Roger got mono virus earlier in 2007 than most thought [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger got mono virus earlier in 2007 than most thought

kobulingam
04-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Q. Did it surprise you it(mono) was so short?
ROGER FEDERER: No, because it can be over very quickly. Apparently I already had it back in 2006 (I think he meant 2007 or transcript error), hints of it, but...
Yeah, so it's in the past.

Bingo. When I first read Roger had mono (the NY Times article) it explained to me (IMO) why Roger didn't move well at Wimbledon and US Open last year. He had a good patch at TMC2007 where he moved really well, but throughout the latter part of 2007 he didn't move well at all (looked lethargic/lazy and less power on shots). He also complained about feeling horrible throughout US Open last year, and Davydenko said Roger looked very tired during their match. Also, Roger looked a step (or two) slow at RG/Wimb/USOpen. Especially his movement to the forehand side looks much worse (backhand side not as much because he has that amazing slice BH to rely on for defense).

I bet you Roger has been told he has had the "early effects of mono" for "several" months but is not admitting widely to public because he still won 2 slams.

There was a marked change in Roger after AO last year. I bet you he caught the virus aroudn AO last year or just after and started feeling some small effects of this.

Anyways, now Roger is feeling the "after effects" of mono. Which means he'll play like last year for a while but should still be able to compete for slams. I expect Roger to be back to AO2007 form eventually.

Fee
04-02-2008, 12:43 AM
2006 or 2007? Are you saying he has had mono for well over 14 months?

hra87
04-02-2008, 12:44 AM
Give me a break. Yeah, the mono had an affect on him, but to blame every single time he played poorly on mono is ridiculous. It was obvious he wasn't going to play like he was in '04-'06 forever, he's gotten a little worse, get over it.

FluffyYellowBall
04-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Its over with the mono thing. He could have had for a year and bit AND win slams

Roland9
04-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Hmm... This is very interesting indeed, and that's not saying much.

I think kobulingam is right... This certainly puts a whole other perspective to Fed's performance in 2007...

And for me, it also makes another reason for admiration.

RogiRafaFan86
04-02-2008, 12:50 AM
Is that what happened at the French? Damn...and here I was thinking it had something to do with Rafa. How silly of me. Should have known better.

rofe
04-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Lets just put this mono excuse to bed, please.

l_mac
04-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Unbelievable effort from Fed to fight through this for 2 years. :worship:

People, we are blessed to be witness to this man's achievements.

MonoFed :worship: :worship:

anon57
04-02-2008, 12:58 AM
I highly doubt he had it back in 2006. That meant he had mono all of 2007, I can't imagine that he would have had mono for an entire year and could have continued playing.

sawan66278
04-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Lets just put this mono excuse to bed, please.

We now understand why Federer put his pants on backward at the Wimbledon final: Darn mono.:rolleyes:

mangoes
04-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Enough with this topic:rolleyes:

kobulingam
04-02-2008, 01:02 AM
2006 or 2007? Are you saying he has had mono for well over 14 months?

Ohhh I meant 2007 where I typed 2006. The interview transcript must have got the year wrong, and I carried the mistake over into my post. Yeah... it should all say 2007.

Still my point is clear.. he looked slow and tired since AO2007.

kobulingam
04-02-2008, 01:05 AM
Is that what happened at the French? Damn...and here I was thinking it had something to do with Rafa. How silly of me. Should have known better.

What happened at the French was Rafa played below his best and still ***** him. An in-form Rafa would have crushed Roger in 3 sets during that final.

Roland9
04-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I highly doubt he had it back in 2006. That meant he had mono all of 2007...

Federer says "Apparently I already had it back in 2006, hints of it"

There is no need to spin this as "Fed had mono at 2007", of course he didn't, in fact I think he was fit in general, but through the end of the year he did start to look sluggish phsycially and this is probably the explanation for it.

So uhm, no, this doesn't mean anything like "So that's why Roger lost FO!" or "Wow how did he win those slams, he's greater than we thought!"... In my very humble opinion, this is just another indication of the man's talent to control himself.

Sunset of Age
04-02-2008, 01:16 AM
Federer says "Apparently I already had it back in 2006, hints of it"

There is no need to spin this as "Fed had mono at 2007", of course he didn't, in fact I think he was fit in general, but through the end of the year he did start to look sluggish phsycially and this is probably the explanation for it.

So uhm, no, this doesn't mean anything like "So that's why Roger lost FO!" or "Wow how did he win those slams, he's greater than we thought!"... In my very humble opinion, this is just another indication of the man's talent to control himself.

Voice of reason. :yeah:

kobulingam
04-02-2008, 01:21 AM
He contracted the virus several months ago. The actual disease (the peak effect of the virus) only came out 2 months ago for him. That doesn't mean the virus couldn't have had some effects on him during the pre/dormant period.

You guys can't seriously say that he didn't look slow and weak during the middle/latter parts of 2007.

Corey Feldman
04-02-2008, 01:23 AM
So it wasnt that dodgy chicken sanny in Australia then?

hra87
04-02-2008, 01:29 AM
You guys can't seriously say that he didn't look slow and weak during the middle/latter parts of 2007.

Yeah, and McEnroe had Malaria in '85. Give me a break, he's getting a little older and a little slower. NOT. A. BIG. DEAL.

Sunset of Age
04-02-2008, 01:30 AM
He contracted the virus several months ago. The actual disease (the peak effect of the virus) only came out 2 months ago for him. That doesn't mean the virus couldn't have had some effects on him during the pre/dormant period.

I truly admire your courage to bring this particular subject up again.
I've tried to talk some sense in people here as well, but I'm afraid that you are in fact struggling for a lost cause.

Kudos & :hug: :hug: :hug:

So it wasnt that dodgy chicken sanny in Australia then?

No, that was in fact debunked quite some time ago.
Sometimes I wonder if people ever went through the nasty experience of feeling something hampering them, going to a doc, and having to deal with the doc not knowing what's going on either. It happens quite often in fact.

kobulingam
04-02-2008, 01:40 AM
I guess Roger will have to start ripping everyone in ATP a new asshole after he fulling recovers before some people believe this mono business.

tennizen
04-02-2008, 01:42 AM
Federer is the Mononator:cool:

Sunset of Age
04-02-2008, 01:43 AM
I guess Roger will have to start ripping everyone in ATP a new asshole after he fulling recovers before some people believe this mono business.

As for me, I think you are entirely right here. :rolleyes:

MIMIC
04-02-2008, 01:44 AM
Everyone Roger beat in 2007 had a combination of ebola and polio.

Sunset of Age
04-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Everyone Roger beat in 2007 had a combination of ebola and polio.

Don't forget Birds Flue. :cool:

Doggy
04-02-2008, 01:56 AM
He is sick Who did he sleep with to get this mono???

HoistDaColors
04-02-2008, 01:56 AM
When in 2007?:confused:He could have meant that he caught the virus late in 2007. After all, the virus does need at least a month to incubate inside the body (i.e. infect more cells) in order to show symptoms. Maybe that's what he's saying: caught the virus late last season but the symptoms didn't show up until the beginning of 2008.

Henry Chinaski
04-02-2008, 02:01 AM
he's full of shit. perhaps he can blame that for his next loss.

Anyway I spoke briefly to a doctor on the subject yesterday and he told me that over 90% of reported mono cases that he sees are nothing more than general fatigue . Sportsmen in general refuse to ever accept this concept and look to blame something more specific. This attitude partly explains just why they have been successful. This is the doctor's opinion and not mine.

kobulingam
04-02-2008, 02:14 AM
he's full of shit. perhaps he can blame that for his next loss.

Anyway I spoke briefly to a doctor on the subject yesterday and he told me that over 90% of reported mono cases that he sees are nothing more than general fatigue . Sportsmen in general refuse to ever accept this concept and look to blame something more specific. This attitude partly explains just why they have been successful. This is the doctor's opinion and not mine.

Somehow that 90% of people that doctor saw has something to do with the discussion? Fed's blood has antibodies in it that proves mono. But wait, your doctor said something stupid so the blood test is nullified.

shotgun
04-02-2008, 02:16 AM
It doesn't really look like a severe case of mono. Look at Ancic, he had to lay off the courts for several months last year because of that disease. As far as I know, Roger hasn't had an injury layoff in years.