Roland Garros winner
Wimbledon winner

1 to go...

Bilbo
07-04-2004, 02:47 PM
awesome :)

Tennis Fool
07-04-2004, 02:48 PM
They showed the end of the match during the rain delay. I actually was more impressed with Kasiri than Monfils.

What do you think are Monfil's strengths? Ie, why is he Number 1?

SanTaureau Fan
07-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Well if he uses the kind of strategy he used at 6-5, I can see why he's number 1.

joeb_uk
07-04-2004, 03:14 PM
yeah, i thought they were equal. both great forehands, but i actually preferred kasiris forehand. but gaels serve is great, he served like 14 aces?

GermanBoy
07-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Impressive! :eek: Brilliant! :devil:

¿esquímaux?
07-04-2004, 03:56 PM
LOL, Allez Monsieur Mun-fee :bigwave:

star
07-04-2004, 04:01 PM
They showed the end of the match during the rain delay. I actually was more impressed with Kasiri than Monfils.

What do you think are Monfil's strengths? Ie, why is he Number 1?

I was impressed with the weight of Kasiri's strokes.

Problem is that I think Kasiri is only about 5'9"

joeb_uk
07-04-2004, 04:15 PM
yeah, but monfils is awfully skinny! its worrying, hopefully he will bulk up.

Havok
07-04-2004, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I wasn't really impressed with Monfils. I expected something much better from the #1 ranked juniors and someone who won 3 straight slams.:(

CarnivalCarnage
07-04-2004, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I wasn't really impressed with Monfils. I expected something much better from the #1 ranked juniors and someone who won 3 straight slams.:(

I think you were expecting too much because you were influenced by the sudden shift from Roddick-Federer to that match.

Steve-o
07-04-2004, 04:30 PM
It is the least comfortable surface for Monfils so for him to win it is a good statement.

WF4EVER
07-04-2004, 04:31 PM

It says a whole lot more about the other players on the junior circuit, doesn't it?

CarnivalCarnage
07-04-2004, 04:49 PM
It says a whole lot more about the other players on the junior circuit, doesn't it?

That's ridiculous. How much junior tennis have you watched exactly? I'd just like to know your depth of experience with what you're discussing.

jbone_14
07-04-2004, 04:57 PM
I wasn't impressed either. He is just another Roddick(big serve, forehand) except he's black.

Aleksa's Laydee
07-04-2004, 04:57 PM
lol lets see if he can win all 4...i'm sure he can, then hopefully he wont be a junior next year so some others can win the slams ;)

CarnivalCarnage
07-04-2004, 05:08 PM
Yeah, you guys are right. They weren't as good as the pro players so clearly that is just SO unimpressive.

SanTaureau Fan
07-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Lol... I agree. HELLO this is junior. There's a reason why there's a junior competition, because players aren't ready at their age to dominate on the main tour.

From what I saw, they were both decent players. I don't know what the hell people were expecting by watching them.

jenglisbe
07-04-2004, 05:38 PM
I wasn't impressed at all. He mostly won because of the other kid's errors. He wasn't doing too much out there in the parts of the match NBC showed.

CarnivalCarnage
07-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Bad rep for the "unimpressed"....

joeb_uk
07-04-2004, 06:14 PM
lol lets see if he can win all 4...i'm sure he can, then hopefully he wont be a junior next year so some others can win the slams ;)

he isnt playing the usopen :(

Pea
07-04-2004, 09:48 PM
I'm not entirely impressed with his game, but his track record is nothing to laugh at. Great job Gael!

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Ah, power to the black people!!!

And his opponent wasn't even a top ranked junior--but I am sure the reason he played at a good level is because he is British. It was a big match for him. But Gael still one :)

Best wishes in the future Gael!

I wasn't impressed either. He is just another Roddick(big serve, forehand) except he's black.

TennisLurker
07-05-2004, 12:52 AM
I heard he has an ugly game, similar to roddick, big serve, big forehand...

Pea
07-05-2004, 04:20 AM
Yep, you are correct TennisLurker.

Chloe le Bopper
07-05-2004, 04:25 AM
yeah, but monfils is awfully skinny! its worrying, hopefully he will bulk up.
Being skinny doesn't seem to have killed Ancic's game...

Pea
07-05-2004, 04:53 AM
rodduck was rather skinny when he was in juniors.

Gambill_Rules
07-05-2004, 12:36 PM
I wasn't impressed either except for his serve.

I also found him really arrogant and rude on court.He clearly hasn't been taught tennis common curtosy.Some things he did on court were just rude byt the end i had a distint dislike for him and little army of annoying teenage french fans:mad:

¿esquímaux?
07-05-2004, 12:57 PM
I wasn't impressed either except for his serve.

I also found him really arrogant and rude on court.He clearly hasn't been taught tennis common curtosy.Some things he did on court were just rude byt the end i had a distint dislike for him and little army of annoying teenage french fans:mad:

So I take it you enjoyed Gael spitting all over the court :drool:

joeb_uk
07-05-2004, 02:36 PM

i dont think you can even compare ancics body to gaels. his calfs worried me!

ERohr
07-05-2004, 08:12 PM

Nor Guga's...

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-05-2004, 08:21 PM
A lot of Africans have this type of body. But we have natural and good muscle despite. It is in the genotype. So don't worry :)

i dont think you can even compare ancics body to gaels. his calfs worried me!

joeb_uk
07-05-2004, 08:38 PM
he has a good body mass tho if it is correct 78 kg i think it says, which isnt bad actually for his height.

Marc Rosset is Tall
07-05-2004, 08:44 PM
True, joeb

joeb_uk
07-05-2004, 08:46 PM
i mean you look at him and you wouldnt think his mass would be that high. thanks for the photos, i havent found many

darnyelb
07-06-2004, 02:51 AM
He needs power. In any case, I was pretty bored with him.

tennischick
07-06-2004, 04:05 AM
i liked him. a whole lot. here's hoping for his future complete dominance of the tour. :worship:

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-06-2004, 05:03 AM
:eek: I could unleash my stubborn anger right now, right, 'cause that's what black people do. anyway, this is your opinion, i am sure someone will eventually have the interest to fight you on it. best wishes

hes black. what else would you expect.

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-06-2004, 05:09 AM
I am going to say that I SEE your point. I disagree with it, but I see how you've arrived at your opinion... don't be so paranoid! I haven't called you a racist and I am not going to. Relax. I am not going to fight with you dear

TheEqualizer
07-06-2004, 05:12 AM
thank you.

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-06-2004, 05:14 AM
not me, thank you.

SanTaureau Fan
07-06-2004, 05:17 AM
I like it when people register with a new username just to post certain not-too-politically-correct comments. Too afraid to post with your regular username?

FrenchLouise
07-06-2004, 12:55 PM
hes black. what else would you expect. AND dont even think about calling me a racist, because im not. all im saying is that the majority of black sportsman are ARROGANT. athletes and especially boxers. and deep down you guys know it. im one of the few who actually has the guts to speak out and overcome the 'sensitive-racist' barrier. so if the guy does make it to be one of the top players in the world i sincerely hope that he'll not turn the game of tennis into a Lennox Lewis/Mike Tyson-style ego trip on the court and press conferences.
Maybe they're arrogant because of the way they're treated and considered by the crowd, press and people (like you?) when they start. I thoroughly dislike Serena Williams' game but feel deeply sorry for her when the crowd (the Roland Garros one) boos her. I always wonder why and she must wonder harder than I do! Maybe she (as for Monfils I don't know as I've never seen him play) shows an over-the-top pride because it IS more difficult for her to be where she is than for a white player. And what you're saying IS racist. I mean how about Arthur Ashe, Zina Garrison, Maliwai Washington (spelling), Yannick Noah, just in the tennis world? Would you consider them arrogant? And boxing is just so totally different!
I was really annoyed by the American athletes parading at the last Olympics (where was that again?) But thought more that is was because they were American (oops! I'm NOT generalising here) rather than because of the colour of their skin. Many French athletes are black and they are not arrogant.

Experimentee
07-06-2004, 05:56 PM
I havent seen him play but I'm really impressed by his results! Hopefully he can win the Junior Grand Slam this year, I cant remember any time when thats been done!
Obviously the juniors are on a much lower level than the main tour, so we should be expecting a lower level of tennis when we watch junior matches. Just look at what the most recent junior champions are doing on the main tour now, and u can see the gap. Monfils definitely isnt as good as ATP players, but it is a huge achivement to do what hes done this year.

I dont understand why most of the posts have to focus on his race. People try to argue that there isnt much racial biase nowadays, but you just have to look in this thread to see everyone mention the fact that he is black, when that is really irrelevant :rolleyes: