happened in any one of their matches taken by itself.

It all makes sense in my head. I promise :retard:

Ballbuster
07-06-2004, 04:57 AM
Oh, yeah, thats why Federer KILLED Roddick in TMC last year. :rolleyes: Andy dosnt have an advantage over Federer on any surfaces. I mean How many titles has Roger won on hardcourts this year. Indian Wells TMS, Australian Open, Dubai. Roger actaully has the advantage over Andy on any surface. Who's better again?? :confused: :o Who's #1?? Whos beaten Andy 6 out of 7 times they played?? :mad: Indeed.

smack, you told him

Pea
07-06-2004, 05:16 AM
Well, obviously it would be too tiring to hit his serve at the same speed the whole match. But Roger just needed time to adjust to his big serve, since he hasnt played many big servers in his previous matches. But overall, Federer looked much better after that rain delay. He wouldent get easily off balance like before, came in much more to throw andy off, would actually slice his backhand forcing Roddick to hit up, which then opens up the door for Federer to hit his big shots, and he finally found his forehand. You can tell how much he improved after the rain delay because after being down 2-4 in the third, he won 11 out of the next 17 games, and didnt lose serve. Hopefully he gets off to a much better start next time. ;)

:worship:

Lalitha
07-06-2004, 07:09 AM
Well, obviously it would be too tiring to hit his serve at the same speed the whole match. But Roger just needed time to adjust to his big serve, since he hasnt played many big servers in his previous matches.

That big serve backfired Andy(for once). He started to serve at very high speed in the first set, but could'nt repeat that in the 4th set. But Roger played at the same pace from the beginning to the end of the match.

faboozadoo15
07-06-2004, 04:34 PM
i really don't see andy turning around the rivalry. sure, he'll win some, but to turn around the rivalry, he'd have to become the better player for a period of time, and i just don't see that happening. maybe instead of 6-1, in a few years, roddick will have a few wins but roger will have continued to pretty much own him.

kerrie1981
07-04-2005, 07:59 PM
still waiting...

Yoel and co.
07-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Something tells me that their head to head will be equalized with in a year.

Yep, as soon as all matches between them will be held in Nebraska.

Hold on - not even then.

nermo
07-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Hitchhiker would 've loved this thread....

disturb3d
07-04-2005, 08:08 PM
Roddick clearly said I have to start winning matches, before this is called a rivalryRoddick is right... The only players worthy of 'rivaling' Roger, are Marat and Nadal.

Both of whom are superior to Fed on a specific surface.

Cervantes
07-04-2005, 08:17 PM
Roddick is right... The only players worthy of 'rivaling' Roger, are Marat and Nadal.

And what surface might that be?

disturb3d
07-04-2005, 08:24 PM
And what surface might that be?Nadal on clay, Safin on Rebound Ace.

RodLo
07-04-2005, 08:29 PM
:banghead:

uNIVERSE mAN
07-04-2005, 08:34 PM
Nadal on clay, Safin on Rebound Ace.

Rebound Ace is not a surface, it's a type of hardcourt. And you base this by what? one point difference? So I guess by this argument, ToJo owns Safin anyday.

uNIVERSE mAN
07-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Roddick is right... The only players worthy of 'rivaling' Roger, are Marat and Nadal.

Safin doesn't rival Federer, he has a tough enough time rivaling the rest of the ATP tour.

disturb3d
07-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Rebound Ace is not a surface, it's a type of hardcourt. And you base this by what? one point difference? So I guess by this argument, ToJo owns Safin anyday.Well... Safin's made the Aussie final 3 years in a row. I'm pretty happy "currently" naming him the the best Rebound Ace player in the world.

ServeAlready81
07-04-2005, 08:44 PM
Safin is definitely more competition for Federer than Roddick. I feel so bad for Roddick, a top 5 player shouldn't be anyone's bitch.

Chloe le Bopper
07-04-2005, 09:14 PM
Safin is definitely more competition for Federer than Roddick. I feel so bad for Roddick, a top 5 player shouldn't be anyone's bitch.
I feel worse for Hewitt. Not only did Hewitt used to know how to whip Roger around, but now he knows how it feels to be double bagelled in a slam final. At least Roddick's serve will probably prevent that from ever happening. I was amazed he brought the second set of the recent Wimby final to a tb, Fed was playing so well :o

That said, I don't feel too much pity for either. They are pretty good at what they do ;)

oneandonlyhsn
07-04-2005, 09:18 PM
I feel worse for Hewitt. Not only did Hewitt used to know how to whip Roger around, but now he knows how it feels to be double bagelled in a slam final. At least Roddick's serve will probably prevent that from ever happening. I was amazed he brought the second set of the recent Wimby final to a tb, Fed was playing so well :o

That said, I don't feel too much pity for either. They are pretty good at what they do ;)

:haha: :haha: I guess the huge serve has dividends after all

Chloe le Bopper
07-04-2005, 09:21 PM
:haha: :haha: I guess the huge serve has dividends after all
Who knew!

Iheartandy&roger
07-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Eventually Andy will win when his time comes it comes we just all have to be patient. It'll be sweet for him.

Chloe le Bopper
07-04-2005, 09:27 PM
He just has to wait for Roger to catch "Nadal virus" when they are playing.

vincayou
07-04-2005, 10:06 PM
andy has as much chance to turn the rivalry around as Nadal to win Wimbledon! :bolt:

Chloe le Bopper
07-04-2005, 10:11 PM
BAN!

Nadal will win Wimbledon 8 times, HATA.

nkhera1
07-04-2005, 10:17 PM
andy has as much chance to turn the rivalry around as Nadal to win Wimbledon! :bolt:

I guess Nadal is going to win multiple Wimbledon's than. :rolleyes:

Chloe le Bopper
07-04-2005, 10:22 PM
Yes, 8 :)

lucashg
07-04-2005, 10:59 PM
In the 3rd set, Roddick looked so much like Hewitt usually does when he plays against Federer these days. That's not a good sign if he wants to win a match against him sometime, let alone turn the rivalry around.

DanEd
07-04-2005, 11:11 PM
head To head: from 6-1 to 9-1 in a year :lol: :tape:
Federer in the future. Something tells me that their head to head will be equalized with in a year.

ExpectedWinner
07-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Somehow Federer reads his serve very well. It must be very difficult to play RF with your main weapon neutralized.

DanEd
07-04-2005, 11:22 PM
16, troll :ras:
Yes, 8 :)

s.m.
07-04-2005, 11:22 PM
roddick will never challenge roger until he masively improves his backhand
with that stroke he can get trough johansson´s and such, but against roger he´s got no chance
yes, he has improved with that shot, but not nearly enough
not enough to beat roger or win another slam
second, he must improve match strategy, inteligence on the court
he has got no b) plan, let alone c) or d)
he is all power but not enough smarts, and against roger he cant´t get away with just power
roger reads him to well, and turns defense into offense to well
another problem is that roger returns his serve so well
he takes the main wheapon away and what does that left for limited roddick ( don´t get me wrong, roddick is still top 5 in the world, but we ar talking about roger vs roddick )
i see no rivaly
roger is light years away
media pumps it, but there´s no rivaly
only possible rivaly is nadal-federer, or safin-federer
roddick must improve to be there
he may be more consistent than safin, but safin is closer to shake roger
nadal is already there
roddick is got to go on the court and improve his game
until then, roger will rule him.....

Jennay
07-05-2005, 12:14 AM
At least Roddick's serve will probably prevent that from ever happening.
Andy has already been bagelled by Federer: in the Thailand final last year. ;) Granted that's not a Grand Slam final, but still - it could happen. :p

bad gambler
07-05-2005, 02:14 AM
he has to improve his volleying

I hear a lot of aussie coaches are is still unemployed.......

Chloe le Bopper
07-05-2005, 02:48 AM
Andy has already been bagelled by Federer: in the Thailand final last year. ;) Granted that's not a Grand Slam final, but still - it could happen. :p
It wasn't a double bagel. And he was injured. And I was speaking in terms of slam finals. And I said "probably" :p

jacobhiggins
07-05-2005, 02:51 AM
I do not think Andy will turn it around. While Roddick can improve and so can Federer, the core fundementals is not going to change. I think one reason why this final was so one sided was because Federer is in better shape then he was last year!

Fedex
07-05-2005, 03:21 AM
Nadal on clay, Safin on Rebound Ace.
I'm not sure about Safin on rebound ace. Safin eeked out a win vs. Federer at Oz this year, so the match could of gone either way. Lets not forget Federer kicked his ass in the 04 Australian Open final, so they are 1-1 on the surface.

Scotso
07-05-2005, 03:25 AM
I would laugh at this too, but I'm just not really in the mood.