the ballboys and ballgirls are fat in iw and miami [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

the ballboys and ballgirls are fat in iw and miami

ionah
04-01-2008, 05:13 PM
only in america! :haha: :haha:

connectolove
04-01-2008, 05:31 PM
That's bad ... :rolleyes: but it is sooo true! They do reflect regular people, I guess.

Black Adam
04-01-2008, 05:43 PM
:haha: :rolls:
I guess they aren't strict about the recruiting of ball-boys. I remember when I applied to be a ball boy at Roland Garros there were physical condition to be met.

They wanted teenagers who weren't taller than 1.75 m (which I find to be disgrace as I was automatically disqualified before entering the physical tests. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with having a ball boy who is taller than most of the players) and there were going to be fitness tests like 40 minutes of aerobic activities and they would also test your ball throwing/receiving skills. Anyways point being, during these physical tests, all the fatties will easily eliminated and you avoid ending up with chubby and clumsy looking ball boys/girls for your tournament. They should do the same in America.

Bilbo
04-01-2008, 05:48 PM
the us has the most overweight people in the world. therefore it's no surprise.

tennis2tennis
04-01-2008, 05:54 PM

oh my god i had this conversation with my dad, who in his own subtle way said, "shit that kid is fat..":D

groundstroke
04-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Flopmerica.

FedFan_2007
04-01-2008, 06:01 PM
Disgusting. You'd never see this in Hamburg.

Fee
04-01-2008, 06:03 PM
:haha: :rolls:
I guess they aren't strict about the recruiting of ball-boys. I remember when I applied to be a ball boy at Roland Garros there were physical condition to be met.

They wanted teenagers who weren't taller than 1.75 m (which I find to be disgrace as I was automatically disqualified before entering the physical tests. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with having a ball boy who is taller than most of the players) and there were going to be fitness tests like 40 minutes of aerobic activities and they would also test your ball throwing/receiving skills. Anyways point being, during these physical tests, all the fatties will easily eliminated and you avoid ending up with chubby and clumsy looking ball boys/girls for your tournament. They should do the same in America.

I'm not sure if they can do that in Miami and Indian Wells simply because they don't get a lot of volunteers. Spring break for school age children is a different time than spring break for the college students, and I know that IW has had problems in the past covering all of the courts. I was there this year, didn't notice anyone that stood out. Actually, some of their ball kids were impressive with their speed and professionalism. LA has tryouts each year, but it's a summer tournament and many more children are available to work there.

Johnny Groove
04-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I like how all the Eurotrash posters take shots at USA while the reverse almost never happens save in defense :D

tennis2tennis
04-01-2008, 06:16 PM
I like how all the Eurotrash posters take shots at USA while the reverse almost never happens save in defense :D

They just stated the obvious, when was the last time you saw so many fact ballkids in 1 tournament? in switzerland we make sure we feed our kids good healthy food!:devil:

http://im.rediff.com/sports/2006/oct/30fed.jpg

daddy
04-01-2008, 06:18 PM

They are very thin by American standards, my friend!

Chiseller
04-01-2008, 06:21 PM
You got assimilated! ;)

tennis2tennis
The one right next to Federer might be FAT or the boobs are baffling me. :lol:

FelipeMIA89
04-01-2008, 06:33 PM
its funny to hear this since I'm currently a ballboy at the Sony Ericsson Open. Yea there are no physical conditions to be met at this tournament. I think they got about 100 more ballboys then they needed this year. So I don't know.

luxsword
04-01-2008, 06:34 PM
Better have fat ballkids who care about tennis than models. :p

Lucinda
04-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Well, obviously the fat ballkids shouldn't be out there RUNNING AROUND. They should be perched on a sofa with their playstations. Geeez, give the kids some credit... and a break.

HoistDaColors
04-01-2008, 06:54 PM
look at it in a positive way...at least they are off of their couches and doing stuff. Watching the pros play might inspire them to at least pick a sport.

I would also have to agree with Fee that I didn't see any fat nor chubby ballkids in IW.

tenniswheels
04-01-2008, 07:07 PM
I think it is a great idea for exercise and $$. What's the problem?

God forbid someone has to watch a heavier kid do the same thing a smaller kid can do.

gusman890
04-01-2008, 07:08 PM
The USO is where its at.

Even the ball kids in New Haven are in good shape. We have tryouts too, like most of the summer events like Fee said because of school.

Adler
04-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Generalization. Ballgirls in US Open were in very good shape, I must say

connectolove
04-01-2008, 07:12 PM

And to be totally fair, the US gives opportunities to ALL people, not just the young and the beautiful. They truly do not discriminate, which is against the law in the US, not in Europe. And us Europeans sometimes have the nerve of thinking that we are democratic and equal ... in this sense the US is ahead of us by a lot. Shame on us.

tangerine_dream
04-01-2008, 07:15 PM
I'd rather see a few chubby ballkids than cheesy model ballgirls who don't care or know anything about the sport.

lorenz
04-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Only in USA !!
At least they are running!! good for them

Sunset of Age
04-01-2008, 07:46 PM
I'd rather see a few chubby ballkids than cheesy model ballgirls who don't care or know anything about the sport.

Indeed.

Rogiman
04-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Start eating vegetables and drop those hamburgers already, for god's sake...

~*BGT*~
04-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Well, obviously the fat ballkids shouldn't be out there RUNNING AROUND. They should be perched on a sofa with their playstations. Geeez, give the kids some credit... and a break.

:worship:

The people talking all that smack, post pictures of your abs and buns of steel ASAP, 'kay? :wavey:

theMEESH
04-01-2008, 08:00 PM
i saw this adorable little chubby boy at IW and he was doing just as good a job as any of the kids, in fact he was doing a better job than one of the skinny stick boys.

~*BGT*~
04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
They did an experiment on Tyra where they did a physical fitness test with a woman who was 220 pounds against a woman who was 110. The "out of shape" and "lazy" bigger woman outran, outswam, outlifted, and performed miles better than the "healthy" and "in shape" thin woman. :p

NinaNina19
04-01-2008, 08:05 PM
I'm sure the players don't agree :p.

Young Boss
04-01-2008, 08:06 PM
I think it is a great idea for exercise and $$. What's the problem?

i don't think ball kids at Miami get $$. they just get a credential and their outfit.

Rogiman
04-01-2008, 08:08 PM
They did an experiment on Tyra where they did a physical fitness test with a woman who was 220 pounds against a woman who was 110. The "out of shape" and "lazy" bigger woman outran, outswam, outlifted, and performed miles better than the "healthy" and "in shape" thin woman. :pI don't think fat people should be persecuted, but trying to picture excessive body weight as an advantage is downright silly.

Lee
04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't think fat people should be persecuted, but trying to picture excessive body weight as an advantage is downright silly.

I think what the poster implied is you can't determine whether a person is fit/health or not by just looking at his/her weight or physique

theMEESH
04-01-2008, 08:23 PM
is it just me that thinks that 110 lbs is too thin for any woman?

Sunset of Age
04-01-2008, 08:25 PM

Depends on your height. If you're barely 1 meter 55 centimeter, like I am, it's quite okay. ;)

Rogiman
04-01-2008, 08:26 PM
I think what the poster intend to imply is you can't determine whether a person is fit/health or not by just looking at his/her weight or physiqueYou can say with a pretty high level of confidence that an overweight person is not in a good shape.

There are exceptions, but that's what they are: exceptions.

The Pro
04-01-2008, 08:27 PM
That experiment lacks a control group, a representative sample of the population, double blinding for the results analysis...

But am sure all the folks with their diet cokes felt good watching it. So that's something.

Lee
04-01-2008, 08:28 PM
For ballkids, it's more important that they are alerted on the court and have the sense in what they are doing. In IW, I spent lots of time in the outside smaller courts and some of them, fat, thin, tall or short, drove the umpire crazy as they were running around the court without truly understand what need to be done.

~*BGT*~
04-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't think fat people should be persecuted, but trying to picture excessive body weight as an advantage is downright silly.

I think what the poster implied is you can't determine whether a person is fit/health or not by just looking at his/her weight or physique

For ballkids, it's more important that they are alerted on the court and have the sense in what they are doing. In IW, I spent lots of time in the outside smaller courts and some of them, fat, thin, tall or short, drove the umpire crazy as they were running around the court without truly understand what need to be done.

Thank you. :worship: It's not like the kids need need to run a marathon. They just need to be coordinated enough to catch the balls, throw them correctly, and be able to with stand Roddick's abuse. :p

MisterQ
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Start eating vegetables and drop those hamburgers already, for god's sake...

Those hamburgers have pickles -- it's almost like a salad!

Lee
04-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Those hamburgers have pickles -- it's almost like a salad!

My Big & Tasty hamburger has lettuce, onion, pickles and tomato :bigclap:

Viken01
04-01-2008, 09:21 PM
Ballgirls from Madrid are the best ;)

Seneca
04-01-2008, 09:24 PM
I dunno... the ballgirls seem fit enough for me and the red outfit looks really nice on them. About half of the boys seem overweight for their age, though, and I'd have liked to see them wear all red as well.

Not a big issue by any means, they do their job in a fine manner.

Fee
04-01-2008, 09:28 PM
You can say with a pretty high level of confidence that an overweight person is not in a good shape.

There are exceptions, but that's what they are: exceptions.

Possibly, but it's also not wise to assume that a thin woman is in shape. I used to weigh 110 pounds and I would get winded walking up one flight of steps. People thought I was 'healthy' just because I was thin. Thin does not equal healthy (and in many cases it can thin=extremely UNhealthy). Movement is the sign of fitness, not appearance (in my opinion anyway).

arm
04-01-2008, 09:34 PM
actually I didnt notice that.

and I've seen a good part of the matches from both tournements..

maybe I didnt pay attention.

Svetlana.
04-01-2008, 09:52 PM
actually I didnt notice that.

and I've seen a good part of the matches from both tournements..

maybe I didnt pay attention.

You probably just did not pay attention - there are a lot of chubby kids at the tournament and overall in the USA.

On the other hand, it's good to see America the way it is and not the way it's represented by the Hollywood. :)

binkygirl
04-01-2008, 11:49 PM
oh my god i had this conversation with my dad, who in his own subtle way said, "shit that kid is fat..":D

When Miami was still the Lipton, they only allowed kids ranked in the state of FL (in tennis of course) to ballboy. Perhaps the rules are different now.

binkygirl
04-01-2008, 11:57 PM
I'm not sure if they can do that in Miami and Indian Wells simply because they don't get a lot of volunteers. Spring break for school age children is a different time than spring break for the college students, and I know that IW has had problems in the past covering all of the courts. I was there this year, didn't notice anyone that stood out. Actually, some of their ball kids were impressive with their speed and professionalism. LA has tryouts each year, but it's a summer tournament and many more children are available to work there.

Most, if not all of the LA kids, are ranked tennis players, some of them very, very good. I heard a few of them talking about 'Kei is so good, etc' and that they had the same coach as him.

binkygirl
04-01-2008, 11:59 PM
its funny to hear this since I'm currently a ballboy at the Sony Ericsson Open. Yea there are no physical conditions to be met at this tournament. I think they got about 100 more ballboys then they needed this year. So I don't know.

I'll bet you have some good stories. Spill. Ball kids have the best stories. The ball kids in LA hated Spadea, because he was so verbally abusive.

savesthedizzle
04-02-2008, 02:45 AM

Yes, because I weigh slightly less than that, but am perfectly healthy and happy with myself, thanks :) I don't have to starve myself or diet to maintain that weight either, I'm 5'3", active and naturally petite, and eat more than most people I meet ;) :shrug:

tennis2tennis
04-02-2008, 05:32 AM
They did an experiment on Tyra where they did a physical fitness test with a woman who was 220 pounds against a woman who was 110. The "out of shape" and "lazy" bigger woman outran, outswam, outlifted, and performed miles better than the "healthy" and "in shape" thin woman. :p

ah Tyra officially the new discovery channel :devil:

NinaNina19
04-02-2008, 05:38 AM
Yes, because I weigh slightly less than that, but am perfectly healthy and happy with myself, thanks :) I don't have to starve myself or diet to maintain that weight either, I'm 5'3", active and naturally petite, and eat more than most people I meet ;) :shrug:

5'3" and 110 is fine. This girl is like 5'9"/5'10" and 110lbs.
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/5217/big200505220256wp5ty9jf9.jpg

Rogiman
04-02-2008, 06:49 AM
Yes, because I weigh slightly less than that, but am perfectly healthy and happy with myself, thanks :) I don't have to starve myself or diet to maintain that weight either, I'm 5'3", active and naturally petite, and eat more than most people I meet ;) :shrug::inlove:

Neely
04-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Disgusting. You'd never see this in Hamburg.
Germany is the fattest country in the EU and there isn't much space between the USA and Germany if you're looking world-wide at it.

nazgul82
04-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Too much burgers !!! :)

Compare american ballgirls with those from Madrid Championship ballgirls, mmmmmmmmmm...

Forehander
04-02-2008, 08:31 AM
America have the biggest number of obese cases in the world, So it's not surprising. Not only that, alot of their nation truly believed Aliens once landed on Roswell. That's why people like Andy Roddick can sometimes really talk with their asses.

Kuhne
04-02-2008, 08:40 AM
It's a sport after all and while it is very important for the players, the only reason they make money (and I mean tennis as a whole) it's because it's entertainment for us, the fans. So if we're watching, I rather watch something that pleases the eye, who gives a shit if a BOSS hotass model takes 5 more seconds in geting the ball to the player in Madrid? I'd rather wait those extra 5 seconds seeing those boobies bounce than watching some fatass kid burn away his bigmac meal.

I don't know, call me old fashioned but I like women

Rogiman
04-02-2008, 08:45 AM
It's a sport after all and while it is very important for the players, the only reason they make money (and I mean tennis as a whole) it's because it's entertainment for us, the fans. So if we're watching, I rather watch something that pleases the eye, who gives a shit if a BOSS hotass model takes 5 more seconds in geting the ball to the player in Madrid? I'd rather wait those extra 5 seconds seeing those boobies bounce than watching some fatass kid burn away his bigmac meal.

I don't know, call me old fashioned but I like women:haha: :spit:

Welcome to my signature...

Kuhne
04-02-2008, 09:02 AM
:haha: :spit:

Welcome to my signature...

Ohh! I am honored! I am also glad that you agree with me.. some people here hated those ballgirls!

Snowwy
04-02-2008, 11:07 AM
In North America we dont have as many deathly kids like Europe and I for one think this is great.