Tennis should be played in the rain. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Tennis should be played in the rain.

Jaap
03-31-2008, 12:11 AM
Unless the rain is totally ridiculous, tennis shouldn't be stopped for rain. Would add extra drama and it will be good watching these pansy tennis players slip and slide all over the place. Ok, they might get injuries.....but shit happens.

l_mac
03-31-2008, 12:13 AM
:lol:

:yeah:

Merton
03-31-2008, 12:15 AM
Absolutely, as long as when "shit happens" the ATP compensates the players from taxing tennis gamblers.

Quality thinking.

Clay Death
03-31-2008, 12:16 AM
Unless the rain is totally ridiculous, tennis shouldn't be stopped for rain. Would add extra drama and it will be good watching these pansy tennis players slip and slide all over the place. Ok, they might get injuries.....but shit happens.

lay off crack.

FluffyYellowBall
03-31-2008, 12:18 AM
It would if the lines werent slippery...Why is it the lines? Are the plastic on hard courts? I dont think so so y is it a big deal.? And on grass, maybe they should just paint the lines at Wimbledon..Then we wont hae any rain delays and it will be just like a football match.

Pixie
03-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Gamblers should be put behind closed doors. They could follow matches live (on scoreboards of course)and everytime they'd insult a player they'd get a punch. Ok they'd probably be cerebral haemorrages in the end but...shit happens.

FNT
03-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Sure, let's also have some tourneys on ice and sand. Just for the hell of it!

camnation
03-31-2008, 12:32 AM
What about a tightrope? You fall, you die. How's that for excitement?

Jade Fox
03-31-2008, 12:35 AM

What about a tightrope? You fall, you die. How's that for excitement?

You want excitement? How about making players play on fire hot coal bare footed?

Bet no one will slack off then.:devil:

FluffyYellowBall
03-31-2008, 12:40 AM
You want excitement? How about making players play on fire hot coal bare footed?

Bet no one will slack off then.:devil:
That will make Nadal forever number one because he walked on water so coal wont be a big deal:devil:

Smoke944
03-31-2008, 12:50 AM
Playing in snow is where it's at :cool:

TMJordan
03-31-2008, 12:54 AM
I agree, most other major sports do, most of these guys are pansys.

Jade Fox
03-31-2008, 01:00 AM
That will make Nadal forever number one because he walked on water so coal wont be a big deal:devil:

How about playing bare footed on broken glass? I mean, I love Nadal and everything but we should keep a level playing field here.:p

FluffyYellowBall
03-31-2008, 01:17 AM
How about playing bare footed on broken glass? I mean, I love Nadal and everything but we should keep a level playing field here.:p

Walking on water IS the shit! No contest!

gusman890
03-31-2008, 01:19 AM
The only thing is hard courts.

You can slip and roll an ankle easily. Been there :)

Clay should become a mud war.

Voo de Mar
03-31-2008, 01:20 AM

I agree.

Corey Feldman
03-31-2008, 02:40 AM
Agreed, they should put on a pair of welly boots, man up and just deal with the elements

platinum
03-31-2008, 02:46 AM
No, it shouldn't.

finishingmove
03-31-2008, 03:48 AM

were u ever in the proximity of a tennis ball?

*Viva Chile*
03-31-2008, 04:00 AM
Thread of the year :retard:

Kolya
03-31-2008, 10:10 AM
It would be cool to see them play in the rain.

Players will adapt to the weather, they won't be running at 100% so not as many injuries would occur... maybe :p

Cat123
03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
I didn't think it was so much to do with safety, I thought it was just because tennis balls don't bounce that well when wet?

It's funny how yesterday with was rainging on Nadal and Serena's courts but not Lena's ;)

Dougie
03-31-2008, 03:35 PM
I didn't think it was so much to do with safety, I thought it was just because tennis balls don't bounce that well when wet?

It's funny how yesterday with was rainging on Nadal and Serena's courts but not Lena's ;)

It is mostly a safety issue. Playing on a wet hard court is ridicilously dangerous to your ankles. In theory, it could be done on clay and grass, but the quality would be awful and it would be an awful way to decide a match.

dijus
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
it's surely not worse idea than some Mr.Disney's conception...

NinaNina19
03-31-2008, 04:00 PM
My dad once suggested they make the players play without water breaks :haha: . AO would be fun.

Justin425
03-31-2008, 04:04 PM

:haha::haha::haha:

Masta_Rue
03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
Sorry but this suggestion is just crap.. you can't play tennis with a ball that is full of water and has got the double or triple weight of a normal tennis ball

Auscon
03-31-2008, 04:24 PM

I recall reading an old interview with either Rosewall or Laver (or it could have been in John Newcombes autobiography...one of those 3) where they mentioned playing on a court that was laid on top of an ice hockey rink, and if they had to run too far to the side to get a ball, they'd hit ice

Jaap
03-31-2008, 04:27 PM
were u ever in the proximity of a tennis ball?

I have played on tennis courts which have had a puddle of piss around the baseline with some dog shit in the forecourt.....not to mention tons of leaves in the autumn and snow in the winter. No reason why these pansy tennis players shouldn't play in a bit of drizzle. :rolleyes:

Adler
03-31-2008, 04:38 PM
No

lorenz
03-31-2008, 04:46 PM
I played on wet clay, and after a while is very slippery, so is very dangerous !!

Auscon
03-31-2008, 04:50 PM
I have played on tennis courts which have had a puddle of piss around the baseline with some dog shit in the forecourt.....not to mention tons of leaves in the autumn and snow in the winter. No reason why these pansy tennis players shouldn't play in a bit of drizzle. :rolleyes:

I've played plenty of times in the rain, just because I hardly get to play as much as I want to, so I still have fun, but it wouldn't be much fun to watch seeing as the balls just die the second they hit the court. I don't see the entertainment factor in that.

Would be good for a few super slow-mo shots though

tennisman.
03-31-2008, 04:52 PM
Agreed

Vass
03-31-2008, 05:08 PM
The ligaments in the players wrists will break (because of heavy balls), ankles would get rolled, and if we're lucky, limbs will be broken.:yeah:

CmonAussie
03-31-2008, 05:14 PM
The only thing is hard courts.

You can slip and roll an ankle easily. Been there :)

Clay should become a mud war.

i think clay court tennis in light rain is perfectly OK, because it`s safe>> of course if the mud war gets to the point where the ball is sticking to the court then maybe it`s time to suspend play:devil:

TheBoiledEgg
03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Jaap must be Bush's personal advisor :retard:

dam0dred
03-31-2008, 05:50 PM
This thread is a joke right?

Henry Chinaski
03-31-2008, 07:48 PM

Don't forget the empty beer cans and discarded syringes in the corner.

RagingLamb
03-31-2008, 08:09 PM
my ignore list gets longer every day

maria_marie
03-31-2008, 08:58 PM
:retard::silly: you have some interesting ideas. the hard courts are putting enough pressure on the knees and ankles of the players enough, I don't know who else except Monfils (who would even slide) would dare run from the one side of the court to the other. I've played with wet balls and I can say that they are too heavy and don;t bounce so there wouldn't be proper tennis. I don't want to see some wet limping idiots stretching for balls but high-quality tennis. This is possible when the conditions are suitabl

star
03-31-2008, 09:12 PM
It is mostly a safety issue. Playing on a wet hard court is ridicilously dangerous to your ankles. In theory, it could be done on clay and grass, but the quality would be awful and it would be an awful way to decide a match.

It's horribly slippery on wet grass. They do play in the rain on clay unless it's a real downpour.

Adler
03-31-2008, 10:09 PM
RG 2009 FINAL
Winner's joy. Yep, it was worth it

http://cypryss.ovh.org/08_2007/woodstock_bloto2.jpg

Jaap
03-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Don't forget the empty beer cans and discarded syringes in the corner.

Yep, that sounds like my local park tennis court.

And they wonder why England doesn't produce good tennis players? :rolleyes:

Jaap
03-31-2008, 10:11 PM
Ivanovic vs Sharapova in the rain on muddy clay court.

Cmon guys, you know it makes sense.

Nathaliia
03-31-2008, 10:15 PM
I think Belarus already started using ice on Davis Sup purposes

Nathaliia
03-31-2008, 10:25 PM
RG 2009 FINAL
Winner's joy. Yep, it was worth it

http://cypryss.ovh.org/08_2007/woodstock_bloto2.jpg
You took this photo in front of our 'dziekanat' today, I know.

Jimnik
03-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Agreed.

We also need to create some new playing surfaces and conditions. Playing on the Moon would be interesting.

Adler
03-31-2008, 10:27 PM
You took this photo in front of our 'dziekanat' today, I know.
Tell me about it. Well, I finally made my student's card valid, haha!

Nathaliia
03-31-2008, 10:33 PM
Tell me about it. Well, I finally made my student's card valid, haha!
congrats ;)

still, the biggest fun was at 12.10. for a moment I really thought they would throw everyone out :haha: Sawicka was there too, big big mess.

ChinoRios4Ever
04-01-2008, 05:28 AM
:rolls:

your_valentine
04-01-2008, 09:41 AM
You can't play in rain on grass and hard. Now clay is a different thing. I remember last year when I attended Sopot and the players did play in heavy rain, it was Andreev-Simon. The match was stopped and then resumed after some time, if I remember well both players agreed to play in rain :scratch:

jcempire
04-01-2008, 02:54 PM
I like what you said, But I sure that not go happen

Deivid23
09-11-2009, 10:10 PM
Bumppppp

born_on_clay
09-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Sick idea
Next step will be playing on ice

ballbasher101
09-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Agreed, they should put on a pair of welly boots, man up and just deal with the elements

I am with you there :lol:. If the players can't afford welly boots I will lend them mine :lol:.

Ilovetheblues_86
09-11-2009, 10:17 PM
They should play in a cheese surface.
Or a chocolate one.
Humm... :drool:

penzias
09-11-2009, 10:38 PM
http://www.tenisplaya.com/fotos/instalacion/marea-bajando1.jpg

http://www.tenisplaya.com/fotos/instalacion/lonas.jpg

http://www.tenisplaya.com/fotos/ferrero.jpg

http://www.tenisplaya.com/Galeria_de_fotos.htm#

The tournament is held in Luanco, north of Spain, every year.
Among the winners yu can find David Ferrer, Moyá, Ferrero, Corretja, Mantilla...
http://www.tenisplaya.com/Cuadro_de_honor.htm

dijus
09-11-2009, 10:45 PM
quality bump

why,marat,why?
09-11-2009, 10:48 PM
I agree. I train with my high school team in the rain all the time. If it's pouring, obviously you cannot continue. But drizzle to even medium if the court is warm is perfectly playable, you just have to be AN ATHLETE and adjust.
I'm sure many, many of the pros have played in rain before. The quality would just be a bit worse, but it would different, and no less exciting. And I agree with an earlier poster, perhaps more cautious play = less unforced errors and fewer injuries. Only a plus.
But it's whatever.

Forehander
09-11-2009, 11:00 PM
see through shirt and pants.

freeandlonely
09-11-2009, 11:12 PM
good thread:cool:

Dmitry Verdasco
09-11-2009, 11:36 PM
This is a good thread.

They should play in light rain, get ova it diva'z. :rolleyes:

GlennMirnyi
09-11-2009, 11:38 PM
My dad once suggested they make the players play without water breaks :haha: . AO would be fun.

Oh the irony.

Before there were no breaks in tennis - AT ALL. Players would go on and keep playing until the set was over.

garad
09-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Agreed.

We also need to create some new playing surfaces and conditions. Playing on the Moon would be interesting.

It would be a nightmare for ballboys though...

JediFed
09-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Moon tennis would be awesome. You'd get aces just by drilling the ball high. Nadal would be the ultimate champion, no one could hit his topspin balls.

Bargearse
09-12-2009, 12:39 AM
I personally lurrrve playing in the rain. The balls get so heavy and laden down with water that it becomes very challenging to even get the ball over the net! It's great.

malisha
09-12-2009, 12:56 AM
I personally lurrrve playing in the rain. The balls get so heavy and laden down with water that it becomes very challenging to even get the ball over the net! It's great.

spot on

great thread btw.

fast_clay
09-12-2009, 01:03 AM
i have heard about this rain tennis phenomenon... it has broken people...

bitta sand and lay some astroturf down... the courts have good drainage, lets get it on...

bjurra
09-12-2009, 02:32 PM

The balls are ruined after 5 minutes and the players elbows after 30 minutes.

The only ATP match I have watched that was entirely played in rain was Luzcak - Mayer in Munich 2005. There were about 20 people watching the match on centre court, the rest of the spectators were consuming beer and sausage in the club restaurant.

tea
09-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Water polo with the racquets.:drool:

Harmless
09-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Water polo with the racquets.:drool:

Yes. :hearts:
Should be mandatory in Wimbledon, what with the white t-shirts and all. :hearts:

River
09-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Water skis are a must.

You might as well ice the court too and let them play. Rafa would slide like no other....

...and Monfils would drop like a dumbass fairy, always jumping and stuff.

But in all seriousness, if it was a GS Final, then I would agree. It's a freakin GS, play through EVERYTHING. Imagine the image and statement that would make to non-tennis fans to have Rafa and Roger play through grueling weather.

I don't think Rafa would mind as much as Roger... god forbid he'd get his $300 nike shirt wet >>;

straitup
09-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Water skis are a must.

You might as well ice the court too and let them play. Rafa would slide like no other....

...and Monfils would drop like a dumbass fairy, always jumping and stuff.

But in all seriousness, if it was a GS Final, then I would agree. It's a freakin GS, play through EVERYTHING. Imagine the image and statement that would make to non-tennis fans to have Rafa and Roger play through grueling weather.

I don't think Rafa would mind as much as Roger... god forbid he'd get his $300 nike shirt wet >>;

But if he knew if was gonna rain, he would have a $500 Nike rain jacket or special rain shirt

xohxmyx
09-12-2009, 04:45 PM
im all for rain tennis, two (most likely) hot guys running around getting wet? whats not to like:shrug:
and fellas just think about it...2 hot tennis chicks out in the rain...imagine the THRILL of an all white clad wimbledon then:aplot:

but seriously its just water so yes you may fall and hurt yourself...federer and verdasco's hair might get a little ruined...but it most likely wouldnt kill them, and all matches would be played on time and the uso in particular might not suck so much:yeah:

so i say harden the f**k up and play in the rain!!!

Etern
09-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Great idea

LoveFifteen
09-13-2009, 12:11 AM
I'm sure Federer's already got a big Nike raincoat with a glittering 16 emblazoned on the back. :angel:

Bargearse
09-13-2009, 12:39 AM
The balls are ruined after 5 minutes and the players elbows after 30 minutes.

The only ATP match I have watched that was entirely played in rain was Luzcak - Mayer in Munich 2005. There were about 20 people watching the match on centre court, the rest of the spectators were consuming beer and sausage in the club restaurant.

Yep... I've played in the rain and hitting a wet ball does hurt the elbow and the wrist.

:unsure:If the players had to play in the rain, well it shouldn't stop there. How about introducing the ice court or the mud court or make them wear roller skates or perhaps raise the net a few metres so they have to hit moonballs and place mini tramps around the court so the players can hit a smash. Slam dunk tennis.:unsure: :rolleyes:

straitup
09-13-2009, 12:52 AM
Everyone on Tennis Forum is a bunch of pussies...they started the same thread and it's not the most popular idea :lol:

Roddickominator
09-13-2009, 12:58 AM
They play NFL football in the rain....and soccer as well(right?). I don't see why tennis wouldn't work.

Chuck Palumbo
09-07-2011, 07:28 PM

Orka_n
09-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Just get your swimtrunks and let's go.