Can Roger finish the year with fewer than 10 losses? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can Roger finish the year with fewer than 10 losses?

JennyS
07-04-2004, 09:37 PM
Roger's match record is astounding sofar this year. When was the last time at this point of the season that a men's player had more tournament titles than match losses? Roger's won 6 out of 10 tournaments he's played, which is unbelievable.

Do you think Roger can finish this season with a single digit number of match losses in singles play? He would have to lose 5 matches or fewer for the rest of the year to accomplish that feat. Right now, he is scheduled to play 10 more tournaments. That would mean, he would need to win at least five more tournaments this year to accomplish that.

Bilbo
07-04-2004, 09:51 PM
of course

Snoopy_Girl
07-04-2004, 09:55 PM
That might be bit too much, but I think he can end the year with less than 13 losses :). He's certainly doing great :D

LCeh
07-04-2004, 09:56 PM
I don't even wanna go there as a Roger Fan, that's too much to ask for... :lol:

It's certainly not impossible, but it will be very tough, especially considering how good Andy is on hard courts.

RonE
07-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Roger's match record is astounding sofar this year. When was the last time at this point of the season that a men's player had more tournament titles than match losses?

I think the answer to that is Pete Sampras in 1994 when after defending his Wimby title he had won 8 tournaments up to and including that point (Sydney, Australian Open, Indian Wells, Key Biscayne, Osaka, Tokyo, Rome and Wimbledon) and had lost only 4 matches (to Alami in Doha, to Eltingh in Philadelphia, Courier in Roland Garros and Martin in Queen's).

As to your second question, I think thats a tough ask even for Federer. As great as he is, he can't go on indefinitely- there are bound to be periods when he won't do as well as he has been over the past 6 months. However, maybe he can keep it under 10, if he stays really focused. He's definitely good enough to do so.

What I find strange is that in one of the interviews he said his 3 main goals were to defend this (Wimbledon) title, remain no. 1 and do well at the Olympics- no mention whatsoever of doing well at the US Open. I find this very strange.

LCeh
07-04-2004, 10:04 PM
It's not strange RonE. That is his 3 main goals. To him, WImbledon is always the most important slam. Needless to say, ending the year as #1 is also right up there. Then there is the Olympics, which only happens once every 4 years. So those 3 has to be the priority. Maybe since Olympics is so close to USO that he is not focusing on USO that much because Olympics is so rare.

Roger should start pulling out of tournaments to keep his losses under 10. :devil:

RonE
07-04-2004, 10:18 PM
I would really love to see him do well at the USO for a change, he keeps crashing out in the 4th round- to his defence, he has lost to some pretty tough players in the past 3 years- Agassi, Mirnyi and Nalbandian, however I would like to see him at least make the Quarters this time.

LCeh
07-04-2004, 10:21 PM
The golden number has been 3 for this whole year. If he gets 3 wins, he wins the tournament. Of course it doesn't happen every time, but still, if he is in great form, maybe we can see another Andy-Roger final at the USO. ;)

Havok
07-04-2004, 10:34 PM
He can do it, but it's gonna be tough. He isn't at his best during the summer hardcourt, and he's bound to get tired at the end of the year.

rue
07-04-2004, 10:36 PM
I think that he put Wimbledon as his top priority because he loves it so much. He was not saying that he does not care about the US Open but just that he wanted to concentrate on what he wanted to accomplish the most. He can certainly do well at the US Open and he probably will.

pinky
07-04-2004, 10:40 PM
I would really love to see him do well at the USO for a change, he keeps crashing out in the 4th round- to his defence, he has lost to some pretty tough players in the past 3 years- Agassi, Mirnyi and Nalbandian, however I would like to see him at least make the Quarters this time.

He also got pretty unlucky with the draw/rain etc... last year.

About the main question of the thread, well, Roger plays very well but i don't see him win 11 tournaments this year. And don't forget you can get up to 3 losses at the TMC!! not that i think it will happen to Roger but still, it is easy to get 2 losses there :)

J. Corwin
07-05-2004, 01:21 AM
He can, but I don't think he'll win that many tournaments in a year. I see him with around 10 to 11 losses this year.

WyveN
07-05-2004, 03:45 AM
I dont think it really matters, apart from the olympics Roger has already met all his goals and will play the US Open season without any pressure at all. Whether that means he loses motivation or allows him to relax and play freely will be interesting to see.

awm
07-05-2004, 03:49 AM
He can do it, it's just a question of if he will. It would be really tough for him to do it, but it still is possible. That would be really cool if he did do it. It depends on a lot of different factors during the tournaments, and it'll be fun watching to see if he can manage to do it.

Vincent
07-05-2004, 05:25 AM
He has had a brilliant record so far this year, given that the ATp tour is so competitive. I wish he could have lesser than 10 loses this year. I hope! :D

dubis016
07-05-2004, 05:27 AM
A bit too much, but..Let's hope!^^

rogicomel
07-05-2004, 05:55 AM
Yes! ROGI BOLEH!!!!

sem4
07-05-2004, 12:01 PM
I'm sure he can !!!

*SKYE*
07-05-2004, 12:26 PM
u no thats a good question.... ummm.... well i cant rule it out.

Yeh he probs last the year with less than 10 losses

WyveN
07-05-2004, 02:29 PM
I expect Roger to become tired towards the end of the year and unless he skips a few events I dont think he will end the year with less then 10 losses.

Action Jackson
12-19-2004, 12:27 PM
Yes, he managed to make it through the season with less than 10 losses.

ytben
12-19-2004, 12:35 PM
Yes, he managed to make it through the season with less than 10 losses.

Nice bump GWH :D He did miss three tourneys in the later part of the year but even if he played & lost all three, it would still mean he only has 9 losses.

I won't expect anything remotely close come next year. But of course he is more that welcome to prove me wrong :angel:

RonE
12-19-2004, 04:06 PM
Nice bump GWH :D He did miss three tourneys in the later part of the year but even if he played & lost all three, it would still mean he only has 9 losses.

I won't expect anything remotely close come next year. But of course he is more that welcome to prove me wrong :angel:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Art&Soul
12-20-2004, 02:23 PM
Yup, nothing more, something less :yeah: :dance: