Duckboy on the Jen-Serena match: [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Duckboy on the Jen-Serena match:

tennischick
07-01-2004, 12:22 PM
"I was in the bathroom. I came out and it was done."

it takes him 45 minutes to take a dump? what exactly was he doing in there? :devil:

seriously, has he ever made a positive comment about women's tennis? i'm getting sick of his snide dismissals. it's more than a tad disrespectful to the women IMO. :mad: :mad:

Neely
07-01-2004, 12:45 PM
well, I could try my best and try very hard, but I'm not sure if I could make a positive comment about this match :shrug:

actually he is right, I mean what more do you want? Nobody would care about a 6-2 6-2 after 45 minutes if it would happen between the #2 and the #70 in the world, but here in this match we saw two of the best women, two top ten players playing against each other and I'm not sure if this match would deserve any respectful or positive comment either, because if something like that happens in a quarterfinal it definitely raises some question.
Okay, maybe we could say "well played, Serena, you're on fire!" or "don't worry, Jenny, you caught a bad day". But alltogether the match was disappointing :o

I watched this match, too, and guess what I liked more? Serena vs Jenny or Andy vs Sjeng? ... the latter one of course ;)

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 12:58 PM
well, I could try my best and try very hard, but I'm not sure if I could make a positive comment about this match :shrug:

actually he is right, I mean what more do you want? Nobody would care about a 6-2 6-2 after 45 minutes if it would happen between the #2 and the #70 in the world, but here in this match we saw two of the best women, two top ten players playing against each other and I'm not sure if this match would deserve any respectful or positive comment either, because if something like that happens in a quarterfinal it definitely raises some question.
Okay, maybe we could say "well played, Serena, you're on fire!" or "don't worry, Jenny, you caught a bad day". But alltogether the match was disappointing :o

I watched this match, too, and guess what I liked more? Serena vs Jenny or Andy vs Sjeng? ... the latter one of course ;)

You couldn't make a positive comment? Serena was in great form and she destroyed a very good player. The match shouldn't be held up as a bad thing. It should impress you. Obviously it wasn't the best match to watch, but blowouts never are.

Neely
07-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Obviously it wasn't the best match to watch, but blowouts never are.
thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to say

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 01:26 PM
thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to say

Then why did you puke out so many other unnecessary words?

sigmagirl91
07-01-2004, 01:37 PM

it takes him 45 minutes to take a dump? what exactly was he doing in there? :devil:

Do you really want to know?

seriously, has he ever made a positive comment about women's tennis? i'm getting sick of his snide dismissals. it's more than a tad disrespectful to the women IMO. :mad: :mad:

Has any male player made positive comments about women's tennis?

Neely
07-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Then why did you puke out so many other unnecessary words?
and why do you even ask and puke out more unneccessary words? ;)

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 01:45 PM
why do you even ask?

Hoping you'll redeem yourself.

Neely
07-01-2004, 01:47 PM
never! :p

PerezRoldan
07-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Has any male player made positive comments about women's tennis?

Nor should they start now. I think Rios and Krajicek had it right when it came to women's tennis, though there are definitely not as many pigs on the tour then, though Casanova could be classified as one of the percentage that Krajicek was talking about.

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Nor should they start now. I think Rios and Krajicek had it right when it came to women's tennis, though there are definitely not as many pigs on the tour then, though Casanova could be classified as one of the percentage that Krajicek was talking about.

Ugh. And I good repped you.

PerezRoldan
07-01-2004, 01:52 PM
Ugh. And I good repped you.

Don't worry I am prepared to accept differences of opinion. It's Ok, I repped you back, so it's 1-1 and you haven't lost anything. :)

SanTaureau Fan
07-01-2004, 02:10 PM
Andy :haha:

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Don't worry I am prepared to accept differences of opinion. It's Ok, I repped you back, so it's 1-1 and you haven't lost anything. :)

It's the moral of the story though.

It's also worth noting that Casanova has some sort of thyroid problem. To call her a pig seems unduly harsh in light of that.

PerezRoldan
07-01-2004, 02:15 PM
It's the moral of the story though.

It's also worth noting that Casanova has some sort of thyroid problem. To call her a pig seems unduly harsh in light of that.

I said could be classified as a pig and not a pig, though I was unaware of that particular thyroid problem, so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 02:17 PM
I said could be classified as a pig and not a pig, though I was unaware of that particular thyroid problem, so thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Myriam really wasn't always that heavy, so I tend to give it some weight.

Now I am the first to admit that women's tennis blows. But it's great. And it's getting better all the time.

PerezRoldan
07-01-2004, 02:18 PM
Myriam really wasn't always that heavy, so I tend to give it some weight.

Now I am the first to admit that women's tennis blows. But it's great. And it's getting better all the time.

The women's game had to get better from where it previously was, but there is still a long way to go.

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 02:23 PM
A long way to go to what, though? People will always criticize it and hold it to a double standard no matter what. It'll never be as good (qualitywise) as men's tennis and it's foolish to bash it for not being there. But Jimmy Connors will make the US Open semifinal at age 39 and it's an incredible feat of a great champion, truly astonishing. Martina Navratilova beats a fringe Tour level clay court player on grass and the women's game has a lack of depth and blah blah blah.

So I mean, what is the standard it has to reach before it's acceptable? The problem is you cannot put any value on it. It's impossible to quantify and that's the issue. Ten years from now an unheard of baseliner from Paraguay will make the quarters of Wimbledon and lack of depth will be moaned about again. But should it be? Who is to say?

Neely
07-01-2004, 02:26 PM
well, Casanova was certainly "thicker" and more robust than most others, but I haven't seen her since long time already, so I don't know what's her current status.

I became a fan of her as I saw her with own eyes in Filderstadt last year and I even exchanged some quick words with her and the thing what counts here for me is that she makes a very nice impression and seems to be a nice person (which I can't say about everybody). BTW, I also think she has a powerful game and can do much better than she did so far.

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Casanova is good. She did crack the top 40 and I think that only skimmed her potential. Were she in tip top shape, I'm sure she'd get right back where she was and then some. But who says she'll ever beat this, you know? So she might be another who falls by the wayside.

SanTaureau Fan
07-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Without comparing it to the ATP, my problem now the WTA is that there aren't enough quality matches.

Do I want women to play like men? No.

But maybe if WTA would play in an higher level in general (improving mentally and cutting the UE), people would give them the respect they ask for.

PerezRoldan
07-01-2004, 02:31 PM
I would like to see a closer gap within the women's ranks and that's not a double standard. I have to agree that it will be very unlikely that there will be situations where wildcards win Slams or qualifiers winning Tier 1 events on the WTA.

As a number well the gap between the top 20 and the rest is very large, and I am not keen on the lack of potential upsets, though this is a personal thing. It's not right or wrong, just when I have been to Slams, I am not interested at all in watching the early round women's matches.

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Without comparing it to the ATP, my problem now the WTA is that there aren't enough quality matches.

Do I want women to play like men? No.

But maybe if WTA would play in an higher level in general (improving mentally and cutting the UE), people would give them the respect they ask for.

That criticism has been levelled and there is a grain of truth. Though I think it's easy to level it over the past year when you have so many top players in and out of the game with injuries. Women's tennis truly has hit a low. But if everybody gets healthy again, you'll see more quality matches. There were quite a few good ones in 2000/2001.

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 02:39 PM
I would like to see a closer gap within the women's ranks and that's not a double standard. I have to agree that it will be very unlikely that there will be situations where wildcards win Slams or qualifiers winning Tier 1 events on the WTA.

As a number well the gap between the top 20 and the rest is very large, and I am not keen on the lack of potential upsets, though this is a personal thing. It's not right or wrong, just when I have been to Slams, I am not interested at all in watching the early round women's matches.

That can be true, sure. But it's like this. Ten years ago, there were two players who won Slams. There were some pretenders, but eh. Now, there's probably 5 or 6 solid Slam contenders. When everybody is healthy, the top 8 seeds in a major look pretty solid on the women's side.

Now ... I am keen on a lack of upsets. Wildcards winning majors and qualifiers winning Tier I's?? The ATP suffers from the opposite problem. There is too much parity. It prevents fans from getting into tennis when the faces at the top are so constantly rotating and nobody can form a great rivalry which is really what the game feeds off of. Now clearly women's tennis suffers from the opposite problem. But I'd rather have a lack of parity than too much. Personal preference though, I suppose....

SanTaureau Fan
07-01-2004, 02:42 PM
That criticism has been levelled and there is a grain of truth. Though I think it's easy to level it over the past year when you have so many top players in and out of the game with injuries. Women's tennis truly has hit a low. But if everybody gets healthy again, you'll see more quality matches. There were quite a few good ones in 2000/2001.

Even with so many top players out of the game because of injuries, why aren't the players remaining healthy are not able to produce quality matches? That IS the problem.

Mauresmo too tense against Dementieva (Ok I can understand that), Suarez mentally not there against Dementieva, Dementieva mentally in a total rush and missed completely her match against Myskina, Capriati completely off in her matches against Serena at Wimby and Myskina at the FO.

It seems there's always something. Mentally, they are too nervous. Or physically they are too tired. Or sometimes their game is off and it's an UE festival.

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Even with so many top players out of the game because of injuries, why aren't the players remaining healthy are not able to produce quality matches? That IS the problem.

Mauresmo too tense against Dementieva (Ok I can understand that), Suarez mentally not there against Dementieva, Dementieva mentally in a total rush and missed completely her match against Myskina, Capriati completely off in her matches against Serena at Wimby and Myskina at the FO.

It seems there's always something. Mentally, they are too nervous. Or physically they are too tired. Or sometimes their game is off and it's an UE festival.

Yes, the French blew wildly. And the answer to your question is this. The remaining healthy players aren't that good and I'd never pretend they were. And when you put them on a big and unfamiliar stage, it gets horribly ugly.

Truly, Suarez-Dementieva was one of the worst matches I ever saw.

But look. The French is an example of my point. The top players were either injured (Kim, Lindsay, Justine), coming off injury and sucking ass (Serena, Venus), or just plain sucking ass (Capriati). ;) But I have to disagree. It's NOT always something. Women's tennis has been so much better than it has shown over the past year. I again cite the years 2000/2001 as a good period and I could list several great matches from those two years.

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 02:48 PM
And as for Jennifer at Wimbledon, she just got killed. Off? I don't really think so.

PerezRoldan
07-01-2004, 02:51 PM
That can be true, sure. But it's like this. Ten years ago, there were two players who won Slams. There were some pretenders, but eh. Now, there's probably 5 or 6 solid Slam contenders. When everybody is healthy, the top 8 seeds in a major look pretty solid on the women's side.

That's obvious about 2 or 3 player domination years ago, that's why I didn't bother mentioning it. I didn't find it that interesting then, but as I said before, when I have paid for my tickets to watch live tennis, I am not going to watch matches from 1st to 4th round on the womens side.

Now ... I am keen on a lack of upsets. Wildcards winning majors and qualifiers winning Tier I's?? The ATP suffers from the opposite problem. There is too much parity. It prevents fans from getting into tennis when the faces at the top are so constantly rotating and nobody can form a great rivalry which is really what the game feeds off of. Now clearly women's tennis suffers from the opposite problem. But I'd rather have a lack of parity than too much. Personal preference though, I suppose

It wouldn't work on the WTA, there aren't enough quality players to do it.
This rivalry stuff, well it's great for the media types and certain fans. It was
only one of these stars that I cared watching about, but it was others that helped move my interest in tennis from a passive one to a deeper one.

If someone is interested enough in something they will find out about it, through their own resourcefulness, it's not just stars that do this. It seems some people have forgotten that the old days of the 70s and 80s can't be gone back to, it was a boom time for tennis and not all booms last forever.

Sameness, familiarity is as boring and in my opinion worse than a deeper overall standard. I mean there are other sports as examples, there is the Euro football champs, it's not all the same ones dominating before, and the game hasn't suffered at all.

SanTaureau Fan
07-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Women's tennis has been so much better than it has shown over the past year. I again cite the years 2000/2001 as a good period and I could list several great matches from those two years.

Womens tennis peaked in 99, was good in 2000 and 2001 and since that it's getting worst and worst years after years.

It's a question of cycles I guess.

94 = WTA reached new low with an horrible Australian Open tournement.

99 = WTA at its best.

04 = WTA reached another new low.

So I guess in 2009, maybe the WTA will be at its best again.

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 03:05 PM
That's obvious about 2 or 3 player domination years ago, that's why I didn't bother mentioning it. I didn't find it that interesting then, but as I said before, when I have paid for my tickets to watch live tennis, I am not going to watch 1st through 4th round matches on the women's side.

It wouldn't work on the WTA, there aren't enough quality players to do it.
This rivalry stuff, well it's great for the media types and certain fans. It was
only one of these stars that I cared watching about, but it was others that helped move my interest in tennis from a passive one to a deeper one.

If someone is interested enough in something they will find out about it, through their own resourcefulness, it's not just stars that do this. It seems some people have forgotten that the old days of the 70s and 80s can't be gone back to, it was a boom time for tennis and not all booms last forever.

Sameness, familiarity is as boring and in my opinion worse than a deeper overall standard. I mean there are other sports as examples, there is the Euro football champs, it's not all the same ones dominating before, and the game hasn't suffered at all.

There is much the matter with this post.

First off, can't compare tennis to a team sport. Players do not play home games, they do not have automatic fans just by being from that country, there is not built-in country to country rivalry, there is no team around to be bigger than the player.

That out of the way, "It wouldn't work on the WTA, there aren't enough quality players to do it," you said that and I have no idea why. That was exactly what I said in the post you're responding to.

"I am not going to watch 1st through 4th round matches on the women's side."

You say that, then you say you're not a rivalry guy and you don't care about the stars. Well buddy, if you really weren't, you'd care about watching the 1st through 4th round matches of the women's event because you'd get to see the non stars. It can't be the lack of highest quality tennis holding you back as you have already said you don't prefer the top stars on the men's side.

I like rivalries. Tennis chooses to promote itself that way. Golf doesn't. These guys are good, they say. But one of my problems with golf (and I suspect I'm not alone), is that you have Retief Goosen winning a major and I have no idea who the fuck that is so why should I care? That is the problem! And no matter how they promote it, people go to tournaments to see Tiger, and Phil, etc. To be a fan, you need somebody to root for. When people are in and out of the winner's circle with little regularity, that keeps people from latching on.

Of course, you and I follow the game more closely, and we're not necessarily tied to things happening on the top. But you must realize most people are.

CarnivalCarnage
07-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Womens tennis peaked in 99, was good in 2000 and 2001 and since that it's getting worst and worst years after years.

99 = WTA at its best.

Don't give me that cycle shite.

PerezRoldan
07-01-2004, 03:22 PM
"I am not going to watch 1st through 4th round matches on the women's side."You say that, then you say you're not a rivalry guy and you don't care about the stars. Well buddy, if you really weren't, you'd care about watching the 1st through 4th round matches of the women's event because you'd get to see the non stars. It can't be the lack of highest quality tennis holding you back as you have already said you don't prefer the top stars on the men's side.

Ok, it's not like I have not tried and watched these matches before. It goes back to the lack of overall depth within the women's game compared to the mens game. Yes, I know I shouldn't be comparing and even allowing for the differences. From personal experience that I have sat out on the boondock courts and with about 5 other fans and have seen some outstanding matches between guys ranked between 30 - 70s, it's something that doesn't happen often enough on the WTA.

Even then I might catch these women's matches on TV, but as a general even the top players I won't watch, if I am at home, yes maybe, but I won't go out of my way to watch it.

I like rivalries. Tennis chooses to promote itself that way. Golf doesn't. These guys are good, they say. But one of my problems with golf (and I suspect I'm not alone), is that you have Retief Goosen winning a major and I have no idea who the fuck that is so why should I care? That is the problem! And no matter how they promote it, people go to tournaments to see Tiger, and Phil, etc. To be a fan, you need somebody to root for. When people are in and out of the winner's circle with little regularity, that keeps people from latching on.

Golf is a better example than football, but golf is not suffering, then again like tennis these are niche markets, it's never going to be the dominant sport anywhere. Well I know who Goosen is and I am not a golf fan at all. People in the US might go to see Tiger, Mickelson and not the others, but that is not the same everywhere else in the golfing world, there are other players plus the ones mentioned that they are interested in seeing as well, no matter how much rivalry hype they want to use.

Of course, you and I follow the game more closely, and we're not necessarily tied to things happening on the top. But you must realize most people are

Who are we meant to be catering to? It seems like that the casual fan is deemed to be of prime importance.

tangerine_dream
07-01-2004, 03:32 PM

:haha: Classic Andy! And 45 minutes, tennischickie, maybe he was constipated after that Schalken match? ;)

I'm with Andy (and practically everyone else). Women's tennis sucks. Bring back Kim and Justine!

Fumus
07-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Well maybe Andy was giving himself some self-gradifatication after the win....started thinking about Mandy in that black dress...you know that one...:lol::haha:

Fumus
07-01-2004, 03:46 PM
but 45 minutes would be a long time for that too...lol..maybe 5min even if you really take your time...hahahaha

Neely
07-01-2004, 03:47 PM
lol Fumus :haha: :lol:

Boludo
07-01-2004, 03:54 PM
I am bald and it least takes 50 minutes to fix up my hair and get it out of my eyes, so I can understand why Andy took so long.

Goenitz_196
07-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Serena was in great form and she destroyed a very good player. The match shouldn't be held up as a bad thing. It should impress you.

I would be impressed if she wasn't so bloody arrogant. And the same goes for her sister Venus too. Talk about someone who probably loses 2-3 games deliberately just stop a 6-0 6-0 defeat of everyone, making it more "interesting" for the spectators.

faboozadoo15
07-01-2004, 04:12 PM
worried about the quality of women's tennis? don't you people know that monica seles is coming back??? that always brings everybody up a few levels... just look at 95, 98, 01

Goenitz_196
07-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Monica Seles coming back? Wooo, I'm sure Serena Williams is shaking with fright.

Boludo
07-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Mohammed Ali would make a better comeback than Monica Seles. The time of Seles is gone.

Havok
07-01-2004, 04:48 PM
What a fucking dumbass thread. It was a joke, get over it :wavey:

Pea
07-01-2004, 06:32 PM
He seriously needs to keep his mouth shut.

alfonsojose
07-01-2004, 06:48 PM
I enjoy both men's and women's tennis. Women's tennis lacks depth, but most of the times the top female players show more emotions than men. Every tour has its good stuff. And it's sad when top male players trash women's tennis (Andy, first messing with Sprem and now this :rolleyes: )

YoursTruly
07-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Women's tennis always has potential, but I think in every era or generation, there are the factors that hinder it from being perfect, or there are figures on the tour who ruin the tour! :lol: The early to mid-90s was great, the late 90s went down and I missed Graf, '98/'99 was a good time. I think the new millenium got off to a bad start from 2000-2002.
I think there are great players now like the veterans in the top group, a lot of the middle age range players are good, and lots of nice people and styles from the top 50 and so on. This is my WTA. I like to watch for the players and match ups from those who are rising, to the middle group and some of the top 10. Otherwise, there isn't that much of a depth. And I think there are some players who bring down the game with how they play, how they are and what they say. It's too bad they're around like germs! :lol: By the way, I hope Kim and Justine come back soon.

Tennis Fool
07-01-2004, 10:14 PM
The level of play in the semis was outstanding today.

Thanks NBC for showing both matches in their entirety :yeah:

alfonsojose
07-01-2004, 10:16 PM
I agree. Sharapova and Davenport was good and Amelie and Serena was a killer :yeah: :cool:

Tennis Fool
07-01-2004, 10:19 PM

99 = WTA at its best.

Until last spring (2003) the ATP was boring and the "New Balls" seemingly proving to be disappointments. You remember the threads about this right? "Generation N?" and "Men's tennis is going through a very weak period."

Heck, for almost a decade boring Pete had a stranglehold on tennis and Wimbledon in particular. To see a robot run away with 5 Wimbledon in a row with hardly a challenge does not make for particularly good television.

the cat
07-02-2004, 12:13 AM
TC, Roddick is a nice guy and I don't think he meant to put down women's tennis. he just said what came to his mind. Roddick is often effusive with his praise for women's tennis or atleast Serena Williams. ;) And at Indian Wells he said he was looking forward to the propcorn match between Maria Sharapova and Sesil Karatancheva. :) But until today July 1, 2004 when women's tennis had 2 exciting Wimbledon semifinals there hasn't been much to compliment women's tennis on recently. And if not for the fine play of the Williams sisters the last 5 years women's tennis would really be in bad shape! :eek:

TC, do Roger Federer, Marat Safin, Lleyton Hewitt and Juan-Carlos Ferrero have nice things to say about women's tennis? Nyet. Thus I don't get your point about Roddick and how he doesn't compliment women's tennis. You yourself have been known to be critical of women's tennis and rightfully so. I don't think Roddick could have said anyhting positive about the Serena Williams/Jennifer Capriati match. If Roddick spoke his mind and what he believed then I accept that. He shouldn't have to make up something nice just to say something nice. Women's tennis is struggling right now and the quality of play in general is not very good.

And In general male tennis players don't think highly of women's tennis and I don't blame them. They see the women make as much as they do at the grand slams while playing about half as much tennis and that bothers the me. And I can understand that.

tennischick
07-02-2004, 12:38 AM
thanks for your post Cat. what i am reacting to is Duckboy's recent tendency to comment on WTA matches -- always snidely and negatively. in fact i have never read anything positive he had to say about the WTA. he is not alone in this of course but i really thought he had better judgment than that. i guess he's a fecking eejit after all. after allowing himself to be baited into commenting on Point-Gate i truly expected him to wise up and keep his trap shut. instead he goes on to comment on Jen-Serena. it pissed me off, especially bec just the day before Serena identified him as one of the two players she enjoys watching. feel free to defend him all you want, he still pissed me off with that comment.

and while you're busy defending the Duck, don't forget to mention the primarily POSITIVE things i have had to say about the WTA. :mad:

Hingie
07-02-2004, 12:55 AM
I think he was just kidding. I mean, I thought it was pretty funny.

J. Corwin
07-02-2004, 05:48 AM
TC, I think he was just joking. In fact, I thought of it as a compliment to Serena, on how quickly she took out her opponent. I'm sure he wishes he could beat his opponents that quickly too.

He said whatever that came to his head, and it happened to be a "bathroom joke".

¿esquímaux?
07-02-2004, 06:12 AM
What a terrible thing the say about Myriam. It is your opinion though

Lisbeth
07-02-2004, 07:49 AM
Actually Lleyton Hewitt is a big fan of women's tennis judging by how much he watches it (but he does have an ulterior motive ;) !) I can't recall anything specific he's said in favour but he did stick up for Lindsay when Pat Cash made those typically moronic comments about her :)

Lisbeth
07-02-2004, 07:52 AM
Also I don't think Roddick meant anything particulalry insulting by this even if it did come out a bit unfortunately. He just says whatever comes into his head sometimes and you can analyse that kind of guy way too much ;)

Experimentee
07-02-2004, 09:09 AM
I dont think he was trying to take a dig, they just asked him what he thought of it, and he had to be honest and say he missed it.
Maybe he likes to take his time in the toilet.

drf716
07-02-2004, 09:20 AM
i don't like when people are saying there's a low on this and a high on that especially when they say it because the players who are doing good on that year or tournament isn't their favourites.

Aurora
07-02-2004, 09:49 AM
But until today July 1, 2004 when women's tennis had 2 exciting Wimbledon semifinals there hasn't been much to compliment women's tennis on recently. And if not for the fine play of the Williams sisters the last 5 years women's tennis would really be in bad shape! :eek:

I'm not gonna state women's tennis is the best thing since sliced bread, but surely the rising of the Belgians (particularly Justine), the Russians pulling some stunts, some youngsters emerging and fading, Capriati's fighter-matches etc have made the WTA not thát boring the last 3 years. Everytime I think I've had it with the women's tour, they pull out something like Petrova beating Venus, a 12-10 third RG final, a hand, a Henin-Capriati bitchfight or ... yesterday's semis. I'm not giving up on it, I just don't expect too much anymore and now and again they surprise and awe me again.

Tennis Fool
07-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Number1Kim, what did Cash say about Lindsay :confused:

Lisbeth
07-02-2004, 02:17 PM
A few years ago Cash was on a rant about how women tennis players were all so fat and unathletic and his prime example was to the effect of "look at that Linsday Davenport, she looks more like a shotputter than a tennis player". I think Lindsay was either #1 or #2 at the time and playing really well so it was juts a stupid attention seeking thing to say.

Anyway, someone asked Lleyton (then only about 19, maybe 20) about the whole Cash WTA comment debacle in a press conference. Lleyton said that Lindsay might a big strong girl but that he thought she looked very nice and besides since she had won 3 slams to Cash's one maybe he should shut his mouth sometimes. :lol: That was pretty much his exact words. I've always suspected that Cash has never forgiven him ;)

BaselineSmash
07-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Interesting story!

Tennis Fool
07-02-2004, 03:10 PM
Lleyton likes big, strong girls :D

Havok
07-02-2004, 03:46 PM
ah TC, yes clearly every little thing Andy says about the WTA is nasty :retard: it was a quick match, he made a joke about how quick Serena demolished Capriati, yes CLEARLY he said "I hate the WTA and it needs to die." :retard:

the cat
07-02-2004, 04:47 PM
You're welcome TC. And thanks for capitolizing the C in cat. ;)

I see Roddick as the big puppy type. I think he was just trying to be funny and made a wise ass comment about the shockingly Serena Williams/Jennifer Capriati match. I know he pissed you off with his commnet, TC. But I doubt that was his intention. I don't think he meant to knock women's tennis. And I think there is mutual admiration between Roddick and Serena. :D Perhaps Roddick should have kept quiet about the situation with Karolina Sprem. But he was asked a question and he answered it. If we want tennis players to be talkative it's important that they speak their minds even if what they say isn't appreciated by all. I never blamed Sprem over that situation because it wasn't her fault. And Roddick may have kept quiet like Sprem did if he was in the same situation. He says otherwise but in the heat of the action it's impossible to tell how someone will react.

TC, you are a tremendous tennis fan who prefers men's tennis to women's tennis is I recall correctly. And I'm trying to remember the positive things you've said about the WTA but I'm so enamored with the possibilty of a Maria Sharapova - Andy Roddick Wimbledon sweep I'm not thinking straight right now. :cool:

Excellent post Swirling. :)

BaselineSmash
07-02-2004, 04:48 PM
Hmmmmh... Serena was due a mauling of Capriati, she's just a superior player.

papasmurf11
07-02-2004, 04:58 PM
hahah I think its pretty funny what Andy said its a joke and a obvious joke. Dont always take things to heart Tc.

Tennis Fool
07-02-2004, 05:56 PM
JMac said yesterday's semis restored his faith in women's tennis...

MissPovaFan
07-02-2004, 06:32 PM
JMac said yesterday's semis restored his faith in women's tennis...

Yep deifnitely! Two absolutely awesome matches! Id basically given up on Masha when the rain delay came about but her win has certainly made me feel better after Henman's loss. GO MARIA!! :) :kiss: :drool: :hearts: :smooch: :couple: :inlove:

tennischick
07-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Cat:
track down my Hingis, Graf and Serena posts for positive comments on women's tennis. also Maria Sucha (whom i persist in believing in), Paola Suarez, Gisela Dulko, Ai Sugiyama, Kim Clijsters, and Mashona Washington are players that i commented positively on within the past month. i think there's a way to do a search on someone's posts over on wtaworld if it's that important to you.

and yes i prefer men's tennis.

and by the way i don't like being falsely accused. just so you know.

the cat
07-03-2004, 09:30 PM
tennischick, I'll check out your positive posts on women's tennis when I get a chance.

And I only asked you TC, I didn't accuse you. I consider you a person of integrity. :D

I like Martina Sucha, too. She plays a natural and flowing style of tennis. :)

tennischick
07-03-2004, 11:20 PM
Cat: you have waaaaaay too much time on your hands.

at the end of the day, MY comments on women's tennis don't matter. when a top men's player makes disparaging comments about women tennis players (his comment on Sprem for example) it matters a great deal. this thread is not about ME -- it's about the fucking Duck. surely you can finds ways to defend him without attacking me? other Duckfans did and kudos to them.

faboozadoo15
07-03-2004, 11:35 PM
lol, macenroe's faith in the wta was restored when monica kicked his ass on a grasscourt on a boat... and don't let him tell you any differently.

Tennis Fool
07-03-2004, 11:39 PM
McEnroe...he's always practicing with the girls. Sometimes I wonder if he's had a "boom boom" with Capriati, Hingis or Seles :o

When does he ever see his wife?

JennyS
07-03-2004, 11:56 PM
I think I know what Andy was doing in the bathroom. This converstation was overheard at Wimbledon (and based on a scene from the sitcom Roseanne).

Mrs. Roddick : Why aren't you using your bathroom
Brad Gilbert: I can't. Andy's been there for 45 minutes
Mrs. Roddick: Maybe I should go and check on him
Brad Gilbert: I don't think this is a time when a boy needs his mother
Mrs. Roddick: What's he talking about?
Mr. Roddick: I think I know what he's talking about. And I think you know what he's talking about, if you just think about it
Brad: Yeah, Andy's finally got a friend that's not imaginary
Mrs: You don't know. He could be brushing his teeth. Or compusively washing his hands, or have something completely harmless like, chronic diarhhea
Brad: He's in there because it's the only door that has a lock on it and he's been in there 45 minutes at a time, which means he's either really really good at it. Or, really really bad at it
Mrs. Roddick: Brad don't traumatize my kid, you don't want him to turn into a serial killer.
Brad: But how much damage could he do with only one free hand?

tangerine_dream
07-04-2004, 12:29 AM
I wonder if Andy took a dump again during the Serena/Maria match?

Nukeman30
07-04-2004, 09:27 AM
at the end of the day, MY comments on women's tennis don't matter. when a top men's player makes disparaging comments about women tennis players (his comment on Sprem for example) it matters a great deal. this thread is not about ME -- it's about the fucking Duck. surely you can finds ways to defend him without attacking me? other Duckfans did and kudos to them

I find it incredibly hypocritical to critizise him about comments and in the same paragraph insult his appearence. He says what he feels, not what some hypocrite (like yourself) expect him to say.

the cat
07-06-2004, 08:51 PM
I never attacked you TC and I'm surprised you would think I did so. I have posted at some of the same tennis boards with you for a few years now and I thought I've always thought I've treated you well. Sometimes we banter back and forth on things but that's it. Sometimes it's even fun because it's never nasty. Other posters have treated you badly at times but I don't think I'm one of them.

And I don't have internet access at home anymore so I don't have too much time on my hands.

Roddickrokz91
07-07-2004, 02:15 AM

I think he meant it as a joke