Borg: Nadal's Number Will Be Up [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Borg: Nadal's Number Will Be Up

veyonce
03-28-2008, 04:45 PM
By Tennis Week 3/28/2008 2:04:00 PM

Hall of Famer Bjorn Borg believes Rafael Nadal's number may soon be up.

While third-ranked Novak Djokovic has set his sights on seizing the World No. 1 ranking from Roger Federer within a year, Borg said the second-ranked Spaniard is still Federer's successor as future No. 1.

"I believe the Spaniard will be the heir to the throne," Borg told the Spanish sports newspaper AS in comments published by AFP. "[Nadal is] working to become a total, complete player."

The three-time French Open champion has not won a tournament title since capturing the Stuttgart championship last July and the fact the Nadal plays a grinding, physically-grueling style so reliant on his legs has led to increasing speculation the muscular Mallorcan may wear down or become injury-prone as his career progresses.

Borg said he heard the same speculation during his playing days and suggests if Nadal manages his tournament schedule wisely he has a successful future ahead of him."The same thing was said about me. That my style of play led to injuries, but I love his tennis," said Borg, who is currently in Madrid where he will play an exhibition with John McEnroe said. "It's clear that he has to take care, not play too much. But he is young and he has a great future ahead of him."

Borg, who won Roland Garros six time and posted a 49-2 career record in Paris, said Djokovic can claim the top spot, but "in the future."

Nadal does not win nearly as many free points on his serve as Federer or Djokovic and drifts further back behind the baseline making it difficult for him to conclude points as quickly. Nadal, who plays German qualifier Benjamin Becker at the Sony Ericsson Open on Key Biscayne today, said he continues to work to adjust to faster surfaces and feels he can play closer to the baseline when he's confident.

"I have my style; [Djokovic] has his style. With my style I didn't have a bad results in the last years," Nadal said. "For sure I always try to improve my game, and if I have to play more inside, I try to play more inside. But for play more inside... when you are playing well, you can play inside. When you are not playing that well, you can't play like this, no, because you don't feel the ball perfect. So right now he's playing very well. I played very good tournament in Indian Wells. I played terrible match against Djokovic in semifinals, but the rest matches were before I was playing very well. So happy for my tournament. Maybe I can change something more for try to play on hard. But, you know, when I am No. 2 in the race, in the last years I have very good results on hard, too. The true in my mind is thinking I'm not doing bad things for playing in this surface."

The 21-year-ol Nadal dwarfed the dirt and the most dominant player of this era in capturing his third consecutive Roland Garros crown with a four-set victory over Roger Federer to leap into history in joining Borg as the only men to collect three straight French Open championships last June. Widely regarded as the best clay-court competitor since Borg ruled Roland Garros six times, Nadal's dream match is a showdown with the stoic Swede.

In an interview with Time Magazine last summer, Nadal said if he could face any player in his prime in history, he would select Borg.

"I'd choose [Bjorn] Borg," Nadal told Time. "He had such an incredible mental approach to the game. He had ice in his veins, and I'd love to see what I could do against him. If I had to say, I suppose he'd win."

While Nadal has drawn comparisons to Borg for his clay-court dominance, dazzling defensive skills and for his power of persistence, Borg said last year he believes Federer is has established an ideal for aspiring players to emulate.

"[Federer] simply does not have any more weaknesses left in him. It is such a pleasure to see him play," Borg said. "To me, Roger Federer is the right model for anyone aspiring to be a tennis player. It is such a pleasure to just watch him play. His shot-making has got better and I doubt there is any shot he cannot make in any part of the court."

Responding to concerns the sheer physicality of his game, which is so reliant on his legs and movement, could take a toll in cutting his career short, Nadal says his technique is more important than his physique to his success on court.

"I started playing very young, and if my career ends short, then it would be because I started playing younger than almost anyone else," Nadal said. "My tennis is aggressive, though I wouldn't say that it's more physical than technical. I rely more on technique than physique, but being physical is always a help to me."

elessar
03-28-2008, 04:47 PM
I love the timing of this article, right after the "Nadal's career is likely finished" one. Though I gotta say I like this one better ;)

Skyward
03-28-2008, 04:54 PM
Oh,well... Borg predicted that Roddick'd dominate the sport.

adee-gee
03-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Borg is such a Fedtard :rolleyes:

FedFan_2007
03-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Borg is such a Fedtard :rolleyes:

They even hugged after Wimbly last year. :sad:

Johnny Groove
03-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Apparently, Borg doesnt like Djokovic either :lol:

anon57
03-28-2008, 05:11 PM
I misread the title and initially thought Borg was buying into the Nadal's career is over hype. Good article, nice words about Nadal from Borg. Thanks for posting :yeah:

mashamaniac
03-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Borg predicted roger'd win wimbledon last year and he won,now i hope he'll be right on his 2nd prediction! rafa will hopefully win wimbly this year and soon after he'll be #1...

Rogiman
03-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Borg talking about the speculations that his style of play would lead to injuries: well, he did retire at 26 :shrug:

And of course Djokovic will soon overtake him.

Clay Death
03-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Borg predicted roger'd win wimbledon last year and he won,now i hope he'll be right on his 2nd prediction! rafa will hopefully win wimbly this year and soon after he'll be #1...

Borg is such a clown. he also predicted that Fed will win the French Open last year.

he is not predicting. he is hoping so his records would stand longer.

Alex999
03-28-2008, 05:42 PM
I love Borg but I wouldn't take too seriously things he says. He is just being polite. He also said that Novak was next #1.

Clay Death
03-28-2008, 05:45 PM
I love Borg but I wouldn't take too seriously things he says. He is just being polite. He also said that Novak was next #1.

everybody loves Borg but he is still being a clown. how could he have picked Fed to win the French Open last year after seeing the way Nadal was destroying everybody on clay circuit. he only won everything damn thing in sight except for Hamburg where he made finals.

Johnny Groove
03-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Borg talking about the speculations that his style of play would lead to injuries: well, he did retire at 26 :shrug:

He may have retired early but that wasnt due to injuries, was it?

Branimir
03-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Something is not right hehe. In Serbian newspaper there is interveiw with Borg, in which he say that Djokovic is next number 1 :)

Clay Death
03-28-2008, 06:04 PM
He may have retired early but that wasnt due to injuries, was it?

borg is full of shit. he was the healthiest, fittest, and the fastest player ever lived. he just could not get tired. the guy had a resting pulse rate in the low 30`s which is the same as the elite Tour de France cyclists.

he retired because he put simpy too much on his plate. it was the mental part. the wife, the mistresses, and all those business ventures and the like. even the pressure of having to dominate.

he could have hung around a little longer without all those distractions and there would have been still plenty of time for all those extracurricular activities.

Exodus
03-28-2008, 06:05 PM
nadal will never reach the no.1 spot period

star
03-28-2008, 06:23 PM
:kiss: Bjorn :kiss:

"but I love his tennis," said Borg,"

FedFan_2007
03-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Federer will never lose Wimbledon. In fact he has never lost a grand slam title.

tennizen
03-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Ok I like the fact that someone thinks Nadal will be # 1 but I can't take his word seriously. He's fluctuated between Fed and Nadal enough number of times( Made me think of Karin;)) and at times bandwaggoned Murray and Djokovic as well:lol:

Clay Death
03-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Federer will never lose Wimbledon. In fact he has never lost a grand slam title.

so says the very last Federeresian left on the board. all pushed aside by the surging population of Serbianoids.

star
03-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Ok I like the fact that someone thinks Nadal will be # 1 but I can't take his word seriously. He's fluctuated between Fed and Nadal enough number of times( Made me think of Karin;)) and at times bandwaggoned Murray and Djokovic as well:lol:
I think that Borg probably does like all of them, and sees their tremendous talents. On this board, there is a lot of choosing of sides. If you like Federer, you can't like Nadal. If you like Nadal, you can't like Federer. If you like Andy Roddick, you can't like tennis. and so on and so forth. But I think in the fresh air of the real world and when you see tennis players in real life on the court, you tend to have admiration for most of them.

But, I also wouldn't put too much stock in Borg's predictions. :)

tennizen
03-28-2008, 06:41 PM
I think that Borg probably does like all of them, and sees their tremendous talents. On this board, there is a lot of choosing of sides. If you like Federer, you can't like Nadal. If you like Nadal, you can't like Federer. If you like Andy Roddick, you can't like tennis. and so on and so forth. But I think in the fresh air of the real world and when you see tennis players in real life on the court, you tend to have admiration for most of them.

But, I also wouldn't put too much stock in Borg's predictions. :)

Oh his likes and dislikes are just fine. But he does make predictions which don't quite turn out to be true. So that's all I meant. I don't take MTF's animosity as gospel either:lol:

Sean
03-28-2008, 08:26 PM
If Nadal ever reaches number 1 i'll chop my balls off and you can call me Sally.

Mansave_75
03-28-2008, 08:41 PM
So let's believe Borg words, will he be the next prophet???

star
03-28-2008, 11:01 PM
If Nadal ever reaches number 1 i'll chop my balls off and you can call me Sally.

*bookmarks thread*

yellowboy906
03-28-2008, 11:10 PM

actually, i think nadal will reach number 1 but he won't stay there very long. can you package your balls and mail it to my house so my dog can eat it when nadal reaches number 1? i'd really appreciated it cause you help me save some money on dog food.

star
03-28-2008, 11:14 PM
actually, i think nadal will reach number 1 but he won't stay there very long. can you package your balls and mail it to my house so my dog can eat it when nadal reaches number 1? i'd really appreciated it cause you help me save some money on dog food.

Express overnight delivery only, of course. :lol:

mashamaniac
03-28-2008, 11:18 PM

So let's call you sally from now...:eek:

Sean
03-28-2008, 11:27 PM
:haha:
My manhood is safe for a while I think. Depends on the mono.

RagingLamb
03-29-2008, 12:04 AM
I liked the article. It's always nice to hear the opinion of one of the absolute greatest. I trust his opinion more than any "clown" around here.

Clay Death
03-29-2008, 12:07 AM
So let's call you sally from now...:eek:

exactly. Hi Sally.

Mansave_75
03-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Hello Sally How do you doin'?

Clay Death
03-29-2008, 12:19 AM
Hello Sally How do you doin'?

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha: