07-03-2004, 01:45 PM
Should be a really good match

Go Roger!

papasmurf11
07-03-2004, 01:46 PM
GO ANDY!

Fedex
07-03-2004, 01:48 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: So the final, we all wanted!!! :devil: Kick ass, Rogi!!!! Allez!!!

Havok
07-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Go Andy, but I'm sure he'll get crushed :sad: just uh.......try your best :scared:

Arcadion
07-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Go Andy! He needs to step it up, I like his chances in a tiebreaker, then who knows what can happen.

Fedex
07-03-2004, 01:53 PM
I dont like his chances in a tiebreaker. Thats the fact that Federer's 5-1 in tiebreaks vs. Andy. :) :lol:

papasmurf11
07-03-2004, 01:54 PM
hey you never know I wouldnt be getting to cocky about federer.

Noodles
07-03-2004, 01:56 PM
The nr 1 against nr 2, doesn't happen too often.

Good luck in the final Roger :yeah:

Lady
07-03-2004, 01:57 PM
Oh, we have #1 & 2 in the final... I guess it's the right time to say that there's no depth in mens tennis anymore :p ;)

Noodles
07-03-2004, 01:58 PM
Oh, we have #1 & 2 in the final... I guess it's the right time to say that there's no depth in mens tennis anymore :p ;)
:lol:

Havok
07-03-2004, 02:12 PM
lmao. When was the last time the top 2 ranked players played in a Slam finals?

Arcadion
07-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Its great for tennis, isnt it?

Clara Bow
07-03-2004, 02:13 PM
Yea! I am excited to see #1 and #2 in the men's finals. I beleive that hasn't happend here at Wimbledon since something like 1982. I have a feeling that this many be the first of several Federer/Roddick GS finals in the future- which imo is a good thing because it will be fun to have an old-school rivalry.

Go Roger! :)

papasmurf11
07-03-2004, 02:14 PM
It will make it interesting to watch the best go at the title!

Havok
07-03-2004, 02:19 PM
ok so about 1982 at Wimbledon, but what about Slams in general:scratch: must be a while as well

BaselineSmash
07-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Some telling moments of fragility have been exposed in the Fedman in his past two matches, only his opponents have not been able to capitalise. Maybe he's not as comfortable being the defending champion as he seems. Could we see a return to the choke-prone headcase of old tomorrow, or are his biggest tests (!) in the past, and will Roddick be lucky to go down 6-3 6-3 6-3?

Shy
07-03-2004, 02:35 PM
If we look at their performence all week, I say that Roger had been playing better than Andy.

hitchhiker
07-03-2004, 02:37 PM
roddick has got this one won, i am certain of it

federer lucky to win past karlovic and roddick far better

roddick will win a close first set and federer will crap in his pants under pressure and will go ski in switzerland with tail between legs

Fedex
07-03-2004, 02:40 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: At Hitchhiker. What a fu**ing moron he is :)

hitchhiker
07-03-2004, 02:42 PM
fedex i will be saying same thing about you after the final

7-6 7-6 3-6 6-4 to andy

Fedex
07-03-2004, 02:49 PM
I should report to amanda that you are actually RealityRyan, who was banned from here. This is gonna be a 6-2, 6-3, 6-1 win for Roger!!! :woohoo: :banana: :D Care to notice, you dipshit, that Roddick was also pounded by Roger at TMC. Go back to the hole from whence you came!!! :fiery: :fiery: :armed:

hitchhiker
07-03-2004, 02:51 PM
This is gonna be a 6-2, 6-3, 6-1 win for Roger!!! :woohoo: :banana: :D Care to notice, you dipshit, that Roddick was also pounded by Roger at TMC. Go back to the hole from whence you came!!! :fiery: :fiery: :armed:

Stay of the drugs, no way federer is breaking roddick serve more then once in the match

care to notice roddick had #1 all done in houston and wasnt pumped up, wont be the same in wimbledon final

care to notice how bad federer looked in tiebreak against hewitt and grosjean and how deadly roddick has been in tiebreaks and i gurantee you this match will have at least 1 tiebreak

Fedex
07-03-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm not getting into anymore bullshit arguments, with fuckers like you!! :fiery: :fiery: I'm putting you on ignore.

Asar
07-03-2004, 03:10 PM
why you angry fedex with hiker boy????may be on monday hitchhiker hitch a ride to dark side of moon????may be he take drugs?????he trippin' mon!!!!

hitchhiker
07-03-2004, 03:12 PM
fedex cant handle hearing anything but good nice things about federer

Nishy
07-03-2004, 03:14 PM
I think Roger definitely has advantage against Andy.
But I hope Andy can handle and something suprise happen.
Hope we can see good match.

Keep focus and Go Andy!

Freddi22cl
07-03-2004, 03:15 PM
fedex cant handle hearing anything but good nice things about federer

nice, very nice. And Andy can't stand losing to Fed. You ever gogin to beat him again Andy? What happenned at Houston? For crying outloud you had all those Americans in the stand? Didn't even take a set off him....oh well.....

dylan24
07-03-2004, 03:19 PM
roger in 3
cmon fed express. bitch slap andy

Hingie
07-03-2004, 03:40 PM
Good luck boys tomorrow in the finals! Have fun out there and give us all the juicy match up we've all been waiting for!

wongqks
07-03-2004, 03:41 PM
I am actually look forward to this.

Roger look slightly more vulnerable in the last two rounds, and Andy will take encouragement for that

Lynne
07-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Well, it was the final everyone was talking about before Wimbledon started and it'll happen tomorrow..!Great!! :)

CmonAussie
07-03-2004, 04:03 PM
@@ WHAT A GREAT WIMBLEDON!!!!

1st Maria Sharapova 'The Siberian Braless Siren' beats The Queen Serena & now we get to see Roddick vs Federer
--->>> may the best man win & hopefully a 5-setter!!!

Roger is obvioulsy the more talented shotmaking genious but A-Rod has power & the 'winning ugly' mentality!!

2004 is proving to be a fantastic tennis season; lets hope USO, Olympics, TMC etc also provide a few more highlights!!!

Goenitz_196
07-03-2004, 04:07 PM
I was hoping for a Tim Henman vs Roger Federer final...Roger is always making baseliners look bad....

YoursTruly
07-03-2004, 04:11 PM
:lol: I'm so happy as you can see! I'm so happy that Maria beat Serena to win the title! But I'm mostly looking forward to Roger playing! I want him to straight-set Andy in the final, but still showing his great tennis of course! Go Roger!

CmonAussie
07-03-2004, 04:12 PM
I was hoping for a Tim Henman vs Roger Federer final...Roger is always making baseliners look bad....
:wavey:
Lets be realistic~~ Roddick has a much better chance against Federer than Henman would have in a WIMBLEDON FINAL :angel: !

A-Rod has a 'big-match' mentality & already the confidence of winning the USO plus #1 last year; whereas Tiger Tim could only win Wimbledon if he faced another choker in the Final^ such as Nalbandian, Grosjean, Philippoussis--->>> guys who just don't play their best when it matters the most :sad: !

The only guys that can beat Federer in Wimbledon Finals are the mentally tough Slam winners like Roddick & Hewitt :worship: !

Goenitz_196
07-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Lets be realistic~~ Roddick has a much better chance against Federer than Henman would have in a WIMBLEDON FINAL :angel: !

A-Rod has a 'big-match' mentality & already the confidence of winning the USO plus #1 last year; whereas Tiger Tim could only win Wimbledon if he faced another choker in the Final^ such as Nalbandian, Grosjean, Philippoussis--->>> guys who just don't play their best when it matters the most :sad: !

The only guys that can beat Federer in Wimbledon Finals are the mentally tough Slam winners like Roddick & Hewitt :worship: !

Well yes Tim Henman isn't know for his mental toughness, but in tennis there is a thing called a match-up issue. Henman actually has a good record against Federer in meetings - 6-2 in fact, and one of his wins against him was at Wimbledon 2001 QF, after Federer ousted a poor-form Sampras. And before you say 'Federer's much better now' Henman was the only guy who broke Federer's 14-match winning streak in the Rotterdam earlier this year. So I think Henman would've given him a huge test.

Fedex
07-03-2004, 04:20 PM
Well, i dont entirely agree that Andy is mentally tough. He hates playing Roger, and he knows it. Roger will win it in 3 sets. I also wanted a Federer-Henman final. That had the potiental to be a classic. Lets not forget that he has a 6-2 Career advantage over Federer, and has beaten him on grass at Wimbledon. His game is the best game on grass, besides Federer's so Rogi would of had a tougher time against someone who keeps on coming. He dominates and schools baseliners like Roddick for instance, and will win this in 3.

Goenitz_196
07-03-2004, 04:27 PM
so Rogi would of had a tougher time against someone who keeps on coming. He dominates and schools baseliners like Roddick for instance

And I thought I was the only one who knew this ;)

It's also funny that not even the commentators McEnroe, Castle, Cash and Becker has mentioned this, as all they ever do is kiss Federer's ass.

hitchhiker
07-03-2004, 04:30 PM
dont forget, roddick wins tomorrow and his clear #1 holding USO and wimbledon titles while federer would have only AO

jtipson
07-03-2004, 04:31 PM
I agree Fedex, Tim could have been a much more difficult match up for Roger, and one I would have been delighted to see as a Wimbledon final. Mario Ancic would have also been a very tough proposition. I'm not saying Roddick will be easy, though. Hope the match is better than their previous encounters have been.

jtipson
07-03-2004, 04:32 PM
dont forget, roddick wins tomorrow and his clear #1 holding USO and wimbledon titles while federer would have only AO

No actually, Federer will still be number one whatever happens tomorrow.

hitchhiker
07-03-2004, 04:34 PM
No actually, Federer will still be number one whatever happens tomorrow.

lol maybe officially but roddick better previous 12 months

jtipson
07-03-2004, 04:38 PM

Nope, Federer will be still ahead in the Entry Ranking, which is previous 12 months. He's miles in front in the Race.

CmonAussie
07-03-2004, 04:40 PM
Considering the CHAMPIONS RACE to end year as #1 is the main focus then Roger is still a clear No.1 :worship: !

2004 Titles :cool:

Federer Express~ Aussie Open, IW-TMS, Hamburg-TMS, Dubai, Halle

A-ROD~ Miami-TMS, San Jose, Queens

==>>> If A-Rod wins WIMBLEDON then you could say both guys are fairly equal this year & the winner of USO should finish #1

PS~ Me thinks Hewitt's going to win USO to spoil the party :p !

hitchhiker
07-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Nope, Federer will be still ahead in the Entry Ranking, which is previous 12 months. He's miles in front in the Race.

if roddick wins then over past 12 months

slams

roddick 2 federer 1

masters series

roddick 3 federer 3

roddick would have year end #1

the extra slam is far more important then whatever small titles would make federer keep #1 rank

jtipson
07-03-2004, 04:44 PM
if roddick wins then over past 12 months

slams

roddick 2 federer 1

masters series

roddick 3 federer 3

roddick would have year end #1

the extra slam is far more important then whatever small titles would make federer keep #1 rank

The numbers are what counts, not the titles (otherwise Federer would have been number one at the end of last year). And the numbers on Monday 5th July will say Federer is at the top, Roddick is second.

hitchhiker
07-03-2004, 04:45 PM
this is suck key match in both careers, potential career turner right here

federer wins and he opens up big gap over roddick
roddick wins and they are at best equal

WyveN
07-03-2004, 04:49 PM
I am pretty excited about this match up, as much as it pains me to say it but all the momentum Federer has gained over the past 6 months in establishing a gap between himself and the others would be quickly forgotten if Roddick wins tomorrow as even though Federer will still deservedly be on top of the rankings, the momentum would now be with Andy.

Tomorrow could see the shift in the balance of power or the prevention of it, I am really looking forward to it even though it will be nerve wrecking.

CmonAussie
07-03-2004, 04:52 PM
this is suck key match in both careers, potential career turner right here

federer wins and he opens up big gap over roddick
roddick wins and they are at best equal
:worship: :worship: :worship:
:cool:
Yeah this is potentially one of the most important Mens's matches since Sampras beat Agassi in 1995 USO Final :sad: !

Actually I'll be supporting Roddick slightly because he could do men's tennis a huge favour if he's able to win ;) ! I prefer Federer but if A-Rod wins then you'll have Roddick~ 2 Slams, Federer~ 2 Slams, Hewitt~ 2 Slams... so the New Ball generation will all be reasonably tied at this stage in their respective careers!!!

If A-Rod pulls it off then it also gives other New Balls like Safin, Hewitt & Ferrero a 'wake-up-call' that Federer Express is not an invincible tennis God but merely mortal like the rest of them :angel: :angel: !

HOWEVER if Roger wins Wimbledon & perhaps USO too--->>> then it could be 6-7 years before another player gets a look at #1 :confused:

FEDERER is on the verge of true GREATNESS & maybe this match will make him more nervous than usual because it's a huge opportunity to blow away his rivals & maintain the "AURA" :worship:

Dutchie
07-03-2004, 04:54 PM
I hope Roger will win tomorrow! :)

WyveN
07-03-2004, 04:57 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship:
:cool:
Yeah this is potentially one of the most important Mens's matches since Sampras beat Agassi in 1995 USO Final :sad: !

I would say since Agassi d Hewitt in 2002 US open as had Hewitt won that USO he would be dominant #1.

Actually I'll be supporting Roddick slightly because he could do men's tennis a huge favour if he's able to win ;)

Not sure about that, if Roddick wins Wimbledon it will be difficult preventing him from winning the US open as he is more natural on that surface.

! I prefer Federer but if A-Rod wins then you'll have Roddick~ 2 Slams, Federer~ 2 Slams, Hewitt~ 2 Slams... so the New Ball generation will all be reasonably tied at this stage in their respective careers!!!

I think you just dont want Federer going ahead of Hewitt ;)

LCeh
07-03-2004, 05:01 PM
I think you just dont want Federer going ahead of Hewitt ;)

Exactly what I was thinking of... :devil:

This will be huge. Talk about rivalry, this is where it will start, especially if Andy wins this match. If Roger wins tomorrow, not only will he maintain the gap between him and Andy, but a gap between him and every other player. This will be huge for both these men and men's tennis IMO.

Talk about a nerve-wrecking match... :o

Dirk
07-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Win or Lose Rogi will always be the better player. Someone like him won't come along for a long time. I hope Rogi wins but if not then there is always next year. I just want rogi to be healthy and have a long career.

CmonAussie
07-03-2004, 05:09 PM
@@ Maybe I will be a tad sad about Federer moving past Hewitt so clearly in such a short period of time >_<...

Anyway I'm fairly neutral about this match~~ except that I want to see a great match; a 5-setter would do a lot to help the promotion of Mens's Tennis!!!

If A-Rod wins^^ I'm happy because NEW BALLS are TIED!

If Federer Express wins^^ I'm happy because it's pure joy to watch Tennis taken to such a high level; plus Roger is a great guy!!

PS~ Hope neither Roddick or Federer gets too arrogant if they win>_<. Up to this point Roger has remained very down to earth but Andy sometimes seems slightly full of himself!

Skyward
07-03-2004, 05:25 PM
@@ Maybe I will be a tad sad about Federer moving past Hewitt so clearly in such a short period of time >_<...

!

Well, Lleyton always can come back and win US Open. He's not going to Olympics and should be more prepared than other top guys.

Veronique
07-03-2004, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=CmonAussie

PS~ Hope neither Roddick or Federer gets too arrogant if they win>_<. Up to this point Roger has remained very down to earth but Andy sometimes seems slightly full of himself![/QUOTE]

What interviews have you been reading? There's no player as humble and gracious in victory or defeat as Andy Roddick.

*Ljubica*
07-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Nothing more for me to say than Good Luck Roger :)

CmonAussie
07-03-2004, 06:05 PM
Roddick is great for men's tennis too but i don't think he's particularly humble.. I do admire him for his style of jokeing around in the Interviews & generally he's pretty cool :cool: ; though sometimes I wonder if it's false modesty :confused: . Anyway right now Roddick is fine~~ I'm just saying that if he wins WIMBLEDON tomorrow then there's a danger of him becoming too big for his boots :sad: .

PS~ All the NEW BALLS are maturing well :angel: ; Safin's the exception though :devil: .

LDVTennis1
07-03-2004, 08:00 PM
From observing Andy Roddick in his early round matches, it is clear that when pressed, and even when not pressed, Roddick has shown a preference in this tournament for hitting most of his baseline shots up the middle of the court. It's been a smart play so far because none of the players Roddick has faced in the last three rounds (including Shalken) has had a single shot or the overall baseline game to hit winners off that placement.

Hitting balls, even deep ones, up the middle of the court, however, is the last thing you want to do against Roger. It gives his forehand too many options. If that is how Roddick is going to play from the baseline in order to cut down on his UFE's, then he has no chance.

He may have no choice. Roger hits an impossible ball. While Andy's shots sit up because of the topspin he puts on them, Roger's shots stay low and often skid through the court, not just on his slice shots, but also on most of his drives. In effect, that means that Andy is going to have a hard time picking up the ball off the ground and lifting it over the higher part of the net. With Andy having to hit up on the ball, the chances are most of those shots are going to land in the vicinity of the center of the court, whether short or deep. Roger's forehands is going to have a feast day.

One more point, Grosjean and Hewitt's baseline games are much different than Roddick's. Both of them are more capable than Roddick, particularly off the backhand, to hit shots down the line. You've got to move Roger out of the middle of the court in order to be more effective against him. Problem is that this strategy so far has only served to prolong the misery. Roger has no problem winning points when forced into the corners of the court. He does so primarily by running around his forehand. Big Trouble. His topspin backhand has also been finding the sidelines quite consistently throughout the two weeks. And, then there is the shot that would drive me crazy. So, you've got him on the run. Roger hits a short, sharply angled slice backhand. Now, you're the one on the run, sideways and forward, having to hit up, more so with Roddick because of his extreme grips. Roger wins the point with a medium paced passing shot.

Once Roger returns Andy's serve, something I might add that neither Mario or Sheng had problem doing (and they are nowhere near the returner Roger is), it is really all over. Roger has just too many options and Roddick's best shot other than his serve, his forehand, actually helps Roger to set up a number of them.

Hence, I'm predicting a very one-sided victory for Roger, 6-2, 6-4, 6-3.

Ballbuster
07-03-2004, 08:05 PM
For the record, I'm going to officially retract my pick that Duckboy would beat Club Fed in straights that I made in a previous thread. I was drunk at the time, and you can't hold persons responsible for what they say/do when they're drunk.

JJTennisMan
07-03-2004, 08:19 PM
Hence, I'm predicting a very one-sided victory for Roger, 6-2, 6-4, 6-3.

Oh, shut up... The match WILL be CLOSE!

pinky
07-03-2004, 08:23 PM
No one mentioned it yet, but to me teh first set will be very important, especially for Roddick. If Roger wins it, even more without needing a tiebreak, i guess the match will be more or less over...

the cat
07-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Roddick needs to put Federer on his heels with his serve and power at the beginning of the match and win the first set.

And I hope it's a nice day to play tennis and that the rain isn't a factor.

Satanic Pasteur
07-03-2004, 08:53 PM
Here is the answer to the question at the beginning of this thread :

The last one-two in any Grand Slam was more recent, the Australian Open in 2000, when Andre Agassi (1) defeated Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

Ballbuster
07-03-2004, 09:03 PM
Roddick and Ferrero were 1-2 after the USOpen final

Marc Rosset is Tall
07-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Roddick and Ferrero were 1-2 after the USOpen final

But the question was before and not after the final.

Marc Rosset is Tall
07-03-2004, 09:08 PM
Just like Marc Rosset is tall, Federer will win this match comfortably, at worst he will lose a set.

Ginger
07-03-2004, 09:31 PM
I predict a very boring one sided final... Powerful Roddick will win it in 3 little very easy sets... Many rain delays... Roger will be pissed off and his game will fall into pieces... his S&V won't work, his serve will be slightly off and Roddick's one will be there for sure... too too too much pressure on Federer right now... Roddick will receive good advices from the best coach of the world and we will finally see the effects on Federer of having been working without a coach for too long time.... :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Havok
07-03-2004, 09:47 PM
Andy's best shot is to serve out of this world and to attack Roger's backhand with his forehand. If Andy can actually flatten out his Fh and smack some deep into roger's bh, it may pay off. I don't think there's anything else Andy can do apart from hoping he plays the match of his life because Roger has been playing awesome throughout the tournament, while Andy got through to the finals pretty much playing a "C" game the whole entire time.

Fedex
07-04-2004, 12:21 AM
I predict a very boring one sided final... Powerful Roddick will win it in 3 little very easy sets... Many rain delays... Roger will be pissed off and his game will fall into pieces... his S&V won't work, his serve will be slightly off and Roddick's one will be there for sure... too too too much pressure on Federer right now... Roddick will receive good advices from the best coach of the world and we will finally see the effects on Federer of having been working without a coach for too long time.... :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:
I'm now officially putting you on ignore :( :o :mad:

rue
07-04-2004, 03:46 AM
This will be an exciting match to watch tomorrow. These are the two best players in the world but my favorite player is Roger and I think he will pull it off. It will be a tight match, but he will come out on top in the end.

Billabong
07-04-2004, 03:48 AM
GOOOOOO ROGIIIIIIIIIII:bounce:!!!

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-04-2004, 04:19 AM
i dont have an intellectual analysis, as usual. But I will say GO ANDY. Best wishes!

Fumus
07-04-2004, 04:47 AM
Andy ace the neutral Swiss mo-fo!

Fumus
07-04-2004, 04:49 AM
Ginger...lol, I will read that post after the match and play the Andy highlights from AR.com and pretend it was so! :)

RonE
07-04-2004, 09:32 AM
Here is the answer to the question at the beginning of this thread :

The last one-two in any Grand Slam was more recent, the Australian Open in 2000, when Andre Agassi (1) defeated Yevgeny Kafelnikov.

Thats right- Agassi def. Kafelnikov 3-6,6-3,6-2,6-4 in that one.

Other recent meetings in GS finals between 1 and 2 seeds that I can remember off the top of my head:

1996 US Open: Sampras (1) def Chang (2): 6-1,6-4,7-6(3)

1995 US Open: Sampras (2) def Agassi (1): 6-4,6-3,4-6,7-5

1995 Australian Open: Agassi (2) def Sampras (1): 4-6,6-1,7-6(6),6-4

1993 Australian Open: Courier (1) def Edberg (2): 6-2,6-1,2-6,7-5

1992 Australian Open: Courier (2) def Edberg (1): 6-3,3-6,6-4,6-2

Those are the ones that I remember- 93 Wimbledon also Sampras def Courier when they were ranked no. 1 and no. 2 respectively but I think Courier was seeded 3 for that tournament.

Anyway, should be great match today, just hope there is no rain :rain:

Tennis Fool
07-04-2004, 02:28 PM
Ooo. Roddick threw in the 2 DFs. Lost concentration a bit.

MissPovaFan
07-04-2004, 02:30 PM
Federer now 4-0 up with 2 breaks!

Tennis Fool
07-04-2004, 02:44 PM
4-0 to on serve :(

Come on Fed :( :fiery:

Tennis Fool
07-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Fed won 2nd set 7/5, but should have broken Andy in the 3rd. Had 3 UFEs.

Tennis Fool
07-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Fed is soooo tight. Maybe he came out overconfident :shrug:

His gf says that he's becoming too cocky...

Aleksa's Laydee
07-04-2004, 04:01 PM
come on andy keep it up