Clay season Thread 2008 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Clay season Thread 2008

MacArthur
04-18-2008, 08:45 AM
A little recap : Jo won't be playing Monte Carlo because of an injury on his knee. They have made him an injection and he will make a test in the middle of the next week to see if he is still in pain.

Tournament to be played (as of now) :

Munich April 28-May 4
Rome AMS May 5-11
Hamburg AMS May 12-18
Roland Garros May 26-June 8

The clay is near a new surface for him because he skipped the clay season last year and was injured most of the time before. So it's difficult to say what he will be able of achieving on it.
But he says he likes the surface and, like you foreigner may know, he is french and Roland Garros is a special place for us. So he will be very motivated to give us some good results.

As I see it, I think he doesn't really have the best style to play on clay. He's got more of an attacking style for fast surface. But it's possible to be aggressive on clay with some little adjustements and hard work, so we may be very surprised by him in the future.

His most disadvantage ( english :confused: ) on clay must be his lack of patience and his trend to frustrate himself when the break don't come early. But he knows how to construct a point and that's going to be very useful.

By the way, it's not only a place for commenting his results, you can also cheer for him, follow his match all together and share with us wathever you think is good for us to hear on him.

Edit: The tests were positives and he just returns to training this week. The come back is planned for Hamburg, Rome at best.

amdany
05-03-2008, 02:11 PM
he'll play vs Gilles Simon in the 1st round:sad::wavey:

Truc
05-05-2008, 05:34 PM
Another article about Jo in Rome here:
http://www.lefigaro.fr/sport/2008/05/05/02001-20080505ARTFIG00392--rome-jo-wilfried-tsonga-pose-le-pied-a-terre.php
But it's not interesting.
Like in Indian Wells, he's discovering the tournament since it's the first time he's playing there and he likes it.
He appreciates they are well isolated from the fans because it's terrible as soon as he gets closer to the gates, he says - so the journalist adds "better that than not being able to play".
He started playing again on last Thursday only - but it's the same for Gilles, they'll both have 3 days of training only.
Jo means the clay is fast and it suits him.

Truc
05-05-2008, 05:51 PM
And Wino also answers to the "criticisms" about a possibly rushed comeback:
"If the knee is bound to give up on him, it will happen anyway and to play now or in 2 weeks only won't change much in that regard."

Turquoise
05-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the updates guys. I hope I'll be able to see the televised match tonight. I wish him all the best of luck, and that he can sustain long periods of match play without discomfort. Hope the faster Rome surface gives him a good grounding for the rest of the clay season. Allez!

Truc
05-06-2008, 07:54 AM
In l'Equipe today:
Tsonga un pied sur terre
« EN SPORT, il n’y a jamais de miracle. » Malgré son sourire accueillant, Éric Winogradsky n’est pas du genre à prétendre qu’il voit la vie en ocre. Aujourd’hui, pour son retour à la compétition depuis sa défaite contre Julien Benneteau à Miami, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga ne mettra pas la victoire au premier plan de ses préoccupations contre Gilles Simon : « Le plus important, c’est son intégrité physique, avoue le coach. Le mot d’ordre est : prendre zéro risque pour le reste de la saison. On suit les consignes du doc que j’ai encore eu au téléphone dimanche soir et on gère sa reprise au jour le jour. »

Tsonga n’a ainsi reçu le feu vert de la faculté pour jouer des points que dimanche. Les deux heures passées sur les courts du Foro Italico, une face à Richard Gasquet, l’autre face à Mario Ancic, se sont bien passées. Mais… « Depuis sa blessure, il n’a pu travailler un peu que le haut du corps, rien à voir avec tous ces gars qui étaient sur les courts quatre à cinq heures par jour, poursuit Winogradsky. Si le règlement n’infligeait pas zéro point à un joueur qui manque un Masters Series quelle que soit la raison, nous ne serions pas là. Mais dans la mesure où il doit faire des matches d’entraînement, autant les faire ici. Ce qui rend les choses encore plus compliquées, c’est que Jo n’a quasiment pas joué sur terre depuis trois ans. » Ce deuxième match sur la surface depuis sa défaite devant Andy Roddick en 2005 à Roland-Garros constituera donc difficilement un marchepied vers la gloire, tout juste une reprise d’appuis. – Ph. B.Wino means the most important thing clearly is his health and to not jeopardize the rest of the season. The doc said he was able to play on Sunday only. He practiced one hour against Richie and one hour against Ancic then, everything was fine, but... Wino insists on the fact he could only work out his upper body during the injury break, so his preparation is very limited. They only decided to play here because players get a 0 when they miss a Masters Series. But since he needs to practice anyway, why not here? The problem is he has hardly played on clay for 3 years now.

MacArthur
05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
So in a few words, this match is not part of a competition, it's part of a training session :p

Still, it's great to have something hot to discuss in this topic, instead of the daily report of injury. :)

BTW, who will you pull for, Truc ? :devil:

Truc
05-06-2008, 08:50 AM
I know it might be hard to understand for some people, but I would cheer for Gilles Simon over the entire ATP tour. :p
I'm for Gillou tonight, but I'm scared. I'm sure Jo can play well on clay, I find it pretty annoying when people keep talking about his poor clay record.
Since Jo clearly has the mental edge imo and I don't think Gilles is in much better shape physically, I'm not confident at all.

But I just saw the odds are completely even on Betfair & Co., so I hope the bookies are right.

SelvenluvJo
05-06-2008, 08:53 AM
So in a few words, this match is not part of a competition, it's part of a training session :p

Still, it's great to have something hot to discuss in this topic, instead of the daily report of injury. :)

BTW, who will you pull for, Truc ? :devil:

I really wish I won't discuss in injury anymore .:angel:

martine2
05-06-2008, 10:57 AM
Most important for Jo is getting match practice and let's hope the knee will be ok.

Good luck!

MacArthur
05-06-2008, 10:24 PM
He lost but whatever. :)

He was just in need of a training session and he has one of two hours and 20 minutes. That's good enough for me. ;)

The most important thing is to see if the knee hold back and if he feels some pain tomorow.

I am quite sure that with more matches and a win or two, he can make something at Roland. Maybe already at Hamburg next week or at Marrakech.

I was behind a scoreboard, so anyone who've seen this match is welcome to give his impression. I would like to know if Gilou choke at 5/3 and if Jo choke on his three match points, or if it was just a beautifull undecided match. :)

Edit: GM is as bad as usual. They dare attack a player who don't touch a ball for a month and is still playing with an injury on his knee. Yet the guy found a way to dispute a tough three setter on a surface he practically never played on the three last years.

Some people just amazed me.

You did great, Jo. We are very proud of you.

*julie*
05-06-2008, 10:56 PM
Edit: GM is as bad as usual. They dare attack a player who don't touch a ball for a month and is still playing with an injury on his knee. Yet the guy found a way to dispute a tough three setter on a surface he practically never played on the three last years.

Some people just amazed me.

You did great, Jo. We are very proud of you.

Don't pay attention to what is said there. Posters (at least most of them) there are only good for bashing players. :rolleyes:

Truc
05-06-2008, 11:51 PM
He "choked" in the TB and lost to "Simple Simon", that's as low as it goes for GM, don't worry about that thread!

He was playing poorly during one set and a half imo, but he did well to stay somehow in the match and I didn't find the match that bad from the end of the 2nd set - apart from the two choke jobs, but well, a bit of drama doesn't hurt. :p
Gilles choked badly at 5-3, but Jo also played a nice game to come back at 5-5 (or 6-6?) then, he was driving Gilles nuts with his dropshots, for example, I thought it was nice to see him vary his game and try to find a solution. He always kept fighting, although he was obviously very rusty, his fitness seemed OK too, so it looked like a very decent effort to me for a first match after only a couple of days of training.
But I was so much into it, I can't really judge.
He was mad at himself after having missed the MP, but didn't look crushed at all during the handshake. He was very gracious in defeat.

JBdV
05-06-2008, 11:55 PM
Better luck in Hamburg Jo.

Turquoise
05-07-2008, 05:34 AM
Unfortunately I was unable to see the match because there was problem with DSTV in my region (no signals whatsoever) - horrible timing :mad::mad::fiery::banghead:

But, I'm pleasantly surprised to learn that Tsonga played a competitive match, and even had match points. After all, he was 3-5 in the 3rd set, but he still fought on and took the match to a deciding tie-break. And, considering that speed and movement are so essential on clay, he did very well indeed and I'm proud of him.

Our man is a fighter and he always wants to give the best of himself. He has had practically no physical preparation before the clay season on account of his knee injury. He didn't have to play at his best, nor should we expect him to at this time. I think this is a positive start for him. After yesterday, he will be able to assess his physical condition and have a better idea of how much he can extend himself for the rest of the clay season and thereafter. All the best to him. :hug:

Truc
05-07-2008, 07:35 AM
In L'Equipe:
Le bilan du voyage à Rome restait pourtant plutôt positif : « J’ai plutôt bien aimé son attitude, soulignait Éric Winogradsky. Le fait que pour son premier match sur terre battue, dans un tournoi nouveau pour lui, il ait sans arrêt cherché la solution. Je trouve ça très encourageant. » D’autant plus encourageant que le genou a tenu sans problème. « C’est pourquoi j’ai quand même la banane aujourd’hui, soulignait le convalescent. Je suis content de mon attitude malgré la défaite. Ça n’a rien à voir avec Miami où, malgré une victoire, j’avais honte de ce que je faisais sur le court. »

Wino: "I quite liked his attitude. The fact that for his first match on clay, in a tournament which was new to him, he kept looking for a solution. I find that very encouraging."
And same thing for Jo: "I’m pleased with my attitude despite of the defeat. There's nothing to compare with Miami where I was ashamed of what I was doing on the court, even if I won a match."

Truc
05-07-2008, 07:38 AM
And some more quotes of Jo:
"Je n'ai pas à rougir. Cette défaite va m'apporter beaucoup, a-t-il assuré. J'ai montré que j'étais capable de renverser une situation. Je n'étais pas bien après le 1er set, mais, ensuite, j'ai réussi à jouer mon jeu. En plus, je n'ai ressenti aucune douleur au genou, c'est pour cela que j'ai la banane malgré la défaite."
"Après, sur les balles de match, la réussite n'a pas là, a-t-il regretté. Mais j'ai prouvé que j'étais capable de jouer sur terre battue. Maintenant, je n'ai qu'une envie c'est de rejouer sur cette surface. Bon, ce ne peut plus être à Rome, ce sera à Hambourg la semaine prochaine."
"Il faut que je m'acclimate à cette surface, mais je suis sur que je peux réussir", a-t-il continué à moins de deux semaines du début de Roland-Garros.
"A Roland-Garros, ce sera un Tsonga bagarreur, comme d'habitude, et qui a envie de jouer et de lever les foules", a-t-il promis, enthousiaste.
http://fr.sports.yahoo.com/07052008/70/ms-rome-tsonga-battu-mais-content.html
"I have nothing to be ashamed of. I’ll get a lot out of this defeat. I showed I was able to turn things around. I wasn’t in a good position after the 1st set, but I managed to play my game from then on. And I didn’t feel any pain in the knee, that’s why I’m all smile despite of the defeat.
As for the match points, I was unlucky. But I've proved I’m able to play on clay. Now I’m dying to play again on that surface. Rome is over for me, so it’ll be in Hamburg next week.
I need to adjust to the surface, but I’m sure I can do well on it.
In Roland-Garros, people will see a fighting Tsonga, as usual, a Tsonga who feels like playing and wants to make the crowd 'go wild'."
(He doesn't really say "go wild", I don't know how to translate "faire se lever les foules"... How do you say that in English?)

Turquoise
05-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Nice positive feedback. Thanks Truc as always.

"faire se lever les foules" - I think it's similar to "get the crowd on their feet". As we all know, he likes to get the crowd engaged in the match, and he feeds positively from their energy and support.

MacArthur
05-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Thanks Truc :worship:

That's really interesting to see that he feels better in his head than at Indian Wells, despite the loss. More, he seems really eager to play on clay and that's promissing for Hamburg. I, sure, am pissed to be absent next week. :o

But for the moment let's just rejoyce that he didn't feel any pain in his knee during the match and hope that it will continue that way, especially this morning. :angel:

For "se lever les foules", I would say "to electrify the crowd", or something of the matter.

And :wavey: to Turquoise for all the fighting spirit coming from you. :)

Edit: grillé par Turquoise :)

Truc
05-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to remember for next time, that's the kind of thing Gaël might say in an interview too. :p (Your English is much better than mine, Benoît, you should be doing all the translations.)

I'll be in Hamburg and I'm very curious to experience the Tsongamania live! ;) He complained yesterday to the umpire that the photographers were photographing him all the time and that it was disturbing him ("after each shot, tac-tac-tac-tac-tac-tac" :lol: ), he really needs to get used to his new star status!

amdany
05-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to remember for next time, that's the kind of thing Gaël might say in an interview too. :p (Your English is much better than mine, Benoît, you should be doing all the translations.)

I'll be in Hamburg and I'm very curious to experience the Tsongamania live! ;) He complained yesterday to the umpire that the photographers were photographing him all the time and that it was disturbing him ("after each shot, tac-tac-tac-tac-tac-tac" :lol: ), he really needs to get used to his new star status!

he really said that :lol: poor Jo:hug:

you're going to Hamburg too( a few safinettes are going too):banana::banana:, have fun there:), and that means we'll have beautiful pics right?:p;)(you're good at taking pics)

SelvenluvJo
05-08-2008, 12:48 PM
For some reasons, I can't watch this match .My friend send the result messages to me at the middle night in our nation time.I relly could't sleep at that night. But after saw all of your messages I don't feel disappoint about this match . I'm happy because he feels better . I'm proud of him too .

Truc
05-08-2008, 01:02 PM
There is a little interview again in L'Equipe today, but it's the same as yesterday:Comme le disait son entraîneur Éric Winogradsky, mardi soir très tard, à la sortie du court où Jo-Wilfried Tsonga venait de perdre contre Gilles Simon malgré trois balles de match consécutives dans le tie-break final (6-2, 4-6, 7-6), « on ne peut pas se satisfaire d’une défaite, pourtant ». Pourtant, effectivement, quelques minutes plus tard, aux alentours de minuit, le finaliste de l’Open d’Australie fit un point très positif sur son match de reprise sur terre battue.
« VOUS VENEZ de perdre mais on remarque un sourire assez net sur votre visage…
– Oui, parce que je n’ai pas à rougir de cette défaite ; une défaite qui va sûrement beaucoup me servir pour la suite. Après un premier set raté, j’ai vraiment réussi à entrer dans le court, à jouer mon jeu jusqu’au bout. La réussite n’était pas là vers la fin et j’ai commis l’erreur de regarder Gilles plutôt que la balle au moment de frapper mon smash sur la deuxième balle de match (qui a terminé dans le filet…) mais je retiens surtout que j’ai eu l’attitude qu’il fallait et que là, j’ai déjà envie de repartir sur le court. J’ai déjà hâte d’être à Hambourg.
– Avec des pistes précises d’amélioration ?
– Le but est de jouer un maximum de matches sur terre battue. Je sais que je suis capable de très bien jouer sur cette surface mais j’ai l’humilité de me dire que ça ne viendra pas d’un coup, en claquant des doigts. Il n’y a qu’en match qu’on peut constater ce qu’il y a vraiment à travailler, à changer. Là, je me suis rendu compte qu’il fallait aller plus au filet, que je me déplaçais bien – je rappelle que j’ai grandi sur terre battue et que j’aidonc ça en moi –mais que sur deux ou trois mouvements je pouvais avoir eu du mal. J’ai encore besoin d’un temps d’acclimatation et l’objectif est de rendre ce temps le plus court possible.
– Verra-t-on un grand Tsonga à Roland-Garros ?
– (Il réfléchit.) En tout cas, ce sera le Tsonga qu’on connaît, bagarreur, avec beaucoup d’envie, prêt à faire se lever les foules. »He says he knows he's able to play very well on clay, but he also is humble enough to know it won't come overnight and he needs matches. That's the only way to realize what one needs to work on (for example, he realized against Gilles that he needed to come more to the net). He also means he moves well on clay, he grew up playing on that surface, it's natural for him, but he sometimes had a hard time on 2-3 movements ( :shrug: I don't understand what it means in French either).
And when he says people will see in Roland-Garros a fighting Tsonga who wants to electrify the crowd, etc. it's actually his answer to the question "Are we going to see a big Tsonga in Roland-Garros? - (He thinks about it.) You will see at least a fighting Tsonga blablabla". So it doesn't sound as "boastful" as it maybe did by reading that quote out of context.

MacArthur
05-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Fran :angel:

If you feel bored about translating, you can let the french text and I will give it a try. But if it's too long, you should just give a brief résumé (I know I will do that ;) )

About the movement, I've seen the highlights you posted on the Gilles Board, and I was under the impression that sometimes he was wasting time on special movement like (sorry in french, no idea of the english words) les reprises d'appui pour passer d'un coté à un autre ou certaines courses vers l'avant.

Anyway, what's really intersting is that he seems to greatly enjoy the surface and he has some weapons in his game who will be deadly on clay, like his touch with the dropshot or his knowledge at the net. So we have something to look forward in the future at Roland.

Yeah and l'équipe is his usual self. they adore make a semi-quote out of context one day, only to be followed the day after by the entire quote like saying " see, this guy is not as bad as you think " and, for themselves " you, fool, you've bought us two papers for one quote :( ".

Truc
05-09-2008, 08:42 AM
About the movement, I've seen the highlights you posted on the Gilles Board, and I was under the impression that sometimes he was wasting time on special movement like (sorry in french, no idea of the english words) les reprises d'appui pour passer d'un coté à un autre ou certaines courses vers l'avant. I don't know either how to say that, but I love to learn new words, if anybody else can help. The little hop just before the opponent hits the ball (to be able to move in another direction) is called "split step", as far as I know, but that's not exactly the same as "reprise d'appuis". You mean he was wasting time on the direction changes?
I didn't notice that, but I'm terrible at noticing this kind of things. I was focussing too much on the opponent too in this instance, but I actually forgot pretty soon about the knee by watching Jo, I expected him to look more "hampered" or cautious in his movement. I'll try to pay attention to it if I see him practicing in Hamburg.

SelvenluvJo
05-10-2008, 11:37 AM
main draw
http://bbs.tennis.com.cn/uploadFiles/2008-05/10_7845247_1.jpg

MacArthur
05-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Are you sure to have posted the good draw, Selvenluvjo ?

This is his section of the draw according to the draw posted in GM :

FEDERER Roger [SUI] (1) vs BYE
NIEMINEN Jarkko [FIN] vs SCHUETTLER Rainer [GER] (WC)
ANDREEV Igor [RUS] vs SODERLING Robin [SWE]
MAHUT Nicolas [FRA] vs TSONGA Jo-Wilfried [FRA] (14)

It's doable for the first match. Mahut can't find his tennis on clay. He is like mentally blocked by the surface. Andreev and Soderling can be really tough, so that's going to be harder. Then, it's Roger.

I would die for a serious Fed/Jo match. :cool:

I will come back saturday and just hope to see some good news then. :angel:

By the way, good trip to Françoise (alias Truc) at Hamburg. Have fun !

Alex.
05-11-2008, 04:16 AM
Mahut is a good first round, Andreev will be tough though. :( Love for him to take out Federer. :hearts:

amdany
05-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Order of play is out, he'll play tomorrow on Center court, it'll be the 2nd match
(1st match starts at 11h)

Alex.
05-12-2008, 01:46 PM
0-6 7-6 (5) 6-2

The first set was horrendous. He didn't even seem to care if he lost or won. :help: Pulled it out though. :)

lisaplenske
05-12-2008, 02:16 PM
far from his best even if nicolas played very good during the 2 first sets, jo can play much better than that

his serve has to be more effective(23 % in the first) and has to improve his backhand for his next opponent who will be tougher(andreev or soderling) so better to be ready to fight hard. Appreciate his attitude on the court,trying to fix his game,got angry about his tennis but stayed focus and calm to take the advantage.Very positive.

Allez jo, need more matchs and wins.

SelvenluvJo
05-12-2008, 02:34 PM
I almost went to hell when the first set was finshed .
But I feel stay in the heaven when the match is over .
Com'on Jo , you could do much better !

timafi
05-12-2008, 04:58 PM
good job Jo so proud of you:yeah::hug: one match at a time;you can do it

sorry I'm new here but I wanted to say hi:bigwave:

~*BGT*~
05-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Great fight Jo :woohoo: Let it be known that Jo does NOT lose to 2 Frenchmen in a row on clay. :yeah:

JBdV
05-12-2008, 05:18 PM
First ever win on clay :yeah:

amdany
05-12-2008, 06:21 PM
:bounce:Great job Jo

~*BGT*~
05-12-2008, 07:19 PM
First ever win on clay :yeah:

Really? :eek: Then that makes the victory all the more :drool:

Truc
05-13-2008, 12:58 AM
When I arrived on Sunday, I saw Jo practicing with Berrer and he looked very grumpy, was not moving well at all, I was really worrying and wondering if he was feeling fine.
And today I watched his match against Mahut. You've seen it too, so I don't need to comment on his game. ^^ Great fight, but... that was pretty shocking for good parts of the match!
People were really excited to see him though, even after this subpar performance in the first set they kept cheering for him (while I was just facepalming, TBH), they loved it too when he made his usual celebration after the win, etc.

As for the doubles match, he wasn't really brilliant, but you can blame his partner for the loss. :p

He looks very tight to me though, in training, when people want autographs, during the match, etc.

Turquoise
05-13-2008, 04:53 AM
Only had time to see the tail end of the match, but it was worth it. It was heartwarming to see him win when most people had written him off after that disastrous first set. The important thing is that he put that bagel behind him, started on a clean slate and prevailed in the end. So proud of him. Well done, and good luck in the tougher second round.

Michael_21
05-13-2008, 11:54 AM
well done master jo GOOD WIN keep it up XD

Truc
05-14-2008, 08:22 AM
I see now there was an interesting article about Jo in L’Equipe yesterday, but I have no time to translate it (I don’t have even time for a summary today, sorry):
Tsonga a atterri
Difficile vainqueur de Nicolas Mahut (0-6, 7-6, 6-2), le Français a remporté hier son premier match sur terre battue. Décryptage. HAMBOURG – (ALL) de notre envoyé spécial

JO-WILFRIED TSONGA avait déjà passé quelques tours de qualifs à Roland-Garros. Mais l’histoire retiendra qu’il dut attendre le 12 mai 2008 pour décrocher son premier succès sur terre battue sur le circuit principal de l’ATP. Ce fut assez long (1 h 54’), parfois douloureux (jusqu’à 3-3 au tiebreak du deuxième set), mais cette victoire sur Nicolas Mahut devrait forcément en appeler d’autres : « Oui, ça représente quelque chose de particulier, reconnut Tsonga. D’abord parce que ça faisait longtemps que je l’attendais. Mais aussi parce que j’espère que c’est le début d’une longue série. » Retour en questions sur cette grande première.
POURQUOI UNE « BULLE » AU PREMIER SET ?
Parce qu’il fallut vingt-cinq minutes à Tsonga pour trouver son équilibre, au sens propre du terme. Constamment agressé par Mahut, il passa six jeux à déraper, glisser, piétiner, boiser. « On aurait dit les premiers pas de Bambi », s’amusait presque son entraîneur Éric Winogradsky. Novice sur la surface, le finaliste de l’Open d’Australie vit en ce moment sa période d’apprentissage. « Pour moi, sur terre, le plus difficile, c’est de bouger, admet-il. Je maîtrise encore mal les changements de direction. Comme je suis puissant, je perds de l’énergie et du temps. Vu que je n’ai aucune expérience, je passe toujours par un petit temps d’adaptation. En plus, avec son style de jeu, “Nico” me perturbe plus qu’un gars qui remet la balle. Mine de rien, c’était un match piège. » Bien cadré dans ses schémas tactiques (« jouer sur terre comme si j’évoluais sur dur »), Mahut ne se priva pas de le bousculer. Avant de perdre progressivement le contrôle de l’échange.
COMMENT TSONGA A-T-IL RENVERSÉ LA VAPEUR ?
En se montrant fidèle à sa réputation de guerrier, c’est-à-dire en cherchant l’ouverture. Chez Tsonga, « se battre » ne signifie pas uniquement « mouiller le maillot ». La dépense physique cohabite systématiquement avec le jus de crâne. « C’est ce que je trouve formidable avec lui, dit Winogradsky. Il cherche en permanence des solutions. C’est son côté “fighter”. Et c’est un truc sur lequel il pourra toujours compter. »Hier, la clé passait par un petit trou de serrure : une légère modification de sa position en retour de service. « Même si c’était une option risquée, parce que Mahut possède un gros service, il fallait en passer par là poursuit "Wino". Petit à petit, Jo est parvenu à marquer des points sur ses jeux de retour. Il a même obtenu des balles de break (deux) au début du deuxième set (à 1-0). Comme son service s’est amélioré en cours de match, il a repris pied dans la partie. » Tsonga estime que sa réussite sur terre battue passera par une attitude irréprochable : « Je ne vais pas y arriver en claquant des doigts, résume-t-il. C’est en persévérant, en gagnant des matches à l’arrache que la confiance va revenir. » Le nuage australien est crevé. Tsonga a décidé de mettre le nez dans le guidon.
SON GENOU LE HANDICAPE-T-IL ?
Non, trois fois non, lorsqu’il dispute son match : « Une fois sur le court, je n’ai aucun blocage et j’oublie tout », assure-t-il. Et oui, mille fois oui, pour ce qui est de sa préparation. « Je fais moins, reconnaît-il. Je ne fais aucune muscu lourde ou violente sur le bas du corps. Et j’ai des renforcements spécifiques supplémentaires pour le genou. Je fais peu de courses, pratiquement pas d’intermittents. J’évite toute situation de blocage. Évidemment, ça me dessert, a fortiori avant un Grand Chelem comme Roland-Garros… » Winogradsky va plus loin en suggérant que son joueur, tel un étudiant débordé la veille de l’examen, est contraint à des impasses. « Oui, il y a des séquences de jeu que l’on ne peut pas travailler à cause du genou, confirme-t- il. Mais je préfère le voir sur un terrain, même à 80 % de son potentiel, que coincé à la maison. Le problème de la terre battue, c’est qu’on ne peut pas tricher. Il y a des basiques incontournables. Alors, évidemment, ça rend notre tâche plus difficile. Mais aussi plus exaltante. Pour un coach, ce côté casse-tête est très intéressant. » La conjonction des planètes Genou et Terre battue a modifié l’orbite de son joueur : « Jo sait qu’il ne peut pas passer en force comme il l’a fait en Australie, dit-il. À la limite, en ce moment, il a presque tendance à sous-jouer. Le défi va être de trouver le juste milieu. »
PEUT-IL RÉUSSIR SUR TERRE BATTUE ?
Sans le moindre doute… s’il reste fidèle à sa philosophie. « J’ai l’impression que Jo a trouvé sa voie, estime Mahut. Il remet croisé en revers, il se décale en coup droit et il a toujours son énorme service. Son seul problème, c’est le déplacement. Mais ça se règle avec le temps de jeu. Le plus difficile pour lui, comme pour tous les attaquants, sera de garder le même état d’esprit pendant cinq sets. Il ne faut pas lâcher le fil conducteur de l’agressivité. » Une crainte que ne partage pas le principal intéressé. Plus un match avance, plus Tsonga se sent pousser des ailes : « Si je joue en cinq sets et que je commence à me sentir mieux au bout de deux heures et demie, je me dis que c’est plutôt bon signe ! » Rien de tel qu’une première fois pour vous booster le moral.
VINCENT COGNET I love Wino's Bambi comparison about Jo's first set, it's so true. And I can confirm he was hardly running when I saw him in training, it was so weird, he was just walking, I was already wondering if he was going to pull out! But it didn't show during his match, they're just being extremely careful in training, apparently.

martine2
05-14-2008, 11:17 AM
good job Jo so proud of you:yeah::hug: one match at a time;you can do it

sorry I'm new here but I wanted to say hi:bigwave:

Hi,

Wanted to rep you to say welcome, but I couldn't (you should spread some...) :confused:
I checked yr posts and then of course I saw what you said before about my fav player... :p

Well, welcome anyway :p

martine2
05-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the great article Fran :yeah:

Truc
05-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Here's a very, very raw summary of the article:

The article says it was his first win on clay on the ATP main tour (even though he had already won some qualifying matchs in RG), so it means a lot to him. He's been waiting for it for a long time and he hopes it's just the first one of many wins.

Why a bagel in the 1st set?
Wino says the 1st set reminded him of Bambi's first steps. Jo admits the movement on clay gives him a hard time. Since he's pretty heavy, he wastes time when he has to change the direction. He needs some time to adapt in each match because of his lack of experience. That's why Nico is harder to play for him than a guy who will just keep the ball in play for a while and give him more time to adjust. It was actually a tricky match for him.

How did he manage to change tack?
Because he's a warrior and never gives up, not only physically, but also mentally. When things are not working, he always tries to find a solution. Wino admires that a lot. Against Mahut, the solution was to change the returning position a little bit. It was risky because Mahut is a great server, but it worked, he started winning more points in his return games, even had a couple of BP at the beginning of the 2nd set and since his own serve was getting better and better, he eventually managed to get a foothold in the match. Jo stresses this attitude is essential on clay. He knows he has to be persevering, to never give up and at one point he will start winning these close matches.

Does his knee hamper him?
Not at all during the matches, Jo says he completely forgets about it on the court. But it's a huge problem for his preparation. No work-out of the lower body, he hardly runs, avoids any situation where his knee might "lock", etc. Wino says there are entire areas of the game they can't work on because of the knee. Like a student who has to skip over some topics in his revision. Wino prefers to see Jo playing at 80% of his abilities than stuck at home, though. But one can't cheat on clay, there are some basics and it's not easy to work in these conditions. It's a great challenge and a very interesting "brain-teaser" for him as a coach. Jo knows he won't be able to get past by sheer effort like in Australia. He's even rather "underplaying" atm. He now needs to find the right balance.

Can he do well on clay?
Without a doubt if he sticks to this attitude. Mahut says Jo has found the right way for him to play on clay, his only problem atm is the movement and he will get used to it. According to Nico, the main issue for Jo will be to keep his focus during 5 sets, it's the same problem for all the attacking players. But Jo doesn't really agree about that and sounds quite euphoric after his first win.

Truc
05-15-2008, 08:44 AM
The match report in L'Equipe, I'll make a summary later (unless somebody else does it in the meantime, of course :p):Tsonga veut y croire
Malgré la défaite contre Söderling (6-2, 7-5), le Français estime progresser sur terre battue.

QUELLE QUE SOIT la surface glissée sous ses pieds, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga n’a jamais vraiment mégoté sur la frappe de balle. Mais le Français est tombé hier après-midi sur un spécimen qui ne souffre d’aucun complexe en la matière. Pas vraiment réputé pour son trop-plein d’humilité, Robin Söderling ne lésine pas non plus sur les balles qui lui arrivent entre la hanche et l’épaule. Son dieu, c’est pan ! Services et coups droits claquent comme des coups de fouet. Si les trajectoires restent dans les limites du court, l’adversaire n’a plus qu’à se mettre à l’abri. En attendant une éventuelle éclaircie. Tsonga patienta ainsi jusqu’à 6-2, 4-2, 40-15. Trois points plus tard, il obtenait sa première balle de break. Il la fit fructifier, revint à cinq partout mais finit par subir le pressing du Suédois. « J’ai longtemps eu l’impression de me faire “éclater”, reconnut le Français. Mais ça venait aussi du fait que je lui offrais trop de balles faciles. Une fois que j’ai pu jouer mon jeu, le combat s’est équilibré. Et, physiquement, j’étais plus costaud que lui sur la fin. C’est peut-être un train qui vous passe dessus, mais j’aurais bien aimé jouer un troisième set pour le faire dérailler. » Tsonga quitte pourtant Hambourg le coeur léger. Il ne souffre plus du genou, apprend progressivement à maîtriser les arcanes de la terre battue et se satisfait d’un niveau de jeu franchement… médiocre. « Quand je vois ce que je peux réaliser en ne sentant rien et en ajustant très mal mon jeu de jambes, je me dis qu’il y a vraiment quelque chose à faire, dit-il. En ce moment, j’ai l’impression de ne pas mettre une seule balle où je veux, y compris quand elle reste dans le terrain ! Mais plus je jouerai sur terre, plus je serai efficace. » C’est la raison pour laquelle il ralliera dimanche le tournoi de Casablanca. « Je vais là-bas chercher des matches, explique-t-il. Quelques victoires seraient bonnes pour le moral. En tout cas, ce qui est certain, c’est que je prends un plaisir énorme sur le court. Un plaisir tel que je me sens réellement capable de faire un truc à Roland-Garros. »
Reçu trois sur cinq
Son optimisme tient essentiellement au format inhérent aux tournois du Grand Chelem. « Franchement, il y a un monde d’écart entre les matches en trois sets et ceux en cinq, lâche-t- il. J’ai l’impression que ce n’est pas le même sport. Il y a moins de surprises en Grand Chelem, c’est beaucoup plus exigeant, on ne peut pas gagner sur un coup de chance. Le physique tient aussi un plus grand rôle. Ça m’avantage, je crois. » Le showman qui sommeille en lui depuis l’aventure australienne et sa première sélection en Coupe Davis en Roumanie ne demande qu’à émerger de son hibernation printanière. « Le fait d’attaquer Roland- Garros avec cette envie incroyable va forcément me transcender, conclut-il. Pendant un set ou pendant plusieurs matches, ça, on verra… Mais ça va être quelque chose de très spécial. » À J – 10 du début des Internationaux de France, le fauve est déjà dans les starting-blocks.
VINCENT COGNET

Truc
05-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Whatever surface he plays on, Jojo is the kind of guy who hits as hard as he can. But the same applies to his opponent yesterday. And when Söderling's shots don't go out, you just have to be patient and wait for your chance. That's what Jo did until 6-2, 4-2, 40-15. He came back at 40-40, finally got a BP, took it, tied 5-5, but Söderling's pressure was too big in the end.
Jo means he really felt dominated during a good part of the match, also because he was giving Söderling easy balls to play. When he started playing his game, it became more even. And he even felt physically stronger at the end of the match. Söderling is like a train which runs over his opponent, but Jo would have loved to play a 3rd set to try to derail the train.

He leaves Hamburg in good spirits though. No pain in the knee and he's satisfied with his very poor level of play: "When I see what I manage to do without having any sensations on the court and without being able to adjust my footwork at all, I think there really is room for more. Right now, it feels like I can't put one single ball where I want it to be, even when I'm just trying to play it back within the limits of the court! But the more I will play on clay, the more efficient I will be."
He'll go to Casablanca on Sunday to get more matches under his belt. A few wins will do him good. "One thing is sure, I'm totally enjoying being on the court atm. I'm enjoying it so much that I really feel I can do something nice in Roland-Garros."
Grand Slams feel like a different sport to him. There are less surprises, it's much more demanding, you can't win with just a bit of luck, the stamina also is more important. He thinks that all this favours him and that with this state of mind just before Roland-Garros, he will be able to transcend himself. Maybe just for one set, maybe for more matches... But it will be something special for sure.

SelvenluvJo
05-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Casablanca Hum:cat:~~~
I'm thinking if Gas doesn't attend into this match , Jo maybe the No.1 seed.:eek:

SelvenluvJo
05-17-2008, 04:21 PM
The first round:

TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried (FRA)
--------------------------
MONTANES, Albert (ESP)

What a bad draw !:sad::sad::sad:

lisaplenske
05-19-2008, 11:48 AM
Good match jo,do your best:)

MacArthur
05-19-2008, 04:55 PM
His match against Montanes will soon begin now. :p

I am going to follow it live here, for those who are interested :

http://www.tvchannelsfree.com/watch/3082/Arryadia---Maroc.html

It's his first match against a real clay court specialist. So we will see. Nothing to lose after all.

MacArthur
05-19-2008, 05:38 PM
First set Jo, 6/4 :D

He's good. Not awesome, but good.

The serve is here, his gameplan are correct and he takes his chance when he can with a good proportion of winners. It seems to me that he lacks some feeling with the ball on some volleys or short balls.

Uuupss start of the second set. :devil:

MacArthur
05-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Victory :worship:

6/4 7/6

Good to take. Montanes was better in the second and Jo made more UEs. But the level of play was better and he followed without any trouble. A couple of victories at Casablanca would be perfect before RG. :D

SelvenluvJo
05-19-2008, 06:48 PM
Victory :worship:

6/4 7/6

Good to take. Montanes was better in the second and Jo made more UEs. But the level of play was better and he followed without any trouble. A couple of victories at Casablanca would be perfect before RG. :D

yeah , so much UEs , I'm going crazy .:sad:
However, he wins .Good luck to next round .:worship:

lisaplenske
05-19-2008, 06:54 PM
well not the best jo,far from that with many ues but he is improving a bit I think.
Lets see how he ll do with better players in this tournament.
He seemed really happy at the end of the match.Hopefully he will win more.
Allez jo:)

Alex.
05-20-2008, 02:20 AM
Congrats Jo! I didn't watch, so I can't comment on the match, but any clay wins are ok with me at this point.

Turquoise
05-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Well done Tsonga on winning this match in straight sets. :yeah: Montanes is a decent claycourter, who has been in surprisingly good form lately, so this makes the win all the sweeter. Really wise decision to enter in this tournament as a build-up to RG.

The unforced errors are to be expected whilst he gradually adapts his movement and footwork on clay, and (more importantly) tests his knee without further aggravation to the injury. I just hope he will be warmed-up but not too tired before his first round match at RG.

Tsonga, electrify me please! :kiss:

MacArthur
05-21-2008, 04:07 PM
He is playing right now against Ouahab. The first set is in his pocket 6/3, break 1/0 for him in the second.

It's useless to say that so far Ouahab deserve his rank of " 300 et quelques " :devil:

MacArthur
05-21-2008, 04:37 PM
Another win, 6/3, 6/2 :worship:

The serve was really good, but it's hard to evaluate the rest of his game cause I only caught up with the end of the second set and because his opponent wasn't a premier class one.

2moretogo
05-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Is there a reason why he's playing on a bum knee before the FO? Is it because he's using matches more like training/preparation since they can't do much?

Just wondering, thanks!! Good to see he is winning also!

Truc
05-22-2008, 02:14 PM
He means his knee is fine. He would have trained anyway, I don't think it's a problem he plays Casablanca, he needs the wins to get some confidence on clay.

TV5 is reshowing his match against Ouahab since El Aynaoui pulled out.

Truc
05-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Here’s what he says in L’Equipe today:
LA BALADE DE TSONGA. – Opposé au modeste Algérien Lamine Ouahab (330e ATP), Jo-Wilfried Tsonga n’a pas fait dans la dentelle (victoire, 6-3, 6-2). Le déficit de puissance était trop flagrant pour son adversaire. Pierre après pierre, le Français continue à édifier son mur de confiance sur terre battue. « Avec Lamine, on se connaît depuis tout jeunes et j’avais toujours pris des roustes contre lui !, rappelait le finaliste de l’Open d’Australie. Là, je suis vraiment content de mon match. Je me sens de mieux en mieux sur cette surface. Je trouve que j’ai super bien servi. Quelque chose comme 100 % de premières balles, non ? (en réalité, 77 %). En plus, depuis un an, je compte sur les doigts de la main les matches que j’ai bouclés en moins d’une heure et demie. C’est bien. » Tsonga ne lésine pas sur les doses d’entraînement. « Comme avant chaque gros événement, je met la gomme et je reste le plus concentré possible. » C’est peu dire qu’il partira largement favori de son quart de finale face à l’Espagnol Santiago Ventura (94e).
He was just too powerful of Ouahab.
“I know Lamine since we were kids and he had always given me a beatdown so far! I’m very happy about my match. I’m feeling better and better on this surface. I mean I served very well. My 1st serve stat was close to 100%, wasn’t it? [77%, actually.] And I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of matches I’ve won in less than one hour in the past 12 months. It’s great.”
He’s training very hard. “As usual before a big event, I’m working flat out and I try to stay as focused as possible.”
He’ll be heavy favourite in his quarter against Ventura again (#94).

MacArthur
05-22-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks for that, Truc :wavey:

The retransmission of his match just started on the link of the page before.

Already one break for Jo :cool:

Allez Jo :bounce:

MacArthur
05-22-2008, 04:52 PM
First set Jo : 6/3 :bounce:

His serve is great. Ventura couldn't make more than one point on each of his serve game. :worship:

But his return game weren't as good. Sure, he took twice the serve of Ventura, but it's harder globaly and he make many UEs.

Hopefuly, he will progress with the match. :)

MacArthur
05-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Win 6/3, 6/3 for Jojo Le Manceau :worship:

The second set was better than the first : less UEs, more winners, from the forehand in particuliar.

Only one little bit of choke when he missed two matchpoints on the ventura serve at 5/2 and was led 15/40 on his serve at 5/3. But he found a way to save the day and here he is, in the semi-final of Casablanca.

I would be delighted if he wins Casablanca, just to know that his first title on the main tour is on clay for all the whiners who live in GM. :devil:

Next match tomorrow against Gillou (again ;) ) or Marco. :wavey:

Alex.
05-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Allez Jo. Some wins on clay are nice to finally get. :cool:

amdany
05-22-2008, 06:27 PM
well done Jo:) and good luck tomorrow!!

Brego
05-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Good win for Jo against Ventura today.

His claycourt game seems to be rapidly improving.

Truc
05-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Is there a reason why he's playing on a bum knee before the FO? Is it because he's using matches more like training/preparation since they can't do much?

Just wondering, thanks!! Good to see he is winning also!And it's just a guess, but maybe he also likes it's so quiet in Casablanca. The media would go apeshit over him in Paris again imo, he would have to give tons of interviews, etc.
Even Benneteau said today in L'Equipe it's nice to be in Casablanca the week before RG because nobody cares about the event and they can practice in peace. So if even Julien Benneteau feels that way... And it's true the French players training in RG seem much more under scrutiny, there are reports and pics and videos everywhere.

Truc
05-22-2008, 07:42 PM
I would be delighted if he wins Casablanca, just to know that his first title on the main tour is on clay for all the whiners who live in GM. :devil:Oh oui! :yeah:

Truc
05-22-2008, 09:42 PM
I hadn't realized he will be at worst #11 in the rankings next week! :eek:

MacArthur
05-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Indeed, that's :eek:

Can he make the top ten if he wins Casablanca or just by making the final ?

Just asking :cool:

Turquoise
05-23-2008, 05:12 AM
I like what I'm seeing. :) Cassablanca was indeed a wise choice. Sure, the quality of the field is not that outstanding, but the important thing is that he's getting match practice, building his confidence on clay.

To answer MacArthur's question, if he wins the tournament, he will make it to the top 10: he earns 1595 ranking points and overtakes Wawrinka (1575 points). He is already guaranteed 11th place as semi-finalist thru' to losing finalist.

Truc
05-23-2008, 08:08 AM
« Ventura a dû faire un complexe et il m’a laissé jouer mon jeu, reconnaît Tsonga. Mais j’ai vraiment très bien servi. Et, surtout, j’ai énormément progressé dans les enchaînements vers l’avant. Avant, sur une balle courte, je ratais ; ça m’arrive de moins en moins. Je prends l’initiative quand il le faut. La terre, ce n’est pas uniquement du physique, mais aussi pas mal de tactique. »
Ventura must have felt a ‘hang-up’/a complex and he let me play my game. But I really served very well. And most of all, I’ve made huge improvements in my movement forwards. I used to miss a lot on short balls; it doesn’t happen often anymore. I’m taking the initiative when I need to. Clay isn’t only a question of stamina, but also of tactics.

And they both say with Gilles the next match will have nothing to do with the Rome one since they have improved a lot since then:
« Franchement, à Rome, c’était déjà pas mal, souligne Tsonga. C’est un bon souvenir parce que c’était un match de reprise et qu’il avait réellement lancé ma saison sur terre battue. Mais je suis aujourd’hui un autre joueur. Déjà, parce que je joue différemment. Làbas, comme j’évoluais loin derrière ma ligne, il y avait eu beaucoup d’échanges. Ici, j’arrive à écourter. Je sens que je joue beaucoup plus juste. »
Frankly, Rome wasn’t that bad. It’s a good memory because it was my first match and it really launched my season on clay. But today, I’m a different player. Because I’m playing in a different way. In Rome, I was staying far from my baseline, there were a lot of rallies. Now I'm able to shorten the points. I feel much more ‘well-tuned’. (I don’t know how to translate that, sorry, and I have to work now, Benoît certainly can give us the exact translation of “jouer juste”. :p)

SelvenluvJo
05-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Truc, thanks gor your translation .

SelvenluvJo
05-23-2008, 02:14 PM
Jo retreats the match . I guess he will fly to France immediately .

MacArthur
05-23-2008, 02:14 PM
He has withdrawn apparently :sad:

He is speaking right now on the marrocan TV and it seems to me that he is just preserving himself for Roland. So no need to worry. ;)

We can assume that make a good Roland is more important to him right now, than winning his first tourney. Unless he spoke with the organiser of Roland and they told him that they couldn't delay his match as much as he need it.

martine2
05-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Hope he's ok...

Puschkin
05-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga n'a pas pu disputer sa demi-finale vendredi face à Gilles Simon au Maroc car son genou droit le fait encore souffrir. «Son genou a de nouveau gonflé hier (jeudi) après sa victoire en quarts de finale, or les médecins lui avaient dit il y a un mois qu'il ne fallait pas insister et arrêter tout de suite si cela se reproduisait, a expliqué son attaché de presse Ludovic Languet. Jo rentre à Paris ce soir pour passer des examens samedi. C'est reparti comme il y a un mois.»

Le finaliste de l'Open d'Australie avait dû renoncer début avril au quart de finale de la Coupe Davis face aux Etats-Unis puis aux tournois de Monte-Carlo et de Munich en raison d'une lésion du ménisque. Une opération avait été envisagée, mais elle l'aurait rendu indisponible pendant deux mois.

Le Français, 15e mondial, «est dégoûté» selon son coach mais «ne prendra pas de risques. Tout dépend de l'évolution sachant qu'il pourra demander de jouer son premier tour mardi. Mais il est évidemment incertain pour Roland.»

Source: http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2008/20080523_160004_tsonga-blesse_Dev.html

2moretogo
05-23-2008, 03:18 PM
Same here. Tsonga v. Monfils 2r should be interesting...:devil:

SelvenluvJo
05-23-2008, 04:05 PM
Same here. Tsonga v. Monfils 2r should be interesting...:devil:

I hope I could watch this match .:devil::devil::devil:

amdany
05-23-2008, 04:28 PM
He has withdrawn apparently :sad:

He is speaking right now on the marrocan TV and it seems to me that he is just preserving himself for Roland. So no need to worry. ;)

We can assume that make a good Roland is more important to him right now, than winning his first tourney. Unless he spoke with the organiser of Roland and they told him that they couldn't delay his match as much as he need it.

Ohhh, I so hope you're right and that it's nothing too serious:sad:

I also want him to play against Gael:D

lisaplenske
05-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Oh no Jo,not again:sad:

soulage
05-23-2008, 07:58 PM
The Qualifier vs Tsonga is Jenkins.

If he asks to play Tuesday it could be right for RG but maybe he won't avoid the operation now :sad:

Truc
05-23-2008, 08:07 PM
He is speaking right now on the marrocan TV and it seems to me that he is just preserving himself for Roland. So no need to worry. ;)I'm just watching my recording of TV5 and he looks quite worried to me. He says he was in a lot of pain - but he also says "it was hurting a lot when I woke up yesterday", and he played well against Ventura, so maybe it won't prevent him from playing.

MacArthur
05-24-2008, 12:59 AM
I don't know, maybe I was overly optimistic. :sad:

I just saw a little bit of interview where he seems pretty normal to me. But l'équipe is a better source of information of course. :sad:

Wait and see.

SelvenluvJo
05-24-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm just watching my recording of TV5 and he looks quite worried to me. He says he was in a lot of pain - but he also says "it was hurting a lot when I woke up yesterday", and he played well against Ventura, so maybe it won't prevent him from playing.

:sad::sad::sad:
Wish he could be fine .

Alex.
05-24-2008, 03:56 AM
:sad: Not again. Hopefully he's just being careful ahead of Roland Garros.

Truc
05-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Article in L'Equipe:
Tsonga, la tuile
De nouveau touché au genou, le Français a déclaré forfait à Casablanca. Il pourrait faire une croix sur Roland-Garros.

JEUDI SOIR, quelques minutes après le succès aisé de Jo-Wilfried Tsonga sur l’Espagnol Ventura, son préparateur physique, Cyril Brechbuhl, apposa une énorme poche de glace sur son genou droit. Une routine presque bénigne depuis que le Français souffre d’une lésion au ménisque droit, diagnostiquée quelques jours avant le quart de finale de Coupe Davis États-Unis - France disputé à Winston-Salem. Obligé à redoubler de prudence avec ce satané genou, Tsonga avait ensuite fait l’impasse sur Monte-Carlo, repris timidement à Rome et à Hambourg, avant de rallier Casablanca, où il devait affronter hier Gilles Simon en demi-finales. Le match n’a jamais eu lieu : quelques minutes avant son entrée sur le court, le finaliste de l’Open d’Australie a en effet déclaré forfait.
De nouveau douloureuse, l’articulation avait gonflé durant la nuit. « J’avais reçu une injection de cortisone pour calmer l’inflammation et, depuis quelques semaines, ça allait mieux, raconta Tsonga. Jeudi matin, c’était un peu enflé, mais j’avais pu gagner mon quart contre Ventura. Ce matin (hier matin), en revanche, le genou était gonflé et j’avais mal. Ça ne servait à rien d’entrer sur le terrain. »
Le Français estime que le mal est moins profond qu’à Winston-Salem. « Là-bas, j’avais poussé le bouchon trop loin, dit-il. En partie parce que je ne connaissais pas la nature exacte de la blessure. Depuis que je sais que le ménisque est fissuré, je me méfie. Je me suis arrêté à temps. C’est comme si mon genou m’avait envoyé un signal d’alerte avant que la douleur empire. »
Malgré les soins prodigués, il reste encore un peu de liquide dans le genou. Une donnée qui incite tout le monde à redoubler de vigilance. « On ne peut pas jouer avec sa santé, même si Roland-Garros approche à grands pas, explique son coach, Éric Winogradsky. De toute façon, Roland ou pas, il ne serait pas entré sur le terrain aujourd’hui. Le plus sage est de ne pas forcer sur l’articulation. Rien n’est plus important que son intégrité physique. Jo a vingt-trois ans. L’important est qu’il puisse jouer longtemps au tennis. »
Billard ou pas billard ?
Rentré hier en France par le vol de 17 heures, Tsonga passera aujourd’hui une IRM. Son résultat décidera de sa participation (ou de son forfait) à Roland-Garros. Hier soir, à Casablanca, la tendance n’était guère à l’optimisme. D’une part, en raison du délai qui sépare le Français de son premier tour : trois jours semblent bien justes pour récupérer à cent pour cent d’un aussi lourd handicap… D’autre part, à cause des leçons à tirer de sa semaine marocaine. Même en ramenant les doses d’entraînement au strict minimum et en disputant des matches courts et faciles, le genou ne tient pas la distance.« J’étais prévenu et je n’ai fait que du tennis et du vélo, souligne Tsonga. Je me suis interdit toute charge physique lourde pour éviter les traumatismes. Mais il faut croire que ça ne suffit pas. »
Se pose désormais la question de l’avenir immédiat. En continuant de la sorte, c’est-à-dire en mixant prudence absolue et compétition, le Français court inévitablement le risque d’une rechute, que ce soit à Roland-Garros, à Wimbledon ou ailleurs. Pour lui, l’heure est peut-être venue pour se résoudre à l’opération. Dans l’hypothèse où il devrait subir une arthroscopie, son absence du circuit pourrait s’échelonner entre deux (version ultra optimiste) et neuf mois (complications). Dur, dur… Mais son avenir de joueur est peut-être à ce prix.
VINCENT COGNET

Truc
05-24-2008, 08:12 AM
His knee had been better since he got a cortisone injection a few weeks ago. On Thursday morning, the knee looked a bit swollen, but he was able to play against Ventura. Brechbuhl put a lot of ice on his knee after his win. The knee swelled over the night. On Friday morning, it was really big and he was in pain.
Jo means it's not as bad as in Winston-Salem. He had forced too much in the US because he didn't know what was the problem at the time. Now he's cautious. He stopped in time. As if the knee had sent an alert.
Wino says again they won't jeopardize his health, though, even for RG.

He came back to France yesterday already and will have a MRI today to decide if he will be able to play. But they were not optimistic yesterday. Because he'll have only 3 days to recover. And also because his week in Casablanca has showed that even when they reduce the training to the minimum and he plays only short, easy matches, the knee doesn't hold up. Jo says he did only some tennis and cycling, he avoided any other intense physical activity to prevent traumatisms. But it looks like it isn't enough.
It also is a long-term issue now. If he keeps on like that, mixing extreme caution in training and only matches during tournaments, he exposes himself to a relapse. Maybe it's time for an OP. But it means he would be out of the tour for between 2 months (ultra optimistic scenario) and 9 months (at worst). Tough decision... But it might be the price he has to pay to save his future as a tennis player.

morgan305
05-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Vraiment pas de chance.... J'ose a peine imaginer la cariere qu'aurait pu avoir Jo sans toute ces blessures... A mon avis l'operation est inevitable... Le plus vite il le fera est le plus vite il nous reviendra...

SelvenluvJo
05-24-2008, 11:16 AM
The health is most important thing... I'm so sad .

martine2
05-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Bad news, but not totally unexpected :sad:

I so feel for him... always these f***ing injuries :sobbing:

IMO surgery will be the only long term solution. It will be hard to miss a couple of months again, but without the surgery he won't be able to go for it 100% and there always will be the risk it aggravates

Poor Jo :hug:

SelvenluvJo
05-24-2008, 11:20 AM
What's reason make his knee hurts ? Over weight?or other reasons?

Truc
05-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Here's what Montalvan (the doc of the French team) said in Winston-Salem:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=6854039&postcount=439
He says everything started probably with a sprain in Surbiton last year which was very, very painful (it is a bit strange because Jo kept playing the entire grass season and seemed fine). The knee had been hurting a little bit since then, but during a doubles match in Miami he made a bad move and everything got worse.

SelvenluvJo
05-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Thank you Truc . I hope he could be fine...:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

soulage
05-24-2008, 04:22 PM
It seems that's he'll withdraw. The officialisation should happen around 18:00

Tsonga forfait pour Roland-Garros
La rédaction - RMC.fr, le 24/05/2008
Son genou aura finalement eu raison de ses espoirs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga ne participera pas à Roland-Garros.
La nouvelle est lourde pour le clan français et pas encore officielle (officialisation à 18h lors d'un point presse). Jo-Wilfried Tsonga ne participera pas à Roland-Garros à partir de demain. Son épanchement au genou s'est réveillé après son quart de finale victorieux au tournoi de Casablanca. Une blessure qui va l'empêcher de disputer ses chances lors du tournoi du Grand Chelem sur la terre battue parisienne. Tsonga, malheureux depuis janvier, lui qui est poursuivi par les blessures depuis sa défaite en finale de l'Open d'Australie face à Novak Djokovic. Le Français sera opéré du ménisque mardi d'après le DTN Patrice Dominguez. Le prochain objectif de Tsonga ne sera pas Wimbledon mais l'US Open.

Apparently no Wimbledon neither

Truc
05-24-2008, 04:28 PM
He'll be operated on Tuesday. They just said it on TV.
:sad:

morgan305
05-24-2008, 04:42 PM
:sad:Pauvre Jo:crying2::hysteric:
Encore une blessure qui vat le stopper quelques mois:mad:
Courage jo et revient nous vite:sport:

SelvenluvJo
05-24-2008, 05:18 PM
I don't know what to say . God bless poor Jo . I'll wait for you .:)

MacArthur
05-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Okay Guys, that's it. At least, now we are fixed and when he will be back, it will be for good. :sad:

However, I don't think that the last month of tests and semi-competition was unworthy. He proved himself that he could be good on clay and he tried one solution to heal his knee, even if that didn't work.
And most of all, he seemed to enjoy to be on a court again (wich is a very good thing right after his little hole of decompression of the post-AO).

See you in full strenght at the USO, Jo :wavey:

martine2
05-24-2008, 07:50 PM
Horrible news :sad:

He's gone through this so many times before already, but I guess one never gets used to it.
But he proved before that he doesn't lose courage and always fights to get back.
I'm sure he'll get a lot of support of his family and Wino but it will be a difficult time again for him :awww:

Bon courage Jo :hug:

amdany
05-24-2008, 10:03 PM
:sobbing::sobbing:damn injury:banghead:, Jo:hug:

Alex.
05-25-2008, 01:28 AM
:crying2: Poor Jo. Always getting injured, it's just not fair to him. Good luck. :hug:

Michael_21
05-25-2008, 11:06 AM
not good news :( but ohh well i sence big things at wimbledon :) get better master jo

Truc
05-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Wimbledon? He'll be out for months.
He says in l'Equipe he's still hoping to be back in time for the Olympics, but it sounds very, very unlikely.

Here's the article in L'Equipe, somebody asked for it in private, but I can post it here too: Tsonga : rendez-vous à l’automne
Opéré après-demain du genou, le Français a déclaré forfait et devrait être absent environ quatre mois.
JO-WILFRIED TSONGA aura tout tenté pour disputer ce Roland-Garros qui lui tenait tant à coeur. Mais la fissure au ménisque aura été la plus forte. Inexorable, la décision de l’opération – la première de sa carrière – a été prise hier matin, puis annoncée dans une triste ambiance en fin de journée dans l’anonymat d’un hôtel parisien de la place Vendôme, si loin du central qu’il rêvait d’enflammer. « Oui, Roland Garros, c’est magique et y disputer des matches importants est la chose qui pourrait le plus me combler. J’avais des ambitions fortes pour jouer devant ce public français qui m’attendait vraiment. » Au lieu de ça, Tsonga sera mardi dans une clinique pour une arthroscopie visant à enlever le bout de ménisque douloureux. Le verdict est lourd : trois à quatre mois d’arrêt si tout se passe bien, un peu plus en cas de complication. Mais le Français, évidemment abattu face à cet énième coup du sort, n’avait pas de regret d’avoir tenté ce pari depuis que la douleur s’était manifestée avant d’affronter les États- Unis en Coupe Davis, en avril. « Il faut toujours tout faire pour éviter l’opération. J’avais subi une infiltration pour voir si mon genou pouvait tenir. Mais sitôt passés les effets de l’injection, la douleur a réapparu à Casablanca. » Placé donc devant la triste évidence, Tsonga évitait de ruminer exagérément sur ce corps qui le lâche bien souvent. « Bien sûr, je ressens beaucoup de frustration et de tristesse. Malheureusement, j’ai l’habitude d’être blessé. J’ai appris à vivre avec ça et ça me rendra plus fort. » En essayant d’être optimiste, il voulait hier se laisser une petite chance de disputer les Jeux Olympiques en août. Sur la même longueur d’onde, son coach, Éric Winogradsky, tentait de ne retenir que le positif du passé récent et de l’avenir à court terme. « Au moins, Jo aura pu se tester sur terre et voir qu’il y joue bien. En plus, j’ai la conviction que ses derniers excellents résultats sont le fruit de ces périodes de blessures où il est amené à réfléchir sur sa condition de joueur… » – F. Ra.It says the atmosphere was really sad in the hotel where he gave a presser Place Vendôme yesterday, so far from that Center Court he was dreaming of firing up.
"RG is magic, and playing big matches there would be the most fullfilling thing for me. I was hoping very hard to be able to play in front of the French crowd which was really waiting for me".
He'll need 3-4 months to recover from the surgery. But he doesn't have any regret about his clay season and having given it a try. "One always has to do everything possible to avoid a surgery. I got an injection to see if my knee would hold up. But as soon as the effect of the injection died down in Casablanca, the pain reappeared."
"Of course I feel a lot of frustration and sadness. But I'm used to be injured, unfortunately. I've learned to live with it and it will make me stronger."
He still wants to believe he might be ready in time for the Olympic Games.
Wino also tries to be as positive as possible: "At least Jo has been able to test himself on clay and saw he can play well on that surface. And I'm sure his excellent results lately are the consequence of all these injury breaks which force him to think about his situation as a tennis player."

Truc
05-25-2008, 11:20 AM
There also is a short video of his presser here:
http://roland-garros.france2.fr/index-fr.php?page=videos

He's watching the match of Ouanna at the moment. His reaction when Josselin asked for the trainer was so cute, he was facepalming.
But it's a heartbreak everytime they show him.

Turquoise
05-26-2008, 05:34 AM
I am totally gutted for Tsonga. :crying2: He was so looking forward to Roland Garros. It would have been an incredible joy just to see him trying to conquer clay, win or lose.

Good to hear that he's not expressing regrets about Cassablanca. I suppose it was something he had to do for himself, find out if he could adapt his game to the surface and indeed the results were encouraging. Hopefully, next year we'll see him finish what he started, this time on the grand stage at RG.

Tsonga, my thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time. I wish you a successful operation and speedy recovery. Looking forward to see you again, hopefully very soon. Bon courage. :hug:

MacArthur
09-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I bump this thread for the upcoming tournament of Bucarest where he has taken a wildcard. With a week of trainig, I think we can hope for something more, even maybe something good (:devil:). He has yet to win his first title on the main tour.

The draw is going to be quite interesting with Richard (who took a WC here too), almagro, gulbis, gillou, Paulo, Seppi or Moya.

Allez ma poule :cool:

Truc
09-02-2008, 07:50 AM
Why do you mention Gulbis before the 2nd seed? :p Are you a Gulbistard too?

But seriously, it's not sure at all Jo will play there. Le Parisien writes he will decide on Thursday. The goal is to be ready for Bercy and Wino says he needs 3 weeks of work to find back his rhythm ("Tsonga compte maintenant « beaucoup jouer » mais « sans faire n’importe quoi ». Selon son état de récupération, il décidera jeudi de participer ou non au tournoi de Bucarest. « J’aimerais bien être au top pour Bercy fin octobre, ça serait cool », disait-il dimanche après sa défaite. « Il lui faut trois semaines de boulot pour qu’il commence à retrouver un bon rythme », conclut Winogradsky.").
And L'Equipe already assumes he will skip Bucharest because when they talk about his schedule, they only mention Bangkok, Tokyo, Madrid, Lyon, Bercy.

MacArthur
09-02-2008, 02:27 PM
I feel indifferent to Gulbis :p

Yeah, I made the thread before reading the équipe article where Bucarest doesn't appear in his program. Well, I've got no peculiar problem with the asian tourneys anyway :devil:

(I just need to make another Hardcourt season thread :( )

Truc
09-04-2008, 05:03 PM
Now it seems he's in talk for a WC in Szczecin too, so I guess he will play Bucharest and play 2 events on clay.

SelvenluvJo
09-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Clay:unsure::scared::scared::scared:

Truc
09-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Now people say on his website he's not going to play Bucharest and will rather get ready for the Asian tourney (I guess he will not play Szczecin either then). :shrug:
They're already promoting him big time in Szczecin:
http://www.pekaoopen.pl/2008/

We'll see tomorrow if he's in the draw!