Droping your racket during play... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Droping your racket during play...

chewy
04-12-2008, 11:05 AM
This video from ATP's player of the week show cased Djokovic's quick reaction.
During an rally with Nadal, Djokovic dropped his racket after hitting the ball during play.

link to vid:
http://www.atptennis.com/en/mercedesbenz/archive_2008.asp?AssetID=2709

my question is, shouldn't the chair empire call "let" and replay the point?
Is the Hindrance rule applicable here?

chewy
04-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Also I've heard commentators say that any article that comes off a player during play will be called a net and replay point. if it happen the second time then they lose the point. Is this correct?

any article = tennis ball drops out of the pocket, or a cap or sunnies or earrings(might be too small to notice) etc. that was attached to the player and then lose contact from his/her body for whatever reason.
If the empire didn't notice, can his opponent stop play?

gaz
04-13-2008, 11:04 PM
yes they would lose the point and recieve a code violation

StevoTG
04-14-2008, 01:24 AM
I always thought that if you dropped the racket it would just be up to your opponent to finish the point with a winner before you can recover your racket. The racket isn't really an `article` as such as it is part of the game (unlike an unused ball in your pocket).:cool:

chewy
04-20-2008, 12:21 PM
:lol: that would be the wise thing to do...

I knew if the racket left your hand, the point no longer counts even if it somehow hit the ball back over.

But your explanation make sense, we can separate the racket from other items you bring to court since it's absolutely necessary.

BodyServe
04-20-2008, 12:39 PM
For your information, it's a "let",not "net". ;)

chewy
04-20-2008, 01:03 PM
:p thanks for the correct terminology. I've edited the post ;)

i always say "let" verbally, but i spell 'em wrong or mix 'em up a lot when typing.

Topspin Sports
04-28-2008, 03:37 PM
You can drop the racquet....no let call!

That would not be fair as a player may intentionally throw/drop a racquet midpoint to replay it. Play continues when you drop your racquet.

If an article of clothing falls off or a ball.....you lose the point!

Sometimes there are generous umpires who will give warnings, but if a ball falls out of your pocket it is technically YOUR fault, you are not granted a let, you simply lose the point. Same goes with articles of clothing. You can NOT call a let on your own problems!

gaz
04-28-2008, 11:01 PM
if you drop your racket it would come under accidental hinderence

this would mean the first time would play a let second time you would concede teh point and receive a code violation under 'unsportsman like conduct'