Did Anyone See That Point Between Youzhny and Almagro?! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Did Anyone See That Point Between Youzhny and Almagro?!

Spes
04-01-2008, 01:06 AM
:worship:

I'm fairly confident it will win Point of the Year. Like nothing I've ever seen before.

If you didn't catch it, you'll see it on a highlight reel later tonight, most definitely. :yeah:

~*BGT*~
04-01-2008, 01:07 AM
What happened?

Marek.
04-01-2008, 01:07 AM
Somebody better Youtube it.

Spes
04-01-2008, 01:08 AM
I couldn't do it justice by putting it into words.

Unfortunately it looks like he will lose the match now but he should be proud of that one point. Amazing.

Ranger
04-01-2008, 01:09 AM
Somebody better Youtube it.

Agree!

That was fantastic! Great point! :worship:

adee-gee
04-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Absolutely brilliant, epic rally and then a stunning dive-volley from Youzhny. Almagro managed to reach it but just put it wide.

Hard to describe, unbelievable point though. One of the best of the year for sure.

Spes
04-01-2008, 01:17 AM
So much drama in this match. What was that timeout about? :spit:

gooner88
04-01-2008, 01:18 AM

Youznhy was bleeding after hitting his racket on his own forehead. :eek:

Voo de Mar
04-01-2008, 01:19 AM

I didn't know that Youzhny is so nervous. A smashed head with the frame of the racquet is something to remembered :yeah:

Spes
I thought he was bleeding but I didn't know what was up. Almagro was PISSED! I wonder what he was saying to him...

Ranger
Nice headshot, Youzhny.

:haha: :lol:

Spes
This match is really something else. :lol: :lol:

I doubt there will be much of a handshake, if one at all.

~*BGT*~
04-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Is it better than this one? ;) :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iym4Dj1K-as

Svetlana.
04-01-2008, 01:20 AM
Misha is going :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::ignore::ignore::ignore: he hit his head and it was bleading.

milkidy
04-01-2008, 01:21 AM
curious about that,maybe later we can see that

KaxMisha
Seriously, this match is bullshit. Youzhny should have wrapped it up in two easy sets, but once he failed to do so, Almagro definitely should have won in three. Maybe he still will, but it should have been over already. These guys make Gonzalez look mentally stable. What the FUCK is going on? :retard:

osalsyst
Whatever happened, I'm sure this will be the point the ATP throws in the daily highlight vid.

Spes
04-01-2008, 01:23 AM
Is it better than this one? ;) :p

http://youtube.com/watch?v=iym4Dj1K-as

Yep. ;)

The Pro
04-01-2008, 01:24 AM
They both need to concentrate. Jesus!

Take maybe 5 seconds between serves you MUGS.

~*BGT*~
04-01-2008, 01:37 AM
Yep. ;)

Whether or not it was better, Andy's will probably be in consideration over it simply because of who the players are. Sorry. :shrug:

Spes
04-01-2008, 01:39 AM
Whether or not it was better, Andy's will probably be in consideration over it simply because of who the players are. Sorry. :shrug:

I agree, and with the fact that Almagro missed the shot at the end will probably make them choose Andy. But that was still the best point I have ever seen.

KaxMisha
04-01-2008, 01:40 AM
I agree, and with the fact that Almagro missed the shot at the end will probably make them choose Andy. But that was still the best point I have ever seen.

Better than Federer smashing back Roddick's smash? Fuck, how could I have missed it? Youtube, anyone?

DeuX.cl
04-01-2008, 01:46 AM
Better than Federer smashing back Roddick's smash? Fuck, how could I have missed it? Youtube, anyone?

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hp-EArV6s8

KaxMisha
04-01-2008, 01:49 AM

Thanks, but I meant to ask for a youtube link for the Youzhny-Almagro point. Thanks anyway, though. That Federer-Roddick point that you just provided the link to is by far the best point I have seen thus far. :worship:

Spes
04-01-2008, 01:51 AM

No, that is the best single shot ever, probably.

This one is up there for best point though.

finishingmove
04-01-2008, 02:15 AM
Seriously, this match is bullshit. Youzhny should have wrapped it up in two easy sets, but once he failed to do so, Almagro definitely should have won in three.

yea...

These guys make Gonzalez look mentally stable.

no comment

KaxMisha
04-01-2008, 02:16 AM
No, that is the best single shot ever, probably.

This one is up there for best point though.

Sounds very interesting indeed. I can't wait to see it! :D

tangerine_dream
04-01-2008, 02:21 AM
This thread is worthless without YouTube video! :mad:

Terrific fluke shot! :worship:

KaxMisha
04-01-2008, 02:32 AM
This thread is worthless without YouTube video! :mad:

Terrific fluke shot! :worship:

All extreme shots are fluke shots to some extent. I don't think this is a fluke shot more than the others, though. In fact, I'd argue it's less so, because it's very clear what Federer is trying to do and the fact that he reads what Roddick is about to do so early allows him to get in position in time and actually control his counter-smash fairly well from what I can tell. :shrug:

Voo de Mar
04-01-2008, 02:38 AM
IMO that Federer's shot is extremely spectacular (only because it was a reply at Roddick's overhead) but technically nothing special :shrug:

Svetlana.
04-01-2008, 03:17 AM
somebody just made a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H66IPUK4LNk

Voo de Mar
04-01-2008, 03:24 AM

Colonel is one hell of a fighter and psychopath.

Marek.
04-01-2008, 03:27 AM
All extreme shots are fluke shots to some extent. I don't think this is a fluke shot more than the others, though. In fact, I'd argue it's less so, because it's very clear what Federer is trying to do and the fact that he reads what Roddick is about to do so early allows him to get in position in time and actually control his counter-smash fairly well from what I can tell. :shrug:

I was about to ask how it was a fluke but you saved me the trouble. :D

:worship: That's sig worthy

bluefork
04-01-2008, 03:37 AM

I don't think there's much use in trying to argue with tangerine_dream. In the fantasy land that exists in her head, no one can do anything right except her dear Roddick--especially not Federer. (Although, come to think of it, when I first started reading MTF, I could have sworn she had Federer in her signature...I guess his 15-1 record against her beloved Andy must have soured her to him slightly).

mangoes
04-01-2008, 03:41 AM
Loved this point:D

Winnipeg
04-01-2008, 04:07 AM
Best Point I've Seen In A Long Time !!!

tangerine_dream
04-01-2008, 04:14 AM

:lol: Misha, what a legend. :cool:

Still, it's one of the most amazing fluke lucky shots ever made! Definitely Fed-worthy. :worship:

DeuX.cl
04-01-2008, 04:24 AM
it's definitely an amazing point, but i wouldn't go as far as calling it the point of the year.

~*BGT*~
04-01-2008, 04:27 AM
it's definitely an amazing point, but i wouldn't go as far as calling it the point of the year.

I agree. I watched that point, and honestly, I don't see all the fuss. It was just them using angles and scrambling and getting everything back; nothing I haven't seen before. Youhzny's dive? Seen it before. And the fact that it ended on an error kinda ruins it. :shrug:

HNCS
04-01-2008, 04:35 AM
YAY for MISHA!!! Thoroughly entertaining point.

Svetlana.
04-01-2008, 04:42 AM
I agree. I watched that point, and honestly, I don't see all the fuss. It was just them using angles and scrambling and getting everything back; nothing I haven't seen before. Youhzny's dive? Seen it before. And the fact that it ended on an error kinda ruins it. :shrug:

To appreciate that point you need to see the all drama match ;)

~*BGT*~
04-01-2008, 04:57 AM
To appreciate that point you need to see the all drama match ;)

I do want to see some of it. If that video of Misha busting his head open with his racquet is any indication of the entertainment value of this match, I NEED to see it. :rolls:

bjurra
04-01-2008, 05:22 AM
IMO that Federer's shot is extremely spectacular (only because it was a reply at Roddick's overhead) but technically nothing special :shrug:

Of course it is technically special, you mug! The coordination, the timing, the placement and the sidespin he gets on the ball are astonishing.

Voo de Mar
04-01-2008, 06:31 AM
Of course it is technically special, you mug! The coordination, the timing, the placement and the sidespin he gets on the ball are astonishing.

Ok, I'm a mug but you're an extreme mug who probably has never played tennis. Every high-rank player is able to play that shot because Roddick's smash was so slow and had a very high, pleasurable bounce... Federer did it what he (and every player) should do in this situation because he has great coordination, anticipation, timing and what is more important has high self-confidence to play in the match a shot like in a training session. That is the main difference, most of players would play defensive lob being in Federer's position. Almost a normal smash from the baseline, spectacular only because it was a consequence of another smash. Smash-smash is an unique combination of shots in tennnis and that's all.

Here are the links with shots on higher technical standards IMO:
WsL89DmOEj4
TXffgXOaSvE&

:wavey:

ltaravilse
04-01-2008, 07:39 AM

Here you can see Puerta doing it... he hits the net but he does it...

World Beater
04-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Ok, I'm a mug but you're an extreme mug who probably has never played tennis. Every high-rank player is able to play that shot because Roddick's smash was so slow and had a very high, pleasurable bounce... Federer did it what he (and every player) should do in this situation because he has great coordination, anticipation, timing and what is more important has high self-confidence to play in the match a shot like in a training session. That is the main difference, most of players would play defensive lob being in Federer's position. Almost a normal smash from the baseline, spectacular only because it was a consequence of another smash. Smash-smash is an unique combination of shots in tennnis and that's all.

Here are the links with shots on higher technical standards IMO:
WsL89DmOEj4
TXffgXOaSvE&

:wavey:

:haha:

those are trick shots. they are not technically more challenging. It is much more difficult to do what federer did because of the timing, control and athleticism required.

one would only know these things if one played tennis on a reasonable level. Many players can execute shots like stich and goran. Just like many players can execute the "under the legs shot" but very few players can do what federer did. to me federer's shot is much more amazing, and i think some of nadal's amazing stretch bh passing shots on clay are also a much more ridiculous level than some silly exhibition shots like stich, goran etc.

yes, stich and goran are "crowd-pleasing" shots but they are not technically more challenging. Ive seen mansour bahrami hit those shots.

even club players can do what stich and goran have done. And i have seen nadal also do what goran did without much difficulty against federer at wimbledon.

Its difficult do what federer did because its a pro-level smash at top echelon of professional tennis when federer is behind the baseline. Incredible reaction and coordination is required. For you to say that the ball is slow or to minimize the difficult of such a shot shows that you clearly dont have a clue here.

my0118
04-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Youznhy was bleeding after hitting his racket on his own forehead. :eek:

This is what exactly Nole should do to take a timeout when he's in adverse condition.
Nobody would criticise on that.

Kolya
04-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Misha :yeah:

What a Becker dive!

stebs
04-01-2008, 10:15 AM
Still the best shot of the year thus far is Cuevas I think but certainly this was a great point.

KaxMisha
04-01-2008, 10:38 AM
Still, it's one of the most amazing fluke lucky shots ever made! Definitely Fed-worthy. :worship:

I still fail to see why it was more lucky than other "trick shots" made by other players. Is it because Federer did it and Roddick was on the receiving end?

Cat123
04-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Mikhail's crazy, I love it. Awesome point.

Voo de Mar
04-01-2008, 11:08 AM
:haha:

those are trick shots. they are not technically more challenging. It is much more difficult to do what federer did because of the timing, control and athleticism required.

one would only know these things if one played tennis on a reasonable level. Many players can execute shots like stich and goran. Just like many players can execute the "under the legs shot" but very few players can do what federer did. to me federer's shot is much more amazing, and i think some of nadal's amazing stretch bh passing shots on clay are also a much more ridiculous level than some silly exhibition shots like stich, goran etc.

yes, stich and goran are "crowd-pleasing" shots but they are not technically more challenging. Ive seen mansour bahrami hit those shots.

even club players can do what stich and goran have done. And i have seen nadal also do what goran did without much difficulty against federer at wimbledon.

Its difficult do what federer did because its a pro-level smash at top echelon of professional tennis when federer is behind the baseline. Incredible reaction and coordination is required. For you to say that the ball is slow or to minimize the difficult of such a shot shows that you clearly dont have a clue here.

I can't disagree with all what you have written because all more or less make sense. But on the other hand we can't measure technical skills therefore valuation of shots will be always a matter of subjective feelings.
It's a poky example to compare Bahrami's shots in the senior exhibitions with tight matches at Cincinnati (semifinal) or Wimbledon (final). I could say that you don't have a clue juxtaposing a clown like Bahrami with Stich or Ivanisevic who were No. 2 in the world.

Many players can execute shots like stich and goran

Ok, many, but not each of them has played a winner this way in the important stage of a match.

very few players can do what federer did.

It is as strong argument as mine that many top-players can play the same shot.
Give me their statements. I would like to see Blake, Davydenko, Nalbandian etc. who say "I would't play such a shot like Federer". If you give it to me, I'll admit you are right.

Action Jackson
04-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Unlike some people I am not going to piss on the shot. In the context of the match, it was an excellent point and as for Almagro missing, well he thought he'd won it and was slow to take off.

Here is a point that showed plenty of guile and not brainless bashing, but since it's not big star players, it will get overlooked.

0t98-u3ffjQ

Slasher
04-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Diving shot has more to do with luck than technical know-how.

One of my favorite rallies:

gfnKfR_6Oe4

finishingmove
04-01-2008, 12:04 PM
Unlike some people I am not going to piss on the shot. In the context of the match, it was an excellent point and as for Almagro missing, well he thought he'd won it and was slow to take off.

Here is a point that showed plenty of guile and not brainless bashing, but since it's not big star players, it will get overlooked.

0t98-u3ffjQ

Diving shot has more to do with luck than technical know-how.

One of my favorite rallies:

gfnKfR_6Oe4

top notch stuff

maxxo
04-01-2008, 12:13 PM
i'm pretty sure that this was posted already on the forum, but this is just amazing, one of the best highlight reels i've seen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1au7y4rUOM&feature=related

Yappa
04-01-2008, 01:28 PM
The Youzhny-Almagro rally wasn't more spectacular than for example Blake-Vliegen at Madrid (or was it Paris?) IMO.

But hot damn, this match really delivered.

Burrow
04-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Safin smacked his head with the racket by accident in the 2000 Paris final against Philippoussis. Later won the match. I had the match on so I wasn't fully paying attention so don't really know what fully happened.

Deathless Mortal
04-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Misha smashing his head :haha:

The point was good, not really the best I've ever seen, but I didn't watch the match so it might be that in that moment it was a great point. I find it funny how Youzhny lost that game and his serve next game after winning that point, but when Almagro was serving for the match he smashed his had and won the match in the end :lol:

BodyServe
04-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Here is a surprisingly good shot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyPMrqu6T88

stebs
04-01-2008, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWPgDZLrN5M

First shot in this highlight reel is pretty special by Nadal.

BlueSwan
04-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Superb point.

I still say that the shot ranked at #2 on this list is the technically most difficult shot I've ever seen anyone pull off. It's more or less an impossible shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZRQEtAyiTM

stebs
04-01-2008, 10:32 PM
Tipsarevic has pulled of several shots where it is hard to see what he actually hits, he seems to spin the racquet while hitting the ball behind him. Bizarre shot.

Vass
04-01-2008, 11:42 PM
Superb point.

I still say that the shot ranked at #2 on this list is the technically most difficult shot I've ever seen anyone pull off. It's more or less an impossible shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZRQEtAyiTM

I was at that match and... :eek::eek::eek::eek: I could NOT believe that shot. The seemed to be NO WAY that Federer could have gotten it back. I still don't get what his grip was on that shot.
It looks nowhere as impressive on tv, btw.

Lee
04-01-2008, 11:44 PM
Tipsarevic has pulled of several shots where it is hard to see what he actually hits, he seems to spin the racquet while hitting the ball behind him. Bizarre shot.

That's his signature shot. :angel:

stebs
04-01-2008, 11:49 PM
That's his signature shot. :angel:

All players should be forced to have a signiature shot like Pro Wrestlers. They can get double points when they hit winners with them. :lol:

If Disney sees this idea he will probably implement it.

Lee
04-01-2008, 11:57 PM
All players should be forced to have a signiature shot like Pro Wrestlers. They can get double points when they hit winners with them. :lol:

If Disney sees this idea he will probably implement it.

Don't let Mr. Disney read this :tape:

binkygirl
04-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Misha is going :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo::ignore::ignore::ignore: he hit his head and it was bleading.

That is not good at all. He has some serious self injury mental problem and needs psychological help. I'd bet that is not the first time he has done something like that. This is a situation where the ATP should step in. Self harming behaviors are never acceptable.

Albop
04-02-2008, 12:57 AM
X1x0vj8S5dE

;)

the youzhny point was good but not even the play of the week

Albop
04-02-2008, 01:01 AM
rsi-owK7Mcg

:)

Henry Chinaski
04-02-2008, 01:26 AM
someone needs to make a gif of youzhny smacking himself in the head with a good bloodshot included ofc. it would be the best thing ever.

vid is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AEfCQxVmxM&feature=related

~*BGT*~
04-02-2008, 02:16 AM
^^ Gonzo really loves to hit between the legs. I've seen him do it often.

Lee
04-02-2008, 04:18 AM
someone needs to make a gif of youzhny smacking himself in the head with a good bloodshot included ofc. it would be the best thing ever.

vid is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AEfCQxVmxM&feature=related

Check this out http://www.menstennisforums.com/member.php?u=2608

tangerine_dream
04-02-2008, 04:24 AM
rsi-owK7Mcg
:)
Whoa, Gonzo. Niiice. :hatoff:

Here's that crazyman shot Tipsarevic made vs Safin:
FnpKcUtgzQM

someone needs to make a gif of youzhny smacking himself in the head with a good bloodshot included ofc. it would be the best thing ever.[/url]
:lol: I see I'm not the only one who wanted to turn that into a gif. *awaits your good rep* ;)

Henry Chinaski
04-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Check this out http://www.menstennisforums.com/member.php?u=2608

awesome. thanks.

buddyholly
04-08-2008, 01:08 AM
Bit late finding this thread. I was in the second row behind Youzhny and missed half of the point because the front row was already on their feet jumping up and down and screaming after those two angled shots in the middle of the rally. Finally saw it all on youtube. Saw myself in the video too.