Clay season 2008 [Archive] - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com

Clay season 2008

Pages : 1 [2]

Truc
05-28-2008, 10:32 AM
He isn't playing so poorly, but completely crumbles in the key moments, it's so frustrating. And you can see it coming everytime, it's a heartbreak. And Sexy keeps playing dropshots, of course.
Steps serving for the set, Gilles was leading 2-0...

Now that was a quickie. ^^

10 UE, that's not so bad, but he does all of them at the worst possible moment.

tedlesurfeur
05-28-2008, 10:37 AM
6-2 is too harsh, he really isn't that bad.
I'm not desperate yet. :p

Are you kidding? This isn't Gillou playing :mad:
By the way, you can watch the match on France 4, it's more comfortable (I guess you already know that, but just in case).

Too many unforced errors..
Returns on serve are too mellow mid-court for a volley master like Stepanek.. mmh .. I'm worried :sad:

Truc
05-28-2008, 10:43 AM
I don't have France 4. I live in Germany, we get France 2 and France 3 now, but no France 4.

It's easy to write that when Steppi leads 6-2 6-4 and break in the 3rd! :p
I really wasn't desperate after the 1st set, I could still see him get his game in order and win that match, and the 2nd set wasn't that bad imo until 4-4. Stepanek wasn't really better. It makes it even more painful, Gilles is choking badly.

jitterbug
05-28-2008, 10:51 AM
Gilles :sad: it's heartbreaking livescoring this.

Truc
05-28-2008, 10:54 AM
It's even more heartbreaking watching it.
He's been plain horrible since he was broken at 4-4.

He wins a game. :worship:

jitterbug
05-28-2008, 11:00 AM
He wins a game. :worship:

Bring out the champagne :worship:

.. and apple juice for me :lol:

jitterbug
05-28-2008, 11:07 AM
Nobody cares, but he will also play mixed doubles with Camille Pin.

I care :p they will play against Eric Butorac, who is one of my favourites, and Latisha Chan, who really impressed me at the AO.

Truc
05-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Well, that's a good draw for your guys then.

Steppi is quite good too, that doesn't help.
Poor guy, he is so mad. :( Stop coming to the net, Gilles, you need to win at least one more game, please!

Another UGLY UE to give Steps MP. ^^

jitterbug
05-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Don't make it too easy, Gilles :sobbing:

jitterbug
05-28-2008, 11:10 AM
:(

Allez Gilles and Edouard in the doubles :rocker2: Nasty draw there, too.

Truc
05-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Aaaaargh.

I'll :explode: if Llodra passes him in the rankings for Beijing now. Go Birdman.

gambit84
05-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Aaaaargh.

I'll :explode: if Llodra passes him in the rankings for Beijing now. Go Birdman.

fran when the race for beijing will be closed?

very disappointed but very tough match, no surprises

Gillu :hug:

Truc
05-28-2008, 12:14 PM
After RG. It probably won't be a problem because I doubt Jo will have recovered in time anyway. But I don't like Llodra (even though I do appreciate his game, I just don't like the guy) and I want Gillou to stay ahead of him.

Did you watch the match, Raffaele? What did you think of it?

I know I'm totally biased when it comes to Gillou, but I still find the result a bit harsh. OK, he got completely frustrated at the end and was playing poorly then, but for the rest, it wasn't one of his notorious embarrassing performances for me.
I had during a long time the feeling his game was almost there, but he was too tense, a bit unlucky, the scoreline was getting more and more worrying and Steppi was playing clever too, he was a terrible match-up for him anyway, with all these dropshots, giving him nothing to counter... That's how it felt for me. More a heartbreak than an embarrassing performance.

gambit84
05-28-2008, 12:24 PM
unfortunately the italian direction showed only few games of the match and so I have no idea :(
but knowuing well both players I can imagine easly how the match is evolved :fiery:
today Gillu had to play at the best his best shot, the passing, but it's not and easy work against sexy

bad loss but no surprises

Truc
05-28-2008, 01:13 PM
They didn't show it here either, but I've subscribed to the ES livestream. There are no comments, so I only have my own judgement, that's why I need your opinions.
And there are no reports either about the match, it's just Simon hopeless/Simon bitch slapped/etc. everywhere (they're too busy drooling over Santoro the GOAT). I could cry. :sad:

I've seen so many mugs matches since the beginning of the tournament and I feel like he could have beaten many of these guys.

gambit84
05-28-2008, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=Truc;7108869] I could cry. :sad:
/QUOTE]

no Fran :hug: :hug: :hug:

you know, very unlucky draw, veru tough opponent. Doing a good job on grass (he can play well on it) he'll be a seeded player in Wimbledon where he has no points to defend. He'll play a very good torunament there, I'm sure :hug:

Truc
05-28-2008, 03:06 PM
You're so cute, Raffaele! ;) I've always thought he sucks on grass, but if you mean he can play well on it... He's playing Warsaw on clay instead of a grass tournament as preparation for Wimbledon, though!

But I wanted him to do well in Paris so he finally gets some recognition. :( Nobody cares about Wimbledon in France. And this lack of recognition is killing me as much as his bad draw.

Truc
05-28-2008, 03:07 PM
I've finally found a post-match reaction. (And sorry for the drooling, Ted, but I have to say he looks really hot in it):
http://video.lequipe.fr/video/iLyROoafYVkd.html
He knew it was going to be a tough match, but he was hoping it would be a big fight. Unfortunately he played a very good Stepanek today who really didn't miss much and was better than him in many departments (especially the serve and the return), so it ended up being quite painful, contrary to his expectations.

Truc
05-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Apparently he needed just a win today to be safe for the Olympics.
http://www.liberation.fr/actualite/sports/rolandgarros/suivi_francais/328605.FR.php?rss=true&xtor=RSS-450
"I was also keeping an eye on the qualification for the Olympic Games. I'm in a good position, but I can't do much anymore now. I'm 300 points ahead of Llodra, so we have to wait and see what the others will do."

tedlesurfeur
05-28-2008, 08:25 PM
And sorry for the drooling, Ted, but I have to say he looks really hot in it :)

Yeah well, I'm not always talking about tennis, please don't think I'm some kind of rabat-joie, talk about sexy Gillou as long as you want :worship:

PFFF I'm so frustrated about today.. thank God Misha and Ana won.. :rolleyes:

gambit84
05-28-2008, 08:33 PM
and Ana won.. :rolleyes:

:ras:

gambit84
05-28-2008, 08:38 PM
I've always thought he sucks on grass, but if you mean he can play well on it...

last year in wimbledon he was the only player who was able to contrast Misha before of that unluckly match of the russian against Nadal
he lost in 5 sets ;) and Misha was playing very well in that period

Truc
05-28-2008, 10:23 PM
Yes, you're right, he often wins a couple of matches in England. I've only seen his matches in Halle and I don't think he has ever won a set.

A few more reactions here:
http://www.welovetennis.fr/interview/gilles-simon-l-cest-ma-faute-jaurais-du-etre-tete-de-serie-r/id-menu-307.html
"It hurts. I tried to do my best, but I wasn't even able to enjoy it a little bit on the court, it's very frustrating. He managed to play with the wind, confused me, dealed with the close start better. Nothing was working.

Any regret about this tough draw?
I didn't do what I needed to do in order to be seeded, it's my fault, I should have been seeded. I should be able to do very well in this tournament, on a surface I like, in front of a crowd I like. I didn't go as far as I wanted to in Rome and Hamburg, that's why I added Casablanca in last minute, but it wasn't enough.

There is a race for the Olympic Games among the French players, is it a big goal for you?
Yes, I'm keeping an eye on it, but things can still change a lot during Roland-Garros. I was qualified as the 4th player so far, in a good position. Now, maybe Jo's injury will make another spot available, I don't know. But unlike the other ones, I can't really do anything to improve my ranking anymore in the next 2 weeks."

tedlesurfeur
05-28-2008, 10:26 PM
last year in wimbledon he was the only player who was able to contrast Misha before of that unluckly match of the russian against Nadal
he lost in 5 sets ;) and Misha was playing very well in that period

How can you love Misha and not Ana, I don't understand :o I thought we had the same tastes for everything, what a disillusion :o

gambit84
05-28-2008, 10:44 PM
How can you love Misha and not Ana, I don't understand :o I thought we had the same tastes for everything, what a disillusion :o

Misha embodys an angel, Ana doesn't :devil:

Acer
05-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Radek fucking Stepanek out of all people! God I CANNOT fucking abide him! Excuse me for having such a rant but the guy, excuse me, beast is unbearable. Surtout ce signe qu'il faisait avec la main, vous savez, comme un fourche. UGH.

Scotso
05-29-2008, 05:43 AM
God I CANNOT fucking abide him!

I love this sentence so much. :lol:

Truc
05-29-2008, 07:12 AM
If you don't like Sexy, it must have been a real torture indeed!
At least I like Radek, he makes me laugh. He can be a total pain in the ass, but I enjoy watching him.
I'm still depressed, though.

In L’Equipe today:
IL Y AVAIT une petite flamme, un espoir secret. Revenu samedi à Paris – sans même prendre la douche – de Casablanca sitôt la finale gagnée, trophée sous le bras, Gilles Simon, dans une bonne passe, se plaisait à imaginer de belles choses à Roland-Garros. Patatras ! Sous le vent, le talent colossal de Radek Stepanek, récent vainqueur en quarts à Rome de Federer, a ventilé les illusions du Français, impuissant, surclassé, chamboulé par le jeu tout en toucher et en contretemps du Tchèque. « Ça fait mal, c’est frustrant. Mais, sur le match d’aujourd’hui, j’ai vraiment essayé de faire de mon mieux, racontait l’élève de Thierry Tulasne. Ç’a duré deux heures, ça veut dire qu’il y a eu combat quandmême. De son côté, il a très bien cassé le rythme, il a fait un sans-faute et je crois que c’est un joueur à surveiller pour la suite du tournoi. »
He came back from Casablanca on Saturday already - without having even taken a shower :lol: -, secretly hoping to do great things in Roland-Garros. Crash! Under windy conditions, the colossal talent of Stepanek crushed the illusions of Gillou who was helpless, outplayed and confused by the game full of touch and 'off-beat' of his opponent.
'It hurts, it’s frustrating. But I really tried to do my best during today’s match. It lasted two hours, it means there was a fight. He was really good at breaking the rhythm, it was a faultless performance from him and I think you have to watch him for the rest of the tournament.'

Truc
05-29-2008, 07:21 AM
So none of you guys has seen the match? We need to decide between Ted and me - I quite agree with Gilles' statements, while Ted seems so horrified at his performance.

Truc
05-29-2008, 08:02 AM
He hasn't entered Stuttgart, Bastad or Gstaad after Wimbledon, btw, I thought he would play again these post-Wimbledon clay events.

gambit84
05-29-2008, 09:33 AM
what pre Wimbledon events Gillu will play?

Truc
05-29-2008, 10:46 AM
Warsaw (on clay, replaces Sopot)
Nottingham

Renaud
05-29-2008, 10:58 AM
So none of you guys has seen the match? We need to decide between Ted and me - I quite agree with Gilles' statements, while Ted seems so horrified at his performance.

I have watched the two first sets, and Gilles did not play bad at all in my opinion. Stepanek would have beaten 95% of the other players yesterday.
In 2006 he lost against Benneteau, last year against ERV, so i had hope for Gilles this year.
Anyway his performance was far better than the one of 2006 when he lost against Hernandez.
He went to the net pretty often at the beginning and was not bad at all there. It's something he changed if you compare with his match against Murrayfew weeks ago. He really needs to finish points quicklier...
I guess (hope ?) they are working on that with Tulasne before grass season.
Wrong choice in my opinion to play Warsaw and not on grass...

gambit84
05-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Warsaw (on clay, replaces Sopot)
Nottingham

don't like this choice:mad:

Truc
05-29-2008, 01:54 PM
They already lost in doubles with ERV.

You were not the person I was expecting to answer, Renaud, but thanks a lot! I'm glad you didn't see the last set. ;)
He really shouldn't crumble like he did from 4-4 in the 2nd set, he doesn't mention that at all and it can not be passed over in silence. But at least I could understand his frustration to get beaten so badly when he was indeed not that bad imo.
You saw the Hernandez match 2 years ago? :o I haven't, but I've read that (http://gilles-simon.over-blog.com/article-19114675.html) and that's why I was ready for the worse yesterday and pleasantly surprised in some regards. I was actually expecting either a great win or a disaster - and neither happened.

Truc
05-29-2008, 01:56 PM
I didn't mind the idea of playing Warsaw at first because I thought it might be a good chance for him to win a tournament.
But now I doubt he will win again after Casa, so I would also prefer him to get ready for Wimbledon.

tedlesurfeur
05-29-2008, 05:30 PM

Well, look at what he said, he said he couldn't do better on this particular day, and mind the meaning of this sentence. He knows he's played like crap. I am horrified, I really am.

It was not the worst match ever, but it's still a very crappy one. Every choice he made (well, did he make them?) were just not the right ones. He was playing like he had some kind of far behind baseline player !! but Radek would automatically come forward to the net to punish him.. But prevent Radek from coming to the net proved too difficult for Gillou as he continued on firing these ball away behind the line.. too many unforced errors. :sad:

tedlesurfeur
05-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Where's Jitterbug by the way ?? She's not coming anymore just because Ernest won against Blake ? :lol:

gambit84
05-29-2008, 08:35 PM
she's all for Erny :o

Scotso
05-29-2008, 08:39 PM
They already lost in doubles with ERV.

:mad:

He better do better in mixed with the lovely Camille.

tedlesurfeur
05-29-2008, 08:41 PM
:mad:

He better do better in mixed with the lovely Camille.

She is lovely, thank you, I thought I was the only one to think that.. :worship:
I don't know what camille is worth in double though :eek:

Brego
05-29-2008, 08:45 PM
I didn't see his singles match because it was 02:00 my time. It doesn't surprise me he lost. Coming from Casa he must have been pretty tired and Sexy was going to be a big ask for him anyway.

I have a good feeling about Warsaw but I'm also glad to hear he is playing Nottingham. I think if he has the right mind set he can do well on grass. I don't think he believes he can.

Allez to Gilles and Camille for the Mixed Doubles.

gambit84
05-29-2008, 08:50 PM
Camille Pin - Maria Sharapova Melbourne '07 :tape:

tedlesurfeur
05-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Camille Pin - Maria Sharapova Melbourne '07 :tape:

Oh yeah... and so many more tough matches that she gave to top players..

.. without winning any :sad:

Even this year in Melbourne, she gave hell of a hard time to Venus.. :o

gambit84
05-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Oh yeah... and so many more tough matches that she gave to top players..

.. without winning any :sad:

Even this year in Melbourne, she gave hell of a hard time to Venus.. :o

was she the Le Monf's gf right? :rolleyes:

tedlesurfeur
05-29-2008, 10:12 PM
was she the Le Monf's gf right? :rolleyes:

No she was La Cle's girlfriend

Truc
05-30-2008, 11:31 AM
Gaël was dating Alizé Cornet, but just for a few weeks (Clément et Pin really were together for years).I didn't see his singles match because it was 02:00 my time. It doesn't surprise me he lost. Coming from Casa he must have been pretty tired and Sexy was going to be a big ask for him anyway.I don't think that was a factor. He had enough time to recover and the end of the Casablanca week really wasn't exhausting.
He looked fine to me physically. He got almost all the dropshots, and they were quite good, I've seen him slower on the court. And he fell apart in the 3rd set because of frustration, not fatigue.
I still think Casa was a good decision, it did his confidence good and probably helps him to take that defeat pretty well too (without questioning his own abilities).

barbottin
05-30-2008, 12:15 PM
She is lovely, thank you, I thought I was the only one to think that.. :worship:
I don't know what camille is worth in double though :eek:

Don't worry I think a lot of people find her lovely :hearts: including myself. Camille is an average double player.

They just won 6/3 6/3 :worship: A good victory for them considering that Chan is one of the best double player ( ranked n°8 ). Well done !

Truc
05-30-2008, 12:40 PM
And I was wondering why Barbottin was posting in the Gilles Simon forum all of a sudden... I had forgotten about his new mixed doubles partner!
Camille cracks me up. Nico Mahut said yesterday that after he lost for the 7th time in a row in the 1st round of RG, Camille came to comfort him and told him that next year, they're going on vacation together during Roland-Garros (she's lost 8 times in a row).

Brego
05-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Well done Gilles & Camille. :)

I agree with barbottin that I didn't think they had much chance against Chan and her partner. What a nice win.

Fran I was thinking more of Gilles being mentally tired more then physically tired. Like you, I agree, that Casa was a good choice. But it is a pity he didn't go further here partly because Mika Llodra is doing pretty good at RG atm. :scared:

barbottin
05-30-2008, 01:29 PM
And I was wondering why Barbottin was posting in the Gilles Simon forum all of a sudden... I had forgotten about his new mixed doubles partner!Camille cracks me up. Nico Mahut said yesterday that after he lost for the 7th time in a row in the 1st round of RG, Camille came to comfort him and told him that next year, they're going on vacation together during Roland-Garros (she's lost 8 times in a row).

That's true that I prefer women's tennis and I don't know a lot about Gilles. A.Clement inspires me mixed feelings but most of the time I think he's quite pathetic that's why I post in his forum some sarcastic comments.

A bientôt peut être :wavey:

jitterbug
05-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Gilles and Camille :hearts: they're both so pretty!

I am sad that it was Latisha Chan and Eric Butorac who lost, though :sobbing: I really like them both.

jitterbug
05-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Where's Jitterbug by the way ?? She's not coming anymore just because Ernest won against Blake ? :lol:

I'm here :bigcry: I've just been really stressed out these past couple of weeks. Even Ernests winning didn't stop me from going on a binge-shopping spree this morning.

Luckily I completely forgot that I have a credit card otherwise I probably would've bought out the whole perfume store :bigcry:

she's all for Erny :o

I heard that! :armed: :p

Brego
05-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I'm here :bigcry: I've just been really stressed out these past couple of weeks. Even Ernests winning didn't stop me from going on a binge-shopping spree this morning.

:hug::hug::hug:

jitterbug
05-30-2008, 03:15 PM
Awww, thank you :hug: :hug:

Truc
05-30-2008, 05:15 PM
Oups, I thought you were a fan of Arnaud, Barbottin! (My female intuition, as impressive as ever.) I didn't know you preferred women's tennis, I thought you were interested in Camille because of Arnaud.

Has anybody dared/bothered to calculate the new Beijing ranking? :-/

Scotso
05-30-2008, 06:23 PM
Thanks Camille for giving Gilles a win here. ;)

Oups, I thought you were a fan of Arnaud, Barbottin! (My female intuition, as impressive as ever.) I didn't know you preferred women's tennis, I thought you were interested in Camille because of Arnaud.

:lol:

tedlesurfeur
05-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Gaël was dating Alizé Cornet, but just for a few weeks (Clément et Pin really were together for years).I don't think that was a factor. He had enough time to recover and the end of the Casablanca week really wasn't exhausting.
He looked fine to me physically. He got almost all the dropshots, and they were quite good, I've seen him slower on the court. And he fell apart in the 3rd set because of frustration, not fatigue.
I still think Casa was a good decision, it did his confidence good and probably helps him to take that defeat pretty well too (without questioning his own abilities).

I disagree with you :sad: I was looking at Gillou's results last year, and after doing well in a tournament, he wouldn't so well in the one just after. Especially when you win a title, some people need more time, because if they play right after, they're still inhabited by their euphoria, and FOR SOME PEOPLE it doesn't necessarily helps..
Plus, Gillou has a very physical game (no pun intented Raff or Fran) and when you play a lot of matches like he does, there's one moment where you don't feel as fit as you could be.

I think winning Casa was good for his confidence, but it was too close to RG.. but at the same time, he needed this win..

But, to me, he was not just as quick as he could be.. fractions of seconds count in professional tennis, trust me, it already counts at my level :lol:

Brego
05-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Has anybody dared/bothered to calculate the new Beijing ranking? :-/

I think (don't quote me on this) that Llodra and Benneteau would have to make it to the SemiFinals to get by Gilles. Monfils and Serra would have to make it to the Finals and Chardy would have to win the tournament.

If Gilles hadn't won Casa - Mika would only have to make it to the round of 16 (which he has)!

Truc
05-31-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks, brego, hope you're right! I'm not sure at all Jo's spot will be available, I want Gilles to defend his 4th spot. I know Jo's doctors said 3 months, but I think he secretly hopes to be back in time for Beijing, and I would understand he goes there if only to experience the Olympic Games (he can also play in doubles with Gasquet if he isn't fit enough to really have a chance in singles). I would give it a try if I were him, I can't blame him if he does.

Truc
05-31-2008, 08:10 AM
I disagree with you :sad: I was looking at Gillou's results last year, and after doing well in a tournament, he wouldn't so well in the one just after. Especially when you win a title, some people need more time, because if they play right after, they're still inhabited by their euphoria, and FOR SOME PEOPLE it doesn't necessarily helps.. After Marseille, yes, but it was a completely different story. So much bigger and draining than this win in Casa, it was obvious he wouldn't have anything left in the tank in Rotterdam.
But that's the only time I can think of. He didn't play after Bucharest since he was injured.

He played half walking against Gicquel in Casa, had a w.o. in semi and the final against Bennet wasn't really exhausting either. It was on Saturday, he played again on Wednesday. In his mind, he was already half in Paris anyway and Casa was just a preparation for Roland. Nobody cared about his win, so he didn't have any media stuff to do and could immediately switch into "French Open" mode. Etc.
I think it would have been more stressful to spend one week in Paris getting ready, with the pressure growing because he had had such a poor claycourt season (only 2nd rounds) and the FO was his only chance of "rescue".
But I hope they will ask him the question in his next interviews, I would like to know what he thinks about it.

Truc
05-31-2008, 08:14 AM
I hope the Eurosport guys will fix their VOD service so I can take a look at his match again. I really didn't find him slow (whilst I did notice it in some other matches this year), but I guess I need to watch it again. I was so afraid all the time he might be caught up by his Roland-Garros syndrom, I was just relieved to see him play "normal" tennis.

gambit84
05-31-2008, 09:33 AM
Fran you're getting obsessed by Gillu :angel:

Truc
05-31-2008, 01:34 PM
Not more than I've been for a while now.I think (don't quote me on this) that Llodra and Benneteau would have to make it to the SemiFinals to get by Gilles.Soulage says in the Clément forum that even Benneteau only needs a 1/4 of final to qualify for Shanghai, so it should definitely be enough for Llodra if that's true.
We'll see... Go Ernito anyway.

soulage
05-31-2008, 03:07 PM
We are the 31th May, I took the ranking of last monday and calculate with the results of last year.

Gasquet : 1625 pts (- 35 pts because withdraw )
Tsonga : 1495 pts ( but he will lose the 55 points of Surbiton next week)
Mathieu : 1335 (+ 75 pts lost in 3rd round last year and always in RG)
Simon : 1030 (-30 pts)
Llodra : 906 (+75 pts lost in 3rd round last year )if he goes in 1/4 : 1006 pts ; if he goes in 1/2 : 1206 pts
Benneteau : 740 (+70 pts but always in RG) if he goes in 1/8 : 815 pts; and if he goes in 1/4 : 915 pts

Of course I'm not sure about.

Truc
05-31-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks a lot for that, Soulage! (I didn't know people are lurking in Gilles Simon's forum, I always feel like nobody else is reading here, I should watch what I post http://www.smilieportal.de/smilies/verwirrt/49.gif (http://www.smilieportal.de/)).
So I misunderstood your other post, you agree with brego.

Scotso
05-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Fran you're getting obsessed by Gillu :angel:

I think Fran definitely likes the younger men. ;) :lol:

tedlesurfeur
05-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks a lot for that, Soulage! (I didn't know people are lurking in Gilles Simon's forum, I always feel like nobody else is reading here, I should watch what I post http://www.smilieportal.de/smilies/verwirrt/49.gif (http://www.smilieportal.de/)).
So I misunderstood your other post, you agree with brego.

You tend to think it's just us ? :lol: moreover, I'm still very very new, without me, it would be what ? You, Scot, Gambit, Jitter, Brego and a few others :lol:

---------

I finally understood what you meant regarding the Casa - RG transition, and I'm changing my mind. I think you're right, he wasn't perturbed or that tired after all.

jitterbug
05-31-2008, 11:21 PM
I lurked in Gilles' thread for ages before posting :lol:

Scotso
06-01-2008, 04:26 AM
I lurked in Gilles' thread for ages before posting :lol:

That's typical of your stalker nature. :p

Brego
06-01-2008, 10:35 PM
We are the 31th May, I took the ranking of last monday and calculate with the results of last year.

Gasquet : 1625 pts (- 35 pts because withdraw )
Tsonga : 1495 pts ( but he will lose the 55 points of Surbiton next week)
Mathieu : 1335 (+ 75 pts lost in 3rd round last year and always in RG)
Simon : 1030 (-30 pts)
Llodra : 906 (+75 pts lost in 3rd round last year )if he goes in 1/4 : 1006 pts ; if he goes in 1/2 : 1206 pts
Benneteau : 740 (+70 pts but always in RG) if he goes in 1/8 : 815 pts; and if he goes in 1/4 : 915 pts

Of course I'm not sure about.

Great chart Soulage. :)

So we still have Benneteau and Monfils to worry about. :scared:

Truc
06-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Well, even Llodra seems sure he will go to the Olympics, he kept mentioning it in his post-match interviews yesterday and so did his coach (they need to take care of his shoulder problem, but it will hardly be possible since he has a very busy schedule this summer with the Olympics, etc.).
I thought he hadn't even qualified in doubles after their bad loss in the 1st round, according to an article in L'Equipe and an interview with Arnaud - so I don't get it. He must be sure that Jo won't play (or maybe he knows he will get at least a WC in doubles?) :shrug:

Truc
06-02-2008, 11:12 AM
They lost in mixed doubles.
And he will take part to some football event at the Parc des Princes this afternoon with other players (Llodra, Grosjean, Mahut...)
Care factor: zero, I know.

gambit84
06-02-2008, 01:38 PM
well a week in Paris again, good chance to spend time with his friends! relax time

he's a youg guy after all :yeah:

Brego
06-03-2008, 12:14 AM
I checked again the calculations for Gael Monfils and he will definitely have to make it to the Finals in order to beat Gilles.

I'm happy for Gael - for the success he has had here - but he can stop at the Semis.

Truc
06-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Oh, that's cute, Brego!
A semi would be my dream scenario as I think Gaël would be the 5th guy then - but it isn't very likely.

Acer
06-04-2008, 09:05 AM
I honestly can't (or want to) see Gael beat Ferrer.

tedlesurfeur
06-04-2008, 02:24 PM
bye bye the thread.. what's next ?

Truc
06-04-2008, 03:08 PM
He'll play Warsaw on clay, one more event in this thread.

soulage
06-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Update

Gasquet : 1625 pts
Tsonga : 1495 pts ( but he will lose the 55 points of Surbiton next week I think )
Mathieu : 1335 pts
Simon : 1030 pts
Monfils : 988 pts and 1238 if he goes in final and 1538 if he wins
Llodra : 906 pts
Benneteau : 815 pts

So if Tsonga don't play OG : Gasquet; Mathieu; Simon and Monfils will go :cool:

Llodra is out

jitterbug
06-05-2008, 12:29 AM
So close! :tape:

gambit84
06-05-2008, 09:43 AM
He'll play Warsaw on clay, one more event in this thread.

waiting for the end of the red clay...can't stand it :tape:

Truc
06-05-2008, 12:32 PM
Yes, I understand more and more it was the wrong decision to enter Warsaw. The other guys are practicing on grass, since they now have grass courts in Paris, and he can't because he still has this stupid Warsaw event... :rolleyes:

As for the Olympics, L'Equipe says today there are 95% chances Jo won't be ready in time, so both Gilles and Gaël will probably play there whatever happens on Friday. 95%, add to that the chances for Fed to beat Gaël...
But yes, it's pretty much a nightmare scenario for Gilles. :-/

He will play on hardcourt after Wimbledon, btw, he has entered Indianapolis. No more clay after Warsaw.

Truc
06-05-2008, 12:36 PM
"One-on-one with…Jérémy Chardy"
Most underestimated player
Gilles Simon. He’s No29 in the world, but nobody talks about him.
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2008-06-04/200806041212594521328.html

Scotso
06-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Now I love Jeremy even more :hearts:

Brego
06-05-2008, 02:41 PM
He will play on hardcourt after Wimbledon, btw, he has entered Indianapolis. No more clay after Warsaw.

Now that is a good decision of Gilles. :yeah:

I think he has no faith in his abilities to win on grass (entering Warsaw when he should be practicing on grass). :o

gambit84
06-05-2008, 05:07 PM
"One-on-one with…Jérémy Chardy"
Most underestimated player
Gilles Simon. He’s No29 in the world, but nobody talks about him.
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2008-06-04/200806041212594521328.html

:worship::worship::worship: from this moment for everyone say mean things about Jeremy :armed:

Truc
06-07-2008, 03:00 PM
So, he has definitely qualified for Beijing, in case somebody hadn't noticed!

The draw of Warsaw is out, he plays a qualifier in the first round, is in Cañas' quarter and in Davydenko's half.
:zzz:

gambit84
06-07-2008, 05:13 PM
clay again....bored

Scotso
06-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Olympics :woohoo:

Unfortunately for me, I always go to the boiling hot Washington, D.C. event... and this year it's the same week as the Olympics. So it will be lacking a ton of top players... but the one I wouldn't want to see, Roddick, is actually skipping the Olympics and playing it. :rolleyes: I think it's pretty ridiculous how he goes out of his way to avoid the top players he knows he can't beat.

Brego
06-08-2008, 03:13 AM
Singles Main Draw

[1]DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS vs CUEVAS, Pablo URU
BERLOCQ, Carlos ARG vs VANEK, Jiri CZE
KOROLEV, Evgeny RUS vs HANESCU, Victor ROU
[WC]OLEJNICZAK, Dawid POL vs [6]STARACE, Potito ITA

[4]SIMON, Gilles FRA vs QUALIFIER
GARCIA-LOPEZ, Guillermo ESP vs FOGNINI, Fabio ITA
VENTURA, Santiago ESP vs PASHANSKI, Boris SRB
HORNA, Luis PER vs [5]CANAS, Guillermo ARG

[7]GRANOLLERS, Marcel ESP vs QUALIFIER
VOLANDRI, Filippo ITA vs DANIEL, Marcos BRA
SERRA, Florent FRA vs CORIA, Guillermo ARG
[WC]JANOWICZ, Jerzy POL vs [3]MONACO, Juan ARG

[8]MONTANES, Albert ESP vs QUALIFIER
HERNANDEZ, Oscar ESP vs ROITMAN, Sergio ARG
QUALIFIER vs ODESNIK, Wayne USA
[WC]PRZYSIEZNY, Michal POL vs [2]ROBREDO, Tommy ESP

This draw is not as easy as I thought it would be. Gilles has his work cut out for him.

I like clay but quite frankly I'm ready for the grass now.

Poor Scott having to endure Andy R. :sad:

I think Marat likes to play Washington (he didn't qualify for the Olympics). Maybe he can take out Andy. :)

gambit84
06-08-2008, 09:56 AM
yes, not so easy for a seeded n.4 but possible until the semi final against Davydenko :)

Allez Gillu :angel:

p.s. Andy Roddick :rolleyes:

Truc
06-10-2008, 04:31 PM
6-1, 6 games in a row for Ch. Rochus, nice one, Gilles! :lol:
He's lucky nobody cares about that event anyway.

Oh, nice, he won a game, it was 40-40 again on his serve.

Truc
06-10-2008, 05:31 PM
*4-2 Rochus.
I know Rochus has been on fire lately for his standards, but still.
Gilles must be really wondering what the heck he's doing in Warsaw.

Can't take his BP, 5-2. ^^

Truc
06-10-2008, 05:46 PM
This time we can really close this thread, I guess!

Grenouille
06-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Gilles ?? Maybe there is a lot of money for him if he accepts to play this tournament !

Brego
06-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Well at least it will give him more time to practice on the grass for next week's tournament.

Truc
07-29-2008, 08:35 PM
He's entered Bucharest again after the USO...

Grenouille
07-29-2008, 08:36 PM
That wasn't necessary Gillou ! Take some rest !

Truc
09-06-2008, 01:42 PM
*bump* for Bucharest:

(1)(WC)Richard Gasquet (FRA)- Oscar Hernandez (ESP)
(WC)Victor Crivoi (ROU) - Qualifier
(WC)Adrian Cruciat (ROU) - Qualifier
Teimuraz Gabashvili (RUS) - (5)Ernests Gulbis (LAT)

(3)Nicolas Almagro (ESP) - Maximo Gonzalez (ARG)
Guillermo Garcia Lopez (ESP) - Mischa Zverev (GER)
Brian Dabul (ARG) - Qualifier
(6)Carlos Moya (ESP) - Qualifier

(8)Jose Acasuso (ARG) - Diego Junqueira (ARG)
Martin Vassallo Arguello (ARG) - Victor Hanescu (ROU)
Denis Gremelmayr (GER) - Jeremy Chardy (FRA)
Ivan Navarro (ESP) - (4)Paul Henri Mathieu (FRA)

(7)Marcel Granollers (ESP) - Potito Starace (ITA)
Florent Serra (FRA) - Nicolas Devilder (FRA)
Hyung Taik Lee (KOR) - Albert Montanes (ESP)
Evgeny Korolev (RUS) - (2)Gilles Simon (FRA)

He already played Korolev last year in Bucharest (and won quite easily).

Truc
09-06-2008, 04:42 PM
He isn't in the "Tablou Dublu", no Simon-Chardy this time.

Grenouille
09-07-2008, 09:25 AM
I expect an early exit :)

Truc
09-07-2008, 09:39 AM
You mean you expect another Warsaw-like performance?
This time it's quite different imo, he has 2 weeks off after Bucharest anyway, I think he'll be eager to do well.
I'm sure he badly wants to stay in the top 20.

Or why do you say that? Because of Korolev? The pressure to defend his points? The wearing effect? Another reason? Care to elaborate?

Tutu
09-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Get another Title to your name, Gilles. :yeah:

I want a Gulbis/Simon final. :banana:

jitterbug
09-07-2008, 10:15 AM
I don't want to jinx Chicken Little :lol:

Grenouille
09-07-2008, 02:43 PM
You mean you expect another Warsaw-like performance?
This time it's quite different imo, he has 2 weeks off after Bucharest anyway, I think he'll be eager to do well.
I'm sure he badly wants to stay in the top 20.

Or why do you say that? Because of Korolev? The pressure to defend his points? The wearing effect? Another reason? Care to elaborate?

I said that because I don't really the point of playing a clay event after the US Open. I didn't see the point to play one after Roland either. So I expect more or less the same result. I think he's there just because he won there last year and will get some money if he shows up a bit...

But I do hope I'm wrong and will defend his title sucessfully :D

Truc
09-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Thanks, so a "Warsaw-like performance".
I think it was the reason for his embarrassing performance in Warsaw indeed, it was a stupid scheduling move, he probably was fed up with clay after the disappointment in RG, annoyed not to be able to start his preparation on grass - and he had also won Casa just a couple of weeks before, so he was probably not dying to win another MM clay tournament.

I hope he will be in a different state of mind for Bucharest for the reasons I've mentioned (he has 2 weeks off afterwards anyway, he might need the points for his ranking and maybe he would like to play some of his countrymen on clay too since he feels stronger on that surface :p).

TMJordan
09-08-2008, 03:08 AM
Good luck defending your title, Gilles :)

Truc
09-08-2008, 04:17 PM
He plays the first match on "Semi Centrala" tomorrow, I guess that means there won't be any livestream for his match.
http://www.bcropenromania.ro/files/upload/pdf/program_tablou_principal_marti_9_septembrie.pdf

jitterbug
09-09-2008, 10:19 AM
Poussin wins 6-1 6-2 :rocker2:

Never in doubt :p saved two break points when serving for the match, though.

Truc
09-09-2008, 11:11 AM
According to L'Equipe he was even leading 5-0 in the second set.
I guess that answers the questions about his motivation.

Next: Montanes, Gilles leads 1-0 in the h2h (Stuttgart 2005).

Truc
09-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Finally a decent OOP on Centrala tomorrow, Almagro, Moya and Gilles (Not Before 4:30 PM) -> livestream!

Scotso
09-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Great win for Gilles. :yeah:

Nothing gives me more pleasure than him keeping the plot for an entire match like that.

Tutu
09-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Could you post a link to the livestream please? :)

jitterbug
09-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Could you post a link to the livestream please? :)

There's a webcam stream on the tournament site itself, but the video quality's pretty dodgy: http://www.bcropenromania.ro/EN/Pagini/Live/10.html

Bet365's also streaming it for free.

Truc
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
:worship: 6-3 6-4, solid on his serve and he was often trying to finish the points at the net. He still can play better than that from the baseline imo, but he did a nice job.

His friend Serra now, Gilles leads 4-1 in the h2h and won their last match on clay in Casa, but it was close.

2004 Besancon Challenger Hard (I) G.SIMON 1-6 6-4 6-4
2005 Cincinnati Hard (O) G.SIMON 6-3 6-7(4) 6-3
2006 Miami Hard (O) F.SERRA 2-6 4-6
2007 Adelaide Hard (O) G.SIMON 6-2 5-7 1-1 RET (<- That one doesn't really count, it was a RR match!)
2008 Casablanca Clay (O) G.SIMON 6-2 5-7 6-3

TMJordan
09-10-2008, 03:51 PM
Keep it going Gilles :cool:

jitterbug
09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Serve and volley on clay, you sexy beast.

Truc
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
:rolls: :cool:

I don't think everybody reads in the Chat thread, so here's the match report from "Inside tennis" posted by "Allez ollie" in the other thread:
Simon beats Montanes in gruelling slugfest (http://www.inside-tennis.net/tennis-news_3231_Simon-beats-Montanes-in-gruelling-slugfest.html)

My favourite part is, of course:
Simon held onto his break advantage, eventually closing out the entertaining contest on serve on his fourth match point with a sublimely executed serve and volley winner. :sexy:

Scotso
09-10-2008, 08:58 PM
:rocker2:

Serve and volley IS sexy.

Truc
09-11-2008, 05:27 PM
No livestream tomorrow, he plays the first match on Semi Centrala.
What a bunch of idiots! :(

Pepi.
09-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Allez Gilles :D

good luck :D

Truc
09-12-2008, 11:41 AM
6-2 6-3.
:sport:

He was broken 3 times, though, it was not completely as easy as it looks.

Chucho or Navarro now, Navarro would be nice as I have never seen him play. But he just beat Chucho twice in a row in Toronto and at the USO, so maybe he'll prefer to play Chucho.

gambit84
09-12-2008, 11:43 AM
:rocker:

*Raine
09-12-2008, 12:02 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

This man never fails to brighten up my day :D.

:rocker2:Bring them on.

jitterbug
09-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Gilles for
http://www.schools.pinellas.k12.fl.us/gallery/variety/goat.gif

Scotso
09-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't get it, Z :lol:

Gilles :rocker2: Nice to see him winning matches without dropping a set. It's so rare, I cherish it.

jitterbug
09-12-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't get it, Z :lol:

It's a GOAT, darling :lol:

Scotso
09-12-2008, 12:48 PM
ooooooooooh okay. that makes sense now.

Truc
09-12-2008, 03:05 PM
He'll play Chucho. The h2h is looking great, but it might be closer on clay (and Chucho seems to like Bucharest, he was twice in the final there):
2005 Casablanca Clay (O) G.SIMON 6-3 3-6 6-3
2008 Canada Hard (O) G.SIMON 6-3 6-4
2008 U.S. Open Hard (O) G.SIMON 6-4 6-1 6-4

Tutu
09-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Go Gilles :yeah:

Scotso
09-13-2008, 05:06 AM
I don't like Chucho at all :lol: so hopefully Gilles crushes him.

Tutu
09-13-2008, 08:15 AM
What time is he playing?

Truc
09-13-2008, 08:27 AM
2nd match of the day after Gasquet-Moya, matches start at 1 pm (= 11 am UK time?)

Why do you dislike Chucho, Scott? :confused:

Grenouille
09-13-2008, 09:16 AM
I'm surprised by his good results here :D
I didn't expect it !!
Keep it up Gillou !

*Raine
09-13-2008, 10:40 AM
Keep it up Gilles :D

Tutu
09-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Well that was nerve wracking.

4-6 7-6 6-4.

Allez. One more.

*Raine
09-13-2008, 02:58 PM
:banana: :banana: One more game :banana: :banana:

jitterbug
09-13-2008, 03:04 PM
he only wins when I'm away from the computer :o

Well done :banana:

Allez-Ollie
09-13-2008, 03:41 PM
Here are some press quotes

"It was my first long match so I think I'm going to be OK for tomorrow", Simon said. "I think it could have been easier today; I played three very bad games at the beginning of the match to give him 3-0. Then I was so nervous; I wanted to play like the other day and I didn't manage to. I was looking for it every game and I was very nervous because I had so many chances. I'm pretty happy to play the final tomorrow."

Simon came into the match with a 3-0 lead in their previous encounters, but today Simon found the Argentine to be more of a handful than before.

"He played a nice game today, nice tennis. Not so many unforced errors, usually I'm waiting a little bit more. Every important point he played a winner, didn't miss any ball so I really had to take my chances if I wanted to win this match. He didn't give me many free points, that was not the case the last two times which was on hardcourt. The match was very long which was good for me."

Going into the final, Simon is not especially sad not to be playing friend and compatriot Richard Gasquet.

"It does not change anything for me. I am sad for him but even so he is a very good player and so is Carlos. I hope we play a very great final tomorrow. My objective was to get to the final and try to defend my title, so I don't care about the opponent."
Source: http://www.inside-tennis.net/tennis-news_3236_Simon-outlasts-Acasuso-in-epic-encounter.html
Allez!

Truc
09-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks! I saw the little article about Andre Jones on the tournament website yesterday, he looks so funny. :lol: It was nice to see him, I've always liked his match reports.

That's exactly how it looked to me too, Gilles was looking incredibly nervous at the beginning when he realized it was going to be a tough job today! Maybe he will be more relaxed tomorrow that way. Having too easy matches can be tricky too.
And Chucho really was making very few UE and playing some nice tennis today, he's spot on in his comments imo.

I said before the start of the tournament I was actually hoping he would get the chance to improve at least one of his horrible h2h against Paulo and Ritchie. On clay, with him being in great form and both of them not so much, it seemed perfect. :p But well, he also tends to turn into a headcase against them, so maybe it's for the best. It's not so important anyway.

I'm still so delighted by his fight today! :cool:

Truc
09-13-2008, 04:09 PM
They've played only once, Moya won, but it was in 2005 and on hardcourt (7-6 7-5 in Cincy).

And Gilles has won his last 4 ATP finals, in case anybody has forgotten. ;)

Grenouille
09-13-2008, 09:36 PM
I hope he'll be ok tomorrow after his long match against Acasuso...
It would be a "prestige win" to defeat Moya !

Scotso
09-14-2008, 12:05 AM
That was close :o

Another final for Gilles! :rocker2: He's having a pretty great year.

Scotso
09-14-2008, 12:06 AM
They have a really bad picture of Gilles on the atptennis main site :lol:

jitterbug
09-14-2008, 02:03 AM
And Gilles has won his last 4 ATP finals, in case anybody has forgotten. ;)

I like that stat :lol:

Truc
09-14-2008, 06:49 AM
When I think about it, I’m not so worried about him being too tired today. I was in Indianapolis and he was looking OK for the final. Of course he’ll have to step up his game a lot. But he did in Casa and Indy, so we know he can do it. "Jamais 2 sans 3".

Here’s the article in L’Equipe today:
Simon garde le tempo
Vainqueur d’Acasuso en près de trois heures, le Français reste sur la lancée de son dernier trimestre.
GILLES SIMON n’avait fait le déplacement à Bucarest que pour une seule et bonne raison, « l’envie de défendre (son) titre ». Le pari est en passe d’être réussi : vainqueur hier de l’Argentin Acasuso (4-6, 7-6, 6-4) en 2 h 54, le Français s’est qualifié pour la finale où il affrontera aujourd’hui ce vieux briscard de Carlos Moya. Tombeur de Richard Gasquet en 1 h 18, l’Espagnol disputera la 45e finale de sa carrière. Du coup, Simon se méfiera de l’ancien numéro 1 mondial : « Vu son âge et sa carrière, Moya est le genre de joueur qui n’est jamais aussi motivé et dangereux que lorsqu’il arrive en demies ou en finale. »
Il se méfiera aussi de lui-même. Hier, une entame de match catastrophique (0-3, double break) l’empêcha en effet jusqu’au dernier point de jouer libéré. « Franchement, j’avais fait trois super premiers matches et mes sensations sont très bonnes, dit-il. Mais, sur cette demie, je me suis compliqué la tâche tout seul. J’ai raté énormément d’occases… Du coup, j’ai été très nerveux. » Simon perdit ainsi son break d’avance au deuxième set (finalement arraché au tie-break) et laissa filer une occasion de double break au troisième. « Chaque fois que je me détachais, je me faisais remonter, explique-t-il. J’ai passé le match à lutter avec moi-même. Mais, bon, je me dis que je ne vais pas perdre mes bonnes sensations du jour au lendemain… »
Depuis sa demi-finale à Nottingham, mi-juin, Simon tient un rythme de croisière élevé. Après un titre à Indianapolis et une demie au Masters Series de Toronto, le voilà en finale à trois cents kilomètres de lamer Noire. Il a gagné 22 de ses 28 derniers matches. Une régularité logiquement récompensée à la Race : actuellement 15e, il passerait 11e en cas de succès face à Moya, à 38 points du 8e, James Blake. « Pour le Masters, tout se jouera vraisemblablement à Madrid et à Bercy, estime-t-il à juste raison. Mais c’est sûr que ça me trotte dans un coin de la tête. »
He says again that he came to Bucharest with the only idea of defending his title. But he knows he’ll have to be beware of Carlos in the final: “Considering his age and his career, Moya never is as motivated and dangerous as in a semi-final or in a final.” It will be his 45th final today!
He will also have to be beware of himself after yesterday’s match. “I had played three really great matches and I have a very good feeling. But I made life difficult for myself in the semi-final. I wasted so many chances… It made me nervous.” “Everytime I was one break up, he was coming back. I spent the whole match fighting with myself. But well, I say to myself that my game can’t disappear from one day to the other…”
The journalist writes he has won 22 of his last 28 matches since Nottingham and it shows in the Race: he is now #15 and would be #11 if he wins in the final. Gilles means Madrid and Bercy will be deciding for the Race. And he admits thinking about it sometimes.

jitterbug
09-14-2008, 11:44 AM
:woohoo:

BUCHAREST F: (2) Gilles Simon (FRA) def. (6) Carlos Moya (ESP) 6-3 6-4

Poussin for President! :D

gambit84
09-14-2008, 11:46 AM
c'mon guys, it was a piece of cake :smoke:

sharp angles, shots dtl,sometimes disasters near the net (:hearts:) incredible sense of court, no fear....

this is Gilles Simon :rocker2:

Truc
09-14-2008, 11:48 AM
It was vintage Poussin today!
He plays his best matches in final, that's crazy.
He sucked at the net compared to his other matches, but he was awesome on BP against him again and totally in control from the baseline.

But I wanted to see the trophy ceremony, stupid Betfair livestream. :ras:

*Raine
09-14-2008, 12:02 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana:

great job Gilles :worship:

Grenouille
09-14-2008, 12:06 PM
I was the trophy ceremony on Sport +
Nothing special !

It would be awesome if he could qualify for the YEC !!
But with these average results in slams, it's gonna be tough!

jitterbug
09-14-2008, 12:09 PM
Well Muzza didn't play in RG and Wimbledon last year and missed making TMC by a whisker.. So who knows, there's hope yet :lol:

Truc
09-14-2008, 12:11 PM
Oh, it was on TV in France?
Great news, I thought only a few diehard fans would have seen it again on the livestream. He presented himself from his best side today imo.

Truc
09-14-2008, 12:21 PM
The ATP is loving that pic of Gilles so much that they kept it for today's article about his 2nd Bucharest title. :sobbing:

jitterbug
09-14-2008, 12:29 PM
They talked about him potentially going to Shanghai in the headline :armed: it spooks me out - it better not jinx him.

lisaplenske
09-14-2008, 01:50 PM
never came in the gilles simon sub forum but I wanted to congrat him for his victory in bucharest today but not only, for his great year, 3rd title of the year thats really impressive so congrats:yeah::yeah:

he improved a lot and passed another level.Wish him the best for the rest of the season.
Bye:wavey:

guille&tati4life
09-14-2008, 02:40 PM
:worship: Brilliant Gilles.

Truc
09-14-2008, 02:58 PM
The inside-tennis.net report which was posted in GM:
http://www.inside-tennis.net/tennis-news_3238_Simon-defends-BCR-Open-title.html

And from the ATP website (they've changed the pic on the main page, but it's still pretty bad!):
http://www.atptennis.com/1/en/2008news/bucharest_sunday.asp
"This was definitely my best match of the week," said Simon. "I was playing very well. These days I feel like my opponents have to play really well to beat me. I knew that it was important to return well against him. I felt good on court and I'm happy about the result. It's nice to defend the title here in Bucharest. Now I will take a few days off before I start practicing for the indoor season and my next tournament in Metz."
Considering his chances of qualifying for Tennis Masters Cup Shanghai, Simon said: "You automatically start thinking about it especially since there are still two Masters Series events left. But I don't put any extra pressure on myself since it wasn't one of my goals at the beginning of the season. But of course it would be very nice if I made it."

They say here he will be #12 in the Race, not #11. It doesn't matter anyway.

Guy Haines
09-14-2008, 04:56 PM
It's wild to think about Gilles as a Shanghai contender. :unsure: I'd like it just to see him :angel:, but don't know if it's the right time.

Win or lose, I'd always rather watch him than Blake :o, that's for sure.

I wonder if his spring clay court results will pick up in '09? I guess Stepanek (another one of my least favorite players) was a bad draw for him at Roland Garros this year.

I know Carlos is up there in years, but he had a good week, and to straight-set him suggests Gilles could do just as well at the French as he did at the USO (rough draw there this year) and Australian -- or better.

jitterbug
09-14-2008, 05:18 PM
I hope he'll do well at the Australian Open - I will channel my inner Fran and be a faithful Poussin supporter :armed: :angel:

Pepi.
09-14-2008, 07:41 PM
congrats gilles :D

:bounce:

TMJordan
09-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Good luck defending your title, Gilles :)

:banana:

Truc
09-15-2008, 07:18 AM
In L'Equipe today:Hat-trick pour Simon
Le Français a conservé son titre hier face à Moya (6-3, 6-4) pour sa troisième couronne de l’année.

DANS SA BOUCHE, ça paraît simple : « J’étais serein, solide. Je maîtrisais. Un break dans chaque set. » Quand même, Moya, ancien numéro 1 mondial, ancien vainqueur de Roland-Garros, avec sa grosse patate en coup droit… « Justement, je l’ai défié dans la filière coup droit. Et quand il en sortait long de ligne, je contre-attaquais en revers. » Comme un symbole, c’est sur un revers gagnant que Simon a remporté son quarantième match de l’année (20 défaites) et son troisième titre après ceux de Casablanca (terre) et Indianapolis (dur). En deux ans, le Niçois de naissance, grandi en Île-de- France et désormais exilé en Suisse, a porté son total de titres à cinq. Cinq, c’est aussi son rang dans le classement des Français les plus titrés de l’ère open. « Cinq, ajoute son entraîneur Thierry Tulasne, c’est aussi le nombre de finales consécutives qu’il vient de remporter. » Il avait perdu la première face à Almagro à Valence en 2006 mais, depuis ce loupé initial, il est infernal en finale. « Et ça, c’est important », reprend« Tutu ».Même si, tête de série no 2, il n’a fait que rester à sa place dès lors que le numéro 1 – Richard Gasquet – avait coincé en demi-finales (battu par Moya). « Je n’ai fait que tenir mon rang », dit-il spontanément. Mais il y a eu la manière : « J’ai fait beaucoup de coups gagnants. Je ne suis pas resté derrière ma ligne. Je suis allé vers l’avant. » Moya n’a pu que constater les dégâts : « Les conditions avaient changé, rendant les balles plus lourdes. J’avais du mal à le bouger, mais c’est un type dur à battre. » Revenait en mémoire cette remarque faite à Toronto par Federer, sorti par le Français à la surprise générale : « On a l’impression qu’il ne se déplace pas vite, mais ce n’est qu’une impression. »
Tulasne : « Deux chances sur dix pour le Masters »
Adoubé par le maître, alors numéro 1 mondial, Simon avait fait définitivement sa rentrée dans le gotha des potentiels tops 10. Un statut que son élimination par Del Potro au troisième tour à Flushing Meadows n’avait pas remis en question. Avec ce revers relatif, le Masters s’éloignait. « Je ne vais pas me polariser là-dessus, reprend l’intéressé quand on l’amène sur le chemin de Shanghai. Ce n’était pas un objectif du début de saison. Je n’ai aucune raison de me mettre la pression. » C’est la décompression qui est à l’ordre du jour avec cette coupure de deux semaines (reprise à Metz le 29 septembre). « Ne rien faire pendant une bonne semaine et reprendre ensuite en douceur, confirme-t-il. J’en ai besoin. Même si je suis rarement blessé, j’ai quand même, comme tout le monde, pas mal de douleurs à gérer. » Il attribue cette immunité aux grandes blessures à « un ensemble de choses dont la façon de jouer, l’entretien physique et bien sûr la chance. » Il est loin le temps du Gillou qui fuyait le kiné après les matches. « Trois titres en une année, c’est exceptionnel pour un Français, note Thierry Tulasne qui est l’un des quatre autres Tricolores à avoir réussi cet exploit. C’est le fruit de beaucoup d’investissement. Et notamment de la FFT qui m’a détaché auprès de Gilles. Merci au DTN Patrice Dominguez d’y avoir cru et de nous avoir donné tous les moyens pour son épanouissement. Dans presque tous les tournois, Gilles peut bénéficier d’un kiné ou d’un préparateur physique. » Cette machine bien entretenue peut encore surprendre. « Il a deux chances sur dix d’accrocher le Masters, estime “Tutu”, mais il faudra qu’il fasse un exploit dans l’un des deux derniers Masters Series. » Pour l’heure, il pointe à la 12e place du classement de l’année à 48 points de la huitième. Et on jurerait que la saga Simon n’est pas close pour cette année.
PASCAL COVILLE When you listen to him, it sounds easy: "I was calm, solid. I was in control. One break in each set." Still, it was Moya, former world number 1, with his huge FH... "I defied him on the FH side, precisely. And when he was playing down the line to escape, I was counter-attacking with my BH." He symbolically closed out with another BH winner his 40th win of the year (20 defeats) to win the 5th title of his career.
5 also is his rank in the ranking of the French players with the most titles in the open era (together with Pioline, Tulasne and Gasquet, behind Noah - 23, Forget - 11, Leconte - 9 and Santoro - 6).
Tulasne: "5 also is the number of finals he has won in a row". He had a rough start in Valencia in 2006 against Almagro, but has been on fire in finals since then. Tutu: "And that's important."
Gilles: "I've only played up to my rank here." But he did it in style. "I was hitting a lot of winners. I wasn't waiting behind my baseline. I was coming forward."
Moya could only acknowledge the damage: "It was hard for me to move him, he's a tough player to beat." It reminds of Fed's comment in Toronto: "It looks like he isn't moving fast. But it's just an impression."
His defeat to Del Potro at the USO has not compromised his chance to make it to the top 10 at one point, but it has compromised his chances to qualify for the Masters Cup. "I'm not going to focus on that anyway, Gilles says when people start asking questions about Shanghai. It wasn't a goal for me this season. I have no reason to put myself under pressure."
His agenda now: "I won't do anything during one week at least and then I will start practicing again gently. I need it. Even if I'm rarely injured, I have a lot of pains to deal with, like everybody else."
Why is he rarely injured? "For different reasons. The way I play, the physical training and it's also a question of luck, of course." The time when Gillou was avoiding the physio after his matches is definitely over. Tulasne: "Winning 3 titles in one year is exceptional for a French player. It's the result of much investment. In particular from the FFT who assigned me to work with him full-time. Thanks to Patrice Dominguez who believed in us and gave us all we needed. Gilles has a physio or a condition trainer with him on almost every tournament."
This "well-maintained machine" might surprise us again this year. Tutu: "He has 2 chances out of 10 to qualify for the Masters. But it would need a feat in one of the last two Masters Series."

Truc
09-15-2008, 08:25 AM
An article in Libération too about "the anti-hero of French tennis":
Gilles Simon poursuit son ascension silencieuse

Questions à mille euros : quel joueur français apparaît ce matin le mieux placé pour participer au Masters de Shanghai, cette fête de fin d’année du tennis qui réunira les huit meilleurs joueurs de l’année ? Indice : ce n’est ni Jo-Wilfried «Tsunami» Tsonga, ni Gaël «Sliderman» Monfils, ni Richard «le Mozart du tennis français» Gasquet. Alors ? En battant sèchement Carlos Moya en finale du tournoi de Bucarest, hier, Gilles Simon a conservé son titre conquis en 2007, remporté un troisième tournoi en 2008 (après Casablanca et Indianapolis) et confirmé sa superbe saison. Le jeune Niçois, 23 ans, n’a eu besoin que de deux sets (6/3, 6/4) pour battre l’ex-numéro 1 mondial espagnol qui avait puni Gasquet en demi-finale samedi.

Antihéros. «C’est sans contestation mon meilleur match de la semaine. J’ai très bien joué. Et j’ai eu l’impression cette semaine que mes adversaires devaient très bien jouer pour avoir une chance.» Au plan du classement, Simon, qui pointait à la 17e place mondiale avant Bucarest, fait une bonne opération qui lui a valu hier plusieurs questions sur ses chances de terminer dans le top 8 et de décrocher un billet inattendu pour Shanghai. «Je crois que je serai 11e au classement de la Race demain, disait-il hier. Alors, forcément, j’y pense automatiquement, même s’il reste encore deux Masters Series d’ici là. Mais je ne me mets aucune pression à ce niveau-là, puisque ce n’était pas un de mes objectifs au début de la saison.» Voir Simon à Shanghai serait magnifique et délicieusement ironique. Le tennis français se trouve chaque mois une nouvelle star (un coup Tsonga, un coup Gasquet, un coup Monfils) mais ne semble pas voir ce joueur étonnant. La belle trajectoire que trace Gilles Simon, antihéros du tennis français, s’est toujours faite en catimini.

Il y a deux ans, Simon venait d’entrer dans le top 50, et son entraîneur d’alors, Rodolphe Gilbert, confiait à Libération : «C’est un joueur en qui personne n’a jamais vraiment cru en raison de son physique, de son jeu atypique. A chaque étape de sa carrière, depuis des années, on a entendu des gens dire : "C’est bien qu’il ait fait cela, mais bon, il n’ira pas plus haut." Sauf qu’avec le temps il passe des caps.» Des caps, Simon en a encore passé depuis, mais il a fini par se faire à cette ombre qui l’escorte partout. Dans un entretien accordé à l’Equipe début janvier, alors qu’il pointait au 30e rang mondial, il racontait : «Ce qui surprend le plus les gens, c’est quand je leur dis que je suis 30e mondial. Là, il y a un truc qui ne va pas. Ils disent : "Ah ouais, 30e mondial, et comment ça se fait que je ne vous connais pas ? Mais vous jouez Roland-Garros, et tout ? Alors vous connaissez Gaël Monfils, donc ? Vous pensez que vous avez une chance de le battre ?" Je leur dis : "Euh, mais en fait, là, je suis mieux classé que lui…" Dans ces moments-là, tu te dis que, si tu joues pour la renommée, c’est plutôt mal barré.»

Echalas. Comment expliquer cet anonymat relatif ? Simon, désormais coaché par Thierry Tulasne, n’est pas showman comme peuvent l’être Monfils ou Tsonga. Il n’a pas été estampillé génie en herbe comme Gasquet, il n’appartient pas non plus à l’écurie Lagardère qui a le chic pour faire mousser ses protégés. Il promène aussi un jeu désarçonnant, tant pour l’adversaire que pour le public : cet échalas (1,80 m et guère plus de 65 kilos) est un champion du faux rythme, capable d’endormir l’adversaire avant de l’estourbir d’une accélération long de ligne. Simon se caractérise aussi par un jeu de défense de crevard, tout en pouvant enfin compter sur une première balle de service qui claque fort et juste (hier, face à Moya, Simon a gagné 93 % des points sur sa première balle). Mais Simon, qui a gagné cinq des six finales qu’il a jouées sur le circuit, a surtout montré depuis un an une grande solidité mentale. En juillet à Toronto, il avait atteint la première demi-finale de sa carrière en Masters Series après avoir battu Roger Federer au deuxième tour.http://www.liberation.fr/actualite/sports/351931.FR.php

Truc
09-15-2008, 09:12 AM
I wish the journalists would stop writing about Shanghai because as delighted as I am about his success, we here know his chances to make it to Shanghai are very slim and when he is most probably not going to make it, people who don't follow tennis so closely are going to say he's a loser. But well, it's nice to see him get some recognition.

Here is a translation of a few parts to give you an idea, it's just old stuff for most of us, but I like the Libération style - and we also have some new people in the Simon forum:
"The jackpot question: who is the French tennis player with the best chances to qualify for the Masters Cup in Shanghai atm? A few clues: it isn't Jo-Wilfried «Tsunami» Tsonga. Nor Gaël «Sliderman» Monfils. Nor Richard «the Mozart of French tennis» Gasquet. So?"
"Seeing Simon in Shanghai would be wonderful and delightfully ironic. Every month the French tennis is having a new star (once Tsonga, once Gasquet, once Monfils), but seems to overlook this surprising player. The nice run of Gilles Simon, the anti-hero of French tennis, has always happened on the sly.
Two years ago, Simon had just entered the top 50 and his coach Rodolphe Gilbert was saying to Libération: "He's a player nobody has really believed in because of his build and of his atypical game. Everytime he has reached a new stage in his career, people have been telling us for years now: 'It's great for him to make it that far. But well, he won't make it further.' He's still reaching new stages though."
And he's reached even more since then. Still in the background. He's used to. In an interview for l'Equipe in January, he said: "People are really surprised when I tell them I'm ranked #30 in the world. There's something which doesn't quite fit there. They say: 'Oh really, 30th in the world, and how come I don't know you? Do you also play tournaments like Roland-Garros? You know Gaël Monfils? Do you think you might be able to beat him one day?' I answer: 'Well, actually, I'm better ranked than him at the moment...' You say to yourself then that if you were hoping to become famouse playing tennis, it's not looking good for you."
Why this relative anonymity? Simon, now coached by T. Tulasne, isn't a showman like Monfils and Tsonga. He hasn't been stamped "budding genius" like Gasquet. He doesn't belong to the Lagardère Team which is so great at singing the praise of its protégés. He also has a baffling game, for the opponent and for the crowd: this beanpole (1,80 m and 65 kg) is a master in giving matches a wrong pace, lulling the opponent into sleep before stunning him with a DTL winner." Etc.

jitterbug
09-15-2008, 09:43 AM
'The anti-hero' :lol: good call!

soulage
09-15-2008, 11:02 AM
To be known in France it's better playing Davis Cup. Next year he could be titular but with Gasquet/Tsonga/Monfils it's difficult to make a team especially with the perpective of the doubles.

He also need to go far in a Grand Slam or in a "big" tournament, his semi-final in Toronto with a win against Federer really helped his notoriety for exemple.

but-it's-ok
09-15-2008, 02:57 PM
Congratulations Gilles, on defending your title:rocker2::banana: I've been an admirer now I'm a fan;)

2moretogo
09-15-2008, 02:59 PM
Congrats to Gilles!!! I too am a little worried about the TMC hype, but it's all good.

tedlesurfeur
09-23-2008, 01:36 PM
To be known in France it's better playing Davis Cup. Next year he could be titular but with Gasquet/Tsonga/Monfils it's difficult to make a team especially with the perpective of the doubles.

He also need to go far in a Grand Slam or in a "big" tournament, his semi-final in Toronto with a win against Federer really helped his notoriety for exemple.

I don't care about him being famous. I actually would like it to stay this way :dance: Does anyone share the same feeling ?

Scotso
09-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Yes. I'm an early adopter of most players, and I hate it when they get tons of other fans.

Good example, I was Mathieu's first fan here, but when he got really famous I stopped caring. :p

Truc
09-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Which Mathieu? PHM?

That's the usual story on MTF, the Gulbistards certainly feel the same with Ernie and Jess with "Pants", etc. - and I do with Gilles in a way, even if I was only a late adopter compared to many of you guys.
I find this feeling quite strong with Gilles since it's part of his charm to be underrated, discreet, not flashy if you don't make the effort to follow him a little bit to get what is interesting about him and his game, etc.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the other hand, since I also write quite a lot in French blogs/groups about him, it can be depressing when hardly anybody comments or reacts or seems to care at all.
I think his MTF forum is OK in that regard. He has a fanbase, so it's not too "dreary", but it's not too huge either.

Truc
09-23-2008, 05:13 PM
I always have the impression he's ambivalent about it too.
In every other interview he says he doesn't care about the media and doesn't want to be famouse, etc. And I believe him when he says that.
But he stresses often enough that lower ranked players get more recognition than him. He's a very proud guy and it obviously bugs him. I remember De Chaunac posting a pic of him with Gilles last year in his "Tennis Magazine" blog about the Challenger tour with the caption "A pic of Gilles Simon because he complains Tennis Magazine never talks about him".
Journalists also often say he's extremely open towards the media and so talkative - to the point that he accepts requests like this "behind the scenes" article in Roland-Garros which was a bit too much for my liking. So he also does everything to be more present in the media.

tedlesurfeur
09-23-2008, 06:35 PM
I always have the impression he's ambivalent about it too.
In every other interview he says he doesn't care about the media and doesn't want to be famouse, etc. And I believe him when he says that.
But he stresses often enough that lower ranked players get more recognition than him. He's a very proud guy and it obviously bugs him. I remember De Chaunac posting a pic of him with Gilles last year in his "Tennis Magazine" blog about the Challenger tour with the caption "A pic of Gilles Simon because he complains Tennis Magazine never talks about him".
Journalists also often say he's extremely open towards the media and so talkative - to the point that he accepts requests like this "behind the scenes" article in Roland-Garros which was a bit too much for my liking. So he also does everything to be more present in the media.

I'll ask him, hein Fran ? Prépare d'autres questions. ha ha

Fran, I gave you a WC to play Beijing this week. I care about your career, you haven't played in a while :p