Croatian Mario Ancic into his first GS semis beating Tim [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Croatian Mario Ancic into his first GS semis beating Tim

Springy
06-30-2004, 02:19 PM
Mariolone Ancic won 76 64 62 against Timbledon(not anymore)

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Congart to Mario and to all Croatians fans here like Blade! :worship:

Neely
06-30-2004, 02:22 PM
yes, Congrats Ancic... good match beating Henman in straight sets! :worship:

Aleksa's Laydee
06-30-2004, 02:22 PM
MARIO!!!!!!!!

:bounce: :bounce: :bowdown: :bowdown: :dance: :dance: :bigclap: :bigclap: :yeah: :yeah: :yippee: :yippee: :woohoo: :woohoo: :rocker: :rocker: :banana: :banana:

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Congrats to Mario!! Best wishes in the semis!

Havok
I don't get why people say congrats to the fans :scratch: you should be congratulating the players. but anyways good win and good tournament for Ancic, and Henman:o yet another golden oportunity wasted. Oh well.

Springy
:)

Frooty_Bazooty
06-30-2004, 02:25 PM
Im speechless, apart from the few nervous double faults Ancic was absolutely flawless

akin
TIGER MARIO!!! :devil:

Springy
I don't get why people say congrats to the fans :scratch: you should be congratulating the players. but anyways good win and good tournament for Ancic, and Henman:o yet another golden oportunity wasted. Oh well.

I love to say congratulations to Mario first but to all his fans too......where's the problem!?

WyveN
06-30-2004, 02:26 PM
BIG serving from Ancic and the volleys/returns were impeccable as well. Shows him beating Federer as a 18 year old was no fluke.

This guy the next Goran?

joeb_uk
i feel this was tims last chance, and he lost it

akin
TIGERMARIO DEFEATED WIMBLICHOKEMAN :devil:

joeb_uk
06-30-2004, 02:27 PM
maybe ancic could trouble federer if they both get that far? i can only see federer embarassing roddick tho!

Conchon
06-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Congrats Mario!! :worship: That was a terrific performance from him.

Marine
06-30-2004, 02:29 PM
Poor Tim http://yelims.free.fr/Groumph/Triste18.gif

WF4EVER
06-30-2004, 02:30 PM
WOW! I didn't expect this to be so easy. Damn! WHat happened to Farmer Tim today?

Awwwww. All the hopes of WImbledon gone with one fell swoop of a Croatian axe.

Fedex
06-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Well, it looks like were going to get that Federer-Roddick final we wanted so badly :rolleyes: :o :mad:

Scotso
06-30-2004, 02:36 PM
congrats Mario!

athie
06-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Fantastic play from Ancic! :D

whirlwind
06-30-2004, 02:37 PM
Well done Mario! :yeah:
Following in the footsteps of Goran very nicely. :worship:

Good luck in the semifinal

tennyfan
06-30-2004, 02:39 PM
They said during the Henman/Ancic match that Ancic is Goran's protege. Is Goran working with Ancic? Or maybe they meant Ancic's just following in Goran's footsteps?

Neely
06-30-2004, 02:45 PM
I love to say congratulations to Mario first but to all his fans too......where's the problem!?
Springy, completely agree, don't know where Naldo sees the problem there :sratch:
Ancic and Croation fans must be very happy now and almost all Croats I know personally are very upright and proud persons of/for their country and why not congratulating them for this great performance of their (favorite) player :shrug:

whirlwind
06-30-2004, 02:47 PM
They said during the Henman/Ancic match that Ancic is Goran's protege. Is Goran working with Ancic? Or maybe they meant Ancic's just following in Goran's footsteps?
Yeah, they have been training together for a long time now. Mario comes from the same Tennis Academy I think they know each other since Ancic was 10 years old. Mario used to be his ballboy.

Neely
06-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Goran is the person who discovered the talent of Ancic and even practised with him and supported him also in many other ways. Of course, they are in contact nowadays, too.

And today the commentator also told a story that Mario, as a small boy when he was 9 or 10, worked as a ball kid for Goran at a tournament and that's where the special relationship between these two began. You could say that Goran deserves a huge part of that what Mario is as a player today.

I'm sure there are even much more stories and details about these two I'm just not aware of, but so far what I could share with you.

PinkFeatherBoa
06-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Well done to Mario- he played amazingly well, it was a fine win. :)

BaselineSmash
06-30-2004, 02:54 PM
Okay, Henman was serving huge in this match and still got beaten badly. I could only bear to watch the first set, and his returns and overall game just weren't as sharp as usual. Any theories as to his sub-par form? Merely another choketastic performance or some legitimate other factor?

henree
06-30-2004, 02:55 PM
What happened on Henman's service games? Was he having a bad service day, or was Ancic returning well. I thought Henman could at least hold serve...

quasimodo
06-30-2004, 02:58 PM
Well, it looks like were going to get that Federer-Roddick final we wanted so badly :rolleyes: :o :mad:

I wouldn't take for granted that Ancic would lose to Roddick (if latter beats Schalken). When they played in Queens it was a pretty close match.

Snoopy_Girl
06-30-2004, 03:02 PM
Poor Tim.. now all of England is gonna complain about this... They're already analysing how Tim might be too old next year. It must be hard for him to have to play with all these expectations every year :(

But really well done to Ancic... His preparation has been good, so really, all credit to him, even though I doubt he'll make it to the final, I hope he does :).

Lady
06-30-2004, 03:07 PM

I always congratulate fans, cos they'll read my words, and players won't hear me anyway :shrug:

So, Congrats Mario & his fans! :hearts: I'm one of them :banana:

whirlwind
06-30-2004, 03:16 PM
I always congratulate fans, cos they'll read my words, and players won't hear me anyway :shrug:

So, Congrats Mario & his fans! :hearts: I'm one of them :banana:

Thanx! ;) Right back at ya!!!

pinky
06-30-2004, 03:58 PM
What happened on Henman's service games? Was he having a bad service day, or was Ancic returning well. I thought Henman could at least hold serve...

The first set was very close. No breaks if i remember correctly.
In the second, Tim served like 35% 1st... no wonder about the result then...
In the third, Ancic really played well returning and he deserves his win.

soso
06-30-2004, 04:02 PM
Yes Mario Won !!!!!!!!!!
He is a very great young man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Ljubica*
06-30-2004, 04:31 PM
I am really sad for Tim :sad: but have to say good luck to Mario. Haven't seen the match yet because I was at work, - but will catch it on the highlights later on. Hope Mario can get to the Finals now :)

Chloe le Bopper
06-30-2004, 04:44 PM
:o

I bet on Mario in the outright market at the start of the tournament to "win it all", with plans to lay on him when he made the quarterfinal. Uh, then I went to bed and forgot to lay :D But I'll remember to before the semis!

Ballbuster
06-30-2004, 04:48 PM
This proves their is no God, and all the baptists in the south just spit out hogwash and that christians are dumb. This is what I've been saying all along

Chloe le Bopper
06-30-2004, 04:51 PM
Of course there is a God, he's on the telly as we speak....

Havok
06-30-2004, 04:56 PM
I didn't say applauding fans is a bad thing, I just find it odd and a bit weird. Go Ancic fans :banana:

undomiele
06-30-2004, 05:00 PM
Wow. Ancic played amazing. A formidable player is breaking out. He'll give Roddick a run for the match... Go Mario!

MissPovaFan
06-30-2004, 05:20 PM
Excellent win by Ancic over Henman but I dont think he will beat Roddick. To be honest I feel Roddick will be licking his lips at his side of the draw now as it should be a guaranteed Federer-Roddick final.

whirlwind
06-30-2004, 05:55 PM
This proves their is no God, and all the baptists in the south just spit out hogwash and that christians are dumb. This is what I've been saying all along
What's up with you and your posts about religion? :retard: This is a tennis forum, tennis thread and your posts just don't make sense. I don't know why I even bother... :rolleyes:

Ballbuster
06-30-2004, 06:04 PM
What's up with you and your posts about religion? :retard: This is a tennis forum, tennis thread and your posts just don't make sense. I don't know why I even bother... :rolleyes:

Have you been tallying my posts?

Habsudovafan
06-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Well done SUPERMario!!!

chris whiteside
06-30-2004, 06:58 PM
Okay, Henman was serving huge in this match and still got beaten badly. I could only bear to watch the first set, and his returns and overall game just weren't as sharp as usual. Any theories as to his sub-par form? Merely another choketastic performance or some legitimate other factor?

I think Henman is a very good player who will never reach the very peak. I didn't expect him to win the tournament. Ancic played well and I'm not looking for excuses but I find the one-sidedness of the result very strange. He was flat right from the start.

He was well trounced but I just wonder was there something wrong they're not revealing?

Sjengster
06-30-2004, 11:40 PM
I thought we were in for that typical cliched "rollercoaster ride" after the first set was over, but Henman just looked utterly flat from then on - is this a sign that age is catching up to him after four pretty tough matches to reach the quarters? One particularly laughable statistic was that his second serve points won went from an amazing 100% in the first set to a less than distinguished 0% in the third set. The double faults were just awful, and if ever there was a match that showed why he has to stay back sometimes on his serve this was it. Players can hit return winners off his first serve, never mind his second, and he's better from the baseline than Ancic - mixing it up would have given the Croat something to think about, instead of which he serve-volleyed 100% of first and second serves and paid for it.

On the highlights show tonight, they actually looked at the sets Henman has played in the tournament and found that the ones he lost were the ones in which he serve-volleyed the most - this should tell him that he needs a better serve. Not in terms of pace, but in terms of placement and variation.

Ancic showed signs of nerves only once, when he lost the break by double faulting in the middle of the second set, and Henman then handed the advantage straight back to him and he ran away with the match. I think it's a bit excessive to call him "the future of tennis" as one Ceefax headline did, but it's certainly good to see someone with an attacking game emerging as a young player of the future alongside the likes of Nadal, Mayer, Andreev etc... although does he have to beat every one of my favourite players on grass? That's three in the last three years now, and two in the last three weeks.