IVA Majoli call it quits [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

IVA Majoli call it quits

alfonsojose
06-29-2004, 08:34 PM
Tennis-Majoli retires at 26

ZAGREB, June 29 (Reuters) - Croatia's Iva Majoli, the 1997 French Open champion, announced her retirement from competitive tennis on Tuesday saying she lacked motivation.
"There may be some exhibition matches or doubles, but my career is over," the 26-year-old Majoli told sports gazette Sportske Novosti.

"I have fallen too low," she said. "I am practically back at the beginning and would have to work like a maniac to get back to the top. I realised I was not ready for that."

Majoli, who beat Swiss Martina Hingis in the 1997 Roland Garros final, was once rated as high as number four but has seen her world ranking plummet to 294.

The winner of eight career WTA Tour titles, including the French Open, Majoli was not at Wimbledon this year having slipped too far in the rankings and she did not try to qualify.

Majoli has played only five matches since Wimbledon 2003 and lost four of them.

06/29/04 10:52 ET

Copyright 2004 Reuters Limited

RaVeR
06-29-2004, 09:35 PM
What a sad week:sad::sad:
First Goran and now Iva:sad::sad::sad:

Neely
06-29-2004, 09:40 PM
that's really bad for Majoli that her ranking dropped so much! :(
I haven't noticed anything of her lately at all.

sure it's bad that she retires, but on the other hand, a retirement is the only honest and upright solution if you are not willing to work hard anymore. :rolleyes:

Good luck in the rest of her life, Iva! ...whatever you are doing.... :shrug:

azza
06-29-2004, 10:18 PM
www.wtaworld.com

smudger
06-29-2004, 11:40 PM
294??? wow ! I didn't realise she'd dropped that low.

Well sad to see someone retire young and go out on a low but a French Open title at least 2 show for her career :bigclap:

CarnivalCarnage
06-30-2004, 12:06 AM
that's really bad for Majoli that her ranking dropped so much! :(
I haven't noticed anything of her lately at all.

sure it's bad that she retires, but on the other hand, a retirement is the only honest and upright solution if you are not willing to work hard anymore. :rolleyes:

Good luck in the rest of her life, Iva! ...whatever you are doing.... :shrug:

She has the right to retire whenever she likes. At some point, every player isn't willing to work as hard as they did.

CarnivalCarnage
06-30-2004, 12:10 AM
294??? wow ! I didn't realise she'd dropped that low.

Well sad to see someone retire young and go out on a low but a French Open title at least 2 show for her career :bigclap:

She won Charleston, reached the Bol final, and made the 3r of Wimbledon and the US Open in 2002. But right after that, she seemed to fall off a cliff. As the article said, after Wimbledon 2003, she played only one more event (the USO, and lost 1r) that year. This year she took a couple wildcards and didn't play especially well, and I think her last event was trying to qualify in Paris which didn't work out too well either.

But that ranking is illusory. It's not like she was dinking around Challenger tournaments for months with that ranking. It's a combo of inactivity and miserable results on the pro tour.

SanTaureau Fan
06-30-2004, 12:48 AM
She did the right decision.

Basically since 1 year in an half she's half retired. It's clear she didn't have the motivation to comeback. Her retirement is hardly a surprise.

I'm happy she won't use her fame as a GS winner to suck WC until she's 30 and having poor results 3/4 of the time... She was already a WC queen, I've stopped counting after 30.

If she lacks motivation, better to just retire.

Billabong
06-30-2004, 02:26 AM
Good luck in your future life Iva:)!

Leo
06-30-2004, 03:04 AM
That's really sad but understandable. At least she was able to get back to her '97 form for brief periods in the last few years, including that incredible run at Charleston 2002.

Best of luck to you, Iva. :)

CarnivalCarnage
06-30-2004, 03:06 AM
That's really sad but understandable. At least she was able to get back to her '97 form for brief periods in the last few years, including that incredible run at Charleston 2002.

Best of luck to you, Iva. :)

Weeeellll, anytime your best win at a Tier I was Sandrine Testud, I don't think it's an incredible run. ;)

Leo
06-30-2004, 03:07 AM
Weeeellll, anytime your best win at a Tier I was Sandrine Testud, I don't think it's an incredible run. ;)

Considering where she was ranked and her form going in, I'd call it incredible. ;) Okay, maybe Schnyder did have the bigger wins that week, but who cares when it's Iva holding up the trophy in the end, right?

YoursTruly
06-30-2004, 04:52 AM
This is shocking. Totally unexpected!!! I mean, is this for real? If it had to do with how the tour has too many tournaments, then I'm going to be really mad because that means that a good player has been wasted due to the over-playing.
I did know that after her French Open title, she began having injuries and was away and then coming back again, and when she did come back, there were good moments for her. So much talent and still a bit young to say goodbye to competing! I thank Iva for beating Martina in the '97 final (HAHAHA), for winning the Family Circle Cup in her last real comeback, and for making the game look so natural and easy. :)

CarnivalCarnage
06-30-2004, 07:57 AM
Considering where she was ranked and her form going in, I'd call it incredible. ;) Okay, maybe Schnyder did have the bigger wins that week, but who cares when it's Iva holding up the trophy in the end, right?

Who cares about the trophy when you walk away with more points? ;)

CarnivalCarnage
06-30-2004, 07:58 AM
This is shocking. Totally unexpected!!! I mean, is this for real? If it had to do with how the tour has too many tournaments, then I'm going to be really mad because that means that a good player has been wasted due to the over-playing.
I did know that after her French Open title, she began having injuries and was away and then coming back again, and when she did come back, there were good moments for her. So much talent and still a bit young to say goodbye to competing! I thank Iva for beating Martina in the '97 final (HAHAHA), for winning the Family Circle Cup in her last real comeback, and for making the game look so natural and easy. :)

I don't think there's any link to the schedule here.

Lalitha
06-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Another one of the nicest player from Croatia. I do remember her beating Hingis in RG Finals, but never thought that she is only 26 now.

Anyways, All the best in your life - Iva.

BaselineSmash
07-02-2004, 04:21 PM
One-hit wonderland.

Havok
07-02-2004, 04:24 PM
Um.... Bye Majoli, you will be missed :scratch: she was done for a while though, so no surprise she just gave up.

ktwtennis
07-03-2004, 12:39 AM
Poor Iva...I'm afraid that she lacked motivation as well earlier in her career...

fed_rad
07-03-2004, 07:14 AM
Another one of the nicest player from Croatia. I do remember her beating Hingis in RG Finals, but never thought that she is only 26 now.

Anyways, All the best in your life - Iva.

Only 26? Seems like she has been around for a long time.I didnt realise that Iva was still playing tennis -so her retirement really is that much of a surprise.
Beating Hingis at the French Open would have to be the one of the biggest upset of tennis/grand slam history.

trixy
07-03-2004, 10:49 AM
Well I always resented her anyway for denying Martina the Grand Slam ;)

Nah, hope all the best for her in the future.

YoursTruly
07-03-2004, 04:26 PM
Well I always resented her anyway for denying Martina the Grand Slam ;)

Nah, hope all the best for her in the future.

True that she denied Hingis the grand slam but that was only the second slam of the year and who knows what would have happened if Hingis won the French!! Maybe she would have won all four slams but she probably could have folded and lost Wimbledon and the US Open later that year. Maybe she would have started dropping earlier than in the later 90s. Maybe she would have lost the next slams due to too much pressure. But one thing's for sure, Majoli put Hingis' chances away! ;)