I Love Tsonga
05-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Turquoise

Thank You

MacArthur
06-01-2009, 09:55 AM
An article coming from his official website :

« Del Potro, the ultimate test »
An easy winner over Christophe Rochus, Jo-Wilfried will face Argentina’s Juan Martin Del Potro, the fifth play

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

« I have played very well. I did what I had to do in order to move in the competition. On clay it is never easy and there is always the possibility for your opponent to regain his confidence and play better. Yesterday, Christophe did not have such rise of confidence. I am now starting to enjoy every moments of it and I sometimes felt to stay a bit longer the crowd was yelling and screaming. It was awesome. Against Del Potro, it will be another affair. It will be the ultimate test. If I manage to beat Juan Martin, I can beat anyone on this surface. »

Keijan
06-04-2009, 07:52 PM
Optimum June 2009 (anyone bought it ? I don't know where you find that :lol:)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Keijan/Keijan%203/RIMG1003.jpg

Excerpts from wlt (they didn't put the whole thing)

Les médias se sont jetés sur vous. Notamment Canal+ qui produit une série documentaire intitulée « Les 4 Mousquetaires »...
Ça, c’est bien. Le fait d’être plus exposés, ça ne fait qu’aider le tennis. Les gens en parlent – en bien ou pas – et c’est une bonne chose. Le documentaire est sympa. Les gens découvrent l’envers du décor.

Y a-t-il déjà une scène mythique ?
Dans le premier épisode, j’ai hurlé de rire en voyant Richard Gasquet après son match marathon à l’Open d’Australie face à Fernando Gonzalez [défaite en cinq sets après avoir obtenu une balle de match, NDLR]. On le voit à sa conférence de presse où il raconte des banalités, du genre: « Il a super bien joué, je ne passe pas loin, etc. » Et puis, la caméra le suit dans la voiture qui le ramène à l’hôtel et là, Ritchie se lâche : « Le mec, il a eu une de ces chances. Si sa copine n’est pas à Melbourne, il doit être cocu ! » On voit bien le contraste. On est humains quoi !

Noah qui fait chavirer la France, c’était en 1983. Cette attente, vous la ressentez ?
Je vois surtout que le tennis reprend des couleurs depuis quelques mois. Les jeunes ont des joueurs préférés en France. Il y en a qui vont aimer Gaël, Gilles, Richard ou moi. Ils vont acheter des tenues ou des raquettes différentes. C’est une ambiance qui s’était perdue. Il n’y avait presque plus de joueurs dans le Top 50 et les jeunes Français s’intéressaient aux étrangers.

En fait, vous jouez un peu la comédie...
Bah oui, sur le terrain, on n’a le droit de rien faire. On doit fermer sa bouche, ne pas baisser son short. Pourtant, quand vous ratez une balle, vous n’avez qu’une envie, c’est de hurler : « Ça me fait ch... ». [Il explose de rire.]

Ces quatre mousquetaires, ils ont tous une personnalité différente. Vous pourriez les résumer en un mot ?
[Il réfléchit longuement.] Non, je ne pourrais pas, je ne saurais pas choisir un mot. Ce que je peux dire, c’est qu’on n’a pas la même éducation. On n’est pas issus des mêmes endroits. Richard Gasquet, c’est le Sudiste, Gaël Monfils vient des tours de Paris et Gilles Simon a vécu dans les quartiers corrects de Fontenay-sous-Bois. On a chacun des valeurs différentes.

On vous sent l’âme d’un chef de meute...
Je sais que je peux l’être. Maintenant, ce n’est pas à moi de décider si je suis le chef. Il faut que les autres acceptent de me désigner comme tel ou alors ce sont les résultats qui parleront.

I don't have the time to translate but I like what he says about Richie and the Gonzo match :lol:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a349/Keijan/Keijan%203/3.jpg

Cloudygirl
06-18-2009, 08:29 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/wimbledon/5533163/Wimbledon-2009-Jo-Wilfried-Tsonga-wants-headlines-for-the-right-reasons.html

I don't normally post in here but I came across an article about Jo in the telegraph this week.

"I also like London and the people. I love the traditions of playing in white clothes, eating strawberries and cream and sipping on a cup of tea at 5pm every day."

This amused me, but then I'm a coffee gal.

Keijan
06-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks Tori :)

Tsonga has been receiving racist hate mail. "I get some letters from a lot of people. Sometimes it's nice, with letters from kids or from parents of kids who want to be tennis players, but I also get racist letters," Tsonga told Telegraph Sport. "It's really painful to receive something like that because you're not ready for that. You think to yourself, 'That's really bad'. But I realise that there are people like that."

:mad::fiery::smash:

I can't believe those people still exist... I'm not sure if there is something more despisable than hating or judging someone over the colour of his skin. Get a life instead of writing stupid letters...

Turquoise
06-19-2009, 04:52 AM
Unfortunately, there will always be ignorant, racist people who cannot look beyond a person's skin colour. Their hate mail belongs in the trash and not worthy of any consideration.

Jo is human and is obviously affected by such disgusting behaviour, but he's learned to look beyond that and see the many others like us who appreciate him based on merit, what he's achieved and what he is as a person. Be strong, Jo and we will lift you up through your trials and tribulations.

MsTree
06-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Jo's getting a fair few articles about him in the English papers... not sure if there's anything new here but here it is anyway :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-1193976/Tsonga-aiming-muscle-big-boys-SW19.html

Tsonga aiming to muscle in with the big boys down at SW19

By Alex Kay Last updated at 4:50 PM on 18th June 2009

At 6ft 2in, packed full of muscle and with a mighty serve, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is just the type of player you would have expected to have made a mark at Wimbledon by now.

The world No 9 from France has all the attributes for a great fortnight at the All England Club but, until this year, he has not really been in a position to mount a sneaky challenge for the title.

Next week will only be 24-year-old Tsonga's second appearance at Wimbledon, as the 2008 Australian Open runner-up broke into the top of the game late on and was then ruled out of appearing at SW19 last year through injury.

Tsonga's only appearance at Wimbledon came in 2007 when, as a wildcard ranked 112 in the world, he rocketed his way through to the fourth round.
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Gunning for glory: Powerhouse Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

What has happened since then is predictable to those who watched him as an outstanding junior. Beating Andy Murray on the way, Tsonga reached the Australian Open final a year later from under the radar, eventually losing to Novak Djokovic.

He has since gone on to win four tour titles and is excited about the first Wimbledon he'll playing as an established top 10 player.

'Yeah, I am excited. My first one was two years ago but this is my first as a top player,' he said. 'Two years ago I did well, I lost in the fourth round, so I know what to expect.

'For grass, you have to stay on your baseline more. It's not good if you go further back and you have to get into the net. I think it suits my game to be offensive, so it's natural.'
Tsonga

Confident: Tsonga

Tsonga has impressed on his return from injury this year and reached the last 16 at the French Open, going out to eventual semi-finalist Juan Martin Del Potro.

That was no mean achievement, seeing as he was only one of two Frenchmen to make the last 16 as the home players once again struggled in front of the demanding Parisian crowd.

But Tsonga think that complaints by players about the pressures of playing in front of your home crowd are nonsense, saying that he finds it easy to block out criticism.

'I think it's the same everywhere. You go on the court and you try to do your best – that's it,' he said. 'In France or anywhere else. The only person who can judge me is me, that's it.

'After a match, if I lose and I go stand in front of the mirror, I tell myself if I did a great job or not. When you lose it's tough because sometimes you lose when you play well.

'That's sport. If I lose and I played okay, that's no problem because I played well, I played my best tennis and the guy opposite me was better than me. Then sometimes I lose and I don't play well, I say '"okay, I'll work and do everything to do better next time".'

'Rafael Nadal's the champion but Roger Federer's won five times, he won the French this year and I think he's very confident. It's going to be tough to beat him this year. I think the French were happy to see Federer win the tournament in Paris because he lost three times in the final. Him winning was a good thing for everybody – for tennis, for the tournament, for history.'

And what of the British contender? Tsonga is certain that Murray has it in him to win and he should know, having played with him plenty of times on the junior circuit growing up.
Andy Murray

Main man: Andy Murray triumphed at Queen's last week

'Andy's playing well everywhere but he's better on quick surfaces than on a clay court,' he added. 'I think he's really dangerous on grass. I played with him a lot on grass when we were younger and he was very, very good.

'The best way for me to beat the top guys is to have a very good day. When I go on court, I don't have specific tactics – I just want to play my best tennis. If I do, I can beat everybody. Like I said, I'm very attacking and I go for everything. If I send down three aces per game, it's difficult for the other guy. So it's all about me.'

What would be a successful tournament for him then?

'If I get to the semis, it's a good result for me. But if I get to the semis, I'll want to be in the final and to win it.'

Confident talk from Tsonga and the sort that will surely make him a Grand Slam champion eventually. This Wimbledon might come a bit soon for him but don't be surprised if he ruffles a few feathers.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga was talking at the Boodles Challenge at Stoke Park. For more information, go to www.theboodles.com

Bashak
06-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Awful news about the racist hate mail... I mean it's one thing to shout racist remarks in a football match which happens on occasion in europe but a totally different thing to actually sit down and take time to write a racist letter and mail it. What kind of satisfaction these people get is beyond my comprehension. I guess some people are just stupid enough to bother to do something like that. They should be ignored.

Little french article in L'équipe:

http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2009/20090621_175100_la-campagne-de-tsonga.html

reggie1
06-21-2009, 09:41 PM
I quite agree, what goes through these people's minds to actually sit down and write this sort of rubbish. I applaud Jo for standing up and being counted and saying he has to deal with crap like this. He shouldn't have to. Anyway, we all love you Jo and don't worry about mindless racist thugs like that.

MacArthur
06-22-2009, 09:36 PM
An interview from Jo after his first match :

Golubev est un joueur talentueux donc je n'ai pas été surpris.Quand il est en confiance, il est très dangereux et il l'a prouvé aujourd'hui. Cela a été dur mais je suis content de m'en être sorti.
La différence ne s'est pas faite sur le niveau de jeu mais plutôt sur l'experience de ce type de situation. C'est toujours plus agréable de gagner un match comme cela après une vraie bataille mais je vais vite me concentrer sur le prochain tour. Je suis surpris de faire deux services volées, et une dizaine de points au filet, c'est étrange. J'ai envie de dire que les qualités qui faisaient de moi un bon joueur de gazon comme on l'entendait par le passé n'existent plus. Il va donc y avoir des joueurs qui vont réaliser des bonnes performances ici cette année et qui j'en suis sur ne l'auraient pas fait par le passé, ou plus exactement il y a quelques années"

Keijan
06-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Audio interview (french only)
http://www.fft.fr/wimbledon/2009/?id=5026

MacArthur
06-22-2009, 09:45 PM
A brief translation :

Golubev is a very good player, so I wasn't surprised by his level. When he is confident, he is really dangerous and proved it today. It was tough and I am glad to be still in course today.

I made the difference more on my experience of that kind of situtation than by our level of play. It's always good to win that kind of match, after that kind of fight, but now I am going to have to focus fast on my next round. I am surprised to have only made two serve and volley and a tenfold of net points, it's strange. I want to say that the qualities that made me a good grass court player by the past are gone by now. There are going to be more and more players this year who are going to make a good run here, who wouldn't have done so well a few years back.

I am so agreeing with him. they are slowing so much the grass that it doesn't make anymore sense to play on it.

Baseline Lob
06-24-2009, 11:24 AM
thanks for translation

MacArthur
06-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I thought this interview was lol, so I share it with you, my fellow jojotards :) :

Q. Today was a walkover. What do you think? Are you shocked or were you prepared for it?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No, I'm sad for him because he's maybe injured. I don't know what he had for the moment. But I'm happy to be at the third round. That's it.

Q. Does that shake your plans for Wimbledon?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I think anyway it's good for me because I played a long match for the first round, and now I don't play for the second, so I will be ready for the third.

Q. Do you know that in Congo‑Kinshasa they are rooting for you? Are you aware?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, I know, of course.

Q. Have you been back since the last time you went to the Congo?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No.

Q. Any plans to go back?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Not for the moment, but yeah, I will go there for sure.

Q. What does Wimbledon mean to you?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Wimbledon means a Grand Slam tournament, a tournament with a lot of history.

Q. What do you think of the significance of Federer for you? What's so special about Federer for you?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Maybe how he's relaxed on the court.

Q. You are from a family of sportsmen.

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, only my father, because my mother did nothing.

Q. And your brother?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: And my brother plays but my sister nothing.

Q. And your cousin is a sports person in New Castle?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No, and I'm not originally from Congo‑Kinshasa. I'm from the other side of the river.

Q. So how did you get into sports, your family push you or you like to play?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No, it was just natural. When I was a kid I was all the time outside of the house, and that's it.

Q. Is your family here with you now?

JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: My brother.

Blame the poor journalist :lol:

Bashak
06-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Q. You are from a family of sportsmen.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, only my father, because my mother did nothing.
Q. And your brother?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: And my brother plays but my sister nothing.
:haha: this made me chuckle.

Cloudygirl
06-24-2009, 11:16 PM

well this made me chuckle stupidest question ever.

Truc
06-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Indeed!

Just came across this:
Robin Soderling Answers Your Questions From Wimbledon
(...)
- Who are, in your opinion, the funniest players?
- Tsonga is a pretty funny guy.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2009/06/Wimbledon-Soderling-QA-Answers.aspx

lilibel13
07-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Found on pure people website

Dans les pages de la nouvelle édition française du magazine Playboy, en kiosque aujourd'hui, le champion - véritable sosie du grand Mohamed Ali -, a accordé une longue interview dans laquelle il revient sur sa passion, ses envies et ses amours. Extraits.

"Ce qui m'a donné sans doute envie de faire ce que je fais aujourd'hui, c'est Arnaud Boetsch. Je l'ai découvert lors de la finale de la Coupe Davis, en 1996, à Malmö en Suède. J'avais onze ans et j'étais scotché devant la télé de mes parents, au Mans. Il a apporté le point décisif à la France pour gagner la Coupe Davis. Ça m'a procuré une émotion si forte que j'ai eu envie de vivre de tels moments".

Son ambition pour cette année ? "Mon objectif principal est de faire partie des cinq premiers mondiaux à l'issue de la saison. Pour cela, il faut bien jouer, gagner des tournois et être frais physiquement tout au long de la saison. Je vais donc plébisciter ma préparation et bien étudier mon programme pour ne pas trop jouer".

Comme tous les jeunes sportifs contemporains, il a souvent des écouteurs plantés dans les oreilles. Concernant ses goûts musicaux : "J'ai des goûts très éclectiques, donc isoler un genre n'est pas simple. En ce moment, dans mon MP3, on retrouve "Liberta" de Peps, "Sye Bwa" de Kassav, Kerry James, Justice, un peu de classique et du reggae. J'adore danser mais je ne suis pas très friand des boîtes de nuits car il y a vraiment trop de monde sur le dancefloor !"

Enfin, quant à sa vie privée : "J'adore les femmes, je les respecte et les trouve très courageuses. La simplicité, c'est ce que je préfère chez une femme. Le charme passe au-dessus de la plastique. Je suis encore un coeur à prendre, alors avis aux charmantes âmes célibataires ! Je n'ai heureusement jamais connu le cas d'une fan envahissante et franchement, j'espère ne jamais l'avoir... Je suis un hypra-dragueur romantique !"

Adam Ikx

Little translation, he tells it's Arnaud boetch who gives to him the passion of tennis at 11.
He wanted to be in the top 5
He is single , loves women especially simple women cause he is a romantic boy, and this ITW was gived at the ..french playboy!!!!!lool

Keijan
07-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Quote:

well this made me chuckle stupidest question ever.

I'm so very late, but :rolls::rolls::rolls: I hadn't even noticed it before you quoted it :haha: and :hatoff: to Jo-Willy for keeping it short and not laughing in the face of the stupid journalist.

Thanks for the excerpt :) who is in to go through the humiliation of buying the next Playboy now ? :lol:

"Thankfully I never had to deal with an excessively intrusive fangirl"
That's because I didn't make my move yet :devil:

lilibel13
07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
yes that the question i was thinking about the shop of the playboy..lol but i think we can find it on the web...but we must search....

Keijan
08-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Interview of Jo in l'équipe of this morning... he rested well, he lost weight, he attended his sister wedding last saturday and he's hungry of tennis ;)

WASHINGTON (ATP 500, dur)

« Chatouiller le top 5 »

JO-WILFRIED TSONGA attaque aujourd’hui sa tournée américaine avec des kilos en moins et l’ambition de franchir un nouveau cap.

La dernière fois qu’on l’a vu sur un court, il y a cinq semaines, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga s’était fait assommer à coups d’aces par l’ogre Karlovic, au troisième tour de Wimbledon (7-6, 6-7, 7-5, 7-6). Depuis, le numéro 1 français (no 7 mondial) s’est reposé quinze jours en Suisse, a ensuite progressivement repris l’entraînement et la raquette, a marié sa sœur samedi dernier au Mans – « Tout s’est bien passé, elle a dit oui » – et il a atterri à Washington dimanche soir. Il attaquera son tournoi aujourd’hui contre le géant américain Isner, un autre grand serveur, pour faire la transition après Karlovic. Pour la première fois de sa carrière, il dispute une vraie tournée estivale américaine avec ensuite les deux Masters Series à Montréal et à Cincinnati, puis l’US Open pour finir (31 août-13 septembre). Avec sa nouvelle raquette et son « nouveau » corps, puisqu’il arrive allégé. Et déterminé à augmenter aux États-Unis ses chances de qualification pour le Masters.

WASHINGTON –

de notre envoyé spécial

« CONTENT D’ÊTRE à Washington et de lancer le grand mois américain ?

– En roulant de l’aéroport vers l’hôtel, je me disais que c’était bon d’arriver en tournoi, plein d’appétit après une bonne pause.

– Une pause qui était peut-être intervenue un poil trop tôt, dès le troisième tour d’un tournoi de Wimbledon où l’on aurait pu vous imaginer traverser le tableau…

– Contre Karlovic, c’est sûr, ç’a été une défaite assez décevante, j’aurais pu mieux faire… Mais en même temps je relativise car je me sens dans une phase de transition, avec ma nouvelle raquette (1), que j’utilisais pour la première fois sur surface rapide à ce moment-là.

– Parlons-en, de cette raquette. À la base, elle n’était censée vous accompagner que pour la saison de terre battue, mais finalement vous ne vous en séparez plus ?

– En fait, elle m’a apporté tellement sur terre que je me suis dit : « Pourquoi ne pas l’utiliser partout ? » Ensuite, je n’ai pas voulu me prendre la tête en rechangeant. Je ne suis pas du tout pointilleux sur le plan technologique, le cordage, tout ça. Une fois que j’ai choisi de garder cette raquette, je ne me suis jamais dit que j’allais revenir en arrière.

– Mais si ce nouveau cadre était censé vous apporter un plus sur terre, ne vous retire- t-il pas quelque chose sur surface rapide ?

– En fait, il n’y a pas que des avantages mais, au final, je suis content. Et, encore une fois, je ne me pose plus la question. Je joue avec, point. Je suis donc encore en phase de transition dans ce domaine, puisque ça va être mon premier tournoi sur dur avec, mais ça n’est pas le seul. La transition, au-delà de la raquette, c’est mon physique.

« Aller chercher

ma qualification

pour le Masters »

– C’est-à-dire ?

– Je suis en train d’essayer de perdre du poids, mais de le perdre intelligemment. Pas faire deux mois de suite où je perds beaucoup pour le reprendre dès que j’arrête de faire attention. Là, j’ai envie de descendre progressivement, ce que je fais depuis le début de l’année. Mon métabolisme change et c’est bien.

– Êtes-vous entré dans une phase d’analyses biologiques pour déterminer votre poids de forme idéal ?

– Il n’y a pas eu d’analyses particulières, c’est juste au feeling. Là, je suis au poids que je fais habituellement à la fin d’une tournée, donc je devrais encore faire baisser ça cet été.

– Et aujourd’hui vous pesez ?…

– Je préfère garder ça pour moi. (Sourire.)

– Mais vous êtes nettement en dessous du poids officiel stipulé sur votre fiche ATP (91 kg pour 1,88 m) ?

– Oui, voilà…

– Quand vous parlez de transition, est-ce que vous englobez aussi votre statut sur le circuit ?

– Pas vraiment, dans la mesure où je suis installé depuis un petit moment dans le top 10 et que je me sens top 10. Maintenant, le but du jeu, bien sûr, c’est de progresser encore pour aller chatouiller le top 5. Mais le classement en lui-même n’est pas une obsession. Par exemple, je viens de redevenir septième mais c’est quelqu’un qui me l’a appris par texto. Ça ne change pas ma journée, d’être huitième ou septième joueur mondial. Tant que t’es pas no 1, 2 ou 3, ça ne change pas trop…

– Il y a un an tout juste, vous étiez blessé. Vous n’avez donc pas de points à défendre avant l’US Open…

– J’ai justement l’occasion de pouvoir m’installer définitivement dans le top 10, d’aller chercher ma qualification au Masters pendant ce mois d’août. Le but du jeu est d’engranger des points là, parce que je n’en ai jamais pris (2). Tout ce que je vais prendre va être du bonus. Si je joue bien aux États-Unis cet été, je peux y aller…

– Vous suivez de près la course au Masters ? Vous connaissez votre position actuelle ?

– Je dois être dans les vingt premiers, non ?

– Vous êtes quatorzième, à 500 points (ce que rapporte le titre à Washington) du huitième et dernier qualifié virtuel, Robin Söderling…

– C’est ce que je dis, si je joue bien dans cette tournée, je vais me rapprocher.

– Autre raison d’espérer franchir un cap : vous ne vous blessez plus !

– C’est vrai que ça fait près d’un an qu’aucune blessure ne m’empêche de jouer. D’ailleurs, c’est aussi pour ça que je me suis bien reposé ces dernières semaines. J’ai bien fait le vide parce qu’à force de ne pas me blesser j’enchaîne comme jamais j’avais enchaîné. Et je sens que je planifie à bon escient. Chaque fois que j’ai décidé d’un programme, je ne l’ai pas payé derrière. Et là, je reprends de zéro, plein d’envie quoi. »

JULIEN REBOULLET

(1) Raquette au tamis un peu plus grand, au profilage plus large, aux cordes plus espacées, qu’il a commencé à utiliser quinze jours avant Roland-Garros et qui est censée lui apporter plus de puissance, plus d’effet et plus de longueur de balle, aux dépens du contrôle.

(2) Dans sa carrière pro, Tsonga n’a presque jamais joué au mois d’août, période où il était souvent blessé.

duong
08-05-2009, 10:05 AM
The main news are that Jo confirms he keeps his racket from Roland-Garros, and that he has changed his diet from the beginning of the year to become lighter : he says it's effective and his metabolism has changed and now he has the weight he usually had in the end of a tourney : he should be even lighter in the end.

He says he has been in a transition period in the recent months because of that.

He is also happy that he has not been injured for nearly one year (he has never played in August in his whole carreer :eek: )

SelvenluvJo
08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
duong thank you

DanaKz
08-05-2009, 01:51 PM
Thank you soooo much!

Turquoise
08-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Thanks Keijan for the informative article. I like the fact that he's making a concerted effort to reduce his weight, improve his physical conditioning, and his ambitions about cracking the top 5 and qualifying for the World Tour Finals. Sorry he had a disappointing result in Washington, but his attitude is very positive and I hope he has a great American season; as he said, every point is a bonus.

For the non-French speakers, here's my translation attempt - others, please feel free to correct errors, thanks.

WASHINGTON (ATP 500, hard)

Tantalising the top 5

JO-WILFRIED TSONGA kick-starts his American tournament with less kilos and the ambition to reach a new milestone.

When we last saw him on court five weeks ago, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga was assaulted by ace bullets by the ogre Karlovic in the third round of Wimbledon (7-6, 6-7, 7-5, 7-6). Since then, the French number 1 (World number 7) recuperated for fifteen days in Switzerland, then progressively took up his racquet and resumed training, had his sister married last Saturday in Mans – “Everything went well, she said yes” – and he landed in Washington last Sunday night. He will start his tournament (today) against the giant American Isner, another huge server, to make the transition since Karlovic. For the first time in his career, he competes in a real summer American tournament followed by the two Masters Series in Montreal and Cincinnati, then the US Open to cap it up (31 August – 13 September). With his new racquet and his “new” body, for he arrives much lighter. And, he’s determined to increase his chances in the United States of qualifying for the Masters (World Tour Finals).

WASHINGTON –

From our special correspondent

Q: Happy to be in Washington and to start the great American month?

Jo: Whilst driving from the airport to the hotel, I told myself that it’s good to arrive at a tournament, full of appetite (hunger) after a good break.

Q: A break which perhaps started a little too early since the third round of Wimbledon where we had hopes of you making a breakthrough…

Jo: Against Karlovic, it’s hard, that was quite a disappointing defeat, I could have done better… But, at the same time, I put it in perspective for I feel I’m in a transition phase, with my new raquette (1) that I’m using for the first time on fast surface.

Q: Tell us about this racquet. It was originally meant to accompany you in the clay season, but in the end you’ve decided not to part ways?

Jo: Actually, it did me so much good on clay that I told myself: “Why not use it on all courts?” Then, I did not want to bother myself about rechanging. I’m not too particular about the technological aspect, the stringing, all of that. Once I decided to stick to this racquet, I never looked back.

Q: But if this new frame is supposed to bring more benefit on clay, would you not change something on fast surface?

Jo: Actually, it has so many advantages that I’m happy with it. And, once again, I have nothing more to ask. I play with it, period. I am still in a transition phase in this aspect, as it’s my first tournament on hard with this racquet, but it’s not the only thing. The transition, apart from the racquet, is my physical condition.

Q: “Going for the Masters’ qualification” – what does this mean?

Jo: I am trying to lose some weight, but doing so intelligently. Not lose a lot quickly in two months only to put it all back on when I stop paying attention. I want to lose weight progressively, which I have been doing since the start of this year. My metabolism has changed, and that’s good.

Q: Have you entered a phase of biological analysis to determine your ideal weight?

Jo: There have been no specific analyses, it’s simply the “feeling”. Now, I’m at my normal end-of-tournament weight, I should reduce it some more this summer.

Q: And what is your current weight?...

Jo: I prefer to keep that to myself. (smiles)

Q: But you are clearly below the official weight stipulated on your ATP profile (91 kg for 1,88m)?

Jo: Yes, indeed…

Q: When you refer to transition, does that also encompass your status on the circuit?

Jo: Not really, in the sense that I have for a while been installed in the top 10 and I feel top 10. Now of course, the goal of the game, is to progress even more to go tantalise the top 5. But, the ranking per se is not an obssession. For example, I have just regained seventh but it’s more by someone else’s default. It does not affect my day, being eighth or seventh in the world. As long as you’re not number 1, 2 or 3, it does not change much…

Q: Exactly one year ago, you were injured. You therefore have no points to defend before the US Open…

Jo: Precisely, I have the opportunity to cement my position in the top 10, go seek my qualification in the Masters during this month of August. The goal is to accumulate points here, because I have never done so before (2). Everything I collect is a bonus. If I play well in the United States this summer, I can get there…

Q: Are you following closely the race to the Masters? Do you know your actual position?

Jo: I should be in the top twenty, no?

Q: You are fourteenth, with 500 points (which is the same number of points for the Washington title) from the eighth and virtual qualifier, Robin Söderling…

Jo: As I said, if I play well in this tournament, I can get closer.

Q: Another reason to reach a milestone: you are no longer injured!

Jo: It’s true that it’s almost a year that I have not been hampered by injury. For that matter, that’s why I’ve been well-rested these past few weeks. I’ve had to clear my mind because in order to avoid injuring myself, I restrain myself as I’ve never restrained myself before (NB: not sure if the context is correct). And I feel that I plan more wisely. Every time I’ve set on a programme, I’ve not been badly set back. And now, I start from zero, with a lot of desire.

JULIEN REBOULLET

(1) Racquet with larger sieve, larger frame, strings more spaced-out, that he started to use fifteen days before Roland-Garros and which purportedly gives him more power, more effect and more depth of the ball, at the expense of control.

(2) In his pro career, Tsonga has virtually never played in the month of August, the period in which he was often injured.

MacArthur
08-20-2009, 03:18 PM
The smacking from Wino has come after the Guccione's match :

L'entraîneur de Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, Eric Winogradsky, était déçu du comportement de son joueur lors de la défaite de celui-ci contre Chris Guccione au deuxième tour du Masters 1000 de Cincinnati, 7-6(12), 6-2.

"C'est pitoyable. Jo a eu un comportement de junior. Il était beaucoup trop négatif, il y avait beaucoup trop de lamentations." Après avoir manqué cinq balles de set dans le jeu décisif, le numéro 7 mondial a clairement lâché dans la tête, au point de finir le match résigné "Je suis très étonné parce que c'est la première fois que je le vois lâcher comme ça. J'espérais qu'il se servirait de son match à Wimbledon (contre Karlovic) pour rectifier le tir. Mais c'était pire."

Quid d'un problème technique pour le Français face aux bombardiers? Wino refuse cette éventualité. "Ça ne peut pas être un problème de cet ordre par rapport aux grands serveurs dans la mesure où il a eu plein d'occasions. Il sait ce qu'il doit faire pour les concrétiser. Mais ça passe par un autre comportement, une autre attitude."

En conférence de presse, Tsonga gardait la tête sur les épaules. "Sur ce match, c'est vrai, j'ai un certain manque d'humilité." Battu à Wimbledon par Karlovic, à Washington par Isner, à Cincinnati par Guccione, le Manceau souffre contre les gros serveurs, mais ne souhaite qu'une seule chose. "A l'US Open, j'espère jouer contre un de ces trois-là au premier tour." Pour une douce revanche?

In short : it's a problem of attitude. Jo was like a junior in this match. He swears he wants to draw one of them (Isner, karlovic and Guccione) at the first round of the USO.
I am not sure to want the same thing :o .

SelvenluvJo
08-20-2009, 03:40 PM
MacArthur me too.He gets back to junior match,what's wrong with him?

SelvenluvJo
08-20-2009, 03:47 PM
but I believe that if the problem of attitude doesn't solve ,I don't care who will be his first opponent in the USO. Because the result is all the same, that is lose.

reggie1
08-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Blimey, Eric doesn't hold back does he? :lol: I bet Jo got a real ear bashing after that match!

Bashak
08-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks guys for the articles and translations. Be careful what you wish for Jo! I think it's best if he avoids dangerous servers in the first 2 rounds so that he guarantees some grand slam ranking points.

MacArthur
09-02-2009, 12:38 AM
A little interview of Jo after his first match :

«Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, comment avez-vous abordé ce match ?
J'étais pressé de commencer. C'est fait. J'ai eu un premier match assez facile qui m'a permis de frapper pas mal de balles, de courir et d'installer mon jeu. Face à ce genre de joueur, on ne sait jamais ce qui va se passer sur le terrain. Je ne le connaissais pas. Quand j'avais son classement, j'étais capable de battre n'importe qui, à n'importe quel moment dans ma tête. Je m'attends à ce que le gars soit vraiment très bon. En général, c'est comme cela qu'on aborde ce genre de match.

Aviez-vous des informations sur lui ?
Je n'avais aucune info. On m'avait dit : il a un bon coup droit et il sert bien. Dans ce cas-là, on dit merci (rires). Avant ce genre de match, c'est difficile parce qu'on me dit qu'il a un bon coup droit et un bon service et finalement, pas tant que ça (rires).

Est-ce un match idéal pour faire des réglages ?
Oui. J'ai fait des réglages, j'avais envie de me rassurer du fond du court, courir, me dépenser. Il faut pouvoir se libérer dans les frappes du fond de court. Ces derniers temps, il me manquait un peu de réussir à tenir la balle dans le terrain. Sur ce match, je me suis attaché à tenir la balle sans faire forcément un coup gagnant en deux ou trois frappes. J'ai voulu l'user, frapper des balles. Quand je commence à mettre la balle dans le court, cela me donne confiance et j'ai l'impression que je ne vais pas trop rater quand je vais accélérer.

Quels sont les petits réglages spécifiques que vous avez effectués ?
Sur les passings, surtout en revers, je me suis un peu rassuré. J'ai aussi réglé ma position de retour. J'ai travaillé sur ces choses-là ces derniers temps.

Que pensez-vous de votre prochain adversaire, Jarkko Nieminen ?
C'est un joueur qui me pose pas mal de problèmes à chaque fois. Il est gaucher, il ne décolle pas trop de sa ligne, il possède une bonne main et il casse un peu le jeu. Cela va être difficile. Il revient de blessure, je vais donc essayer de lui imposer un gros rythme.»

In brief, it was an easy match which gives him the opportunity to set his game. He also talk about being more patient in the rally to miss less on the big shots and about setting his position on the return of serve. He knows Nieminen well and plans to put a lot of pressure on him. He wants to dictate the game against him.

Good luck Jo !

Keijan
09-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Itw in english from the website :

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/interviews/2009-09-01/200909011251829489406.html

J. TSONGA/C. Buchanan

6 0, 6 2, 6 1

An interview with: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Are you sort of looking at this tournament sort of as an opportunity for you to take perhaps the next step in your career? You've established yourself obviously as one of the top 10 players, and perhaps this is going to be an opportunity to get even further than that.
JO-WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, of course. Every Grand Slam you are you know, I'm here to win, you know, and to go to the next step.
The next step for me is to be in the five best players in the world, so yeah.

Q. How did you feel about the way you played today? Just seemed like everything was working for you.
JO-WILFRIED TSONGA: It was all right. I hit some balls and I run a lot, and it's good for me to start in this tournament.

Q. How important is it to get out there and get off to a start like you did today?
JO-WILFRIED TSONGA: It's good, because you don't leave a lot of energy on the court. But I played well, and it was good.

Q. Going forward, you're either going to play Fognini or Nieminen. Do you have a history against those guys? If so, how do you match up?
JO-WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, I know both. Both good players. Nieminen come back after injury. Fognini is not really in good shape at this moment, but I know it's going to be a tough match because it's a Grand Slam and everybody want to win.

Q. Nieminen won.
JO-WILFRIED TSONGA: Nieminen then? So it will be Nieminen than. So yeah, I know it's going to be difficult, because he's going to be very hungry. It's going to be tough.

Q. You said you're here to win. Do you have a real belief that that's a legitimate thing that you can accomplish at this US Open?
JO-WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, of course. I'm in good shape and I play well, so why not?

Turquoise
09-03-2009, 12:10 PM
A more elaborate translation of the interview in French above, thanks to MacArthur:

About his first round match, it was quite easy and gave him the opportunity to hit a lot of balls, to run, to establish his game. Against this kind of player, one never knows what’s going to happen on court. He had to prepare himself mentally for the eventuality of his opponent being better than expected.

Asked whether he had any prior knowledge of Buchanan’s game, he admitted that he knew nothing. All they told him was that his opponent had a good forehand and he served well. To which he could but simply reply: Thank you! Before the match, it was difficult to anticipate how good the forehand and serve of his opponent was going to be, but it turned out that they weren’t that good after all (humour).

He said that he had made some adjustments to his game – at the baseline, on the run, use of energy. He admitted that recently, he was not keeping the ball on the court well enough. In the match against Buchanan, he endeavoured to keep the ball longer in play, be more patient in the rallies without necessarily going for winners in two or three shots. Once he has the ball in play, he has more confidence about going more for his shots.

What are the little adjustments he has made? On the passing shots, especially on the backand side, he feels more confident. He’s also adjusted his position on the return on serve. He’s been working on these lately.

On his next opponent, Jarkko Nieminen: He thinks he’s a tricky opponent from past experience. He’s a lefty, does not stray much from the baseline, he has good hands and he can change the rhythm of the game. He’s back from injury, hence Jo will try to impose a lot of pressure on him, dictate play.

SelvenluvJo
09-03-2009, 01:38 PM
thanks Turquoise:)

MacArthur
09-03-2009, 03:39 PM
You are such a sweetie, Turquoise :worship:

Thanks alot for your work again.

Turquoise
09-04-2009, 05:05 AM
You're welcome, MacArthur & SelvenluvJo :hug: :)

Good luck to Jo today against Nieminen. Let's see if he makes those little adjustments, but above all, keep doing what he does best and what comes naturally to him.

MacArthur
09-05-2009, 12:53 AM
His official website is working seriously this time around. Another interview just after his win on Nieminen :

« Une victoire convaincante »
Victorieux de Jarkko Nieminen, Jo-Wilfried retrouve au 3e tour de l’US Open son ami Julien Bennetau.

Jo, c’est avec autorité que tu as écarté Jarkko Nieminen au 2e tour de l’US Open.

C’est une victoire convaincante. Ca fait toujours du bien de s’en sortir en trois sets face à un joueur aussi accrocheur et régulier. Il est difficile à manœuvrer. J’ai bien géré le match, j’ai été très opportuniste sur les balles de break. C’était un peu mon petit souci ces derniers temps. J’avais plus de balles de break que mon adversaire mais je n’en convertissais aucune. Sur ce match, j’ai fait du 100%. Cette victoire me laisse en tout cas le temps de récupérer pour la suite.

Pour la troisième année consécutive, te voilà au 3e tour de l’US Open…

Ca ne peut pas me satisfaire. Sinon, ce ne serait pas drôle. C’est à partir de maintenant que ça va devenir intéressant. Je ne veux pas me contenter de ça. Je veux aller beaucoup plus loin. Mais pour commencer, je dois gagner mon prochain match pour atteindre les 8es de finale.

Tu as débuté ton match une nouvelle fois à 11h. Comment gères-tu ce paramètre en sachant que tu n’es pas du matin ?

Ces dernies temps, à chaque fois que je jouais à 11h, j’étais en difficulté. Je n’étais pas réveillé, je n’arrivais pas à bouger sur le terrain. Je n’étais pas du tout lucide. J’avais un peu l’impression de frapper dans mon oreiller. (Rires). Aujourd’hui, je me suis levé à 6h30. Ca m’a permis d’être tout de suite en forme sur le court. Désormais, je pense adopter ce rythme quand je serai programmé à 11h.

Tu vas retrouver au prochain tour ton ami Julien Benneteau…

Ca va être un match à couteau tiré. Julien est en bonne forme, il a bien joué à Cincinnati. C’est toujours compliqué de jouer contre un compatriote mais avec Julien, on a l’habitude de se rencontrer. Donc jouer contre un ami ne me pose donc pas de soucis.

Briefly: He is happy for his break point conversion in this match (100% :cool: ), he wants to go much further than the third round this year (third time in a row that he is there :) ), playing so soon in the morning is a pain in the *** for him but he has found his rythm now by waking up at 6H00 in the morning ( :tape: ) and dueling with Benny in the next round is going to be hard but fun ( :angel: ).

They will put an english translation in two days on his official site sweetie Turquoise ( ;) ), you don't have to translate it entirely if you don't have the time or the will :kiss:

Turquoise
09-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Thanks MacArthur for letting me off ;) But, I really don't mind helping out whenever I can for I understand how frustrating it is as a fan to support a player of another nationality e.g. Russian, Spanish, German... and wishing someone would produce and translate some articles from their local press. It's wonderful that you, Truc and other fans are doing such a great job digging up these articles which give us genuine insights about Jo. Thanks again!

MacArthur
09-07-2009, 03:01 AM
This is a tough one for you, Turquoise :

« Je vais forcément engager un combat physique. » Avant de monter sur le ring, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga avait annoncé la couleur et il n'a pas trahi sa pensée sur le Grandstand en s'imposant (7-6 [5], 6-2, 6-4 en 2h12') contre Julien Benneteau. Pendant une heure, les deux joueurs se tiennent et le bras de fer s'engage avec la puissance de Jo-Wilfried Tsonga d'un côté et la résistance tactique de Julien Benneteau de l'autre.

Le 43e mondial pilonne le revers de son adversaire, ne lui donne pas d'angles, varie en montant au filet et tient malgré cinq balles de break, dont trois balles de set consécutives à 6-5. Il fait de son mieux, mais ce n'est pas suffisant. « Le premier set lui fait beaucoup de bien. A partir de là, il joue beaucoup mieux. Au premier set, j'arrive à tenir le score malgré un mauvais pourcentage au service et à l'amener au tie-break. Il n'était pas encore bien en place dans ses frappes. Puis il a vraiment haussé son niveau de jeu et il a vraiment très bien joué. Il était très solide dans tous les compartiments, relate admiratif Julien Benneteau qui ne peut déplorer qu'un seul regret son faible pourcentage au service (59% au total et 45% au premier set) et ses doubles fautes au tie-break. Il n'avait jamais joué aussi bien contre moi. C'était très fort au service et en coup droit et comme d'habitude, il couvre très bien le terrain et il est très bien en jambes. Cela devient compliqué. Sa puissance fait du dégât. »

Le 7e mondial commet quelques fautes directes au premier set, mais fait beaucoup courir son adversaire avec son grand décalage de coup droit et des amorties, ne connaît aucune alerte sur son service et finit par faire craquer son adversaire. « Je n'ai pas eu le sentiment de spécialement bien jouer. Mais aujourd'hui, j'ai plus de bouteille et j'ai appliqué ce que je devais faire à la perfection. Je n'ai pas fait ce qu'on peut appeler du beau jeu, c'est-à-dire frapper dans tous les sens, des smashes sautés ou des volées en extension, analyse le Manceau qui monte en puissance au fil des matches. Mais j'ai fait ce qu'il fallait pour gagner et je crois que c'est ce qui va m'aider à passer un cap. Aujourd'hui, j'essaie de gérer un peu mieux mes matches et pas forcément de faire du beau jeu. J'aime le beau jeu. Mais à un moment donné, on s'assagit. Au lieu de faire un rallye avec douze frappes de balles énormes, je préfère faire deux-trois merdes et faire rater mon adversaire. » Avec l'expérience, l'efficacité prend le pas sur le show. Au tie-break du premier set, deux doubles fautes condamnent le protégé de Thierry Champion.

Libéré, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga se transforme en rouleau-compresseur. « A un moment donné, c'est un peu cette impression. Sa balle gicle bien, il dégage de la puissance, décrypte le 43e mondial qui va retrouver le top 40. Il est très rapide vers l'avant. » Ses frappes détruisent la défense de Julien Benneteau et il peut dérouler jusqu'à la fin pour conclure sur un jeu blanc et une bonne première balle. Trois matches, trois victoires en trois sets. Comme son restaurant préféré à Manhattan, Le Tout va bien, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga dégage sérénité, confiance en soi et puissance. Physiquement, il ne s'est jamais senti aussi bien. Mentalement, il ne se pose aucune limite. Tennistiquement, il monte en puissance à chaque match. Pour son huitième de finale contre Fernando Gonzalez, tombeur (7-5, 6-4, 6-4) de Tomas Berdych, il aura besoin de réunir ces trois ingrédients. « J'ai envie d'être un peu plus agressif. Contre Fernando, si je lui donne la balle, je risque de ramasser des pâquerettes à chaque coin du terrain. Je vais m'appliquer à être plus offensif, prévient l'élève d'Eric Winogradsky. C'est un joueur qui aime bien jouer en confiance. Il aime bien être le patron. C'est ce que j'aime aussi. Il va y avoir du défi, pas seulement dans la frappe de balle, mais aussi dans l'attitude.»

Briefly : Benny was impressed by Jo on that one ("it was the best match he played against me"). I pass on the detail, but he thought his forehand, his serve and his movement were great. Jo said that he wasn't playing for the beautiful game this time (le beau jeu in french). He thinks it's a good way to make a step for his game to be able to push sometimes. The right sentence is this : "Instead of making a rally of twelve shots, I prefer doing two-three "shits" ( :lol: ) to make my opponent miss." I'd rather interpret this like he can play solid sometimes instead of going everytimes for the show. And indeed, it's going to make him take a step in tournament like grand slam. It's a key point to acheive consistency in today game.
Though don't panic for the gonzo match : "I want to be a little more agressive. Against Fernando, if I give him the ball, I risk to travel everywhere on the court (his french expression is untranslatable :lol: )..." It's going to be a match of punchers. :devil:

MacArthur
09-07-2009, 03:04 AM
Gonzo said this in his interview :

Q. Next round you might play against Tsonga. What can you say about him and his game?
FERNANDO GONZÁLEZ: He's a good player. He's been having really good results in the past two years. I think he's very aggressive. He serve really big. He have strong shots. We have to see who can makes more winners.

Q. There's a chance you might face Nadal in the quarterfinals. How do you feel about that?
FERNANDO GONZÁLEZ: It's only a chance, because I have really tough match the next round. I don't want to think about that yet. Hopefully I can think in two more days.
But I have to be really focused for the next round.

Interesting :cool:

Jo's interviews by the american media on the Usopen official site are pathetic. I think they are underestimating him a little. Time to show it big, Jo :cool:

Turquoise
09-07-2009, 10:10 AM
You're right MacArthur, this article is a little more tough, hope I haven't been too literal in the translations. Here goes:

“I will necessarily adopt a physically attacking game”

Before mounting the ring (boxing analogy), Jo-Wilfried Tsonga announced his intentions and he did not disappoint on the Grandstand in a convincing victory ( 7-6(5), 6-2, 6-4 in 2h12') against Julien Benneteau. For one hour, the two players engaged in an arm wrestling match with the power of Jo-Wilfried Tsonga on one hand and the tactical resistance of Julien Benneteau on the other.

The world no 43 pounded the backhand of his opponent, did not give him any angles, varied his game by moving up to the net, and held serve despite five breakpoints, including three consecutive set points at 6-5. He did his best, but it wasn’t enough.

“The first set did him a lot of good. From that moment on, he played much better. In the first set, I held serve despite a poor first serve percentage and took him to a tie-break. He wasn’t yet finding his shots. Then, he really upped his level of play and he played very well indeed. He was really solid in all departments.” Thus complimented Julien Benneteau, whose sole regret was his own poor service percentage (59% in total, and 45% in the first set) and his double faults in the tie-break. “He has never played as well against me. His serves and forehands were very powerful and as usual, he covered the court very well and he is very fit. It became complicated for me. His power does a lot of damage.”

The world number 7 committed some unforced errors in the first set, but made his opponent run a lot, shifting from big forehand to drop shots, was never in danger on his serve and ended up breaking down his opponent.

“I did not have the feeling of having played exceptionally well. But I now have more experience and I executed what I needed to do to perfection. I did not necessarily play a beautiful game, that is, hitting winners at will, slam dunk smashes or stretch volleys,” analysed the Manceau who gets stronger with each match. “But I did what I needed to do to win and I believe that’s what will help take me to the next level. Now, I try to manage my matches better and not necessarily play beautiful tennis. I love the beautiful game. But there’s a time to settle down. Instead of playing a twelve-shot rally, I prefer playing a few “sh*ts” to make my opponent miss.” With experience, efficiency takes precedence over the show. In the first set tie-break, two double faults condemned Thierry Champion’s charge.

Liberated, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga was transformed into a steam-roller. “That’s the impression one got after a certain point. He hits the ball cleanly, he exudes power," deciphers the world number 43 who will regain the top 40. “He’s very rapid moving forwards.” His shots destroyed the defence of Julien Benneteau and he was able to cruise to the end, concluding with a love game and good first serve. Three matches, three victories in straight sets. Like his favourite restaurant in Manhattan, Le Tout, all is well, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga radiates serenity, self-confidence and power. Physically, he has never felt better. Mentally, he does not limit himself. Tennis-wise, he gets stronger with each match. For his R16 match against Fernando Gonzalez, the executioner (7-5, 6-4, 6-4) of Tomas Berdych, he will have to combine these three ingredients. “I want to be a bit more aggressive. Against Fernando, if I hand him the ball, I risk scrambling around all over the court. I will apply myself to be more offensive,” anticipates the student of Eric Winogradsky. "It’s a player who likes to play with confidence. He likes to be the boss. That’s what I like too. It will be a challenge for him, not only in the way he strikes the ball, but also in his attitude.”

DanaKz
09-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Thank you so much Turquoise!!!

Bashak
09-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Jo will play Jesse Huta Galung of the Netherlands for Davis Cup today. Good Luck!
There are audioclips on the fft site. I think Jo says that he believes they will win but they don't want to underestimate their opponents. They want to do their best.
http://www.fft.fr/coupe-davis/2009/pays-bas-France/?id=5310

Truc
10-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Are there any German speaking Jojotards? The interview of the German tennis magazin is with Jo this month, I can (try to) scan it if anybody is interested.
Of course they ask him about his first name Jo-Wilfried, some people asked me in Hamburg too why the "German name".

Tess Gray
10-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Yes I would love to read it Fran, thanks!

Jo-Wilfried german? I thought it was more like Flemish tbh:shrug: But oh well, what do I know:lol:

Truc
10-23-2009, 09:27 PM
It has nothing to do with Germany either in his case. And only "Wilfried" sounds German, not "Jo-Wilfried".
(He answers his parents wanted to call him Jonathan, but short before he was born, friends of them had a baby named Jonathan too, so they had to change in last minute. They wanted to keep the first part, "Jo", looked in the calendar for another name to go with it and picked Wilfried, it's completely random.
Jo-Wilfried is cooler than Jonathan!)

The quality of my scan is "not so great", sorry:
http://monimag.eu/upload/304/0jo tm101.th.jpg (http://monimag.eu/image.php?img=/304/0jo tm101.jpg)
http://monimag.eu/upload/304/jo tm102.th.jpg (http://monimag.eu/image.php?img=/304/jo tm102.jpg)http://monimag.eu/upload/304/jo tm103.th.jpg (http://monimag.eu/image.php?img=/304/jo tm103.jpg)
"On the court I'm a beast"
... and off the court a charmer: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga laughed a lot during the interview for tennis magazin.

I remember simplet wanted to refresh his German some time ago, so here you go, practice your German with Jo.

Bashak
10-24-2009, 09:12 PM
:lol: fun piece of trivia about the name picked from the calendar!:yeah: Thanks Truc, as always. I obviously don't understand German so whoever is up to the task, has my full support and gratitude.

Tess Gray
10-25-2009, 11:12 AM
I'll translate it:) Give me a few hours and I'll post it when I'm done.

Tess Gray
10-25-2009, 01:24 PM
So here is the translation. Hope you guys will excuse my english every now and then;)

In 2008 he stormed onto the ATP tour like a tsunami. This year he has established himself as one of the best players. In this interview he talks about his popularity, his african roots and his first name.

Monsieur Tsonga, around the world you have fans cheering for you. What is your secret?
There is no secret. I am who I am. I think that people like me because of the way I play and because I show my feelings. I am athletic. When I hit a smash I jump as high as a basketbal player. The public likes that.

Do you see yourself as a showman?No. I am not pretending. It’s just fun to play the way I play and I will never change the way I play. The problem is that sometimes my thoughts aren’t on the court. I lose my concentration- and a match could be gone.

Do you throw matches away?
Yes it happens. For me it’s important to feel good. I need to feel the public. I need the energy of the fans. When the atmosphere is lacking, I think to myself: what am I playing for? For nothing! I’d rather have the audience against me than an audience that doesn’t care.

Are you moody? (as in like moodswings)
(smiles) Yes, a little. I need good vibes, for inspiration. Tennis is a fight. When everything is right, I become an animal on court. Then my second ‘me’ comes out.

Does that mean that offcourt you are less extrovert?
I am calmer, I don’t like to be in the center of attention. I appreciate the small things in life: to be outside in nature, catching fish. I used to go fishing a lot, but I don’t have the time anymore. Now I go fishing maybe ten times a year.

I heard you like to cook?
Yes I do. Desserts are my specialty, especially tiramisu.

You are one of the stars on Tour. What differs you from Federer and Nadal?
A lot. Everybody has a different way to success. Federer mixes up his game perfectly, Nadal tries to tire his opponent out. Djokovic, Murray and Del Potro also have a different style. There is a lot of diversity. It’s so much fun to play in this era.

And you are playing the part of an artist?
I like all aspects of the game: the athleticism, the fighting, the beauty of the game. Most of all the enthusiasm. For example, Younes El Aynaoui, one of my favourite players. He had no backhand, he constantly hits forhands, goes to the net, volleys, smashes and yells “aarggh”: that’s entertainment!

When you win, you jump around the court and point at your back with your hands, like a soccer player after he’s scored a goal. What does this mean?
The first time I did that was when I beat Lleyton Hewitt at Queens two years ago. Because I won that match I entered the top 100. Since then it’s my lucky dance, my trademark. I celebrate with it after all my victories.

Do you think your fans expected more of you after your AO final in 2008?
Yeah but it makes sense that people would have expectations. I haven’t played that well ever since. I was unbelievably fast, punchy and fierce.

Rafael Nadal, whom you beat in the semi final, said: I had no chance to stop somebody playing at this level.
Everything fitted perfectly. I felt like in a videogame: everything I wanted to do, I could pull off. I was in complete controle.

After that you had a lot of injuries: Shoulder, back, abdomen and because of a kneeinjury you missed 6 months of last season. Did you play too much?
No, injuries are part of the life of a tennisplayer. You have to deal with it. But this period wasn’t that bad. I’ve watched matches from fellow players and I’ve learned from them. I’ve learned how you can train more effectively. Mentally I’ve become stronger. My dad used to say to me: Tennis is like life, you have to fight. Nothing comes naturally. You have to invest a lot, to succeed.

What else has your father taught you?
That you always have to repect your opponent. And yourself.

Is your body more prone to injuries than others?
I don’t believe so.

Could it be that your style of play is too risky?
And I wouldn’t have it any other way.

You remind us of your countryman Yannick Noah.
A lot of people say that. I know Yannick well. When people compare me to him, it flatters me ofcourse. When I was younger he trained with me a few times. He gave me advice.

Also, you are always compared with Muhammed Ali. Does that annoy you?
To be honest, I don’t really care anymore. Sure it’s great to be compared to one of the greatest athletes ever, but you come to a point where you don’t want to be like somebody else.

Have you seen Alis fights?
Yes ofcourse. I’ve seen several DVDs. My dad was at his famous fight in Kinshasa between him and George Foreman. He hasn’t told me a lot about it, I should ask him about it.

Last year you visited your grandfather for the first time in Brazzaville. What does Africa mean to you?
It’s a part of me. That’s where my roots are. When I was there, I flew in the presidents private jet. We ate and fished together. But to be honest, that wasn’t important to me. The most important thing was that I could meet my grandfather. He lives in a hut. I could have bought him a house, but he doesn’t want me to. When I saw him, I understood who I am and where I am from.

Your mother is French. Do you feel African or French?
its not like a feel a certain percent french, or a certain percent african. Africa is part of my personality. When I won Johannesburg in the beginning of the year, the feeling was amazing. The armosphere, the fans who were cheering- it was amazing. But when I’m playing Davis Cup for France, I also have a lot of emotions. I am a patriot.

In 2009 you won 2 tournaments, but in GSs you've never passed QFs. Are you happy with that?
Some things were okay, others were not. My defeat at Wimbledon, in the third round against Karlovic, where I lost in 4 tight sets, was difficult. But I have to accept something like that. In Montreal was the first time that I beat Federer, eventhough he was up 5-1 in the final set. In those cases I know I am not far from the top.

You still haven’t won the big title. Which Grand Slam tournament do you want to win the most?
All of them. Melbourne, because it means I have a great start of the season. Roland Garros, because it’s a home game. Wimbledon because of the tradition. And the US Open because I like the United States and also because I won that tournament as a junior.

Could you tell us what you have spent your price money on?
A house near Genf, where I live. That’s it.

You don’t live in Le Mans anymore?
No, but I am there a lot. Le Mans is still my favourite soccer team in the french competition. My brother Enzo has played basketball for Le Mans, one of the best teams in the competition.

Le Mans is also known for its 24-hours race.
I definitely want to go and see it next year.

One last question: Tell us how you got your first name. It sounds a bit german!
I know, but it’s not a reference to Germany. Originally my parents wanted to call me Jonathan, but right before I was born friends of my parents also named their newborn Jonathan. So two days before I was born, they had to find another name. They wanted to keep the first part ‘Jo’. They went through a calender to find names that they could combine with Jo. And they found Jo-Wilfried.

Keijan
10-25-2009, 01:40 PM
:D thanks a lot ! Jonathan is a cute name, but I think it wouldn't have suit him :p
I like what he's saying about not being a certain percent of african and another of french, but just being both :)

amdany
10-26-2009, 06:06 PM
thanks a lot Tess !!

simplet
10-26-2009, 10:22 PM
It has nothing to do with Germany either in his case. And only "Wilfried" sounds German, not "Jo-Wilfried".
(He answers his parents wanted to call him Jonathan, but short before he was born, friends of them had a baby named Jonathan too, so they had to change in last minute. They wanted to keep the first part, "Jo", looked in the calendar for another name to go with it and picked Wilfried, it's completely random.
Jo-Wilfried is cooler than Jonathan!)

The quality of my scan is "not so great", sorry:
http://monimag.eu/upload/304/0jo tm101.th.jpg (http://monimag.eu/image.php?img=/304/0jo tm101.jpg)
http://monimag.eu/upload/304/jo tm102.th.jpg (http://monimag.eu/image.php?img=/304/jo tm102.jpg)http://monimag.eu/upload/304/jo tm103.th.jpg (http://monimag.eu/image.php?img=/304/jo tm103.jpg)
"On the court I'm a beast"
... and off the court a charmer: Jo-Wilfried Tsonga laughed a lot during the interview for tennis magazin.

I remember simplet wanted to refresh his German some time ago, so here you go, practice your German with Jo.

Ah ah thanks a lot. Also you can always guess what he's going to say so it's easier to understand!

MacArthur
10-27-2009, 07:37 AM
A bit late, but a really nice article !

Thanks for the translation, Tess !

DanaKz
11-03-2009, 04:32 AM
Thank you very much Truc and Tess!
I translated this interview for russian LJ community :)
What is the name of this magazine?

Keijan
11-14-2009, 12:13 AM
After Tutu and the "spécial Simon" last week, Wino wrote an article for Christophe Thoreau !

Spécial Tsonga

Nouvel invité sur Jeu Décisif : Eric Winogradsky. Le coach de Jo-Wilfried Tsonga a choisi d'évoquer son poulain et vous propose un portrait intimiste de l'actuel meilleur joueur français. Un Tsonga qui s'est incliné ce vendredi face à Rafael Nadal en quarts de finale à Bercy.

Le Jo-Wilfried Tsonga que vous connaissez et celui que je côtoie en dehors des courts n'ont strictement rien à voir. Jo, loin du terrain, est quelqu'un de posé. Et de très agréable à vivre. Mais cela ne signifie pas pour autant qu'il ne sait pas ce qu'il veut. Vous le savez, pour aller chercher des gros matches ou remporter des titres, il est capable de se mettre dans un état, non pas de transe, mais comme on dit dans le sport de haut-niveau, de se mettre dans la «zone». Il a besoin de sentir de l'adrénaline sur le terrain comme il a besoin de sentir un calme profond en dehors. Et ce n'est pas quelqu'un qui se prend la tête avec quoi que ce soit.

Au début de notre collaboration, il n'arrivait pas, justement, à être différent entre sa vie de tous les jours et le tennis. Il nous a donc fallu un peu de temps pour trouver la bonne carburation. Cela venait du fait qu'il se voyait déjà à un haut-niveau alors que son classement ne l'était pas. Il se morfondait sur les petits tournois qu'il disputait. Et quand on a tout repris à zéro, j'ai enfin vu la vraie nature de Jo. Une personne capable de faire des choses fantastiques sur un court, et dans la vie, un garçon cool et fidèle, qui attache beaucoup d'importance à des valeurs comme l'amitié et la fidélité, valeurs qui lui ont été inculquées par ses parents.

Jo a des idées précises sur ses besoins pour continuer à progresser. Alors évidemment, comme dans tous les couples, il nous est arrivé de ne pas être d'accord. La plupart du temps, et c'est une chose à laquelle j'attache beaucoup d'importance, j'aime que cela se règle dans la discussion. C'est aussi une notion qu'il apprécie. Il aime bien la bagarre mais pas le conflit. Quand il est persuadé d'une chose, il aime bien essayer. Au moins une fois. C'est d'ailleurs une qualité d'avoir des convictions et de les défendre. Ensuite, quand on comprend que l'on a tort, il faut simplement avoir l'intelligence de l'admettre. C'est son cas.

Il a toujours été très mature. Comme il se voyait champion alors que ce n'était pas encore le cas, on pouvait penser qu'il avait la grosse tête. Mais non. Il a ensuite prouvé à tout le monde qu'il avait bien le potentiel pour rejoindre le cercle des meilleurs joueurs du monde. Il en avait en tous cas l'intime conviction. Une anecdote pour illustrer mon propos : nous sommes à Pékin en 2004 et Jo vient de se qualifier pour la première fois pour le tableau final d'un tournoi ATP. Et puis au premier tour, il tombe sur Carlos Moya, tête de série numéro un. Moi, je suis un peu déçu du tirage parce que je l'imaginais capable de passer quelques tours face à d'autres adversaires que Carlos Moya qui, à l'époque, était sixième mondial. Et là, Jo m'a dit: « dommage pour Carlos Moya». Et il l'a battu. Lui était 209e à l'ATP. Voilà, c'est ça, Jo !

I'll translate tomorrow. Tomorrow will be a "special Monfils" on the blog ;)

Bashak
11-14-2009, 12:08 PM
english version of wino's article:
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/tennis/simon-reed/article/642/

Winogradsky on Tsonga
Sat Nov 14 08:36AM

In the second of our series of guest blogs, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's coach, Eric Winogradsky looks to give some insight into the character of the world number nine.

The Jo-Wilfried you see on the court and the one I know off it don't really have an awful lot in common.

Off the court Jo is cool and composed and a great person to be around. But that doesn't mean to say that he doesn't know what he wants.

Before a big match or when he's trying to win a title he has this ability to get in the "zone" as they say in sport at the highest level these days. He needs that adrenalin rush when he's playing just as much as he needs peace and quiet when he's not. And he's not someone who beats himself up about things.

When we started working together he wasn't able to separate his everyday life from his tennis so we needed a little bit of time to get the blend right. All that was because he thought he was in the elite when his ranking said something else. He was just moping around at these minor tournaments he was playing in.

So when we went back to square one I was finally able to see the real Jo. He's someone who can do fantastic things on the court and in everyday life, a very laid-back and loyal person who attaches a lot of importance to values like friendship and loyalty, values that his parents instilled in him.

Jo has very fixed ideas about what he needs to do to keep on progressing. And so, like any couple, we have our disagreements. Most of the time, and this is something that I feel is very important, I prefer us to discuss things rather than have a fight about it, and that's something he appreciates too.

He likes having a good argument but not a fight, and when he comes round to your point of view he's prepared to give something a try, once at least. In any case I think it's good to have convictions and to stand up for them. But when you're wrong about something, you have to be intelligent enough to admit it. And that's the case with Jo.

He's always been very mature. He used to see himself as a champion before he actually became one, and you might have thought that he was big-headed. He wasn't though. And he quickly showed everyone that he really did have the potential to break into the elite group of players at the top.

There's one little story that illustrates all that. We were in Beijing in 2004 and Jo had just qualified for an ATP tournament for the first time. Then, in the first round he gets drawn against the number one seed Carlos Moya. I was a bit disappointed about the draw because I could see him getting through a few rounds against other opponents. But Moya was the world number six at the time.

Even so, Jo just said to me, "Too bad for Carlos Moya". And though he was ranked 209 on the Tour, he went out and beat him. So there you go, that's Jo for you.

DanaKz
11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Any news about Jo?

lisebeth
11-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Any news about Jo?

he was supposed to arrive in london saturday...but then i haven't heard anything, sorry

DanaKz
11-25-2009, 06:00 AM
:)

Found it (ave google and google translate!)
http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/95509/tsonga-vis-ma-vie-de-remplacant-au-masters/
It's on French, but as I see Jo was on Chelsea's match

lisebeth
11-25-2009, 06:04 AM
yes it says he is bored all day at the stadium! ;)

Bashak
11-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks a lot!

De temps en temps, j’échauffe les joueurs qui veulent "taper" la balle. Je suis un peu le sparring-partner de luxe.
:haha: "I'm sort of a luxury hitting partner"

DanaKz
11-25-2009, 07:04 PM
http://www.thenational.ae/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091125/SPORT/711249859/1004

Jo will face Davydeno in opener of show-tournament in Abu-Dhabi Dec 31. The winner of this match will meet Nadal.
In other half Wawrinka will meet Soderling and Roger will play with this match winner in semi.

DanaKz
11-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Another interview with Jo!
http://www.tssonnet.com/stories/20091128502101500.htm

Favourite movie: Lord of the Rings

Favourite TV show: I don’t watch TV too much.

Musical tastes: Everything.

Favourite meal: Meal from Congo — it’s like chicken with peanut butter.

Favourite ice cream flavour: Vanilla.

Favourite non-tennis sport to watch: Basketball (Jo-Wilfried Tsonga’s younger brother (Enzo) is part of the French basketball programme).

Best tennis pals: Richard Gasquet, Gael Monfils and Marcos Baghdatis.
I didn't know he is friend of Marcos!

Do you recall any funny moments from the court?

Against Mario Ancic in Bercy three years ago. I served a big serve and he put his racquet out and it broke in the middle. So, for me, it was funny because he was like this — with a broken racquet. I think he broke the racquet before he even played with it. When he hit the ball it goes BOOM!
:haha:

lisebeth
11-26-2009, 11:58 AM
in french once again... sorry!

http://www.sport24.com/tennis/atp/fil-info/tsonga-c-est-frustrant-316898/

Bashak
11-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I didn't know he is friend of Marcos!

Marcos went to tennis school (:lol: is that what it's called??) in france and speaks french, so not surprising. I remember reading Marcos was dating Jo's ex gf but I am very ignorant about tennis gossip and it is probably a stupid rumour.

Bashak
11-30-2009, 10:41 AM
No article but news: Jo will play in Doha come January 2010 along with Federer, Nadal and Davydenko. Damn, they must give the players ridiculous amounts of cash. It is also nearly impossible for me to go b/c apparently they require turkish tourists to stay in luxury hotels to issue visas.

http://www.qatartennis.org/app/webroot/files/file/List%20of%20players.pdf

lisebeth
11-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Thx !

Keijan
01-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Kooyong itw :

Q. How did you feel, you know, your condition, the play in the

windy conditions?

A. Yeah, I feel good. I feel better with my new racquet in

the wind, and now today it was, it was difficult to play

for me, and I think also for Robin. But even in these

condition we have to play and we have to win, and I did it

today so it's good for me.

Q. First time here, Joe. Why did you select to come to Kooyong?

A. For me, it was the opportunity to play matches before the big

event and that's it. That's it. I don't know the

tournament. I know it's a huge event because in the past lot

of good player was here, and so for me it's good to be part

of this event.

Q. Good players keep coming. You've got Del Potro next?

A. Yeah, it's going to be Del Potro, it's going to be tough.

He played very well and, like today, I will play my game

and see what is happen.

Q. You had a good start, preparation for last year. You had a

good start to the season. Have you prepared any

differently this year?

A. Yeah. It's - yeah, it was similar. It was similar.

Q. What preparation did you do?

A. Oh, lot of things, lot of things. I have vacation, I try to

stay fit, to work on my body, and that's it, and take some

rest also because the season is long and we have to be ready

for the next one.

AAMI CLASSIC 13.1.10 1 JO-WILFRIED TSONGA
Q. Have you been working on coming to net more, win more

points with volleys?

A. Not really, because now the game is different. The ball go

faster and it's more and more difficult to go to the net, so

the first thing for me was to play better in the back so I'll

try to improve my back.

Q. There are seven or eight very, very good players in the

tournament next week, and you are one of them. I just

wonder, who do you think will win the Australian Open this

year?

A. I hope me. Who will win - I don't know. To do like

everybody, I'll say Federer because for the moment he's the

best player in the world.

Q. Even after losing to Davydenko?

A. Even.

Q. What do you think that means for Davydenko? Is he

possibly, could he possibly win?

A. Yeah, of course. Of course. But I think lot of player can

do it. But for the moment Federer is the best, is the best

player, like I said before, and that's it. That's it.

Q. Last year was probably the best year statistically, fifty

odd wins and a couple of titles. What do you need to do to

go to the next level, do you think?

A. To be more consistent maybe in the big, in big events, like

grand slam and also big tournament.

Q. Are you far away from that, do you think?

A. Not far, because every time I lose, you know, just before

semi-final, and I think I can do it.

MARIE KELLEY: Anything further? Thank you very much Jo-Wilfried.

A. Thank you.

Keijan
01-22-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm reposting this itw I had posted on Gaël's forum, of Jo speaking about Gaël's body :

« J’aimerais bien être sec comme lui, je prendrais quelques places au classement. Sérieux, mon rêve serait d’être comme lui. Mais, on est comme on est. Je sais avec Roger (Rasheed, son entraineur), ils travaillent beaucoup sur le mythe du travail, disons ‘rustique’, il fait beaucoup de pompes, il sculpte son corps. Moi, je n’en fais pas parce que je suis tellement gros (rires). Pour en faire deux déjà, c’est difficile… Non, mais je fais autre chose, voilà, tout simplement. »
http://www.rmc.fr/edito/sport/100548...re-des-pompes/

"I'd love to be like him, I would grab a few more places in the rankings ! Seriously, it's my dream to be like him. But you are what you are. I know that with Roger Rasheed, they're working a lot on the mythe, you know, of the "rustic" work. He's doing a lot of push-up, he's sculpting his body. Me, I can't do that because I'm so fat (laughs.) I do two push-up and I'm exhausted. No, but I work differently, let's say."

Get muscled as much as you want Jojo, just don't lose in the third round like your idol ;)

Månu
01-26-2010, 08:16 AM
Has anybody heard about this story?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tennis/jo-wilfried-tsonga-shows-his-softer-side-befriending-ballboy/story-fn4oewqb-1225823588254

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga shows his softer side, befriending ballboy

Keijan
01-26-2010, 10:19 AM
Oh, that is so cute, thanks a lot ! I didn't hear about it, Jo must have been very cautious not to let it slip.

SelvenluvJo
01-26-2010, 01:21 PM
what's the matter with that ballboy?

abruzzi
05-10-2010, 10:36 AM
not new, but the title of this really grabbed my attention :lol: I wouldn't mind though...:kiss:

http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/05/23/french-open-jo-wilfried-tsonga-wants-to-pleasure-you/

lets hope he does well in 2010 french open, good luck jo!

abruzzi
05-12-2010, 12:37 PM
a nice post about Jo's smile :)

http://www.gototennisblog.com/2010/05/11/video-jo-wilfried-tsonga-smile-uncovered/

Puschkin
05-17-2010, 10:01 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100515_183259_federer-et-consorts-a-rueil.html
An exo gainst Wawrika before RG.

inaand
05-28-2010, 06:19 PM
France’s No.1 player, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, dreams of winning Roland Garros some day. When he was younger, his dream was to be a football player for Marseilles. Read on for more about football from the French favourite…

What is your first football memory?
When I was a kid, in Le Mans. There was a lawn in the suburbs where my parents lived where I would play with my friends every day after school, sometimes until nightfall. Some days I’d pretend to be Franck Sauzée taking free-kicks, some days I was Chris Waddle or even Rudi Voeller, a real fox in the box. Those were the good old days.

Who was your childhood idol?
First it was Chris Waddle, then George Weah, and then Didier Drogba.

Which is your favourite team?
My heart is with Le Mans but the team that really gets me excited is Marseilles. I really like the passion that team inspires.

Which is your favourite stadium?
The Stade de France.

Who do you think will be the biggest surprise at the World Cup?
Argentina. With Maradona in charge, I’m sure there will be fireworks. I have a really good feeling about Argentina.

What about the biggest disappointment?
I’m afraid it will be South Africa. I’m very worried about them.

Who would you pay good money to see in South Africa?
Messi.

How much would you pay for your favourite player’s shirt?
That depends on who gets the money. If it’s for a charity I’d be willing to put down quite a bit of money. If not, I’d pay the official price.

Which fans are the best?
Everyone was telling me about the English fans but, when I went to a few matches, I was disappointed. It was like they were crooning lullabies. The Italians know how to make some noise. Watching on the television, it looks like they get very excited. But I have to say that the French fans are pretty great too.

If you could play 90 minutes with any team, which would it be and what position?
Hmmm…In Le Mans they might give me a chance (laughs). I’m kidding… In a passionate country, like Brazil, playing for Flamengo at the Maracana in front of a capacity crowd.

Who is your favourite manager?
Not Jose Mourinho! I don’t like managers who toot their own horns. I prefer Arsène Wenger or Laurent Blanc, managers who know to be humble and put the team first.

What’s the best goal you’ve ever seen?
The one I thought was out of this world was the second one by Tutu (Lilian Thuram), in the 1998 World Cup semi-final against Croatia. He scores with his left foot, kneels down, puts his finger on his lips… and that was the goal that put France through into the final. It was totally unreal.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2010-05-28/201005281275056131646.html

greenhopper
05-28-2010, 09:19 PM
I have so much respect for Jo right now. He has played through pain today. Very endearing interview.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga defeated Thiemo de Bakker 6-7(6) 7-6(4) 6-3 6-4

Q. You felt quite a lot of emotion at the end of the match. Is there any particular reason? Is it a special game for you? Special match for you.
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: Emotion, yes, because I suffered a lot during this match. It was hard.
All along the match I was trying to think about something else than the pain I was feeling. So that's why.

Q. How can you play beyond the pain?
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: Well, by telling yourself it doesn't hurt. It doesn't hurt. Every 10 seconds you go, It doesn't hurt. I'll go for it. It doesn't hurt.
I knew this was something that couldn't go worse, so there was no reason for me to quit. But it was painful, and it was difficult when I had to change direction, when he was getting me wrong footed. When I had to move from one side to the other I had difficulties especially on my forehand.
But then I fought, and at the end of the day, it made the difference because I think he also had difficult matches before. He had slightly less experience, and I think, well, he couldn't make it at the end.

Q. Had you lost the second set, did you feel you had the strength to come back had you been two sets down?
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: I would have fought till the end, whatever. The day I quit, it's just because it's impossible, a bit like in Madrid when I just couldn't play. I couldn't.
There it was painful, but I knew it couldn't get any worse; whereas in Madrid I knew I had this problem with my back, and I knew if I had to make some movements, it would have taken me more time to recover.

Q. This match was a bit the competition of the most beautiful dropshot. We had lots of beautiful dropshots.
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: Well, Thiemo does play a lot of dropshots, and sometimes you have counterdropshots. In a five set match, dropshots are part of the game, because it makes the other run.
It wears you out really. After the 15th dropshot you're worn out. But I knew I would be present. I wouldn't give up. So I did what I could, and I started playing dropshots and thinking, Well, if he starts getting tired, then I can take the lead because I can't be all that punchy today.

Q. You said that this muscle problem is more linked to the stress.
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: Yes. Well, it's a muscle problem which is linked to stress, but it's a muscle problem.

Q. Will it be manageable for Sunday?
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: Yes, it's not because I was tired. I think it was more because well, I was a bit nervous, and when you're a bit nervous, it makes things a bit worse.
Well, then, yeah, it was a bit of a difficulty of a handicap for me. But it's a muscle issue. When it's just that, you can take a rest, it's gonna be okay.

Q. But today is Friday night. You are the last French player in the draw. What's your comment? Because, well, it's a bit of a habit, you being the last one left. This time it's a bit early.
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: What do I feel about it? Well, it's sad. It's sad the others didn't make it. I was sad seeing Richard losing, because I had made a bet. I thought he would make it here.
As for Gaël yesterday, it was a bit difficult. It was hard. He never managed to really be back in the match after they had to stop because of the night.
So for him it's a shame, as well. Well, I'm doing my job, and I hope I'll be even better for the next round.

Q. When did you start feeling that pain?
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: End of the second set, 5 All. Eric says it's on a dropshot. I started sliding, and maybe that's when it happened. I don't know. But I started feeling it at the end, and you know, it became more intense.
At the beginning it really it was just very little nagging me. Then little by little it started hurting and being very painful.

Q. Wasn't it also something that helped you relax?
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: Well, yes. It was a blessing in disguise, because instead of thinking of all the points I had in my racquet and never scored, I was focusing on my pain. That's what made it possible for me to stop thinking too much and be back in the match.

Q. Is this why you were more offensive on the third and fourth set, because you were trying to play shorter rallies?
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: Yes, because as I couldn't run that much with my leg, I started trying to manage the game, impose my game, be the master on the court.
Yes, it was relaxing at the end because I played better than when I was in totally good shape.
Then I think Thiemo also started to feel a bit tired, because at the beginning he would hit his ball much stronger. At the end, I was okay.

Q. Before you had this pain during the first set you were shaking your left wrist. What does it mean?
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: Well, sometimes I would block my wrist, the left wrist. I don't know why, because I don't use it that much except for my backhand. But sometimes it's a bit painful and I shake it. It goes away.

Q. So it's a small pain that comes and goes, but it's not linked to tension or stress?
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: Well, it's probably linked to stress, but I don't control everything. So, you know, it sometimes happens.
Some players would cramp because of stress. Others feel pain. That's the way it is.

Q. What's your schedule for tomorrow, to be at the top on Sunday against Troicki or Youzhny?
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: Hey, that's my secret. I can't tell you everything, otherwise everybody would do the same. But it's going to be rest, mostly.

Q. Are you going to ask the organizers to schedule you as late as possible?
JO WILFRIED TSONGA: No, not particularly, because I'll be ready to play on Sunday.
And anyway, I know I won't be playing before 11:00 in the morning.

lisebeth
06-01-2010, 07:59 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100531_220109_tsonga-absent-une-dizaine-de-jours.html

Jo is not likely playing in Queens, and maybe not Wimbledon too...

lisebeth
06-01-2010, 02:05 PM
I heard on tv this morning he couldn't play before 15 days/one month ... don't know what to expect :(

.-Federers_Mate-.
06-02-2010, 12:44 PM
yep hes in doubt for the whole grass court season. Really bad news

Turquoise
06-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Everytime he gains momentum, injury stalls his progress. It's really sad :sad: Even if he's able to play at Wimbledon, it's still frustrating as he's got a great game for this surface and he would want to give it his best effort, but it's unlikely that his body will allow him to.

nalbyfan
06-10-2010, 02:49 PM
According to l'Equipe of today, Jo will play Wimbly

DanaKz
06-10-2010, 03:13 PM
:woohoo:

lisebeth
06-10-2010, 05:14 PM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100610_085634_tsonga-est-apte.html

he had a MRI wednesday and has fully recover, he will be on wimbledon's court on monday !

SelvenluvJo
06-10-2010, 05:33 PM
good news!!Good luck Jo

nalbyfan
06-12-2010, 10:10 AM
Next week he'll play The Boodles, an exh on grass in Stoke park along with Nalby, Monfils and Djok

Turquoise
06-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Fantastic news! Welcome back Jo!

greenhopper
06-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Hooray!! Jo had never beaten Kolya before this (http://www.theboodles.com/view_news.php?id=00096).

World Number 9, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga completed a straight sets victory over the Russian Nikolay Davydenko on a scintillating day of on-court action at the Boodles Challenge in Buckinghamshire today.

The Frenchman produced a brilliant performance in a 6-3, 7-6 victory over the world number 5 as a record crowd watched from the stands. Tsonga's powerful ground strokes proved too much for the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals Champion and Davydenko had no reply to his aggressive serve and volleying.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga commented, "It's always a real pleasure to play here at Boodles and it was a good game for me and for my confidence going into Wimbledon. The crowd was great and very supportive and if you're asking me how far France will go in the World Cup as well then I'd say further than England".

oranges
06-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Finally some good news, I couldn't take another one of my boys pulling out of Wimby

SelvenluvJo
06-18-2010, 11:21 AM
Jo draws Kendrick in the 1st round,it will be a tough match.

oranges
06-18-2010, 11:29 AM
We need a Wimby thread, any volunteers to open it, I'm kind of bad luck for that task.

It's not a bad draw overall, though an easier first round to get used to the surface would be welcome

DanaKz
07-20-2010, 05:32 AM
Any news?

nalbyfan
07-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Bad news : according to l'Equipe; he won't be able to play USO and maybe DC tie

SelvenluvJo
07-31-2010, 03:33 PM
Bad news : according to l'Equipe; he won't be able to play USO and maybe DC tie

oh no,it's not ture:sad::sad::sad::sad:

DanaKz
08-01-2010, 05:01 AM
:sad:

oranges
08-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Terrible news :tears: Get well soon Jojo. I'm very worried, I suppose it's the same knee he had operated.

lisebeth
08-02-2010, 09:31 PM
This is what FFT said before davis cup :
"Le numéro 1 français souffre d'une lésion tendineuse de huit millimètres du tendon rotulien gauche. Cette blessure, survenue progressivement lors de son parcours à Wimbledon, devrait le tenir éloigné des courts de compétition pour une durée minimum de quatre à six semaines"

The number 1 French suffers from a tendinous hurt of eight millimeters of the rotulien left tendon. This wound, arisen gradually during Wimbledon, should hold him taken away from the courts of competition for duration minimum from four to six weeks

i don't remember wich knee had surgery?

DanaKz
08-03-2010, 07:35 AM
I really have to say it: Jo's official site sucks! It sucks all the way any site can suck!

First: we really never find any news about Jo on this site. They update their contents only after every single person on this Earth already read it in their last month magazine. Then they decide it is right time to post some news on website.

Second: we never have feeling we can communicate with Jo via this site. Even his interviews on this site are not give us spark of his personality: it is allways like speeches on United Nation committee.

What about other sections? Boooring. Nothing special about it - all this things I can find on ATPworldtour.com

No forum. No guestbook. No Q/A.

Oh, and a full room of ads, banners and sponsorships marks.

Oh, and do you remember this failure with his calendar in the begining of this season?

0/10.

lisebeth
08-03-2010, 10:26 AM
i totally agree with you! up to date news and a fan forum is the least for a player website, i think... i don't go on that site : there's nothing anyways!

lilibel13
08-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Dana and lise + 1

nalbyfan
08-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Tsonga is on Metz entry list but will he be able to play???

lisebeth
08-18-2010, 12:36 PM
He's supposed to have medical exam next week, i'm hoping we will have some news then...

nalbyfan
08-21-2010, 09:24 AM
L'Equipe confirmed that he was out of USO (and probably of DC tie too ???)

Jivone
08-22-2010, 01:17 AM
oops ~~~~~~~~~~~><~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SelvenluvJo
08-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Fine...get well soon my Jo

Bashak
08-22-2010, 02:53 PM
hope he gets better soon. with all these injuries throughout his career, i think he should hire a doctor to travel with him. :ras:

Jivone
08-23-2010, 02:19 AM
hope he gets better soon. with all these injuries throughout his career, i think he should hire a doctor to travel with him. :ras:

Bashak,ur icon painted by yourself?

Bashak
08-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Bashak,ur icon painted by yourself?

no, I screencapped it from the canalplus musketeers series intro :D

DanaKz
08-23-2010, 08:21 AM
no, I screencapped it from the canalplus musketeers series intro :D

Is it possible to download this video?

Bashak
08-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Is it possible to download this video?

I think yes. look up in the general french players news thread. I will post a link here too.

Bashak
08-23-2010, 08:38 AM
here is the link you can watch episode 2 of second the season online: http://player.canalplus.fr/#/328028

you can find the other links, probably downloadable ones in this thread:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=139434

:wavey:

DanaKz
08-23-2010, 09:52 AM
Thank you Bashak!

DanaKz
08-26-2010, 02:00 PM
New interview on Jo's official site

http://www.jowiltsonga.fr/itw_fr.php

Guys, please! :help: Translation! :bowdown:

simplet
08-26-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm going to start playing again in a few days!

Q : How are you doing jo?

A : I'm in rather good spirits. I'm flying to New-York for a couple of days. I've got some stuff to do there. It'll let me think of something else, I'm gonna see some people...

Q : With that left knee injury, you must have had a strange summer...

A : Obviously, most of all, I took some rest. Every morning I used a machine called Cybex for physiotherapy. I strenghtened my leg a bit, too. Otherwise, I took some time off, did some stuff I didn't have time to do before : had my car checked, mowed my lawn... I also did a lot of fishing.

Q : The US Open will start on monday without you, what about Davis Cup?

A : I'm still recovering but I think I'll start playing again in a few days. I'm just going to hit a few balls, not too hard, without running. For the semi-finals against Argentina in Lyon (17-19 september), it's true that it might be too soon. I'm going to wait for a few more days before taking my decision. That being said, I should still be at the Gerland stadium, since it's close to my home.

Q : Your patellar tendon suffers from a lesion, it looks like the same injury that has plagued Gilles Simon for the last months...

A : That's true, but Gilles kept playing before the lesion was fully healed, whereas I stopped playing immediately and completely. Though I must say I was "lucky" enough to have already had the same injury on my other knee - the right one - a few years ago

nalbyfan
09-08-2010, 12:38 PM
See l'Equipe (end of the article Clément le 5eme homme) they give (bad) news about Tsonga who will probably need 6 more weeks to recover. He could pull out from Metz ??? He'll have another IRM within 4 weeks

simplet
09-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Damn you scared me. The 6 weeks stuff was about Benneteau who injured himself against Robredo.

It would have been really weird for them to announce Tsonga was out for 6 weeks just at the bottom of a news piece about Clement being a replacement for Davis Cup!

About Tsonga they're saying that he has started playing a week ago, half an hour every day, but no running at all, just hitting balls. He'll take some more exams mid-september.

nalbyfan
09-08-2010, 02:04 PM
Sorry, i didn't read well...but do you think he'll play Metz ???

ImmzB
09-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Is Jo playing Metz?

nalbyfan
09-16-2010, 04:48 PM
He'll have a new IRM this week and will tell if he plays Metz or not

teem
09-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Is Jo playing Metz?

Yes he will, and all the CD team except Simon ... because he's new dady

ImmzB
09-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Thanks.

SelvenluvJo
09-16-2010, 06:39 PM
Yes he will, and all the CD team except Simon ... because he's new dady

good news.hope he could get complete recovery.

teem
09-17-2010, 10:30 AM
ohhoh, last new joe is not ok for metz and simon has received an invitation ... here you have "http://www.lequipe.fr/Tennis/breves2010/20100917_111539_simon-remplace-tsonga.html"
It was today at 11.25 :(

DanaKz
09-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Oh no :crying2:

SelvenluvJo
09-17-2010, 12:11 PM
......my poor Jo

teem
09-17-2010, 12:19 PM
think after that, it's just a question of days, few days, i hope so !
Dana, do you have some news about Gianni ?

DanaKz
09-17-2010, 12:22 PM
think after that, it's just a question of days, few days, i hope so !
Dana, do you have some news about Gianni ?

He'll play Tanger next week. http://www.itftennis.com/mens/tournaments/tournamentacceptancelist.asp?tournament=1100022536&event=&order=Position

I just hope it's Just precaution from Jo's side.

teem
09-17-2010, 12:35 PM
He'll play Tanger next week. http://www.itftennis.com/mens/tournaments/tournamentacceptancelist.asp?tournament=1100022536&event=&order=Position

I think it's not "precaution" it's just he's not ready not quite :angel:

teem
09-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Sorry Dana : 1000 thanks for your answer about Gianni, i'm happy !

nalbyfan
09-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Yesterday Jo said that he could return in Tokyo (when he was interviewed in Lyon during Nalby/Gael)
Wait and see...

DanaKz
10-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Exclusive interview for russian website sports.ru.

This is my first translation into english, so I'm sorry if anything is not right.

http://www.sports.ru/tennis/73763106.html

Headliner star of Kremlin cup decided to talk to sports.ru journalist, and he told us why he lost to serb Victor Troicki, predicted who will win YEC in London and said about his favourite nickname.

-How long did it take to get used to to tournament's surface? Everybody says Moscow's surface is not usual and it take a lot of time to feel a rithm, to feel a court...

- I entered to it from very first game. I wanted to fight, wanted to show good tennis, and sometime I did. But right now I face some issues with phisical preparedness, that's why I lost to Troicki.

- You have negative H2H with Troicki, do you have some problems playing with him?

- You know, I don't feel it's so hard to play with him. He is good as anyone in Top-100, but nothing more than this. Yes, it was hard, because I didn't play about three months, Kremlin Cup is only third tourney after my comeback. I'm trying to find my tennis, I'm going forward step by step, I made another step on this tournament, and will do another on next tournament.

- Have you seen Marat Safin, who invited you to this tournament?

- No, I didn't see him yet. He asked me to come here but didn't come himself (laughter). But I hope I'll see him before I'll get away.

(Marat Safin said to Russian media, that Jo came to Moscow only because he, Marat, asked Jo to come).

- OK, let's change a topic. As I know all french tennis players love music. For example my favourite music channel is MCM...

- Oh yeah, I love french rap!

- Could you please rap us something?

- Hmmm, oh, I don't know, no, thank you, it is not good idea!(laughter)

- OK! Last year I was in Paris on Masters tournament, and one serb journalist asked you who will win YEC, and you said Nikolai Davydenko, and he won! Please, tell me, who will win this year? I'll bet on him!

- (laughter) I don't know, but I say you... Andy Murray.

- You have so many nicknames, what is your favourite one?

- What nicknames do I have? (smiling)

- For example Ali, JoJo, Black Barracuda....

- JoJo? Really? Oh, I like it, let it be JoJo.

- Now tennisplayers love X-Box and Playstation, what do you love?

- X-Box!

(ATP Representative says me my time is over)

- Thank you Jo-Wilfried very much....

- Hey, did you believe I love X-Box?

- Mmmmm... Yeah....

- No! Of course I like Playstation! It's cool!

Certinfy
10-23-2010, 09:50 PM
OMG awesome translation! :worship: :yeah:

Absolutely love the ending of the interview, simply amazing :worship:

SelvenluvJo
10-24-2010, 04:10 AM
thank you Dana

SelvenluvJo
10-24-2010, 04:15 AM
Black Barracuda....

WTF :eek:

BTW,it's a lovely interview,thanks for trans again Dana:worship:

teem
10-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks Dana

Jivone
10-26-2010, 05:37 AM
So Cuuuuute~~~JOJO~ lol
thx dana~

greenhopper
01-21-2011, 07:31 PM
So it seems Jo did a chat session for the Herald Sun (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/australian-open-2011/live-chat-jo-wilfried-tsonga/story-fn77kxzt-1225992289592)

Jo is here now!

[Comment From Johnny boy: ]
Hey Jo. Why do you do those dances when you win?

Hi Johnny Boy. Because people like that. I did it for the first time when I beat Lleyton Hewitt at Queens when I made the top 100 for the first time. People liked it!

[Comment From George: ]
Have you ever heard any of Henri Laconte's commentary? He's very funny when he's watching you or Gael.

Haha. I have heard about it. No comment!!

[Comment From Jenny: ]
What do you think of your next opponent, Alexandr Dolgopolov? Have you ever played him before?

I have played him before at Wimbledon. I beat him in five sets. 10-8 in the fifth last year. It was a tough match. He's a very good player. He plays like no body else, he does a lot of different strokes. He's very difficult to play

[Comment From aussie_boy04: ]
Who do you think will win the Australian Open?

Novak Djokovic. He's playing well

[Comment From Bobbo: ]
Is Muhammed Ali your favourite boxer?

I like him, of course I like him. I think my favourite was Mike Tyson.

[Comment From Rachael: ]
who was your idol growing up?

I liked Pat Rafter. Pete Sampras of course

[Comment From Beau: ]
Jo, what do you like to do when your not playing tennis?

I like to stay with my friends. I like to laugh. I like fishing. I like music. I like dancing!

[Comment From rosemary: ]
Hi Jo-Wilfred, just wanted to wish you luck and ask who do you rate as the best you've ever played?

Of course, Roger Federer at the moment. He's the best in the world

[Comment From clint e: ]
what was your impressions of australia when you where younger compared to now? seeing you have been here a few times now.

Before I thought there was lots of Kangaroos and nothing else. Now I know they love their tennis and there is lots of friendly people

[Comment From Paul Seb: ]
Hey Jo, how do you prepare mentally for such big games against the likes of Roger Federer or Rafael Nadal?

When I play against them I'm the outsider. There's no pressure and I just go out there to play my best and give my all. That's it!

[Comment From Guest: ]
What do you enjoy in Melbourne apart from the tennis?

I go to Crown for dinner. I like the small restaurants in the small streets

have you ever seen A.F.L? Do you like it? Who do You follow?

Yes I've seen it. I don't know a lot about it, I don't know the rules. I've never watched a full game, but I really like it. There are some great athletes that play.

Have you played againts tomic yet? Do you think he could be a star in the making?

No never. I think he can be a good player. He needs to maybe win outside of Australia and I think he'll be a really good player on the tour

[Comment From Matt: ]
whats the hardest thing about playing a night match?

Playing an overhead smash. Sometimes you lose the ball in the lights. For the rest it's really cool to play a night match because the temperature is OK, usually it's not too windy. So it's good

[Comment From Lynsey: ]
Hi Jo! Other than the other French guys, who are some of your friends on the tour?

All of my Davis Cup partners of course are my friends. Other than the French, I have a good relationship with everybody. It's always difficult to have more than small relationships

what are your aims for the season?

Of course to win a major. I think that will be the goal. If I can reach the top five that would be good and to stay healthy as well

[Comment From nas: ]
hi jo, how do you evaluate your participation on this year's australian open?

For the moment it's OK. I played a five set match in the first round. That was tough, but I got through. Yesterday I played well and I'm happy to be in the third round

[Comment From Lou: ]
How are you feeling? Are you completely injury free now?

I feel good. I changed a lot of things in my preparation. So I hope I will be better than the other years. That's always the goal for the new year

when did you start playing tennis?

I started playing at seven. I played soccer and tennis until 13. And then started tennis by itself.

[Comment From Emmah: ]
If you weren't a tennis player, what do you think you would be?

I'd be a soccer player. Eric Cantona is my favourite player

[Comment From Lou: ]
what would you most like to improve about your own game?

Maybe my returns. Novak has the best returns.

[Comment From Martin: ]
which is your best match and why?

My match against against Rafa here in the semi finals in 2008

[Comment From Emily: ]
Jo, what football teams do you follow? I hope to see you in CIncy this year!

I follow Le Mans and Manchester United. Also Marseilles

[Comment From sabrina: ]
hi! is roger as nice as he seen to be...I mean...is he friendly?

He is. He's a really lovely guy

[Comment From daniel: ]
What is your diet? what do you eat and how often? what is your training regieme?

My diet. I try to eat healthy. That's it.

[Comment From DC: ]
Hey Jo what are your favourite Slams?

They are all different. They are all really nice. I cannot say one is better than another. But I like this one because everyone is really relaxed. There is the sun as well. I like Roland Garros because it's in my country. Wimbledon is like my garden.

[Comment From Anon: ]
Do you find it hard to play in the Australian heat?

Of course. It's difficult. But I think for me it's good to play in the heat because other players find it hard.

[Comment From Darren: ]
You always seem to do well in Melbourne. What's your secret? Do you like playing here?

I stay relaxed and cool.

[Comment From john: ]
hi jo,what and where was ur best permanences?

My best performance was here in 2008 when I made the final. Maybe also when I won a Masters event in Paris. I played unbelievable

[Comment From DC: ]
What do you think of Rod Lava Arena? Do you enjoy it?

I love playing there all the time. It's a nice arena. And the fans get behind me all the time. They're really nice with me, even when I play on Margeret Court or court 17, they are always with me and I really like that

I have to go now. Goodbye, thanks for talking with me. And no worries mate! I like that saying

Boomer23
01-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks for that greenhopper !

soulage
03-13-2011, 04:59 PM
All his last interview are a bit worrying. I don't know what's the doctors said but when you decided to change your game because of your body that's serious. Well he still enough good for one shot :). Jo No Limit Tsonga :lol:

: «Où j'en suis de ma carrière ? Qu'est-ce que je cherche vraiment ? Avant je mettais toute ma vie au service d'une idée : la réussite sociale. J'avais les dents qui rayaient le parquet pour mettre ma famille et moi-même à l'abri du besoin. (...) Il fallait trouver un nouveau truc qui me fasse vibrer : je veux y aller à fond dans le tennis d'attaque, jouer pour moi et pour gagner des grands titres. (...) C'est ça le projet : plus de jeu au filet, plus de slice, plus de variations et, surtout, des "winners" direct. J'en ai marre de courir pour défendre. Je ne suis pas fait pour ça. (...) Je veux revenir à un jeu "no limit". Comme au début, sauf qu'aujourd'hui j'ai plus de métier et des bases en fond de court plus solides. Et tant pis si je suis 50e mondial.

JO-WILFRIED TSONGA : «Je fais ce changement car je n'ai pas le choix pour la deuxième partie de ma carrière. Comme je ne tiens pas physiquement, je change les choses. C'est une nouvelle aventure qui commence et comme toujours quand on change, il y a des galères. Mais ça sourira plus tard. Le scénario a un peu dérapé. Je dois avaler quelques pilules avant que ça marche mais j'ai envie de changer d'optique de jeu. Ce n'est pas l'attaque à tout va, mais c'est être plus performant sur service/volée, prendre des balles plus tôt, changer de tempo.» (AFP)

Bashak
03-13-2011, 08:22 PM
спасибо Дана!
я тоже изучаю русский язык. Я не понимаю. :(

(nothing important guys, I just tried to practice my lousy russian skills)

DanaKz
03-15-2011, 07:05 AM
спасибо Дана!
я тоже изучаю русский язык. Я не понимаю. :(

(nothing important guys, I just tried to practice my lousy russian skills)

Привет :) А что именно непонятно?

Bashak
03-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Привет :) А что именно непонятно?
i had to search what you wrote in the dictionary!:rolleyes: Your translation is very clear. thank you. I meant I don't understand the russian language link. i must study more. до свиданья:wavey:

DanaKz
03-16-2011, 05:48 AM
i had to search what you wrote in the dictionary!:rolleyes: Your translation is very clear. thank you. I meant I don't understand the russian language link. i must study more. до свиданья:wavey:

Ok, we'll be glad to chat you in Russian :)

soulage
04-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Shocking news this split with Eric :eek: Jo wants to create his own structure. I found him so strnage since the past weeks.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga a décidé de se séparer de son entraîneur, Eric Winogradsky, après que les deux hommes aient fait équipe pendant sept ans. Le Sarthois, actuellement 17e mondial, a annoncé la fin de leur collaboration ce lundi via un communiqué. « Ce fut une grand aventure humaine et sportive et je tiens à remercier Eric Winogradsky, Cyril Brechbuhl mon préparateur physique ainsi que la Fédération française de tennis pour leur indéfectible soutien. »
Un coach toujours présent
Indéfectible, voilà le mot qui peut qualifier la relation qu'entretenaient Tsonga et "Wino". Car avant de devenir le grand joueur qu'il est, sanctionné d'une finale à Melbourne en 2008 et d'une sixième place mondiale la même année, Tsonga a beaucoup galéré. Présent auprès du Manceau depuis 2004, Eric Winogradsky n'a jamais lâché Tsonga, même quand ce dernier a glissé à la 338e place mondiale, en 2005. Les nombreuses blessures de l'ancien n°1 français (aujourd'hui n°2) n'ont pas non plus entamé la relation entre les deux hommes. Laconiquement, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga a expliqué ce choix par la création de sa « propre structure d'entraînement ». - Rédaction (Avec AFP)

DanaKz
04-04-2011, 05:42 PM
*confused* Sorry, what does it mean "own structure"? I am bad in French but I don't understand this english termin as well

soulage
04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Well Eric and Cyril are employed by FFT. It looks that Jo wants to create his own business outside the FFT. That's what i Understood. Eric says that they spilt at the end of us tourney because Jo wanted to give another way to his carreer to organize himself in others conditions. We have to wait to know more details but for me Jo leaves FFT and will work with his own private structure.

DanaKz
04-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Whoa.
Thank you!

lisebeth
04-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Roger Rasheed twitted a couple of days ago that he was going to have a workout session with Jo and Gael Monfils. i'm a little confused... are they working together now??

teem
04-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Roger Rasheed twitted a couple of days ago that he was going to have a workout session with Jo and Gael Monfils. i'm a little confused... are they working together now??

don't be :o it's just that they live in suisse and roger is coming back from australia to work with gael, so, it's a good player's partner isn't it ?

Eden
05-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Mr. Spontaneity: Tsonga Flies Solo

DEUCE
by James Buddell

http://www.atpworldtour.com/~/media/7632B6F227114AEA8B0A0B1BDA6CCBB9.ashx
© Yohan Brandt

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is hopeful of a return to the Top 10, and believes that enjoying his time on court will allow him to play his best tennis.

Without a coach for the first time in seven years, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga is hoping to build on the lessons he learned in 2008 in order to regain the spontaneity in his game.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, the breath of fresh air that swept through men’s tennis in 2008, has sometimes found it difficult to adjust to a life in the media spotlight. “I think when I first came onto tour, I played well, but then with results there was lots more expectation and off-court interest as I rose up the rankings,” admitted Tsonga, at the Internazionali BNL d'Italia.

“It was difficult to categorise every part of my life. It was tough to be recognised, as outside of the court I am really quiet and private. Now I am trying to relax before matches. I think I just need to play without thinking and without pressure also.”

It is one of the reasons why in April this year he parted company with his French Tennis Federation coach of seven years, Eric Winogradsky, who had previously nurtured Richard Gasquet onto the ATP World Tour. “It was difficult to end my partnership with Eric,” says Tsonga, who rose to a career-high World No. 6 and picked up five ATP World Tour titles under Winogradsky’s guidance. “He took me on when I was 19 and influenced the first part of my career.

“I am not working anymore with a coach. I just play to have fun, play my best tennis, take pleasure from the fight [in a match] and that’s it. I want to be spontaneous and not have any outside influence. I just want to be me, so I don’t have any regrets.

“I am not asking anyone for advice. I want to figure tactics, everything out for myself. I want to mature more as a person and find the spontaneity that has been missing. Since I have been alone I have been playing better every week [smiling], so I will stay like this. Maybe I will need advice later, but for now I’m fine.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-Roland-Garros-Wimbledon-2011/~/media/BFDBEAFE5C2541A4BE24411E6404B63D.ashx

Patrick Mouratoglou, who currently coaches Jeremy Chardy, is uncertain whether Tsonga can return to the Top 10 of the South African Airways 2011 ATP Rankings without a coach. “In my experience, it is not possible for anyone to reach the Top 10 without a coach,” says Mouratoglou. “All the players have someone, even Roger Federer had Severin Luthi when he was claiming he had no coach.”

But Mouratoglou appreciates Tsonga’s present need for independence. “I understand that Jo needs, for the moment, to feel freer and to play the way he feels it. In the short term, I believe it will help him get in touch with himself. It is like a love relationship, when it is very difficult to live another love story right after breaking up with someone.

“Jo needs time to get ready for a new professional relationship. He still can become much better than he has ever been. He has a lot of potential. He is one of the players that have the shots and the game to win a Grand Slam. For that purpose, he needs a new project for him and his game.”

Many purists will hope that Tsonga’s body will remain fit enough so he can recapture the kind of athletic and dynamic displays that once transfixed the imagination of galleries worldwide. He outmuscled the opposition from their stride, forcing them into hitting a succession of defensive shots in response to booming service deliveries that kick-started his acrobatic game, and produced blistering forehands that scrambled their minds.

“I haven’t changed my technique on different strokes, but the way I approach the sport has changed,” he says. “I try to be perfect in my preparation, working with the best people and make a serious investment in that. My fitness and work with my physio have become even more important. Now I feel good.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-Roland-Garros-Wimbledon-2011/~/media/E31B5BFF60B04A77BCD337FFDCCE46A2.ashx

So can Tsonga play without fear once again on court, despite all his setbacks, and put together a run of strong performances tournament after tournament? Marcos Baghdatis’s former mentor, Mouratoglou, thinks so.

“For each player there is a certain level of fear, confidence and motivation all the time,” believes Mouratoglou. “Fear is the enemy that confidence and motivation can fight with. All those three elements are constantly moving, and that explains why sometimes it is easier for a player to fight against his fear.

“In the exceptional case of Novak Djokovic right now – and Rafael Nadal last year – there will still be a lot of fear because his expectations rise and rise. But his level of confidence is so high that he can easily fight against it. All the players need this stress, because without it they cannot be efficient on the court.

“In Jo’s case, he has a very strong personality. He has never been afraid to show his ambitions. He needs adrenaline and challenges to be better. He knows it. That is why he often puts a lot of pressure on himself because his tennis needs it. He is a great fighter with a strong ego and this is what makes him so competitive. He brings a lot of confidence and power. Players feel strong being close to him in the same team.”

At 26 years of age, Tsonga's body may no longer be the supple and agile frame that took him to the Australian Open final and BNP Paribas Masters title three seasons ago. But by attempting to regain the spontaneity and fluidity of his vintage performances, Tsonga hopes he will be able to dish out more savage lessons on smothering his rivals.

“I still love the sport, even more than a year ago, when it was difficult for me,” he says. “I still love playing on the grand stages and I want to take a lot of pleasure on the court, so that I can play my best tennis. In the next few months I want to be back in the Top 10 and start winning titles again.”

Source: http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/DEUCE-Tennis/DEUCE-Roland-Garros-Wimbledon-2011/Jo-Wilfried-Tsonga.aspx

Boomer23
05-21-2011, 05:13 PM
From l'équipe, yesterday :

http://nsa19.casimages.com/img/2011/05/21/mini_11052106160323884.jpg (http://www.casimages.com/img.php?i=11052106160323884.jpg)

the graduate
05-25-2011, 07:47 PM
does anyone know where Didier Tsonga is havent seen him in a long time.is he still married to Tsonga s mom...divorced ha

DanaKz
11-18-2011, 07:28 AM
So? Is it true?

According the caption this girl is the girlfriend of Tsonga. I don't know if it's true :confused:

http://www.newscom.com/nc/wmark/Newscom-abausaphotos613505?inputPath=/db/ABA/abausaphotos/docs/613/505.thm&fname=abausaphotos613505
France's Jo Wilfried Tsonga girlfriend Charlotte attends the BNP Paris Masters indoor tennis tournament at the Palais Omnisports Paris-Bercy in Paris

Bashak
11-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Cute, she looks a bit like the blonde stewardess from the Pan Am tv show. Too bad he lost to Federer, such an anti-climactic last game.

julia_gu
11-21-2011, 02:16 AM
does anyone know where Didier Tsonga is havent seen him in a long time.is he still married to Tsonga s mom...divorced ha

His father went to see the match against Federer

soulage
04-17-2012, 05:30 PM
L'equipe sport and style

http://images4.hiboox.com/vignettes/1612/40bf1b17f29b2ee52e74c87cde1e32e8.jpg (http://www.hiboox.fr/go/images/divers/,40bf1b17f29b2ee52e74c87cde1e32e8.jpg.html)

http://images4.hiboox.com/vignettes/1612/632a9a70f463b40f6bffa17991a1402b.jpg (http://www.hiboox.fr/go/images/divers/,632a9a70f463b40f6bffa17991a1402b.jpg.html)

http://images4.hiboox.com/vignettes/1612/2d3a2f7db9ce8ee1c3d13c2926c817d4.jpg (http://www.hiboox.fr/go/images/divers/,2d3a2f7db9ce8ee1c3d13c2926c817d4.jpg.html)

http://images4.hiboox.com/vignettes/1612/c73584cf64d32ac6b1477a33641cf554.jpg (http://www.hiboox.fr/go/images/divers/,c73584cf64d32ac6b1477a33641cf554.jpg.html)

soulage
09-29-2012, 03:32 PM
long and interesting interview in l'equipe magazine today.

Ace20
10-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Tsonga: Frenchmen should emulate Spanish camaraderie

http://cdn.tennis.com/uploads/img/2013/10/13/tsonga/article.jpg

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga says that France players should emulate the camaraderie and competitive spirit Spanish men exhibit.

“We do everything to change this statistic that we didn't win a lot of Davis Cup and we don't have players in the top five,” Tsonga told reporters. “Maybe we still need time and is gonna happen. But for the moment, we have to work and we have to be all together. We have to push each other towards the top or motivate each other towards the top. We have to work together like the Spanish guys did. They always have dinner together. They always spend time together. They discuss a lot. I think it make Spain have a really good spirit. We are close, but we have to be more close.”

Both nations have seven men ranked in the top 50, but Spain has two Top 5 players in Rafael Nadal and David Ferrer, while France does not have a Top 5-ranked man. Tsonga, the 2008 Australian Open runner-up, is the only member of his generation of Frenchmen to have reached a Grand Slam singles final. Tsonga said he believes a Frenchman can break through and win a major.

“I think we have the potential to [have a Grand Slam champion],” Tsonga said. “But the potential is not enough; we have to do it. We have some players who play semis sometimes. I think we're already able to do a little bit more.”

Ace20
10-14-2013, 05:20 AM
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

SHANGHAI, CHINA

J. TSONGA/F. Mayer
6‑2, 6‑3

Q. Can you talk about your knee injury, how difficult it was during that time.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: It was not that hard at the beginning because I was in holidays. But, of course, after few days, few weeks, the game miss me. I missed the game, sorry.

Q. The game missed you, too.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I missed the game and it was tough to see my friends play. I was home watching on TV.
But anyway, you know, sometime it's good because it make your mind clear, so after that you come back sometimes stronger. That's what I will try to do.

Q. Are you 100% now?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I'm feeling good. I still have some problem with my knee. But the pain is not enough strong, you know, to leave me out of the court.
But I still have a tough match like I played yesterday. After that sometimes, you know, I have a little feeling on my knee. So I have to take care of it, be careful.
I'm not at 100% anyway because I didn't play for two months. So to find back the good shape, it takes time. But I try to play 100% of what I can do.

Q. Could you talk about your recent play against Novak, what you need to do against him differently. You used to have a pretty good record against him, but you lost the last eight times.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, I lost against him few matches. Some I was really close; some others I was really far. But the only thing I know, I'm sure I can play a better tennis than what I played the other match.
So, you know, I'm looking for this tennis, and that's it. I hope it will come soon if I have to play against him tomorrow.
But of course, you know, he was the No.1 for many, many weeks, and he was playing well, he was confident. I think he lost more matches this year than the other years, so maybe it's an opportunity for me to do my first win if I have to play against him.

Q. Can you talk about today's match.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Today I played well. What can I say? Yeah, I played well. That's it. I had some trouble to finish the match. But, yeah, in general I played good tennis.

Q. Both Spain and France have the same amount of players in the top 50. I think it's seven. We tend to think of Spain as the more dominant nation at the top of the game. Why do you think France doesn't get similar recognition?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: That's a good question (smiling).

Q. Thank you.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Of course, I don't have solution. But we do everything to change this statistic that we didn't win a lot of Davis Cup and we don't have players in the top five. Maybe we still need time and is gonna happen.
But for the moment, we have to work and we have to be all together. We have to push each other towards the top or motivate each other towards the top.
We have to work together like the Spanish guys did. They always have dinner together. They always spend time together. They discuss a lot. I think it make Spain, you know, have a really good spirit. Yeah, that's it.

Q. So are you saying you guys are not quite that close; you're more independent of each other?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: We are close, but we have to be more close (smiling).

Q. Do you think there's a Grand Slam champion amongst you?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, I think we have the potential to do that. But the potential is not enough; we have to do it. We have some players who play semis sometimes. I think we're already able to do a little bit more.

Q. Can you talk about your decision to split with Roger Rasheed? Do you plan on hiring a new coach or going by yourself?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, I don't want to explain myself about it because we have our own reason, and we will keep it for us.
But, anyway, for me it was a good experience to work with him. I learned a lot. He make me to be a better player anyway, and that's it. And now I'm looking for a new structure around me, and I will tell you when it's going to be fixed.

Q. Do you plan on addressing it while the season is still going or after the season?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I mean, this is the end of the season anyway, so I will tell you soon.

Ace20
10-14-2013, 05:21 AM
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

SHANGHAI, CHINA

N. DJOKOVIC/J. Tsonga
6‑2, 7‑5

Q. You started off slowly in the first set, but came back strongly in the second. Talk about the game.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, it was a great set at the beginning. I didn't serve enough good in the first set to cause him some trouble, but after that I played better and better. I served better. I was more into it. So for him it was a bit more trouble, but it's still 7‑5.
That's it. What can I say? Nothing special.

Q. Physically how are you feeling? Do you plan on playing Vienna next week?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, I feel okay. I will see in a few hours how is my knee, how I'm feeling. But for the moment I'm going to Vienna.

Q. With the World Tour Finals pretty near and Andy Murray not going, there's still a few places to grab. Is this on your mind? Are you planning to try your best to get there or you're just trying to get your level back?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, I mean, anyway, I have to play if I want to go. I will play, and that's it. I cannot do something special to go there. I just have to play and try to win as much as possible. That's it.

Q. It's your first semifinals since Queen's. Is it a matter of getting fully fit now for next season?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I'm going better and better. Today I played well in the second set. I know I can play a lot better. So I will continue to work. Yeah, I will continue on my way. I think I'm on a good way. That's it.

Ace20
10-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Tsonga close to naming coach

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga says he is nearing a decision on a new coach but won't make any announcement until a deal is done.

The Frenchman fighting for a place in the eight-man season finals in London next month is top seed at the Austrian Open and begins in the second round after a bye when he faces German Daniel Brands.

Tsonga, who missed nearly three months of play over the summer with a knee injury, said he will soon have a new mentor after splitting in September from Australian Roger Rasheed, who also formerly coached Gael Monfils.

"I'm looking for a coach and I'm getting close to one," Tsonga said in his only words on the subject.

The former Australian Open finalist has gone it alone in the past, playing without a coach in 2011 before picking up Rasheed after the Australian ended with Monfils.

World number eight Tsonga is coming off a Shanghai semi-final last week, losing to eventual champion Novak Djokovic.

Tsonga stands provisional ninth in the field for the World Tour Finals from November 4, but needs to keep earning ranking points if he is to be assured of making the trip.

He is trying to stay ahead of a pursing pack led by compatriot Richard Gasquet and Canadian Milos Raonic.

The Frenchman said he is still playing at less than 100 per cent on his knee, but has been cleared by doctors to compete.

Tsonga won the Vienna title in 2011, his only previous appearance, and in his eyes he is defending that crown after not playing here in 2012.

"I'm feeling good and I'm fresh in my head," said the player starting his fourth event in the last five weeks since making his return.

DBR
10-28-2013, 01:19 PM
From Paris-Bercy tournament twitter ...

BNP PARIBAS MASTERS @ bnppmasters 6m
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga announced that he will train with the duo Nicolas Escudé - Thierry Ascione, coaches he will share with Nicolas Mahut.

BNP PARIBAS MASTERS ‏@bnppmasters 6m
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga annonce qu'il va s'entraîner avec le duo Nicolas Escudé - Thierry Ascione, coaches qu'il va partager avec Nicolas Mahut.

Ace20
10-29-2013, 04:43 AM
Tsonga takes Escude and Ascione as coaches

AFP - French number one Jo-Wilfried Tsonga has chosen compatriots Nicolas Escude and Thierry Ascione as his new joint coaches, replacing Roger Rasheed.

"The fact that they are two is an advantage as it means I can get different perspectives on my game," said Tsonga ahead of the Paris Masters tournament, which started on Monday.

"They have already proven themselves as far as I am concerned. Thierry has worked very well with all the players he has had in the last few years and helped them progress. I am thinking of Nicolas Mahut and Kristina Mladenovic.

"Nicolas has less experience as a coach but he was Fed Cup captain and that is a big plus. In any case it is not so much what he has done as a coach that matters - more what he achieved as a player."

Escude was France's Fed Cup captain from 2008 to 2022 and as a player he won the Davis Cup with France in 2001, defeating Australia in the final in Melbourne.

Currently ranked ninth in the world, Tsonga parted company with Rasheed in August, having been with Lleyton Hewitt's former coach since October 2012.

Prior to that his long-time coach had been Frenchman Eric Winogradsky from 2004 to 2011.

Tsonga has been in the world top 10 for several years but has yet to win one of the four Grand Slam titles.

Ace20
10-30-2013, 04:28 PM
Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

PARIS, FRANCE

K. NISHIKORI/J. Tsonga
1‑6, 7‑6, 7‑6

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French, please.

Q. Your knee was hurting? You had cramps?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: It was more cramps than the pain in my knee. It's a bit complicated, because I'm not fit enough. It was difficult for me to practice lately. I was perspiring a lot, and there was the tension because of the match.
From the start today I put into that match a lot of intensity. I really wanted to do my best. I didn't want to think about my knee. I wanted to give it all, and my knee reminded me it was there.

Q. Yeah, for you, Bercy is very special and you wanted to be here, but at the same time you can't because your knee is not totally ready and you're not fit; so you were sort of caught in between the two?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yes, that's right, but I chose to play. I could have beaten many players today, and I believe he played a very solid match. I believe he managed well, because I could have won that match. He was very solid, especially during the important moments of the match.
I have seen myself be in better shape, but a few weeks ago. That's what my physio was saying just now that normally I shouldn't even be here. We even wondered if we would totally stop or if we would continue the season, and I decided to continue this season.
I thought it was better, and I think I'm happy because now I won some points, I'm not in the Masters, so we decided to go to the end.
So I must say that in the match today it's not only the pain in the knee that prevented me from winning. I think it was mainly the cramps.
I went to the end of what I could do, and now I have time to prepare for the next season.

Q. Both of you had cramps in the third set. I think he had a massage on his left leg. But in the tiebreaker, at the end he made aces; you made double faults. Was the difference a mental difference?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I don't know. I played him two weeks ago and he totally collapsed physically at the end. I don't know if it's a mental thing, because I was very pumped up today. I was very solid in my mind and I was happy with what I was doing.
I don't know. What is your definition of mental ability? If he we don't have the same definition, the question is biased.

Q. During the first set and a bit more even, was that the only moment since Metz where you were really able to lean on your leg and move right?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yes, yes. I can see something positive there because it's the only match where I could play as I play usually. I haven't played like that for a long time.
I played the kind of tennis I have to play all the time, and that's why I'm not totally down. I believe there is something I can do for the future.
Of course, I really have to improve my physical condition. I have to work a lot and very hard during the break. But if I'm able to play very solid matches like I played for the first set, it's going to be good.

Q. So that means you're not going to stop? Are you going to rest?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, yeah, I'm going to rest and I'll start again. I think I'll have a break, two‑week break.

Q. And if you're a substitute for the Masters, are you going to go?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I don't know.

Q. You said you wanted to give it all. Do you believe your two coaches supported you in this? Did they say, Go ahead, go ahead, or did they say something else?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No, no, they supported me. If I decide to go on the court, it means that I will give it all. That's for sure. That was the first tournament we were doing together. But I hope there will be many others after that.

sirbenson
11-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Hi all, I am a Tsonga fan and a new member, just saying hello

Ace20
01-03-2014, 04:55 PM
Tsonga talks Slams, subdued reception in Roland Garros semi

http://cdn.tennis.com/uploads/img/2014/01/03/Tsonga/article.jpg

France’s Jo-Wilfried Tsonga discusses the subdued reception he received from the Parisian crowd during his loss to David Ferrer in the 2013 Roland Garros semifinals.

“It affected me because I saw that the people weren’t supporting me a lot because when I came on the court the stadium was half empty,” Tsonga told Sport360. “Because there was a long match before me [Rafael Nadal’s five-set win over Novak Djokovic] and they all went out to do other things. It was half empty in my own country. But I didn’t lose because of this. I lost that match because I think David played well.”

The 28-year-old Frenchman still believes he can win a major. The world No. 10 has only reached one Grand Slam final—at the 2008 Australian Open, where he fell to Novak Djokovic—and has only won a single Masters tournament, the 2008 Paris Indoors.

“If I think I’m not able to achieve it I will stop,” he said. “I’m not that kind of guy who will play just for playing and be on the tour. I don’t care. I have family, I make a lot of sacrifices to play tennis, even if it’s my passion, so I’m doing it just because I really believe that I can do something great.

“I’m not doing it for recognition from people. I’m doing it for me. Because when I was young I had a dream to win a Grand Slam and whatever people think, I just try to do everything in a good way and I hope it will happen.”

Ace20
01-03-2014, 05:03 PM
Interview: Mature Tsonga motivated for Major 2014

http://www.sport360.com/sites/default/files/styles/x644/public/article/tsonga2.jpg?itok=ysh44rxP
New start: Tsonga kicked off the new season in impressive fashion in Abu Dhabi

Tennis players do not get more charismatic nor entertaining than Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

The 28-year-old’s run to the Australian Open final in 2008 remains one of the most impressive surprises at a major in recent years and as he enters the season with a new team, comprising joint coaches Thierry Ascione and Nicolas Escude, Tsonga seems fresh and ready for 2014.

He kicked off his season in Abu Dhabi where he played Andy Murray, Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal on consecutive days and if his form in those matches is anything to go by, we can expect good things from the ever- smiling Frenchman.

Sport360°’s Reem Abulleil caught up with Tsonga in the UAE capital...

This year will be your 11th on tour, how do you compare your mentality now as a player to when you were starting out and how do you make sure you’re still motivated?

It works in periods. Today I have a lot of motivation. I’m ready to make all the sacrifices to be at the top, that’s what I want the most. So today I’m fresh. I have a different personality because I’ve grown up and I’m more mature and I know exactly what I want. Before it was a bit different.

Do you think it’s easier sometimes in tennis if you’re young and reckless and not really aware of the magnitude of things to achieve big feats or is tennis today more about being mature?

It’s better when you’re young and you’re physically fresh and you can run everywhere without problems and when you get older you have to deal with some physical problems and stuff and that’s what makes it a bit more difficult. But then you have the experience which is important too. Both ways, you can play when you are young and a little bit less younger.

http://www.sport360.com/sites/default/files/styles/x644/public/459790583-%28Read-Only%29.gif?itok=pvafGbqV

You had your best Roland Garros, your home slam, in 2013, making it to the semis for the first time. Was there too much pressure on you?

I was in my tournament, I didn’t feel anything. I didn’t watch TV and I didn’t read any papers. I was just trying to do what I’m doing the best and that’s it. But when people support me it’s always positive pressure anyway. It’s good to know that people are behind you and want you to win.

Did the defeat to David Ferrer in the semi-finals affect you for a long time?

It affected me because I saw that the people weren’t supporting me a lot because when I came on the court the stadium was half empty. Because there was a long match before me ( between Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic) and they all went out to do other things.

It was half empty in my own country. But I didn’t lose because of this. I lost that match because I think David played well.

He didn’t give me too many opportunities to develop my game and then I missed two shots that put me in trouble and that’s it. But sometimes in tennis it’s going quick, there are a few important points and if you don’t deal with them well you just lose.

The game right now is dominated by baseline players, do you think you need to add some elements to your game to be able to keep up with them, especially that you have a more aggressive style?

For the moment I’m not a serve and volley player. I’m a little bit in the middle, because I play good tennis from the baseline and I also go to the net.

So I think I still have to find the right balance between both of them and like that maybe I’ll be a better player. That’s what I’m looking for and that’s what I’m practicing for.

http://www.sport360.com/sites/default/files/styles/x644/public/tsonga.jpg?itok=EMU-GVWT

You spent a couple of years without a coach and had great results, but now you have two, Nicolas Escude and Thierry Ascione. Was it difficult adapting to life with coaches again?

I had coaches since I was eight years old. So I didn’t have a coach for maybe two years and for me it was just the possibility to escape because during that time I was a bit tired of it. tired of everything around it.

So I said ‘I need some time and rebuild myself’. And now I have those two coaches who are good and I’m doing a good job with them since we started and I hope it will continue.

What’s the advantage of working with Thierry and Nicolas?

They played a good level of tennis so they know what they’re talking about it. They’re young, so they give me a lot of positive attitude... this freshness, which is nice.

We are from the same generation so they can understand me and I think that we can do some good work together. The challenge to many players now is to be able to beat Nadal, Djokovic back-to- back over best-of-five matches in majors.

Do you think you will be up to that task this year?

If I think I’m not able to achieve it I will stop. I’m not that kind of guy who will play just for playing and be on the tour, I don’t care. I have family, I make a lot of sacrifices to play tennis, even if it’s my passion, so I’m doing it just because I really believe that I can do something great.

I’m not doing it for recognition from people. I’m doing it for me. Because when I was young I had a dream to win a Grand Slam and whatever people think, I just try to do everything in a good way and I hope it will happen.

You’ve been coming to the Abu Dhabi event for quite some time, do you feel there’s a big difference in the level of interest here year after year?

These kind of events, it’s already big. They’ve got six of the top-10 players in the world, five of the six best players in the world. You can do a lot of things but for that you need a big organisation and maybe a really big tournament to do a bit more.

I think they know what they have to do. If you see how it goes in other countries like England, France, Australia, they have majors and when you have a major you are able to do many things because it’s huge in the country.

Ace20
03-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Tsonga Coach

Nicolas Escudé, Tsonga's coach, in l'Equipe: This win was a bit of a miracle. I'm pleased with it, but you won't get me to say it was a turning point. It was painful right to the end. but Jo went and got the win... It's his first big fight of the season.

(Returning) It's a focus of our work. It's never been his strong point. It needs to become automatic. And he has to do what we talked about from the beginning of the match. To know to cut off the trajectory of the shot instead of waiting on his heels for it.

When we see the doubt Djokovic had at a certain point, you see that even the best can be caught in a spiral. Don't forget that Jo did nothing for the last three months of the season. And when he started up again, he was on one leg. To get the mechanics in place, you can't hold back.

Ace20
03-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Tsonga's angry remarks to journos yesterday

Tsonga's angry remarks to journos yesterday as reported in l'Equipe: You didn't think I was dynamic, is that it? What do you really know, basically? To you take the spin of the ball into account or the weight of shot? Doesn't my opponent have the right to be good? Saying I played badly is almost insulting to him. I come back from the locker room where there's almost a kind of euphoria and I hear that ...It's starting to piss me off. My game is on track, it just doesn't disappear like that. I thought it was a good match. I had a good attitude, I was firm in key moments, I served nothing but bullets.

Ace20
04-19-2014, 06:00 AM
MONTE-CARLO ROLEX MASTERS

April 15, 2014

J. TSONGA/P. Kohlschreiber
6‑4, 1‑6, 6‑4

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French.

Q. What happened to you in the second set? Were you injured, sick?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I just had a bad period. I felt my legs were very hard. I didn't feel well, so I called the doctor to explain what was happening and that this was unusual.
He gave me homeopathic treatment.

Q. Does this worry you for what is coming up next?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No. It's maybe because I practiced too much or I didn't manage the amount of effort I made.

Q. For the rest of the match, how did you feel on the court?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Well, as I said, I was tired so it was a bit complicated for me. Fortunately I had an early break in the first set and I was able to hold my serve. But I knew it was going to be tough.
Then I had this letdown in the second set. I was able to hang in there in the third set, and he ended up letting it go.

Q. What about your next match, Fognini or Bautista?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Both are good players. They force you to play many shots. You must be ready to play them.

Q. Which one would you prefer?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Maybe Bautista because Fabio is playing like at home here.

Q. What about the transition from hard courts?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I didn't play much on clay, as you know. After Davis Cup I needed to rest. I was tired especially going into the Davis Cup after the American tour. I took some days off. I came here on Friday. I didn't have much time on clay yet.

Q. Given the level of game of Kohlschreiber, do you believe it was better he was not at the Davis Cup?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I didn't think about that. But maybe, yes, it's better he wasn't there because he's able to play very good matches.
But I don't believe he has a positive record against me or Gaël.

Q. Do you feel pressure because of the points you have to defend?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I try not to think about it. It's just there. Every year I'm told, You made the quarterfinals of the French, you have points to defend. You made the semis in Wimbledon, you have points to defend.
But, anyway, I always have points to defend every week. It's usual. I just take this as routine.

Q. Rafa says he just takes care of the ongoing year and doesn't think about previous years. Might be a good idea.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Well, yes. I look forward to what's coming up.

Ace20
04-19-2014, 06:03 AM
MONTE-CARLO ROLEX MASTERS

April 17, 2014

J. TSONGA/F. Fognini
5‑7, 6‑3, 6‑0

THE MODERATOR: Questions in French, please.

Q. Could you explain to us what happened on the point which seemed to be a decisive point. It was a breakpoint for you. You were 30‑40, 4‑3. He served. The ball was called out, but it was good. He was so angry he wanted to change the linesman. You broke him.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: This is part of the game. I returned that serve, and it was not easy to play my return. But, of course, he heard the call. But the point had to be played anyway.
We like Fabio when he gives you the match like this (smiling).

Q. Obviously you are pleased with this victory. But what happened in the first set?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: He was playing very well. I was not very good with my serve. The percentage of first serves was not high enough. He was playing well, coming into the net, being aggressive.
But little by little the match became more even. In the middle of the second set, I started serving better. At the end I was able to dominate physically, and it was more difficult for him to win the long rallies that he was winning more easily in the first set.
For me how you feel physically and mentally is very closely linked. If you go on the court knowing you are not going to suffer physically, it makes a difference.
Today I felt a lot better than the first day, where my legs felt very heavy. Today I knew I could stay on the court for a long time.
In the beginning he was better than I was physically, but I made him play each point and I made no unforced errors. This was useful because at a certain stage then I was above him. At the end, of course, he was complaining about his thigh, but he always has something. Sometimes it's the umpire, sometimes it's the thigh, sometimes it's the wind (smiling).

Q. Is that easy to manage?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No, it's not easy to manage, but I have a very precise directive before I step onto the court. I knew it could turn around at any time. My task was to make it as difficult for him as possible.

Q. In the fifth game you saved two breakpoints. In the seventh game you saved four. At that stage were you afraid you could lose the match?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I knew I could lose it. Sometimes tennis is a matter of a few points. But also you know that as long as you're not shaking the hand of your opponent everything is possible and you have to hang in there.

Q. At first you didn't make many aces. In the fifth and seventh game you started making many aces. Is it because you can only be focused on important points?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I don't know. It's just that when you play on clay, you have a sort of system you're playing with. You know, even if your opponent knows where you're going to put the ball, if you do it well, you know he's not going to be able to return.
But on those breakpoints, I do change the spots where I serve.

Q. Happy birthday.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Thank you.

Q. You say very often that time goes by so quickly.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I don't say that anymore (laughter).
I believe a good part of my career is behind me and I still have a piece of my career left ahead of me. I have more maturity and I hope I can use it to my advantage.

Q. You seemed to be bothered by the sun. You put your cap on in the second set. Also your shoes seemed to bother you.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Well, yes, I had a little problem with my shoes. As for the sun, when it comes into my eyes, I can see stars. I lost a few points because of that. But there's nothing I can do about it.

Q. Fabio was talking to his father a lot. Were you listening to what they were saying?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No. But in the end they were talking so loud I couldn't help hearing.
I think they were saying in Italian, It's your fault, it's your fault. But Fabio is always like this. This is why we love him. He's a friend. But also I know that, if you let him, he's going to take 10 minutes before he plays the next point. I can't let him do that.

Q. Is it the first time that your opponent started complaining with the first point of the whole match?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Well, yes.

Q. If you were to play Federer, what are your thoughts? It would be a good opportunity of repeating the match of last year.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: It would be great. It will help me maybe go a step further. Like L'Équipe said, I'm not going to fight on the court if it is not to win in the end.

Q. You said you were feeling stronger physically. Your win against Fognini, is it a signal you're sending to the other players?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No. This is not enough. I want to win more matches. I want to do better than before.

Ace20
04-19-2014, 03:18 PM
From Twitter

@markalannixon Tsonga after the Federer match quoted in l'Equipe by @carole_bouchard: I have the impression of not getting very far. Of missing a big opportunity, no, but it was an opportunity.

The game conditions changed during the match, it got colder and colder, the balls were less lively and bounced less so I bothered him less and I had trouble putting weight on the shots. He got shots thigh high and that's where he's strongest. It got harder and harder to hit the shots out of his reach and I found myself forcing things and getting into difficulty.

I got broken at the start of the third set, and he after that, he was Roger: he accelerated while I was decelerating. It was complicated.

I have to get back to work. The target is Roland-Garros, and there are a few tournaments and a few weeks of training to lift my level. The objective is to work and be consistent during practice sessions to achieve that. I need to turn myself around and move on. I can play better than that.

Ace20
04-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Monte Carlo: Federer d. Tsonga

http://cdn.tennis.com/uploads/img/2014/04/18/1404181032379560953_o/article.jpg

Some matches are defined by one key shot or rally. Roger Federer’s 2-6, 7-6 (6), 6-1 win over Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Monte Carlo on Friday was defined by one key stat: Federer’s break-point conversion rate. He was two of 19.

Over the course of the first two sets, Tsonga always seemed to be serving; and every time you turned around, he was facing another break point. At one stage late in the second set, Jo had served 68 points, while Federer had served exactly half that many at 34. The pattern was the same throughout: Federer would come up with something brilliant—a topspin lob winner, a flick backhand pass, a strong forehand down the line—to reach break point, and then Tsonga would wipe it away.

Federer’s break points turned into a chess match, as Jo came up with different ways to survive them. He used his wide kick serve to draw short returns from Federer, and when that became predictable, he sent a surprise bomb down the T. Between them, the two players found a seemingly infinite variety of ways to keep Federer from breaking. Federer flipped a short backhand into the net. He shanked a backhand pass wide. He chose the wrong direction with an easy forehand pass. Jo knocked off a down-the-line forehand. He rifled a service winner. He wedged an inside-in forehand approach into the corner on one point, then wedged one inside-out on the next. Early in the second set, after Federer knifed a slow second-serve return into the bottom of the net, he shook his head and smiled sarcastically. Two games later, he bashed a ball out of the stadium and received a rare warning from the chair umpire.

The odd thing was that while Tsonga spent the match perpetually teetering on the brink, he very nearly won it in straight sets. Up 6-2, 3-2, Jo reached break point on Federer’s serve. But he backed up on a backhand and put it in the net. Twenty minutes later, after saving three more break points, Tsonga went up 0-30 on Federer’s serve at 5-6—two more points and it was over. At 0-30, Jo took a big cut at a forehand and landed it near the baseline, but Federer was there to reflex it back on the short hop; Tsonga’s next forehand went astray. At 15-30, Federer shanked a forehand that dropped inside the baseline, and clipped the net cord with another forehand, before winning the point, and eventually the game.

Finally, in the second-set tiebreaker, Tsonga saved three set points from 3-6 down, only to pull the trigger too early at 6-6 and fire a forehand into the net. When Federer won the next point, and the set, with a forehand volley, the crowd stood. Jo, understandably, slumped.

From there, it felt like it was only a matter of time before Federer broke through and Tsonga broke down. It happened quickly, in Jo’s second service game. He managed to save break points number 14 and 15, but not number 16—a forcing inside-out forehand approach from Federer made sure of that. Tsonga threw up a backhand lob that landed long. He might as well have been throwing up a white flag.

Aggressive but erratic, Federer hit 40 winners, made 45 errors, and was 21 of 28 at the net. His excellence in tiebreakers saved him from his dismal break-point percentage. He got angry, but he never went away. Persistence, rather than prettiness, pulled Federer through today.

Ace20
05-08-2014, 01:47 AM
Tsonga: "Better than me"
Clearly beaten in the second round by the Colombian Santiago Giraldo (6-4, 6-3) on Wednesday in Madrid, Jo-Wilfried Tsonga slow to produce his best tennis when Roland Garros approaching (May 25-June 8) . But he did not care, saying that conditions are far from Madrid game in Paris ...

http://medias.lequipe.fr/img-photo-jpg/tsonga-meilleur-que-moi/1500000000408780/0:67,2048:1100-665-335-70/60dd3.jpg

Jo -Wilfried Tsonga, how do you explain your failure?
A hot it is not obvious to analyze this defeat. I have a small window of opportunity early in the first set ( break point ) , which I rate a setback a little easier. After he breake me a game where I do not play very, very well , you must be honest . And from there , he played really well , there is not much to say, it was better than me.

It has surprised you?
He was able to take his chance when needed , making a perfect copy , quotes. He returns very well , plays forward and surprises arriving to hit hard from afar, when you do not expect .

However, you do not have always seemed fully engaged in the fight ...
( smile las) When I complain too much, blame myself . If I do not rattle , I am told that I am not quite in the fight ... I tried to stay in my game , do my thing and hope it runs, but it was good until the end , here .

What could you have done better or ?
A bit of everything , of course. I would especially like achieve this break point at the beginning ...

This tournament you worried about the rest of the season on clay?
Here is a little different (in terms of playing conditions ) , it is particularly , it goes fast, because underneath it's hard ; this is not real clay. If I wanted to play well here, I would have prepared on this kind of surface. The coming weeks , it will be something else, at least I hope . In any case, this is not a defeat at Roland Garros ... "

Ace20
05-09-2014, 06:54 PM
From Twitter

Tsonga in l'Equipe after his loss to Giraldo as reported by @chriscottthomas : It wasn't easy against him. He played perfectly.

Yes, I tried to do my thing hoping it would turn around. But it didn't.

Am I upset losing? Since he was better, there's nothing to say ... but it's still not a Roland-Garros loss. Sure, that's all that matters. Me, I want to do well at Roland. If I'd wanted to play well her, I would have prepared better for this kind of surface. Did I take Madrid lightly? Yes and no ... I would have preferred winning but I'm not going to dramatise it. And, yes, if I lose in Rome, I'll say the same thing. The goal is to win at Roland. And for me that doesn't necessarily mean wins before. They're not connected.

Ace20
05-09-2014, 06:57 PM
What Tsonga Coach had say about Match, From Twitter

Thierry Ascione, Tsonga's coach, after his loss to Giraldo, as reported by @chriscottthomas: He starts the match well but lost the thread too quickly and never really finds it again. Yet we had fifteen huge days of training before coming here. He worked really well, he was ready, and this ... I sincerely don't understand it. It's bizarre.

DBR
06-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Interesting translation of Jo's interview in L'Equipe today - from @markalannixon on twitlonger -

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s276lb

"As long as you're giving it your all every day, there's no shame." Tsonga interviewed in today's l'Équipe: (You said at Queen's that something was blocking you, and it wasn't physical or tactical) I still don't know what it is. If it is something, it's not very big. I've always had periods like that.

(You said you've never had one that lasted this long) That's true. If I listen to what people say, It's serious (smiles). But I've suffered more serious things in my life (hernia, knees)... They say I'm through. I lap it up. It nourishes me. It does me good. It motivates me (smiles). So, I don't have it any more? I'll show you! It affects me a bit, that's normal. But if I felt sorry for myself, it would be worse. I've never considered stopping with my coaches (Ascione and Escudé). If I don't get results, it's my fault, not theirs. They arrived at a time when I couldn't do anything physically. It's not their fault.

(Putting aside last year, you have two semis at Wimbledon. Does that help your morale?) No, I don't think about that too much. I work long term. The top priority for my team was fixing my knee. I really haven't felt any pain for a few weeks now. I see myself improving physically, I see I can include things in my training I haven't been able to do for a few years. I'm moving forward in fact.

(You said the same thing a few months ago) I started from bottom. I'm not getting results. So? A year ago here, I was at rock bottom. I had to fix my physical problems at any cost. And that takes time. For people, the objective is maybe to see me get back to the level I was at before. But that's people. Me, I want to get higher than that. Yeah, if not, where's the interest? What's the point?

(So your aim is still to win a Slam?).Yes, but I've changed how to do it. First of all, I had to get back to the physical level I had in 2008. Then I had to form a team around me and be consistent in small tournaments, play them as if they were Slams.

(You're further away from the top players than you were before) That follows logically from what I said before. Injury, team change, one or two bad choices (the racquet undoubtedly) and there you go. I think I'll get back very close to them. If I don't, I'll quit tennis! Right away! Against Djokovic at Roland, I wasn't up to the event level. But as long as you're giving it your all every day, there's no shame. Rafa said it well: you have a mental picture of what you can do on court. I haven't lost the taste for the battle. But going to war with a gun and going to war with a pocket knife ... I was courageous, I went with my pocket knife. At Wimbledon, I don't know if I'll have a gun or a crossbow. I'm not sure. I need wins.

(Mauresmo coaching Andy - you don't have regrets?) If Andy had chosen Kournikova, that would have seemed bizarre to me. Amélie, no. She'll bring him things. Of course I have regrets. But I hope I'm not the only one. The fact that she'll be helping Murray beat Frenchmen, we've screwed something up. Why didn't I call her before? I didn't know she wanted to coach besides the Fed Cup. It's like Luigi Borfiga (who trained Tsonga, Monfils, Simon ...) who's with the Canadians. It's very sad.

Ace20
06-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Great Article sound like he wanna get back too the top I hoping he put in all the hard work. even through I still kinda think an new coach is needed

DBR
08-08-2014, 01:28 PM
Translation of Jo's quotes in L'Equipe today after beating Djokovic in Toronto - from @markalannixon on twitlonger http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1s357c8

"It's still only a win in the round of 16" - Tsonga quoted in l'Équipe: "That one, it feels good. I've been looking for that for a while. I felt really good, really aggressive. It reassures me about the way I've been training. You work hard and and you're not rewarded that often. I've had some tough times in the last months. But it's still only a win in the round of 16. There's still much to do. I'm not getting excited about it. It doesn't lead to much. The goal is to go far and I still have a tough one against Murray, whom I've only beaten once.

In fact, I've been feeling good for several weeks, I feel my game is coming back. I'm working hard and believe in my chances. I still had residual problems with my knee right up to Wimbledon. Before, I was always a bit apprehensive. I'd lost power in my legs. For the last few weeks, I've been able to work on strengthening them again.

Tennis is only logic. There are no miracles. I was out for three months at the end of last year and I was told you need at least twice as long to become competitive again. I couldn't work on my physical training during those three months, my knee didn't allow it. There you go, it took time. But it wasn't useless, it allowed me to ask myself quite a few questions about the way I was working and about everyday life. Which ones? I'm not going to say! I rediscovered my grit and motivation.

(We insist - you beat the world number one! That means something!) It's not the first time I don't think about those kinds of things any more. What matters is playing big matches.

(Murray) He's a player who defends well, who has a well-developed tactical sense and who's very consistent. He's an opponent who looks for your weak points.

(and with Amélie Mauresmo) Yes, that will be weird. I'd prefer she weren't there, even if it's Andy who'll be on the court. That said, I'd prefer it were Amélie!"

Ace20
08-11-2014, 12:17 AM
ROGERS CUP MEN

August 7, 2014

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

TORONTO, ONTARIO

J. TSONGA/N. Djokovic
6‑2, 6‑2

Q. Novak said he kind of felt early on that he knew he didn't have it. Were you able to get that sense early on, that maybe this wasn't the same guy you played in the past?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Sorry, I didn't understand. It was too fast for me.

Q. Novak said early on he could tell that he didn't have his A game today. Could you tell that, as well, that maybe he wasn't at 100% just with his ability?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I don't know. It was a tennis match like always. We never have the same feeling.
But anyway, you know, for me today it was great. I played a good match. Soon in the match I was in good condition. I served pretty well. I was pretty aggressive, so for me it was a good match.
Then I can't talk about his game or how he felt, but me, I felt good.

Q. We got told that's your third win over a world No. 1 in your career. What's that do for your confidence going forward towards the US Open?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: It's good more me. It's good for me because I'm looking for it since couple of months now, and now I get it. It make me feel good on the way I practice and how I manage, you know, my game.
So, yeah, it's something positive for me.

Q. Have you spoken to Gasquet since you came off court?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah.

Q. How is he doing? Is he okay?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: He's not going well, so I think he's gonna do some exam, you know, this afternoon and you will see at this moment, I think.

Q. What is the feeling like when you play guys like Djokovic? Because you have had obviously a really good history against Federer. Doesn't seem like you get intimidated when you play those world No. 1s or top players.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, we grow up together on the tour. We had many good years. When you play against him you know it's going to be difficult, anyway. Even if the score today seemed easy, it's never easy against him.
So, I mean, it's always a good moment for me, because that's why I expect is to play against those guys. It's always great to play against him anyway.

Q. You gave us quite a good celebration after the match. Can you describe the feelings that you have when you achieve such result like that?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, I'm working hard every day. You know, it's not every day you get the rewards of what you're doing every day during the year, you know. You leave your family, practice every day hard, suffer a lot on the court. And when you win a match like this, you know, you just feel good.
Me, I will always show my emotion because I'm like this.

Q. Roger said at the start of the week that he thought these courts are playing faster than they have in the past. Do you agree with that? And if so, do you feel it suits your attacking kind of game? Can we see you doing some more volley work?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I don't know, because I didn't play many times here in the past. The last time I played I played only one round, and it was pretty fast also.
So I don't know what to say about it, but anyway, it's good for me.

Q. I was going to say, do you feel it's fast enough to suit your style of attacking game?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, I think it fit good with my game.

FastScripts Transcript by ASAP Sports

Ace20
08-11-2014, 12:20 AM
ROGERS CUP MEN

August 8, 2014

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

TORONTO, ONTARIO

J. TSONGA/A. Murray
7‑6, 4‑6, 6‑4

Q. In the third set you were down a break, down 3‑1. You seemed to sort of regroup and refocus. How were you able to get control of the match again after that point?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, I had the hand on the match at the beginning, and then he came back. Then I was a little bit down. I just stayed focused, tried to be a little bit more aggressive because I was a little bit flat after losing the second set.
He gave me one or two points he didn't give me since the start of the second set, and, you know, then I went back and I won it.

Q. It's been a different season for you. To knock off first Novak and then Andy, is this probably some of the best tennis you're playing so far this year?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Yeah, for sure, for sure. But it's going better and better every day. You know, these last couple of months I practiced a lot because I didn't win many matches, and I did also the choice to practice than play tournaments because I was not really ready after the knee problem I had last year.
So I had good session of practice. And now, you know, I feel like I'm ready, you know, to play. I'm sure I'm playing better than before.
As you can see, you know, during the match I was able to serve maybe 220 all match, and for me it's something great when I'm serving like this. You know, I'm able to play good tennis.

Q. Is there anything outside of just more practice that's allowed you to get to that level?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Can you repeat?

Q. Is there anything more or different you have done when you've mentioned the serving to consistently stay up there, that you've done differently to get there?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No, I'm just stronger. During practice I worked a lot on my legs, and for sure I'm stronger on my legs. I think it helped me a lot for my serve because I can push a little bit more, so it give me more angle. That's why I'm more consistent.

Q. You're in great form. Can you talk a little bit about your confidence and playing this tournament?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, I don't have a lot of confidence, you know, behind me. But the only thing I know, you know, I'm giving my best every day during‑‑ you know, since the beginning of my career I'm giving the best. I try to be consistent in my work, and I'm sure it will give me some rewards.
This week is kind of rewards for me, you know, to play like this, to beat two guys in the top 10. It's good, and I hope it will continue.

Q. During the last couple of months, did you make any changes technically or did you focus mostly on the fitness?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: No, not really. Not really. But I think, you know, my technique is not that bad. But I think I had to improve a lot physically just to be better technically, because sometimes it's, for the serve, for example, it's important to push really hard, you know, and to be able to take the ball higher just to get the angle.

Ace20
08-11-2014, 12:21 AM
ROGERS CUP MEN

August 9, 2014

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

TORONTO, ONTARIO

J. TSONGA/G. Dimitrov
6‑4, 6‑3

THE MODERATOR: Jo‑Wilfried Tsonga will be appearing tomorrow on his third ATP Masters 1000 final, having won Paris‑Bercy in 2008 and getting to the final in 2011. Tomorrow he will be attempting to become the first Frenchman in the Open era to win the Rogers Cup title.
First question, please?

Q. How does it feel to make your first Masters final outside of France? When was the last time you felt you were playing this well on tour?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Anyway, I'm feeling good (smiling). I'm feeling good. You know, I'm waiting for this moment since a couple of years now.
You know, it's good because I always believe it myself during all these years, and all this week where I lost against those guys and finally I get a little rewards for the moment of this, and, you know, it's good for me. It will for sure make me stronger, keep my motivation at the highest level and it's great.

Q. Do you have a preference of who you face tomorrow?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I would like to face Roger just because it's always an honor for me to play against him in such a good area. Yeah, it can be one of the biggest victories for me if I am able to beat him.

Q. We heard you talking on the TV interview about the boxing celebration and boxing being part of your training regime.
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: It's not part of my training. I mean, I'm not a boxer, to be honest, but it's just a little thing to say hello to my physical trainer who is not here this week. That's it. So nothing really important.
But, you know, when I win like this, you know, I show emotion because, you know, it's not only on the court, you know, we work. It's also outside. There is people around us to help us, and it's always good to share with them.

Q. Do you think you have ever played better over the course of a week than you have this week just now?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I don't know, to be honest. For sure I had some good match in the past, because I had some good victory.
But this week I'm more consistent, and it's good because it make me, you know, beat three guys in the top 10. I didn't do that since couple of years now, and, I mean, it give me hope for the rest of the year.

Q. You're 4 and 11 versus Federer over your career. What are your memories of those victories you did have over him, particularly back in 2011 when you had a couple against him?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: You know, always when you play against Roger, it's always special. First, because you play in a big area, in a big stadium, anyway, and every time, you know, the crowd is for him. So, you know, it's quite a good sensation, you know. It's quite a good feeling when you win against 10,000 people (smiling).

redshift36188
08-11-2014, 04:47 PM
Q. Novak said he kind of felt early on that he knew he didn't have it. Were you able to get that sense early on, that maybe this wasn't the same guy you played in the past?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: Sorry, I didn't understand. It was too fast for me.

Q. Novak said early on he could tell that he didn't have his A game today. Could you tell that, as well, that maybe he wasn't at 100% just with his ability?
JO‑WILFRIED TSONGA: I don't know. It was a tennis match like always. We never have the same feeling.
But anyway, you know, for me today it was great. I played a good match. Soon in the match I was in good condition. I served pretty well. I was pretty aggressive, so for me it was a good match.
Then I can't talk about his game or how he felt, but me, I felt good.
/interview

:cool: