time delay the pro-view [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

time delay the pro-view

tennis2tennis
03-31-2008, 11:21 AM
L’Equipe magazine did a former-player feedback on the nole ball bounce incident….

Novak Djokovic and the bounce ; the legends, player & expert verdict
29|March| 2008

Sampras - “The rules are the rules, you can bend it but you shouldn’t break it, you can go to a toilet brake when the momentum is against you, you can take an injury-time our when your just exhausted but you can’t break the time allowed”

Nadal - "Well, I think it's not nice for the other player to go to the umpire and go to say you have to put [a] time violation to other player, no, because the umpire is there for this. So you don't have to do that, no?"

Tsonga - "Because when you play Rafa or Novak, it's difficult when they put like 25 times the ball on the ground. You never know when he's going to serve. Yeah, it's tough, but it's the game and there is [an] umpire here [to] respect the rule. That's it. So I have nothing to say about it. I just have to play."

Nastase - “I would throw my racket straight at his face and no I’m not kidding”

McEnroe - “As someone who always pushed the boundaries I’m going to say it’s not Nole that people should be upset with, it’s the umpire his or her job is to follow the rules to the letter, they shouldn’t wait for the opponent to complain, what happened last week was simply for the first time an umpire decided that the rules are their to be observed.”

Pat Rafter - “I like Djokovic he’s a natural talent and a great personality to the game, but his coaching team should’ve sorted it out earlier maybe if he got burned in the early years he would have grown out of it.”

Peter Bodo, TENNIS.com - “The informal gentleman's agreement to ignore the basic rules of tennis regarding the continuity of play is proving to be a drag on the game, an irritant to broadcasters who often would like things to go a little more quickly, and some of the competitors.
The ATP, WTA and ITF should review the 25/20-second rule, and some match-play tapes, to determine whether the 25/20-second rule is still sensible and enforceable. If it is, enforce it. If not, change the rule and enforce the new one.”

FedererSlam
03-31-2008, 11:29 AM
I agree with Nastase what a legend to say that

maxxo
03-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Nastase :haha: :haha:

TheMightyFed
03-31-2008, 12:00 PM
Boring to watch, and unfair for the opponent to do it even more at key moments (cf. break points for Fish in 3rd set of IW finals).
Djoko is hated by a lot of people, he should stop behaving like that. He reduced the number of medical timeouts, he should manage to reduce the number of bounces.
But maybe Rafter is right, it is too late now...

KitinovRules
03-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Let's hope that the Faker next time will not break the time limit, though it is not very likely to do it.
He will conitinue to do that until some Ummpire with the balls (like Norm did) gave him time violation.
Otherwise he'll continue that with the umpires like Cedrick the Dick.

And it is indeed irritating and annoying and takes the concentration off of the returner.

tennis2tennis
03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
what do u guys make of nadal's views?

tennis2tennis
03-31-2008, 12:23 PM
Nastase :haha: :haha:

I love the older players, they were the PR free generation,:worship: who were honest and blunt, it might be controversial but its far more interesting and colourful accounts than the mandatory..

"yeah he's great but blah blah..."

KitinovRules
03-31-2008, 12:24 PM
He's got once warning.
2006 RG against Ljubo in SF, and only since Ljubo protested.

I think Faker is more irritating than Rafa.

cobalt60
03-31-2008, 01:05 PM
I would not just single out Nole for the time infraction. There are a number of players who abuse time. :shrug:

Sunset of Age
03-31-2008, 02:00 PM

I agree with him 1000%. It's the umpire who should enforce the rules, noone else. Of course, he's been warned himself a couple of times, but I think he very well understands why, and he's shown to be capable of agreeing with the umpires' decision in those cases - and rightly so. I've seen him at least trying to speed up his serve motion after a warning, so he takes those warnings to heart. :yeah:

Nole... quite a different case :rolleyes: (as far as it's up to me to judge at all). I can well understand Nasty's reaction, :lol:.