Nickname thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nickname thread

Guille's Girl
06-30-2004, 06:16 PM
Cuz I have nothing else to do. :rolleyes:

I'm the only one in my house who can say "Guillermo" SO everyone is always making up stuff.

My mom: "I'll just call him Willy" :rolleyes:

My Bro: "I'll just call him Givemo" :rolleyes:

My sis: "Gu-...er..I'll just call him Coria" :haha: At least she tried!

But anyway sometimes I call him Billy or Jay :shrug: Yeah weird I know.

|-Safin_Coria-|
06-30-2004, 06:17 PM
Jay?? :confused:
i just call him Coria :)

Guille's Girl
06-30-2004, 06:25 PM
Jay?? :confused:
i just call him Coria :)

"Guille" is pronounced "Ghee-jay"....hence "Jay".

tousledbaby
06-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Some reporters speak the "G" always like a "K" . So its like Kee-almo :) ...hehe

Alisa
06-30-2004, 06:55 PM
jay? it's pretty nice)) our reporters pronounce it just how it is written!)) so maybe i'm not sure how is it really pronounced... i like his surname!! coria. it's so sweet!)

|-Safin_Coria-|
06-30-2004, 06:59 PM
:confused: i must be pronouncing it wrong...the sportscasters say it funny too...at least it sounds funny to me

tousledbaby
06-30-2004, 07:01 PM
I always try to pronounce his surname in a Spanish way... :worship: Coorria Cooria Cooria...

Guille's Girl
06-30-2004, 07:49 PM
:confused: i must be pronouncing it wrong...the sportscasters say it funny too...at least it sounds funny to me

The only commentator that says his name right is Chris Fowler on ESPN. I think he likes Guille :lol: He's the only commentator that talks about Guille alot.

LubiG
06-30-2004, 09:30 PM
I always call him Guille and my friends look at me weirdly cause i'm like 'No, Guille didn't say that, he...' etc and it lwould seem i'm talking about someone i know

Nymeria
06-30-2004, 09:43 PM
I usually call him Guillermo, most of my friends don't even know who I'm talking about when I say Coria :p

Guille's Girl
06-30-2004, 09:56 PM
I usually call him Guillermo, most of my friends don't even know who I'm talking about when I say Coria :p

:eek: Wow. My sister couldn't pronouce Coria for a while. She pronounced it "Courier"...as in Jim....I was so appalled :fiery: :lol:

Nymeria
06-30-2004, 09:59 PM
:eek: Wow. My sister couldn't pronouce Coria for a while. She pronounced it "Courier"...as in Jim....I was so appalled :fiery: :lol:
Well my friends are not intrested in tennis and get mad at me when I start about it again, it was terrible when I was just back from Rosmalen 2 weeks ago and I was in a Guillermo-mood :p My friends really were :rolleyes: at me all the time 'Not that Guillermo-guy again, we know you saw him, we know you like me. But SHUT UP' :p

Washa Koroleva
06-30-2004, 10:43 PM
I pronounce his name like Gijermo. Or I just call him Guille. Mostly Guille, because then they know who I mean. When I said Coria to my dad he went like 'They don't play soccer this year, it's not in Europe!'...
I was shocked. I talked about Coria and Tennis and not about Korea and soccer!
At least he knows who I meant now :rolleyes:

Guille's Girl
06-30-2004, 11:38 PM
I pronounce his name like Gijermo. Or I just call him Guille. Mostly Guille, because then they know who I mean. When I said Coria to my dad he went like 'They don't play soccer this year, it's not in Europe!'...
I was shocked. I talked about Coria and Tennis and not about Korea and soccer!
At least he knows who I meant now :rolleyes:

:haha: !!!

Hey you're pronouncing his name right! :clap2: :yeah:

kandykane
07-01-2004, 01:40 AM
:haha:

most of my friends preferred "coria" translated into Chinese, sounds something like "Ker Li Ya".

kandykane
07-01-2004, 02:14 AM
how do you post "sound files" on this thread?

i got 2 prononciations of the Guillermo Coria, and i need you guys to tell me which one is right, ok? ;)

vamos_guille
07-01-2004, 07:52 AM
I say his name with the good prononciation, the spanish, but it's easier coz I'm french and spanish and french are both latin language. For the english-speaking people, I say : Guee yer m Coria ( ll=y in spanish)

Jazzy
07-01-2004, 08:09 AM
that's how i pronounce - after i heard it off the tele by some guy who speaks most of the european languages

gina_
07-01-2004, 08:58 AM
Eeek. I'm not sure if I pronounce it correctly.

Ghee-Jay-Mo...

Enlighten me!

My friends just stick to Coria because it's easily to pronounce and I say Guille to myself all the time cuz it sounds intimate. I happen to adore his middle name too! Seb <3

Micca
07-01-2004, 09:26 AM
"Guille" is pronounced "Ghee-jay"....hence "Jay".

I just prenounce it a Gillie :p But I'm dutch so that's different :p HOW do you say it?? :confused: ;)

Micca
07-01-2004, 09:30 AM

When I first called his Guillermo MY friends didn't even know who I was talking about, not even beginning about Guille :P WHO!?! They say immediatly :p But at first I called him Coria, and now in the threads I call him Guille, because Coria seems so 'far away' if you know what I mean ;) But we can make up NEW nicknames for Guille :D
You guys with me??

Washa Koroleva
07-01-2004, 12:32 PM
I once talked about him to some friends and called him Coria. They said 'We're fed up with geography, Olga, please'.
Then I stopped talking and only had to laugh.
People whould listen before they start to understand something :devil:

|-Safin_Coria-|
07-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Well my friends are not intrested in tennis and get mad at me when I start about it again, it was terrible when I was just back from Rosmalen 2 weeks ago and I was in a Guillermo-mood :p My friends really were :rolleyes: at me all the time 'Not that Guillermo-guy again, we know you saw him, we know you like me. But SHUT UP' :p
my friends too! makes me mad cause I always listen to them, even when i'm not interested in the topic and they don't bother having the patience to listen to me when I talk about Coria and all them other guys

I say his name with the good prononciation, the spanish, but it's easier coz I'm french and spanish and french are both latin language. For the english-speaking people, I say : Guee yer m Coria ( ll=y in spanish)
oh! yay!! i'm saying it right then :D

Micca
07-01-2004, 12:53 PM
My friends are fed up with me talking about Guille too, Safin-Coria :p;) Sooo stupid! I watch like all his games and they just like...Ow he lost; SO WHAT!?!! Meanwhile my heart is broken ;) And no one understands me :( BUT YOU DO!!! :D'So we've got the same problem :p;)

Alisa
07-01-2004, 02:13 PM
i DO have this problem too!!! so it's already the three of us!!)) ppl usually roll their eyes when i just beggin saying the word "tennis"... so this forum is a great releaf... huh... )
in russia ppl pronounce Guillermo - like "Gil' yermo"... and there it sounds rather easy to pronounce... maybe because it's not right ;) and guys, not to have any more misunderstandings, how do u all pronounce guille?)

kandykane, u wanted to post sound files. u can do it just like with the pic! i'm eager to listen it!)

|-Safin_Coria-|
07-01-2004, 02:23 PM
i DO have this problem too!!! so it's already the three of us!!)) ppl usually roll their eyes when i just beggin saying the word "tennis"... so this forum is a great releaf... huh... )

yes! this forum is a HUGE relief, i can finally say what i wanna say without being told to shut up :) and its always great to find other people with similiar interests ;)

Guille's Girl
07-01-2004, 02:24 PM

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! :hug: I used to say it like that. Someone from Argentina told me that was wrong. *sighs* I know about "ll=y" BUT that doesn't seem to aply to his name. I tried to tell my brother that but then he got frustrated and now he just call's him Givemo.

My friends are fed up with me talking about Guille too, Safin-Coria Sooo stupid! I watch like all his games and they just like...Ow he lost; SO WHAT!?!! Meanwhile my heart is broken And no one understands me BUT YOU DO!!! 'So we've got the same problem

Me too!!!! My mom is always like "what's wrong with you?" and I say "Coria lost today" (I don't say Guille cuz she won't know who I'm talking about). And she's like "Oh please :rolleyes: You can't let that get you down" and I say "Yes I can. I'm a hardcore fan of Coria" and she's like "Pssh, I couldn't get upset like that" and I say "That's cuz you're not a hardcore fan of anybody." :haha: My mom acts like a teenager sometimes. But anyway, no one understands how I feel...except my brother.

But we can make up NEW nicknames for Guille
You guys with me??

Yes!!! :bounce: My bro...GRR! His name is Stone ok? Stone calls him "Master" :haha: Crazy, most of the time I just call him Mago but I have other things like Rubberband Man or Kid. I always call him Kid so that's my fav nickname :)

Micca
07-01-2004, 02:33 PM
yes! this forum is a HUGE relief, i can finally say what i wanna say without being told to shut up :) and its always great to find other people with similiar interests ;)

Couldn't agree more guys! I don't know how I found this site, but it's GREAT!! Meeting all this great people! :D :hug:

Guille's Girl
07-01-2004, 02:37 PM
Ok listen: The most accurate way I can describe how to pronounce his name is "Ghee-j-air-mo". *sighs* I hope that helps! I know it took me a while to get it right.

Hey! Legolas said that when she was at the vs. Clement match at Ordina, Guille was frustrated with himself and shouted his name! Maybe we should ask HER how he pronounced it!

|-Safin_Coria-|
07-01-2004, 02:48 PM
Hey! Legolas said that when she was at the vs. Clement match at Ordina, Guille was frustrated with himself and shouted his name! Maybe we should ask HER how he pronounced it!
good idea!

Micca
07-01-2004, 02:56 PM
I agree!

Washa Koroleva
07-01-2004, 03:09 PM
They said he shouted 'Seb' :confused:

Micca
07-01-2004, 03:55 PM
Must be something Spanisch

Guille's Girl
07-01-2004, 03:59 PM
They said he shouted 'Seb' :confused:

:haha: Yeah he calls himself "Seb" cuz that's short for his middle name Sebastian :) a cute name.

Alisa
07-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Couldn't agree more guys! I don't know how I found this site, but it's GREAT!! Meeting all this great people!

Yes! i'm also very happy to meet all of u guys!! :wavey: :kiss: it's great that we can chat about tennis&players and it would be even appreciated!)) :dance:

lol splendid idea))) :yeah:
btw, GG thanks, i finally understood how to pronounce his name) :rolleyes: :rocker: ;)

Alisa
07-01-2004, 04:11 PM
it's strange that he calls himself by the middle name.... :scratch:

Micca
07-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Yeah., but it's kunda CUTE!! :D:D :inlove:

Washa Koroleva
07-01-2004, 05:04 PM
oh, I didn't knew that he meant his middle name with that, lol
It's my ex-bf's nickname. So it was weird when I heard it!!!!!!:D:D:D

But it's cute! I love the name Sebastian, especially when it's pronounced in the spanish way. Sebastin! LOL

|-Safin_Coria-|
07-01-2004, 05:05 PM
:haha: Yeah he calls himself "Seb" cuz that's short for his middle name Sebastian :) a cute name.
yeah, i love that name :D

Micca
07-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Me too! A guy in my class is called Sebastian, but we prenounce just 'a', not aa, because that would be Sebastiaan :p Weird names ey?! ;):p

Guille's Girl
07-01-2004, 06:57 PM
Me too! A guy in my class is called Sebastian, but we prenounce just 'a', not aa, because that would be Sebastiaan :p Weird names ey?! ;):p

Is your friends name SebastiAn? or SebastiEn? Speaking of SebastiEn...Grosjean...nevermind off topic...

|-Safin_Coria-|
07-01-2004, 07:02 PM
i hope Sebatien kicks Roddicks ass.... :topic: i know i know, just had to say it cause GG mentioned it :p

Guille's Girl
07-01-2004, 07:15 PM
No he has FEDERER next...he can do it. He destroyed Mayer yesterday.

mordicus18
07-01-2004, 10:38 PM
I'm happy I've just discovered that I could pronounce guille's name correcly, I didn't know because I don't speak spanish and sometimes I can't read spanish words correctly.
"seb" is a nice name. I like "sebastian" because my cousin is called "sebastiEn", but I think he has never touch a tennis raquet during all his life :lol:

tennyfan
07-01-2004, 11:45 PM
During the French Open, one of the field interviewers was sitting in front of Guille's dad and said his dad kept yelling "Gee Zhay" in his ear. That's a "hard" G as in Goat and "Zhay" would rhyme with "play" only with a soft Z sound. Did that make sense? US commentators typically call him "Gee Zher mo" ... I guess the " ll " in Argentine spanish takes on the "Zh" sound as opposed to the Mexican/Spanis "ll " that takes on the "y" sound.

|-Safin_Coria-|
07-01-2004, 11:54 PM
No he has FEDERER next...he can do it. He destroyed Mayer yesterday.
oh shoot! i knew that!!...stupid me :smash:
anyway, i hope Ancic and Grosjean both win

El Mago jr.
07-02-2004, 08:27 AM
Ok listen: The most accurate way I can describe how to pronounce his name is "Ghee-j-air-mo". *sighs* I hope that helps! I know it took me a while to get it right.

There's someone from Eurosport's pronounced it as "Ghee-yer-mo".
I thought it was the right pronunciation... :confused: until i read what u wrote :worship:

Micca
07-02-2004, 09:58 AM
I prenounce it that way El Mago Jr!

Alisa
07-02-2004, 11:22 AM
kandykane!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where r your sound files???? i became completely entangled already!!!!

Alisa
07-02-2004, 11:23 AM
and i hope roddick and federer win so we'll see an exciting final! :)

Jazzy
07-02-2004, 11:29 AM
i'd love to see ancic beat roddick - ok, now i'm way off the track!

Micca
07-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Nooo! Roddick must defeat Ancic! I saw the whole game against Sjeng Schalken! I thought he was gonna lose BIG TIME!! But there were 2 (!) tiebreaks!! Unfortunatly Schalken lost them both, but it was soooo close! Very good game! :D :yeah: GO SCHALKEN!!

LubiG
07-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Roddick won the whole thing!

Jazzy
07-03-2004, 07:49 AM
? - don't understand what you mean LubiG ! - DO YOU MEAN THE QF MATCH!?!?!?

Micca
07-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Is your friends name SebastiAn? or SebastiEn? Speaking of SebastiEn...Grosjean...nevermind off topic...
Yeah, the first one, Sebastian! I don't know how you prenounce it, but I know how I do it in Dutch and in Englisch, but I bet you can't prenounce my real name either :p :rolleyes: = Mieke, but I chose Micca, cuz' that easier for you guys to prenounce (although you type here ;))

Guille's Girl
07-03-2004, 02:51 PM
Yeah, the first one, Sebastian! I don't know how you prenounce it, but I know how I do it in Dutch and in Englisch, but I bet you can't prenounce my real name either :p :rolleyes: = Mieke, but I chose Micca, cuz' that easier for you guys to prenounce (although you type here ;))

I have a "difficult" name too. it's Saara but people always pronounce it "Sarah" :o

LubiG
07-03-2004, 02:52 PM
The match against Ancic. I think he won it.

LubiG
07-03-2004, 02:53 PM
Woops, no he didn't. Not yet :o

Micca
07-03-2004, 05:26 PM
Roddick won! :D When it was 5-4 in the third set I really thought Roddick would lose that set, but he gained in on Ancic :D Great match! Now it's Federer vs. Roddick, a fight between the 2 best in the world :p I vote for Roddick! Heey! I'm gonna start a thread about that!

Ow and GG, here in the Netherlands we prenounce your name as it should be: Saara, I can't explane how you should prenounce my name..How would you guys prenounce it?? (Sorry, it's :topic: )

gina_
07-04-2004, 12:31 AM
I felt bad for Serena! She was being so gracious.

But anyway, Federer and Roddick is a pretty exciting match up! I want to see Federer deal with Roddick's serves.

Jazzy
07-04-2004, 06:43 AM
yeh, i want to see federer win!

yeh, serena looked a bit disapointed, but she handled the moment well - i wouldn't be able to smile at the cameras if i was in her shoes!

Micca
07-04-2004, 11:24 AM
GO RODDICK! :woohoo:

El Mago jr.
07-04-2004, 11:49 AM
yeh, i want to see federer win!

me too :yeah:
:bounce: Come on Fed! :bounce: :clap2:
then mayB Juliette will get a friend :dog: :cat:
(sorry, i cant find a cow)

Micca
07-04-2004, 11:56 AM
I don't get you :p hahaha

El Mago jr.
07-04-2004, 12:46 PM
I don't get you :p hahaha

awww man! don't u understand... :confused:
when Federer won last year's wimby he got a cow called Juliette. so, if he could defend his trophy this year, maybe he'll get another cow and Juliette will have a friend...
does that make sense??? :confused:
i hope u'll understand what i'm trying to say... ;)
(if u don't, never mind!) :)

Micca
07-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Ooooh!! NOW I get it!! :p sorry :o I didnt know they (or he) got a cow :p ThnQ 4 telling me :o :hug:

El Mago jr.
07-04-2004, 01:05 PM
it's okey... :hug:
it's an additional info for u.:yeah:

*i'm off to watch the wimby final*
:clap2: GOOD LUCK FEDERER ! :bounce:

Micca
07-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Hahaha, Ok ;) My sister is watching, so I'm looking both sides --> Computer and tv ;)

El Mago jr.
07-04-2004, 01:18 PM
i can't wait 2 c who wins...:hearts:

<:yeah: may the best player wins, Roger it is:yeah:>
sorry, i have to concentrate on watching...
i'll be back after the match. :wavey:
adios amigos. :wavey:

Micca
07-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Yeah me too! Roddick just broke! :D And he served 3 (!) aces in 1 game!! WOOW!!

Guille's Girl
07-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Oh ALLEZ ROGER!!! Crap! Hey! Since this is the nickname thread....HA! I got soooooooooooooo many for Roger. It's just too easy! Feds (too common) The Police, The Fuzz, Smokey, FBI, CIA, Federal Investigator, Fedex (too common) Popo, I'm gonna stop now. I have to read all the other threads...

Alisa
07-04-2004, 02:49 PM
u'r lucky guys, they don't show here the final...(( they showed only yesterday sharapova's final cause she represents our country... but i was really happy for that))

Micca
07-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Oh ALLEZ ROGER!!! Crap! Hey! Since this is the nickname thread....HA! I got soooooooooooooo many for Roger. It's just too easy! Feds (too common) The Police, The Fuzz, Smokey, FBI, CIA, Federal Investigator, Fedex (too common) Popo, I'm gonna stop now. I have to read all the other threads...

Hahahha, Nice GG!! :D

Jazzy
07-05-2004, 08:37 AM
me too :yeah:
:bounce: Come on Fed! :bounce: :clap2:
then mayB Juliette will get a friend :dog: :cat:
(sorry, i cant find a cow)

lol, well juliette does - federer said at some interview that she had a baby cow!

- might have another friend coz he won!!!!!!!!

kandykane
07-06-2004, 07:48 AM
kandykane!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where r your sound files???? i became completely entangled already!!!!

um.... alisa, the problem is i don't know how to post them.... i don't really think you can post sound files.... haven't found out a way yet... just hope you guys can! then i can post some other cool stuff too, like bits of his last 3 matches at RG this year, and bits of his last post match interview....

i think i can only send it through email tho...

Alisa
07-10-2004, 08:47 AM
kandykane, yes i think u can't attach sound files here... but maybe u can leave a link? do u have it somewhere on the web?
it would be great if u could attach rolland garros files!!

LubiG
07-10-2004, 04:38 PM
I wanted Andy to win... The last thing we (or Guille) need is for Rogi to have MORE points

Jazzy
07-11-2004, 07:19 AM
did andy loose a match?!

Alisa
07-11-2004, 10:49 AM
Jazzy????... where have u been??! federer won wimbledon in 4 sets and andy lost.... :sad:

LubiG
07-12-2004, 01:02 AM
Yeah that's what i eamnt... i wanted Andy to win Wimbledon

Jazzy
07-12-2004, 09:18 AM
Jazzy????... where have u been??! federer won wimbledon in 4 sets and andy lost.... :sad:

i knew that! - but i thought he probably lost in another tournament - sowwy i don't follow him! so i didn't know if he is/was in another tournament!

Micca
07-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Yeah that's what i eamnt... i wanted Andy to win Wimbledon

Me too! I think Federer is kinda creepy...:eek: :rolleyes: ;):p Andy isnt mamma's most beautiful, but he's better than Federer ;) GO ANDY ;)!

|-Safin_Coria-|
07-12-2004, 02:51 PM
i kinda like Federer, he seems like such a care-free, easy going guy -- he is pretty modest too [erm...right?]
i like Andy's humor though :lol:

Micca
07-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Yeah,,at the final at Wimbly, he got to the net and pulled a few times ;) hahahaha the crowd started laughing but he didnt think it was funny ;) I thought it was ;) ahahaha LMAO!

Guille's Girl
07-12-2004, 07:43 PM
So happy Roger won :banana: I danced around outside barefoot. :lol: I wonder what I'll do when Guille wins a grandslam?

LubiG
07-13-2004, 03:19 AM
I'll just have to learn how to fly that day :D Wish i could be there to see that day come... Maybe if it was the US Open....