Saturday: The most sought after match of the day was not a singles match... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Saturday: The most sought after match of the day was not a singles match...

tennis elbow
03-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Long lines, throngs of people waiting on cue under a hot sun in what turned up to be the most sough after ticket for the Saturday session of the 2008 SonyEricsson Open: the doubles match between the Bryan brothers against Nadal and Robredo... SOme people waited for over an hour and still did not get the chance to enter sizable Court 1, where the match was held. Anna Chakvetadze, playing the match before, had probably never played for a more boisterous and large crowd before :lol: ...

On an unrelated note, the WTA matches are again being very poorly attended these first rounds around, and poor scheduling may have something to do about it... The main stadium, packed for Federer's match in the night session, was completely emptied out for the Jankovic's match that followed it up. Anna Chakvetadze will probably suffer the same fate, as she is scheduled to play after the Canas match. There are very few WTA stars that are able to hold their own and the public's interest to keep them on their seats, but i am afraid Anna is not one of them...

Mansave_75
03-30-2008, 03:50 PM
So Rafa has a media power too, he has the factor that he can have attention of the crowd.

Roland9
03-30-2008, 03:54 PM
Well, of course Rafa has a media power, he is the No. 2 in the world.

I agree on the poor attandence for WTA, should be better.

Chiseller
03-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Took me a minute to figure out what the title means, "sought" didn't make any sense. Use a hyphen next time! :mad::lol:

i am afraid Anna is not one of them
.. not yet one ..

But yeh, I wonder why, for example, eurosport is broadcasting way more WTA matches than ATP. They gotta be cheap. ;)

Raquel
03-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Anna Chakvetadze, playing the match before, had probably never played for a more boisterous and large crowd before :lol: ...

I'm not so sure about that ;) http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=AfB7a3eT2Eg&feature=related

Jimnik
03-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Bod and Mike are superstars after winning the Davis Cup. :banana:

its.like.that
03-30-2008, 05:27 PM
stop with the bullshit

~*BGT*~
03-30-2008, 05:32 PM
I would have been more excited about Murray/Ancic.

Deboogle!.
03-30-2008, 06:04 PM
Long lines, throngs of people waiting on cue under a hot sun in what turned up to be the most sough after ticket for the Saturday session of the 2008 SonyEricsson Open: the doubles match between the Bryan brothers against Nadal and Robredo... SOme people waited for over an hour and still did not get the chance to enter sizable Court 1, where the match was held. Anna Chakvetadze, playing the match before, had probably never played for a more boisterous and large crowd before :lol: ...
I couldn't believe it when I saw this match scheduled on Court 1, it could have easily filled the stadium or at least the 5000 or so seat grandstand - the Bryans, who are more popular than a lot of singles players in the US, and Rafa.....pretty dumb decision really to put them on this small court and a real shame that so many fans were shut out.

So Rafa has a media power too, he has the factor that he can have attention of the crowd.I dunno about that. During Roddick's match, you could hear the screams on TV when the Bryans won the first set and they said that fans were leaning over the main stadium to watch this match, I guess court 1 is right next to the stadium. I'm sure it was the combination of both teams that created such chaos, the Bryans attract huge crowds at every tourney I've been to that they've played at.

*Ljubica*
03-30-2008, 08:20 PM
I couldn't believe it when I saw this match scheduled on Court 1, it could have easily filled the stadium or at least the 5000 or so seat grandstand - the Bryans, who are more popular than a lot of singles players in the US, and Rafa.....pretty dumb decision really to put them on this small court and a real shame that so many fans were shut out.

I dunno about that. During Roddick's match, you could hear the screams on TV when the Bryans won the first set and they said that fans were leaning over the main stadium to watch this match, I guess court 1 is right next to the stadium. I'm sure it was the combination of both teams that created such chaos, the Bryans attract huge crowds at every tourney I've been to that they've played at.

Sometimes at Wimbledon they specifically put "big" doubles matches like this on outside courts, especially at weekends when lots of kids are around, to give as many opportunities as possible for people to see the "stars" they wouldn't normally get a chance to see live. Could this have been the reason for this scheduling? Certainly, here in Europe, prices for stadium courts at weekends can be very expensive and would preclude people still at school or perhaps unemployed from buying them. You can't really expect someone like Nadal to play a singles match on a little outside court, so perhaps scheduling his doubles there, at least allowed those people with cheaper grounds passes to see him, and the Bryans, play live.

Lee
03-31-2008, 12:55 AM
Sometimes at Wimbledon they specifically put "big" doubles matches like this on outside courts, especially at weekends when lots of kids are around, to give as many opportunities as possible for people to see the "stars" they wouldn't normally get a chance to see live. Could this have been the reason for this scheduling? Certainly, here in Europe, prices for stadium courts at weekends can be very expensive and would preclude people still at school or perhaps unemployed from buying them. You can't really expect someone like Nadal to play a singles match on a little outside court, so perhaps scheduling his doubles there, at least allowed those people with cheaper grounds passes to see him, and the Bryans, play live.

I don't think so. When I was in Indian Wells, they scheduled the men's doubles matches in the smallest outside court where there are other much bigger courts that have the same accessability. Of course, the court was solid packed with lots of people waiting to get in or looking from outside.

Deboogle!.
03-31-2008, 01:04 AM
They put a women's doubles match on the stadium the other day, they also did it at IW a couple times. I understand why they couldn't put it on the Grandstand because it's a TV court and so many countries have broadcast requests that the Grandstand is full of men's singles. But it's still quite a shame. Also the problem in Miami seems to be that they only have two show courts. At least at IW, there are three, because despite having no TV coverage, court 3 is just as big as court 2. But even then, that court got awfully full sometimes. Yes it's nice to see top players/teams on outside courts, but at the same time when they know a match is gonna be packed, it's a shame that more people did not get to see it.

And Lee's exactly right about what happened in IW. Same thing happened later in the weekend when there was a men's match that was packed to the gills on court 5 and people were on court 4 where a women's singles match was being played and people were looking over onto court 5 b/c they apparently would rather watch Clement and Llodra play Melo and Sa instead of some WTA stuff. Just a sham that doubles is just tossed to the side, whether it's top players/teams or not.

Lee
03-31-2008, 01:14 AM
I also hate to admit that the top single players playing doubles is part of the reason for the popularity in the doubles match I saw. Like the Cañas/Nalbandian vs Fyrstenberg/Matkowski I watched. I bet 90% of the people in that court knew nothing about the Polish pair. :tape:

Deboogle!.
03-31-2008, 01:18 AM
Maybe, but I sat in the Clement/Llodra vs Melo/Sa match for most of the first set and I wouldn't call any of those guys particularly famous and the court was absolutely packed. All around me, people were talking about how much they love doubles and here it is on court 5 with 3 rows of seats on each side. Shame these tourney organizers don't realize that.

Lee
03-31-2008, 01:25 AM
Maybe, but I sat in the Clement/Llodra vs Melo/Sa match for most of the first set and I wouldn't call any of those guys particularly famous and the court was absolutely packed. All around me, people were talking about how much they love doubles and here it is on court 5 with 3 rows of seats on each side. Shame these tourney organizers don't realize that.

It's better than court 7 with 3 rows of seats on ONE side :lol:

Deboogle!.
03-31-2008, 01:26 AM
true true :lol:

S.K
03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
No suprises to see such a big crowd for another Tommy Robredo classic.

CyBorg
03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Took me a minute to figure out what the title means, "sought" didn't make any sense. Use a hyphen next time! :mad::lol:

Looks gramatically correct to me.

Tutu
03-31-2008, 04:49 PM
It should have been put on a main court. I remember last years wimbledon when Venus and Serena played two Brits. It was on court 18. Loads of peole always want to see the brits play and even more would love to see the williamses play. It was PACKED. There were hundreds and hundreds of people queuing up in a queue which went round the complex. It's obvious that when top players play doubles the crowds are that of two top players playing singles or even more because it's almost two players for one. People complain about the state of doubles in mens and womens tennis but it doesn't help when a big doubles match like that is put on an outside court.