John McEnroe is going to help Richard Gasquet [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

John McEnroe is going to help Richard Gasquet

Castafiore
04-01-2008, 11:04 PM
The rumor has been doing the rounds for a while but it's been confirmed according to this article (see link).

John has been contacted by Team Lagardère to help out Richard Gasquet. Eric Deblicker will stay on as his full-time coach but John is going to be part of the team for about 10 weeks per year, mostly during the Masters Series and the Grand Slam events.

http://www.grandchelem.net/mon_weblog/2008/04/sccop-mcenroe-v.html#more

That's not an april fools day thing of Grandchelem, is it? Gasquet fans?

Marek.
04-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Seems like an odd pairing but hopefully it works.

HNCS
04-01-2008, 11:15 PM
is this true........0_0 looks like Jmac got sick of commentating????

FluffyYellowBall
04-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Very odd pair! Omg i can reallys see Gasquets heart fall to his stomach everytime he plays makes an error!

Sunset of Age
04-01-2008, 11:26 PM
Very odd pair! Omg i can reallys see Gasquets heart fall to his stomach everytime he plays makes an error!

Odd pair, indeed, but I can see the possibilities here - perhaps Johnny Mac will be able to do something about Gasquet's 'fighting spirit' (if he has that at all, :p). We'll have to see how this will all work out, sounds interesting at least (if it's indeed true, of course).

Sunset of Age
04-01-2008, 11:29 PM
A more interesting way to spend time than hawking cereal, I suppose:

http://www.yahoobetatest.com/allbran/allbran_header.jpg

I wonder if the extra fiber has evened out his temper. :)

:haha:

Reminds me... Johnny Mac is currently starring in an advertisement for a lottery over here. Guess that's what gave him the inspiration to have a go (oops :tape:) at Gasquet. :D

adee-gee
04-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Gasquet doesn't have the same passion or will that J-Mac had. And it's not something you can teach.

The partnership won't last long.

Sunset of Age
04-01-2008, 11:34 PM
Gasquet doesn't have the same passion or will that J-Mac had. And it's not something you can teach.

The partnership won't last long.

Well, I had to come up with some kind of reason, no? ;)

Castafiore
04-01-2008, 11:37 PM
I'm still wondering if it's true, though or whether it's an april 1 thing.

I can't really picture John McEnroe and Richard Gasquet teaming up.

Deivid23
04-01-2008, 11:38 PM
Like oil and water me thinks

Bilbo
04-01-2008, 11:41 PM
who are these girls in your sig, adam? the blonde (second from left) looks pretty hot

anon57
04-01-2008, 11:43 PM
Very odd partnership

FluffyYellowBall
04-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Odd pair, indeed, but I can see the possibilities here - perhaps Johnny Mac will be able to do something about Gasquet's 'fighting spirit' (if he has that at all, :p). We'll have to see how this will all work out, sounds interesting at least (if it's indeed true, of course).

Fighting spirit along with french temper comes to mind:angel::eek:

Deivid23
04-01-2008, 11:46 PM
John: That ball in last game was out, the fucking ump was killing u!!, you should have challenged it!!

Richard: *head down, looking done", No big deal, I was gonna lose anyway...

John: WTF? Fight you tool!

Richard: I have too much pressure, John....

John: What pressure, u kidding me? I coaching a freaking heartless muppet!!!*bangs Gasquet´s head ala Misha*

Merton
04-01-2008, 11:50 PM
John: That ball in last game was out, the fucking ump was killing u!!, you should have challenged it!!

John: What pressure, u kidding me? I coaching a freaking heartless muppet!!!*bangs Gasquet´s head ala Misha*

:haha: :haha:

Strange thing is I can totally see something like that happening :scared:

FluffyYellowBall
04-01-2008, 11:51 PM
"aiii stop...calme toi jean-mac"

Marek.
04-01-2008, 11:51 PM

:lol:

anon57
04-01-2008, 11:53 PM

Sunset of Age
04-01-2008, 11:55 PM
I'm still wondering if it's true, though or whether it's an april 1 thing.

I can't really picture John McEnroe and Richard Gasquet teaming up.

Me too... but well, stranger things have happened in the World of Tennis! ;)

Allure
04-02-2008, 12:32 AM
I have been wishing for John to coach Richard since last year. I can't believe it's finally happening. Hope it's not April's fools.

Fee
04-02-2008, 12:51 AM
who are these girls in your sig, adam? the blonde (second from left) looks pretty hot

They're both Americans, so you aren't interested. ;)

(they are also both members of this forum)

NYCtennisfan
04-02-2008, 01:20 AM
Can JMac get Gasquet to play like everything in life depends upon beating your opponent? Can he give Gasquet his hands, his anticipation at net? I can see this partnership ending really quickly after JMac blows up a few times at Gasquet.

Corey Feldman
04-02-2008, 01:25 AM
Mcenroe a miracle worker as well then? :lol:

jpatatsos
04-02-2008, 01:31 AM
odd partnerships may succeed??

hra87
04-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Mcenroe should coach Nadal. Oh god that would work out brilliantly. McEnore has said how much he likes him, and the can teach him his lefty serve out wide and how to volley. Too bad there's a bit of a personality mis-match. But still...

VolandriFan
04-02-2008, 01:42 AM
I think this would work to Richie's advantage. He needs a motivator behind him. ;)

~*BGT*~
04-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Mcenroe a miracle worker as well then? :lol:

You're just jealous he's not working with Murray. :lol: Not even the great JMac can do anything for that mug. :p

Allure
04-02-2008, 01:58 AM
He needs a lot of things behind him.

:eek: :devil:

Doggy
04-02-2008, 02:02 AM
McEnroe will physically abuse Gasquet. Poor guy. He might die this year :sad:

Allure
04-02-2008, 03:19 AM
To start with, someone to help him improve his strokes.

And his positioning.

VolandriFan
04-02-2008, 03:22 AM
And his positioning.

You people make me sick :ras:

~*BGT*~
04-02-2008, 03:43 AM
True, but I think the strokes are more important, because he needs to improve them or his balls will just sit up nice and high for others to pounce on.

:spit: :haha: :lol: :sobbing:

Lee
04-02-2008, 03:47 AM
:tape: J' is pretty naughty tonight. :lol:

VolandriFan
04-02-2008, 04:00 AM
True, but I think the strokes are more important, because he needs to improve them or his balls will just sit up nice and high for others to pounce on.

But without correct positioning, his strokes will be wasted.

soraya
04-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Can JMac get Gasquet to play like everything in life depends upon beating your opponent? Can he give Gasquet his hands, his anticipation at net? I can see this partnership ending really quickly after JMac blows up a few times at Gasquet.

Correctment mon ami, je suis a lover and not a fighter.;)

Schu
04-02-2008, 05:32 AM
Desperate times call for desperate measures ... but I did not see this one coming.

John to Richard: Repeat after me Richard, "Tu es le pits of zee world" (Sorry about that pathetic attempt at a few French words).

Herdwick
04-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Gasquet could certainly do with some - any - help right now but he'd drive McEnroe insane. They would seem to be temperamental polar opposites.

Forehander
04-02-2008, 08:02 AM
for Mac to step up to this role obviously it's not only about the money, but also about something he sees inside Gasquet. I'll bet inside Mac's head he sees another Federer or better in Gasquet. The downfall in Gasquet's game is he plays too way too defensively at the wrong time especially with his shitty forehand (especially those retarded Nadal like moonballing ones). I don't know what the heck all his previous coaches do, but If all those can be corrected I honestly can't see him below top 5. Everytime I watch his game I just see so many wasted chances.

Rogiman
04-02-2008, 08:32 AM
I'll bet inside Mac's head he sees another Federer or better in Gasquet.Gasquet doesn't have 1/10 Federer in him. Time to drop that concept.

Forehander
04-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Gasquet doesn't have 1/10 Federer in him. Time to drop that concept.

DNA wise yeh I know.

Rogiman
04-02-2008, 08:42 AM
DNA wise yeh I know.
Tennistically, too.

And I find it Ironic that a big Gasquet fan would call himself 'Forehander' :haha:

vincayou
04-02-2008, 08:51 AM
McEnroe said once that he was not interested in coaching unless it's with someone like Gasquet. Didn't think it would happen though. His coach tells him to stop playing defensively with no success for 3 years now. I'm not convinced that it will work better if someone tells him the same thing in english.

That said, I'm convinced it's an hoax (april's fool day)

JBdV
04-02-2008, 09:07 AM

Doubt this is true, but it would be... interesting.

Castafiore
04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Well,it looked suspicious to begin with but it's confirmed now: it was an April Fools' Day gag. :rolleyes:

http://www.grandchelem.net/mon_weblog/2008/04/ce-quun-poisson.html

(Suggestion to Gasquet fans: don't follow the link where you can find the opinion of Andrea Scanzi (italian journalist?) on Gasquet (and Murray)...yikes, that's harsh)

Sean.J.S.
04-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Good for Richard, I guess. :shrug: :yeah:

*julie*
04-02-2008, 12:15 PM
(Suggestion to Gasquet fans: don't follow the link where you can find the opinion of Andrea Scanzi (italian journalist?) on Gasquet (and Murray)...yikes, that's harsh)

Too late. But don't worry, Gasquet fans are used to this kind of things. ;)

jagan
04-02-2008, 12:22 PM
I didn't know Richi is a lefty!!!

Rogiman
04-02-2008, 12:26 PM

(Suggestion to Gasquet fans: don't follow the link where you can find the opinion of Andrea Scanzi (italian journalist?) on Gasquet (and Murray)...yikes, that's harsh)Truer words have never been written.

juvvi
04-02-2008, 12:33 PM
It's only 3 months into 2008 and people are already passing judgement on him. Very bad. Richie will show everyone what a champion is when he trumps Nadal on every clay court event this year. Especially Roland Garros.

Puschkin
04-02-2008, 12:45 PM

Why? It is well written and has a lot of truth in it. Besides, a thick skin, patience and the capability to endure tough defeats and mockery on MTF are essential pre-requisits for a Gasquet-tard. Marat offered good training. ;)

Forehander
04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Tennistically, too.

And I find it Ironic that a big Gasquet fan would call himself 'Forehander' :haha:

So from Gasquet the arrow has turned it's head towards me now? :haha:

Oh... no... Did i state somewhere I am a huge Gasquet fan? oh no where?:confused: where?:confused: where?:confused: But wait, a fan or not, no, it's not so "ironic", because DNA wise and tennistically too I don't have a "Richard Gasquet" inside of me. Phew! Luckily though, I personally have a huge as forehand enough to destroy most junior players in ACA at my age :wavey: So Forehander is quite a suitable name for me :angel:

Castafiore
04-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Marat offered good training. ;)
:lol: Good point.

Well, I thought that a slight warning before reading it wouldn't hurt so that his fans know in advance what to expect.

Bilbo
04-02-2008, 01:51 PM
They're both Americans, so you aren't interested. ;)

(they are also both members of this forum)

are you kidding me? i love good looking women. i even love them more than myself.

Herdwick
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Well,it looked suspicious to begin with but it's confirmed now: it was an April Fools' Day gag. :rolleyes:

Thanks - great link. As for Scanzi's words, am both a Gasquet and a Murray fan and can't disagree with very much of that. He could have dressed it up prettier but the essence of what he says is accurate. Mind you, am not yet convinced on Tsonga either...

groundstroke
04-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Odd, sounds like McEnroe is impressed with Gasquet's backhand too.

soraya
04-02-2008, 04:33 PM

thanks, great article.

Fee
04-02-2008, 06:03 PM
are you kidding me? i love good looking women. i even love them more than myself.

well then you'll have to go hang out in Adam's massive chat thread to find out exactly who they are (if you haven't figured it out already by now)