AGASSI MISSING THE US OPEN....? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AGASSI MISSING THE US OPEN....?

akin
07-02-2004, 04:29 AM
The AP surprisingly reported that Andre Agassi could miss the US Open. But he'll begin playing World Team Tennis next week for the Sacramento Capitals, so how that was deduced it beyond me. Andre on his hip injury: "The jury is still out on my hip and it's something I've struggled with on and off for a while now. Not playing the clay season and then going straight out to the grass compromised how it's feeling. I knew I wasn't physically in a position to be anywhere near my best. I'm hoping this time off, combined with being back on the hard courts, will be a good opportunity for me to feel a lot better. It's one step at a time." Hard courts being good for a bad hip? Not in anyone's lifetime.

Now here's a piece of info that slipped out during the Agassi conference call: His son, Jaden Gil almost sustained an injury worse than his dad's. "I try to allow my children to distract me as much as possible when I'm not training. Nothing can take your mind off Wimbledon more than seeing your boy fall down and almost break his nose." Ouch.

Tennis Fool
07-02-2004, 04:42 AM
Having hip problems is bad enough when you're a young player. For someone Agassi's age, it really begs retirement.

Deejay
07-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Grass and clay are alot harder to move on than any other surface, as you can slip easily on grass and slide easily on clay - which is not good for the hips. On a hardcourt however, the surface is solid and as a result movement becomes alot easier. I would of thought that Andre would do his upmost to play the Open in a couple of months...

cool
07-02-2004, 11:47 AM
I miss Assi

BaselineSmash
07-02-2004, 02:18 PM
A fully-fit Agassi against a fully-fit Roddick at the US Open, in the semis. I would have liked to have seen that. Unlikely now...

star
07-02-2004, 02:21 PM
Grass and clay are alot harder to move on than any other surface, as you can slip easily on grass and slide easily on clay - which is not good for the hips. On a hardcourt however, the surface is solid and as a result movement becomes alot easier. I would of thought that Andre would do his upmost to play the Open in a couple of months...

The hardcourts have always been more painful for Guga's hip than the clay. I think that after his surgery, he was not allowed to play on hardcourts for sometime. He began his rehabilitative play on clay courts.

BaselineSmash
07-02-2004, 03:57 PM
Guga's heyday...

Lee
07-02-2004, 05:13 PM

I have hip problem myself and running/moving on hard surface hurt a lot more than on grass or dirt. I use dirt instead of clay since I haven't run on a clay court but on dirt road.