If you could change one rule in tennis... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If you could change one rule in tennis...

FluffyYellowBall
03-31-2008, 09:38 PM
what would it be?
The commentaters were suggesting a while ago whether they should be allowed to toss the ball more than once before serve.

Adler
03-31-2008, 09:40 PM
Nice idea for a thread

* Unlimited hawkeye, although it may seem crazy for some of you, including on clay. Justice should have no limits
Hawkeye should work faster, after every point on the umpire's screen

* Cleaning the clay during
EVERY
SINGLE
FUCKING
BREAK

Nathaliia
03-31-2008, 09:43 PM
When an umpire or a linesman is wrong (after an hawkeye), they can be punched by a player :banana:

hra87
03-31-2008, 09:47 PM
No ball bouncing, no clearing the clay off the lines, no water bottles arranging, no sock adjusting, no arse picking. :)

FluffyYellowBall
03-31-2008, 09:47 PM
Nice idea for a thread

Unlimited hawkeye, although it may seem crazy for some of you, including on clay. Justice should have no limits
Hawkeye should work faster, after every point on the umpire's screen

I like that but then they'll be abusing it and using it after every point to break opponents' concentration or when theyre tired.
But it could be unlimited if the Umpire had a small screen and could check for himself. That way it will be fair for the players, and make umpires useless most of the time..

jonny84
03-31-2008, 09:49 PM
Decrease the time between points when you are serving.

hra87
03-31-2008, 09:49 PM
I like that but then they'll be abusing it and using it after every point to break opponents' concentration or when theyre tired.
But it could be unlimited if the Umpire had a small screen and could check for himself. That way it will be fair for the players, and make umpires useless most of the time..

Imagine Federer with that rule - if he hits a forehand into the stands, he can challenge...

Jaap
03-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Playing on in rain.

Adler
03-31-2008, 09:51 PM
I like that but then they'll be abusing it and using it after every point to break opponents' concentration or when theyre tired
I'm aware of that too, really. But like I said, we've go a conflict between two values : being fair and avoiding stealing points from players and trying to protect them from overusing the system. I think the first one should dominate

FluffyYellowBall
03-31-2008, 09:51 PM
I also think its a bit stupid that its only a let when the ball hits the net and lands in the service box. It should be a let regardless if it's a fault or not. The players dont have the talent, or the touch to control the ball after it hits the net.

nazgul82
03-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Nadal can't play in so tight pants, Djoko can't bounce ball more than 10 times

Jimnik
03-31-2008, 09:55 PM
Instead of a "1st and 2nd serve" I would give a player 30 seconds to get his serve in play. He can have as many tries as he likes and if he fails he loses the point like a double fault.

I would also get rid of lets. If the serve hits the netcord they should play on. I hate lets.

Grunge
03-31-2008, 09:57 PM
I hope that in few years there will not be linesman at all. It would be nice if error margin of hawk eye is small enough so that there is no need for human line umpire.

JediFed
03-31-2008, 09:58 PM
No double faults. :devil:

You hit a serve outside, that's a point.

FluffyYellowBall
03-31-2008, 09:58 PM
I dont think thats possible. Matches would last so long and it sucks for the fans.

MIMIC
03-31-2008, 09:59 PM
Unlimited hawkeye when it's available....and when a player is right, the umpire has to wear a dunce cap, and when the player is wrong, it's an automatic disqualification and a 10-year ban from professional tennis.

Or, simply just unlimited hawkeye :)

r2473
03-31-2008, 10:00 PM
1) Play let serves (so, no lets).
2) Increase the speed of the ball and / or courts SLIGHTLY. I think tennis is getting a bit too defensive and grinding.
3) Experiment with a "1 serve" rule. It may or may not work well (I can't decide).
4) Ease back on the schedule a bit to increase the number of quality tournaments.

dam0dred
03-31-2008, 10:01 PM
I'd be happy if they just did a better job of enforcing the rules that are already in place - specifically time taken between points (men) and no illegal coaching from the stands (women).

FedFan_2007
03-31-2008, 10:05 PM
Ban Federer from hitting any forehands. That would make it fair.

StevoTG
03-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Play let serves! :)

Grunge
03-31-2008, 10:07 PM
I dont think thats possible. Matches would last so long and it sucks for the fans.

Why would matches last longer? If ball is out there would be a sound generated by hawkeye system in similar way that line umpire says out. I don't see why would it suck for fans. There is nothing more irritating in tennis than line umpires doing their job badly.

GuiroNl
03-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Playing let serves. Most inconsistent rule in tennis.

FedFan_2007
03-31-2008, 10:15 PM
Lines people are atrocious outside of grass-court season. Replace all of them with automated system.

madmanfool
03-31-2008, 10:17 PM
no sleeveless shirts or long shorts allowed..oh and definitely no girls socks like Fish

FluffyYellowBall
03-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Why would matches last longer? If ball is out there would be a sound generated by hawkeye system in similar way that line umpire says out. I don't see why would it suck for fans. There is nothing more irritating in tennis than line umpires doing their job badly.

I think ur mistaken to what i was referring too..I was respoding to Jimniks post who said that instead of having 1st and second serves, PLayers should have 30 seconds to hit serves THEN play the actual point with only one serve allowed. That would take a lot of energy out of the players tool. The only reason they take long between points is to clear their minds (or if theyre tired)

Henry Chinaski
03-31-2008, 10:21 PM
Unlimited hawkeye?

Didn't you guys watch Safin v Nalbandian in the Davis Cup final? It was bordering on farce at times.

Injury timeouts should only be allowed at the end of the set. If you can't complete the set without treatment then tough shit, you forfeit it.

And if this seems too extreme then at the very least ban timeouts in the middle of games. It happens pretty rarely but it's a joke when it does.

Grunge
03-31-2008, 10:26 PM
I think ur mistaken to what i was referring too..I was respoding to Jimniks post who said that instead of having 1st and second serves, PLayers should have 30 seconds to hit serves THEN play the actual point with only one serve allowed. That would take a lot of energy out of the players tool. The only reason they take long between points is to clear their minds (or if theyre tired)

Sorry :wavey:

FluffyYellowBall
03-31-2008, 10:26 PM
no prob!..Yea no time outs in the middle of games should be implemented...Unless a player has fallen uncounscious or something.

~*BGT*~
03-31-2008, 10:32 PM
Let players break their racquet's without a penalty.

KitinovRules
03-31-2008, 10:35 PM
Playing on in rain.
They play on rain on clay if it is light rain.
And the clay becomes so slow it is impossible to watch.

leng jai
03-31-2008, 10:36 PM
There should be immediate medical assistance for players choking.

MrExcel
03-31-2008, 10:37 PM
Reduce time of / get rid of warm ups...

They've hit 100 forehands, backhands, serves, etc. already in practise just before the match. Get the players out and get on with it.

whist
03-31-2008, 10:42 PM
When an umpire or a linesman is wrong (after an hawkeye), they can be punched by a player :banana:

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

And when players get theirs challenges wrong, then linesmans can french kiss them if they want. So if you see a potencial gay as a linesman, better think twise before you make a challenge:devil:

Johnny Groove
03-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Let serves :retard:

You guys on drugs? :rolleyes:

whist
03-31-2008, 10:45 PM
Now lets get serious. I would`ve baned Ljubo-Volandri match on clay:p

leng jai
03-31-2008, 10:48 PM
All double handed backhand players should have to change to single handed and vice versa (Haas excluded).

krakenzero
04-01-2008, 12:48 AM
I'd allow coaching.

RagingLamb
04-01-2008, 12:51 AM
i wouldn't change anything.

Voo de Mar
04-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Everything works well for me. I wouldn't change anything as well.

Action Jackson
04-01-2008, 01:14 AM
Injury timeout rule needs to be strictly enforced.

No treatment for cramps, blisters they aren't injuries.

Voo de Mar
04-01-2008, 01:16 AM
I could change only one unwritten rule: stop apologize after netcords or mishits with suggestive move of the racquet - I really don't like this conservative behaviour :mad:

leng jai
04-01-2008, 01:36 AM
Ranking points should be awarded for comedic post match interviews.

bjurra
04-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Injury timeout rule needs to be strictly enforced.

No treatment for cramps, blisters they aren't injuries.

Of course blisters are injuries.

Btw, you look more like Horst Skoff than like the guy on your current avatar...

bjurra
04-01-2008, 04:43 AM
Abolish the let rule.

Abolish code vioations for raquet abuse.

Stricter enforcement of time limit between points.

Bobby
04-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Less time allowed between points. Not because it bothers me that much when watching professional tennis. It's just that junior players usually pick up these habits from top players and so it becomes a larger problem.

Get rid of the hawk eye. Stupid invention designed for fans who can't keep up their interest without tricks like this.

Action Jackson
04-01-2008, 04:59 AM
Of course blisters are injuries.

Btw, you look more like Horst Skoff than like the guy on your current avatar...

How are blisters injuries? Go to a qualified doctor and if he tells you blisters are injuries, then he bought his degree off the internet.

Read any medical journal from respected sources and then it won't say blisters are an injury. How is something most commonly caused by skin friction an injury?

JediFed
04-01-2008, 05:00 AM
Voo likes the fist pumps I see. :devil:

Renaud
04-01-2008, 05:20 AM
Electric shock each time a player exceed 25 seconds between two points.
More and more powerful with no limit.

HoistDaColors
04-01-2008, 05:24 AM
Read any medical journal from respected sources and then it won't say blisters are an injury. How is something most commonly caused by skin friction an injury?

Nerves innervate the skin too. I mean how is pain from blisters perceived by the brain any different than pain from what you call "real injury"? It's psychologically the same.

There are some silly medical timeouts though. The match between Haas and Benneteau at IW, both asked for the trainer because they had sand in their eyes. :rolleyes:

Agree with a lot of posters about enforcing strict time limit between points. And also, I sometimes wish for one-point deuce. Maybe after like deuce number #5, they can change the rule to next-point-wins-the-game.

Action Jackson
04-01-2008, 05:32 AM
Nerves innervate the skin too. I mean how is pain from blisters perceived by the brain any different than pain from what you call "real injury"? It's psychologically the same.

Ok, if you want to be like that. Then a player getting the shits because he has been hooked on line calls during a match and they let it impact on their play, then they must be injured, because they are psychologically injured.

Medical science is on my side and like I said go to a medical doctor and ask them if cramps (which is a loss of condition), therefore not an injury and blisters are the same. No, they aren't worthy of taking a timeout to treat them, these should be reserved for proper injuries.

Next point deuce is a joke, just for people with a short attention span.

HoistDaColors
04-01-2008, 05:58 AM
Ok, if you want to be like that. Then a player getting the shits because he has been hooked on line calls during a match and they let it impact on their play, then they must be injured, because they are psychologically injured.

Medical science is on my side and like I said go to a medical doctor and ask them if cramps (which is a loss of condition), therefore not an injury and blisters are the same. No, they aren't worthy of taking a timeout to treat them, these should be reserved for proper injuries.

Next point deuce is a joke, just for people with a short attention span.

I am not debating whether blisters should be under the category of injury. Women have blisters all the time from trying to break into a pair of new heels. What I wanted to say is that the chemical substance (substance p?) that the damaged part of the body releases to send the signal to sensory cortex is the same. After all, a player calls a timeout because they perceived this signal, whether it is from a twisted ankle or a blister. How can we judge the substance P release by the blister to be any different from the substance P released by the twisted ankle, when they are the same neuropeptide?

Yeah...I do have really short attention span...especially when neither players can win two points in a roll and I am holding my pee. :crying2:

rafa_maniac
04-01-2008, 06:05 AM
Insert an extra week between RG and Wimbly. Turn Halle or Queens into a grass court Masters and demote Cinci.

ltaravilse
04-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Rankings should include the best 18 tournaments (and TMC if they play it) and not the 4 GS, 9 MS and best 5.
Davydenko shouldn't be allowed to play more than 18 tournaments in the same year.
Stepanek should wear a mask ALLWAYS.
The guys from the anti doping controls should pick Nadal.
Nalbandian should be banned from McDonald's and Burger King.
The players who play one tournament should vote for one unseeded player in that tournament to be seeded. (for example, I think Ancic should have been seeded in IW and Miami). An option can be nobody and if it's the most voted option the seeded players are just the best 8/16/32.

Action Jackson
04-01-2008, 07:50 AM
I am not debating whether blisters should be under the category of injury. Women have blisters all the time from trying to break into a pair of new heels. What I wanted to say is that the chemical substance (substance p?) that the damaged part of the body releases to send the signal to sensory cortex is the same. After all, a player calls a timeout because they perceived this signal, whether it is from a twisted ankle or a blister. How can we judge the substance P release by the blister to be any different from the substance P released by the twisted ankle, when they are the same neuropeptide?

There are clear differences blisters and I have injured my ankle as well, like the body going one way and the ankle didn't go, therefore it was sprained and swollen. Not for a minute did I think it was blisters, and blisters just don't come out of nowhere, like an injured ankle does.

There is no debate to this.

Aerien
04-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Not for the players but for the audience: you're supposed to declare your allegiance to which player at the gate and you will then be given a tennis shirt with your player's name and a number so that if ever the match starts turning heated or into a "classic," the umpire can easily announce the identity of a heckler or just anyone who is delaying play by their booing. Oh yeah, you're also supposed to sit with the people who wear the same shirt. :)

Chair Umpire: "Roddick Fan 45, please take your seat."
Crowd: "45! 45!"

Chair Umpire: "Will the Baghdatis section please settle down or return to Cyprus."

Etc.

Seneca
04-01-2008, 10:29 AM
The players who play one tournament should vote for one unseeded player in that tournament to be seeded. (for example, I think Ancic should have been seeded in IW and Miami). An option can be nobody and if it's the most voted option the seeded players are just the best 8/16/32.
Ok, now this is one suggestion I've never really seen anywhere else and after thinking about it, it has some definite merits in it. I do believe that the voting should be restricted only to the seeded guys as the unseeded players really seem to have no incentive to promote one unseeded guy unless it is themselves.

I guess the system would require that a 32-player draw would use 7 seeds by rankings and then pick the dark horse from the remaining ~20 players. Qualifiers and wild cards could not be voted for. The simplicity of current system would be lost but usually there is a dangerous floater or two that no seeded player wants to face, and the whole point of seeding is to give the accomplished players some comfort in not having to face other top dogs in the first rounds.

On occasions where the #8 would be Volandri in Halle or Srichaphan in Berlin, this is a no-brainer. When the eighth seed is a potential finalist, he'll be likely selected anyway. The amount of voted seeds would have to scale by tournament, though. Four in Grand Slams etc.

The players might not be too enthusiastic about this, though. I imagine they don't want any additional forms to fill before a tournament and might not have the time to get familiar with the entry list in advance, etc. A tennis geek like Murray might not mind but some of the other pros seem pretty detached about things like this.

HNCS
04-01-2008, 10:52 AM
longer grass court season, and can we PLEASE have a Grass Master???? and MORE GRASS tournies??!!! it's fading!! it's fading!!!

bokehlicious
04-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Tennis should be played exclusively on clay :inlove: :inlove:

:D

tennis2tennis
04-01-2008, 11:11 AM
FASHION

Oh no you don’t…
Hotpants are not shorts (WTA)!

I don’t care if your both sponsored by adidas your not to wear the same shirt

How about

Your name on the back of your shirt, (£$$$££££)

FANS

Any fans screaming C’mon (insert preferred player) just as player is about to serve is immediately ejected

COACHES

All coached should be made to sit on their (handcuffed) hands..

CELEBRATIONS

C’mon’s and Vamos should only be said in Arabic, Swahili, Latin or Aramaic

Any player who lifts his shirt in celebration should be taser gunned on the nibbles by stewards

COMMENTATING

No American with the name Mary and Carillo should NOT be allowed anywhere near a microphone

FluffyYellowBall
04-01-2008, 11:16 AM
FASHION

Oh no you donítÖ
Hotpants are not shorts (WTA)!

I donít care if your both sponsored by adidas your not to wear the same shirt

How about

Your name on the back of your shirt, (£$$$££££)

FANS

Any fans screaming Címon (insert preferred player) just as player is about to serve is immediately ejected

COACHES

All coached should be made to sit on their (handcuffed) hands..

CELEBRATIONS

Címonís and Vamos should only be said in Arabic, Swahili, Latin or Aramaic

Any player who lifts his shirt in celebration should be taser gunned on the nibbles by stewards

COMMENTATING

No American with the name Mary and Carillo should be allowed anywhere near a microphone

U missed Gimlestob:o

MariaV
04-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Tennis should be played exclusively on clay :inlove: :inlove:

:D

No no, on hard courts only of course. :angel: :D

elessar
04-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Imagine Federer with that rule - if he hits a forehand into the stands, he can challenge...
I thought that was already going on :shrug:
Ban Federer from hitting good forehands. That would make it fair.
I thought that was already going on too :shrug:

Injury timeouts should only be allowed at the end of the set. If you can't complete the set without treatment then tough shit, you forfeit it.

And if this seems too extreme then at the very least ban timeouts in the middle of games. It happens pretty rarely but it's a joke when it does.
Agreed:)unless they have a really serous injury like cramps or blisters

Chiseller
04-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Chair Umpire: "Roddick Fan 45, please take your seat."
Crowd: "45! 45!"

:haha:

Neely
04-01-2008, 12:34 PM
On some days, I would especially like to see the let serve abolished as many other people too, maybe it because it annoys me so much then. Most are well returnable anyway and the few ones who are really nasty, then it's bad luck. But the players were against it so far.

And allow coaching in all events. Does tennis need to be special in this case? Maybe yes, because most other sports allow it. How often does coaching appear in tennis and how many warnings are given for it? Maybe some of you remind such a happening, but they really don't need to stick to this rule if they're even less observing it than the allowed time between points.

I'm not so sure about the term itself. Because even medical journals refer to blisters as "injuries". If they are really not, then the main reason is probably a linguistic blur which is just too common in everyday life, and which even find its way into the scienfitic field.

Anyway, I think you are going the wrong way because you are making it more complicated because you are adding to the rule (because you're saying only for "real" injuries). No, it would be better to say: One medical timeout for whatever reason (retape, blister, cramp, hurting shoulder, ankle, etc.) and that was it for the rest of the match. Not two medical timeouts for two different injuries.

HoistDaColors
04-01-2008, 02:03 PM
There are clear differences blisters and I have injured my ankle as well, like the body going one way and the ankle didn't go, therefore it was sprained and swollen. Not for a minute did I think it was blisters, and blisters just don't come out of nowhere, like an injured ankle does.

There is no debate to this.

The twisted ankle is just an example. You can use an inflamed knee if you want.

All I am saying is that if the body's response to distress is the same, i.e. using the same neural circuitry--cells of the damaged part of the body releases substance P, that stimulates the nerve endings and an electrical impulse is sent to the central nervous system to tell the body it is in distress--then why do we must distinguish the two. If your so called "real injuries" elicit the same physiological response in the body as the "non real injuries", then why do we must write a rule separating the two. The body make no such distinction in telling itself that it is in distress. It sends the same signal either way. Why should there be a rule that make such distinction.

Can we not let the players decide whether to heed to signals the body is telling them? If they tough it out, more power to them. If they decide to take a medical timeout...when sh*t, why am I being presumptuous to think that it doesn't hurt like a motherbrother. Also, if players continue to play and pop the blister, wouldn't that increase the susceptibility of getting infected because of the open wound?

Mannboy
04-01-2008, 02:53 PM
have triples aswell as singles and doubles :lol:

Sunset of Age
04-01-2008, 03:12 PM
:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

And when players get theirs challenges wrong, then linesmans can french kiss them if they want. So if you see a potencial gay as a linesman, better think twise before you make a challenge:devil:

Or... take advantage of it! :drool: :p

Clay Death
04-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Or... take advantage of it! :drool: :p

Lendl says its time to get rid of one of the serves and just have one serve. he says it will make the game more interesting.

i think he is right.

Roland9
04-01-2008, 03:23 PM
* Cleaning the clay during
EVERY
SINGLE
FUCKING
BREAK

Indeed...

It's very doable and makes sense.

BodyServe
04-01-2008, 03:31 PM
When a player won the toss and choose to serve first and then broke for the set i think he should serve second in the 2nd set.
I think it's unfair that the same player has to serve under pressure.

Henry Chinaski
04-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Agreed:)unless they have a really serous injury like cramps or blisters

don't forget the serious can't-swallow-a-piece-of-banana-problem

first midgame timeout I've seen in ages last night(since Estoril last year,no prizes for guessing what player).
Again showed how ridiculous it is. If you smash yourself in the head with your racquet you shouldn't gain an advantage from it.

Action Jackson
04-02-2008, 04:42 AM
The twisted ankle is just an example. You can use an inflamed knee if you want.

All I am saying is that if the body's response to distress is the same, i.e. using the same neural circuitry--cells of the damaged part of the body releases substance P, that stimulates the nerve endings and an electrical impulse is sent to the central nervous system to tell the body it is in distress--then why do we must distinguish the two. If your so called "real injuries" elicit the same physiological response in the body as the "non real injuries", then why do we must write a rule separating the two. The body make no such distinction in telling itself that it is in distress. It sends the same signal either way. Why should there be a rule that make such distinction.

Can we not let the players decide whether to heed to signals the body is telling them? If they tough it out, more power to them. If they decide to take a medical timeout...when sh*t, why am I being presumptuous to think that it doesn't hurt like a motherbrother. Also, if players continue to play and pop the blister, wouldn't that increase the susceptibility of getting infected because of the open wound?

Why write the above. It's not the point, blisters and cramps are not injuries, this is simple. So why try and use psychological mumbo-jumbo when I have already countered that.

I went to one of my lecturers at uni from the Medical school and I asked him if I was to come in and say that blisters or cramps are injuries, what would happen to me? He burst out laughing and said I'd fail you from the course and ask you to enrol in something else.

Action Jackson
04-02-2008, 04:47 AM
I'm not so sure about the term itself. Because even medical journals refer to blisters as "injuries". If they are really not, then the main reason is probably a linguistic blur which is just too common in everyday life, and which even find its way into the scienfitic field.

Anyway, I think you are going the wrong way because you are making it more complicated because you are adding to the rule (because you're saying only for "real" injuries). No, it would be better to say: One medical timeout for whatever reason (retape, blister, cramp, hurting shoulder, ankle, etc.) and that was it for the rest of the match. Not two medical timeouts for two different injuries.

How is something created from excess sweat causing friction an injury?

No, you don't need a medical timeout to retape strapping on your ankles or something, that can be done at a change of an end or at the end of a set, same with blisters. If a player is feeling cramp coming along, then get up and stretch it out, it doesn't need the 90 sec diagnosis, then 3 minutes and this is in addition to the trainer getting to the court.

Players should be punished for not handling the conditions, lack of sodium intake, making sure they have done the physical preparation to prevents cramping, but having enough fuel in their system and replacing with the right combo of electrolytes and water.

HoistDaColors
04-02-2008, 05:03 AM
Why write the above. It's not the point, blisters and cramps are not injuries, this is simple. So why try and use psychological mumbo-jumbo when I have already countered that.

I went to one of my lecturers at uni from the Medical school and I asked him if I was to come in and say that blisters or cramps are injuries, what would happen to me? He burst out laughing and said I'd fail you from the course and ask you to enrol in something else.

sorry about my first post. I should have said physiological response not psycological. Physiological response is the same for all bodily distress and that was what my last post is about. I didn't say anything about the mind-body-behavior relationship mumbo jumbo.

I don't care if cramps and blisters are injuries. I obviously won't go to the doctor myself for those things. But at the same time, I wouldn't continue to push my body if I have those conditions. Players have to continue to push their body even in those conditions. I agree with Neely why complicate things by dictating what's worthy of a timeout and what's not. They should have limited timeout and they should use it with their own discretion.

I still think players should treat the blisters if it does surface. The fluid pouch is there because the blood vessel became leaky and the serum form a cushion under the damaged skin. If the fluid can leak out, then microbes can also easily get in (if the blister pops).

HoistDaColors
04-02-2008, 05:15 AM
Players should be punished for not handling the conditions, lack of sodium intake, making sure they have done the physical preparation to prevents cramping, but having enough fuel in their system and replacing with the right combo of electrolytes and water.

I am not and will never be a professional athlete. But I imagine it would be hard to adjust to the different environment conditions that they play in. Desert one week, hot humid beach the next. I think they do the best they can to regulate their body. I don't think at that level, any of the players intentionally tries to cramp up during a match. They do everything to their best of their knowledge to get prepare. To penalize them for something they do their best to try to control but may fail once in a while is not just.