Will Novak be the Serbian Flag Bearer In Beijing? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Novak be the Serbian Flag Bearer In Beijing?

Stensland
04-11-2008, 10:18 PM
NO, this is not another troll thread and i'm not trying to bash djokovic either. just wondering if there've been any rumours or any preliminary decisions - i remember federer in the opening ceremony bearing the swiss flag and back then it was talked about in march/april that he was up for it. i'm not familiar with serbian sportspersons in general but i doubt that there are any other athletes coming close to djokovic success-wise these days. i guess if he goes deep into the next two slams (or maybe even wins one of them) he'll be the flag bearer anyways. unless ivanovic wins the next two slams as well... :eek:

is any other player in the mix? maybe rafa with a fourth consecutive french open title? baghdatis for cyprus?

elessar
04-11-2008, 10:22 PM
It wouldn't surprise me, even though for a country that size, Serbia certainly has a great number of top class athletes

JimmyV
04-11-2008, 10:22 PM
I think Djoke and the baggage claim will be since those countries don't really have any other visible athletes, at least that I know of. I dunno about Spain though.

Aloimeh
04-11-2008, 10:53 PM
NO, this is not another troll thread and i'm not trying to bash djokovic either. just wondering if there've been any rumours or any preliminary decisions - i remember federer in the opening ceremony bearing the swiss flag and back then it was talked about in march/april that he was up for it. i'm not familiar with serbian sportspersons in general but i doubt that there are any other athletes coming close to djokovic success-wise these days. i guess if he goes deep into the next two slams (or maybe even wins one of them) he'll be the flag bearer anyways. unless ivanovic wins the next two slams as well... :eek:

is any other player in the mix? maybe rafa with a fourth consecutive french open title? baghdatis for cyprus?

Possibly, but not necessarily. There are other decently prominent athletes who play football/soccer, basketball, and even recently a swimmer who broke the European record (Cavic). So it's up for grabs. I can't imagine Ivanovic carrying it - she's probably going to go for the "girly" role as Eurovision MC or something of that nature. If Djokovic wins the next two (:p) slams, I'm 100% sure he's carrying. If "only" one, then very likely. If none, then not likely at all.

dejosav
04-11-2008, 10:57 PM
It's going to be him or Jasna Sekaric. Probably Djokovic for his recent success and popularity, which would be unfair for Jasna maybe the best ever sportsman/woman in Serbia.

Aloimeh
04-11-2008, 11:10 PM
It's going to be him or Jasna Sekaric. Probably Djokovic for his recent success and popularity, which would be unfair for Jasna maybe the best ever sportsman/woman in Serbia.

I don't understand why sport shooting should be divided into male and female, just like chess. The differences in physical strength are neutralized by the action mechanism, so shouldn't they compete with men?

She sounds very talented and more deserving to carry the flag at this point than Djokovic.

Stensland
04-11-2008, 11:32 PM
does anyone know the date when this has to be decided? i tried searching it but i couldn't find anything.

Tennis World A
04-11-2008, 11:36 PM
I think it will likely be Novak or possibly Milorad Cavic (swimmer) because they will be targeting golden medals at the Olympics, with Novak being the most popular sportsman in Serbia and tennis far more popular sport than swimming, Novak is in forehand over Milorad. Ana Ivanovic and Jelena Jankovic (WTA World #2 and #3 respectively) are #3 and #4 contenders but they both said they would love to see Novak hold the flag.

Herdwick
04-11-2008, 11:39 PM
Must be Nole - he'll do it to perfection! Am sure I read an interview with Ana where she said he'll do it and she'll win the medal.;)

Corey Feldman
04-12-2008, 03:47 AM
Hope he trips up and impales himself

camnation
04-12-2008, 04:24 AM
You sound like a wonderful human being. :wavey:

Renaud
04-12-2008, 10:24 AM
Djokovic should be the new Olympic symbol.
This rings on the flag are ugly. Novak picture should replace them.

Vida
04-12-2008, 01:15 PM
I don't understand why sport shooting should be divided into male and female, just like chess. The differences in physical strength are neutralized by the action mechanism, so shouldn't they compete with men?

She sounds very talented and more deserving to carry the flag at this point than Djokovic.

Absolutely agree. I've done interview with her in 2004 for some weekly magazine, kinda like how does she handle fame and personal life and that stuff. So my impression is, that not only is she a fantastic athlete with results beyond ...., but she is great personality and role model. She is certainly not a well know as Djokovic or Ivanovic to the world but has achieved much much more. I think she should do it.

FedererSlam
04-12-2008, 02:28 PM
maybe he will be attacked by protestors and be set alight :worship:

dragon.serbia
04-12-2008, 02:49 PM
I think that must be Jasna Sekaric, she deserves that and this is her last chance for bearing flag! But because big popularity of Nole in last two years i will not be suprised if he bearing Serbian flag. I hope that will be Jasna!!!

Smash.
04-12-2008, 02:53 PM
I don't think he can even lift the flag.

Branimir
04-12-2008, 03:05 PM
If anyone asked me, I would vote for Jasna Sekaric. She has been competing at top level for longer time than Djokovic is actually born.

Wow, very funny. How did you pull that one of, I don't know. It must have been because your parents have such a great sense humor.

Aloimeh
04-12-2008, 06:40 PM
These Federeresians, so classy. One of them wants Novak to be burned to death, the other to be impaled! I love their "sense of humor."

It sounds like Jasna already has for the olympics 1 gold, 1 bronze, and 3 silvers and some medals in other competitions. She's definitely accomplished more so far than Novak and deserves to carry the flag, but "unfortunately" if Novak wins Wimby and/or RG, he's definitely the flagbearer.

Stensland
04-12-2008, 06:48 PM
ring up farenhajt or branimir and you're even. just ignore the few idiots, it's not that hard.

elessar
04-12-2008, 08:24 PM
These Federeresians, so classy. One of them wants Novak to be burned to death, the other to be impaled! I love their "sense of humor."

You're not counting me as a federeresian :awww:

Farenhajt
04-13-2008, 06:47 AM

The best solution is Novak to bear the flag impersonating Jasna :p

Clay Death
04-13-2008, 07:02 AM

It sounds like Jasna already has for the olympics 1 gold, 1 bronze, and 3 silvers and some medals in other competitions. She's definitely accomplished more so far than Novak and deserves to carry the flag, but "unfortunately" if Novak wins Wimby and/or RG, he's definitely the flagbearer.

Federersians are a dying breed. the extinction process acclerates if their god flunks at Wimby.

time and tide wait for no one.

schorsch
04-13-2008, 07:05 AM
The best solution is Novak to bear the flag impersonating Jasna :p

:worship: lol

*snowflake*
04-13-2008, 10:39 AM
I hope not.
Jasna Sekaric's been bringing medals for 20 years straight and it would be a spit to her face to let any of the new found sport stars to carry it. They screwed her over last year and i hope they won't do it again.
Eight or maybe even 4 years from now if Novak still has it, why not; but now it would be fame ridden.
I won't even comment on the possibility of the airhead Milorad "the self proclaimed hero" Cavic carrying it...

The Pro
04-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Oh God, please no. Don't even get this idea started. We'll never hear the end of it. :rolleyes:

Especially not from Djokerfakervic.

Does it make me a bad person that I want him to choke to death on his own smug git-iness? :confused:

Vida
04-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I hope not.
Jasna Sekaric's been bringing medals for 20 years straight and it would be a spit to her face to let any of the new found sport stars to carry it. They screwed her over last year and i hope they won't do it again.
Eight or maybe even 4 years from now if Novak still has it, why not; but now it would be fame ridden.
I won't even comment on the possibility of the airhead Milorad "the self proclaimed hero" Cavic carrying it...

spot on.

nateyang
04-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Let's expand this thread. Instead of only Djokovic & Serbia, how about other tennis players from other countries ? Federer for Switzerland, Nadal for Spain, Henin for Belgium ? Can't think of any others.

*Ljubica*
04-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Funny how the thread starter specifically started this thread with a genuine question, and said "no attacks", and within a few hours, idiots were here attacking Djokovic - and that was long before any of the famous "NoleTards" they always whinge about had even shown up here :rolleyes:

It is possible to like and admire both Nole and Roger you know - I love them both :) I also happen to think Roger is a wonderful player and a classy and gracious human being - and it's just a pity that some of his fans can't share his class :rolleyes: Grow up and move on people - I'm sure Roger would not respect your stupidity :rolleyes:

Oh - and before any troll tries to mention it - no matter how much I admit to personally disliking Mr Nadal - I would never wish illness, injury or accident upon him, nor attack his Mother or family like some of the Djokovic haters on MTF attack his family. It just makes the trolls look far more classless and clueless than the Djokovic's ever could look.

As for the question I am not knowledgable enough about Serbian sport to answer it :shrug: I would personally love to see Nole do it, but if this Jasna Sekaric has been representing Serbia for nearly 20 years (and therefore presumably near to retirement), then maybe she can do it, and Nole can carry the flag in London in 2012 :)

Farenhajt
04-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Let's expand this thread. Instead of only Djokovic & Serbia, how about other tennis players from other countries ? Federer for Switzerland, Nadal for Spain, Henin for Belgium ? Can't think of any others.

Actually, Troicki bearing his pants on the pole would draw huge attention from a certain lot of female users around here.

Okonsky
04-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Sekaric is komunist! B A R F !!!

Aloimeh
04-13-2008, 07:49 PM

So what if she's "communist"? Her political orientation has nothing to do with her *athletic* accomplishments, which would qualify her as a prime candidate to carry the flag.

Stensland
04-13-2008, 08:53 PM
is she really a communist? am i missing something here?

Johnny Groove
04-13-2008, 09:11 PM

maybe he will be attacked by protestors and be set alight :worship:

Does it make me a bad person that I want him to choke to death on his own smug git-iness? :confused:

:lol: MTF

Vida
04-13-2008, 10:03 PM

F*CK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stensland
04-25-2008, 06:49 PM
they just had this bit on the radio over here, it dealt with the opening ceremonies of the different olympics over the years. among other things concerning the types of shows etc. it was mentioned that the flag bearers are officially announced at short notice. seems like we'll have to wait pretty long then. on the other hand i remember the german flag bearer for athens (beerbaum) was in the media for months before the actual announcement. hmm.

btw when's roger's birthday? what a coincidence... ;)

Okonsky
04-25-2008, 07:15 PM
F*CK OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks a lot. Jul je kul, remember that? Or....maybe this is your cup of tea? Seselj, Mladic and the rest of shit are heroes?

M'rsh.

Aloimeh
04-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Thanks a lot. Jul je kul, remember that? Or....maybe this is your cup of tea? Seselj, Mladic and the rest of shit are heroes?

M'rsh.

Since when is Seselj a "komunist"?

bokehlicious
04-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Please Serbians, try to behave, this place is not Kosovo :shrug:

mediter
04-25-2008, 07:24 PM
aloimeh, your darker side is getting darker. are you a fan of seselj too?

is there one war criminal or serb extremist that you don't support?

Aloimeh
04-25-2008, 07:26 PM
aloimeh, your darker side is getting darker. are you a fan of seselj too?

is there one war criminal or serb extremist that you don't support?

Yes, darker and darker. :devil:

The point is, Seselj's a nationalist and definitely not a communist. He called Mira Markovic a "red cow" (red referring to her communist orientations). Just pointing out the inconsistencies in Manon's pathetic ramble.

Stensland
07-10-2008, 01:06 PM
...is any other player in the mix? maybe rafa with a fourth consecutive french open title? baghdatis for cyprus?

baghdatis is out while rafa is probably still in the mix.

given that ivanovic rules the wta and won her first slam recently, i'm pretty sure we'll end up with no atp flag bearer at all. the spaniards have tons of great athletes and they're likely to choose some less covered athlete to represent them. rafa gets lots of media attention anyways. baghdatis had a good chance but unfortunately he has withdrawn.

Venle
07-10-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't know

finishingmove
07-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Jasna who... ? Djokovic all the way

Federerhingis
07-10-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't think so both Ivanovic and Jankovic can win medals, more like silver or bronze. I doubt either has the mental ability to make it to the final and then win that match.

Vida
07-10-2008, 02:48 PM

M'rsh.

:lol:

sorry, didn't know ya back than. thought you wazzzzzzzz a trrrrrrroooool. ;)

Vida
07-10-2008, 02:50 PM
Jasna who... ? Djokovic all the way

Jasna is incredibly accomplished athlete in her field. Much more than Djole in his. And she is a cool person, much more than .... err.... :p :angel:

KitinovRules
07-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Well this Croatian born, still competes in the most prestigious and popular sport ?
what was the sport's name?

~Maya~
07-10-2008, 05:30 PM
I don't care who carries the flag. To me it is good that the flag is going to be present and not banned from the competition. We are in better times now. That is what is important. We have something to hope for. That is what is important. If the country feels a need to honor athletes somehow, it should make sure it provides proper conditions, financing, …. for them to thrive and have a chance of winning a medal.

FedFan_2007
07-10-2008, 06:06 PM

YES!!!! ;)

Matt01
07-10-2008, 07:09 PM
I don't think so both Ivanovic and Jankovic can win medals, more like silver or bronze. I doubt either has the mental ability to make it to the final and then win that match.

Ivanovic has already proven that she can win the big tournaments (RG, IW, Canada). And the Olympic tournament isn't a Slam anyway, so the same is the case for Jankovic.

MIMIC
07-10-2008, 07:37 PM
YES!!!! ;)

I don't ever want to see you call someone a fucking troll.

finishingmove
07-10-2008, 07:42 PM
this fedfan is good.

Marc23
07-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Serbian Bearer will be JASNA SEKARIC:Olympic champion in '88,several times Olympic silver medalist,proclaimed “SHOOTER OF THE MILLENNIUM” by International Shooting Sport Federation...She was three-time world champion,four-time European champion...She triumphed six times in the World Cup Finals and won six “Crystal Globes” and has won a TOTAL number of 90 MEDALS in major competitions: Olympic Games, European and World Championships and World Cups!!!She really deserves it!

Okonsky
07-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Serbian Bearer will be JASNA SEKARIC:Olympic champion in '88,several times Olympic silver medalist,proclaimed “SHOOTER OF THE MILLENNIUM” by International Shooting Sport Federation...She was three-time world champion,four-time European champion...She triumphed six times in the World Cup Finals and won six “Crystal Globes” and has won a TOTAL number of 90 MEDALS in major competitions: Olympic Games, European and World Championships and World Cups!!!She really deserves it!

:worship:

Marc23
07-10-2008, 08:12 PM
And was(maybe still is) world record holder with 492.7!

camnation
07-10-2008, 08:58 PM
Since this topic has been bumped up...
I hope Novak won't be the Serbian flag bearer regardless of if it's an option or not. Some athletes are flying in as late as possible and flying out as early as possible to save their lungs from the Beijing air. Taking into account Novak's breathing problems, I think he should follow this example.

Okonsky
07-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Option is Sekaric first but if she can't it would be Milorad Cavic (swimmer).

dodoboy
07-10-2008, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Ana did. Seeing as she is #1

Marc23
07-10-2008, 09:16 PM
Didn't know that...Well,he also deserves it!!!

adynadal
07-10-2008, 09:45 PM
Option is Sekaric first but if she can't it would be Milorad Cavic (swimmer).

if itis Milorad then Serbia will have the hottest bearer of all countries in Beijing...the hottest bearer in the history of the Olympics...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

a bit off topic,sry ...:o

GlennMirnyi
07-10-2008, 09:47 PM
Fakervic forum please. This should never be in GM.

adynadal
07-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Please Serbians, try to behave, this place is not Kosovo :shrug:

it`s not easy to be a FOOL,is it?

Okonsky
07-10-2008, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Ana did. Seeing as she is #1

Ana is No.1 in tennis. What can we do with all those sports/sportsman where we are first? Ana couldn't, for sure.

Marc23
07-11-2008, 03:40 AM
Xe xe,good point!

zeleni
07-11-2008, 08:00 AM
If it was up to me, I would give flag to gorgeous Miss Ivanovic.:inlove:

*snowflake*
07-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I hope it will be Sekaric, or anyone who's got more than 5 years in their field, plus won medals and such; and not the airhead Cavic, nor the _________(fill in the blank) Djokovic.

Even if it went down to a tennis player bearing the flag i'd see more logic in Ivanovic doing it than Djokovic. Even Zimonjic would be a better choice - #1 in doubles, won 20 titles + 1GS + 3mixGS + 6GS finals...

Okonsky
07-11-2008, 12:14 PM
I hope it will be Sekaric, or anyone who's got more than 5 years in their field, plus won medals and such; and not the airhead Cavic, nor the _________(fill in the blank) Djokovic.

Even if it went down to a tennis player bearing the flag i'd see more logic in Ivanovic doing it than Djokovic. Even Zimonjic would be a better choice - #1 in doubles, won 20 titles + 1GS + 3mixGS + 6GS finals...

Great?

It will be Sekaric. In case she couln't it will be Cavic.

Corey Feldman
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
funny reading this thread

all the mad over reaction to my joke about him impaling himself :lol:

it was a funny joke wasnt it Manon? :p

sanshisan
07-11-2008, 12:31 PM

Sure it was funny - azzholes always enjoy those kind of jokes. yuk yuk

Andreas
07-11-2008, 12:36 PM
I thought, it was official it was Jasna Sekaric ...

Okonsky
07-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Well, you are my friend but sometimes people can't understand your jokes.

Андреас - it will be Jasna. It is official but OC had to make a decision who would it be her replacement in case she can't.

Corey Feldman
07-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Sure it was funny - to an azzhole. yuk yukidiot yank :rolleyes:

Corey Feldman
07-11-2008, 01:05 PM
Murray will be carrying the British flag in this attire
http://www.kidspastor.org/Photos/Don_Wearing_Kilt_in_Scotland.JPG

they dont make em like that anymore

Okonsky
07-11-2008, 02:44 PM
Murray will be carrying the British flag in this attire
http://www.kidspastor.org/Photos/Don_Wearing_Kilt_in_Scotland.JPG

they dont make em like that anymore

Mikey, sheeps are vanished?:)

camnation
07-11-2008, 07:33 PM

It would have been funnier if you were actually joking. :angel:

Okonsky
07-11-2008, 07:52 PM
It would have been funnier if you were actually joking. :angel:

:yeah: But he hides behind me.

shy_person
07-11-2008, 07:57 PM
To be honest i dont know much about famous serbs sportsman/woman (sorry) i've heard only of Nole,the volleyball team,and Cavic,but i think it will be nole-im sure he'll be honoured,and i've read the same interview Herdwick speeks about-that novak will ne the flag bearer,but she will win the medal. I hope they both win,though :)

Okonsky
07-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Waterpollo, Basketball...tennis is not 1st sport in Serbia. Football is, always be. Like in Bulgaria.

Okonsky
07-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Serbia and Montenegro in final!

European championship in waterpollo. Last time in final too but as Serbia and Montenegro state:):woohoo::yippee::woohoo: