Andy's gonna have nightmares about this final [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy's gonna have nightmares about this final

jenglisbe
07-04-2004, 04:37 PM
This is a match of blown opportunities for Roddick. He served to get into the 2nd set tie-break and lost serve. He was up 4-2 in the 3rd set and lost the set. Now he just had 0-40 on Roger's serve and promptly made 2 errors :smash:

jenglisbe
07-04-2004, 04:41 PM
Oh my word! Roddick just had another break point and made another error.

jenglisbe
07-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Geez! Andy just had 6 break points in the 3-2 game and still lost it :o

Freddi22cl
07-04-2004, 04:50 PM
bye bye Andy.....the cream has risen to the top. TOO MUCH game by Fed......hey, where's hitchhiker, he ahd Andy winning, and bet money on it too......

LMFAO!!!!!!!

jbone_14
07-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Yay!!! I hope he does :lol: Go Federer

jenglisbe
07-04-2004, 04:57 PM
I don't see where Federer had too much game. Andy had tons of chances, and he lost most of them (as opposed to Federer winning). Andy was right there with Roger, and the difference was mental.

jbone_14
07-04-2004, 04:59 PM
No. Andy is a Serve and a forehand. When one of them go off, he loses. None of them went off today because Federer was making magnificent shots. He has too many shots he could use against Roddick.

Havok
07-04-2004, 05:00 PM
He made the right plays, just didn't excetue. He should be damn proud of himself for making Federer work damn hard to win this ttile, can't say much about the rest of Federer's opponents.

Neely
07-04-2004, 05:02 PM
okay, let's say it!!! YES, Roger got lucky in this match!

I mean, well, you remember the picture of Roddick shaking the netcord in disbelief and desperation says it all that Andy played not only against Roger, but also against the netcord that helped Roger out on some BIG points!

the rest went all its way, Roger played some great tennis and won it!

Bad luck, Andy! :hug:
very competitive match and he showed that he can hang in there with Federer! :clap2:

Congrats Roger and his full-time fans! (not these who are only rooting for him because they dislike Andy)
good tennis, at the end a deserved winner!

lsy
07-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Well done Andy!!!

He played hell of a match and was magnificient today! Roger really have to dig so deep to win it.

Freddi22cl
07-04-2004, 05:04 PM
I don't see where Federer had too much game. Andy had tons of chances, and he lost most of them (as opposed to Federer winning). Andy was right there with Roger, and the difference was mental.

NO, the difference is shot making, talent level, fitness level.........when it mattered the cream rose to the top as it usually does.........Fed is now 6-1 over Andy--THERES A REASON FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!

:) :)

Havok
07-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Oh, ok.

CarnivalCarnage
07-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Not sure if that can really be said about this match ...

Yeah, Andy had chances to have done better. But he didn't CHOKE. I'm sure there are a couple fourth set forehands he'd like back, but there was nothing excruciating that happened out there. I think he feels that he was outclassed, and I think I agree.

Tennis Fool
07-04-2004, 05:12 PM
you remember the picture of Roddick shaking the netcord in disbelief and desperation says it all that Andy played not only against Roger, but also against the netcord that helped Roger out on some BIG points
That's funny :lol:

akin
07-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Actually I felt that Andy had the match at one point...but he was not able to take it. Of course playing against Rogi is not easy. He was so close!! Well done Andy!!

WF4EVER
07-04-2004, 05:14 PM
Winning is not about having opportunities; it's about taking them.

Congratulations to both on very dramatic match, but especially Federer who is amazing by far.

Those commentators are Roddick TV forced me to turn off my volume, but I didn't miss them saying that while Roddick had a coach during the rain delays, Roger had none. Roger won anyway.

Havok
07-04-2004, 05:15 PM
Yes, those 2 forehand looks he got while he had a break point he would wanna take back, but that's the shot he had to hit to get the break, he just missed them. I would rather him go for a shot and break rather than playing stupid and allow Federer to take the upper hand. Andy didn't choke at all in this match, yeah he could have cleaned up his 1st serve %, but it didn't really hurt him because Federer gets them back anyways. I also agree that he wont have nightmares about this loss, he played how he was supposed to play in order to beat Roger and it was really working for most of the match (even if he wasn't in the lead, his gameplan was good). I doubt he'll have any regrets of giving Roger a tough match and you can tell it was a tough match because I heard at least 10 allez or come on's from Roger, and he never says those more than twice a match.

WF4EVER
07-04-2004, 05:15 PM
That netcord should be fired for the rest of the tournament, shouldn't it?

SanTaureau Fan
07-04-2004, 05:16 PM
I'm happy Andy didn't win this year; he won't have to dance with Princess Maria.

Vincent
07-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Andy played great and There was like a little "explosion" there, his reaction was so funny...:haha:

He still has many chances in the future, see you on hardcourts! :)

jenglisbe
07-04-2004, 05:17 PM
NO, the difference is shot making, talent level, fitness level.........when it mattered the cream rose to the top as it usually does.........Fed is now 6-1 over Andy--THERES A REASON FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!
Um, when Andy missed that backhand return at 15-40 in the 4th set, I didn't see Roger's fitness and talent making much difference.

WyveN
07-04-2004, 05:19 PM
Yes Andy had big chances in the 4th set but then Roger had chances in the first set in that 0-40 game.
Doesn't matter much in the end and I don't think Andy will have nightmares as he played some of his best tennis.
You have nightmares when you lose a FO final after having match points.

WyveN
07-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Um, when Andy missed that backhand return at 15-40 in the 4th set, I didn't see Roger's fitness and talent making much difference.

Thats tennis for you, a few points make all the difference and sometimes part of the fitness and talent is making that play at 15-40 rather then just missing a makeable shot.

Tennis Fool
07-04-2004, 05:21 PM
Andy tried to be funny (and he was) but also you could see that he was *extremely* pissed.

ytben
07-04-2004, 05:23 PM
Congrats to both player for playing a great match. So finally we have a good slam final that everybody asked for. Andy has really improved and Rogi has to fight so hard to defend his title. I thought he was a goner really, but he keeps amazed me with his fighting spirit. I agree he's a bit lucky as well, he even acknowledged it in his speech.

Freddi22cl
07-04-2004, 05:24 PM

um, ok....but why didn't Andy win?....oh, I know, cause he missed that shot, hey and he missed that volley and he missed that break chance....yeah that's it.......

6-1 career vs Andy--BRING ON THE EIGTH MATCH!!!!!!!

Hingie
07-04-2004, 05:24 PM
True champions play their best when they are down or when there is an opportunity. Roger showed today why he is number 1 in the world, saving those break points with wonderful serves.