Matchu
04-21-2008, 12:45 PM
So who do we think is going to get it??

I believe there are only four players that are in the Running those being:

Alun Jones
Joe Sirianni
Robert Smeets
Greg Jones

Some of you may ask why Greg Jones but he did make the Roland Garros junior final last year so he may actually get it. If Australia's youth policy is for real they will give it to Greg Jones.

scotthongkong
04-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Alun will get it for sure.

Timbo
04-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Smeets should get it...he's worked really hard to get his ranking up. Alun and Sirianni got WCs for the last two slams so they can be ruled out. Greg is too young and not good enough yet to make the most of it. Tennis Oz tends to play it safe with these things and give it to the highest ranked player who doesn't qualify...regardless of potential. Surely that means Smeets unless Luczak falls further and misses out. Can't rule out the possibilty of Tomic either...although I hope that don't stick that on him yet.

chris.chan92
04-21-2008, 10:11 PM
To be honest most of the Australians have been underachieving. So Greg Jones should get it or Luczak if needed.

Matchu
04-22-2008, 12:16 AM
To be honest most of the Australians have been underachieving. So Greg Jones should get it or Luczak if needed.

Peter Luczak has already made the main draw cut so dont worry about him. I doubt Tomic will get it after last year at Roland Garros....

aussie_fan
04-22-2008, 03:58 AM
the men's one is tough, they are all so out of form, smeets is doing ok but i think you have to give to one of the young guys, lindhal, g.jones, klein. I would be leaning towards lindhal and g.jones, maybe rewarding that final amde last year might have to do, they don't have a lot of options here.

azza
04-22-2008, 06:22 AM
Hmm the clay season just started give it anotuer 3-4 weeksand then decide on there clay results

Timbo
04-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Hmm the clay season just started give it anotuer 3-4 weeksand then decide on there clay results

I don't think they can wait that long...the likes of Klein and Jones don't have a high enough ranking to get into qualies (which should tell you something about their readiness to compete at that level). They're not likely to turn up just on the off chance TA will give them a wildcard...they will probably know two weeks in advance at the least. That's why it's more likely to be someone who's going to be there anyway, like Smeets or Lindahl (I think Nick should just creep into the qualies draw).

Matchu
05-01-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't think they can wait that long...the likes of Klein and Jones don't have a high enough ranking to get into qualies (which should tell you something about their readiness to compete at that level). They're not likely to turn up just on the off chance TA will give them a wildcard...they will probably know two weeks in advance at the least. That's why it's more likely to be someone who's going to be there anyway, like Smeets or Lindahl (I think Nick should just creep into the qualies draw).

Yeah you make a good point. Id say more than likely based on the way things are going now Robert Smeets is going to get the Wildcard which isn't all that bad, hes only one of two Aussie players in the top 200 under the age of 25. Would hold him in good stead down the track of his career if he gets to play a Grand Slam outside of Australia this year.

scotthongkong
05-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Actually yeah I would be happy for Robert to get it as Alun is playing really poorly at the moment and does not deserve the thing!

OZTENNIS
05-09-2008, 09:57 AM
No, Alun Jones should not get it, that would be 3 main draw wildcards for Grand Slams in a row...

Smeets has already had 3 wildcard this season...but who else is there :shrug:

Maybe a play-off would be the best idea :shrug:

I think the women's will probably go to Stosur, but I'd like Dokic to get it :p

Matchu
05-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Didn't think I would say this but Carsten Ball has got to be considered for the Wildcard now purely based on form, if he can take the challenger title in Florida he would be a huge chance.

scotthongkong
05-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Play offs would work for me too. Mens let's have Smeets, Jones .A, Sirianni and Tomic. Womens let's have Stosur, Dokic, Molik and Wheeler.

Matchu
05-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Play offs would work for me too. Mens let's have Smeets, Jones .A, Sirianni and Tomic. Womens let's have Stosur, Dokic, Molik and Wheeler.

A few things wrong with this idea

1. Its too late to hold it as those players are entered in tournaments from now until the French Open Qualifying.

2. Tomic is playing junior Roland Garros this year and would be very hard for him to play both events considering he has the chance to win the junior grand slam this year.

3. Smeets, Jones and Sirianni are all out of form and likely first round losers.

I say lets go with Carsten Ball give him a go, hes in form.

BaggyGreen92
05-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Carsten Ball or Colin Ebelithe

scotthongkong
05-10-2008, 11:19 PM
A few things wrong with this idea

1. Its too late to hold it as those players are entered in tournaments from now until the French Open Qualifying.

2. Tomic is playing junior Roland Garros this year and would be very hard for him to play both events considering he has the chance to win the junior grand slam this year.

3. Smeets, Jones and Sirianni are all out of form and likely first round losers.

I say lets go with Carsten Ball give him a go, hes in form.

O.K Matchu I am convinced. Give it to Carsten..............would you give the other one to Jelena Dokic too?

Matchu
05-10-2008, 11:39 PM
O.K Matchu I am convinced. Give it to Carsten..............would you give the other one to Jelena Dokic too?

Come on man we dont need sarcasim, I was just saying that Tennis Australia has a youth policy and they like to pick players in form like Luczak last year. Carsten Ball is the only player that has made it past the the quarters in a Challenger that is in the running for the Wildcard. Plus Ball has been playing on clay when he made that final and the rest have been playing on hard courts.

Carsten Ball defeated John Isner, Isner took a set off Federer last year. Alun Jones will probably lose he has been shocking as of late, Sirianni is on the verge of retirement with who he has been losing too. Smeets is going ok but no challenger final showing or anything of that sort.

By the way Im not sure if anyone has noticed but neither Alun Jones or Robert Smeets are on the French Open qualifying entry list, I pressume both intend on skipping the French and play challengers.

scotthongkong
05-11-2008, 05:07 AM
Come on man we dont need sarcasim, I was just saying that Tennis Australia has a youth policy and they like to pick players in form like Luczak last year. Carsten Ball is the only player that has made it past the the quarters in a Challenger that is in the running for the Wildcard. Plus Ball has been playing on clay when he made that final and the rest have been playing on hard courts.

Carsten Ball defeated John Isner, Isner took a set off Federer last year. Alun Jones will probably lose he has been shocking as of late, Sirianni is on the verge of retirement with who he has been losing too. Smeets is going ok but no challenger final showing or anything of that sort.

By the way Im not sure if anyone has noticed but neither Alun Jones or Robert Smeets are on the French Open qualifying entry list, I pressume both intend on skipping the French and play challengers.

I wasn't being sarcastic at all! I agree with you and I just wanted your opinion as like you I think we should reward players who have form on the board and Jelena, like Carsten has that too! I suspect though that TA will give it to struggling Molik or injured Moore. Sorry if I offended you as I think your posts and views are great!

aussie_fan
05-11-2008, 05:10 AM
who really knows with this wc, they're going to give to a junior most likely, ball is the only one in good form, tough choice for TA here.

zizz
05-11-2008, 06:34 AM
I am sure they wont give a wildcard to an old guy any more, I think Luczak was the last one to benefit from that last year, and that was mainly because such an outstanding run on the challenger circuit. I'll put my money on Klein or Jones to get a WC. Unless Smeets does well these last few weeks on clay. But Jones and Siriani are def out I think.
Good luck to the Aussies in RG and hope that Lleyton gets better till then, it would be a shame to see the whole CC season go wasted for him

Sean.J.S.
05-12-2008, 08:45 AM
When is the Australian WC for 2008 Roland Garros announced?

aussie_fan
05-12-2008, 10:31 AM
hopefully soon

Timbo
05-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I think it would be a bit unfair to give it to Ball on the basis of one Challenger result. Smeets has been steadily improving his ranking for 3 years. Having said that, it's hard to see any of them taking full advantage of it any winning any matches. On that basis, I think TA will go for the highest ranked non-qualifier or a real youngster like Klein, Jones or Tomic. But they may as well give it to Todd Reid!

Matchu
05-12-2008, 09:51 PM
I think it would be a bit unfair to give it to Ball on the basis of one Challenger result. Smeets has been steadily improving his ranking for 3 years. Having said that, it's hard to see any of them taking full advantage of it any winning any matches. On that basis, I think TA will go for the highest ranked non-qualifier or a real youngster like Klein, Jones or Tomic. But they may as well give it to Todd Reid!

On closer inspection there are only three aussies in Europe at the moment Luczak, Smeets, Sirianni. Now I'm thinking they are going to give it to Smeets because he is in regular form and is in Europe, French Open qualies start next week... Sirianni has entered the Quali list so I doubt hes going to get it. Robert Smeets is going to the French Open main draw Im 99% sure now.

scotthongkong
05-13-2008, 12:10 PM
On closer inspection there are only three aussies in Europe at the moment Luczak, Smeets, Sirianni. Now I'm thinking they are going to give it to Smeets because he is in regular form and is in Europe, French Open qualies start next week... Sirianni has entered the Quali list so I doubt hes going to get it. Robert Smeets is going to the French Open main draw Im 99% sure now.

After losing first round in Morocco!

Matchu
05-13-2008, 01:46 PM
After losing first round in Morocco!

Dude its a good feild in Morocco, If Carsten Ball makes another run this week then I really dont know whos going to get it..

Matchu
05-14-2008, 05:15 AM
Smeets and Stosur to play French Open

Melbourne,14 May 2008
Tennis Australia

Robert Smeets and Sam Stosur have received wildcards into the French Open main draw.

Getty Images

Queenslanders Robert Smeets and Sam Stosur have been granted wildcards into the French Open.

A reciprocal agreement between the French Tennis Federation and Tennis Australia allows the latter to pick two locals for the French Open, which starts at Roland Garros on 26 May. In return, France receives two wildcard selections for the Australian Open.

Both players are members of Tennis Australia’s elite AIS Pro Tour Program.

The news is heartening for Stosur, who only returned to the circuit at the end of April after an illness-enforced absence of nearly a year.

“Sam has fought her way back with typical determination. She has been working extremely hard to prepare for her comeback and has already beaten two top-100 players on her return,” Tennis Australia Director of Tennis Craig Tiley said.

“This is probably one of the easiest wildcard choices we have ever had to make. Sam is a former world number one doubles player and top 30 singles player who, with some matches under her belt, will quickly ascend the rankings. I know she will make the most of this opportunity,” he said.

Stosur made the third round at Roland Garros last year and, before her illness, reached a career-high ranking of 27 for eight weeks. She is now ranked 145, having made the semifinal and quarterfinal of two ITF events in the United States. She is due to play Venus Williams in the second round on clay at Rome overnight having comfortably beaten Michaella Krajicek (42) 6-3 6-2 in the first round.

The 22-year-old Smeets will make his Roland Garros debut having earned the right with a successful past twelve months lifting his ranking more than 100 places. Currently ranked 161, Smeets reached a career-high 149 in January.

“Robert continues to do the heard work and is reaping the rewards. I have no doubt his goal is to make the top 100 and if he continues on his path, he will achieve it,” Tiley said.

Speaking from Europe today, AIS Pro Tour Program head coach Brent Larkham said he was confident both players would make the most of the opportunity.

“Sam is growing in strength and match fitness and will be a dangerous opponent at Roland Garros. Robert continues to grow in confidence and develop his game and will really benefit from this opportunity,” Larkham said.

Well Smeets did end up getting it, but Stosur could have used her protected ranking and we could have given it to Alicia or Jelena...

aussie_fan
05-14-2008, 07:12 AM
stosur couldn't use her PR for some reason

Timbo
05-14-2008, 03:49 PM
Fair enough choices. Stosur has played quite well this week, and Alicia has been terrible this year. Smeets isn't in ideal form, but he would've felt justifiably hard done by if someone else had gotten it. Disappointing lack of Aussies in the qualifying though. Only Joe is having a go. It says a lot about a players ambition (or lack of) if they pass up a chance to qualify for one of the four biggest tournaments of the year. Jones has opted to play a challenger in India instead. Don't know if anyone else would've made it.

Tulipe
05-14-2008, 07:15 PM
I think Jones wouldn't win a match in the qualies in his current form...it's not a lack of ambition, just reasonable decision...

Timbo
05-15-2008, 12:00 AM
He probably wouldn't, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't try. The majors are, afterall, the pinnacle of the sport and competing in them at any level should be the aim of all players. The same can't be said of a challenger event in India. But he's within his rights to play wherever he likes.

Tulipe
05-15-2008, 03:18 PM
I also think he and clay are not best friends. There were six clay challengers, RG qualies and he's chosen the only event played on hard...don't know, I think he hasn't got too much ambitions on clay, I don't think it's the question of Grand Slams, that's just another clay court tournament for him, and I guess he'll be happy when the clay court season's over... I agree with you, it's his decision.