Roger looked beatable... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger looked beatable...

Fumus
07-01-2004, 03:29 PM
I have to say after watching yesterdays match that Roger looked beatable. He looked really good but, he didn't look invulnerable. Hewitt played awesome, to get himself a set and a break off Roger. I think Hewitt could have won that match, it wasn't impossible for him.

So if you are waiting in the wings like Grosjean, Ancic and Roddick are you thinking maybe now?

P.S.

Grosjean(2-1) and Ancic(1-0) have winning records against Federer...

Boludo
07-01-2004, 03:33 PM
Wow, I never knew Roger Federer was beatable, it proves the old saying you learn something new everyday is true.

papasmurf11
07-01-2004, 03:34 PM
:p Agree completly!

Deboogle!.
07-01-2004, 03:35 PM
he's beatable but as PMac said this morning, Hewitt is about as good a fighter as they come and it took everything out of him just to force one tiebreaker and get one break. Most guys can't hang like that. PMac basically gave Grosjean no chance and said that Andy would have to "play the match of his life" to win. If it's Ancic, I think Roger will crush him.

tangerine_dream
07-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Mario vs Seb final, coming right up! :rocker2:

CmonAussie
07-01-2004, 03:54 PM
Roger vs Mario Final looking most likely!

--->>> Then Federer Express will be ruthless such as: 6-0, 6-2, 6-1...

@@ If Roddick makes the Final then he'll obviously make more of a match of it~~ potentially a good 4-setter!

*#* Somehow Roddick can win^ the best chance is if it goes to 5-sets because Federer has a very poor 5-set record {5/8} & hasn't won a 5-setter in nearly 3-years; that's why I thought Hewitt had a chance if he could have consolidated his break in the 4th set>_<..

jtipson
07-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Of course he's beatable - who isn't? Personally I think Ancic has a better chance against Federer than Roddick, but that's looking too far ahead yet.

Deboogle!.
07-01-2004, 04:07 PM
you don't think Roger would do everything in his power to crush the last person who beat him on grass and at Wimby? I do.

Ballbuster
07-01-2004, 04:11 PM
I also think he looked beatable whereas Andy's serve was enormous. I'm no Andy fan, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and pick duckboy over club Fed in straights on Sunday

Clara Bow
07-01-2004, 04:17 PM
he's beatable but as PMac said this morning, Hewitt is about as good a fighter as they come and it took everything out of him just to force one tiebreaker and get one break. Most guys can't hang like that.

I agree- we need to give credit to his opponent. Hewitt was playing great in a lot of games.

jtipson
07-01-2004, 04:20 PM
I also think he looked beatable whereas Andy's serve was enormous. I'm no Andy fan, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and pick duckboy over club Fed in straights on Sunday

I don't think Andy's serve being enormous will bother Federer - never has before. If Andy can't break Sjeng, then he's gonna have a lot of problems with Mario first.

Deboogle!.
07-01-2004, 04:21 PM
Yep, and PMac's point, as much of an idiot as he can be, was that it's just almost impossible to sustain that level for a whole match. Clearly Lleyton couldn't. And if Lleyton couldn't do it, very very few people can.

Jtipson, I don't think Mario is as good from the baseline is he? If he's serve-volleying and Andy can get returns in play, if Andy's passing shots are working he has a chance to break. He was getting Sjeng's serves back in play but then Sjeng was hitting an amazing second shot from the baseline.

On the other hand, in the third set Andy started playing a LOT better and broke him fairly easily. It will depend on Andy's level IMO

Boludo
07-01-2004, 04:25 PM
It seems that from what many posters are saying that Ancic and Grosjean might as well take their losers money now and go home, as they are only interlopers getting in the way of a Federer/Roddick final on Sunday.

Deboogle!.
07-01-2004, 04:28 PM
no way, I think Ancic could very well win. Andy's form has really been hardly convincing thusfar and Ancic played him tough just a couple weeks ago and it appears he's playing much better now.

Boludo
07-01-2004, 04:30 PM
I like Ancic a lot, but if it gets close, he will blow his chances.

Deboogle!.
07-01-2004, 04:34 PM
He didn't blow them yesterday, why would he blow them tomorrow? He looked absolutely unfazed yesterday, actually.

Boludo
07-01-2004, 04:35 PM
He didn't blow them yesterday, why would he blow them tomorrow? He looked absolutely unfazed yesterday, actually.

There is a reason he hasn't won a tournament yet, and it's not because of a lack of talent and ability.

Goenitz_196
07-01-2004, 04:35 PM
After Hewitt had broke and been broken back he also had quite a few break points in the 4th set. If he had got one of those those then who knows....

CmonAussie
07-01-2004, 04:38 PM
@@ Sharapova will beat Mauresmo to take womens crown!!!

BTW~ Speaking of MTF, Sharapova doesn't wear a bra does she???!!! #Not that I was looking or anything(^-^); I'm sure she would be a popular champion for more than 2**points!

CmonAussie
07-01-2004, 04:44 PM
After Hewitt had broke and been broken back he also had quite a few break points in the 4th set. If he had got one of those those then who knows....
:wavey:
Lleyton's blown chances:
1st Set = 2-BPs
2nd Set = 2-BPs
3rd Set = 2-BPs {got the TB but should have won 6-4}
4th Set = 5-BPs :sad: :sad: :sad:

Rocky Llegs is famous for making the most of his chances but by converting only 1/11 BPs{9%} he certainly wasted an opportunity to take Federer to a 5th Set atleast :sad: !

Anyway I have to let bygons be bygons but it I'm sure I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a sick feeling in the stomach :mad: when I'm reminded of how good Federer is & how hard Hewitt fights :angel: :worship: ~~ but to no avail in recent times :sad: !

Boludo
07-01-2004, 04:46 PM
CmonAussie, the better player won the match.

Deboogle!.
07-01-2004, 04:48 PM
There is a reason he hasn't won a tournament yet, and it's not because of a lack of talent and ability.

well like I said, he looked cool as ice yesterday. If the occasion doesn't bother him then I don't see why he'd blow chances if he gets them. He knows he was not that far from beating Andy just a couple weeks ago on the same surface. He has the confidence of beating Tim in such a huge upset, and he must know that Andy's form is not it's best right now. Now if Andy can raise his level to his best play of the tournament and Ancic has any nerves at all, Andy should win in 3 or 4, but if not, and the only indication I personally have is that NEITHER is likely to be the case, then Ancic has a really good chance. How is Mario's fitness/endurance level? He's never played this much best-of-5 tennis has he?

Scotty5
07-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Despite great fighting, rain delays, and an 'injury' time-out, Hewitt still loses 2 of the sets 6-1 and 6-0. Methinks Roger has plenty of the locker room awe factor surrounding him, which can be good for a few extra games or even a set.
I predict he'll get off to a quick start vs. Grosjean, the second set will be close, but then Roger will win the third set comfortably as the Frenchman fades.

Boludo
07-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Andy is the huge favourite, and Ancic is the one with nothing to lose and that's the only thing in his favour.

He has played quite a few 5 setters already. He played one in Australia this year when he beat Corretja, should have won that in 4. He blew a 2 sets to love against Agassi at the French. He will win the ones in Australia, because he has a lot of Croatian fans who can help him through the tight moments.

Boludo
07-01-2004, 04:54 PM
Ancic beat Benneateau in 5 sets at Wimbledon and Sluiter as well, so he has won his last 3 and he beat Schalken last year in a 5 setter as well.

CmonAussie
07-01-2004, 04:54 PM
CmonAussie, the better player won the match.
:wavey: :cool:
Boludo I know Federer is the better{more talented} player :worship: !

@@Rocky Legs Hewitt :angel: beat Sampras in USO Final 01 (7-6,6-1,6-1) :p ~~ of course Sampras is the better/more dominant/greatest Slam tally/bigger serve etc. :worship:

For me I'm more interested in which players have gutsy determination, heart, passion, willing to defy the odds & eye-of-the-tiger under pressure :angel: ! I mean Philippoussis has more talent than Hewitt but look who's made the most of their opportunities!!

YES FEDERER is BETTER, YES he played a BETTER match~~ HOWEVER Hewitt definitely had his more than enough chances, so it's sad that he didn't play the big points well :sad:

Boludo
07-01-2004, 04:57 PM
It's not a question of interest or personal favourites, Federer was the better player on the day and triumphed when it counted.

LCeh
07-01-2004, 04:57 PM
Well, most of the time Roger got great serves to get himself out of trouble, so Hewitt was not really able to do too much on those break points. I don't think Lleyton "didn't play the big points well", but was not allowed to, because of Federer's serve.

Fumus
07-01-2004, 05:16 PM
I think, if you are Grosjean you have more than a chance than Ancic does at beating Fed. Grosjean has alot of exp. and alot of talent. P-mac say he's fast but only on the offensive, I disagree. Grosjean can move on offense and defense, he's not as good at the defending and scrambling as Hewitt (who is?) but his offense is better thans Hewitts. What gives Grosjean a better chance than Ancic and maybe Roddick at beating Federer is the fact that he doesn't rely on his serve. He wins points points with his finesse, forehand, and all court game. I think he should watch some of those points in the Hewitt match and take notes, as should the Andy and Ancic. I think Grosjean's game matches well against Federer, I don't see a straight set demolishing of Seb. Seb has played awesome all tourny, and grass is probably his best surface next to fast hard court.

Fumus
07-01-2004, 05:20 PM
oo...and the thread title is just implying that Roger has looked "in-human" and almost "god like" out there for most of this Tourny. I didn't call it, Roger is beatable, I said he looked beatable. He showed he has some weaknesses and he can lose, which hadn't happened all tourny. He hasn't looked that way..

CmonAussie
07-01-2004, 05:24 PM
I think, if you are Grosjean you have more than a chance than Ancic does at beating Fed. Grosjean has alot of exp. and alot of talent. P-mac say he's fast but only on the offensive, I disagree. Grosjean can move on offense and defense, he's not as good at the defending and scrambling as Hewitt (who is?) but his offense is better thans Hewitts. What gives Grosjean a better chance than Ancic and maybe Roddick at beating Federer is the fact that he doesn't rely on his serve. He wins points points with his finesse, forehand, and all court game. I think he should watch some of those points in the Hewitt match and take notes, as should the Andy and Ancic. I think Grosjean's game matches well against Federer, I don't see a straight set demolishing of Seb. Seb has played awesome all tourny, and grass is probably his best surface next to fast hard court.
:cool:
If Seb can manage to beat Federer somehow then it would probably qualify as "upset of the year" :worship: :worship: !!! Honestly I'd be very happy for Grosjean if he can do it~~ it would be a good way to make the other guys realise that Roger isn't invincible :angel: !
@@ Seb's serve is surprisingly big; he's going to need that shot working well if he's going be any hope against Fed Express ;) !

Pea
07-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Where is the weakness he has shown? Just because he lost a set(in a tiebreaker) to Hewitt? :confused: :rolleyes: Sorry that he doesn't have a serve to rely on his whole life like rodduck. Lleyton should be credited as well, he was scrapping his way back in the match. Even Roger gave Lleyton alot of credit for winning that 2nd set.:rolleyes:

Deboogle!.
07-01-2004, 05:47 PM
Boludo, I wasn't questioning whether Mario could play A 5-set match but he's never played THIS MANY best-of-5 setters in a row - I was just asking because I don't know what his conditioning is like (maybe he doesn't even know either since he's never been in the position before?). I was just suggesting that it's another unknown in the match, not that it puts him at a disadvantage or anything.

Fumus
07-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Where is the weakness he has shown? Just because he lost a set(in a tiebreaker) to Hewitt? :confused: :rolleyes: Sorry that he doesn't have a serve to rely on his whole life like rodduck. Lleyton should be credited as well, he was scrapping his way back in the match. Even Roger gave Lleyton alot of credit for winning that 2nd set.:rolleyes:

Listen Poo, all I was saying is that Roger didn't look unbeatable and good like. He showed that he can be beaten. Yea Roger has weaknesses, he's good at hiding them but one of Roger's biggest weaknesses is lack of patience. I think he has improved this alot but Lleyton got him to error yesterday by get balls back. Strokewise, I would say his backhand could still stand to improve.

I am not saying Roger looked bad, or played poorly, don't be all defensive like that. All I am saying is that he looked beatable, there was a certain level that needed to be played at to beat Roger and we saw that yesterday. It should give these other guys some confidence and hope, just thinking to themselves that it can be done.... :D

On that note, good look to Grosjean!

Fumus
07-01-2004, 07:06 PM
“He's going to be a tough player to beat on grass. You know, he's the favorite now for the next two matches, for sure. But, you know, I don't think it's impossible." - Lleyton Hewitt, post-match yesterday. Well put Lleyton, couldn't say it any better myself..

Leo
07-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Am I being silly to think that Ancic would have the best chance of the three remaining challengers? Not a good one, but maybe slightly better than Grosjean or Roddick.

Deboogle!.
07-01-2004, 08:37 PM
The only reason I'd disagree, Leo, is because Roger seems to enjoy beating people this year who beat him before (Agassi, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Henman...)..... I think he would love a crack at the guy who was the last person to beat him both on grass and at Wimby. I think he'd absolutely relish the opportunity to smack him down for a little payback.

rue
07-01-2004, 09:05 PM
Of course he is. He is just human remember that and he even said that himself about being beatable. At some point in time he will be beat if not this year at Wimbledon then next year's grass court season.

He is not a human super machine and he could have been beat but he really hung in there and he has proved just how mentally strong he is now after having been disappointed many times in his career.

vene
07-01-2004, 10:21 PM
The only reason I'd disagree, Leo, is because Roger seems to enjoy beating people this year who beat him before (Agassi, Nalbandian, Hewitt, Henman...)..... I think he would love a crack at the guy who was the last person to beat him both on grass and at Wimby. I think he'd absolutely relish the opportunity to smack him down for a little payback.

I agree with you bunk. It seems that he makes up his mind to crush them. Like the AP article said, "Federer played the 3rd set against Hewitt with uncharacteristic fury". He has bagelled Hewitt each time they've met after the loss in DC. I think he will set out to give Ancic the beating of his life if they do meet in the final. Whether he will succeed, I don't know. If they meet, it will be a tough test for Rogi.

Shy
07-01-2004, 11:02 PM
Of course, he is beatable. If he wasn't, why his opponents would bother to show up at the match.

Skyward
07-01-2004, 11:28 PM
Lleyton is a very good returner. I'm not surprised that he had chances and was able to take a set. They almost always play tough close matches. Everybody talking about future Federer-Roddick rivalry, but Federer-Hewitt rivalry has already been going on for years. The only problem is that American networks have no interest in it.
I checked Lleyton's records a few days ago. He has winning records against every top player, except Pete Sampras(4-5) and tied with Safin and Moya( after Wimbledon). He also rarely loses three times in a row to the same player. Before Roger only Moya and Sampras were able to do that, and Pete beat him 3 times in a row in 1999 when LH was very young.

RogiFan88
07-02-2004, 12:54 AM
every player is beatable...

Rogi is expecting a tough match v. Seb... and Seb has rien a perdre and he seems confident that he can do sth to Rogi... he's not that worried.

As for Mario... who knows? IF Rogi beats Seb and meets Pandy in the F, Pandy will have revenge on his mind... he seemed to be playing out of his little mind, like he did in the USO F v. Juanqui... serving bombs... if it's Mario, then Rogi will have revenge on his beautiful mind...

But I don't think Mario is fazed by either Rogi or Pandy... he will be the underdog and get the crowd on his side.

RogiFan88
07-02-2004, 12:56 AM
Yeah, Hewitt almost always gets a set off Rogi... not at all unusual... it's more unusual for Rogi to beat Lleyt in straights... even this year.

Fedex
07-02-2004, 02:41 AM
personally i think Grosjean has the best chance to beat Federer out of all the remaining semifinalists. He has alot of weapons. If he meets Roddick, i expect him to go about buisness as usual. He loves playing Andy. Andy's game matches up very badly against Federers. And if it is Ancic, well i think Rogi might rip him to pieces, avenging his defeat to him, as he was the last player to beat Federer on grass.

LCeh
07-02-2004, 02:51 AM
I think Ancic has the best chance of beating Roger. His serve and volleying game puts Roger under pressure and does not allow him to get into rhythm.

yanchr
07-02-2004, 03:05 AM
Agree with you LCeh. Ancic was playing really well against Henman. His volleys and passing shots impressed me badly. Plus with his figure, he has a great coverage in front of the net. I think Andy will have no chance against Roger if they are in the final while Ancic stands a bigger chance.

Fedex
07-02-2004, 03:19 AM
I think the only way to successfully play Federer is by moving foward, coming to the net. However he dosent have bad records against net rushers (1-0 Sampras, 4-0 Fish, 3-0 Lopez, 1-0 Karlovic) The only player that has been very successful at this has been Henman. But he's out now.

RoddickBabe10
07-02-2004, 03:25 AM
Of course Fed is beatable, every player is, though he does a good job hiding it...

And as for who has a chance on beating Fed, I think all three of them do. Why? because anything can happen on any given day and all the semifinalists are GREAT players...

I much prefer a Federer/Roddick final though... what's more exciting than the #1 and #2 seed playing the Wimbledon Final...

Havok
07-02-2004, 03:25 AM
Well if Ancic plays like her did vs Tim and is in the finals against Fed, I'd give him a very slight chance over the other 2 to win it. Andy hasn't played well at all, its crazy how hes in the semis without a loss of a set :scared:, the only thing that can keep him in a match vs Federer is his serve, and if he finally wakes up his forehand. Grosjean I have yet to seee him on tv (slept through the bit of him vs Robby) so I don't know abuout him, but he's in fine form as well. Roger needs to let up a bit for any of these 3 to have a clear shot at winning this.

JeNn
07-02-2004, 03:33 AM
I hope Andy find his game, although it is not very suited against Rogi on any surface let alone grass. It doesn't necessarily mean Fed is better, it just means his game dovetails perfectly with Andy.

Don't underestimate Seb, he is a more powerful lleyton really.

WyveN
07-02-2004, 03:34 AM
I still think Roddick has the best chance of beating Roger.
Andy has been serving at a speed of over 130 MPH on his first serve and while it will be very difficult for him to break Roger, if he can get it into a tiebreak and then win it then he has a very good chance of victory (just about all of Roger-Roddick matches go to first set tiebreaks but Roger wins it).
Let's not forget Roger could only break the Karlovic serve once and Andy has much more game then Ivo.

Roger is certainly the favourite but I think Andy has the best opportunity to beat him of the 3 remaining players.

J. Corwin
07-02-2004, 04:12 AM
With all due respect to Seb, and I like him, I don't think he has much of a chance against Roger. Sure Seb has big groundies (especially his forehand), but Roger's is bigger and he moves around the court so quickly.

I think Mario can definitely pressure Roger with his serve and volley game. If he plays particularly well he can mess up Roger's rhythm and that will be the match.

With Andy, I don't see how Andy will beat Roger unless it is through tiebreaks. Andy has to fight and hold all his service games with his big bombs and hope he can eek out the breakers. I know Andy has it in him to raise his level but I'm not so sure since he hasn't played his best yet all through this tournament so far.

Havok
07-02-2004, 04:19 AM
Yes I doubt Seb has a shot vs Federer, but hes got game. poor guy is totally looked over :hug:

Lalitha
07-02-2004, 07:19 AM
Federer missed two very easy forehand shots during the second set tiebreak and he looked vulnerable only for that moment. But after that he immediately regrouped himself and took the next set 6-0. Just because he played badly for a couple of minutes, one can't say his level has gone down. As someone had said, only Roger is Roger's enemy.

Hingie
07-02-2004, 07:46 AM
I'd like to think that the other three players are there for a reason. While I strongly believe that Roger will win if he plays his best, the chance of him having a let down or a momentary lapse is inevitable. If he doenst have a lapse in concentration, then he should win this tournament. However, if he has an off day, I think that any of the other three players could take him out.

YinYin
07-02-2004, 07:52 AM
i think the finals will between andy and roger~~
anyway
Ancic is a good boy~~~but it seems andy is more strong(if would change future?let time to show us)
go roger

Experimentee
07-02-2004, 07:59 AM
On the contrary, I think Roger has never looked this good! Did you see that first set? I thought his play last year was subliminal, but that was something else! Hewitt didnt play bad, in fact he played well, but was still beaten 6-1 and 6-0!
If anything this proves that when Roger is on, he can blow anyone off the court. I was actually impressed with Hewitt's play, i think he would have beaten anyone on the other side of the draw, but Roger was just too good for him. Hewitt's service % was 77% in the 3rd set, which is awesome for him, yet he still lost the set! In the first set he had more winners than UE's but still lost 6-1!
I think Roger will easily cruise to his 2nd Wimbledon title now. :worship:

Experimentee
07-02-2004, 08:06 AM
Listen Poo, all I was saying is that Roger didn't look unbeatable and good like. He showed that he can be beaten. Yea Roger has weaknesses, he's good at hiding them but one of Roger's biggest weaknesses is lack of patience. I think he has improved this alot but Lleyton got him to error yesterday by get balls back. Strokewise, I would say his backhand could still stand to improve.

I am not saying Roger looked bad, or played poorly, don't be all defensive like that. All I am saying is that he looked beatable, there was a certain level that needed to be played at to beat Roger and we saw that yesterday. It should give these other guys some confidence and hope, just thinking to themselves that it can be done.... :D

On that note, good look to Grosjean!

I dont even think he looked beatable against Hewitt. He only lost one set in the TB and won the rest easily.
Even if he did look vulnerable it says something that it took Hewitt playing at his best to bring out his weaknesses.

Rex
07-02-2004, 08:16 AM
its true, if roger keeps playing this way, some one will find out how to beat him and beat him, to keep at the top, he jas got to spice up his game, like change it or volley more or even increase the service speed.

esther
07-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Good luck to Seb...and I hope mario can beat Andy nearly as much as i hope Seb can pull of an upset.

Is two semi final upsets too much to ask for??? i hope not

WyveN
07-02-2004, 09:46 AM
On the contrary, I think Roger has never looked this good!

Agreed on the ground game, wish he would serve-volley a bit more though

WyveN
07-02-2004, 09:52 AM
its true, if roger keeps playing this way, some one will find out how to beat him and beat him

What do you mean found out how to beat him? There isn't some secret formula that is going to beat any one player.

You don't think every one of Roger's opponents spends hours working on a strategy to beat him?

Everyone knew how to beat Pete
1. Return the serve
2. Get into rallys
3. Attack his backhand
4. Make him hit tough volleys

That doesn't mean many were actually able to execute that gameplan.

J. Corwin
07-02-2004, 11:08 AM
The main strategy against Roger is similar.
1. Return the serve
2. Don't get into rallies.
3. Attack his backhand (lesser of two evils).
4. Make him hit tough volleys.
5. Get him frustrated.

Crazy_Fool
07-02-2004, 11:10 AM
Good luck to Grosjean today!!!

Jazzy
07-02-2004, 11:17 AM
he'll need it against Rogi!

cool
07-02-2004, 11:52 AM
Its very very difficult to beat him in the current form

little duck
07-02-2004, 01:41 PM
BTW~ Speaking of MTF, Sharapova doesn't wear a bra does she???!!! #Not that I was looking or anything(^-^); I'm sure she would be a popular champion for more than 2**points!

Well, her tits are nothing special so she doesn't have to. Some other female players would realy be a sight without a bra... But I doubt we will ever see that :sad:

;-)

BaselineSmash
07-02-2004, 02:06 PM
Roger will lift the trophy, hopefully.

Leo
07-02-2004, 07:52 PM
Agreed on the ground game, wish he would serve-volley a bit more though

Yeah, but he couldn't afford to serve and volley against Hewitt. Federer said himself that that would have been a dumb move. Plus he didn't need to serve and volley much considering how easily he was dominating the back-court exchanges between him and the Aussie.

Skyward
07-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Yeah, but he couldn't afford to serve and volley against Hewitt. Federer said himself that that would have been a dumb move. Plus he didn't need to serve and volley much considering how easily he was dominating the back-court exchanges between him and the Aussie.

Ita. Just look at Hewitt's record against Henman, Rafter, Ivanicevic. S&V are his bread and butter.

Dirk
07-02-2004, 11:00 PM
Rogi has been coming in alot against Grosjean so far. He came in against Hewitt and only had a bad net % in the 2nd set. Most of the time he worked his way into the net but he did S&V a few times. Wyvern said it best knowing how to beat someone and doing it are two different things. Andy certainly could beat Rogi but Rogi's error count would have to be high in order for him to do so. I do think that even if Rogi is two sets down to andy he could come back and win it. I just hope Rogi can hit his serves harder in the final like he did with Hewitt.

Corey Feldman
07-02-2004, 11:56 PM
man watching roger ! one can almost be hypnotised by the magic of his shots, that last game today at 3-3 0-30 on his serve.......if there is a tennis manual for forehands, fed covered the lot in that 1 game!

FanOfHewitt
07-03-2004, 05:00 AM
Damn, why couldn't Roger serve against Hewitt the way he was against Grosjean.... Hewitt might have stood a chance...

-sOfia-
07-03-2004, 05:21 AM
man watching roger ! one can almost be hypnotised by the magic of his shots, that last game today at 3-3 0-30 on his serve.......if there is a tennis manual for forehands, fed covered the lot in that 1 game!

agree. he makes the most genius shots!the man is unbelievable!he's great :worship: :worship:

Lalitha
07-03-2004, 05:29 AM
What do you mean found out how to beat him? There isn't some secret formula that is going to beat any one player.

You don't think every one of Roger's opponents spends hours working on a strategy to beat him?

Everyone knew how to beat Pete
1. Return the serve
2. Get into rallys
3. Attack his backhand
4. Make him hit tough volleys

That doesn't mean many were actually able to execute that gameplan.

And they have to do this again and again over a period of 3-4 sets. Only very few can do that.

Ruski
07-03-2004, 06:54 AM
:wavey:
Lleyton's blown chances:
1st Set = 2-BPs
2nd Set = 2-BPs
3rd Set = 2-BPs {got the TB but should have won 6-4}
4th Set = 5-BPs :sad: :sad: :sad:

Rocky Llegs is famous for making the most of his chances but by converting only 1/11 BPs{9%} he certainly wasted an opportunity to take Federer to a 5th Set atleast :sad: !

Anyway I have to let bygons be bygons but it I'm sure I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a sick feeling in the stomach :mad: when I'm reminded of how good Federer is & how hard Hewitt fights :angel: :worship: ~~ but to no avail in recent times :sad: !

If you have a look back at the match...... It wasn't Mr. Hewitt who blew off the break point chances... It was Mr. Federer who saved those break points!!! It was a difference!!! ;)

Pea
07-03-2004, 04:28 PM
Great analysis fungus!:haha:

RonE
07-04-2004, 10:12 AM
I think the fact that Federer did look vulnerable at times against Hewitt is just a tribute to what a great competitor the Aussie really is.
I must say, I am more impressed with Federer's wins when he looks vulnerable rather than when he just blows the other guy off court. Any shmoe can have a "hot" day and play unbelievable every once in a while, but it's finding a way to win when you are not playing at your very best that seperates the men from the boys and makes a player a true champion.

The reason that Federer is at where he is right now, in many of his key matches, has been due to that characteristic. Remember in the AO when he played both Hewitt and Nalbandian- 2 players that have given him trouble in the past- he was playing below his best yet found a way to beat them.
Also remember his match against Agassi at Indian Wells- he was down break points several times against the greatest returner of all time- at 3-4 in the final set no less- and still found a way to fend off the great Andre and win.
Just one final note on that point: the final vs. Coria in Hamburg on clay, against the (arguably) best clay courter in the business- he started terribly, but worked his way into the match and by the end turned on the magic and made Coria look pretty average on his favourite surface.