Mario Vs Andy place your bets... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Mario Vs Andy place your bets...

henree
06-30-2004, 05:06 PM
I didn't see their recently meeting at Queens. Can anyone fill me in on what happened in that match. Ancic was the only person who stretched Roddick to 3 sets in the Queens draw.
Looking forward to the Semi's, I think Roddick has the mental edge. This match will come down to tie breaks, and no one has a better tie break record than Roddick. Couple this with the fact that Ancic will be a little nervous, I expect Roddick to win in 3 sets, with 2 of the sets being tiebreaks. Worst case scenario for Roddick is that he looses a tiebreak and he wins in 4 sets.

Fumus
06-30-2004, 05:15 PM
I agree with Henree I'll put $5 on Roddick in 4..

Havok
06-30-2004, 05:15 PM
Ancic was lucky to get a set off Andy at Queens. The ball hit the net and did a funky bounce and it won him that set point. Andy is playing like total ass and if he doesn't improve, he's gonna go down in straights easily. I think Ancic will be nervous in this match, so that won't help him much. If Andy steps it up, he should win in 3 sets or 4 (Ancic's serve is good enough to win at least one set). It's a tough match to call because of Andy's not so good play throughout this event and the fact that this is one of Ancic's biggest matches yet.

sigmagirl91
06-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Roddick should win this match, but if he plays like he's played in the last couple of rounds, then he is toast.

MissPovaFan
06-30-2004, 05:25 PM
I'd be very confident with £10 on Roddick to be honest. Not that Im going to put cash on it :p

Auscon
06-30-2004, 05:30 PM
havent seen Ancic play, but if he can pull off some solid return of serve games, he's in with a chance

Coleburg83
06-30-2004, 05:31 PM
I'd definently put cash on Roddick, but he has not looked great, or as bad as people are saying.

I mean for god's sake, he has dropped one close set in like 10 straight grass court match wins.

Fumus
06-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Yea, I watched his play today and Andy was just super-dominant on his service games, then it looked like he was waiting for Sjeng to fold on his, he just made too many errors returning.

Sort of like Andy was like "ok, I don't need to really give 100% on your service games, you want to go to a TB, fine with me, I am all about tb's you will mess your serve up before I will mine". It's easier on Andy like that, Andy can just cruise. I see what Brad is doing now, this was the plan all along. Look at this match on the return games and look at it on the service games. Andy doesn't make anywhere near the same errors when it's his serve.

Look how he beat Popp, Popp btw I think played a similar style to Ancic, look how Andy beat Dent and I think Dent's volleys are better than super marios. Andy does well against other big servers, why? Because Andy has a better serve. Andy wouldn't have done soo hot if had to play a Hewitt, or a Henman, those guys get alot of balls back into play and they force Roddick to play more on the oppositions service games. Again, you would have seen Roddick do different stuff against those guys because he would have had a different game plan. Andy didn't have be an aggresive returner today, so he could same energy for the main event coming up in the final.

With Ancic you can expect to see similar play, Andy cruising for a tb unless Ancic faulters before that...but make no mistake, Andy can shift gears like Pete did. Andy in 3 or 4...

Sandra
06-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Go Mario he deserves to win the Wimbledon!!!!!He can beat Roddick!

henree
06-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Wow Fumus,
I think you maybe right. It maybe rare, but when Andy gets his service broken, he sure does step it up a notch. Alot of matches where Andy has gotten broken he raises his level and breaks right back. Andy isn't as bad a returner as most people think, he just seems more focused on holding his own serve, and battling it out in the tie breaks. A risky tactic, but Andy has the best tiebreak record in 2004. :eek:

Ballbuster
06-30-2004, 06:50 PM
I'm thinking Roddick in straights, but if I had to bet my life saving's, I'd bet on my ass

Havok
06-30-2004, 06:53 PM
Grass makes it more difficult to return serves no matter who you are. The ball zips through the court faster and stays low. Andy was never one to break people a whole bunch, but he does it more often than he used to at the begining of his career.

Deboogle!.
06-30-2004, 06:58 PM
I think Ancic could win unless Andy really steps up. As for mentality and experience that should go to andy, but gamestyle favors Ancic as his serve-volley play bothers him. I think it'll go 4 or 5 but honestly I am really not sure what will happen.

Red Lantern
06-30-2004, 07:30 PM
If Mario plays like how he did against Henman- then he was a real shot. Roddick has played ok- Shalken shook him up a bit- he hasn't dominated anything in my eyes.
Hell, I'll go with Mario- no-one thought he had a chance against Henman (with how he had beaten Scud previously)- and he played brilliantly.

Tennis Fool
06-30-2004, 07:32 PM
Henree, where's the poll :confused:

Anyway, Ancic seems to be that type of arrogant personality to think he can take out Andy since he took out Henman.

Andy, OtOH, seems to be the type of champ who falls asleep against players he deems inferior (Schalken) and gets a rude awakening. I doubt this will happen with Ancic.

Should be fun, but I think Andy has the experience to win.

Chloe le Bopper
06-30-2004, 07:40 PM
I don't see why Ancic would be nervous? Nobody is expecting him to win. He's the heavy heavy underdog - again. That seems to have worked well for him in the past, so why not now? I would like to think that if Andy wins (and I think he will) that it won't be a result of Ancic acting like a dear in headlights.

Either way, it's exciting to see Ancic finally have a real breakthrough. He hasn't been around that long, but for some reason it feels like it's been forever ;)

Red Lantern
06-30-2004, 07:42 PM
Anyway, Ancic seems to be that type of arrogant personality to think he can take out Andy since he took out Henman.
On what do you base that statement?
In every interview I've seen with him- he has nothing but suprise and happiness in getting this far- he's not going around with any arrogance or certainty. This was was emphasised particularly when interviewers asked him 'how you managed to look so calm'- and the man stuttered out he was extremely nervous but just blocked everything out. Ancic is the most likable player I have seen in a very long while. Roddick if anything is the more dozy one- who flutters between an excessive confidence to pure genius- usually within the same game.
Ancic is consistant- which will come in useful in the next match.

Deboogle!.
06-30-2004, 07:54 PM
Andy doesn't take any of his opponents lightly..... Schalken played about as well as he is capable of today, which he absolutely did not do in the last two slam matches they played each other in. That said if Andy doesn't step up a LOT, Ancic will win. Not much else to say.

amethyst
06-30-2004, 08:01 PM
I can´t see Ancic winning if Roddick keeps serving like today - even if Roddick doesn´t step up with the rest of his game. He´s so confident getting himself out of trouble with that serve.

undomiele
06-30-2004, 08:07 PM
I don't see how people can assume Ancic will be nervous against Roddick when he played an outstanding game against Henman and a loud, partisan British crowd on Centre Court in his first Wimbledon QF (and I don't think he's played against Henman before). If he could take out the crowd favorite without batting an eyelash, he shouldn't get too nervous about taking out Roddick. If anything, his win against Henman will probably make him more confident against Andy.

Deboogle!.
06-30-2004, 08:12 PM
well undomiele, it's hard to say, isn't it? It's uncharted territory for him. Neither we nor he can know how he'll feel when he steps on court. Either he'll be like you said and be full of confidence, or maybe he'll have a mental letdown after his huge win over Tim. It's so hard to say. And on the same token, who knows how Andy will be too. He's had trouble being at his best all tourney too, yet he's seemed to have been able to get through in straights... seems like a lot of unknowns IMO plus conditions and rain delays and all that junk could play a role too. I guess we'll just find out on Friday!

Fumus
06-30-2004, 08:15 PM
I can´t see Ancic winning if Roddick keeps serving like today - even if Roddick doesn´t step up with the rest of his game. He´s so confident getting himself out of trouble with that serve.

Good point. I just think, and this was the point of my last post; All Andy needs to do is serve well to win. He has done it all tournement, that maybe his stategy. Roddick can return well, and Roddick can win big points, if has too. It's just easier to cruise on your serve like Roddick is and let your opponent worry about holding...that way, when you get to a Federer, a Hewitt, a Henman, you aren't drained. Then again you havn't played at that level consistantly, so it maybe harder. It is for that reason I expect to see Andy raise his game on Friday in preperation for bringing out his A game for the final... ;)

Deboogle!.
06-30-2004, 08:18 PM
Ancic can return well too, he was hitting winners off of Henman's serves.... good ones too.

undomiele
06-30-2004, 08:27 PM
The truth is Id much rather have an Ancic v Federer final than a Roddick v Federer one. I just don't see Roddick beating Feds yet to be honest.

Coleburg83
06-30-2004, 08:39 PM
I'd say he has a helluva lot better chance at beating Roger than Ancic does.

Roddick has beaten Federer before in a big match last year.

Ancic beat him two years ago for an early upset.

I mean between Mario playing Federer in his first GS final or Roddick-Federer, I'd definently rather see the latter.

undomiele
06-30-2004, 08:45 PM
I'd say he has a helluva lot better chance at beating Roger than Ancic does.

Roddick has beaten Federer before in a big match.

Ancic has beaten Federer before on grass at Wimbledon Coleburg. And judging by the way both of them have been playing, Ancic seems to be at a peak whereas Roddick not so much. I mean Andy has been playing well, but not well enough to beat an in-form Federer. Id take an in-form, peaking Ancic over Roddick at this point. But we'll see how Mario and Roddick do, Im not saying Mario will automatically beat Roddick but he if he plays the way he played Henman, he would have a real chance to beat Andy and maybe even Feds.

Coleburg83
06-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Like I said, that was two years ago, it's not the same post-GS wins Federer that Roddick has played.

I mean he played a great match against Henman, that's true, but he got a lucky draw and retirement along the way and still nearly lost to that Frenchman in the second round.

People are making a big deal about Ancic taking a set of Roddick at Queen's, but who won that match?

J. Corwin
06-30-2004, 08:57 PM
I don't see why Ancic would be nervous? Nobody is expecting him to win. He's the heavy heavy underdog - again. That seems to have worked well for him in the past, so why not now? I would like to think that if Andy wins (and I think he will) that it won't be a result of Ancic acting like a dear in headlights.

I think so too. Ancic will let everything rip...and Andy's serve can't hold up forever either. ;)

undomiele
06-30-2004, 08:59 PM
Like I said, that was two years ago, it's not the same post-GS wins Federer that Roddick has played.

I mean he played a great match against Henman, that's true, but he got a lucky draw and retirement along the way and still nearly lost to that Frenchman in the second round.

People are making a big deal about Ancic taking a set of Roddick at Queen's, but who won that match?

I dunno, Roddick himself said in today's press conference that he was lucky to have beaten Ancic there at Queen's and that in his camp, at least, they thought Ancics chances at beating Henman was at least 50-50!! He seriously said that. In other words, this kid has got real potential on grass that other players recognize. Im not saying he's going to win but I don't think he's going to lose miserably. He's got a real good chance I think. Roddicks serve isn't everything.

YoursTruly
06-30-2004, 09:00 PM
I could choose from the two semi-final matchups, but at this point with who's left, I don't care about the rest, I just care about Roger and am just cheering for him to win the title without thinking of the others. ;)

Deboogle!.
06-30-2004, 09:00 PM

and taking a set off him isn't the whole story because it came down to one sloppy game at the very end of the 2nd set. But even so it was a very close match even in the other two sets, and Andy is either playing no better or even not as well as he was at Queens. It's also a best-of-5 match which is a very different monster from a best-of-3. Andy hasn't done too well in 5-setters this year but if it got to that point, his experience alone might be enough. Again, who knows?

Another question might be what Ancic's fitness is like? He hasn't played this many matches before. Yea he had the one retirement but he's also had 4 and 5-setters and a couple of mentally draining matches. Not saying this will be an issue - but again, it's uncharted territory for him and it's not for Andy, who is also in amazingly good shape and has played this much tennis many times before. The flipside is that Andy has the pressure of being #2 in the world and having the expectations that come with that.

I think it's gonna be close. Andy really needs to raise his game and Ancic has to be able to sustain the momentum and not have a letdown.

Snoopy_Girl
06-30-2004, 09:26 PM
Boy, would I love to see Ancic go to a GS final... But honestly, if Andy can just get his level up (I mean: ANYTHING above the level he had today :rolleyes: ), then he should be just fine eventually. It's all about who's gonna keep it together in the end and who can keep his serve going.

Deboogle!.
06-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Yep Snoopy, I agree. Could be a mental and/or physical fitness battle as much as anything else.

Port_Power
06-30-2004, 10:20 PM
Roddick in 4

joeb_uk
06-30-2004, 10:24 PM
i see roddick winning in 3, maybe 4 if he is pushed

Shy
06-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Boy, would I love to see Ancic go to a GS final... But honestly, if Andy can just get his level up (I mean: ANYTHING above the level he had today :rolleyes: ), then he should be just fine eventually. It's all about who's gonna keep it together in the end and who can keep his serve going.
I haven't see any matches of QF yet.So, what is wrong with Andy level?

Deboogle!.
06-30-2004, 11:19 PM
Shy, it's not that he's playing "badly" he's just not playing great. Today he had a lot of unforced errors (then again so did Schalken - there were a lot of long rallies with some great shotmaking by both guys)... as Carole said on the Andy forum, in each of his last few matches, something seems to be a little bit off. Against Popp, his passing shots weren't working, but against Dent the day before they were great. He served really well against Popp, not as great today (6 DF and some of them at tight points). He's sort of a little incosistent, maybe that's the right word. And if Ancic is really on his game, and since his game is the type to give Andy trouble anyway, he can definitely take advantage if Andy can't raise the focus and start hitting the ball better.

Hingie
07-01-2004, 04:36 AM
It's hard for me to imagine Ancic beating Roddick. He has the game to do it, but the semifinals of Wimbledon is a huge event. Ancic will have to be prepared to come to net lots and be fully aggresive, and take his chances on Roddick's serve. He also can't choke when it comes to a tiebreak. Still, I'm getting myself ready for a Federer-Roddick match-up.

undomiele
07-01-2004, 04:46 AM
Roddick's serve and volleying needs some real work. I was surprised at how many fairly simple volleys he missed today in his match against Schalken. :eek: He really does rely on his serve waay too much for my liking. Go get him Mario!

star
07-01-2004, 05:13 AM
Ancic winning Wimbledon would be the great Cinderella story of all time. :)

And, he would have NO trouble at all picking up girls after snagging the Wimbeldon trophy. :aplot:

shaoyu
07-01-2004, 05:58 AM
I dunno, Roddick himself said in today's press conference that he was lucky to have beaten Ancic there at Queen's and that in his camp, at least, they thought Ancics chances at beating Henman was at least 50-50!! He seriously said that. In other words, this kid has got real potential on grass that other players recognize. Im not saying he's going to win but I don't think he's going to lose miserably. He's got a real good chance I think. Roddicks serve isn't everything.

Totally agree. Nobody should underestimate Ancic now he has beaten Henman in straight sets.

Roger's comment on Ancic today:

Q. If you were the journalists, how would you describe Mario Ancic as a player?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, he's a youngster. You know, I've experienced him on Centre Court. I lost. So it's nice to see him finally doing well. I was a little bit disappointed, you know, that he didn't make that breakthrough earlier. But great effort today.

I thought he had a chance, but that he will beat Henman in straight sets also came for me as a surprise.

undomiele
07-01-2004, 06:38 AM
Ancic winning Wimbledon would be the great Cinderella story of all time. :)

And, he would have NO trouble at all picking up girls after snagging the Wimbeldon trophy. :aplot:

He reminds me of that guy from the Karate Kid. :lol: Ralph Macchio. But Im sure Im not the first one to say this.

superpinkone37
07-01-2004, 06:55 AM
i definately am going for roddick, and i hope in straight sets, though i dont care as long as he wins. but if andy wins in three, then i means he has upped his level and will be more prepared for the man who doesnt sweat (i.e. federer, whom is more than likely to beat poor seb) in the final

soso
07-01-2004, 07:01 AM
Vamos Mario !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You do it !!!!!!!!!!!

Trolls Need Love Too
07-01-2004, 07:07 AM
Ancic does have a chance, the question is whether he believes in himself. I see Roddick winning this match, but now is the time to step up the play for Roddick.