Andy Roddick asked for a break and he got it!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Roddick asked for a break and he got it!!!!

wongqks
07-03-2004, 11:50 AM
It is not even raining and Roddick just want a break, say it is raining and referee stop it...

wongqks
07-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Every court is playing, so weird...

Possibly Andy need some coaching ;)

look for him to turn round the match now :rolleyes:

rulestheworld
07-03-2004, 12:04 PM
But none of the other courts have stopped play. He better not have done this just so he can talk to Brad, the little cheater.

*Ljubica*
07-03-2004, 12:07 PM
Well it was raining very, very lightly when Roddick walked off, but stopped in about 30 seconds - Mario complained and didn't want to stop, but by that time Duckboy was off the court. Previously he had complained and moaned about a nearby car alarm going off, and then the band that were playing in the eating area :devil: Strange that Ancic and the other players didn't complain. Now all the other matches are continuing - including Bjorkmann/Woodbridge, and words fail me about the arrogance of Duckboy :devil: :devil: so I will leave it and just quote what Boris Becker said in his commentary on TV:-

"Andy should remember this is not the Andy Roddick Show it is a Wimbledon Semi-Final".

Well said Boria and Come on Mario!!!

whirlwind
07-03-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm really pissed off. :mad: This is really weird. I hope it doesn't disturb Mario cause this is just not fair.

wongqks
07-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Well, I hope it was referee decision, not Roddick decision :fiery:

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-03-2004, 12:12 PM
maybe Andy is paranoid b/c it turned out knifeman was a hitman hired to assassinate him--yes, assassinate :)

if Mario is good enough player, this wont bother him--so i dont think there is anything to worry about

chris whiteside
07-03-2004, 12:13 PM
The whole situation is disgraceful and the umpire has allowed himself to be intimidated.

pinky
07-03-2004, 12:13 PM
Well it was raining very, very lightly when Roddick walked off, but stopped in about 30 seconds - Mario complained and didn't want to stop, but by that time Duckboy was off the court. Previously he had complained and moaned about a nearby car alarm going off, and then the band that were playing in the eating area :devil: Strange that Ancic and the other players didn't complain. Now all the other matches are continuing - including Bjorkmann/Woodbridge, and words fail me about the arrogance of Duckboy :devil: :devil: so I will leave it and just quote what Boris Becker said in his commentary on TV:-

"Andy should remember this is not the Andy Roddick Show it is a Wimbledon Semi-Final".

Well, Boris also said that he would have used the same "trick" (rain interruption)...

But honestly, and since play wasn't interrupted on any other court, i think this move will really be seen as a bad one against Andy.

zoltan83
07-03-2004, 12:14 PM

It's a referee decision.

Auscon
07-03-2004, 12:15 PM
?? What did Roddick do exactly?

pinky
07-03-2004, 12:16 PM

Basically the decision is neither.

Andy asked for an interruption, then the referee used his talkie to contact the director board or something (Allan Mills maybe) and he got the instruction to stop the play...

But all in all, Andy was the one to ask for the interruption and it wouldn't have happened without it.

zoltan83
07-03-2004, 12:16 PM
Nothing. The referee sayd : "Play suspended" before Andy start to serve.

-edit-
There was a local rain on this court soon after the play was suspended.

http://www.wimbledon.org/images/netcam/large/1/004.jpg

whirlwind
07-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Nothing. The referee sayd : "Play suspended" before Andy start to serve.

-edit-
There was a local rain on this court soon after the play was suspended.

http://www.wimbledon.org/images/netcam/large/1/004.jpg
Do you see any umbrellas on that picture?
I guess the weather is very local in Wimbledon :rolleyes: , rains on one court and not on the others.

wongqks
07-03-2004, 12:31 PM
yep, Andy broke serve :yawn:

He got lucky this time again.

Hope Roger destroy him in final just like last year semis :)

dylan24
07-03-2004, 12:33 PM
roger will take care of roddick.

zoltan83
07-03-2004, 12:42 PM
I guess the weather is very local in Wimbledon :rolleyes: , rains on one court and not on the others.

Damn... just a mistake on the pictures because there were umbrellas on the picture that I would show.

Btw, it wasn't the first time that there is rain on Center court or Court 1 and not on the others.

Havok
07-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Oh, ok.

Master Lu
07-03-2004, 12:46 PM
Brad Gilbert was supposedly cought motioning for a rain delay. Now I'm not saying it's true (didn't really hear how the comentators got ahold of that peice of info), but if it is it's just well... sad. Though I'm more pissed of then sad.

rulestheworld
07-03-2004, 12:47 PM
I used to dislike like Andy Roddick because he had an ugly game and was full of himself, but now that he has used some VERY QUESTIONABLE TACTICS (aka cheating) I can sincerely say that I hate Duckboy.

Asar
07-03-2004, 12:48 PM
oh my gas!!!!!!! is roddick has his own andy rodick show???? he is diva/divo?????what mario do????but now he break??? cuz now is rain!!!! :mad:

Willow
07-03-2004, 12:49 PM
...it wasn't raining when Roddick asked to stop...he was just serving to stay in the set, and getting his arse kicked...and this is the guy who was trying to call Karolina a cheat... :rolleyes:

:)

*Ljubica*
07-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Brad Gilbert was supposedly cought motioning for a rain delay. Now I'm not saying it's true (didn't really hear how the comentators got ahold of that peice of info), but if it is it's just well... sad. Though I'm more pissed of then sad.

Yes - well I guess that's why he called his book "Winning Ugly" - doesn't matter how you win as long as you do - even if you cheat :devil: Most people here know I don't like Roddick, but this situation means he has just sunk to new depths as far as I'm concerned - doubt Mario can come back now :sad: , - so my only hope is that Roger takes him apart in the Final.

Billabong
07-03-2004, 12:53 PM
I used to dislike like Andy Roddick because he had an ugly game and was full of himself, but now that he has used some VERY QUESTIONABLE TACTICS (aka cheating) I can sincerely say that I hate Duckboy.

Your avatar ROCKS:D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Havok
07-03-2004, 12:55 PM
Ok wait, so Andy asked for a delay, the referee had to get it "ok'd" by the dude who does that weather thing (whatever I forgot his name :o) and play was suspended. So that means anybody who would have asked for a delay woulda gotten one right?

Willow
07-03-2004, 12:59 PM
...I don't think the umpire has to get it OK'd by anyone... :confused: ...Andy just said, oh look, I think it's going to rain, can we stop...and the umpire said OK then... :)

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-03-2004, 01:01 PM
Hey, guys, who cares! The women's final is on!!!

Havok
07-03-2004, 01:01 PM
I didn't think the chair ump has the right to call play if it's raining? I usually see them get nifo from the walkie talkies and someone tells them to stop play for the moment because the conditions aren't good for play.

Havok
07-03-2004, 01:02 PM
Go Serena :banana:

MissPovaFan
07-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Hey, guys, who cares! The women's final is on!!!

Come on Maria!

Willow
07-03-2004, 01:03 PM
I didn't think the chair ump has the right to call play if it's raining? I usually see them get nifo from the walkie talkies and someone tells them to stop play for the moment because the conditions aren't good for play.

...that doesn't happen every time... :)

Havok
07-03-2004, 01:05 PM
Oh, I didn't know. Everytime I saw play stoped, I usually saw the chair ump talk in their walkie talkies. Man Sharapova looks nervous :scared:

rulestheworld
07-03-2004, 01:07 PM
Your avatar ROCKS:D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks. I like yours too. :)

Jim Jones
07-03-2004, 01:34 PM
For those who diss Roddick remember this. Always when it is raining a player who feels he needs a break will come up to the referee and ask for a rain delay. Roddick is not the first nor will he be the last player to do so. Priority is given to singles players over doubles etc..that's why Roddick/Ancic were the only one who came off the court. So for those who say the hate Roddick for what he did then should you also hate all the other players who asked for their matches to be interuppted? Lets not forget that it was Alan Mills who made the decision not Roddick!

papasmurf11
07-03-2004, 01:45 PM
I agree Jim Jones. Also know one would care if it was the player they liked but since they hate andy there making a big deal out of nothing. Most of you wouldnt have thought twice if Federer would had done it.

joeb_uk
07-03-2004, 01:46 PM
he also complained about a car alarm outside, and then some music in the background. after that he complained about mario holding him up lol

papasmurf11
07-03-2004, 01:47 PM
Alot of players complain but you guys only notice it about the players you dont like!

Arcadion
07-03-2004, 01:48 PM
Jim Jones and papasmurf I agree! There were 3 rain delays, i guess you could say the first helped ancic, the 2nd helped andy, but the 3rd delay when andy had the momentum, and still came out again and played better so you can't really blame the outcome on that.

papasmurf11
07-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Yeah thanks Arcadion people just always find things to complain about on this website.

Carito_90
07-03-2004, 01:52 PM
Boris Becker said in his commentary on TV:-

He also said he would have done the same :)

He might have asked for it, the umpire could have denied it but he didn't so it must have been for something. The same would have happened if Ancic had asked for it.

Anyway, they played three games and it started raining so.. big deal :rolleyes:
Get over the fact that Andy's in the final of Wimbledon.

joeb_uk
07-03-2004, 01:55 PM
he also seemed to have a problem with the umpire "everything you have done this match has been wrong"

joeb_uk
07-03-2004, 01:58 PM

Boris is a legend, he has been great all week! and this is a hilarious comment

Carito_90
07-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Oh, I didn't know. Everytime I saw play stoped, I usually saw the chair ump talk in their walkie talkies. Man Sharapova looks nervous

He did talk in his walkie talkie. And then he said play suspended.
This thing of complaining about everything as regards Andy has become more like a hobbie :rolleyes:

papasmurf11
07-03-2004, 02:08 PM
hahah I agree Carito its just pathetic I mean stop complaining about every little thing alot of players do it too and I dont see you complaining about them.

whirlwind
07-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Roddick won this match but having watched it, I can't say he is a better player than Ancic who just needs a little more experience in the Grand Slams. Just look at the statistics

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scores/stats/day13/1126ms.html

Coleburg83
07-03-2004, 02:14 PM
You mean other than his multiple TMS titles and his U.S. Open Slam, Ancic is a better player?

Heh if it makes you feel better.

papasmurf11
07-03-2004, 02:16 PM
hahahhaha

Havok
07-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Yeah the stats weren't great from Roddick's end, but Andy wasn't at his best, and Ancic was probably playing better than he normaly is and still lost. Ancic will get something from this tournament, and hopefully he's learn from it and get better. He has serious talent and should be inside the top 20, not where he is ranked now :retard:

whirlwind
07-03-2004, 02:21 PM
You mean other than his multiple TMS titles and his U.S. Open Slam, Ancic is a better player?

Heh if it makes you feel better.
I'm talking about the match today. And if he wasn't worried about losing in that 3rd set before that "rain break" why would he run off asking his coach for advice if he's so superior?

Coleburg83
07-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Where did you get the superior thing?

Mid-level players beat top players all the time, of course any player would try and get some advice if they can.

It's also not you on a slick court, I mean Roddick can ask for a break when he wants, the same as Ancic.

Once again, this would not be an issue if it was Federer or Ancic or Grosjean doing it. People seem to have such a problem with Roddick for some reason.

awm
07-03-2004, 02:38 PM
To the people commenting on Brad Gilbert's "Winning Ugly" book, have you actually read it? It's not about cheating, it teaches you how you can win even if you are not playing so good.

hitchhiker
07-03-2004, 02:41 PM
roddick will be mega pumped for tomorow and will raise his level as he knows he needs his best to smack the swiss man out of park

¿esquímaux?
07-03-2004, 02:43 PM

LoL! That would be local indeed! :eek:

Gonzo Hates Me!
07-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Whirlwind! Ben Harper is kick ass!!

whirlwind
07-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Whirlwind! Ben Harper is kick ass!!
I know, he's the best. No can play that Weissenborn and lapslide like him and that voice, just heavenly. Plus the Innocent Criminals kick ass too.

hitchhiker
07-03-2004, 03:06 PM
lets not pretend the rain breaks helped andy, if it didnt rain in the first place he would win 6-4 6-4 6-3

wongqks
07-03-2004, 03:37 PM
For the first time I love what Boris said. He is getting better as a commentator LOL.

But still Andy play a great match. But I thik he has to be careful from now on, coz if he question about Karolina sportsmanship. Every move he does in this tournament will be under scutiny

Goenitz_196
07-03-2004, 03:54 PM
I mean Roddick can ask for a break when he wants, the same as Ancic.

Wow. Talk about him asking at exactly the right moment.

Pea
07-03-2004, 04:34 PM
Amazing and to say Karolina cheated.:o:haha: There's hypocrisy for you.

Coleburg83
07-03-2004, 05:03 PM
I can't believe you actually equate a umpire error on a point (which wasn't Sprem's fault and no player receiving it would object that's for sure, how many balls go out right in front of players and of course they don't yell at the umpire to turn it against them, Venus has had more than her share of gifts given and taken over the years) with Andy wanting a surface break?

Heh, I mean you act as if Ancic won some tight 5 setter and that decided the match.

He would have been routed yesterday and because of thr rain, manages to get a set because Roddick had to serve on break.

¿esquímaux?
07-03-2004, 05:59 PM
Amazing and to say Karolina cheated.:o:haha: There's hypocrisy for you.

It did start raining, Andy was just the first to notice.

Master Lu
07-03-2004, 06:01 PM
*sighs*
Firstly, I actually like Andy quite a bit. Though I must admit this Wimbledon didn't really do him much good in my eyes. Anyway, that's for the hating comments.

Secondly, this wasn't Ancic's best match ever. It wasn't by a longshot. Volleys that he usually has no problem with were all over the place. Andy realised it early and exploited it. Good for him.

And lastly, why am I so pissed then? It's just the notion that there's lobbys in tennis that can move mountains that ticked me off. I'm not saying Ancic would have won the match had there have been no rain delay at that moment. No one can know that. He also had his chances in further sets that he didn't take. But just the notion that a player can get a rain delay because of his and his coach's pressure on the umpire is plain wrong. Brad Gilbert was actually cought on the camera while speaking to the tournament supervisor and the umpire during the rain delay. That's just ridiculous, no matter what they discussed. They could have discussed the best way to pick daisies for all I care. It's just not something that should be alowed. And yes, before you ask, I firmly believe that Ancic would not have gotten a rain delay at that point in time had he asked for one. Andy would have made such a scene before the umpire could even blink, let alone got ahold of that walkie talkie.

There. Now flame away. :rolleyes:

Winston's Human
07-03-2004, 06:14 PM
First, regarding the rain delay, if you listened on Radio Wimbledon, you would have heard the commentators discussing how some courts had rain and others did not. Some people have trouble separating their hate from the facts.

As for the Sprem match, there is no way she did not know she had been given a free point since she served both points from the same court.

rulestheworld
07-03-2004, 06:23 PM
Why is it so ridiculous that Sprem might not have known the score? Venus didn't. Either way, it was none of Roddick's business, so he should have left the subject alone.
And it is far more outrageous for Brad Gilbert to be talking to the tournament supervisor during Roddick's match than for Sprem to forget the score. You can't just call a time-out in tennis because you think you or your player might lose. In my opinion, Gilbert and Roddick are both cheats, and I sure hope somebody in the press has the guts to call them on it.

Tricky_Forehand
07-03-2004, 06:54 PM

When Roddick pulled this stunt I immediately remember what you had posted about the exhibition in David's forum. And what really got me is the commentators here were trying their damnedest to not acknowledge Roddick's bitching & whining. He was whining about everything it seemed.

Boris's comment pretty much summed up what I was thinking. Probably just gives a precursor to US OPEN Hell.

Skyward
07-03-2004, 07:13 PM
*sighs*
Brad Gilbert was actually cought on the camera while speaking to the tournament supervisor and the umpire during the rain delay. That's just ridiculous, no matter what they discussed. They could have discussed the best way to pick daisies for all I care. It's just not something that should be alowed.

He really did? My god, sounds fishy, even if it's not against the rules.

*Ljubica*
07-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Why is it so ridiculous that Sprem might not have known the score? Venus didn't. Either way, it was none of Roddick's business, so he should have left the subject alone.
And it is far more outrageous for Brad Gilbert to be talking to the tournament supervisor during Roddick's match than for Sprem to forget the score. You can't just call a time-out in tennis because you think you or your player might lose. In my opinion, Gilbert and Roddick are both cheats, and I sure hope somebody in the press has the guts to call them on it.

:worship: Great post rulestheworld - my thoughts exactly :worship:

Ballbuster
07-03-2004, 07:56 PM
Ok i was at Wimbledon last week. The bandstand is much closer than centre court than Court 1. I was at third row centre court and couldn't hear the band. If Andy heard it, it must have been very faint, he is so childish. Maybe he should drink a pitcher of Pimms b4 he plays so he's not so uptight.

*Ljubica*
07-03-2004, 08:04 PM
Ok i was at Wimbledon last week. The bandstand is much closer than centre court than Court 1. I was at third row centre court and couldn't hear the band. If Andy heard it, it must have been very faint, he is so childish. Maybe he should drink a pitcher of Pimms b4 he plays so he's not so uptight.

Well my guess is he wouldn't have heard the band if he had been winning at that stage - he was just trying gamesmanship to unsettle Ancic in any way he could - just like walking off court when it wasn't even raining :devil: . Mind you, as Tennis724 said, he pulled the exact same stunt about the band at an exhibition event here the week before Wimbledon - complaining and getting the band stopped when none of the other players involved (David, Mark P., Goran etc) seemed to care in the slightest. So perhaps he does have super-tuned hearing - or - maybe he is just childish :baby: and likes to play the big star - I know which option I go for! And trust me gbpgbp02, if there had been a pitcher of Pimms handy at Stoke Park that day I would have gladly poured it over his spoiled arrogant little head :devil: .

Nukeman30
07-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Well my guess is he wouldn't have heard the band if he had been winning at that stage - he was just trying gamesmanship to unsettle Ancic in any way he could - just like walking off court when it wasn't even raining :devil: . Mind you, as Tennis724 said, he pulled the exact same stunt about the band at an exhibition event here the week before Wimbledon - complaining and getting the band stopped when none of the other players involved (David, Mark P., Goran etc) seemed to care in the slightest. So perhaps he does have super-tuned hearing - or - maybe he is just childish :baby: and likes to play the big star - I know which option I go for! And trust me gbpgbp02, if there had been a pitcher of Pimms handy at Stoke Park that day I would have gladly poured it over his spoiled arrogant little head :devil: .

I hope he continues to do what he feels because it is amusing to hear people like you whine about it. It is very entertaining.

*Ljubica*
07-04-2004, 10:42 AM
I hope he continues to do what he feels because it is amusing to hear people like you whine about it. It is very entertaining.

No doubt about as entertaining as I found this article to be:-

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5359376/

---

Roddick's coach unhappy over court allocation

Andy Roddick will step on to Centre Court for only the second time during this
year’s Wimbledon when he faces defending champion Roger Federer in the men’s final on Sunday.

The situation has angered the American’s coach Brad Gilbert, who feels the
second seed has not been shown enough respect by the All England Club.

“Andy is fine with it, but me as his coach I’m a little annoyed,” Gilbert told
BBC Radio Five Live.

“He is number two seed and has played five straight matches away from (Centre Court)," he said.

“He’s not like an obscure guy," he said. "He’s the U.S. Open champion, he’s an
American...”

Roddick played his first round match against Yeu-Tzuoo Wang of Taiwan on Centre Court but since then has been relegated to other stadiums.

Organisers also switched Roddick’s semi-final against Croatia’s Mario Ancic to
court one after rain caused havoc with the tournament’s schedule. Semi-finals
are normally played on Centre Court.

“It’s a little peculiar but, you know what, tomorrow’s a new day,” Gilbert said.

The whining comment - "It's not like he's an obscure guy.....he's an American..." has had me laughiung since I read it! So - he's an American - so what :devil:

And before anyone points it out - I am fully aware that these comments come from Brad and not Andy.

Fedex
07-04-2004, 12:35 PM
I hope they dont use the Centre Court controversy, as an excuse When Andy loses badly to Roger. :devil:

Nukeman30
07-04-2004, 06:12 PM
“He’s not like an obscure guy," he said. "He’s the U.S. Open champion, he’s an
American...”

Why is there ellipsis in that sentance? That article wouldn't be trying to make him look bad would it? Of course i'm sure you are too much of a moron to notice it.

And please keep posting, it funny to see your irrational hatred of him.

wongqks
07-04-2004, 09:52 PM
Well when the likes of Roger Federer, Juan Carlos Ferrero and Lellydon Hewitt got push out of Arthur Ashe Stadium to grandstand and louis Armstrong during US Open, Brad Gilbert will not be complaining LOL

The American quote is hilarious.

wongqks
07-04-2004, 09:54 PM
And in case you do not relaise, wimbledon is the only grand slam which pay tremendous respect and emphasis on their past champion. Once you won one, the chance of you playing centre court all the time will be higher. I am sure Andy will win it one day, but until he did and Roger, Lleydon is still around and Henmania still last for a couple more years, expect Andy to continue to play on court 1