FluffyYellowBall
04-02-2008, 12:52 AM
Ancic had chances, Kolya actually volleyed 26 times..:confused:

Jaap
04-02-2008, 12:53 AM
Hell of a match.

camnation
Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap.

FluffyYellowBall
hell of a choke as well. Davydenko serving at 5-4, hilarious.

Goget
04-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Another thriller with Ancic in Miami

Roland9
04-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Fan-freakin'-tastic match. Well played by both.

When Davydenko is hitting the ball well, it's just great to watch him...

Gratz to Kolya.

Voo de Mar
04-02-2008, 12:56 AM
I've never seen Kolya with such a good performence at the net like in the first two sets :shrug:
Ancic was death tired in the third set, 4th three-setter in a row is too much for him :awww:

Alex999
04-02-2008, 12:56 AM
Ancic was too passive in the second and the third set. Davydenko deserved to win as he played some awesome shots. His net game was just superb tonight. I was cheering for Mario, but Davydenko completely deserved to win. Congrats.

Sunset of Age
04-02-2008, 12:57 AM
I feel like I've missed out on a great match indeed. Betfair stream was UNWATCHABLE.

Congrats to Denko AND Ancic! :hatoff:

croat123
04-02-2008, 12:58 AM
ancic looked completely exhausted towards the end, but you can always count on him to keep fighting. kolya played some of the best tennis i've ever seen him play, especially up at net. with the way fed and nadal have played, i think he has a shot at the title

shaggy
04-02-2008, 12:59 AM
nice fight mario. much better played compare to previous rounds. but kolya was on fire today. spectacular fh passing shot at 5-5 30-30 was decisive. credits to davydenko.

FluffyYellowBall
04-02-2008, 01:00 AM

Gratz to Kolya.

Yep...Wanted Ancic to win but Kolya totally deserved it. 48 winner and only 18 from ancic. Kolya didnt let Ancic be aggressive, eventhough he should have come to the net more often. He was tooooo good today, besides that semi choke.

HeretiC
Amazing , that wasn't Kolya out there, he won the match practically with volleying, net play and even serving (except those chokes at the end). Mario with a poor strategy, he let Davydenko holding his rhythm and when he does that his ground strokes are unstoppable.

anon57
Great match from Davydenko, especially the second and third set. He could have closed out the match earlier but still great effort from him. :hug: Ancic great effort from him as well but Davydenko was just better when it mattered.

HeretiC
04-02-2008, 01:07 AM
Davydenko did all the work, he got the breaks from Mario, he gave back to him after that. He was dictating every point from start till end. Absolutely deserved win. Too bad Mario wasn't smart enough to try to mix things up with slices and change of pace. Those middle high top spin FH's and BH's suited Kolya so perfectly.

Fedexex
04-02-2008, 01:08 AM
Ancic:sad::hug:

nice win Kolya:yeah:

goran_the_2nd
04-02-2008, 01:09 AM
what an awful ancic's (serving) performance in last few games.. he should take a look at youzhny, and punish himself :)

Marek.
04-02-2008, 01:09 AM
ancic looked completely exhausted towards the end, but you can always count on him to keep fighting. kolya played some of the best tennis i've ever seen him play, especially up at net. with the way fed and nadal have played, i think he has a shot at the title

He'd probably choke though. :shrug:

Alex999
04-02-2008, 01:22 AM
I really hope we get to see more of "Davydenko can play fantastic tennis". I enjoyed watching Davydenko so much tonight. Great tennis.

VolandriFan
04-02-2008, 02:15 AM
I want to sleep with Ancic.

Better? :)

tennizen
04-02-2008, 02:15 AM
I was hoping Davydenko would put up a good run here. :yeah:

Action Jackson
04-02-2008, 04:30 AM
PMK was volleying well and he chose the right moments as well to come in. Five breaks of serve in a row, good stuff.

Excellent match and Ancic fighting very hard, though he was a bit too conservative at times, his comeback is going very well.

PMK should make the semis and then bend over for Federer when he gets there.

Clay Death
04-02-2008, 04:43 AM
PMK was volleying well and he chose the right moments as well to come in. Five breaks of serve in a row, good stuff.

Excellent match and Ancic fighting very hard, though he was a bit too conservative at times, his comeback is going very well.

PMK should make the semis and then bend over for Federer when he gets there.

lets hope he stops bending over for Fed. he needs a win over Fed for a change.

Fed will take the title if he finds himself in the final.

Alex999
04-02-2008, 04:51 AM
lets hope he stops bending over for Fed. he needs a win over Fed for a change.

Fed will take the title if he finds himself in the final.
I just hope that Davydenko can relax and play freely against Federer. I know based on Kolya's tennis skills he can beat anybody, I'm just not sure that Davydenko has that self belief.

Clay Death
04-02-2008, 05:01 AM
I just hope that Davydenko can relax and play freely against Federer. I know based on Kolya's tennis skills he can beat anybody, I'm just not sure that Davydenko has that self belief.

he is a wimp. that is why he has to play 1000 tournaments a year so he can get a few wins.

skills are good to have but at the top level but its not a bad idea to bring a decent brain along as well.

he is another respectable professor of a dismal science called mental midgetary with some additional expertise in buffoonian gymnastics.

KitinovRules
04-02-2008, 06:39 AM

Davydenko has to beat Tipsarevic first

Melekhin
04-02-2008, 06:45 AM
kOLYA :banana: Great volleys and great performance ;) Good he avoided collapse at the end

Alex999
04-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Davydenko has to beat Tipsarevic first
I know that, we were just having a hypothetical discussion based on his good performance today.

LeChuck
04-02-2008, 08:16 AM
I really enjoyed seeing Kolya hitting such exquisite volleys. That was an entertaining match.

jonny84
04-02-2008, 08:46 AM
:banghead: Mario. Such good chances for you. :(

Kolya
04-02-2008, 09:52 AM
I'm really surprised at Kolya's run in Miami.

Putting a gap between him and Ferrer in the rankings.

MuzzaWuzza
04-02-2008, 09:59 AM
Mario :(

Apemant
04-02-2008, 10:04 AM

Yeah if he had a good serve and didn't choke as often, he'd be a force to be reckoned with.

aeronatasha
04-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Awwwww Mario.. Still, nice to see him doing well again.
Kolya-the-awesome-russian-machine is back! Great to see him hitting that much winners instead of a load of UEs. :)

your_valentine
04-02-2008, 10:29 AM
That's too bad, however, great run by Mario :yeah:
Congrats Davydenko :)

TheBoiledEgg
04-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Kolya :banana: :yeah: good win ;) :D
getting a grip on the #4 spot :D

Bilbo
04-02-2008, 10:43 AM
expected one

CrossCourt13
04-02-2008, 10:58 AM
Ancic didn't play a smart match. He was defending start to finish and let all the initiative to Davydenko who did play really well but I feel Ancic made it easy on him.
Davydenko struggled against aggressive flat hitters Gulbis and Bolelli but here he played his best match in ages cause Ancic wouldn't pressure him into missing- he was pretty happy just putting the ball back into court.

leng jai
04-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah if he had a good serve and didn't choke as often, he'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and Davydenko was already a force to be reckoned with at the top of his game.

stebs
04-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Great win for Davydenko by the sounds of it although I only saw set one. In that set Ancic played more or less flawless tennis but the fact that Davydenko was controlling the baseline points was obviously going to mean if he started hitting more than missing it was his.

Action Jackson
04-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses and Davydenko was already a force to be reckoned with at the top of his game.

What the man above said.

Bilbo
04-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Great win for Davydenko by the sounds of it although I only saw set one. In that set Ancic played more or less flawless tennis but the fact that Davydenko was controlling the baseline points was obviously going to mean if he started hitting more than missing it was his.

tiredness was the main factor of the outcome. donkey wasn't playing so well imo.

donkey is lucky to be still in this tournament.

goldenlox
04-02-2008, 11:21 AM
This match ended right after Sveta beat Venus. A good day, except for Misha, who's still battling headaches.

DhammaTiger
04-02-2008, 11:21 AM
Pure class from Davydenko. Well done :yippee:

stebs
04-02-2008, 11:30 AM
tiredness was the main factor of the outcome. donkey wasn't playing so well imo.

Well I don't know about this match but for sure Davydenko played one of the worst matches I've seen him play against Bolelli and was lucky thatthe Italian decided to miss some of the easiest shots I've seen to gift the match to Kolya.

SwiSha
04-02-2008, 11:31 AM

with all respect my brother

i disagree, Donkey outplayed Ancic

SwiSha
04-02-2008, 11:33 AM
Well I don't know about this match but for sure Davydenko played one of the worst matches I've seen him play against Bolelli and was lucky thatthe Italian decided to miss some of the easiest shots I've seen to gift the match to Kolya.

Donkey played great tennis in set 2 and 3, great returning and shot making there was only one winner with the way he played in the last 2 sets

Labamba
04-02-2008, 11:41 AM
never seen Davydenko volley that well :yeah:

Why does Ancic play so far behind the baseline and not come to the net more often? :o Rosengren must be one of the worst coaches out there, if he's instructing Mario to play like that. He'll never be able to win matches against Top 10 players on a regular basis with this kind of passive play. And he's tiring himself out against the lower ranked players, when he could be winning much easier.

PiggyGotRoasted
04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
With vollying like that, and getting used to players playing so far behind the baseline roddick in the semifinal better watch out!

Deathless Mortal
04-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Mario :awww:
I thought he might win this one.
Congrats Kolya :yeah:

davis
04-02-2008, 01:01 PM
never seen Davydenko volley that well :yeah:

Why does Ancic play so far behind the baseline and not come to the net more often? :o Rosengren must be one of the worst coaches out there, if he's instructing Mario to play like that. He'll never be able to win matches against Top 10 players on a regular basis with this kind of passive play. And he's tiring himself out against the lower ranked players, when he could be winning much easier.

You sound as if you were "Adlerized" last night, just like me. I watched the match on ATPMastersSeries.tv and was more exhausted from Doug Adler's ranting about Mario's bad coach than from the match itself! Adler took over from Robbie Koenig in the second set and must've had too much energy to spare. He spoke in machine-gun-staccato and criticized everything and anything about Mario's game, starting the second he sat down behind his micro - I ended up watching without commentary...:rolleyes:

I agree with the general notion that Mario's tactical play last night was poorly chosen, but whether that's because of bad coaching or not - well, who knows? I like to believe that the guys do have a brain of their own and show some initiative without being told to do so. If that backfires - it's a learning experience.
Kolya for sure had made his homework, he was impressive at the net. He took Ancic's steam and pushed him to the back of the court. It will be interesting to see whether the Russian will keep playing so offensively.
As for Mario - to judge his Top 10-potential by looking at one match is a bit shallow. He has the goods that are needed to be up there, let's wait and see if he can deliver. I surely hope so!:kiss:

VolandriFan
04-02-2008, 01:48 PM
How was Mario holding up endurance wise? He hasn't played so many intense matches consecutively since before the illness. This tournament could prove very draining for him, it's always difficult coming back to a competitive level after suffering from any virus.

Labamba
04-02-2008, 01:52 PM
You sound as if you were "Adlerized" last night, just like me. I watched the match on ATPMastersSeries.tv and was more exhausted from Doug Adler's ranting about Mario's bad coach than from the match itself! Adler took over from Robbie Koenig in the second set and must've had too much energy to spare. He spoke in machine-gun-staccato and criticized everything and anything about Mario's game, starting the second he sat down behind his micro - I ended up watching without commentary...:rolleyes:

I agree with the general notion that Mario's tactical play last night was poorly chosen, but whether that's because of bad coaching or not - well, who knows? I like to believe that the guys do have a brain of their own and show some initiative without being told to do so. If that backfires - it's a learning experience.
Kolya for sure had made his homework, he was impressive at the net. He took Ancic's steam and pushed him to the back of the court. It will be interesting to see whether the Russian will keep playing so offensively.
As for Mario - to judge his Top 10-potential by looking at one match is a bit shallow. He has the goods that are needed to be up there, let's wait and see if he can deliver. I surely hope so!:kiss:

It's not just this match where Ancic has played too far back behind the baseline, there has been many matches like this. I just don't think he plays to his strenghts often enough and it's the coaches job to change that. For me it seems that Rosengren isn't getting the best out of Mario, but I hope that he will in time. Ancic certainly has the potential to be a regular Top 10 player and I'd like to see him get to that point. :)

Pushkin
04-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Unbelievable tennis by Davydenko.Great play by Ancic also this was one of the best matches of the year. Nobody is more fun to watch than Davydenko playing like that.

gnaz
04-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Davy is on fire.

Iván
04-02-2008, 02:32 PM
This run from Davy is co-inciding nicely with the innocent verdict due soon.

should of known davy will give his all.

Merton
04-02-2008, 03:45 PM
Some good hitting and solid volleying from Davydenko, Ancic seemed to run out of steam in the 3rd but his fighting spirit kept him in the match.

cmorais24
04-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Great match this one! At least the first two sets...! Superb play by Davydenko:D

Shabazza
04-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Sad for Mario, but he's on the right track, imo. :hug:

Nice one Kolya, the guy can actually volley, when he's on fire. If he could implement this more regulary into his game and stop camping on the baseline all the time he could become a real threat for everyone on any surface. His groundstrokes are still one of the best in the game, changing directions so effortless. :yeah:

Apemant
04-02-2008, 04:28 PM

I watched the entire match and that was my thought exactly, after the 1st. Mario won that set but Davy was in control of most rallies, only that he missed so much, playing incredibly high risk game.

He continued playing that way and missing quite a lot in sets 2 and 3 but he also hit more winners. Anyway he was by far the more aggressive player out there which looked kinda odd to me as I'm used to think of Mario as the aggressive one. But Kolya looked determined to paint lines over and over again. :eek:

Most of the time it actually worked. Sure, when you look at Winners/UEs ratio it doesn't look that great, but think again. It's not the same thing when you play a high risk game and thus make a lot of UEs, and when people just moonball one another to oblivion until someone nets a ball out of sheer frustration.

Anyway, a good win for Kolya.

krystlel
04-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Yeah, Doug Adler was being extremely annoying. No need to repeat the same idea over and over, we heard it the first few times. I agree that Ancic didn't come to the net enough, (he is definitely a better player when he does so) in fact he didn't even manage one approach in the second set.

Some very nice volleying from Davydenko in this match and he served pretty well too for most of the match. It took him three attempts to take advantage of the break of serve, he definitely got tight in those stages but good thing that he was able to bounce back so quickly. I really like the way he moves up the court taking his forehand on the rise.

Jaap
04-03-2008, 11:02 AM
I think Ancic is average at best at the net. A player like Davy would pass him all the time.

krystlel
04-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Yeah, but Ancic isn't that great of a baseliner either. He needs to mix it up, I think.

He does have extremely good reach at the net though which helps a lot.

CrossCourt13
04-03-2008, 11:26 AM
I think Ancic is average at best at the net
:eek:

Lol, average at best, so that means he's generally below average
You on drugs?

Jaap
04-03-2008, 12:09 PM
:eek:

Lol, average at best, so that means he's generally below average
You on drugs?

Yes, thats exactly what it means.