UK Viewers - Tuesday Nights - City Of Men (City Of God Spinoff Series) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

UK Viewers - Tuesday Nights - City Of Men (City Of God Spinoff Series)

joeb_uk
07-02-2004, 10:59 PM
just watched this movie and i must say, i thought it was great. i also liked city of god and carandiru, so im wondering if any of you can reccomend any other films from south america?

athie
07-03-2004, 12:08 AM
Cidade de Deus was interesting. Amores Perros is outstanding :D

Cris
07-03-2004, 12:16 AM
Diários de Motocicleta (The Motorcycle Diaries) is excellent! :)

Tennis Fool
07-03-2004, 12:38 AM
Nine Queens from Argentina.

joeb_uk
07-03-2004, 11:14 PM
tennis fool and cris, ive tryed ordering those two. but they dont seem to have them. i just ordered:
(carandiru)
>Central Do Brasil $15 SUBTITLES: Português, English, Francês
>O Invasor $15 SUBTITLES: Português, English, Francês
>Abril Despedaçado $19 SUBTITLES: Português, English, Francês
>Onlt O Homem Que Copiava (The man who copied) $15

joeb_uk
07-04-2004, 10:40 AM
ok thanks cris! here are some of the other movies ive been looking for:
Golden Gate (Palace II)
CARANDIRU
Pixote
Central do Brasil
O Beijo da Mulher Aranha (The Kiss of the Spider Woman)
O Invasor (The Trespasser)
Abril Despedaçado (Behind The Sun)

Bicho de Sete Cabeças
Nine Queens" (Nueve Reinas)
Vidas Secas / Barren Lives
Terra em Transe

Cidade dos Homens
O Pagador de Promessas (Keeper of Promises/The Given Word);
O Quatrilho
O Homem Que Copiava (The man who copied)
TERRA EM TRANSE
Madame Satã (Madame Satan)
Uma Vida em Segredo (Hidden Life)

O Que É Isso, Companheiro? (Four Days in September).
Bicho de Sete Cabeças
THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES
Os Matadores

found some of them, but some dont have english subs

joeb_uk
07-04-2004, 06:46 PM
any of you guys reccomend anymore? also how much is a dvd in brazil?

jazz_girl
07-04-2004, 08:45 PM
I loved 9 Reinas!!! George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh bought the rights of this movie and are making the remake...I think they're gonna call it "criminal" or something like that.

Ads
07-04-2004, 09:22 PM
I just saw "City of God" :hearts:

Gonzalo81
07-04-2004, 11:42 PM
I don´t know the name of the movie in english.....but you should see it....
"El hijo de la novia" was nominated for the oscars a few years ago as best foreign movie....It´s argentinian and I really recommended to you all.....:wavey:

Cris
07-05-2004, 01:46 AM
Auto da Compadecida and Lisbela e o Prisioneiro are great. :)

Everybody is talking about 9 reinas, need to watch this too.

lizabeth..*
07-05-2004, 02:05 AM
I LOVED Y tu mamá también one of the best movies I have seen in a while!! :D

joeb_uk
07-07-2004, 08:30 PM
A searing portrayal of child crime and corruption in the slums of Brazil. PIXOTE, an abandoned eight year old boy, is picked up during a routine police sweep of Sao Paulo streets. Togethere with Lilicia, an effeminate youngster and Diego, he is taken to a juvenile detention centre where they quickly begin to learn the basics of survival, in the face of police brutality and mureder. Aided by Dito, an older almost desparately macho teenager who becomes Lilicia's lover, they manage an escape from the centre and resume their lives of petty crime. Lilicia makes contact with Cristal, a drug dealer who commissions the gang to make a cocaine delivery in Rio. They botch the job but steal enough money to buy the rights to an ageing alcoholic whore, Sueli, who becomes a mother and lover to the boys. They set her up as a decoy and casually mug her customers at gun-point, moving irrevocably from petty crime, to violence and, finally to murder.

Directed by Hector Babenco (also directed Kiss of the Spiderwoman and Ironweed)

Awarded "Best Foreign Film of the Year" - New York Critics Award and "Best Actress of the Year - Marilia Pera" - National Society of Film Critics.

I WOULD love to see this movie pixote, but its so hard to find!

soso
07-07-2004, 08:33 PM
All the movies do you spoke are with the sexy Mexican actor GAEL GARCIA BERNAL !!

Bolivero
07-12-2004, 07:06 AM
Evita :worship:

The Boys from Brazil :)

joeb_uk
07-31-2004, 04:44 PM
my movies should arrive soon! lol took the guy ages to send them off, but he sent them off last week from brazil. does anyone know how long it should take?

joeb_uk
08-25-2004, 03:16 PM
this movie is actually on sky tonight :) 10pm

adidas11
08-26-2004, 12:03 PM
Y tu mama tambiem was a great movie.

if memory serves, and I don't know if this is from south america, but "Central Station" was great as well.

~EMiLiTA~
08-26-2004, 02:55 PM
I loved "El Crimen del Padre Amaro"...it's a Mexican film (kinda South American-ish)

joeb_uk
09-28-2004, 08:31 PM
UK Viewers - Tuesday Nights - City Of Men (City Of God Spinoff Series)

Is starting on tuesday in britain on BBC 4 (channel 116 for everyone in Britain) Its on at 10:30 and is a spin off series starring The boy who played little dice and the boy who played steak and chips (In the picture they look a LOT older)

This is quite surprising, i ordered the dvd last night without knowing this. but im sure it will be something that i watch over and over, hopefully the dvd is back in stock soon