FireGimelstob.com [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

FireGimelstob.com

youngbuck
03-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Who's up to create this site? I just may shoot myself if I have to keep listening to him during tennis matches. Not only does he find ways to get on his knees for boy Roddick no matter who's playing but his bias is on another level. I always expect bias when commentators are watching players from their country but this is down right brutal.

Watching him during this Blake/Santoro match is hilarious, when Blake breaks Santoro at love in the 3rd set: "THERE YOU GO JAMES, WHAT A TACTIC TO CONSERVE YOUR ENERGY IN THE 3RD SET TO BREAK SANTORO. SMART PLAY FROM JAMES."

Then comes the next game where Santoro breaks back James at love. What do we hear from Gimelstob? That entire game he did not say a word. Not a single word.

Oh yeah to make it worse, his voice is terrible for TV. It's not something you want to listen to for a long period of time.

blknoc
03-30-2008, 08:02 PM
Justin may have his issues but the RunTedRobinsonOutOfTown.com site is in greater need.

youngbuck
03-30-2008, 08:04 PM
I'd listen to Ted Robinson by himself all day after having to listen to the Barry Tompkins/Gimelstob combo for IW.

*Ljubica*
03-30-2008, 08:05 PM
Who's up to create this site? I just may shoot myself if I have to keep listening to him during tennis matches. Not only does he find ways to get on his knees for boy Roddick no matter who's playing but his bias is on another level. I always expect bias when commentators are watching players from their country but this is down right brutal.

Watching him during this Blake/Santoro match is hilarious, when Blake breaks Santoro at love in the 3rd set: "THERE YOU GO JAMES, WHAT A TACTIC TO CONSERVE YOUR ENERGY IN THE 3RD SET TO BREAK SANTORO. SMART PLAY FROM JAMES."

Then comes the next game where Santoro breaks back James at love. What do we hear from Gimelstob? That entire game he did not say a word. Not a single word.

Oh yeah to make it worse, his voice is terrible for TV. It's not something you want to listen to for a long period of time.

Move to the UK - we don't get his commentary here :) Our commentators are still very biased though - I think it kind of goes with the territory!

~*BGT*~
03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Commentators who commentate in a particular country are gonna be biased because of their audience.

onewoman74
03-30-2008, 08:11 PM
I'd listen to Ted Robinson by himself all day after having to listen to the Barry Tompkins/Gimelstob combo for IW.

I second that motion!!

He has such a frat boy mentality, that it's hard to listen to him talk. The Santoro/Blake was excruciating to watch because of Gimbelstob.

tangerine_dream
03-30-2008, 08:12 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=113129

Fee
03-30-2008, 08:19 PM
If you hate him that much, then you should write directly to Fox Sports and tell them. That would take about the same amount of time as posting here at MTF.

~*BGT*~
03-30-2008, 08:22 PM
^^^ And probably do about the same amount of good.

blknoc
03-30-2008, 08:31 PM

Yikes!:scared:

FluffyYellowBall
03-30-2008, 08:58 PM
I dont listen to him that match... Only youtube really but i agree...And his voice REALLY is annoying.

zethand
03-30-2008, 09:25 PM
I hate Gimelstob too! And I am glad that we have this kind of threads to show our hate and do not keep it for ourselves!

Nathaliia
03-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Nice bias :lol:

mangoes
03-30-2008, 10:23 PM
Justin may have his issues but the RunTedRobinsonOutOfTown.com site is in greater need.

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

soraya
03-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Hating and having someone die just because you don't like their commentary is a bit too much.

MIMIC
03-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Gibelstob is exceptionally terrible. He just is not a great commentator at all. During Indian Wells when he said that Fish has one of the best serves on the tour, that's when I knew that he was crazy.

FluffyYellowBall
03-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Move to the UK - we don't get his commentary here :) Our commentators are still very biased though - I think it kind of goes with the territory!

No, move to Egypt! Becaus ethe commentators are all football football football and can barely pronounce any players names...And they show football ads during rain delays which is way better that showing another match:o

moon language
03-30-2008, 11:49 PM
Just be happy there's no Cliff Drysdale.

Howard
03-31-2008, 12:08 AM
I usually mute the commentary on all sporting events, except for a few done by people like McEnroe. They rarely tell you anything you don't know.

Deboogle!.
03-31-2008, 12:13 AM
I usually mute the commentary on all sporting events, except for a few done by people like McEnroe. They rarely tell you anything you don't know.I like hearing the sounds of tennis - the sounds the ball makes when it comes off the racquet, the squeaks of the shoes, the crack of the serves, the crowd reactions, when players talk to themselves, all that stuff. I've just learned to pretty much tune out the commentating, I dunno why other people feel the need to whine about it and wish bad things upon the people they don't like. Just tune it out, it's not that hard. Or laugh at it - that makes it fun.

Lee
03-31-2008, 12:16 AM
I like hearing the sounds of tennis - the sounds the ball makes when it comes off the racquet, the squeaks of the shoes, the crack of the serves, the crowd reactions, when players talk to themselves, all that stuff. I've just learned to pretty much tune out the commentating, I dunno why other people feel the need to whine about it and wish bad things upon the people they don't like. Just tune it out, it's not that hard. Or laugh at it - that makes it fun.

Right on! I can always tune out commentary. The only thing I can't tune out is the grunt of Sharapova and female players alike. But I won't complain as I enjoy the grunt of Guga :p

Fee
03-31-2008, 12:19 AM
Ted Robinson doesn't bother me.

But Justin... yes he needs to die.

Or get fired, I'm fine with either.

Thank you for wishing death on a friend of mine. Pure class.

MyPrecious
03-31-2008, 12:33 AM
Maybe it's just me but I don't find Justin to be as annoying this week :shrug:

I think he was given a good "talking to" by some of the higher ups ;)

Deboogle!.
03-31-2008, 12:39 AM
I think part of it is because he has a better co-commentator. I realize some people here don't like Ted Robinson but he's a million times better than that Tompkins dude and he at least knows tennis and covers it more regularly. So justin doesn't have to take the reigns as much. I do agree, he was pretty bad during the Blake/Santoro match, but it was also a bizarre match. He didn't bother me yesterday during their coverage.

Lee
03-31-2008, 12:39 AM
Maybe it's just me but I don't find Justin to be as annoying this week :shrug:

I think he was given a good "talking to" by some of the higher ups ;)

Not just you.

dam0dred
03-31-2008, 12:41 AM
Thank you for wishing death on a friend of mine. Pure class.

You're welcome. :)

cobalt60
03-31-2008, 12:49 AM
I changed my mind. This place is as much fun as having to get a tooth pulled. Lights out MTF :wavey:

Lee
03-31-2008, 01:10 AM
I don't know Justin Gimelstob personally and I don't really follow him as a player. But I sincerely hope many posters here that next time you start a brand new career with your new job, nobody will start a web site asking for you to be fired or a death wish on you after less than a month on the job.

tennisrocks123
03-31-2008, 01:17 AM
YES!!! He is terrible, I cannot stand to hear him talk. Ted Robinson has always been bad, but together = DEATH... Boy do I miss ESPN coverage now

DhammaTiger
03-31-2008, 01:28 AM
It really astonishes me how anyone can hate a person wish them dead or hope they lose their livelihood and without that person having done any harm to them or their families. To wish ill to a living being is one of the worst of the poisons that our mind that can come up with. To do that without batting an eyelash is astonishing indeed.

Forehander
03-31-2008, 03:44 AM
Gimelstob is obviously a huge jerk. I remember hearing this phone interview or something he had with Kirilenko. But Australian Commentators are just as bad anyway as to being bias.

savesthedizzle
03-31-2008, 03:59 AM
It's just how it is. Commentary is not really for people who "know" tennis. Because we don't need it, we can comment for ourselves. It's for the people who don't know tennis, and that's why all of us are never really satisfied with it, no matter who it is :p

I mean they tell the same stories every time a certain player plays because they assume you've never heard it before. The "Ivanovic training in a swimming pool" story, the "Djokovic pizza/pancake restaurant" story.. I mean they're the same ones every match.

Today Justin said during the Blake/Santoro match kind of all excitedly, "Oh you know what nickname the players have for Santoro in the locker room?" *pause* *pause* and then Justin is like "THE MAGICIAN" That's not just in the locker room, everyone who knows tennis knows that nickname... but that's just not who commentary is for. Commentary (at least in the US) is for Joe Schmo who watches tennis twice a year and can maybe name 2 players off the top of their head. One of which is probably Sharapova and the other is probably Agassi. :shrug:

Deboogle!.
03-31-2008, 04:27 AM
It really astonishes me how anyone can hate a person wish them dead or hope they lose their livelihood and without that person having done any harm to them or their families. To wish ill to a living being is one of the worst of the poisons that our mind that can come up with. To do that without batting an eyelash is astonishing indeed.Could not agree with you more.

Gimelstob is obviously a huge jerk..I'm sorry, how do you know he's a jerk? You're determining this based on his TV Commentary of tennis matches? Have you ever met him in person? I mean don't get me wrong, I am not a huge fan, but I've had brief encounters with him and he's always been kind and polite. Maybe he's not a great commentator, he might not even disagree with you if you asked him, but that doesn't make him a jerk or a bad person.

Jess, I think you nail it on the head.

I think Justin's problem is actually that he gets over-excited and sometimes doesn't quite think out what he's going to say - he just releases it and reacts and so sometimes he says some stuff that just makes me say to myself "wait a second, did he really just say THAT?" It's funny because even good commentators do some stuff that's worth constructive criticism. I generally like PMac and Cliffy, but they're obviously not perfect. I really like the guys who do the ATP World Feed that TTC carries, but they are so fickle, a guy could be losing, but if he ends up winning the match at the end you'd think he played great the whole way sometimes, things like that. No one's perfect. Obviously, different people will appeal to different tastes and some commentators just have the knack for it - like I think Darren Cahill was good from the first stuff he did on ESPN, and some people take a long time to get good at it. Is it really worth the personal attacks in this thread though? Oh wait, this is MTF :tape:

Forehander
03-31-2008, 04:33 AM
Could not agree with you more.

I'm sorry, how do you know he's a jerk? You're determining this based on his TV Commentary of tennis matches? Have you ever met him in person? I mean don't get me wrong, I am not a huge fan, but I've had brief encounters with him and he's always been kind and polite. Maybe he's not a great commentator, he might not even disagree with you if you asked him, but that doesn't make him a jerk or a bad person.

No. He's a Jerk. End of story.

Marek.
03-31-2008, 04:37 AM
I don't mind Gimelstob. He can get repetitive but overall he's pretty good IMO.

Ted Robinson on the other hand... :o :o :o I would donate money for that website.

Allez-Alejo
03-31-2008, 04:46 AM
I'm so sick of hearing about this garbage...we all know you dislike Gimel because of his association with Roddick and their theatrics at the USO. You hate their fratboy image and antics because you're jealous you couldn't have thought of it to begin with, not that I'm defending fratboys. Anyone who watches tennis regularly tunes out announcers anyway, except on masters series TV...Robbie Koenig is great.

Aerien
03-31-2008, 07:08 AM
I personally do not wish for him to get fired. He does not do commentary for any channels that do coverage in my country so I really do not want him to move into any of them if he does get fired from his current gig. I say this based on that awful segment on the Tonight Show that Jay Leno let him do during the US Open before his official retirement. If that was any indication of the quality of material and personality he'll be bringing, I don't want any of it. :o

Ferrero Forever
03-31-2008, 07:17 AM
Gimelstob is obviously a huge jerk. I remember hearing this phone interview or something he had with Kirilenko. But Australian Commentators are just as bad anyway as to being bias.

Exactly. Gimelstob could not nearly be as bad as John Newcombe. Seriously, I want to smash my fist into my TV screen when he starts talking. Navratilova was another one that should never be allowed to commentate again, even though she's not aussie.

S.K
03-31-2008, 10:17 AM
Exactly. Gimelstob could not nearly be as bad as John Newcombe. Seriously, I want to smash my fist into my TV screen when he starts talking.
Haha yes. I look forward to listening to 'Newk' again at Wimbledon this year. Listen for him in any Hewitt tie-break when the opponent is about to have their two serves to say 'Now, we need Lleyton to get on of these two points here. It would be asking too much for him to get both.'

Slasher
03-31-2008, 10:30 AM
Gimelstob does act like his mother dropped him on his head too many times, but still he's not so awful compared to some of the guest commentators at BBC I heard last summer. John McEnroe and Pat Cash can be funny and insightful, but Greg Rusedski, Boris Becker and Navratilova have nothing interesting to say yet insist on talking anyway. Gimelstob at least can be entertaining, though usually in a point and laugh sort of way.

Ferrero Forever
03-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Haha yes. I look forward to listening to 'Newk' again at Wimbledon this year. Listen for him in any Hewitt tie-break when the opponent is about to have their two serves to say 'Now, we need Lleyton to get on of these two points here. It would be asking too much for him to get both.'

He'd have Hewitt's babies if he could. He's probably really jealous of Bec. I reckon Newk is half the reason I can't stand Hewitt so much.

HeretiC
03-31-2008, 10:52 AM
I like hearing the sounds of tennis - the sounds the ball makes when it comes off the racquet, the squeaks of the shoes, the crack of the serves, the crowd reactions, when players talk to themselves, all that stuff. I've just learned to pretty much tune out the commentating, I dunno why other people feel the need to whine about it and wish bad things upon the people they don't like. Just tune it out, it's not that hard. Or laugh at it - that makes it fun.

That works for me just perfect. I am imagining that I am listening some comedy clowns .;)

Forehander
03-31-2008, 11:37 AM

Rofl commentary at it's best :worship:

"Now this is what I like to see Lleyton do more often, be aggressive and finish the point with a nice easy volley, which he's very capable of. He doesn't notice it, but he can volley MUCH BETTER THAN he thinks he can, one of the best in the world."

The Pro
03-31-2008, 11:51 AM
I guess every country has mixed commentating quality. Some American commentators, like Tracy frickin Austin, drive me crazxy, but Liev Cyrus(sp) is quite likable.

The problem with the British commentators is that they are so DRY. Frew (South African I know) McMillan never does anything but make short comments especially. If someone jokes he just ignores them. Andrew Castle, Peter Fleming are ok, the rest are old fogies if you ask me.

Then there's Barry Cowan, who's kinda weird. :confused:

Deboogle!.
03-31-2008, 02:12 PM
That works for me just perfect. I am imagining that I am listening some comedy clowns .;)It's like a game, what stupid thing will they say next? Could be a fun drinking game too :angel:

knight_ley
03-31-2008, 02:24 PM
:lol: @ the thread title. :yeah:

kristanmichelle
03-31-2008, 02:34 PM
He may not be the best, but he is definitely not the worst I have ever heard. Also, he is inexperienced, although he may have a natural talent for it. I think he will learn and get better with a little bit of time.

Neely
03-31-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm shocked how offensive some people are reacting :eek:

I didn't listen to him as a commentator yet (and probably never will) and I don't know him much at all, but I really liked up on him during the McFit Masters Exhibition last year because I thought he said some lovely things and had a funny attitude in general :angel: Okay, the whole event was fun in the first place, but still ;)

Deboogle!.
03-31-2008, 03:22 PM
I'm shocked how offensive some people are reacting :eek: Rude and personally attacking reactions should never be a shock in GM neely dear ;)

cobalt60
03-31-2008, 03:32 PM
Rude and personally attacking reactions should never be a shock in GM neely dear ;)

Not just in GM. Sucks away all the fun sometimes:p

smucav
03-31-2008, 04:56 PM
but Liev Cyrus(sp) is quite likable.Leif Shiras:
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/default.asp?playersearch=shiras

uNIVERSE mAN
03-31-2008, 05:24 PM
The guys on atpmastersseries.tv basically suck Andy Murray's dick whenever he's on.

l_mac
03-31-2008, 05:33 PM
John McEnroe and Pat Cash can be funny and insightful,
:spit: :haha:
I guess every country has mixed commentating quality. Some American commentators, like Tracy frickin Austin, drive me crazxy, but Liev Cyrus(sp) is quite likable. I don't like Leif Shiras :(

The problem with the British commentators is that they are so DRY. Frew (South African I know) McMillan never does anything but make short comments especially. If someone jokes he just ignores them. Andrew Castle, Peter Fleming are ok, the rest are old fogies if you ask me.

Then there's Barry Cowan, who's kinda weird. :confused:

I'm not that keen on Frew McMillan (thought I was the only person who didn't enjoy him) but I :hearts: Andrew Castle and his nonsense. Fleming worked better when he could react incredulously to the garbage that poured from the mouth of Chris "sly wink to camera" Bailey :worship: :worship: I really miss their dynamic :bigcry: And I really, really miss Chris Bailey. I hate BlandyNotChrisBailey :mad:

Petchey is okay. But Cowan :fiery: :fiery: I'm sure he posts on this board as one of the more delusional Fed fanboys (maybe stebs :haha:) Did anyone see him and Blandy totally lose it last night because they dropped a pen??? :o

(I was joking about Cowan being stebs)

Castafiore
03-31-2008, 05:35 PM
(I was joking about Cowan being stebs)
:lol:
Kind of kills the joke if you need to say that it's a joke, right? ;)

l_mac
03-31-2008, 05:36 PM
:lol:
Kind of kills the joke if you need to say that it's a joke, right? ;)

Right, but you know how often I am misinterpreted :sad: People want to think badly of me. :sobbing:

Slasher
03-31-2008, 07:00 PM
:spit: :haha:

Sue Barker, Navratilova and John Floyd regurgitated one cliche after another. Cash at least kept the conversations lively. You got problem?

l_mac
03-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Sue Barker, Navratilova and John Floyd regurgitated one cliche after another. Cash at least kept the conversations lively. You got problem?

Have I got a problem? I don't know :shrug: Is it a problem that I don't find Cash funny or insightful?

r2473
03-31-2008, 07:11 PM
He may not be the best, but he is definitely not the worst I have ever heard. Also, he is inexperienced, although he may have a natural talent for it. I think he will learn and get better with a little bit of time.

I agree. I sort of like him.

He will continue to polish his "act" and get better as the years go on (and he will be around for years I should think).