The battle of new opponents: Ivo v. Fed, Xman v. Ancic, PimPim v. Mayer, Andy v. Popp [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The battle of new opponents: Ivo v. Fed, Xman v. Ancic, PimPim v. Mayer, Andy v. Popp

Tennis Fool
06-27-2004, 08:06 PM
These four matches are of opponents who have never met before. Any thoughts on who should win and why?

tennisguru
06-27-2004, 08:16 PM
[COLOR=Navy]Ivo is a kind of player who can beat any one on his favourate surface, he has ultimate reach at net. He has defeated defending champion last year, you never know what will happen in fourth round, but looking at Rogers form this year, I think Roger will win this match in 3 sets. Pim pim is going to make it to the semis this year. Mario Ancic did so well at Nottingham lost to Coria, due to fatigue of his prev match. surely he will make it to the quarters.

Fedex
06-27-2004, 10:01 PM
It will be intersting to see how Federer handles Ivo's serve. Not only is it very fast, but it bounces high too. But if Federer, returns his big serves and drops them at Ivo's feet, he should not have too much of a problem. While Karlovic has excelent reach, he'll certainly have diffucult hitting those low volleys, forcing him to volley up against Federer, which then will open up the passing lanes. Added to the fact that Karlovic isnt exactly the best returner, or baseliner out there.

rue
06-27-2004, 10:08 PM
Roger has got a good chance of winning against Ivo. He has been playing better tennis than anyone right now and he will do it in three sets. Andy will most probably win against Popp too because he is a much better player than him but u just never know these days. Johansson has got a good chance to get to the quarter finals too, but I don't think he can go beyond that after that.

Havok
06-28-2004, 01:04 AM
Federer, Malisse, Johansson, Roddick

tennisguru
06-28-2004, 01:07 AM
Federer Johansson Ancic Roddick

star
06-28-2004, 01:09 AM
Well, I really like Johansson and Malisse so I hope they win.

:)

Billabong
06-28-2004, 03:47 AM
GO FEDDDD:bounce:!!!

Leo
06-28-2004, 05:04 AM
The one I'm most interested in is the battle of youngsters: Johansson vs. Mayer. Go Joachim! I'd also like to see Malisse win and make another quarterfinal here. He seems to be living up to his potential this past month (finally!), reaching a final in St. Poelten, a 4th round in Paris, and now another good result at Wimbledon.

trixy
06-28-2004, 05:19 AM
I totally going for Ancic, even tho i think Malisse might run away with it because he has been playing very good tennis but I hope not.

I'm stupid but im not stupid enough to bet against Roger in 3.

Andy but I think maybe Popp will steal a set off him, he did come so close to beating last years finalist.

And lastly I'm hoping Joachim can win just because he's hot :rolleyes: ;)

darnyelb
06-28-2004, 05:42 AM
Federer in straight sets. The first two will be tight, then he'll blow Ivo out in the 3rd.

Malisse in four. I'd be just as happy with Mario winning. He's a cool kid.

PimPim will hopefully win against Mayer, who deserves congrats for having such a great year.

I don't care much about Popp vs. Roddick though. Seeing all these big one-dimensional servers at Wimbledon has made me respect Andy a lot more though.

azza
06-28-2004, 09:33 AM
Ivo will destroy Roger 6-2 6-1 6-4

tennischick
06-28-2004, 09:43 AM
who the heck is PimPim and what did he do to get such a nickname?

Chloe le Bopper
06-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Pim Pim is Joachim Johansson. What he did to deserve that nickname, I will never know.

Space Cowgirl
06-28-2004, 10:01 AM
It's a nickname from his childhood

Kristen
06-28-2004, 11:18 AM

When pimpim and his brother were little, his brother couldnt pronounce his name. He said joa-pim instead. pimpim is the name of a candy in sweden... and they kept that as his nickname ;)

Auscon
06-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Popp just blew his serve to lose the first set 7-5

What happened to Malisse?? Nothing to do with that heart palpatation thingy he has I hop....

Tennis Fool
06-28-2004, 04:43 PM
I was going ask the same thing about Malisse :confused:

tennischick
06-29-2004, 02:46 AM
thanks for the info on the Pimster. ;)

i'm starting to feel like those new posters who log on five years after the baptism only to ask who the heck is the Potato and how did he come by that name. :devil:

Tennis Fool
06-29-2004, 04:15 AM
Well, here are the new H2Hs:

Roger Federer v. Ivo Karlovic 1:0
Mario Ancic v. Xavier Malisse 1:0
Flavio Mayer v. Joachim Johansson 1:0
Andy Roddick v. Alexander Popp 1:0

Allez-H˛
06-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Popp just blew his serve to lose the first set 7-5

What happened to Malisse?? Nothing to do with that heart palpatation thingy he has I hop....
Back was troubling to much,he could barely move the last couple of games.It's such a pity cuz he was playing so well :sad:

Ginger
06-29-2004, 04:54 PM
Ivo will destroy Roger 6-2 6-1 6-4
:hatoff: