"*"FED having a McEnroe 85 season [slamless in 08]?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

"*"FED having a McEnroe 85 season [slamless in 08]??

CmonAussie
03-31-2008, 04:41 PM
:wavey:
:cool:
:devil:
:sad:
...I`m getting a little pessimistic about FED & RAFA`s 2008 campaign [as they both seem to have become SF fodder in big tourneys (witness AO & IW)]:eek:

#@@#...Scratching my brain for an anolgy i was thinking about a few anomolies in tennis history, where players who looked set to have truly glorious careers suddenly began losing, just after a period of dominance:o

>>
*""*FED analogy: 2008 could be similar to McEnroe`s 1985, where Bad Mac failed to win a slam & only a couple of MM tourneys, despite utter dominance in 1984 [won 13 tourneys, won USO & Wimby + FO final].
or Wilander`s 1989, where Mats failed to win any titles, despite utter dominance in 1988 [won 3-slams].

>>
"^^"RAFA analogy: 2008 could be similar to Courier`s 1994, where Jim failed to win a slam & only one MM tourney, despite a spectacular run 1991-93 [won AOx2 & FOx2, plus 3-other Slam finals].

~~~~~~
I`m not predicting anything ridiculous, like Djokovic winning the Golden Slam, though I can see Nole adding the USO title to his AO win, but for some reason i`ve got premonition that neither FED nor RAFA will win a slam in 2008:eek::eek:

Does anyone else also get the same funny feeling that 2008 will go from bad to worse for the former FED/RAFA duopoly:confused::confused:

CyBorg
03-31-2008, 05:46 PM
Looks like Djoko has weathered the storm of losing in Miami. Despite the loss to Anderson he apparently is still better than Federer according to MTF's populace.

CmonAussie
03-31-2008, 05:50 PM
Looks like Djoko has weathered the storm of losing in Miami. Despite the loss to Anderson he apparently is still better than Federer according to MTF's populace.

I`m not suggesting Djoko dominating, just a premonition i have about FED & RAFA going slamless in 08:eek:

I think we may well have a couple of other surprise slam winners in 08: maybe Roddick @ Wimby & Nalby @ FO:confused:

**Remember 2002: AO [ToJo], FO [Costa], Wimby [Llegs], USO [Pete];)

jonny84
03-31-2008, 05:52 PM
I am pretty sure that Nadal will retain his Roland Garros crown as will Federer with his Wimbledon crown. US Open is probably open up to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

CmonAussie
03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
I am pretty sure that Nadal will retain his Roland Garros crown as will Federer with his Wimbledon crown. US Open is probably open up to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

so you see FED winning a record 6th successive Wimby then [pressure won`t get to him]:confused:
also you see RAFA winning a 4th FO in a row:confused:

so when will FED & RAFA`s respective runs @ their fav slams end??
##it`s the law of averages, that both are due to have their streaks broken!!

Branimir
03-31-2008, 06:02 PM
For fuck sake, I am neither Rafa's nor Fed's fan, but please stop this bullshit already. Is it so fucking hard to take that someone else has won a slam after more than 4 years!? It's 3 slams left, not 1, not 2, 3...

Roland9
03-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Federer is not McEnroe.

Nadal is not Courier.

stebs
03-31-2008, 06:04 PM
It's possible but your having a 'premonition' doesn't make me any the more confident of the possibility.

CmonAussie
03-31-2008, 06:07 PM
For fuck sake, I am neither Rafa's nor Fed's fan, but please stop this bullshit already. Is it so fucking hard to take that someone else has won a slam after more than 4 years!? It's 3 slams left, not 1, not 2, 3...

#I`m not just talking about AO

...FED`s poor run began when he was thrashed back-to-back by Nalbandian last October!
...RAFA hasn`t won a tourney since July last year & he`s now routinely thrashed on hardcourts!

CmonAussie
03-31-2008, 06:11 PM
Federer is not McEnroe.

Nadal is not Courier.

;)
fair enough!

<>point remains that nobody expected McEnroe`s dominance to disappear so abruptly after his 84 season!
#Borg, Wilander, Courier etc. are other examples of players who mysteriously failed to add to their slam tallies after several dominant years [all of them faded suddenly in their mid-20s].

~*BGT*~
03-31-2008, 06:13 PM
I`m not suggesting Djoko dominating, just a premonition i have about FED & RAFA going slamless in 08:eek:

I think we may well have a couple of other surprise slam winners in 08: maybe Roddick @ Wimby & Nalby @ FO:confused:

**Remember 2002: AO [ToJo], FO [Costa], Wimby [Llegs], USO [Pete];)

I like how you think CmonAussie. ;) :p

Herdwick
03-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Thought Nadal was very impressive last night against Kiefer - played better than I've seen him for some months. He's got something to prove; I think (and hope) people are writing him off too quickly. The man has more will to win than just about anyone out there.

Am not sure about Fed - more question marks there I think. Don't think he played to 2006 levels in the whole of 2007 (save the AO v Roddick) - to me his playing style has fundamentally altered. Pride is stung to be sure so we will see.

CmonAussie
03-31-2008, 06:20 PM
Thought Nadal was very impressive last night against Kiefer - played better than I've seen him for some months. He's got something to prove; I think (and hope) people are writing him off too quickly. The man has more will to win than just about anyone out there.

Am not sure about Fed - more question marks there I think. Don't think he played to 2006 levels in the whole of 2007 (save the AO v Roddick) - to me his playing style has fundamentally altered. Pride is stung to be sure so we will see.

Thanks for a thoughtful response:cool:

Yeah the jury is still out obviously;)
Of course if FED or RAFA win Miami that will do a lot to help one of them (confidence wise).

Anyway i thought i`d share my premonition & the next few months will give us the `proof in the pudding`(whether i`m right or wrong):devil::angel:

gnaz
03-31-2008, 06:25 PM
...I`m getting a little pessimistic about FED & RAFA`s 2008 campaign [as they both seem to have become SF fodder in big tourneys (witness AO & IW)]:eek:

#@@#...Scratching my brain for an anolgy i was thinking about a few anomolies in tennis history, where players who looked set to have truly glorious careers suddenly began losing, just after a period of dominance:o

>>
*""*FED analogy: 2008 could be similar to McEnroe`s 1985, where Bad Mac failed to win a slam & only a couple of MM tourneys, despite utter dominance in 1984 [won 13 tourneys, won USO & Wimby + FO final].
or Wilander`s 1989, where Mats failed to win any titles, despite utter dominance in 1988 [won 3-slams].

>>
"^^"RAFA analogy: 2008 could be similar to Courier`s 1994, where Jim failed to win a slam & only one MM tourney, despite a spectacular run 1991-93 [won AOx2 & FOx2, plus 3-other Slam finals].

~~~~~~
I`m not predicting anything ridiculous, like Djokovic winning the Golden Slam, though I can see Nole adding the USO title to his AO win, but for some reason i`ve got premonition that neither FED nor RAFA will win a slam in 2008:eek::eek:

Does anyone else also get the same funny feeling that 2008 will go from bad to worse for the former FED/RAFA duopoly:confused::confused:

That would be horrible.... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

DrJules
03-31-2008, 09:41 PM

>>

>>

~~~~~~

Probably less likely than Djokovic winning AO, FO, Wimbledon and US Open this year.

ionah
03-31-2008, 10:03 PM
djokovic will win ao, wimbledon and uso in 08.

Herdwick
03-31-2008, 10:12 PM
djokovic will win ao, wimbledon and uso in 08.

Can feel the waves of goodwill already...

NYCtennisfan
04-01-2008, 01:04 AM
JMac dominated the early part of 1985 just like he dominated 1984. He won his first 20 matches, his first 4 tournaments and lost only 2 sets in the process. Then he won another title, got to two finals, and got the SF's of Wimby. Then the rest of the year was off although he won more big titles and got to the finals of the USO where Lendl won and finally got to #1. Federer's started off a lot slower than Jmac in 2008.

Marek.
04-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Don't see it happening.

CmonAussie
04-01-2008, 02:35 AM
JMac dominated the early part of 1985 just like he dominated 1984. He won his first 20 matches, his first 4 tournaments and lost only 2 sets in the process. Then he won another title, got to two finals, and got the SF's of Wimby. Then the rest of the year was off although he won more big titles and got to the finals of the USO where Lendl won and finally got to #1. Federer's started off a lot slower than Jmac in 2008.

as usual you really know your stats NYCtennisfan:cool:
i didn`t realise McEnroe`s 85 season included so many tourney wins, obviously he played pretty well, but just came up short in the majors:devil:

***so the FED analogy mighht be somewhere between McEnroe`s 85 & Wilander`s 89;)

Action Jackson
04-01-2008, 03:14 AM
Knee jerk reaction.

Ackms421
04-01-2008, 03:53 AM
I think if Nadal loses an entire step, he would still defend his FO title this year. It just wouldn't be as easy...

...it's gonna take a bigger drop in form than he's currently experiencing for him to relinquish Paris. In the past three years people have gotten closer to Federer off of clay than they have to Nadal on clay...He's miles and miles ahead of everyone else...and contrary to popular belief, I think he's improved over the past three years. He may not be quite as quick as he once was, but he's a much better tennis player.

Sunset of Age
04-01-2008, 03:54 AM
:help:

jagan
04-01-2008, 04:37 AM
Fed to win at least one this year. No enough for #1 though!

CmonAussie
04-04-2008, 03:14 AM
~~~~
FED`s expected/unexpected loss @ the hands of A.Rod [who Roger has dominated over for 5-years] today just goes to further my belief that Roger may well go slamless in 2008!!!

RAFA`s playing well this tourney but i expect him to lose in the SFs or final.

Marek.
04-04-2008, 03:20 AM
I still don't see it happening.

Regenbogen
04-04-2008, 03:24 AM
I don't really understand why so many think Nadal is doing horribly this year...there's really no way to tell until the clay, he's had plenty of random losses on hard and probably always will.

TankingTheSet
04-04-2008, 03:32 AM
I don't really understand why so many think Nadal is doing horribly this year...there's really no way to tell until the clay, he's had plenty of random losses on hard and probably always will.

I think he has done pretty well in IW/Miami, better than most people expected -- and this time he didn't exactly have easy draws like he did in the AO. Beating Blake (2x) and Tsonga who both beat him before must have helped his confidence.

Sunset of Age
04-04-2008, 03:32 AM

Indeed. He's doing very well IMHO, except for that freaky loss in Rotterdam - very consistent, overall good results. I won't be too surprised if he'd take Miami now.

FedFan_2007
04-07-2008, 01:18 AM
ionah:

You should be banned for being a really obnoxious Djoko-tard. You def will be leading 2008 ACC contender!

CmonAussie
04-07-2008, 05:37 AM
bump

...so far FED & RAFA have really had the worst possible imaginable start to 08:eek:

#@@#.FED has played 4-tourneys & he`s zero/4 [titles]

%""%.RAFA has played 7-tourneys & he`s zero/7 [titles]

<>therefore FED & RAFA combined are zero/11 in 08:o

fast_clay
06-14-2008, 07:22 PM
One for the historians out thre cos i was just looking through the history books to see if I could find a season of dominance followed by one of mediocrity by comparison...

McEnroe's 1985 was it.

McEnroe took a sabatical after the last dominant season he had 1984... he never won another Grand Slam...

I know Federer didnt take a sabatical... and is still beating most that stand before him... but, he has looked sluggish and half alseep in matches compared with years previous when he just looked serene and relaxed.

The FO final maybe told a story...

i know myself... after having glandular fever... i never felt the same for a few years.

octatennis
06-14-2008, 07:26 PM
sampras 2001 although reached us open final.

Burrow
06-14-2008, 07:28 PM
He won the US Open in 2002.
Also only won Wimbledon in 2000.

fast_clay
06-14-2008, 07:29 PM
sampras 2001 although reached us open final.

sampras had a long career... won USO in '02 yeah...? so... wasnt the end...

+... if federer does find it hard... then, it would be like mac's GS career... over prematurely...

a GSlam career over before it should have been i guess was the similarity i was alluding to sorry...

octatennis
06-14-2008, 07:33 PM
if you won one grand slam in a season can not be considered as a bad year, even if you won the four GS the year before.

octatennis
06-14-2008, 07:41 PM
sampras had a long career... won USO in '02 yeah...? so... wasnt the end...

+... if federer does find it hard... then, it would be like mac's GS career... over prematurely...

a GSlam career over before it should have been i guess was the similarity i was alluding to sorry...

ooohhh clear..:wavey:

if federer does not win wimbledon this year then we will be sure of his similarity to mcenroe's 85 curse year.

Jelena
06-14-2008, 07:47 PM
hey, what is going on here? As far as I remember Roger won this year one tournament, reached 3 Masters Series finals, one Grand Slam final and one Grand Slam semifinal. (If there are any faults in this stats now, forgive me, I didn't check it back on atp-website.) I think at least 700 other professionals who are on the Ranking of ATP would be more than happy to have such a list of successes in 6 months, starting already at Rank #20 or 25. So stop talking that Roger is bad this year. He may be worse than he played in the last years, but still he is one of the best. :rolleyes:

Fedex
06-14-2008, 09:10 PM
Um, you might just want to wait for Wimbledon and the US Open to conclude (where Federer has won the last combined 9 times) before you come to such conclusions. Federer could still win two slams; it's plausible.

Typical MTF knee-jerk reaction.

fast_clay
06-14-2008, 09:12 PM
if you won one grand slam in a season can not be considered as a bad year, even if you won the four GS the year before.

agreed...

luvly1
06-14-2008, 09:15 PM

Making it to the final of a slam would be great because come on that is a career for some people.

octatennis
06-14-2008, 09:19 PM
Making it to the final of a slam would be great because come on that is a career for some people.

i don't say a runner up in grand slam is mediocre or something, but talking about all the succed he had, it is ''little'' compare the whole things he got. :wavey:

luvly1
06-14-2008, 09:28 PM
i don't say a runner up in grand slam is mediocre or something, but talking about all the succed he had, it is ''little'' compare the whole things he got. :wavey:

I understand I was trying to make a point you know kind of like if being a runner up is great imagine what winning is for a career. :)

Kuhne
06-15-2008, 12:33 AM
specialy if that only slam you win is wimbledon. in eyes of hardcore tennis fans Wimbledon is just another slam but in reality and in the eyes of most casual spectators, wimbledon is the world cup/superbowl/heavyweigh championship of the world - of tennis. look what it did for Goran Ivanisevic.

So if Roger only wins wimbledon this year, its more than enough, specialy since he will have 6 in a row. probably the sickest record in the history of the sport.

keroni
06-15-2008, 01:56 AM
he has had a similar year to '05 so far in terms of GS. though with far more losses otherwise.

sports freak
06-15-2008, 01:58 AM
One for the historians out thre cos i was just looking through the history books to see if I could find a season of dominance followed by one of mediocrity by comparison...

McEnroe's 1985 was it.

McEnroe took a sabatical after the last dominant season he had 1984... he never won another Grand Slam...

I know Federer didnt take a sabatical... and is still beating most that stand before him... but, he has looked sluggish and half alseep in matches compared with years previous when he just looked serene and relaxed.

The FO final maybe told a story...

i know myself... after having glandular fever... i never felt the same for a few years.

Good points!Glandular fever can take you out for up to 6 months and with a professional athlete such as Roger and his stature it could take longer!!My ex gf years ago had the fever and she just had absolute no energy and was pretty much bedridden!!Many people dont realise how this sickness is like and how the effects of it!!

fast_clay
06-15-2008, 03:42 AM
Good points!Glandular fever can take you out for up to 6 months and with a professional athlete such as Roger and his stature it could take longer!!My ex gf years ago had the fever and she just had absolute no energy and was pretty much bedridden!!Many people dont realise how this sickness is like and how the effects of it!!

being awake 6 hours a day for a month and dragging myself into the sun for most of it is what i remember around 2000 olympics... glandular really caused me some issues for a while... a pretty japanese girl passed it on... :) its argued that, undiagnosed fever or ill-advised action leads to the dreaded chronic fatigue...

CmonAussie
06-15-2008, 04:57 PM

;)
I had glandular fever when i was 21yrs & can honestly say it took a full 24 months to get back to feeling 100%. Of course Federer- being an elite athlete is able to recover more quickly... still i find it quite remarkable that he`s performing so well less than 6 months later. If Roger manages to win 1 slam this year [Wimby or USO] that would be fantastic~ he need not pressure himself to finish #1 again this year>> leave that up to Rafa & Djoko for 08.

CmonAussie
07-04-2008, 09:00 AM
the next 2 matches are the moment of truth for FED in 2008:

WIN Wimby 08:
= all time record of 6 straight
= overcomes glandular fever for successful season
= probably will manage to maintain #1 ranking
= most probably will break/equal Sampras`s record of 14 slams
= most likely will break/equal Sampras`s record of 7 Wimby titles

LOSE Wimby 08:
= probably won`t win USO either & go slamless in 08
= perhaps won`t win anymore Wimby titles
= perhaps won`t break/equal Sampras`s record
= most surely will lose #1 ranking
= might be psychologically done [onslaught from Nadal & Djokovic]

Jimnik
07-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Even if he loses Wimby, he's still favourite at the USO. Nadal won't be a threat there and Djokovic is still underdog going into a match with him.

CmonAussie
07-08-2008, 08:36 AM
Even if he loses Wimby, he's still favourite at the USO. Nadal won't be a threat there and Djokovic is still underdog going into a match with him.

...I`d like to think you`re right, but i`m worried that FED is so psychologically bruised from the losses this year~ esp @ AO, FO & mostly Wimby:sad::: that he won`t be able to recover his best form @ USO:confused:

spriwi
07-08-2008, 09:24 AM
...I`d like to think you`re right, but i`m worried that FED is so psychologically bruised from the losses this year~ esp @ AO, FO & mostly Wimby:sad::: that he won`t be able to recover his best form @ USO:confused:

i think you underestimate hig greatness, this loss will be just a huge incentive to put up more work and rock the flushing meadows once again.
champions like roger don't give up easily :cool:

Knightmace
07-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Federer can still win USopen don't think Nadal will be a threat there.

Mimi
07-08-2008, 09:42 AM
still think he will win us open this year, i remember my old pete came under the same situtaion in 1996 when he was slamness after wimby, he came on to wini us open, even throwing up against Alex Correjta :worship:

Sunset of Age
07-08-2008, 09:43 AM
i think you underestimate hig greatness, this loss will be just a huge incentive to put up more work and rock the flushing meadows once again.
champions like roger don't give up easily :cool:

Exactly. This fellow is a great CHAMPION for more than one reason, one of them being mental toughness. Of course he'll feel gutted for a few days, and perhaps the loss will stay in the back of his mind for a while, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him coming back fighting like a lion at the USO. Moreover, I trust he will. Fellow-contenders, be afraid... be very afraid. ;)

CmonAussie
07-08-2008, 01:54 PM
still think he will win us open this year, i remember my old pete came under the same situtaion in 1996 when he was slamness after wimby, he came on to wini us open, even throwing up against Alex Correjta :worship:

yes good point about Pete & 1996:cool:
there is a differnce though: FED was very close to winning AO, was quite close @ FO, & extremely close @ Wimbledon<> so that`s 3 slams in a row where FED could have won, but came away empty:sad:

in 1996 Pete lost Rd.3 @ AO [to Philippousis], early @ FO, and QFs @ Wimby<> so he wasn`t close to winning at any of them!

therefore the psychological impact to FED is greater<> coming so close to winning those slams:sad:

#also Sampras never had a such a nemisis as RAFA is to FED;)

ys
07-08-2008, 02:46 PM
To me he is now more of a resemblance of Hingis-2000.. He is still making semis/finals here and there and ranked #1, but no more winning. Mentally and physically stronger players have arrived.

CmonAussie
07-08-2008, 03:12 PM
To me he is now more of a resemblance of Hingis-2000.. He is still making semis/finals here and there and ranked #1, but no more winning. Mentally and physically stronger players have arrived.

you`re comparying 3x AO, 1x Wimby & 1x USO champion Hingis with FED:confused:
~granted they both are Swiss:rolleyes:

Federerhingis
07-08-2008, 03:15 PM

I see where the comparison is somewhat similar, but thankfully for us Roger fans, he's a much better athlete and he's always been a natural athlete. Hingis was lazy beyond comparison, and relied too much on her court savvy and anticipation. That no longer worked after Venus, Davenport and Serena especially exposed her weakness, mainly that you could over-power her after hitting a monstrous first or second shot.

Federer has been slower movement wise this year and his groundies have lost some bite, but that is mainly a consequence of natural aging and the after math from mononucleosis.

Plus Federer has an actually dependable first serve and a still top notch forehand. Two things Hingis always lacked even at her best her first serve was only just good enough and placed very well and her forehand was just very consistent.

jonny84
07-08-2008, 03:57 PM
2008 is special though cos Federer can win the Olympics. I think and hope that he can either win the US Open, the Olympics or both.

Exodus
07-08-2008, 04:10 PM
US open is out of reach for federer he will go slamless in 2008 for sure. His volley and backhand is so weak that nadal will beat him quite easily

platinum
07-13-2008, 09:31 PM
FED is having a McEnroe 85 season... No slams this year....

~*BGT*~
07-14-2008, 01:24 AM
US open is out of reach for federer he will go slamless in 2008 for sure. His volley and backhand is so weak that nadal will beat him quite easily

Who said Nadal will even get to him? Rafa has had the worst results at the USO.

prima donna
09-09-2008, 01:08 AM
No.

Jaz
09-09-2008, 01:09 AM
I loled at the comments...

MatchFederer
09-09-2008, 01:10 AM
Affirmative.

HNCS
09-09-2008, 01:11 AM

and exactly 2 months later, Roger wins the USO.

not having a dig at you, since i was thinking the same thing 2 months ago. I'm just saying, how things change so quickly. :worship:

MacTheKnife
09-09-2008, 01:40 AM
How easy it is to look like a moron when statements like can't, never, out of reach, and not gonna happen are used.